Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craftics
Jan 31, 2006

fuckin yeah
FF7 is relatively easy to break. I had Cloud with a mastered 2x cut (it turns into 4x cut at this point). A single attack command consisted of Cloud dishing out 4 attacks dealing 9999 damage each. That's more than the maximum of every skill and summon in the game except for KOTR and some limit breaks.

I don't remember where you get the 2x cut materia, but be sure not to miss it.

Craftics fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
I forgot about the 2x/4x materia. There's also a slash-all materia that come in handy with large groups of enemies.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I heard there are combinations with summon materia that stacks several ailments on enemies and something probably called Death/Dark Force.
I know you can stack several poison effects on enemies and wonder if you can stack a bunch of other fun stuff on one target and see it slowly die horribly.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I heard there are combinations with summon materia that stacks several ailments on enemies and something probably called Death/Dark Force.
I know you can stack several poison effects on enemies and wonder if you can stack a bunch of other fun stuff on one target and see it slowly die horribly.
There's always Hades/Contain/Time + Added Effect on weapons for that. It causes a whole load of fun stuff like death, stop and petrify. And it doesn't cost MP! It's also a half-assed substitute for a ribbon when combined in armor.

I had a lot of fun with Command Counter, but it's one of those that shows up too late to be especially useful. You can attach it to Mime and proceed to limit break counter everything for laughs. I forget how it interacts with Enemy Skill. Mega All is also hilarious fun, but also on the "too late to be useful" list.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I loved Metal Gear Solid, and liked MGS2 kinda except for Raiden, gently caress that guy. Basically I just like Snake lots, he's badass.

So I figured MGS3 would be good to try, because it's still basically Snake, and I don't mind retarded troll-the-audience plots. But when I tried playing it a coupla years back, I couldn't even sneak past the first guy, or get close enough to stealth-kill/knockout. I have no idea why, I had no problems with the previous 2, I had all the right camouflage crap on, I just sucked at this.

Anyway, I'm gonna give it another go but is there stuff I should know about sneaking in general to make it a bit easier? And any general foreknowledge would be appreciated too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Corridor posted:

I loved Metal Gear Solid, and liked MGS2 kinda except for Raiden, gently caress that guy. Basically I just like Snake lots, he's badass.

So I figured MGS3 would be good to try, because it's still basically Snake, and I don't mind retarded troll-the-audience plots. But when I tried playing it a coupla years back, I couldn't even sneak past the first guy, or get close enough to stealth-kill/knockout. I have no idea why, I had no problems with the previous 2, I had all the right camouflage crap on, I just sucked at this.

Anyway, I'm gonna give it another go but is there stuff I should know about sneaking in general to make it a bit easier? And any general foreknowledge would be appreciated too.

Use the D-pad.

No, seriously, that's the whole trick to sneaking.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, you have to use the d-pad when creeping up on dudes, but if you're moving behind them, then using it should be overkill. Most of the time you can just wait for them to move away from you and then run away at top speed (which isn't really all that fast anyways) without being noticed.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Learn CQC.

I cannot stress that enough.

CQC was awesome and it made MGS3 the game it is. Also Sigint.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
And don't forget to abuse the Mk.22 as much as possible. And stamina kill bosses because then you get funky camo (that helps a ton later and on your second playthrough)

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Corridor posted:

You can find the thermal goggles not too long into the game, and they are mega useful and go a long way towards making up for a lack of radar. Just put them on and look around in first person mode every so often to see if there's any guards about. They also help you to spot claymores, hidden items and animals for you to kill and eat, among other things, and are good for fighting a couple of the bosses with. They're found in Dremuchij North, or if you miss them they reappear in Rassvet. If you don't pick them up then though, they're gone for good (at least until you start a new game+).

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Corridor posted:

If you can find the Subsistence version, it has a much better camera setup than the original release. The full Subsistence version is punishingly expensive, but in the MGS Essential Collection, the full game of MGS3 plus a few extras are included at a much more reasonable price.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
IIR, you can stack the Added Effect materia with the Hades Summon to make normal attacks inflict every status effect.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Someone asked about Infinite Space a while back.

• Save often.

• Pay attention to who you've got assigned to what job; each character has at least one special skill/attribute that makes them proficient at something. That said, don't be afraid to pick where they go by looking at their stats rather than their specials. They don't always match.

• Get a goddamn notebook (or, an Excel file if you're an ubernerd like me :coal:) and write poo poo down. Take notes on where to buy things, names of planets in systems, etc. There's a lot of back-and-forth in this game and even just three hours in, you might forget where [random planet X] is when someone tells you to go there. Also, write down quest information as sometimes the quest-giver won't repeat what he told you and then you get to fly around all of creation looking for [random object x].

• Your crew will always start a fight against multiple ships with any ship targeted but the front one. If you're ever in a situation in which you're always loving missing, you've forgotten to check your targets.

• I know it's been mentioned before, but the dodge command rocks. There's nothing better than seeing a barrage coming and having time to tap the button, causing the enemy's shots to sail past you hilariously while you pop your knuckles in preparation for your own attack.

• You will likely acquire the carrier blueprint before getting the hangar part. Don't build a carrier until you get that hangar! I did this and was pretty pissed off to have a gimped ship lagging me down.

• :yoshi:

• This game was hyped-up and then promptly forgotten about when its release date kept getting pushed back, so there's not a lot of info to be seen online about it. You can PM me with questions and I'll try to help out.

edit: Jesus Christ, how could I have forgotten to mention weapon ranges? Each weapon you have has a range--this is really, really important. During battle, while you're trying to 'splode the enemies, take a gander at the range indicator for each of your weapons. I ignored these indicators for quite a while and wondered why I couldn't destroy anything :( They'll turn blue if your target is in range. Whichever weapons are in range are the ones that fire, so make sure you're close enough/far enough away for all your guns to work!

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 6, 2010

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Capsaicin posted:

Learn CQC.

I cannot stress that enough.

CQC was awesome and it made MGS3 the game it is. Also Sigint.

This is pretty much the key to MGS3. Early in the game kill/tranq all the guards in one area except one, and then just spend some time messing with CQC on that guard. Practice chokes, throws, stalking, hold ups, etc.

Also don't overlook the interrogate ability. Some guards will give you frequencies on the radio to call off alerts and other useful things.

Blowing up supply sheds in outpost areas will lead to the guards in that area being under equipped. If you're doing a good job being stealthy and avoiding fights this isn't a huge help, BUT blowing up the food supply will cause guards to moan about being hungry. This really helps to locate guards in hard to see areas as they reveal their position frequently.

And yeah, call Sigint often. Call him wearing a cardboard box and call him after eating russian glowcaps.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

McKracken posted:

Blowing up supply sheds in outpost areas will lead to the guards in that area being under equipped. If you're doing a good job being stealthy and avoiding fights this isn't a huge help, BUT blowing up the food supply will cause guards to moan about being hungry. This really helps to locate guards in hard to see areas as they reveal their position frequently.

Wow, I didn't know it was so uh, interactive. MGS is such a mixture of awesome quality and crazy design.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Corridor posted:

Wow, I didn't know it was so uh, interactive. MGS is such a mixture of awesome quality and crazy design.

I'm pretty sure you can also throw rations out near hungry guards to lure them in the direction of your choice. You can collect poisonous food and leave it around and the guards will eat it (if you C4 the food shed) and then get sick.

You can also use bee hives to scare guards away. They really did expand the interactivity with the environment for the game, one of the better aspects of the gameplay.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

McKracken posted:

I'm pretty sure you can also throw rations out near hungry guards to lure them in the direction of your choice. You can collect poisonous food and leave it around and the guards will eat it (if you C4 the food shed) and then get sick.

You can also use bee hives to scare guards away. They really did expand the interactivity with the environment for the game, one of the better aspects of the gameplay.

The MGS3 Let's Play demonstrated an impressive trick, the Smoke-Book-Bees Switcheroo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dr Snofeld posted:

The MGS3 Let's Play demonstrated an impressive trick, the Smoke-Book-Bees Switcheroo.

Explain.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Lockback posted:

Explain.

I couldn't find the specific video at the LP archive, but if I recall correctly, smoke cigar to attract enemy's attention, drop 'book' to hold his attention, then throw beehive at him while he's distracted.

Along these lines, throwing animals is one of the best parts of the game. Tranquilize things like snakes and scorpions then huck them at the soldiers. This works with some (all?) bosses as well.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

McKracken posted:

You can also throw poisonous/rotten food and they'll eat it and die. I managed to clear out an entire map area thing using nothing but old food.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The best way to kill The Fear and The End (especially if you're going for a passive playthrough) is by dropping poisonous food. When their stamina gets low (although it's difficult for The End to eat because he usually does his photosynthesis thing) they'll spot the food, eat it, and suffer permanent drain to their stamina.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Any tips for RTS games in general? I've never had any success with them without cheating, but would like to play through Warcraft 3.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Any helpful hints for Project Sylpheed? I've managed to amass a decent chunk of research points but I'm not quite sure what weapons I should be upgrading first.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
I just bought the Civilization IV complete edition ive played it before but i always find that im in way over my head by the end and have no idea what to do. Any pointers?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just thought I'd mention that bbcisdabomb has been plugging away at the Wiki like some kind of awesome plugging machine.

More than half of the thread has been added, now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kid Moe posted:

I just bought the Civilization IV complete edition ive played it before but i always find that im in way over my head by the end and have no idea what to do. Any pointers?

I'm in a similar boat, though I've owned Civ4 for a long time. By around the renaissance there's too much for me to think about and I get overwhelmed and quit at the least provocation.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I played Civ 4 when it came out and long before Warlords. I spent way more time modding the game to be more tolerable since diplomacy always ended up with me being hated by everyone and ganged up on. It was funny how all the AI literally told me how hated I was after wiping out one civ over several games.

I might just need to know how I should build cities and not build everything that is eventually wasting shields.

Terminus
May 6, 2008

Zushio posted:

Any tips for RTS games in general? I've never had any success with them without cheating, but would like to play through Warcraft 3.

I'm not the best either, but a good tactic is to assign your units to different groups based on their role and hotkey them to number keys. Like melee as 1, ranged 2, siege 3, etc. It makes moving units around a lot easier and helps to keep weaker units out of harm's way since your not just moving one blob of units and instead you can make sure you have melee in front to take damage.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I'm thinking about buying Evochron Legends. I can't believe it's been out for a year and I never heard of it. :ohdear:

Is there any sizable goon presence in this game? Any servers run or frequented by goons?

How important is strafing in the control scheme? In the demo I had all of the traditional axis assignments on my old Saitek X45 (yaw,pitch,roll) and seemed to do okay.

Ship customization seems cool, but does it affect combat? E.g. I think mounting the shield generator up front and enlarging it looks slick, but will that make my shields vulnerable?

There was a mission in the demo I couldn't figure out. You could go to the last known location of some unspecified Navy junk and were supposed to just find it. Nothing was visible and it was just empty space. Is there some sort of special equipment needed? Are there types of missions that are pretty much impossible at first despite readily available contracts?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Civilization 4: This is an excellent walkthrough to help give you an idea of what to do, why to do and when. I strongly recommend reading it, even though it doesn't cover Beyond the Sword, it'll give you the info and knowledge you need to not be dirt poor and starving before the classical age. From there you can start making your own strategies.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
A quick question about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadows of Chernobyl

Is what enemies carry on them influenced at all by what you have? I'm mainly asking because I think I need to start getting rid of some guns but I don't want to throw away the stuff I have a lot of ammo for unless I know I can find more ammo for my new guns.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

A quick question about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadows of Chernobyl

Is what enemies carry on them influenced at all by what you have? I'm mainly asking because I think I need to start getting rid of some guns but I don't want to throw away the stuff I have a lot of ammo for unless I know I can find more ammo for my new guns.

People carry stuff that makes sense for them to carry. It's been awhile so I don't remember what each group has off hand, but generally Army guys have AK type weapons, Mercs have NATO weapons and Monolith guys have random stuff, while other groups (bandits, other stalkers etc) tend to have an assortment. Carry weapons that use the same kind of ammo as your enemy (or at least one, sometimes you'll have an awesome gun as well that you bring out when you really need to smack some bitches).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

NovemberMike posted:

People carry stuff that makes sense for them to carry. It's been awhile so I don't remember what each group has off hand, but generally Army guys have AK type weapons, Mercs have NATO weapons and Monolith guys have random stuff, while other groups (bandits, other stalkers etc) tend to have an assortment. Carry weapons that use the same kind of ammo as your enemy (or at least one, sometimes you'll have an awesome gun as well that you bring out when you really need to smack some bitches).
This, but it also varies according to the area (as do the enemy types). Pistol and shotgun and MP5 poo poo at the beginning, AK's and Abakan's in the middle, stuff that uses 5.56 and 7.72 at the end.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Monolith guys typically carry the fairly high-end equipment for both NATO and Soviet, I.E. Obokans, SG-5k, GP-37, the 9mm guns and the sniper rifles.

Bandits will almost never have anything better than a Viper (mp5) or Akm-74/2U (AKS-74U)

Stalkers carry random poo poo. Zombies rarely have anything better than the AKM-74/2 (AKS-74) or the Trs-301 (LR-300, a AR-15 style weapon)

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 11, 2010

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
If I want to play Mass Effect and get the Asari and Krogan Ally achievements, what do I need to do? I'm at the Citadel, and I've only talked to one person who wants me to go talk to "The Asari Consort".

Is there anything I need to particularly watch out for?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Capsaicin posted:

If I want to play Mass Effect and get the Asari and Krogan Ally achievements, what do I need to do? I'm at the Citadel, and I've only talked to one person who wants me to go talk to "The Asari Consort".

Is there anything I need to particularly watch out for?

You need to do nothing. Make your very VERY first order of business getting those two characters, and do not do ANYTHING missions or sidequests that you do not absolutely NEED to do to get to them. Basically to get the achievement, you have to do X amount of missions and Y amount of sidequests with them in your party.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Crappy Jack posted:

You need to do nothing. Make your very VERY first order of business getting those two characters, and do not do ANYTHING missions or sidequests that you do not absolutely NEED to do to get to them. Basically to get the achievement, you have to do X amount of missions and Y amount of sidequests with them in your party.

Yeah, but where do I go to find them? I've looking in a FAQ or two, so I think I know where to find Wrex, but I couldn't find anything about the Asari.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Capsaicin posted:

Yeah, but where do I go to find them? I've looking in a FAQ or two, so I think I know where to find Wrex, but I couldn't find anything about the Asari.

She's on one of the missions you get once you start the game proper. If you're really THAT new to Mass Effect, I'm gonna make the friendly suggestion that maybe you don't go for those achievements right now. Some missions you're really gonna want to have some different characters with you, especially in Geth-heavy missions.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Trying for the Asari achievement on a first playthrough is just asking for trouble and frustration.

First playthrough, you should be getting to know each character on the battle field, so those achievements shouldn't be bothered with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

GreatGreen posted:

If I could only give one small piece of advice about playing Deus Ex, it would be to play a stealth character the first time through. Sure, you could play it as a run-and-gun tank type character, but the gunfighting mechanics aren't the best in the world and playing like this could make things get boring fairly quickly. If you build your character around stealth, however, the tension stays tight throughout pretty much the entire game.

Also, take the GEP gun. It has so, so many practical uses. Even for a stealth character.

Seconding this. I played it through ages ago as a normal FPS and thought it was pretty cool. However, I'm replaying it now as a stealthy nonlethal character, and it really is much much better. I'm just about to get to the Hong Kong level, and it's still incredibly tense.

The prod, baton, tranquilliser crossbow darts and gas grenades are your friends.

Edit:

Perfect Potato posted:

Trying for the Asari achievement on a first playthrough is just asking for trouble and frustration.

First playthrough, you should be getting to know each character on the battle field, so those achievements shouldn't be bothered with.
This is good advice. Get out of the citadel as quickly as you can and start shooting things/ enjoying the game; go for specific achievements on a second playthrough.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 11, 2010