Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It is normal (and basically required) for full time MBAs to do an internship between their first and second years.

Jhoge, if you want to go strategy I suggest you recruit for bigfirm consulting. That process usually starts right when your first year starts.

Reporting back: ended up enrolling, recruited consulting, got MBB offer. Good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jhoge posted:

Reporting back: ended up enrolling, recruited consulting, got MBB offer. Good advice.

:hf:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Lol well ... congrats.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Grats. Now squirrel away as much money as possible before your brain melts and heart explodes.

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008

The Big Jesus posted:

Grats. Now squirrel away as much money as possible before your brain melts and heart explodes.

10+ years on SA means it’s way too late for that.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Wharton gave me an EMBA scholarship! Unobtainium! Now to come up with the other $205,000...

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
update on my MBA journey. Managed to land an internship with American Express for this summer. Dream role, dream location, and if I can leverage it into a full-time offer I'll be pretty much set for life.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

CharlestonJew posted:

update on my MBA journey. Managed to land an internship with American Express for this summer. Dream role, dream location, and if I can leverage it into a full-time offer I'll be pretty much set for life.

Big grats

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Slow Motion posted:

Wharton gave me an EMBA scholarship! Unobtainium! Now to come up with the other $205,000...

JFC I thought Sloan was insane at $178k raw. $205k AFTER the scholarship?!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Lol makes my 100k state school degree look like a bargain.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

JFC I thought Sloan was insane at $178k raw. $205k AFTER the scholarship?!

it appears my wife actually got a Deal at Ross at about $145k sticker?

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Which of the GMAT prep programs are best? I’m seeing the Official GMAT, Veritas, Manhattan Prep, and Princeton Review.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

When I took the GMAT in 2014 Manhattan was the best reviewed.

I did the class because I was pretty out of practice with testing, my first scores were bad and figured I could afford the premium for some extra structure and guidance.

It's pretty expensive compared to buying the books used and doing your own program and really expensive compared to diy via free resources. So, I don't blanket recommend my path to people.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hahahaha holy gently caress I thought I got it rough from McDonough, that is nuts. Though my loan balance is actually up to $200K or so after 8 years of negatively amortizing IBR payments. Come on, PSLF, big money, no whammy!

Xguard86 posted:

It's pretty expensive compared to buying the books used and doing your own program

This is what I did with Manhattan in...2009ish? Worked out well enough for me, I think I posted about it in this thread, would have probably put in more effort if I had been targeting a top school or something.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Got accepted to go on exchange to Fuqua next year in the Spring semester which I am pretty hyped about. Now I just have to hope I'll be allowed to travel by then.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

Valicious posted:

Which of the GMAT prep programs are best? I’m seeing the Official GMAT, Veritas, Manhattan Prep, and Princeton Review.

Official GMAT practice tests are by far the best. I'm sure their prep materials are also high quality. I bought a bunch of Kaplan books. Most were garbage. GMAT 800 was really good.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Hello, I'm going to be applying to Columbia early admission, and then Harvard, MIT and Stanford. If I don't get into Columbia I will also apply Booth, Warthon and Kellog.

Anyone went/goes to these schools and is willing to talk for a bit? I'm on the discord as well.

Thank you

no youre a liberal
Mar 28, 2009

our future

Mr. Nemo posted:

Hello, I'm going to be applying to Columbia early admission, and then Harvard, MIT and Stanford. If I don't get into Columbia I will also apply Booth, Warthon and Kellog.

Anyone went/goes to these schools and is willing to talk for a bit? I'm on the discord as well.

Thank you

i’m going to hbs

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

its almost hallowe posted:

i’m going to hbs

That's what i get for not checking this thread, I'd almost lost hope. Think I could contact you in some way? Are you in the discord?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

My most recent gmat was better than I expected. I didn’t study enough but I moved up a decent amount. Now I’m not sure if there is marginal utility to getting a better score at this stage vs working on my essay’s/figuring out where I want to apply.

Has anyone hired consultants for admissions?

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 15, 2022

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

crazypeltast52 posted:

My most recent gmat was better than I expected. I didn’t study enough but I moved up a decent amount. Now I’m not sure if there is marginal utility to getting a better score at this stage vs working on my essay’s/figuring out where I want to apply.

Has anyone hired consultants for admissions? Trying to decide how much I want to pay there. I’m looking at decent mba programs for my industry (commercial real estate), but they aren’t M7 schools.

Where you at? 700+ starts to have diminishing returns.

I didn't use any consultants but I'm a decent writer and put in my own legwork researching what strong applications look like. Also had two friends who are English PhDs to proof read lol.

If you're comfortable writing, googling and reading message boards (you post here so prob, yes you are) then idk how much utility you get from a consultant. Especially if you're not aiming for m7 HSW level competition.

no youre a liberal
Mar 28, 2009

our future

Mr. Nemo posted:

That's what i get for not checking this thread, I'd almost lost hope. Think I could contact you in some way? Are you in the discord?

i'm not in the discord but will join

no youre a liberal fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 7, 2021

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I applied to 2 M7 programs, got accepted into one, and interviewed a couple days ago to the other one.

In case that's helpful to anyone reading this in the future feel free to contact me for questions.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Hi folks, quick question that probably will lead to more questions as I’m not exactly sure where to go, and this might be the closest thread, or perhaps someone will have a better thread to ask in.

Having worked at multiple startups and have a decent amount of software engineering experience, I’d like to start working on fleshing out the business and investing side of it all. I’m not exactly sure what would be the next step, but a few things I’ve looked into:

- self-taught MBA or WGU
- Series 65 Investor accreditation
- CFA Fundamentals and see how that lands

Bachelors CS, Masters in Data Analytics, and 10+ years of experience, but also have a family so don’t have a ton of time to dig into something full time. What’s the next reasonable step to take?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Are you looking to be an engineering leader or pivot into something more financial/biz oriented?

If you want to pivot, the brand and pipeline will help. If you just need the info to progress as an engineering leader, ROI is more questionable.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I got accepted to Loyola’s MBA program for Fall 2022, but zero mention of any scholarship package. Do I need to apply separately for that.?
I’m also applying to Tsukuba in Japan (made it past first round, interview on Wednesday), and you’re automatically considered for a scholarship upon applying.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Where you at? 700+ starts to have diminishing returns.

I didn't use any consultants but I'm a decent writer and put in my own legwork researching what strong applications look like. Also had two friends who are English PhDs to proof read lol.

If you're comfortable writing, googling and reading message boards (you post here so prob, yes you are) then idk how much utility you get from a consultant. Especially if you're not aiming for m7 HSW level competition.

So my score was a 730, I have a couple top 10 programs in the list, but the rest is top 25.

As a further update, I finally left my job of 8.5 years after a 2 month quitting process ending last week so I am also starting my pre-MBA gap year.

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 11, 2021

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I think 730 is pretty maxed out, utility-wise. Congrats that's a great score and should be an asset anywhere.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Thanks! I'm taking a gap year starting last week so I'm going to be an interesting story, but I'm applying to a range of schools and left my job on good terms in case everything falls apart on me.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

How is everyone else's second round application day/night going?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Got into Booth's part time program with a partial scholarship, looking forward to starting. Mostly just posting so I remember to come back here with real questions.

Also I kinda applied and got in without a real idea of what I want to do with the degree besides "not my current job" so this will be fun.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

ranbo das posted:

Got into Booth's part time program with a partial scholarship, looking forward to starting. Mostly just posting so I remember to come back here with real questions.

Also I kinda applied and got in without a real idea of what I want to do with the degree besides "not my current job" so this will be fun.

Congrats! That is a nice program!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ranbo das posted:

One of my colleagues went through that program about four or five years ago and really enjoyed it.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

ranbo das posted:

I did this like 10 years ago (man, has it been that long already?). I enjoyed my time there, yeah post any questions you have here.

You will want to have a path figured out after the first quarter or two so you can tailor your classes. Very different class set if you want to be a consultant vs a quant or something.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I got into Loyola for this Fall, and I’m in a similar situation about career direction. My current plan is international sales in the medical assistive device industry, but I find myself engrossed more and more with finance the deeper I dive into it. I don’t want to sign up for classes in that area only to realize after that it’s not for me.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Interviewed with a couple schools so far in round 2, I think they went well, but I’m not sure I could tell if they didn’t?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Had interviews with 6 out of the 7 schools I applied to as of this time. Just have to breathe and wait for responses.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Accepted at one, rejected at one and the rest are tbd.

I’m going to business school goons!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Congrats! Welcome to "the problem"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no youre a liberal
Mar 28, 2009

our future

crazypeltast52 posted:

Accepted at one, rejected at one and the rest are tbd.

I’m going to business school goons!

where are you headed