Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

After having played it years and years ago on the Xbox I'm coming back to Morrowind on its rightful PC home. Any tips for making a wizard character? What gameplay mods should I get? I've decided to stick with the default graphics because as pretty as the screenshots of Morrowind with Crysis-quality graphics are, if the thread here in Games is anything to go by it requires installing over two dozen components in a very specific order, so I'll pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009

Vander posted:

What should I know about Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks? I'm about to head into the lost woods, for what it's worth.

In the big tower that you keep returning to, if you save & quit, you have to start all the way at the bottom. So if you have to quit while in this tower, put your DS into sleep mode.

You can go through most of the game without bombs since there are bomb flowers provided in most spots, but I think one of the upper levels of the tower requires you to purchase bombs.

I didn't bother with the mini-games and collecting train parts since travelling around was so boring :(

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Contingency Plan posted:

After having played it years and years ago on the Xbox I'm coming back to Morrowind on its rightful PC home. Any tips for making a wizard character? What gameplay mods should I get? I've decided to stick with the default graphics because as pretty as the screenshots of Morrowind with Crysis-quality graphics are, if the thread here in Games is anything to go by it requires installing over two dozen components in a very specific order, so I'll pass.
I had a lot of fun with Magical Trinkets of Tamriel. It adds all manner of useful toys, but it's likely to be a little overpowered in some ways. There are items that let you choose to give up the ability to use certain types of equipment in exchange for a 1 point MP regeneration each. Also stones you can equip that give all kinds of different passive effects. Plus a focus cube for every school of magic that can be set to provide a passive effect with an MP drain based on your skill in that school. And necromancy.

A whole lot of stuff will turn up as random loot in barrels or whatever. So you'll end up rooting through them all over again and actually get rewarded for it. It also doesn't require a script extender or anything.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Contingency Plan posted:

As it happens, just the other day I was working on a Morrowind mod pack for a friend of mine (and for my own future use). here are the files - even if you're planning to skip graphics mods and whatnot you can grab all of the unofficial patches there (and the mod manager - everything there is in MWMM format). There's a README in there with some useful information too, although the part on gameplay mods doesn't exist yet.

In making it I drew heaviling on BTB's mod list, which has links to non-MWMM versions of most of the stuff I mention.

As for the mods themselves...

Patches: grab the Morrowind Code Patch and Morrowind Patch Project. BTB's Mod List linked above also has a nice overview of all of the MCP options and what they do, which is easier to make sense of than the MCP's built in documentation.

Graphics: lots - I have (what I think are) fairly clear instructions on how to install them in the README linked. Even if you aren't planning to install any texture packs, though, you should at least install Morrowind Graphics Extender, which replaces the Morrowind renderer with a more up to date D3D9 version.

Gameplay: if you install nothing else, install HotFusion's Economy Adjuster and BTB's Game Improvements, which fix a lot of broken poo poo that the unofficial patches don't (because they're design/balance issues, not outright bugs). This is especially true if you're playing a mage. You probably also want to grab Magicka-Based Spell Progression (makes harder spells give you more XP), State-Based HP (makes End increases retroactively increase HP as well, meaning levels gained with low End are no longer "wasted"), and possibly Natural Magicka Regeneration (if you don't want to be wholly dependent on potions/resting). I would also recommend Madd's Leveling System, which unfucks the level-up system in a manner similar to Seorin's mod for Oblivion, but with the rest of these mods it's not absolutely necessary.

UI: Herbalism for Purists. Seriously. It lets you harvest plants by picking them with a single click rather than having to open them like containers. It has no effect on gameplay, but makes harvesting ingredients orders of magnitude less painful.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm picking up Bayonetta, any tips/info on difficulty modes/whatever?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Contingency Plan posted:

After levelling up a little you should make a house mod. It's pretty much a requirement of playing the game on PC :v:

And you need to fill the house with sephiroth super swords..

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 20, 2011

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

junan_paalla posted:

You unlock things in Bayonetta by finding shards of vinyl records in the levels. If you find a shard, that means that the other shards - which make up the full vinyl record and unlock a weapon - are in the same level.

Sometimes paths can open up behind you once you've made progress, so backtracking if you can't find any shards going forwards is useful. Or perhaps they're hidden somewhere you didn't think to look.

Other than that, the game is very forgiving. You can play any level as many times as you like, so there's nothing missable.

Edit: I believe you can also select any difficulty level for any level you play, so you don't have to start a new game to switch to hard mode etc. I haven't played the game since I beat it, though, so I may be mis-remembering.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

MurraneousX posted:

After levelling up a little you should make a house mod. It's pretty much a requirement of playing the game on PC :v:

And you need to fill the house with sephiroth super swords..
I've always preferred House on the Hill/A Nice Place to Stay. Have to agree that making your own is pretty nice too. Doing something like that with the construction set isn't very hard at all and there are a lot of premade set pieces you can stick together if you're not feeling especially creative. There are some really nice guides out there.

I always required a big library to cram all my stolen books into. Which, while we're at it, used a mod for turning them all upright to fit on the shelves properly. And a texture replacement for the covers. And oh God there are 87 mods loading what's going on?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Contingency Plan posted:

You actually only need MGE or MGE-XE to add longer view distance and new graphical effects. Though that's a separate program you need to fiddle with. It can be very simple, though.

If you're going to make a mage you may want to look in to magicka regen mods, otherwise you need to rest a lot, create a lot of magicka potions or use exploits.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

junan_paalla posted:

I seem to recall there being an item that, when equipped, gives you the ability to go into witch time by moving in the direction of an attack immediately upon being hit. Get this item as soon as possible and PRACTICE! While it may be considerably harder to enter witch time this way than by dodging, there are enemies on higher difficulties that will not send you into witch time by any other method.

Other than that, be sure to take the time during loading screens to try out some new moves. Bayonetta has a really beautiful learning curve but it is a difficult game, sharpen your skills whenever possible.

Edit: The item is called "The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa"

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 20, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

You actually only need MGE or MGE-XE to add longer view distance and new graphical effects. Though that's a separate program you need to fiddle with. It can be very simple, though.

I think he means the texture/model upgrade packs, and he's not far off - I've got about 20 installed. They're generally not fussy about order, though.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I've long been curious about the Assassins Creed series, but the first one got mediocre reviews, and I was broke when the second one came out. Now that I have some cash lying around and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood has overwhelming praise, I figure I'll give it a try. I don't much feel like playing previous games just to get to the good one, but will I be missing out on a lot? I understand that the story is rather involved, and Brotherhood drops you in immediately following the plot of AC2, so I wonder if I'll get lost.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

SinetheGuy posted:

I've long been curious about the Assassins Creed series, but the first one got mediocre reviews, and I was broke when the second one came out. Now that I have some cash lying around and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood has overwhelming praise, I figure I'll give it a try. I don't much feel like playing previous games just to get to the good one, but will I be missing out on a lot? I understand that the story is rather involved, and Brotherhood drops you in immediately following the plot of AC2, so I wonder if I'll get lost.

You definitely will get lost. Brotherhood assumes that you're familiar with the characters from AC2. While I skipped AC1 (too repetitive for my tastes, read the plot summary and now I'm following Geop's excellent LP) I can't really say that familiarity with AC1 is necessary. AC2 though... yeah, you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice by starting with Brotherhood.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

SinetheGuy posted:

Yeah, you should definitely at least play AC2. If you don't want to play the first one for some reason, there's a great LP of it going currently.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Monicro posted:

Yeah, you should definitely at least play AC2. If you don't want to play the first one for some reason, there's a great LP of it going currently.

And also, I couldn't imagine someone who likes Brotherhood not considering AC2 a "good one." If you have the cash for Brotherhood, maybe you could do AC2 and wait for a nice price drop on Brotherhood.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

SinetheGuy posted:

Hey, don't worry! I haven't played 1 or 2, and I picked up Brotherhood for the PS3 and I've been loving it.

Here's some advice!

Combat will be really non-intuitive because you've never played the series before. Once you get the option, drop out of the DNA memories and play around in the training areas. Specifically, you want to learn how to:

Attack with melee
Attack with a ranged weapon
Kick
Block
Counter
Escape from a grab

Those should be enough basics to get you through most fights early on, and the game will be forgiving after that.

You'll also want to spend some time in the training sim for stealth assassinations. Killing is easy and climbing is straightforward, but sneaking isn't. You need to get a feel for:

Remaining unnoticed at close distance
Distance assassinations
Targeted assassinations (i.e. selecting a dude in a crowd with your wristknife and jumping on him)

Then, once you go back into Rome, keep this stuff in mind:

The easiest way to make money is through city renovations. Look for shimmering signs on buildings, tunnel entrances and stables. You gain income from the city every 20 minutes, and the more buildings you've purchased/renovated the more money you get.

You can also make some quick cash by pickpocketing. Hold X while you're moving through a crowd to rob anyone you bump into.

One of your first priorities besides making money should be acquiring viewpoints. Those are the little wooden ledges that hawks circle that show you a nice panoramic view of your surroundings. They clear the fog on your map, but most of them are on top of Borgia towers that might be challenging for new players.

I can't say I'm very far in the game (sequence 4 or 5), but I haven't found anything to be insurmountable and I haven't need to consult a walkthrough. I also have been able to follow the story without any problems. Aside from the somewhat overwhelming start, new players can do just fine in this game.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 21, 2011

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For Morrowind on PC I'd still grab MGE even if you don't want to mess with Distant Lands or shaders. It comes with MWSE, which a lot of the more technical mods use, and it lets you play the game at any resolution (even widescreen). MGE itself is easy to install, only when you want a big graphics overhaul does it get tricky.
I'd say MGE and Wrye Mash are essential for PC Morrowind. If you have enough mods a Merged Objects generator would be useful too, like TESTool.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mystery at hog island posted:

And also, I couldn't imagine someone who likes Brotherhood not considering AC2 a "good one." If you have the cash for Brotherhood, maybe you could do AC2 and wait for a nice price drop on Brotherhood.

Definitely, AC2 is a fantastic one. Don't just play it to get caught up on the story, play it because it's an awesome game (and is cheaper than brotherhood).

One of my own: I rented Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and I've got about 18,000 experience points saved up because none of the moves jump out at me as being very good (I never use the few ones I have bought). Are there any essential or at least particularly useful ones that I'm missing for some reason?

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 21, 2011

Limorkil
Jan 4, 2011

Contingency Plan posted:

I played through Morrowind as a "pure mage" (i.e. never use a weapon) and it was a lot of fun. Pure mage is definitely hard-mode for Morrowind though, compared to using weapons.

If you pick Atronach as your birthsign then you will find it makes playing a mage a lot easier. However, I really think Atronach takes all the fun out of the game. Try using another birthsign for a challenge. You might want to check out a birthsign mod, but I found all the ones I tried just made birthsigns overpowered and broke the game lore.

The main problem is that your mana does not regenerate and you never have enough of it. In vanilla Morrowind you can get round this by learning Alchemy and making Restore Magicka potions. I forget what the cheap ingredients are for Restore Magicka, but there is a guy in the temple in Balmora who sells them. I guess that is kind of spoilerish but you will not get very far as a pure mage without making those potions ASAP. I strongly recommend a mod that allows magicka to regenerate.

If you have played Morrowind before, the only mod I think you should really take a look at is GCD (Galsiah's Character Development). It makes the whole level up process a lot more entertaining and it works very well. The goal is to make the Elder Scrolls system, where you improve skills by using them, actually WORK. Essentially it applies a kind of min/max algorithm to the whole process. For example: if you concentrate on being a wizard, and pick wizard skills, and do wizard things, then you will become a very powerful spellcaster with tons of magic and spell power. But you will suck rear end at wielding a weapon and you will have very low endurance and health. This is what you would expect for a wizard. The guy who did that mod was a loving genius and Bethesda should have stolen his concept for Oblivion/Skyrim. You play as a wizard, your stats look like a wizards stats, you are a wizard. Not this bland Bethesda poo poo where everyone becomes a heavy armor wearing, two-handed sword using archmage. You can't do that with GCD. GCD also has magicka regeneration, which ramps up the more wizardly you act.

I don't have to give you wizard advice if you are playing with GCD. Pick all the spell schools and act like a wizard. Obviously, destruction is a good spell school, but the best choice is the one that has Absorb Health (is that Restoration or Mysticism, I forget). Absorb Health will save your rear end.

I agree with you about the graphics overhaul stuff. It does look good, in screen shots. But the game plays like arse and you cannot save half the time you want to. I am sure they will clear that up eventually and someone will make a simple installation that ties all the working bits together. Besides, none of these graphics mods do anything for the character animations, so playing a game that has 2010 graphics and 2002 animations is a bit ... odd.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Ainsley McTree posted:

Definitely, AC2 is a fantastic one. Don't just play it to get caught up on the story, play it because it's an awesome game (and is cheaper than brotherhood).

One of my own: I rented Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and I've got about 18,000 experience points saved up because none of the moves jump out at me as being very good (I never use the few ones I have bought). Are there any essential or at least particularly useful ones that I'm missing for some reason?

I think I've gotten the most use out of the single target heavy combo. It's great for when streams of small enemies attack because you can crush them pretty quickly. The leap from blocking into a combo is alright as well. Everything else I've found to be difficult to execute or flashy but not very effective or efficient.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I have never before played a Metal Gear Solid game before but am thinking of picking up 4 for the PS3. Will I be completely confused as to the story from the previous games? I don't have a PS2 so are there some LPs of the previous games I should follow before I start the newest game?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vidaeus posted:

I have never before played a Metal Gear Solid game before but am thinking of picking up 4 for the PS3. Will I be completely confused as to the story from the previous games? I don't have a PS2 so are there some LPs of the previous games I should follow before I start the newest game?

You will be so completely baffled, you don't even know.

There are indeed some good LPs of those games, IMO. Chip Cheezum did LPs of MGS1-3 and is in the process of doing 4. RChimpCola did a pretty good LP of Twin Snakes, the GameCube remake of MGS1. If you have no way of playing these games but still want to play MGS4, I really do recommend that you watch LPs or read complete plot summaries or something, because you will be utterly lost in MGS4. Here's the LPs:

MGS1 - Twin Snakes
MGS2
MGS3

Now, I do recommend watching them in order, but it will be a little weird. Chip Cheezum basically LPed MGS 1-3 backwards, so they may reference some points in future games that you haven't seen yet. To minimize this, just watch RChimpCola's Twin Snakes LP instead if you really don't want to worry about that kind of stuff.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Also MGS3 is the best in the series by a long chalk, so if you get a PS2 at any point I strongly suggest you pick it up. It's a prequel as well so has very little barrier to entry in terms of plot (aside from goofy references to the earlier games).

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Vidaeus posted:

If you haven't turned on the game yet, for the love of God DON'T. Seriously, MGS4 is basically a giant MGS nostalgia-fest. It can barely go five minutes without making a reference to an older game. It's a great game, but do NOT play it before the others. Whether you like Kojima's storytelling or not, you will miss 95% of what's going on without playing the others.

As for LPs, yes, Chip Cheezum is LPing the entire series, and he does excellent LPs. He's working on MGS1, not sure if he's done yet. Can't you still play 2 and 3 on your PS3? MGS1 may be hard to find though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Heh, imagine starting act 4 without playing MGS1. :psyduck:

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

OilSlick posted:

Can't you still play 2 and 3 on your PS3? MGS1 may be hard to find though.

Only if s/he has a backwards compatible PS3 that can play PS2 games. And MGS1 is on PSN for 10 bucks. Actually 1-3 had a pretty nice boxed set a few years back that might be around in some stores.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Bought Blood bowl for Xbox 360(normal version), is there anything i should know?

Happilly killing enemy teams with my chaos lads at the moment.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 22, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just picked up Shadow Hearts: From the New World and FF IX, anything I should know about either game?

Also anything about Rogue galaxy or Persona 3/4 would be appreciated, as I might also be grabbing those.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 22, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
For the persona games, weakness exploiting is key, and status effects are actually useful so use them.

For 3, don't fuse away your starting persona until you beat the first boss as its weak to fire, and you might not get another fire spell without grinding. As far as fusion personas goes dont worry about missing ones. After the first month you get a compendium that lets you buy back any personas you used up, so theres no loss in doing so.

What a "good fusion" is is entirely up to you. I try and keep one of each element in my repertoire at all times and it got me through the game.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Only if s/he has a backwards compatible PS3 that can play PS2 games. And MGS1 is on PSN for 10 bucks. Actually 1-3 had a pretty nice boxed set a few years back that might be around in some stores.

Beyond that there's a rumor going around of it getting a HD trilogy re-release like a lot of other series have been getting.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
In Persona 3, I cannot stress this enough, you need to spend as much time on S. Links as possible as they will power up your personas nicely. Every 2 ranks in a S/ Link = 1 bonus level when fusing a persona of that arcana. That allows you to get personas up to 5 levels above your own level. Also, each completed S. Link lets you fuse special personas.

As for the S. links, focus on the school ones. If you want to max the social links, use a guide. It's boring, though. Don't use a guide on your first playthrough.

Fusing Personas is the best way to power them up, more often than not, you won't really make them level up unless you grind them. Then umber of learned moves affects the number of inherited moves when fusing the personas, though, so you might want to grind for certain moves.

The Growth abilities are pretty handy to have when possible. They give the personas EXP even if you didn't have them as the active Persona at the end of the fight. Growth 3 on a good persona will ensure that said persona will continually grow. it can be quite handy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Luminaflare posted:

Beyond that there's a rumor going around of it getting a HD trilogy re-release like a lot of other series have been getting.
What if it was for a handheld? I saw a tech demo for MGS3 and they can take that route, though I hate when that happens.
I am pleased with what they did for Bionic Commando.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

What if it was for a handheld? I saw a tech demo for MGS3 and they can take that route, though I hate when that happens.
I am pleased with what they did for Bionic Commando.

That wasn't a tech demo, they really are porting MGS3 to the 3DS.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Anything I need to know for Ace Combat 6?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Whoa, really? I was told the PS3 was 100% backwards compatible from the get go, supposedly as a "gently caress you" to the 360. That's what you get for listening to fanboys, I guess. How do you know if your PS3 is backwards compatible? My sister bought a 160GB PS3 about a month ago.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

OilSlick posted:

Whoa, really? I was told the PS3 was 100% backwards compatible from the get go, supposedly as a "gently caress you" to the 360. That's what you get for listening to fanboys, I guess. How do you know if your PS3 is backwards compatible? My sister bought a 160GB PS3 about a month ago.

PS3 WAS 100% backwards compatible from the get go, it wasn't fanboy hype, but eventually Sony removed legacy PS2 stuff from the hardware to save on costs, and switched over to software BC. The emulator had issues that sony didn't feel like fixing, so they just completely axed BC altogether, the 80GB MGS4 bundle that was out a few years ago was the last system with it.

If she just bought one a month ago, then it's not. They removed the BC years ago.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 22, 2011

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

OilSlick posted:

According to this here you're out of luck. It looks like the last backwards compatible PS3s came out in 2007.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

PS3 WAS 100% backwards compatible from the get go, it wasn't fanboy hype, but eventually Sony removed legacy PS2 stuff from the hardware to save on costs, and switched over to software BC. The emulator had issues that sony didn't feel like fixing, so they just completely axed BC altogether, the 80GB MGS4 bundle that was out a few years ago was the last system with it.

If she just bought one a month ago, then it's not. They removed the BC years ago.

This. You CAN go online and buy used/surplus consoles with backwards compatibility, for example here, but it's not a standard inclusion anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

And of course you get them at a premium because working hardware BC consoles are hard to find. That refurbished 60GB model costs as much as the new slim 160GB models that come with a $50 gift card. You might as well get the otherwise better 160GB model and put that gift card towards a used PS2, and still come out with $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Luminaflare posted:

If they do this, the HD MGS1 better be Twin Snakes. Despite what others say I think it's basically better in every way. Well, it was weird using a Gamecube controller, I guess that's a con.