Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

My take is that when people use the Before I Play wiki they already own a game and are in the process of downloading it. In that case somebody is already committed to playing a game, regardless of its quality.

The instances where it might apply is if a sequel to a game lets you play the content from the first game. Because these days you might end up having multiple games from the same franchise in your backlog. For example:
- Left 4 Dead 2 lets you play the campaigns from the first game.
- Hitman 2 (2018) lets you play the content from Hitman (2016) if you own it on the same platform.

People sometimes buy a game just off watching trailers or reading the back of a game case on a whim rather than spending hours going through review websites on a game they've known about for months in advance, and dissuading them from an absolute trainwreck they're poking at blind isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I would use it to confirm that features I already find annoying within two hours keep being a problem, if that kind of thing was mentioned more often. Reviews tend to focus on all the wrong stuff for what I actually want to know, so sometimes a simple "if you already do not like X from the start, it will not get better" can make all the difference and save me a tenner.

It's no big deal, though.

I do the same - if I'm thinking of getting a game but I'm not 100% sold on it, will check the wiki to see if there's any that makes me go "I don't want to deal with that"
The sort of things normally covered generally do the trick and I haven't run into "wish it covered this..." issues so current scope seems good

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eh, I'm not seeing it as my or the wiki's calling to tell people their whims and spontaneous bursts of interest are wrong, or to micromanage someone else's spending to make sure they only buy the good games.

This is kind of the same question as "should the wiki help you optimize or help you get started" only on a more meta level.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I suppose it isn't, but being told about major flaws and annoyances that drag the game down is something I would generally want to know I start playing, so I'm just speaking up about that because I appreciate it when an article takes the time to point them out.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Cardiovorax posted:

I suppose it isn't, but being told about major flaws and annoyances that drag the game down is something I would generally want to know I start playing, so I'm just speaking up about that because I appreciate it when an article takes the time to point them out.

I just don't think this is the website for that particular purpose, not least of all because it's significantly more difficult to properly curate pages with subjective takes on quality on them because there the line of what's "good" advice and what isn't becomes incredibly murky. At worst it'll lead to arguments or dumb edit wars.

There are numerous places (including these literal forums) you can look for opinions and technical information about games whereas the wiki has a pretty clean and simple niche in my eyes, to provide helpful advice on how to make someone's experience with a game better when going into it. I just cannot see trying to stretch it beyond that and turning it into a hybrid "should I play" -wiki which tries to cover everything a person could want to know being a net positive which doesn't bloat pages, cause arguments, and detract from its main function which is one that it already does incredibly well and concisely.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 15, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A lot of what's on the wiki always struck me as implicitly pointing out flaws, actually, by providing ways to mitigate them. Like all the good and useful advice that revolves around what a given game doesn't tell you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It does, which is why I already use it for that sometimes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

My Lovely Horse posted:

A lot of what's on the wiki always struck me as implicitly pointing out flaws, actually, by providing ways to mitigate them. Like all the good and useful advice that revolves around what a given game doesn't tell you.

Right, say an RPG has some stats which are a complete trap and some arcane mechanics. At its core what I expect is that a review or a goon in the Steam thread will tell you "this RPG is not very good as it's riddled with trap skill choices and arcane mechanics", and the wiki will tell you "these are the trap choices you should avoid" and "there are some arcane mechanics in this game, here's the best way to deal with them".

That in my opinion should (and has traditionally been) be the specific niche occupied by the wiki within the process of someone considering, buying, and playing a game. It doesn't cover every single base, but the one it does it does very well and in a way few other resources on the internet do.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 15, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Afriscipio posted:

Anything for Druidstone?
Don't feel the urge to do perfectly, it saps a lot of joy out of the game and turns it into a "one strict correct solution to every map" puzzle. You can go back to previous missions once you've levelled up and have more skills and abilities and will be able to "perfect" them then.

Realising this was the difference between not enjoying the game at all and really liking it for a lot of people, myself included

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is there anything I should know for Void Bastards?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How about Masquerada: Songs and Shadows?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm also down with tips involving something like "If you don't enjoy x, it doesn't change or go away or get better". I've seen the opposite on the wiki, where a mechanic or tough or rough section of the game goes away after a certain amount of time or by picking a certain upgrade tree, and I think it'd save folx time

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

How about Masquerada: Songs and Shadows?

I'd go with Waterbrand on your first run; I think it has the most versatile skills. On a second run you can mix & match skills from all the elements.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there anything I should know for Void Bastards?

Mostly it's a rogue-lite you should be able to just play and read the UI.
But :-
Void Bastards
- Enemies will generally keep spawning. You are there to loot, not kill.
- Each new run keeps the upgrades you've built, but loses all the money/ammo/etc. Each run starts with different innate quirks, some ships have booths to gain/swap/remove quirks.
- Shops give you a free fuel and food to pay for the cost of visiting that node.
- You can scrap parts and the interface there will tell you if there's any upgrades remaining that it can be used for.
- Torpedoes are used automatically. Warp keys are used by trying to go somewhere you need a warp key for.
- Most devices can be hacked for various benefits. Play around and see which you think are worth the money.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Afriscipio posted:

Anything for Druidstone?
Almost every map has a "gotcha" halfway through where new enemies spawn in or a new objective appears. Don't blow all of your map-limited abilities early on, or you'll be hosed when that happens.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for The Alliance Alive? The HD Remaster in case there's differences.

One thing I think I've gathered is you can't get literally everything on a single playthrough as there are some mutually exclusive things based on your choices, but is there anything otherwise to watch for?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Hwurmp posted:

What should I know before I read this thread for the first time?
* Don't trust the skull
* Do not pursue Lu Bu
* Mr. Do
* If you want the complete perfect 100% comprehension of the thread, make sure to clear your ignore list and read it all in one sitting

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

* Don't trust the skull
* Do not pursue Lu Bu
* Mr. Do
* If you want the complete perfect 100% comprehension of the thread, make sure to clear your ignore list and read it all in one sitting

The skull is your friend and would never lie to you. Lu Bu is just playing hard to get.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anything I should know for Void Bastards?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Tylana posted:

Mostly it's a rogue-lite you should be able to just play and read the UI.
But :-
Void Bastards
- Enemies will generally keep spawning. You are there to loot, not kill.
- Each new run keeps the upgrades you've built, but loses all the money/ammo/etc. Each run starts with different innate quirks, some ships have booths to gain/swap/remove quirks.
- Shops give you a free fuel and food to pay for the cost of visiting that node.
- You can scrap parts and the interface there will tell you if there's any upgrades remaining that it can be used for.
- Torpedoes are used automatically. Warp keys are used by trying to go somewhere you need a warp key for.
- Most devices can be hacked for various benefits. Play around and see which you think are worth the money.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

On the same page and everything, I am apparently blind. Thanks!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Here is something that I wish I had known for Assassin's Creed Origins

The reward for doing the quest related to collecting silica is an outfit and some lore.

If I had known that from the beginning, I wouldn't have even bothered trying to do that stuff.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Anything for Phantasy Star Online 2, since it's coming to PC soon?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jade Rider posted:

You can swap classes very very early into the game so dont worry if you feel like you picked the wrong starting class.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jade Rider posted:

The thread has good tips and people who will gladly offer advice https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887877

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Anything for the following games?

Humble Bundle was good to me today, and I don't see these on the wiki.

RAD

Katamari Demacy Reroll, I played the original ages ago, is this a remake?\

hack//G.U. Recode

Thanks

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Katamari Damacy Reroll is just the port of the first game. Just play it. No advice or gotchas.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Anything for Tales of Eternia?

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Anything for Tales of Eternia?

The game starts with Semi-Auto for the Combat system, which means if you hit attack, your character won't attack in place, but will move first into position to attack, then walk back. Turning that to full manual needs an item from a tutoral in the Dojo early in the game. Semi vs Manual can be a heavy preference thing, but you can't change it without that item.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Anything for Troubleshooter? There seems to be a ridiculous number of systems for a XCOM-based game, and the translation doesn't really help.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

srulz posted:

Anything for Troubleshooter? There seems to be a ridiculous number of systems for a XCOM-based game, and the translation doesn't really help.

what the hell is this game? I'm not sure whether to be intrigued or confused or disgusted.

Is there a thread for this?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

There isn't a thread because there's so many goddamn complex systems layered upon systems an OP would be a monumental task. I don't even know where the hell to start giving advice on it, much less a full primer...

Edit: For instance, I'm nearly 70 hours into the game and an entirely new mechanic related to raising your own monsters has just been unlocked. 70 hours in. And I know from looking up guides there's another similar mechanic in the future.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's like fire emblem in controlling a small party, with skill options that make fft small scale.

It's also a pretty hard game unless you master the systems.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Anything for Cat Quest?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I am actually kind of shocked that there is nothing for the Amnesia games.

I heard The Dark Descent was the only one worth playing, so anything for that one?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

El_Elegante posted:

Anything for Cat Quest?

I'll give it a shot.

Gear matters a lot more than level for your fighting ability.

The more stats a piece of gear effects the better overall it can be as it upgrades.

Multiple copies of an item increase its overall level and like the player they max out at 99.

Caves reset every time you go in but the chests inside do not. This can allow for XP/gold grinding

For some caves there are secret passages that will lead to more chests. Golden chests cannot be opened until you get the key from an island in the south.

You've only fully cleared a dungeon/cave if there's no longer any symbol next to it.

Armor does not reduce damage but rather are bonus hitpoints that regenerate when you're not in combat.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I heard The Dark Descent was the only one worth playing, so anything for that one?

It's mostly straight forward iirc, no real gotchas or tips, the game will explain everything to you pretty plainly and I don't recall any areas that could trip you up.

Oh I guess there's a bit with a sort of flooded area. When you get there just keep moving forward, don't stop and don't look back.

Anything for Absolver? I remember playing 20 minutes of it, putting it down, and now I wanna punch again but I'm getting wrecked by early stage enemies, nevermind online.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

It's mostly straight forward iirc, no real gotchas or tips, the game will explain everything to you pretty plainly and I don't recall any areas that could trip you up.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Oh I guess there's a bit with a sort of flooded area. When you get there just keep moving forward, don't stop and don't look back.
I am chuckling like a madman. It is good advice, but looking back can have advantages as well.

To add to that, the game does reward you if you have trouble surviving in an area. Not the shower you with items, but it changes things up.

Say hi to the Kaernk when you find it.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

blackguy32 posted:

It's been a long time since I played, but here's a few things I remember:

- The game rewards (or "rewards") exploration. Check nooks and crannies and what's hiding behind those stacks of stuff you can move.

- Early on, try to get the technique of quickly opening and closing doors down pat before you end up in a situation where you'll need it. I think instead of moving the mouse, you hit RMB instead and it'll shove the door in the direction you're facing?

- Between the containers you can collect and the barrels that you can tap, Oil is plentiful early on. However, save the Oil containers you find as the Oil barrels become scarce later and at that point you're reliant on Oil containers to keep your Lantern lit.

- Sanity drain is usually telegraphed by either distorted vision, persistent unpleasant noises, or both, depending on what's causing it. Making progress and avoiding disturbing stuff can keep your sanity high, and you can recover sanity by standing near a light for a long time though doing it that way won't get your sanity past "slight headache" status.

- The water monster loves meat.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Been a minute since anyone asked about Dead Cells, updates and DLC change anything or are the wiki tips still good?