Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Sabin's Blitzes might be a little confusing to use. Select Blitz with A, input the appropriate key combination, and then press A again.

Another tip regarding Blitz - you don't actually have to hit diagonal directions. For instance, one Blitz has the command down, down-left, left, but you can simplify it to down, down, left and it will work. (There are also a half-circle, a 3/4-circle, and a full-circle one that can be simplified the same way.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
Anyone know what version (US or UK) the Amazon Fallout 1&2 jewel case bundle is?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Aratoeldar posted:

Anyone know what version (US or UK) the Amazon Fallout 1&2 jewel case bundle is?
If it's this one, then I am 99% sure it is the US version. It's the one I own and my version had kids and poo poo, which would have been absent if it were the UK version.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

If it's this one, then I am 99% sure it is the US version. It's the one I own and my version had kids and poo poo, which would have been absent if it were the UK version.

:cool:

Thank You :)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Edit: Never mind, i reed gud.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
How about Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries. I tried it once but had no idea what mechs to use or weapons to buy, or what missions to do. The wiki only seems to have a little bit of multiplayer info.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I've been wanting to try some of the old Final Fantasies so I picked up Final Fantasy IV DS. Apparently this is not a good thing for someone like me because it is apparently hard as balls and I am not experienced at old-school RPGs. Any general advice for not sucking as much?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

HondaCivet posted:

I've been wanting to try some of the old Final Fantasies so I picked up Final Fantasy IV DS. Apparently this is not a good thing for someone like me because it is apparently hard as balls and I am not experienced at old-school RPGs. Any general advice for not sucking as much?

Walkthrough.

I played through a chunk of it, and it is harder than the US version, but not impossible.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

HondaCivet posted:

Use an Augment guide to ensure you get the major rare augments like Fast Talker, Doublecast, and Omnicast.

Give Cecil Counter, Draw Attacks, and eventually Kick, along with the absolute best Armor availiable at any given point in the game. Watch things fall down.

Status effects are your friend. Slow, Stop, and Silence all work very well on most enemies, and Slow in particular is essential, even on bosses. Berserk, in combination with Blink on Cecil once he has Draw Attacks means that you can basically get through most fights with no incoming damage.

For buffs, Blink and Haste are your top 2 priorities. If you can keep Blink up on the whole party, nothing but magic will kill them, and Haste will keep you attacking.

Lots of the nastier enemies have very predictable and telegraphed counterattacks - you can use this to your advantage by only attacking when you're prepared to absorb the damage of these counters.

Edit: Give Cecil COUNTER, not Cover. Cover he has by default...

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 31, 2010

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Some status effects can stack multiple times.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Speaking of Final Fantasy games, one thing I've learned playing Final Fantasy V is that Blue Magic is shared among your whole party. That means if one Blue Mage/person with Learning in your party gets hit by a spell, anyone can use it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm thinking about checking out the Uncharted series. Can I jump right into the second one, or would I need to play the first one to understand the story?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

J-Spot posted:

I'm thinking about checking out the Uncharted series. Can I jump right into the second one, or would I need to play the first one to understand the story?

They're basically Indiana Jones movies. If you play the first one you might have some more appreciation for the characters or settings, but you don't need to have played the first to get whats going on and have a good time with the story. Plus the sequel is just better.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Anything for Tenchu Z?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

J-Spot posted:

You can jump into the second but I'd probably just play both. They're both pretty short anyway. The second one is a bit better but not so much that the first one should be skipped.

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007

PrinnySquadron posted:

Anything for Tenchu Z?

If you're going for high rankings learn to do TSKs(total stealth kills). The easiest way to do this is to grab someone while your sword is sheathed so that you put them in a chokehold. Then wait until the indicator on-screen turns red(there are some other distinct indicators as well) before killing them. As a bonus you can move people into more out of the way areas so there's less of a chance that the body will get spotted or that you'll get spotted while killing someone.

Really you should be doing stealth-kills all the time. Almost all of the unlockables are tied to this and if somebody spots you just run away until they give up the chase and try again.

As far as stats are concerned you want agility, then vitality, then strength. Strength really isn't a factor most of the time cause you're killing everything in one hit. There are a couple bosses though there are a few moves I think that can wipe them out easily(like this throw move that ends with a neck snap).

The main thing to keep in mind is that this is a really easy game that offers a lot of experimentation. Most of your skills are going to be unlocked as you progress so feel free to try new things if you find yourself getting bored. It's a very open-ended stealth game and a bit more appealing than those hardcore stealth titles where you're hosed if anyone spots you.

Oh and once you get 1,000 stealth-kills buy the Lurk and Feet upgrades and max them out. You're practically invisible at this level and it makes most stages a breeze.

PepsimanVsJoe fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 31, 2010

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

PepsimanVsJoe posted:

If you're going for high rankings learn to do TSKs(total stealth kills). The easiest way to do this is to grab someone while your sword is sheathed so that you put them in a chokehold. Then wait until the indicator on-screen turns red(there are some other distinct indicators as well) before killing them. As a bonus you can move people into more out of the way areas so there's less of a chance that the body will get spotted or that you'll get spotted while killing someone.

Really you should be doing stealth-kills all the time. Almost all of the unlockables are tied to this and if somebody spots you just run away until they give up the chase and try again.

As far as stats are concerned you want agility, then vitality, then strength. Strength really isn't a factor most of the time cause you're killing everything in one hit. There are a couple bosses though there are a few moves I think that can wipe them out easily(like this throw move that ends with a neck snap).

The main thing to keep in mind is that this is a really easy game that offers a lot of experimentation. Most of your skills are going to be unlocked as you progress so feel free to try new things if you find yourself getting bored. It's a very open-ended stealth game and a bit more appealing than those hardcore stealth titles where you're hosed if anyone spots you.

Oh and once you get 1,000 stealth-kills buy the Lurk and Feet upgrades and max them out. You're practically invisible at this level and it makes most stages a breeze.
Cheers, I bought the "Eye" skill or something, but how does it work?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Borderlands and Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom?

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

PrinnySquadron posted:

Anything for Tenchu Z?

A few things about the controls:
1) With a sheathed sword, press X to get someone in a choke hold. From here you can
- Press X to Chokehold Kill them, this leaves you with your sword out which makes you more visible.
- Press B to knock them out. They will wake up after a bit or if you bump into them.
- Press RB to drag them to the ground (which will hide you if you're in bushes) From here you can press X to neck snap, which keeps you from drawing your sword.
- Drag them to a wall and press A to hold them against it. From here you can press X to stab them but automatically sheath your sword.

2) With an unsheathed sword, pressing X on an unsuspecting enemy will stealth kill them. There are different animations for most directions, including front, back, left, right, from uneven ground, mid-air, through a sliding door, around corners, and hanging from a ledge.

3) Situational stealth kills like from around a corner are cool but incredibly impractical. You can, however, drag someone into position and knock them out with B and do the move.

4) You can do consecutive kills by mashing X when more than one unaware guard are close to each other. Usually you can sometimes get two people. Or you can grab everyone on the map and knock them out next to each other and kill all of them at once. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZAwxx-1uag

5) You can pick up dead bodies by crouching (RB) and pressing X. From here you can put them back down, or tap RB to throw them. You can throw them through doors, and if you hit somebody unaware, it will kill them instantly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusHzMwfgWk

6) Holding a d-pad direction will give you a different victory animation.

7) Click the right stick near a door you peek through it. You can also crouch walk towards a ledge to peek over/under it.

8) If you're going to use a ranged weapon (which should just be the blow gun, everything else is pretty worthless I think) hold R while aiming in first person to lock on to a target, then hit RB to shoot them.

9) And finally, I always find that Agility is probably the most important, followed by strength. Starting out, Vitality shouldn't be over 100. Basically you shouldn't be getting into stand up fights, or even taking damage. More Agility means you can run a lot faster, and Strength lets you kill faster when you actually have to fight.

You can cheese the first boss fight by knocking him into the water. Enemies aren't programmed to swim and die automatically. You don't get credit/money for beating him though. You should probably bump up your health and strength for this level if you have trouble though. He is pretty cheap and the combat system is pretty stiff and irritating.

quote:

Cheers, I bought the "Eye" skill or something, but how does it work?

When you're in first person, this allows you to zoom.

Remember that when you buy skills/abilities, you also have to set them afterward. Most abilities require minimum requirements for your stats too.

Bloodcider fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 31, 2010

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

quote:

5) You can pick up dead bodies by crouching (RB) and pressing X. From here you can put them back down, or tap RB to throw them. You can throw them through doors, and if you hit somebody unaware, it will kill them instantly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusHzMwfgWk
WHAT. The game never tells you this, at least not in the tutorial.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

KingShiro posted:

Borderlands

Stick to the type of weapons that your character gets bonus talents with (i.e. assault rifles as soldier, sniper rifles as assassin, etc.).

When leveling up, check all of the three skill trees extensively and stick to the one that you think gives you the best bonus talents. You can re-distribute your skill points at any point in the game but it costs a bit of money (not really an issue later in the game) but some of the trees are just a lot less useful than others, especially if you're playing the game alone and not in co-op.

Get a healing shield to heal you up after battles (doesn't need to have a high capacity, use a high capacity or fast-recharge shield when you get into fights and pop in the healing shield after a fight to replenish your health, then switch again). This is a lot better than carrying dozens of healing items (and wasting equipment slots on them which you could otherwise use to carry looted weapons which you can sell afterwards).

Check the vendors frequently. They will get new items every couple of minutes (you'll get a message when this happens) or anytime you load a saved game. The special items on sale are sometimes pretty good. Speaking of stuff resetting, the weapon crates you find throughout the game also reset when you load a saved game, so you can just keep loading a game and taking a tour through a town with lots of crates to gather all the stuff and sell it if you feel like it, although it's not really necessary to get decent equipment or become rich anyway, so unless you're desperate it's really a waste of time.
You should check out all the nearby crates every time you load up the game and start playing though, and that's not too much cheesing either in my opinion.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 1, 2010

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

How about Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries. I tried it once but had no idea what mechs to use or weapons to buy, or what missions to do. The wiki only seems to have a little bit of multiplayer info.

Asking again in case it got missed. Honestly I don't know which clan to start as or what loadouts to use, it's confusing. And I couldn't find the game's thread.

EDIT: To contribute for Borderlands, the "find weapon parts" objective markers don't point you to the parts themselves, like every other objective in the game, but just to the general area in which the parts are found. You have to dig around for them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Burning Mustache posted:

Stick to the type of weapons that your character gets bonus talents with (i.e. assault rifles as soldier, sniper rifles as assassin, etc.).

Actually, I'm going to suggest the opposite. Use the best guns you have. Yes, as a hunter sniper rifles and revolvers can dominate, but having a great SMG for close-up encounters is a very good idea. Especially in the early game, you can often find weapons that out-damage your class weapons. Don't be afraid to whip out an assault rifle if you specialize in SMGs if it's better than any SMG you have.

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007

KingShiro posted:

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom?

-If you already installed the patch get onto your system settings and delete it. Basically the patch was done because synthing breaks the game but synthing also makes the game several times more enjoyable. It's a tough call but unfortunately when the devs implemented the patch to fix the synthing they forgot to fix a lot of the BS that drove people to break the synth system in the first place.

-Hold onto every Grey, Blue, and Orange potion you get your hands on. Oranges can raise a weapon's attack power, Blues can raise an armor/accessory's HP, and Greys will allow you to balance out the SP usage. SP is the stamina of this game and if you can't swing your weapon that does a billion damage per hit well obviously you need to fix that.

-Healing necklaces suck rear end when you first get them. Instead synth one necklace on top of the other until you hit the max level. By this point you won't have to worry so much about potions.

-Does it make the game unbalanced? Well of course. After awhile you're going to be able to one-shot any boss in the game at any difficulty. I think it's better this way as the alternative tends to be doing piddly damage to some truly frustrating bosses because you can never seem to find strong enough weapons.

-If you love min-maxing though go ahead and seek out the lowest SP-requiring weapons that have at least 4 attack. For more info there's a nice little guide right here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932035-kingdom-under-fire-circle-of-doom/52551865

-If you're that worried just seek out a nice median and roll from there, maybe keep a set of ultra-powered weapons for emergencies(Like some of the later bosses because they're assholes).

-A number of enemies are immune to physical attacks. If you find something isn't working try a spell.

-Celine is the best character because eventually she starts to dress like an Elven Fairy Stripper. She also has a really good ice spell.

-Duane is the worst character because getting his achievements and final ability involve one completely terrible mini-game. He also takes a lot more work to reach basic competency compared to the rest of the cast.

-I honestly never beat this game legitimately. It's possible I bet but it's not any fun. Do whatever you like and just take in the strange and wonderful atmosphere.

PrinnySquadron posted:

Overture: Guilty Gear 2

Start with the Story Mode(tutorial) and uh...good luck. Not good advice but uh I still can't wrap my head around this game.

PepsimanVsJoe fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 1, 2010

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Just picked up Armored Core: For Answer and Overture: Guilty Gear 2 os any help for those would be appreciated.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

PrinnySquadron posted:

Just picked up Armored Core: For Answer ...
  1. Change the control scheme from Regular-A to Regular-B (or something custom). Regular-A uses the face buttons to fire your weapons, making it difficult to aim and fire at the same time.

2. EN weapons may have less ammo than their Ballistic counterparts, but they do more damage and never need to reload.

3. I've heard that Interior Union's parts make the early missions easier, but I made it with one of the supposed "bad" choices, so you can safely pick whoever you want (and by the end of the game it doesn't really matter, as you'll have access to almost every part).

4. DON'T EJECT YOUR WEAPONS AFTER YOU FINISH A MISSION. Ejecting a weapon counts all of its remaining ammo as used, costing you lots of money and lowering your final ranking!

5. Most Arms Forts have a central core or several key weak points, and destroying them will immediately destroy the entire fort. Find the weakness, destroy it quickly (consider using blades or other high-damage melee weapons), and avoid a war of attrition.

6. As with AC4, arena missions will net you plenty of cash and parts, making the rest of the missions easier. The sooner you can finish the area, the better equipped you'll be for the later missions.

7. Even though it looks cool, the wing-shaped EC-O307AB Laser Cannon is still bulky and useless. Use a smaller laser cannon and you'll have more room for other, better weapons.

8. Each game seems to end up with one broken weapon: in AC4 it was the Sirius cannon, and in For Answer it's the ZINC back missile. Equip two and most of the vs. Next fights will be over in seconds. You can unlock it by S-ranking Defeat Unknown Next and No Count on Hard (not really much of a spoiler, but just in case).

9. About halfway through the game you'll meet an old friend at Line Ark. Keep your distance, use the bridge for cover, and consider the benefits of loading up with a bunch of swarm and relation missiles to spam it to death. Or use the ZINCs if you have them.

10. If you get stuck in a mission, switching the Regulations (which control the rules and part balancing) may help. One regulation may make melee weapons godlike, while another may slow down the overall speed of the game.

Depressing Box fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 1, 2010

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

PrinnySquadron posted:

Armored Core: For Answer

Play through on normal first. The series is really good about changing missions for hard instead of just adding more health/enemies.

The second time through, look for a mission guide as there are actually about four endings depending on which missions you choose. Having completed the game once, you'll also hear additional bits of info from the opposing force in briefings etc.

Get fast arms and high accuracy laser rifles for fighting the faster enemy NEXTs. Bazookas just dont cut it if you're as bad as I am. Also put points into turning speed.

You will die a lot, especially in the later missions where said fast enemies are common and your camera can't keep up. But hey, at least they're slowing things down a little for the next game!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Just Cause 2

I've completed the intro missions and am being asked to go look into three criminal gangs or something.

Is there any reason to actually do more plot missions, or can I just go and gently caress poo poo up and make things explode? Also, any crucial tips (that aren't in the OP of the JC2 thread since I can't face reading it all...)

joooohn
May 9, 2006
na.ma.shi.bi.re.na.ma.me.ma.i
Bought Resonance of Fate and Yakuza 3, and couldn't find them in FAQ...any advice?

EDIT: Also, now that I've gotten a little further than this point, in Persona 3 what happens if you DO hug Yukari?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Just Cause 2

I've completed the intro missions and am being asked to go look into three criminal gangs or something.

Is there any reason to actually do more plot missions, or can I just go and gently caress poo poo up and make things explode? Also, any crucial tips (that aren't in the OP of the JC2 thread since I can't face reading it all...)

Go hog wild. Plot missions earn you money and stuff, but the entire world is unlocked after the intro. Don't bother going for 100%, you'll never make it. Just have fun as it is.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

joooohn posted:

EDIT: Also, now that I've gotten a little further than this point, in Persona 3 what happens if you DO hug Yukari?

Do you mean when you're on the beach? Nothing much, she gets a bit shy but she seems to appreciate it, then Junpei turns up and she gets all embarrassed. AFAIK it doesn't really affect anything else. However if you do it while on a date with her for the social link at level 5 she completely freaks out at you and storms off, making the relationship reverse

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I can give you a little info, but I played that game pretty casually.

1. Try to get into the Uziel chassis as soon as possible. It's a great medium mech, and it's pretty versatile.

2. ER PPC's are great for taking out point defense at long range. They'll also one shot most any vehicle that isn't a mech. (couple of tanks are the exception)

3. Small pulse lasers, MG's, and other "small" weapons are pretty much for filler, and taking out light defenses, like vehicles. They'll allow you to constantly plink away while your heavy weapons cool off. But be sure to have at least 2 or 3, one-slot small weapons in a group, or they're useless.

4. When you spot a target, go for an Alpha strike and hit it with every weapon you've got, all at once. It can cause almost any limb or section to go red with one shot, depending on load out.

5. Focus fire. It's easy to issue orders for "attack my target", and just as easy to issue that same order to all of your lance-mates at once.

6. Be sure to equip a couple of lance mates with LRMs and order them to attack at a distance. This frees you up from having to equip LRMs, and you can use MRM or SRM which really pack a punch.

7. Don't forget to hire good lance mates with decent stats.

8. Sell your unused chassis and money becomes a non-issue.

9. Clan weapons are lighter, and awesome'r.

10. PPCs are great energy weapons, but they're heat gluttons, so aim carefully and make your shots count.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Just Cause 2

The faction missions are quick ways of raising chaos to unlock the next story mission/black market items etc. They're usually quick and fun, I'd suggest trying a few if you get tired of the constant random destruction.

Attack helicopters are the fastest way to destroy bases. A lot of bases have helipads with helicopters waiting for you, look for them first. Just be sure to learn to dodge SAMs.

There are a bunch of airports scattered around the map. Most, possibly all of them have jet planes that you can steal, I recommend scouting them out early on so you can fast travel to them if you need to reach a point on the map that you haven't explored yet.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for the AC help. Couple of questions:
1. What do stabilisersmdo excatly?
2. What does "TUNE" do?
I haven't played these games before, so its a bit confusing v:shobon:v
EDIT: So I can pretty much use anything I like the look of?
Ngh, Can't do this first Order Match. Killdozer moves like . Wait, beat him by spamming the really fast firing weapon you can get at the beginning and my laser rifle.

PrinnySquadron fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 1, 2010

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

upperthorax posted:

10. PPCs are great energy weapons, but they're heat gluttons, so aim carefully and make your shots count.

10a. While using energy weapons of any kind but especially PPCs, keep your mech in whatever water you can find as much as you can. It will dissipate heat almost instantly.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

PrinnySquadron posted:

Thanks for the AC help. Couple of questions:
1. What do stabilisersmdo excatly?
2. What does "TUNE" do?
  1. Stabilizers affect the weight balance of your Next. Example: if you have a big gun in your left hand, your weight will be higher on the left side, and you'll go slower when you try to go right. To fix this, put a stabilizer on the right side of your body that's the same weight as the gun, to even it out. Careful, though, as too much total weight will slow you down.

As a side note, you can actually use this to your advantage: if you load up a Next with a ton of weight towards the front, it will move forwards very quickly. Conversely, load up the back so you can fly backwards quickly, and now you can shoot the enemies chasing you without losing speed.

2. Tune allows you to spend points to improve a part's stats (arm accuracy, leg weight capacity, energy recovery rate, etc.). You earn points by beating missions (more points if you get a high rank) and Order matches.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Anything for FF 1+2 on the GBA?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Captain Novolin posted:

Anything for FF 1+2 on the GBA?

Red Mages get most of the black magic and white magic spells, but doesn't get the top few tiers, I believe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

joooohn posted:

Bought Resonance of Fate and Yakuza 3, and couldn't find them in FAQ...any advice?

Yakuza 3 is a Shenmue-lite basically, so remember that both cities have a bunch of stores, scavenger hunts, places to get drunk, stip-clubs, etc.

You can equip things like iron gauntlets, sweat bands, and lucky tags to boost your stats. Pawn shops sell nice variations.

You can only eat if you're hurt, eating from restaurants gives you XP whereas just eating packaged food does not.

You can easily wreck the game by buying huge amounts of sushi-plates from the convenience stores to constantly restore your health during boss fights.

You can make a lot of cash starting in Chapter 6 by doing the bounty-hunter jobs.

If you want to boost your daughters happiness, know that there are only about 4 opportunities during the game to take her around places. In new-game plus her relationship will carry over and you can just play in the gently caress-around mode with her if you want.

The most essential upgrade in the game is the skill upgrade which extends your combo by one. Until you get this, you'll only have one guard-breaking move and bosses will spend 90% of their time ignoring your attacks starting at like chapter 6. Once you get this upgrade most combos will end in guard-breakers and boss battles will become fun once again.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't remember who, but I saw a couple of requests for Darksiders so I guess I can throw a few tips out.

Get the Spear Tackle (I think that's what it's called, it's the move that lets you attack in a dash) as soon as possible, because it utterly trivializes the combat.

Speaking of dashing, get it down as soon as possible. To effectively fight, you will need to be able to quickly move between several targets and get the hell out of the way of attacks. Just make sure you're not dashing into enemies, because that counts as an attack and will usually make you harmlessly bounce off of them while they pound you into the ground while you're recoiling.

Unlike God of War or Devil May Cry, your subweapons are to be used with your main weapon, not replace it. Busting out the scythe in the middle of a combo and finishing it with a heavy attack from the sword is completely possible and encouraged.

You are completely invincible while performing your finishers on enemies. You can immediately go into a finisher at any time, including in the middle of your combo or right out of a dash. Learn to abuse this, because the game loves to throw a lot of enemies at you at once, especially as the game goes on.

The game is almost all combat for the first hour or two. If you're thinking that it's just a bad Devil May Cry/God of War ripoff, at least stick around until you reach the Twilight Cathedral.

There's an achievement for fully upgrading all your weapons. Your sword is not included in this, which makes things much, much easier. Don't kill everything with the sword if you're going for this achievement, because your sword will get replaced and your new one will come at max level, wasting all those souls.

Get Fury's Embrace as soon as you can and equip it. It will reveal all the chests in the game, which makes hunting the Abyssal Armor and other Fragments much, much easier.

Magic is pretty useless outside of Stone Skin and Blade Geyser. The former will increase your offense and defense, with the latter being a very nice AoE spell.