Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Bluetooth human being posted:

In Fable 3, once I become king/queen, will I ever be able to go back to the game proper? Exploring, doing quests and jobs, that sort of thing? Or should I have done everything before that?

The point of no return is "121 days remaining". At that point, DO NOT visit the throne room until you're done doing everything you want. The game gives no indication that this is the point of no return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Cliff posted:

The point of no return is "121 days remaining". At that point, DO NOT visit the throne room until you're done doing everything you want. The game gives no indication that this is the point of no return.

Cool, now I just need to get about 8 million gold. Lots of pie to be made I guess.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
All I know about Mass Effect 2 is that Vanguard is the most fun class and that you should wrap up any loose ends before the IFF mission. Anything else?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

fozzie dunlop posted:

All I know about Mass Effect 2 is that Vanguard is the most fun class and that you should wrap up any loose ends before the IFF mission. Anything else?
- Vanguard has the best risk:reward and satisfaction but all classes are fun.
- both voiceactors are good, and don't let nobody tell you different.
- If you play on PC use gubbed's editor to give you a fuckload of minerals to avoid mining (also possible on 360 but harder)
- If a class you pick feels limited in regards to weapon loadout, you can get an extra weapon type later on.
- Random biotic power + warp = warpsplosion.
- different types of ungs have different multipliers for types of defences.
- Have fun.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Your squadmembers have "loyalty missions" where they ask you to do stuff like save a family member, get revenge on someone who wronged them, etc. When you complete them (note that there's one or two missions where if you make the wrong choice you fail and they're not loyal), they gain a bonus power and they perform better in the final mission. You can do those missions at any time before the IFF, so you can put them off until you feel like it.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

I may not have looked hard enough. But did anyone do one for Dragon Age Origins?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

RyanManRules posted:

I may not have looked hard enough. But did anyone do one for Dragon Age Origins?

Hold Tab and look around in every room/space you go through. Makes it very easy to find loot and extra stuff. Not sure how to do it on 360 though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Zedd posted:

- If you play on PC use gubbed's editor to give you a fuckload of minerals to avoid mining (also possible on 360 but harder)

I don't know if this advice is really worth the effort now that they've made mining faster and provide more minerals.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zedd posted:

- Vanguard has the best risk:reward and satisfaction but all classes are fun.

Yeah, to be honest this is really just a matter of taste. I tried vanguard a few times but couldn't personally get into it. I had more fun with soldier (bullet time & automatic weapons) and infiltrator (cloaking and sniper headshots) than with vanguard (insta-charging and shotgunning).

I mean I can see why that would be fun, it's definitely different, but I dunno, I just didn't really like it. I just want to make sure you don't go into the game thinking that Vanguard is the objectively agreed upon best class in the same way that Chaos Theory is the objectively agreed upon best Splinter Cell game.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Chief Savage Man posted:

Hold Tab and look around in every room/space you go through. Makes it very easy to find loot and extra stuff. Not sure how to do it on 360 though.

The "make everything you can interact with sparkly" option. :v:

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010
Bought Dawn of War II on a whim without playing either: a) Dawn of War I or b) a real-time strategy in about 10 years. Is there anything I need to know about game beforehand, or am I screwed enough to use a trainer and enjoy the story?

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

RyanManRules posted:

Most of everything in the thread for DA:O should be on the wiki. I went through a search on the thread when I played it a few months ago. Ended up re-posting the tips and they were added.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Bluetooth human being posted:

Cool, now I just need to get about 8 million gold. Lots of pie to be made I guess.

Real estate, especially the shops are quite profitable.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Vizrt posted:

Most of everything in the thread for DA:O should be on the wiki. I went through a search on the thread when I played it a few months ago. Ended up re-posting the tips and they were added.

Yeah, it's here:

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dragon_Age:_Origins

I'm starting to think (Especially after using the wiki pages for Chrono Trigger and now Final Fantasy 6) that for RPGs the tips should really be in plot order. Reaching a new place in the game and then hunting through the wiki page for relevant tips isn't fun.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

mrbasehart posted:

Bought Dawn of War II on a whim without playing either: a) Dawn of War I or b) a real-time strategy in about 10 years. Is there anything I need to know about game beforehand, or am I screwed enough to use a trainer and enjoy the story?

The game is more about small squads than masses of units so don't worry about macro control to much. Just find your favorite units and level them up. The normal difficulty is easy enough that you don't need any kind of trainer.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Luminaflare posted:

Real estate, especially the shops are quite profitable.

I think homes are more profitable, aren't they? I don't remember exactly what the numbers are but I remember doing the math once and deciding that renting homes had a better return. Of course you have to repair them, which sucks.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
We're going with a specific Final Fantasy 6 question here.

The general advice is "this game is easy, just play it." Yeah well (spoilers ahead I guess)

I chose Locke's path as the first path, got through South Figaro and now I need to get through the cave that has Tunnel Armor ahead. Of course, I have no equipment to give to Celes. I'm assuming I need to give her a blade to use her runic blade power, and apparently without it, there's no way the Tunnel Armor won't immediately kill me. How the gently caress do I get back into the town to buy or find some kind of weapon? Best I can tell I can't get in the way I came out (or at least I can't find the hidden passage again).

Am I seriously going to have to start this game over. This game that everyone beat when they were 12?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Blood. The original DOS game, GOG.com version.

I've already grabbed the One Unit Whole Mods launcher and played the first level. What should I know before going further?

I've already learned "fire extinguishers will loving kill you".

-The TNT is your best friend in the game. The game is filled to the brim with robe-wearing enemies that can hit you perfectly across a level with a fast-firing Tommy Gun, but they usually die if they're anywhere near TNT blowing up. Primary fire makes it explode on impact, while secondary is like your average grenade. You can make your toss go further by holding down either fire key. Generally what you should be doing is quickly darting into an area to see if there are any of the robed guys are nearby. If they are, quickly toss a TNT bundle at them. If they're hitting you, get away from their line of sight so that they have to reposition, then quickly go back out and toss a TNT bundle at them.

-The Shotgun rocks against Zombies.

-The Flare Gun is a one-hit kill if it manages to get stuck on a robed guy and it has perfect accuracy. Also, it makes enemies go through a hilariously over-the-top (but awesome) death animation, which is worth it alone.

-Episode 2 introduces the Remote Detonated TNT bundles and Proximity TNT bundles. Use the Remote ones like regular TNT, or toss one into a room/corner you haven't checked out get to blow up any robed guys that may be hiding. Proximity sucks.

-The Voodoo Doll and Tesla Cannon can wreck bosses/strong enemies up with little difficulty.

- The Episode 1 boss is the hardest in the game, mostly because you don't have anything really powerful, like the Voodoo Doll. My best suggestion for that rear end in a top hat is to hit him with the Flare Gun's alt fire, then hit him with everything else. It's usually enough to kill him.

-The "on-fire" death animation and gibs are incredible. Try to trigger them as much as possible because they make the game really satisfying to play, even though it's filled with bullshit design decisions like the robed guys.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 9, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Brian Fellows posted:

I managed to savescrew myself in Final Fantasy VI.

That's kind of impressive, actually.

Can she runic with whatever Locke's packing?

EDIT: If it makes you feel any better, yeah I was like 13, but I managed to be caught on a save with two characters in double digits with no healing items and an encounter with monsters that could one-hit either of them in that state queued up for two steps away. And I was way farther in the game.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 9, 2011

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
So anyone have anything for Suikoden 2? Characters that I have to get, items I have to get, etc? I just got finished infiltrating/spying on the Highland camp with Jowy and the main character.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

mcvey posted:

So anyone have anything for Suikoden 2? Characters that I have to get, items I have to get, etc? I just got finished infiltrating/spying on the Highland camp with Jowy and the main character.

Suikoden II (in fact, the series in general) is the reason humanity irrationally hates the number 108. For the people who played it, this hate is rational.

Get a guide, at least for the stars.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Brian Fellows posted:

The general advice is "this game is easy, just play it." Yeah well (spoilers ahead I guess)

I chose Locke's path as the first path, got through South Figaro and now I need to get through the cave that has Tunnel Armor ahead. Of course, I have no equipment to give to Celes. I'm assuming I need to give her a blade to use her runic blade power, and apparently without it, there's no way the Tunnel Armor won't immediately kill me. How the gently caress do I get back into the town to buy or find some kind of weapon? Best I can tell I can't get in the way I came out (or at least I can't find the hidden passage again).

Am I seriously going to have to start this game over. This game that everyone beat when they were 12?
That is one of the sections where things can go horribly wrong with the RNG. Try fighting it when it tosses drills at Celes and Runic becomes worthless in the only section it was useful. She can easily die from bad timing as TunnelArmr hits like the devil.

All easy difficulty discussions are bullshit (except Grandia), though we did eventually beat it as kids. The fire caverns near Esper's homeland, Cluckers, Hades Gigas, Gigantos, Allo Ver, and other things/places, can lead to people dying instantly if the RNG becomes furious.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Brian Fellows posted:

You MIGHT be able to steal a weapon from one of the random encounters near there. There was a set of equipment on the little mini dungeon on the way out but other than that i'm at a loss.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

closeted republican posted:

BLOOD 1 TIPS.

I've added these tips to the wiki, and I'd just like to point out that if everyone formatted their tips this way then it'd make adding things to the wiki a lot easier! So thank you!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Brian Fellows posted:

If you ignored the chests in that cave the first time through, they will have upgraded their contents. The chest in the upstairs room has a Thunder Rod, which will one hit kill Tunnel Armor.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Honestly I screwed myself by ignoring the treasure chests in the building before exiting the town because it's been forever since I've played an RPG with the horrible, every three steps random battles. I just wanted to get out of there. I usually expect some type of area where I can resupply after I get out of a random battle area. It's not like I don't have plenty of healing items and an area to rest and save at. I just get one hitted by Tunnel Armor and can't use the knife that Locke has to use Runic.

Sounds like my best best is to just start over. Unhappy.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Brian Fellows posted:

Honestly I screwed myself by ignoring the treasure chests in the building before exiting the town because it's been forever since I've played an RPG with the horrible, every three steps random battles. I just wanted to get out of there. I usually expect some type of area where I can resupply after I get out of a random battle area. It's not like I don't have plenty of healing items and an area to rest and save at. I just get one hitted by Tunnel Armor and can't use the knife that Locke has to use Runic.

Sounds like my best best is to just start over. Unhappy.

You shouldn't have to start over. It's really really hard to gently caress yourself over in the game. I'm pretty sure almost any weapon (except for like three or four of em) that Celes can equip can be used with Runic. So even if you have some lovely sword sitting in your inventory (don't use the optimum option) equip it on her. Other then that, I believe you can go back to the engine room and go back to the original location Figaro Castle was in to shop around, or at least wander around in Figaro Castle. Worse case scenario, grind a bit so you don't die so easily and maybe find a drop that will help.

I am 100% positive you can continue without having to start over. Look at a FAQ if you need to.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 9, 2011

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
This is on the way back to Figaro Castle, in the cave that connects the two areas. I'm 100% positive I could grind as well, but how long would that take, and would that be more enjoyable than just starting over? Doesn't seem like it.

Also, I did look at a few FAQs before posting here... one specifically said "If you don't equip Celes here, you're dead."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Brian Fellows posted:

This is on the way back to Figaro Castle, in the cave that connects the two areas. I'm 100% positive I could grind as well, but how long would that take, and would that be more enjoyable than just starting over? Doesn't seem like it.

Also, I did look at a few FAQs before posting here... one specifically said "If you don't equip Celes here, you're dead."

You can steal an item from Tunnel Armor called air lancet which allows runic. Grinding probably won't help because you have nothing good equipped on Celes. Your only hope is to steal the weapon as soon as possible, equip it to Celes, and fight on normally.

e: turns out Celes can't equip this weapon even though it's a "runic" weapon. Eh, you might have to restart.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 9, 2011

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

What should I know about playing The Guild: Europa 1400? The tutorials seem to only brush the surface and I've restarted about five times but I'm not really getting/getting-into the game. Is it my fault or is it not worth playing? Any tips for Space Colony would be appreciated too--it feels like a cross between startopia and the sims and I'm not really seeing how I can manage 20+ very different sims at once while simultaneously running a base and again, the tutorials only cover the basics. Thanks!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
FF6-If you look hard enough in the last section of passages under the town, I'm pretty sure you can find both weapons and armor for Celes. I also feel like there's someone in town who sells really basic equipment but I'll admit it's been a while.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I can't return to town the way I left. You escape through a secret passage at the east of town. Whenever you try to return, you're on the extreme west, and you get blocked by a Magitek knight and a normal soldier that just say "This town is under imperial control." They would've fought you before, but now they just talk at you. No way past them.

I gave in and just restarted. loving South Figaro.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Does junk have any other purpose other than to be sold in Dragon Age 2?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Man, you didn't even have a dirk or a mythril knife on you?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

OilSlick posted:

Does junk have any other purpose other than to be sold in Dragon Age 2?

If it goes straight into the junk pile, then no, at least not as far as I can tell. Every now and then you'll stumble upon a gift for one of your party members, but I don't think that ever goes in your junk pile, so feel free to sell sell sell.

They really might as well have just given you money honestly

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

They really might as well have just given you money honestly

Then they couldn't annoy you with a totally pointless inventory limit.

Following on from this: party gifts will go in Misc Items, I'm fairly sure, and you'll recognize them anyway because you'll immediately get given a quest about them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Brian Fellows posted:

I can't return to town the way I left. You escape through a secret passage at the east of town. Whenever you try to return, you're on the extreme west, and you get blocked by a Magitek knight and a normal soldier that just say "This town is under imperial control." They would've fought you before, but now they just talk at you. No way past them.

I gave in and just restarted. loving South Figaro.

That sucks but at least you were only a few hours in. You've now learned the painful RPG lesson of always stacking your saves.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

al-azad posted:

That sucks but at least you were only a few hours in. You've now learned the painful RPG lesson of always stacking your saves.
That and maybe trying the fight without using Runic (Jesus Christ). Just have Locke toss potions and Celes cast Ice. Locke is weak and Celes can hit for maybe 300+.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

al-azad posted:

While I started alternating save files starting with the Playstation and it's memory cards, I don't think it ever really clicked that the reason for 2-3 save files in the cartage era was multiple saves in the same play through. I always figure it was so multiple people could play at once, even though I was the only person playing in my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Scalding Coffee posted:

Celes can hit for maybe 300+.

Can she do that without a weapon? Because that was the problem.