Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

doctor 7 posted:

KoTOR 1 & 2:
- Go all in. Either completely good or bad but don't go in the middle.

Doesn't that go entirely against the very reason for playing these games? Unless of course your goal is power-gaming and not interactive diverse storytelling, this is lovely advice for someone playing KOTOR for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

VarangianSam posted:

Homeworld 2

-Single player is impossible, don't even try.

Ignore that, its entirely doable, just MAKE SURE AND PATCH before you do.

Pre-patch, the game is completley broken.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Dominic White posted:

Breakdown (Xbox)
Play on Easy. Normal mode is roughly comparable with Halo on Legendary. Hard mode is for masochists. Easy is roughly comparable to what Normal should be.

Are you serious? This game is not that hard.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zombie Defiler posted:

Neverwinter Nights 1
- If the game is really beating your rear end, pop open the aurora editor that came with the game and make yourself a little one room level with a chest, and fill that with whatever crazy items you desire, gold, etc. Oh and you can make unequippable items with infinite uses of spells that you simply right click and select to use. just remember to save your character after loading him up with gear.
- In single player mode it really helps to have a good NPC henchman following you around. In my experience the best are the Cleric girl, or the Halfling Rogue guy, assuming you are not the same class.
- Skip directly to Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark. There is seriously no comparison to the original campaign, these expansions are what NWN should have been and SoU starts at level 1 so there's no need to even touch the OC.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

Mecha Labrador posted:

SUIKODEN 5:

- Don't give anything important to Georg. The bastard wanders off several times, for hours at a time.
- Don't give anything valuable to Sialeeds either. Just loving trust me.
- Fight mummy enemies in the hidden ruins at the big hole near Rainwall. They drop magic absorb rune pieces. Magic Absorb Runes break the drat game in half. Put one on a powerful mage, and use their most powerful spells to your hearts' content.
- Speaking of which, Zerase is so powerful that she makes the game pretty boring. I don't know what the hell the developers were thinking.
- Equip as many Prosperity Rings as you can, once you can buy them from your shop. The money bonus quickly adds up.
- For even more insane money antics, equip each party member with 4 Prosperity Rings, and one piece of the Prosperity armour set. Bring along as many characters with the Potch Finder skill as you can, and put the Prosperity Rune on one of your active party members. Prepare to become very, stupidly rich in minutes.
- Use a guide. Seriously. You'll miss some of the characters if you don't. This applies to pretty much the whole series.

These are all great pieces of advice. Do NOT use Zerase if you want the game to be challenging. If you just want to get through it quickly, then go for it. I used her on my second run through and long dungeons were still occasionally tough, but boss battles were cake, across the board.

And yeah, use a guide unless you're really keen on wandering around talking to everyone you can access at every point in the game. And even then missing the good ending because you answered a question incorrectly at some point.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

zedprime posted:

- Skip directly to Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark. There is seriously no comparison to the original campaign, these expansions are what NWN should have been and SoU starts at level 1 so there's no need to even touch the OC.

And now I'm told, having completed the first chapter solo with my amazing Human Barbarian with a +1 Greatsword (and a level in Fighter so she can wear +1 Halfplate.)

Is it even worth finishing the campaign? It seems Great Cleave and a powerful weapon trivialises everything.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Warhammer Online

DO NOT under ANY circumstances believe that what it says on the box are the minimum system requirements :smith:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bob Smith posted:

And now I'm told, having completed the first chapter solo with my amazing Human Barbarian with a +1 Greatsword (and a level in Fighter so she can wear +1 Halfplate.)

Is it even worth finishing the campaign? It seems Great Cleave and a powerful weapon trivialises everything.
It depends how much you're enjoying it so far. The OC isn't terrible but its hardly good either. I guess if you're ever having trouble keeping going give it a pass but if you've already beat the first chapter you might as well keep chugging along just to be able to tell people "yeah, I made it through the NWN OC."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Wolfsheim posted:

Doesn't that go entirely against the very reason for playing these games? Unless of course your goal is power-gaming and not interactive diverse storytelling, this is lovely advice for someone playing KOTOR for the first time.

Absolutely not for Kotor 1. You may get away with being in the middle in Kotor 2 because the game stressed the gray area of the force a lot more, but the plot in Kotor 1 is either abour redemption or inevitability. The choices you make are supposed to be difficult, and the game makes you want to go down the evil route. If you really want to feel the struggle of a Jedi, playing as all good is a great experience. I say, play through Good first, Evil second (that way you can look forward to all the evil poo poo you skipped). Besides that, I wouldn't call "making the game beatable" power gaming when the entire system is set up such that your abilities only work well with your allignment.

Uab
Sep 13, 2007
Hungry

CloseFriend posted:

Don't forget, this is probably as good a place as any to make requests if you don't feel like you're playing a game "right."

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I could use advice on Ultima 7 and Final Fantasy Tactics. :shobon:

Ultima 7
Assuming you're talking about the Black Gate, because that one can be tough to get a handle on at first.

Use a walkthrough/guide to help you find the following before doing anything else:
1. Spellbook
2. Magic carpet
3. Your core companions (Iolo, Dupre, Shamino). Also keep Spark.
4. Forge of Virtue

Your character will have to die at least once to move the plot. Go let some dragons kill you or something, just make sure your companions don't die.

From there just see where the game takes you. Don't go around killing random people because it could be easy to break the plot. Don't throw away items that seem "important" (Rudyom's Wand, the Prisms).

Different trainers give different stats, so use game hints or a guide to figure out which ones you'd prefer your companions to be strong in.

If you walk into a portal and all your companions disappear, load the game and politely ask them to leave, so they can rejoin when you're done with that portal.

Don't let your companions carry important items, because sometimes they'll randomly drop all their poo poo and lose it forever.

Bake lots of bread. Pick up the Hoe of Destruction (go fishing for the key). Cast Armageddon (but don't save). Use the Black Sword on Lord British (but don't save).

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

Benedikt XVI posted:

Oh, nice. I have two requests:
Shadow Hearts Covenant and Final Fantasy XII

Shadow Hearts: Covenant
-Nothing makes the game easier than the Coral Pendant. Seriously, get them for everyone. They're also good for keeping your %s high so you get the Extreme in Japan.
-You really only need one good caster.
-All the end-game content in the game appears after you enter the final dungeon once.
-You don't get a Scan ability until late in the game. Once you get it, spam it often.
-Bosses tend to have one status effect gimmick per fight.
-Ring effects are the worst thing you can have, more so than instant death.

ChirpChirpCheep
Apr 22, 2008
Any advice on Final Fantasy 9? I started the game yesterday and want to make sure I'm getting the most from it.

Mint Mania IIDX
Aug 21, 2007

by Fragmaster

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Any advice on Final Fantasy 9? I started the game yesterday and want to make sure I'm getting the most from it.
- Let Freya win the monster hunt contest.
- When the Moogle tells you not to go up the vine in the Grotto, do not go up the vine. Unless... The ring you get from the contest for letting Freya win absorbs Thunder damage, which is the primary magic spell of the high-level Grand Dragons up there. Taking advantage of this can get your party at the time to ridiculous levels before the end of Disc 1.
- Same Grotto, the boss has a really nice magic staff you'll want to steal. It's an Ice staff that'll help you with the battles in the above spoiler.

Mint Mania IIDX fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 30, 2008

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
*Mandragoras give you lots of gil for a good while. Be sure to focus on one at a time so their attacks don't get stronger the less hp it has.
*You don't need to bother with cards at all. Just keep cards with the most arrows for the tournament.
*Piles of Gil are everywhere you don't think they could be.
*Save up all gemstones for friendly monsters except the ugly cat.
*The auction house randomly prices junk that could be resold and bought back at a lower price.
*The ATE thing is determined by following a fixed path you are currently heading. You can head back to the other path when you are done.
*Your equipment with a bonus to stats will eventually make that stat go up one point after a couple levels. It also stacks and goes up a point at fewer levels. Spirit and speed are not that important.
*Stealing from bosses is the biggest waste of effort in the game. Just get your special junk later on.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 30, 2008

ShrewdOrganMerchant
Apr 26, 2008

Please stop doing that.
Any advice for Etrian Odyssey 2 for the DS? I've played this game for hours on end, yet my party is still getting their asses kicked by the weakest encounters, my income barely covers healing expenses, and no-one'll give me more quests to do. Also, are F.O.E's just a cruel joke?

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

ShrewdOrganMerchant posted:

Any advice for Etrian Odyssey 2 for the DS? I've played this game for hours on end, yet my party is still getting their asses kicked by the weakest encounters, my income barely covers healing expenses, and no-one'll give me more quests to do. Also, are F.O.E's just a cruel joke?

F.O.E.'s aren't like in EO1, if you played that. They're meant to make you maneuver the maze. No XP, occasional drops. Never, ever let one catch you with your back to the wall.

If you need to, grind. It'll make it easier for you to kill the later enemies, as well as start to improve your equipment. What's your setup right now?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

FordCQC posted:

Are you serious? This game is not that hard.

I think if you did a survey of people that have played the game, most would say that they either quit early on or struggled to get through the early parts. I had to get really really frustrated, quit, and then go back to playing again three times to get past the part with the two guys in the smoke-filled hall. On easy.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Uab posted:

Ultima 7
Assuming you're talking about the Black Gate, because that one can be tough to get a handle on at first.
I meant Serpent Isle too, but that'll do me! I'm not used to Western RPGs like I am with Japanese ones, and the transition is a hard one. I was planning to finish the Black Gate first anyway for obvious reasons.

Unlimited Saga
· It's supposed to be hard. It was designed to be one of the most difficult RPGs ever made.
· No, you don't get to keep your skills if you get an upgrade. That's one of the game's many "suck it up" points.
· As you can see, you have two gauges, HP (Hit Points) and LP (Life Points). HP is easily lost and regained. LP can't be recovered until after a mission is over. If you lose HP, no big deal. If you lose all your LP, your character dies for the duration of the mission. HP loss is in white and LP loss is in red. The more HP you lose, the more likely you are to lose LP. If your HP hits zero, you can count on losing LP if you get hit.
· You can get HP back by pressing R3 on the overworld. Even in a battle, having a character sit a turn or two out will give them HP.
· Every loving item in this game breaks if you overuse it. Even if you use magic, it probably comes from an armlet, which will break if you overuse it. Weapons and armor will also break if you overuse them. To restore a weapon, all you really have to do is find just about any raw material and fuse it on. Visit a blacksmith each time you roll into town; your weapons have a way of snapping when you don't want them to.
· The game doesn't care if you're at the right level to be fighting an enemy or not, and it's often hard to tell anyway because HP isn't directly meaningful in the game. This is a multiple-concurrent-save-files kind of game.

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!

E2M1 posted:

Dynasty Warriors
  • Do not pursue Lu Bu
  • Seriously, don't do it

what he said

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005

Das Butterbrot posted:

Warhammer Online

DO NOT under ANY circumstances believe that what it says on the box are the minimum system requirements :smith:

I was just thinking about doing this. Thanks.

Maybe I'll just get a new computer.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

the littlest prince posted:

I think if you did a survey of people that have played the game, most would say that they either quit early on or struggled to get through the early parts. I had to get really really frustrated, quit, and then go back to playing again three times to get past the part with the two guys in the smoke-filled hall. On easy.

Wow. That's pretty early.

I know the part you mean though, and it is pretty tough, but doable. I can see how people could really get put off, but that's an unusual difficulty spike in an otherwise average difficulty game, in my opinion.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Sid Meier's Pirates!
  • Bigger isn't necessarily better; smaller ships have smaller crews, which are easier to feed and keep happy. Small vessels are also highly-maneuverable in combat and travel the world map quickly.
  • When your crew has two or three thousand gold apiece as their cut, they'll stay permanently content and you can play indefinitely.
  • If you intend to complete the main quest or marry, do those quest chains before your character gets old and becomes a slow fencer.
  • A Ship of the Line is quite a rare ship. If you see one, or an unmarked large frigate that might be one, attempt to capture one. As good as small ships are, there's nothing quite like firing broadsides from SotL.

Warcraft II: Orcs and Humans
  • At the start of a multiplayer match, hit the ESCAPE key to speed up the construction of your town hall!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Das Butterbrot posted:

Warhammer Online

I was actually going to try this today, you just saved me $50. Thank you.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Haraksha posted:

Absolutely not for Kotor 1. You may get away with being in the middle in Kotor 2 because the game stressed the gray area of the force a lot more, but the plot in Kotor 1 is either abour redemption or inevitability. The choices you make are supposed to be difficult, and the game makes you want to go down the evil route. If you really want to feel the struggle of a Jedi, playing as all good is a great experience. I say, play through Good first, Evil second (that way you can look forward to all the evil poo poo you skipped). Besides that, I wouldn't call "making the game beatable" power gaming when the entire system is set up such that your abilities only work well with your allignment.

I played Kotor1 and Kotor2 as middle of the road character. Maybe slightly evil since the good options are sometimes too silly. Didn't have any problems with that approach.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

The Capm posted:

I loved this thread last time and I will love it this time. Anyone want to provide a few tips for X-Com: UFO Defense?

X-Com: UFO Defense

-When you begin your game, begin building more Living Quarters and General Stores. You'll need them for more Scientists and all the loot you'll be shortly aquiring.

-Change both Interceptors' weaponry so they use Avalanche Missles; these are longer range than most UFO beams and should take out all UFOs until you can get Plasma Beams.

-Understand that units are expendable; it is not uncommon to have 50% mortality rates for new players. Just be sure to buy more Rookies.

-You can right click to have a unit turn and look. The Skyranger has windows allowing you to see a good portion of the map simply by right clicking.

-If you are finding yourself running out of ammo clips after missions, unload as many clips before the end of the mission. The game reads any clip currently in a gun as completely expended if even one shot as been fired from it. Alternatively, ammo clips not in a gun after the mission is finished counts as a full clip, even if only one shot remains.

-Never, ever, EVER sell Elerium-115. This is the basis of making plasma clips and advanced aircraft fuel. You cannot buy or make it; you must recover it from UFOs or alien bases.

-Terror missions are hard in the early game, especially for new players. If you think you cannot handle a terror mission, go there anyway and abort the mission on the first turn. Though you'll recieve a bad score, the penalty for allowing a terror mission to go unchecked is much worse.

-The best starting places for your first base is America or Europe. The surrounding countries contribute a large amount of money to your cause every month. Do good and they will increase funding.

-Try to research Laser weapons as soon as possible. They are a large upgrade in terms of damage and speed, and they don't use ammo to boot. Rifles are best for combat, pistols are manufactured in bulk to sell for a good early profit, and heavy laser is regarded as useless due to lack of auto-shot.

-Auto shot. Use it, learn it, love it. It fires three shots right after each other, statstically increasing your chance at actually hitting the target. In some cases where ammo or risk of secondary explosions is high, Aimed shot may be better. Maybe.

-Try to keep your scientists researching and your engineerings manufacturing 24/7. Shoot down and recover every UFO you can until you think you have a firm grasp on the game. X-Com is a big game and it will take a few sessions before you feel like you know what you're doing.

Those are a few tips I thought of off the top of my head. There's countless more tips, but I tried to keep them fairly basic so you can discover X-Com for yourself!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

CloseFriend posted:

I meant Serpent Isle too, but that'll do me! I'm not used to Western RPGs like I am with Japanese ones, and the transition is a hard one. I was planning to finish the Black Gate first anyway for obvious reasons.

On BG and SI, inventory management is a bitch, so get lets of bags inside your backpack and use them to manage it a bit better.

Also, having to constantly buy food for your companions is a bitch. The cheapest deal is dried meat from Britannia.

With these games, the secret is to try to talk to everyone and see what you can find out. Usually someone has a hint about what you're meant to do next.

Oh, and one more important thing (especially in SI) - if you click on anything, it tells you its name. Most walls are called "wall". Secret, openable (either by double-clicking or by using a hidden switch) walls are called "Wall". This is vital to completing the game in many situations.

Lastly, if you are deciding to have an inventory cleanout and there is even the remotest chance that an item you have may be useful later on, have a designated area with chests or barrels that you store everything you drop. Don't drop them on the ground!! Put them in containers so you know exactly where they are and so the game's memory manager doesn't decide to delete them.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 1, 2008

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

Someone suggested that I play System Shock 2 before System Shock 1 so I can appreciate the game more.

Should I do this?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Okami on ps2
-Have a very open mind or a mute button whenever you hear extended dialogue sequences.
-Those quicktime event paint strokes can be killer since you can't skip the cutscenes preceding them. So practice your strokes, especially those circular motions.

Fire Emblem Series:
-Save often and especially between every battle. You never know when you're lose someone to the dreaded permadeath.
-Playing on hard mode can sometimes be easier since you have more xp to gain from more enemies.

Mike Tyson's Punchout
-Yes, Mike can be beaten.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
-It's a beginner's rpg game. If you have trouble beating this, you may have to reconsider the genre.

Disgaea 2, addressing Disgaea 1 vets:
-It's not worth it to perfect an item (level 200), let alone 1 character's entire inventory versus just maximizing the levels naturally, which will probably get it to around level 100-120. For those of you who don't know, the process takes a whole lot of luck and resetting just to get certain random events to show up in the item world. Whereas just going through an item's item world all the way will probably take about 2 hours if you just breeze through it.
-It's ok to use exploits to cut down your grind time. Look up the Neko trick for details. From what I've read online, I've spent a fraction of the time (under 100 hours) accomplishing 99% of the game's goals compared to most people.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Started playing Mass Effect, and while I'm enjoying it a lot I also feel like I'm missing a lot of things. Right now, I'm on the Citadel (just rescued the quarian from the assassins)I've been making it a point to explore as much as I can, and talk to everyone as much as possible. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to be focusing on in the beginning.

I remember seeing someone advise to get the Rich achievement ASAP... any hints on how to acquire that much money? So far I only have about 1500 credits. I'm assuming I'll find some easy way of gathering more cash later?

Which is the best way to go? Paragon, Renegade, or somewhere in between? Can you earn points in one without it canceling out the other? Do those attributes actually do anything other than add conversation options?

Who should I have in my party? Do I want a balance of all three main classes, or does it not matter so much? Right now, I've got the human girl, the turian, and Shepard is an adept... Will I run in to any problems?

Any other advice?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Anything I should know about Metroid Prime 1 & 2 before I start? I beat 3 already.

Uab
Sep 13, 2007
Hungry

CloseFriend posted:

Finish up everything that you can before confronting the guy that you've been chasing for half the game. This means do all your quests, training, purchases, etc.

Don't wear gwani cloaks (I don't think doing so will break the plot, but just to be safe).

When you're collecting special waters, it'll save you time if you get two buckets of each type (some will go unused: I forget which ones you need extras for).

Do not double-click any pillars within the Silver Seed expansion (this bug might be fixed in Exult, anyway).

Go to Silver Seed as early as possible and at least talk to everyone in the command post until you get the key ring. Again, you'll have to die at least once in order to even get the ability to enter Silver Seed, so let some wolves kill you or something.

cmndstab posted:

On BG and SI, inventory management is a bitch, so get lets of bags inside your backpack and use them to manage it a bit better.

And (in Black Gate) use a barrel instead of backpack when you're strong enough. You'll know when you're strong enough.

Edit: Also learn your shortcut keys. "Ctrl + F" is food, and in Exult "Ctrl + K" will always choose the right key for a lock.

Uab fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 1, 2008

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

DontDateRobots! posted:

Started playing Mass Effect, and while I'm enjoying it a lot I also feel like I'm missing a lot of things. Right now, I'm on the Citadel (just rescued the quarian from the assassins)I've been making it a point to explore as much as I can, and talk to everyone as much as possible. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to be focusing on in the beginning.

I remember seeing someone advise to get the Rich achievement ASAP... any hints on how to acquire that much money? So far I only have about 1500 credits. I'm assuming I'll find some easy way of gathering more cash later?

Which is the best way to go? Paragon, Renegade, or somewhere in between? Can you earn points in one without it canceling out the other? Do those attributes actually do anything other than add conversation options?

Who should I have in my party? Do I want a balance of all three main classes, or does it not matter so much? Right now, I've got the human girl, the turian, and Shepard is an adept... Will I run in to any problems?

Any other advice?

1) Dont worry about getting the Rich achievement, it will come with time. AS you level up, the equipment that enemies carry gets better and you can sell it and be swimming with money. Just keep playing. Besides, that stuff makes the game really easier.

2) Its your choice whether you go paragon, renegage, or a mixture of both. It doesn't matter which way you go and the game is made for that. You do get charm or intimidate points based off of how many paragon and renegade points you have though. Also, I would keep a adept in your party. You get one soon enough. Also, you should keep someone in your party that can either decrypt or knows electronics so you can open stuff.

You dont really need an adept in your party, but it sure makes the game a bit easier.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

blackguy32 posted:

You dont really need an adept in your party, but it sure makes the game a bit easier.

Since I've got that base covered with Shepard, do you think I'm all right with the girl and the Turian? Or should I bring along someone else with adept skills? He's got a mix of combat and tech, and she's all combat.

Is it possible to screw myself over on a mission by saying the wrong thing? I'm always afraid to do the Renegade option, as half the time what Shepard says is a billion times more needlessly bitchy than I expected. There was some random guy in the Citadel markets, and by the second response I pissed him off and he disappeared. He's still listed in the journal under assignments saying I should talk to him, but I can't find him anywhere.

Thanks for the help!

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Vander posted:

Anything I should know about Metroid Prime 1 & 2 before I start? I beat 3 already.

Scan everything! Particularly things that either show up as a red scan point (more pronounced in 2).
A good chunk of your power ups will come from a scan that tells you it is made of x.

Most regular enemies can be killed by a charged ice/dark beam shot followed by a missile. Even those that have a resistance (but not immunity) to that weapon.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Any tips when playing The Suffering for the first time?

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Live a Live

First and foremost, don't use healing items unless you absolutely need to. They pile up for the final chapter and you WILL need them for the final boss.

Mecha chapter:

There's an easy-to-overlook door in the back of the first floor of the junk shop.
Also, you can't start the mech the first time you enter it.

Caveman chapter :

There's a spot near the end where there are three caves which when entered spawn an endless amount of weak enemy cavemen. Try to enter each cave once so the caveman flood starts and then go talk to your secondary character in the room between the caves to advance the story. Once he's back in your party the cave on the right will stop spawning cavemen and become enterable.

Kung-Fu chapter :
The protagonist in has a move that can paralyze anything in the entire chapter with a 100% success rate. Use it to stomp all over everything. When you get to a point where you have to choose between 3 characters repeatedly
pick your favorite one and choose him over and over until the story advances.

Chapter unlocked after all the initial chapters are clear :

Don't open any of the chests or pick up any of the many obvious healing items in the area. Trust me.

Final Chapter (minor and obvious):
If you plan on using either Cube or the Kung-Fu guy for the final showdown, choose them as your protagonist. They're the most annoying to recruit during the chapter.

Disgaea Series - This one's considered to be a big gameplay mechanics spoiler by some purists, but..
You can throw diagonally. Just hit the confirm button as you're changing directions.

uggy posted:

Any tips when playing The Suffering for the first time?

Check all the ceiling vents in the hospital. There's something unique and special in one of them.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 1, 2008

Kelrebin
Jun 21, 2008

by Ozma

Das Butterbrot posted:

Warhammer Online

My laptop is actually below minimum system requirements and it still runs on that smoothly enough for the game to be playable. v:shobon:v

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Uab posted:

Don't wear gwani cloaks (I don't think doing so will break the plot, but just to be safe).

On this, this is commonly accepted but actually not true at all. In the game's usecode script there is dialogue where the Gwani's complain at you about wearing the Gwani cloak and it is implied that they stop talking to you if you wear it. In reality though, this was either removed or never fully made it into the game, so you can wear the Gwani cloaks without any problems.

First time I played through I actually thought I HAD to wear Gwani cloaks to survive the cold areas.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons

Only use rowing ships, never sails. There are too many points in the game where wind will suddenly stop and you'll be sitting there with your thumb up your rear end as all your supplies quickly decrease. IMO the best ship in the game is the La Realle, an early row boat you can get used in most ports at the very beginning of the game, and I believe investing in Bordeaux a few times allows them to build it very early. Change the crew to five members, it will show that it can't run, but it can and it's extremely fast and will use almost no resources.

The easiest way to make a ton of cash right out of the gate is to sail to the NW side of Greenland and hope that a village pops up. If it does, give the villagers food until you can discover a Sabretooth. Go sell the discovery and make more than enough money to get a serious trade route between Athens/Istanbul started. If the village isn't there, there are a lot of other ones available, but it is the easiest to get to and offers a huge benefit.

Battles: Don't bother with cannons. Simply advance to the captain's ship and challenge them to a duel. Usually can't do this with a La Realle, so if you're going to be fighting grab a bigger ship like a Galleon or much later a Tekkousen (from Japan). Duels are basically rock-paper-scissors matches. You can get the best sword in the game at the black market in I believe Timbuktu very early. One of the best armors is in the black market in I think Copenhagen, which you can also get very early. In terms of battle commands, Thrust always does the most damage so be happy when you get a hit in with it.

Trade: Most trade routes suck except for two. Athens-Istanbul art/carpet run makes you a ton of money extremely fast. Later on after some investing, you can do a silver/gold trade route between I think Naples and whatever city is on the Canary Islands (that place needs to be 1000 industry to have gold). Two extremely fast methods to make a lot of cash.

Characters: Each story is good, Catalina and Otto's are both very short. Theirs and Joao's all have forced endings. The other three don't force you to go somewhere to end the game until you're ready.

The most important crewmember to get is a guy with a high bookkeeping skill. If you follow my strategy you will only be using one La Realle for the majority of the game, so you don't need a whole bunch of experienced sailors with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
SMT3: Nocturne

-You will die a lot, save all you can
-You can only recruit demons that are your level or below. You can't talk to some, like blobs, without special skills.
-Some demons will evolve when they have learned all thier skills. Some demons can only be gained through evolution.
-Know your weaknesses. No amount of grinding will save you from a boss if you leave yourself weak to its attacks.
-Always try to fight bosses on New Kagutsuchi, they will be at thier weakest.
-Buffs and debuffs actually matter. Sukukaja/Fog breath will give you the most bang for your buck.
-You can only learn a skill once. If you choose to get rid of one, you can'y get it back. Plan early on if you want to be a melee powerhouse or a caster. Always have at least one healing spell to back up your healing demon.
-The Amala network is an optional dungeon. If you finish it before going into final dungeon though it will lock you into a certain ending.