Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Elden Ring:
* Wear pants at all times. Do not remove your pants unless you know what you're doing and why.

This doubles as pretty good advice for daily life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Lone Badger posted:

Elden Ring:
* Wear pants at all times. Do not remove your pants unless you know what you're doing and why.

This sounds less like a tip and more like a confession of sin.

How many Ranni fanarts do you have

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
There's a little on the site about Heat Signature but I'm interested in more advice - the medium missions are cakewalks but I'm finding it's quite a jump up in difficulty to the hards. How do people balance between gun and melee weapons and decide which to use when? I haven't found the teleporters super useful yet, what should I be doing with those? What's the best thing to do when/if reinforcements arrive and make the ship a lot harder? I usually have to abort unless it's a big enough ship that I can get the mission done and escape by avoiding them.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

gohuskies posted:

There's a little on the site about Heat Signature but I'm interested in more advice - the medium missions are cakewalks but I'm finding it's quite a jump up in difficulty to the hards. How do people balance between gun and melee weapons and decide which to use when? I haven't found the teleporters super useful yet, what should I be doing with those? What's the best thing to do when/if reinforcements arrive and make the ship a lot harder? I usually have to abort unless it's a big enough ship that I can get the mission done and escape by avoiding them.

Gonna try answering each of them in order:

- As long as the alarm penalty is not so severe (like the pilot gunning immediately for the nearest base to force you to leave or be arrested, for example), you can get away with using guns so long as you are aware of what you're packing and that you make sure that doors are closed if you can help it. If stealth is more of a big deal, I would stick with melee weapons and get used to pausing the moment an attack connects so you can do things like grab their bodies before they go flying into someone's view. If there's no real penalty at all for alarms and as long as they're not wearing armor or using shields, just go loud lol

- Swappers can be good as an "oh poo poo" button if you get spotted. Depending on the circumstances and layout of the room, you could also probably swap with the one who is about to call an alert and while they're facing the same way they were before but standing where you are now, you can just run like hell. Sidewinders can also let you slip past patrols, but can't let you go through locked doors or otherwise impossible places. If you want to simply cause problems or just snatch a key before suddenly leaving, then you want Visitors.

- The best counter to the reinforcements is prevention with a subverter since it will render the ship's teleporter inaccessible. But if you can't find one or do that, the next best thing would be usage of crashbeams and crash traps if shields are in play so that you can at least make fighting back doable, or acid traps if armor is what's in play. If you manage to get glitch traps and your current character is cool with murder, you can also set it up so the destination is the cold, uncaring void of space if the teleporter is close enough to do so.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

gohuskies posted:

How do people balance between gun and melee weapons and decide which to use when? I haven't found the teleporters super useful yet, what should I be doing with those?

Place them in a patrol route and teleport the poor sod to a secluded place where you can dispose of them easily space. Swap with another guy when you're about to get shot. Visit next to a rescue target, hop back to a safe place when the timer runs out. You can do this from space.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 23, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Tunic: Given that the game is very mysterious and you're piecing together secrets and gathering new information throughout, it's easy to make assumptions about when you can do certain things; however, some things are only possible when the game state changes in a noticeable way further in. In addition, once that happens, there's also a way to return to the previous game state so nothing is permanently lost.

(this is vague on purpose, but essentially it's 'even if some things are only locked behind knowledge barriers and are available from the start of the game, some require game progression')

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Anything I should know for Shadow Hearts: From The New World? Or will I be okay, having played the other two Shadow Hearts games?

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Another thing for Tunic:

Use your consumables. Especially the ones that damage enemies. There's no reason to horde them, quite the opposite.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Leave posted:

Anything I should know for Shadow Hearts: From The New World? Or will I be okay, having played the other two Shadow Hearts games?

There are a lot of missables. If you're not going to use a guide and you want to see everything, you're going to have a bad time.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Here's some tips for Islanders

- Taking the seaweed pack as your first choice is a trap, it's very difficult to reach the first point milestone using them.
- Hops fields can be placed on sand.
- Seaweed fields should be placed in between two sections of land if at all possible. This lets you overlap multiple farms without suffering a penalty.
- Build your houses and mansions in different directions off the City Center, it'll be easier to account for buildings that gain penalties from one or the other later.
- Put off taking the city pack as long as possible.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

ultrafilter posted:

There are a lot of missables. If you're not going to use a guide and you want to see everything, you're going to have a bad time.

Yeah, that's Shadow Hearts for you. I didn't know if there were any big system changes, like there were from the first to the second game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I never finished the game but as far as I know there's nothing that you need to be warned about ahead of seeing it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Leave posted:

Biggest real change is the Stock system, which lets you do things like take two turns at once and set up some combos, but it's not as radical an overhaul as the systems in the second game. Your Harmoniser is heavily scaled back as well, as they only get access to four forms, but each one uses two different types of magic. Rather than powering up the forms to unlock new ones, you get statues that give you new spells and stat boosts. Fundamentally, it's the same thing, but you don't get the joy of unlocking a new form for your rock-tiger or androgynous angel

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hoping for some help with Sakuna of Rice and Ruin because it makes Elden Ring seem like a hand-holding game for how many mechanics it throws at you and how little it explains.

What I've got so far from playing ~10 hours, aside from "check the Japanese Dept of Agriculture website for how to grow rice"

- The first rice crops will be very low, this is mostly story based, and wild grains like foxtail and wheat are going to be essential to getting healing buffs
- Early on, white rice is far better as stat gains are exponential. Brown rice gives much higher temporary stat bonuses and is better late game.
- Story progression gates a lot of upgrades and improvements to the rice farming
- A simple method for 'good' rice is to keep the water at 20% until the third offshoot, then drain. For sprouting stage use 30% water until harvest is ready.
- Spread fertilizer every other morning and work to max out the triangle.
- Adding remedies during the sprouting stage can cure many rice disease and should boost the yield
- Harvest the rice in autumn even if it's ready in summer, early harvest can cause rice diseases
- No matter what, bring the rice in before winter
- Check the potential fertilizer mixes under "add additional components". Rotten food is a great way to push up stats but requires pest control methods
- For pest control, catching frogs, slugs, and snails is better then using ducks. Ducks eat everything except one specific pest
- To get more animals, send Kaimaru to gathering locations then return to base before sunset. A cutscene will trigger if he found any.
- Later on, higher quality but lower rice yields are better for stat gains. This means using a lot of mud/salt to separate the seeds and plant saplings thinly. You will go from ~250 rice to ~70 rice between those harvests but it's worth it.
- Direkaze Fortress is a pseudo point of no return (you lose 1/2 your stats and have to earn them back) so wrap up anything you might want to do before then. The other point is marked by an in game warning

Also love to know if any of this is wrong. There are at least 2 main competing theories if you search up how to grow rice and people arguing over misinformation being spread about the game.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 29, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Adding on, the Fertilizer mechanic is a little poorly explained. IIRC the trick is that you put in items to build up a side, and then you add in crystals as a multiplier to all sides. So you want to put the correct ratio of items in to achieve the balance you want and then add crystals to multiply it to the potency you want.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
For fertilizer, do you just need to add it every day, for each of the three types, or just use fertilizer for the current stage of growth? Does fertilizer get consumed even if theres nothing growing?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I could be wrong, but I think you only need one type of fertilizer at a time, depending on what stage your rice is at.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arcturas posted:

I could be wrong, but I think you only need one type of fertilizer at a time, depending on what stage your rice is at.

It's easier just to have the triangle always 1/2 full, and you can adjust the amount of each type when you add to re-balance it when one of them is running out faster then the other.

There's an entire system about using the fertilizer to cure rice conditions, increase stats, having to balance toxicity/pest/etc as you add, but like 99% of what I'm doing is dumping in fertilizer every morning to keep it above 50% and occasionally adding in the major +stat boosters.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Fury Unleashed

Feel free to start on easy if you're not familiar with the mechanics but if you have played games like Neon Abyss, Hades or Enter the Gungeon, it should be second nature barring any button remapping.

Focus unlocking and upgrading skills that involve the Combo Meter and Ink Gain. The meta progression revolves around gathering Black Ink from defeated enemies and the Combo Meter will increase the amount of ink you earn as you increase the combo.

Combo Shields are your best friend! Once you unlock Combo Shields, you gain a shield up to a max of 3 for every increment of 5 in a combo. A shield gained at 5, 10, 15, etc etc. These shields block one hit each and make it so your combo isn't broken. You can regain a shield by reaching a multiple of 5 in your current combo. If you're at 19 combo and lose a shield, when you kill your next enemy, you will gain back the shield.

You can refill the Combo Meter in many ways such as: Shooting/Hitting/Killing an enemy, picking up ink, teleporting, standing next to a chest/Inkmaster/Vlad/etc.

Starting ranged weapon choice is mostly up to personal preference. I recommend the Shotgun, the spread is nice because even if only one bit of the shot hits, it keeps the combo count up.

Starting melee weapon is personal preference, they all have the same damage.

When playing, you can get new weapons and armor. Pay attention to not just the damage or the armor rating, but also what bonuses they have. It might be best to keep a piece of armor that has a lower armor rating or is even broken, but has a great bonus. For example, you can have gloves that have a Lucky Reload bonus which is a percent chance to auto-reload your weapon, even if the gloves have no durability, the bonus stays. For weapons, you can get an idea of how they function by paying attention to the clip size, DPS and Single Bullet Damage. Something that has a low clip size and low damage per bullet, but has a high DPS means it's most likely a shotgun style weapon.

Use the environment to your advantage and remember that you don't always need to be running or dodging. Slower movement can help with better positioning to dodge enemy bullets.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does Red Dead Redemption 2 have chasing or racing missions like a GTA game? Obviously there are no cars but I've never played any Rockstar game except GTA.

I don't mind cheating in a game like this, I just wanna enjoy the story 'cuz my GF loves it, but when I played GTA4 I needed help with some of the chasing missions and I'd like to know if I might need to depend on the kindness of strangers again.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Does Red Dead Redemption 2 have chasing or racing missions like a GTA game? Obviously there are no cars but I've never played any Rockstar game except GTA.

I don't mind cheating in a game like this, I just wanna enjoy the story 'cuz my GF loves it, but when I played GTA4 I needed help with some of the chasing missions and I'd like to know if I might need to depend on the kindness of strangers again.
There are quite a few horse chases and a couple of optional timed runs. I don't remember any of them being particularly difficult though because you're mostly riding over wide open planes and there aren't many obstacles to navigate like in GTA.

Smileyfax
Dec 30, 2008
Far Cry 6 had a free weekend last weekend, and as I didn't see any tips for it on the wiki I thought I'd share some of my observations:

-When you upgrade parts of your gun, that upgrade is permanently interchangeable with all other guns of that class -- i.e. if you buy armor piercing rounds for one pistol, you can then use armor piercing rounds on any other pistol you own. So go ahead and get the best silencer for that sniper rifle you find an hour into the game, you can just put it onto the next, better, sniper rifle you find.

-You can't upgrade unique weapons, or swap their parts out to your other guns.

-If you're sneaking up on a guard to machete them and they turn around and see you, it's still worth it to panic-smash the machete button, since the guard'll be 'surprised' by you and you can still take him down in the half second or so before he screams and starts shooting.

-Anti-aircraft sites are meant to discourage you from going nuts and just flying all over the island the second you get your hands on a helicopter. Too bad you can just fly low enough to avoid being pinged by their radar and just blow it to smithereens. (This may not always be the case -- some areas in the northeast had AA sites that the tooltip claimed would shoot you down instantly, probably due to being endgame areas, but I never got a chance to finish the game so I can't say for sure).

-There's a toggle in Accessibility Options that puts a little glow around any items you can collect. This is a godsend for all the crafting materials you'll need to hoover up over the course of the game. (There's also an option to disable scope sway, but it makes playing a sniper fairly overpowered)

-There's no set bonus for wearing an entire set of clothing. Go ahead and mix and match with what you like.

-When you get Guerrilla Camps, the best facilities to build first are Hideout Network and Bandidos Barracks. Hideout Networks reveal little hideouts all over the map that you can fast travel to (dramatically cutting down travel time), and Bandidos Barracks increase the amount of Bandidos you get when performing certain actions to use in the Los Bandidos Operations minigame, as well as your odds of success at completing Bandido operations.

-Bandido operations are a super, super easy way to get money and crafting supplies, especially crucial ones for weapon upgrades like gunpowder, industrial circuits, and industrial composite. All you have to do is select a mission, choose a leader (preferably one with a trait that'll help on the mission), and then check in a few real-time hours later to do a few CYOA prompts to try and get a few bonus goodies and see if you succeeded or failed at the mission.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

There are quite a few horse chases and a couple of optional timed runs. I don't remember any of them being particularly difficult though because you're mostly riding over wide open planes and there aren't many obstacles to navigate like in GTA.

Gotcha, that does sound like it might be simpler. Hopefully.

Thank you.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Gotcha, that does sound like it might be simpler. Hopefully.

Thank you.

dont button mash! time your presses to the horses hooves, you get into the rythym of it fairly easily, this adds to your momemtum and i think reduces the stamina drain of your horse but its been a while.

i also found it useful to always have heaps of hay in a handy action slot so on anything short of a full gallop you can always feed the horse too

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nightmare Reaper

If you hear wind, it means there is a secret or passage very close by.

In the passages you enter through manhole covers, there can occasionally be multiple manhole covers to exit from. They are far less obvious than doors, so keep an eye out if it seems you've explored the whole map and have nowhere left to go.

You can disable the minigames individually if there's one (or more) you don't want to play. It lets you just buy the upgrades without playing the associated levels (or in the case of the pokemon one, having to fight battles).

The bonus multipliers you get for doing all of something in a level (killing all enemies, finding all secrets, etc.) add up quick, especially later on. You can see the number of enemies and treasures left in the level under your minimap so you won't have to guess.

The events that spawn an orb that hits you with nasty effects have hints to help you find the orb. Lit up footprints on the floor and/or a glowing blue orb that shows you the general direction you need to go to find and kill it. Also, the one that spawns a screaming ghost head can have the damage avoided by turning your head away when the ghost pauses to scream.

The elites with empty red circles over their head go off like a nuke when they die. Don't be anywhere near them if you can help it.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Here's some for Kirby and the Forgotten Land:

- You can continue playing after the credits and there is post game content.
- You can retry from the start menu in special stages. If you want to restart a normal stage then you have to leave and re-enter.
- The death penalty is losing 100 Star Coins. This doesn't apply in special stages where you just restart.
- Mouthful mode has replaced a few of the standard copy abilities, Wheel has become Mouthful Car for instance.
- Rangers and Hammers attack can be charged up to three times, when fully charged they'll do massive damage to enemies.
- Most bosses have two phases to prevent you from cheesing them with Crash.
- There are hidden coins and special stages on the overworld, if you hover over it you'll be prompted to press A, they'll be near a landmark that's otherwise unused.
- Stage's hidden missions will reveal themself one at a time, from top to bottom if you can't figure them out yourself (for example, if you miss the first and second mission then it'll reveal the parameters of the first at stage completion, but the second won't be revealed until you complete the first mission).
- Present Codes are case sensitive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something I don't think Kirby teaches, or at least I might've missed the tutorial, is that Guard + flicking your thumbstick will dodge with I-frames in that direction for most copy abilities.

There's also two hidden Treasure Roads in each World if you're in need of Rare Stones. Go look around any spot that looks like there might be a level there but isn't.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have a request: Children of Morta. I just got it yesterday for the Switch and have the dad and daughter both at level 2. Haven't beaten the spider caves yet, and was wondering if there was anything specific I should know going in.

I saw the huge number of updates they did, and kinda wish I had gotten in earlier, as they all sound pretty awesome, and it's a wonderful feeling when a game you already enjoy gets a nice update.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have a request: Children of Morta. I just got it yesterday for the Switch and have the dad and daughter both at level 2. Haven't beaten the spider caves yet, and was wondering if there was anything specific I should know going in.

I saw the huge number of updates they did, and kinda wish I had gotten in earlier, as they all sound pretty awesome, and it's a wonderful feeling when a game you already enjoy gets a nice update.

The wiki page for it is broadly fine, theres not really any gotchas or anything. If you gently caress up a side quest event thing (like saving the puppy or whatever) its not permanently lost or anything, you'll randomly encounter it again on future runs until you complete it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The one piece of advice I would give is that it can be pretty challenging to play a ranged character, but it shines in co-op if you or a buddy go melee. Gives more space to get some shots off.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fruits of the sea posted:

The one piece of advice I would give is that it can be pretty challenging to play a ranged character, but it shines in co-op if you or a buddy go melee. Gives more space to get some shots off.

Just keep in mind that in co-op, enemy health gets buffed a fair amount. I played through a significant chunk in single-player, but when a friend jumped in we had trouble completing even a single floor unless we focussed on one enemy at a time.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Honestly I found the bow much easier to progress with in the early game than the melee characters (playing solo), so I guess it just depends on preferred play style.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

It's one of those games where character upgrades are really powerful, so grinding a few levels usually helps a lot even if you feel like you're not making progress.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

I felt the opposite, since early on your survivability is garbage and you often end up trading blow for blow in melee since the attacks are kinda difficult to read and avoid.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thanks for the CoM info. My second request is for XCOM 2. I'm currently making characters for it (on Switch), so it's vanilla as hell (no mods, but all dlc). With that in mind, anything I should know?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Thanks for the CoM info. My second request is for XCOM 2. I'm currently making characters for it (on Switch), so it's vanilla as hell (no mods, but all dlc). With that in mind, anything I should know?

Not really. There are a lot of viable options, and not that many traps (the robot units suck though, don't bother). I'm not sure how much information you want ahead of time, but if you want the full experience Jade Star has 2 LPs, one finished (pre-War of the Chosen) and one ongoing (post-War of the Chosen):

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782802
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987940

Smileyfax
Dec 30, 2008
Regarding Far Cry 4: the companion app is no longer online, so the bit in the wiki about using it to soothe the grind in the Arena is no longer valid. Personally, I think the assault rifle you get from rank 10 is a bit overrated, and the Shredder (which you get from hitting level 6 in karma) is roughly equivalent in stats and far, far easier to get.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land

- Experiment around with weapons, some have abilities that show up when attack is held down, rapidly tapped, or air attacked.

- Moving while blocking does a dodge roll in that direction. Doing this right before an attack hits you actually gives you a slo-mo effect.

- Certain weapons have special counterattacks which trigger if you attack after a dodge, when the slo-mo is triggered.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kirby and the Platinum Mechanics. That's awesome, I really need to get on it.

But I'm stuck on Triangle Strategy:

Character notes:

- Anna's ability to act twice in a turn makes her a very valuable party member throughout.
- Hughette is hugely mobile and particularly good at sniping people from high places.
- Benedict's buffs are decent but he truly shines with his later abilities that let people act more often.

Strategy notes:

- Flank enemies wherever you can to get followup attacks. If you can flank them from front and behind, it's a decent bonus. If Anna can get behind an enemy and flank with someone, she's lethal.
- Note that your archers generally won't get followups in melee, but your mages will. They're weak, but they might still push an enemy over the edge.
- Archers don't have to be in a straight line behind the enemy to get the bonus for back attacks. As long as the arrow comes from behind, it's good. This also works when an enemy has their back to the wall.
- On a character's turn you can highlight any enemy or ally and enter Simulation mode to see what any of that character's abilities would do to them.
- You can also check out enemy abilities and equipment this way with the Details option. Handy to scan for weaknesses or, more often, strengths:
- Unique enemies are often particularly buffed against status effects. Simulation mode will tell you the chance of hitting and applying a status effect, Details will tell you the source of their buffs.

Mechanics:

- You get XP for acting in combat. The type of action doesn't matter much. If someone's too far away to attack or hasn't got enough TP, consider having them use an item to at least get XP.
- New Game Plus will allow you to explore story paths you haven't taken, and also reveal your conviction stats.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Played Severed on 3DS (it's on a few other platforms) and it's neat, I didn't see any information on it so...

The game's map does a great job of filling in points of interest as you go along (switches, health pickups etc.). Don't be intimidated by the number of secrets in the game, they'll be clearly marked on your map and none of the puzzles are particularly difficult.

Don't bother backtracking to clean up collectibles after finishing an area unless you're really struggling with the game's combat. It's pretty tedious to do multiple times and there's a very obvious point where you can clean up the map before the final boss.