Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
I was tooling around in the :v thread when I began to wonder, "Boy, it'd be neat to see some of these stupid emoticons modeled out." As an industrial designer, I've made some good use out of Solidworks, and have built a lot of neat poo poo in that program, and a lot of the time, just for shits and giggles. I've done the robots from MST3K, a lot of trippy kitchen gadgets, lights, furniture and all that, but sometimes it's the (relatively) simple stuff that really shines.

So I'm taking requests. What emoticons would you guys like to see in 3D? It's not only interesting (and sometimes challenging) to see what they'd look like if they weren't pixel art, but it can also offer insight into what some of them look like from a 3/4 view. Here are a few that I did already.

:iamafag:

Click here for the full 1920x1200 image.

:downsowned:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I'm adding the desktops to this post. Try not to request them. :)

:science:

:byodood:

:black101:

:smith:

Here are some awesome desktop-sized version to come out of this thread by other posters. (note: I'd love to include them all, but there are just so many that I'm only going to update with large versions, but I'll probably end up adding them all, anyway.)

:iiam: by Hackuma

A lovely tribute. by Channel_F

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

:toot: by omega pixel

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

:redhammer: by omega pixel

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

:hist101: by International Log

http://www.xs4all.nl/~anvile/temp/sa_smileys/hist_large1600x1200.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~anvile/temp/sa_smileys/hist_large1920x1200.jpg

:haw: by International Log

http://www.xs4all.nl/~anvile/temp/sa_smileys/haw_large1680.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~anvile/temp/sa_smileys/haw_large1920.jpg

(note: I'm waiting for Handiklap's awesome Centurion in large format before I post his)

:3: by orange lime

And some sweet animations.

:science: brought to life! by BiggestOrangeTree

Haha, oh god, :black101: is awesome. by Tekninja

:siren: I AM LAZY. But others are not! Many thanks to Fuderyuu for compiling a bunch of images.:siren:

SA_EmotesIn3D_pg1-27.rar - 34.9 MB

Unfortunately, I lost :v:, so I can't give a desktop version, but god, it's so simple, if anyone REALLY wanted it, I could do it again. What I want to know is what you guys are dying to see, and if you want to see different angles. :iamafag: looks particularly weird from certain angles. Keep in mind that Solidworks is parametric, meaning geometric, so some of the weirder ones, like :frog: would be very difficult to do without a surface-based modeling program (like Alias, which I don't have and also suck at).

I'll post relatively low-res versions, since they can take forever to render, but requests for desktop size will eventually be honored.

Update: This has grown into something I couldn't have predicted. SA's awesome 3D artists have emerged to produce some great work and I couldn't be happier to see it. It's great to see the bar constantly raised and to go for 55 loving pages and not see even a derail. Color me impressed. Well done, everyone.

Pumaman fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

The Wensey posted:

Why are the reflections seem to be the inside of somebody's kitchen or something?

Haha, it's a standard foreground image. I just like it, I guess. :)

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Ogma posted:

If you can export to Callada or X3D, you can print these at http://www.shapeways.com. Not that I'm certain you want to, but the option is there.

Solidworks can export STLs, which every 3D printer I've used has accepted.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
Well, luckily for some of you, :science: was the first I latched onto. I'm applying materials now. . . mattely this time.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

RustyTrombone posted:

:science: Please!

WE'RE OFF AN RUNNING

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
Here's another view. I'm going to work on something else, and that'll probably be it for tonight.

Edit: Hurf durf image.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Tekninja posted:

In 3d... animated!

Low quality, ill upload high quality later maybe. Gif sucks!

Haha, that's awesome. Anyway, I'll do desktops when I'm sure I'm done modeling. I want to get at least one more done and then you'll get 1600x1200 versions. No vectors though.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

orange lime posted:

Hi fellow ID goon! Where did you go to school?

This is an awesome idea for a thread...I think I'll keep this one open and maybe even contribute. I'm pretty good with SW and okay with Alias Studio and Maya.
Which one to do first...

Graduated from grand ol' Pratt in May! And yes, please, if you feel inspired, jump in!

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
B-B-B-B-:byodood:

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

I'm sure someone's going to get a kick out of that.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
Okay, I'm doing :science: at 1600x1200, so that means I'm taking a break for about half an hour (or more). Then I might do Smith because it doesn't seem like it's too hard, but hey, what do I know.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
^^^ That one would be appropriate to chrome plate, at least.

Anyway, as promised, here's the wallpaper size. I must have changed a light scheme but I'm not going to wait all that time for another one. At least not tonight. Also, gently caress me, the shadow got nipped.

:mad:

Oh well.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Plastik posted:

So can we get the model files from you at all? I'd love to render :science: myself and see what I can get out of it.

Absolutely you can, just don't complain that every sketch is under defined. GOD drat YOU PROFESSOR GENTLE. :argh: I'll edit those into the OP at some point.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
Last one for tonight.

:smith:

Edit: One more at a better angle.

Pumaman fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 28, 2008

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Nastyman posted:

Most emoticons I can think of have already been mentioned, so I just want to say how much this made my entire day. :v:

e: Can you do :black101:? Wallpaper sized would be awesome.

Alright you chowderheads, I'm still up and I don't see much sleep in my future. I'll do :black101: in a little bit. Right now I'm playing with depth of field captures.

Also, thanks for the support. This has been a lot of fun!

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Bonto posted:

hah! nice to see someone using solidworks for something other than dull Work drawings. Been using the program for years at work. Nice to see it used for something worthwhile.

You could do some of the wierder ones by making individual parts and bringing them together in assembly, or is that how your doing them already?

Naw, they're all single parts with separate bodies. I just don't want to do the ones with weird surface modulations, but I guess it'd be good to put loft to work.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Mo Hawk posted:

Yes. Yes to this. Black101 is on its way. My desktop is absolutely full of these damned renders because I never put stuff where it belongs and I know I'm going to just dump these into some folder I'll lose. :( I need this thread to organize myself.

Pumaman fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 28, 2008

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
Because it doesn't have balloons and poo poo flying out of it.

This one was AWESOME to build.

:black101:

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

I cheated on that one, but you'll never know how.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Souper Salad posted:

You imported the axe from a dxf file?

I'm insulted. Also, no.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Dr. Fred posted:

The black facepaint areas are actually holes in the face-sphere!

Busted!

:colbert: in the works.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

heeen posted:

Can we have a rotating version of this?

I'll see what I can do about that.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
Alright guys. I'm going to go grab a smoke and then I'll get colbert up. Then I'm going to have to probably lay down for a little bit. I'm exhausted. Tomorrow, or soon, I can go back to those first ones and make them matte, do some new guys and get all those desktop sizes up. What a night!

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Chwoka posted:

Can we get the battleaxe guy with a bakground being an army of :jihad: , :ninja: , and somehow :redhammer: ? I would love to put one of these as a desktop, but the backgrounds aren't interesting enough.

Well, I'm not going to make it my job to make them interesting -- I mean, I understand what you're saying, and I'll toss a few in, but when it gets this specific I have to draw the line.

(we'll see)

Anyway, I'm falling asleep and I'm getting frustrated. I need to go back into this one, but that's for another time. Bye for now, everyone, and thanks again.

:colbert:

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
I'm really loving impressed with you guys. I'm delighted that a couple of you have stepped up to the plate while I've been away (I'm on a bus back from Boston as we speak). The animated ones? Holy poo poo.

You guys rock, and I can't wait to get home and crank out :gonk: or :argh: or something loving crazy, because some of these are really inspiring. I'll have desktop sizes soon too! (and that rotating :byodood: ).

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
^^^^

Oh dear lord.(love it)

Gutter Monkey posted:

Hell yeah!

Suggestion: try putting a thin gap between the teeth rather than a line.

That's what I did for black. I did a spline on the teeth surface and did a sweep-cut, and rendered the cut as matte gray.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
THE MADNESS!

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Umbra Dubium posted:

I'm torn, too. The shapes on Handiklap's one seem to have a certain style, while International Log's textures seem to be more solid.

Yes, but which one would you put on your antenna?

Answer: Both.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

KillHour posted:

That's actually pretty easy. All these programs have "auto hair" brushes (I use Maya).

I might try one of these later.

Haha, not mine. I can think of a few ways to do it, but I just wouldn't want to. I've got desktop sizes of :byodood: and :black101: coming up.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

The Dash posted:

I'm amazed :eng101: hasn't been done yet.

Please? :(

Because I never gave my science guy eyes and I don't want everyone to know the truth. :(

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Pumaman posted:

Haha, not mine. I can think of a few ways to do it, but I just wouldn't want to. I've got desktop sizes of :byodood: and :black101: coming up.

CruJones posted:

So how hard would it be to make these real? And can I finance?

You can have them "printed" as plastic, which can then be molded and you could probably make silicon ones for dirt cheap.

To elaborate, my old alma mater has rapid prototyper that I can use, and it's much cheaper than having something outsourced. And hey, all money goes to the IDSA, so it's worth it.

Pumaman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 29, 2008

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

DeadFalling posted:

Any chance for 1920x1200 sizes like International Log? :P Gotta keep the competition up!:3:

:colbert:

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

shodanjr_gr posted:

Is it possible to get the SCIENCE emote model in OBJ format?

If the creator could upload it somewhere, id be eternally grateful.

Here are the file types I can export:

parasolid (.x_t)
parasolid binary (.x_b)
IGES (.igs)
STEP (.step)
ACIS (.sat)
VDAFS (.vda)
VRML (.wrl)
STL (.stl)
Universal 3D (.u3d)
3D XML (.3dxml)

Honestly, some of those might not even be usable for 3D modeling. I almost typed .tif, as if you could use that.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

shodanjr_gr posted:

What program are you using to make these?

Solidworks 2008.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
Matte version of :iamafag:

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Audiot posted:

Could some one do Microbe?

He is the best!

Working on this now!

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

Alfalfa posted:

Op you should compile all of them into the first post so people can pull anyones they want.
Just an idea.

Can do! I'm going to add my original model files too.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?
Hah, why did I do this, it's not even an emoticon.

Desktop on the way.

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

International Log posted:

:haw: looking in the camera:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~anvile/temp/sa_smileys/haw_closeup_1900.jpg

Just a heads-up Pumaman: last link of mine isn't working in the OP, also I have no thumbnails. How is a starving artist gonna pay his bills with conditions like this! :smithicide:

I'll fix that very soon.

Meanwhile, desktop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumaman
Dec 2, 2006

Are you an onion?

International Log posted:

Hah, yeah, the model of :hist101: is in the same scene as :haw: , forgot about that.

Here's :eng101: for your enjoyment:

If I need to render them bigger, I'm sure someone will send me a signal. :D

Nice job! Here's my attempt at :eng101: and :pseudo: