Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Mayor McCheese posted:

The wiki isn't loading for me right now so I'll ask here: Does anyone have any Torchlight 2 tips?
The game is very newb-friendly, and the in-game tips explain most of the idiosyncracies.
  • You can hold down tilde (~) to move your character towards the mouse cursor. It's equivalent to moving by holding down LMB, except that it leaves LMB free (so that it can be mapped to a damage-dealing ability, without accidentally triggering that ability when you're trying to move around in combat).
  • Your re-spec potential is very limited; try to decide early on which equipment setup you'll use (e.g. 2-handed weapon vs sword-and-shield) because spreading out your points will reduce your effectiveness in combat.
    • On the flipside, your newbie skills will generally remain useful throughout the game, because they scale with either your level or your weapon DPS (or both). Many of the high-tier abilities have prohibitively high mana costs and/or long cooldowns, so they tend to supplement your old abilities rather than replacing them.
  • Don't hoard your socketable gems. Unlike the original Torchlight, you can't upgrade low-level gems into high-level ones, and so the old ones will tend to become obsolete. At all times, you should be looking to apply your *current* gems into your *current* equipment.
    • Blood ember is a good choice for armor, since it gives provides passive HP regen (thus, you'll quaff potions during tough battles, but you can generally just regenerate health between encounters and thus maintain a steady combat rythym).
    • Frost resistance is very important for melee characters, because getting chilled impairs your ability to get to grips with the enemy.
  • Enchanting is now safe (never breaks items) but is much less powerful than it was in Torchlight 1 (because you can't stack dozens on enchantments onto each item).
  • I've found that the set bonuses are pretty unimpressive; I generally get better results by mix-and-matching a few Unique items and one or two pieces from a few different sets.
  • Engineers are tanks, Embermages and Outlanders are ranged DPS, Berserkers are melee DPS.
    • The game isn't terribly forgiving about breaking these archetypes - for instance, you can create a melee Outlander who dodges most attacks and flips around constantly in combat, but you'll be a complete glass-cannon and boss fights will be very arduous (score a few hits, fail to dodge something, die, respawn, repeat).
  • Engineers can succeed with a very boring tank playstyle, but the other classes will need a steady supply of Mana in order to fuel their abilities (and stay alive). Embermages should focus on passive regen (Rift ember in armor slots) while Berserkers and Outlanders can succeed with either Mana regen or Mana-stealing weapons.
  • Remember that you can teach spells to your Pet. Direct-damage spells aren't terribly effective, but summoning spells can be very helpful (an automatically-replenishing posse of meatshields!). Passive abilities (e.g. Adventuring = increased magic find %) can also be taught to your pet, in case you'd like to reserve your own spell slots for the direct-damage stuff.
  • Multiplayer tends to be a bit boring for Engineers, since the other classes will often outpace you and kill enemies before you can come to grips with them. You get experience and loot anyways, but it may be a bit frustrating. YMMV.
    • Loot is instanced. Whatever you can see is yours for the taking.
  • The duration of castable buffs/debuffs are unreasonably short (the longest one that I've seen is 30 seconds), and you can easily acquire a half-dozen of them on a single character. Unless you have uber micro skillz, you won't be able to juggle them effectively in combat (alongside movement, dodging, targeting, looting, etc). I'd recommend limiting yourself to 1-2 buffs that you can cast before boss battles, and dumping the rest of your points into passive bonuses.
  • Each class has a teleport-like ability which can be useful for emergency escapes, but they generally require line-of-sight. Don't expect to teleport across chasms or through impenetrable walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dreggon posted:

OK, sort of about to try to start Arx Fatalis and... I've got nothing. What am I trying to do? What mixture of stats will allow me to access the most content? Is stealth any good? Is magic absolutely required to complete certain areas?

What are you trying to do? I forget how much backstory the game gives you straight off. Your immediate goal, however, is to find a way out of the goblin prison and the caves under it, and up to the city of Arx to meet with what passes for civilization in these parts.

What are the most contentful stats? Object Knowledge (for potion brewing and object identification), Mechanics (for picking locks and disarming traps), and Casting.

Is stealth any good? No. Neither are ranged weapons, for that matter.

Is magic absolutely required? Yes. You are given scrolls just in case, but it's always better to be able to cast things yourself.

Other stuff-
- The game is open-source now. There's an unofficial patch, Arx Libertatis, that cleans things up a lot. You probably want this.
- You can cook food. This is probably mentioned in the manual somewhere. There's probably a lot of other things mentioned in the manual that I've forgotten.
- Not all spells are documented in the manual, and there are some hidden runes. Generally you can figure out what a rune means by experimentation, and then figure out what spells it enables from the meaning, but if this doesn't sound appealing you might want to look up a spell guide.
- Not everything in the Abyss is hostile; in particular, traditionally "always chaotic evil" races like goblins and trolls aren't, in Arx. Try talking first.
- There's a waypoint system, but it'll be a little while before you have the runes needed to activate it.
- Doug the Eagle has an anti-walkthrough for Arx. Do not under any circumstances read this before beating the game, but once you have it can be a fun way to make the plot throw a few gears.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Anyone have any suggests for Assassin's Creed: Revelations? Reckoned I ought to catch up on the series before the proper sequel comes out.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The Dark Id posted:

Anyone have any suggests for Assassin's Creed: Revelations? Reckoned I ought to catch up on the series before the proper sequel comes out.

- Most people tend to hate the den defence minigame. That's alright, you only need to do the tutorial one. After that, you can simply avoid that by not letting your notoriety reach max (a little harder than in previous games because buying shops raises it and there's no Wanted posters, but you can just run back and forth to a town crier so he 'resets'), by letting the den be capture and then taking it back, or by training assassins to Master Assassin until all dens have one.

- You should train all assassins you assign to dens to Master Assassins, the missions to do so are awesome.

- You should NOT give a poo poo about the Mediterranean Defence minigame, it's a mind-numbingly boring piece of crap that only gives you money, which isn't even that useful because

- You'll be able to afford most of the collectibles in the game through normal play, but there's a bunch of insanely expensive books in one level that I actually ended up using Cheat Engine to grab because I had done literally everything else and would still have needed to grind random poo poo for a week to afford them.

- Janissars are the only actually tough enemies. Learn how to break their defences quickly before they shoot you to death shoot you enough to make you waste medicine. Or just use plenty of bombs.

- Speaking of bombs, the most efficient setup is probably: small-radius sticky datura bombs (for stealth assassination), large-radius impact smoke bombs (to win melees), large-radius fuse noise bombs (to lure guards away). Other bombs are fun, though, so mess around. Also do Piri Reis' bomb-training missions, you unlock his shop and you get to hear fun war stories.

- Not all the pillar doors in the island actually unlock, so don't feel like you need to collect all the doodads to hear Desmond's incredibly boring story, once he gets to the start of AC1 you're done. I think the Lost Archive DLC unlocks them, but unless you're in the small minority who enjoys the first-person physics minigame you can just YouTube that.

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for FTL? This game is fantastic.

• If you see a slaver ship, attack it and then accept the deal they give you
  • Destroying ships gives you more scrap but bribes give you more Fuel, Missiles and Drone Parts
  • Do not shoot at a ship if you have boarders in it
  • Enemy boarders avoid rooms with no oxygen, so you can make them avoid important rooms by venting them to space

Any advice for Final Fantasy 6?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

The Dark Id posted:

To elaborate on what NihilCredo said, as soon as the option do to so becomes available (Memory 3 I think?) spend all your time unlocking dens, recruiting Assassins, sending them out on jobs to level up and doing the Master Assassin missions. All of the MA missions are in two parts, do all of the first parts and you will get the Master Assassin armour which will give you maximum health and it's unbreakable. Also, doing the missions will give you some excellent weapons with full stats, so don't bother buying weapons for reasons other than personal taste, except perhaps for the crossbow.

When you have a level 15 Assassin in a den the den will become locked, meaning that it will never be attacked by the Templars. Lock all your dens = no den defence no matter how high you notoriety.

Oh and don't forget that if you bribe a Herald you can pickpocket your money back straight away with no notoriety penalty.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

NihilCredo posted:

- Speaking of bombs, the most efficient setup is probably: small-radius sticky datura bombs (for stealth assassination), large-radius impact smoke bombs (to win melees), large-radius fuse noise bombs (to lure guards away). Other bombs are fun, though, so mess around. Also do Piri Reis' bomb-training missions, you unlock his shop and you get to hear fun war stories.

I don't hear any love for large-radius shrapnel bombs. :colbert:

One thing that's easy to miss about bombs is that you only need to go to crafting tables to change what kinds you're carrying. If you just need to replenish what you have, then you can craft more--assuming you have the supplies on hand--from your weapon select screen. Just select the bomb you want to make more of and mash a button, I can't remember which one.

Speaking of bombs, don't care too much about completing all the in-game achievements. There's one to craft all bomb types that seems to be broken, so you may not be able to complete them all anyway. Actually, in general don't be crazy about trying to 100% the game. Just play the story missions and whatever side missions you enjoy.

And use an Xbox controller if you're playing on the PC. Otherwise you're likely to go into a blackout rage the thirtieth time Ezio leaps sideways off a beam into a bottomless pit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

kick_the_penguin posted:

Its wiki entry has lots of good stuff already but on top of that...

-When you get to the rebel base, do not talk to the guy in the room full of boxes. Talk to the leader, say no, THEN talk to box-room guy. That way you'll get a sweet artifact without the cost of feeling like a dickhead.

-When having dinner, try to be as neutral as possible and talk to/beat up as many people as possible.

-The only stats that increase upon level up are max HP and max MP. To increase a character's Strength/Speed etc. you need to have them equipped with an Esper when they level up. Each Esper tells you what stat they increase on level-up. You won't have any Espers for the first several hours of the game so if you want to min-max (not that you need to in this game) wait until you get your first set of Espers to do so.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 3, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dreggon posted:

OK, sort of about to try to start Arx Fatalis and... I've got nothing. What am I trying to do? What mixture of stats will allow me to access the most content? Is stealth any good? Is magic absolutely required to complete certain areas?

I didn't know the game went open source so I don't know what was fixed in the patch. I'm going to list some things based on my original play.

-Magic is loving awesome even if it's not required to beat the game. The casting system is clunky (casting is in real time) but does awesome stuff like stop time, cause people to explode, make you hover over traps, move super fast, draw items near you, and so on. You have to pump a lot of points into it for the higher level spells but I wasn't disappointed playing as a magic character.

-No matter what build you're playing I highly recommend checking out a guide only to find out the minimum requirements for Ylside (I think I spelled that right) armor. It's the best armor in the game but has specific requirements to wear it. The requirements aren't that crazy but I would work towards getting it from the beginning.

-If you pick up an item called an Akbaa stone, keep it. Oh god, don't throw it away. They're needed to open the final door in the final level but the game doesn't let you know this until the end and you can find the stones really early in the story. I managed to lose one in my first playthrough and I couldn't finish the game because I didn't want to travel across the entire world looking for where I dropped it.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

If you're into achievements, please note that there is no achievement for renovating absolutely everything. So forget about those costly historical landmarks. Save that money to buy costly books!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I got Empire: Total War cheap off steam a few days ago. Never played a Total War game before so it's all rather daunting. I've done the battle tutorial and am at the moment doing the Independence campaign thing because I've heard it's like a tutorial, but things are moving pretty fast.

I've been able to win battles by flanking and using hills to my advantage, but are there any other really handy tips I should know?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Assorted Folks posted:

Assassin's Creed: Revelations tips.

Thanks.

On a related news story I'm playing Resident Evil 6 and this is something everyone should know the first time they play:

Immediately go to the options menu and gently caress around with the aim sensitivity (and perhaps camera) and switch the targeting system from crosshairs to the old RE4/5 laser sights. The default setting is WAY the hell too high and makes everything feel floaty and awful. The crosshairs are just inaccurate and bad. While you're there, change the laser color from red to green. There are tons of burning wreckage, bright orange emergency lights, and explosions where the red laser gets lost easily. Green is distinct against everything.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

-you can just run back and forth to a town crier so he 'resets'

This is an effective strategy, but I kind of have to laugh about the idea of bribing a town crier to stop talking about you, only to have him start up again the moment you're out of earshot, and your solution to this problem being to turn around and give him more money.

These guys are basically the clay davises of the renaissance

quote:

- Janissars are the only actually tough enemies. Learn how to break their defences quickly before they shoot you to death shoot you enough to make you waste medicine. Or just use plenty of bombs.

I found that shooting them in the face repeatedly with the pistol at close range tended to kill them nice and quick. It looks pretty badass and I never used pistol ammo for anything else, so it was a convenient fit.

If you didn't play the Mediterranean Defense minigame, how did you level up your assassins? Does summoning them to kill enemies for you give you enough XP to do it quickly?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

NaDy posted:

I got Empire: Total War cheap off steam a few days ago. Never played a Total War game before so it's all rather daunting. I've done the battle tutorial and am at the moment doing the Independence campaign thing because I've heard it's like a tutorial, but things are moving pretty fast.

I've been able to win battles by flanking and using hills to my advantage, but are there any other really handy tips I should know?

You might get some joy from this guide:

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/48849#.UGtQPTxrjpw

I know the URL is obviously Shogun related, but that's a link to a guide for Empire, honest!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you didn't play the Mediterranean Defense minigame, how did you level up your assassins? Does summoning them to kill enemies for you give you enough XP to do it quickly?
I actually sperged hard on the minigame and played it long enough to have full control on every city - upon which it turned out to have zero reward other than a 'cheevo, hence my 'gently caress that poo poo' comment.

I'm not sure about the viability of levelling up apprentices purely via Call the Brotherhood, but when you just need eight high-level dudes instead of sixty-five, casually stopping at a ravenry when you get the chance should be enough.

(It's weird, as the series went on I became more and more sperg about it. AC1 I only did the side quests that felt interesting/easy, AC2 I did every non-randomly generated sidequest, AC:B I renovated the whole of Rome but drew the line at collecting crap, AC:R I actually felt compelled to collect all the drat Animus fragments. I'm scared to think of what AC3 will make me do :ohdear:)

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

GulMadred posted:

Torchlight 2 stuff

Thanks a ton for this!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

I actually sperged hard on the minigame and played it long enough to have full control on every city - upon which it turned out to have zero reward other than a 'cheevo, hence my 'gently caress that poo poo' comment.

I'm not sure about the viability of levelling up apprentices purely via Call the Brotherhood, but when you just need eight high-level dudes instead of sixty-five, casually stopping at a ravenry when you get the chance should be enough.

(It's weird, as the series went on I became more and more sperg about it. AC1 I only did the side quests that felt interesting/easy, AC2 I did every non-randomly generated sidequest, AC:B I renovated the whole of Rome but drew the line at collecting crap, AC:R I actually felt compelled to collect all the drat Animus fragments. I'm scared to think of what AC3 will make me do :ohdear:)

Ah. Yeah, I didn't really find the mediterranean defense game all that taxing, but I didn't really think about it very hard either. I just checked to see if I had any free assassins every time I passed a coop, then leveled up enough to get masters in my dens...it's a fine little minigame as long as you don't obsess over it, I think.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Speaking of which, if you do decide to take over cities in the Mediterranean Defense game, once you assign assassins to other cities you can have them do missions in the cities they're stationed in. You don't need to send your local assassins to do them. It was quite a while before I noticed that.

It does lead to a lot of annoying micromanagement, though, which is why it's probably better to just send Assassin's on missions to level them up like in Brotherhood and ignore the taking over part.

6EQUJ5 posted:

To elaborate on what NihilCredo said, as soon as the option do to so becomes available (Memory 3 I think?) spend all your time unlocking dens, recruiting Assassins, sending them out on jobs to level up and doing the Master Assassin missions.
I would warn that it's not a good idea to do this if you're the type to get burnt out easily. Unlike the other games in the series, nearly the entire city is open from the beginning. If you decide to take over everything as soon as you're able, it's going to take a long time. When I played, I interspersed the side missions with the storyline, and I had no problem getting all of the master assassin missions completed by the end.

One more note: there is a challenge that asks you to do 3 den defenses. You will unlock that automatically once you have master assassins in all of the dens, so don't worry about doing the minigame just to complete the challenge.

Jokymi fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 3, 2012

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Hannibal Smith posted:

One more note: there is a challenge that asks you to do 3 den defenses. You will unlock that automatically once you have master assassins in all of the dens, so don't worry about doing the minigame just to complete the challenge.

To explain this, since it seems counter-intuitive, the game won't lock you out of the achievement. You are required to do 1 den defense, and if you install master assassin's in all dens you cannot access that any longer. To solve the problem of someone managing to never get high enough notoriety to trigger the game for the other two defenses, it just gives you the achievement.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Xander77 posted:

Fallout: New Vegas

Any way to fix stuff without having an identical copy at hand?

Just take Repair to 50 and memorize what you need to make Weapon Repair Kits; scrap metal, tape, glue, electronics, and a wrench. Jury Rigging is handy, but IMHO it's not worth taking Repair to 90 _and_ a perk.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I want as many people to play this amazing game as possible now that it has an HD release, so here, have some unsolicited NiGHTS into Dreams tips…
· Start with Claris. She has easier levels.
· You will feel disoriented at first. Nights moves along 2D paths on the 3D landscape. Despite its appearance, the game really has mostly 2.5D gameplay.
· At the very start of the level, before jumping into the palace to play as Nights, see if you can catch some Blue Chips as the kid. A few can boost your score quite a bit.
· The key to getting a high score lies with Links. Try to get as many of your actions to take place in short succession as possible. The real challenge of this game lies with the path-finding. After practicing it yourself, you may find it helpful to YouTube some other players doing it.
· After you bust open the Ideya Capture for your lap, don't go back inside the palace and finish the level. Keep going! You want to put in as many laps as possible before the timer hits zero. Conversely, whatever you do, get back before the time actually does hit zero. You'll lose a lot of your grade if you don't.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Gynovore posted:

Just take Repair to 50 and memorize what you need to make Weapon Repair Kits; scrap metal, tape, glue, electronics, and a wrench. Jury Rigging is handy, but IMHO it's not worth taking Repair to 90 _and_ a perk.

Weapon repair kits don't work on apparel. And even if you have all of the caps, repairmen won't fix apparel with no DT (or DR, on the rare occasion something uses it).

Also kits are 50% more effective at 100 than at 50 (although only 25% more effective at 75 - or 99 - but if you're going for repair 90 then you may as well).

Note that there's mods both for making weapon repair kits work on armor and helmets and for making kit efficacy a gradient rather than a set of thresholds, although these may unbalance the game pretty hard if you piss off factions with valuable armor.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Just got NFL Blitz on PSN, anything important to know?

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 3, 2012

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

6EQUJ5 posted:

You might get some joy from this guide:

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/48849#.UGtQPTxrjpw

I know the URL is obviously Shogun related, but that's a link to a guide for Empire, honest!

This is amazing, thanks!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Dark Id posted:

- you can combine most weapons for killstreaks now, hold the attack button to do ranged attacks; in my opinion it is much more finicky then in brotherhood but it is still in the game.
- No, there aren't any more faction missions then the 2 you do. :(
- You can throw 2handed weapons by holding the attack button, while not very useful in particular throwing a bearded axe from guard level into a guard on a roof is amazing fun.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Captain Novolin posted:

Just got NFL Blitz on PSN, anything important to know?

Da Bomb and man 1 blitz

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

kick_the_penguin posted:

Depending on the port, several things have been changed or fixed. Blind doesn't lower accuracy, so goggles do nothing. Evasion doesn't do anything. Vanish plus Doom/X-Zone may not work on bosses.

An out of the way island somewhere in the northern section with a horrible optional encounter will drop full magic points. You have to game it.

Some stats stack differently than others. The damage reduction difference between 250-255 defense and 250-255 Magic defense are not the same. Having a greater number of those stats exponentially increase your resistance at the higher numbers.

It's hip to be Imp, provided you can fully equip them.

You can never buy the best items from the auction house as you are scripted to be outbid.

Esper bonuses eventually reach HP+50%, +2 in everything else. Speed is not that useful if you have Haste or Relics.

The PSX port is a shoddy, slow-loading mess. GBA makes lots of changes. SNES has glitches where you can corrupt your saves or give you unlimited items.

Gau can learn a Rage that makes bosses kill themselves. He takes a lot of effort for equal results. Use a guide.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Company of Heroes

Is there any way to combine depleted squads or get them to stop manning machine guns/mortars? I'm running into situations where I just don't have enough infantry because they are all stuck manning captured equipment.

Any other advice would be appreciated too! I already checked the wiki, which has a couple of useful tips.

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
Anything in particular for Chrono Cross, which I meant to start when it came out on PSN, and now instead will play on my Vita.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Herobotic posted:

Anything in particular for Chrono Cross, which I meant to start when it came out on PSN, and now instead will play on my Vita.
· It's impossible to get everyone on the first playthrough, so don't worry about it.
· Your characters only gain levels when they beat bosses. Grinding gives tiny stat increases, but not enough to make it worthwhile to go out of your way.
· Running away has a 100% success rate—even on bosses—so don't be afraid to bail.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I picked up Burnout Paradise without knowing there was a 1.9 gig update to download that adds things like motorcycles, and you can press the two shoulder buttons (on Xbox) to 'Showtime' mode where you earn points for crashing.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Thanks to the people who gave me advice on Arx Fatalis. I'm installing the Arx Libertatis patch thingy (though I don't know exactly what it does :downs:) and I'll be leveling up the Mental attribute because I'm completely mental it gives the most in terms of secondary stats. It's like those old-school RPGs where the level of a specific primary stat affects how many secondary stats you gain per level, or in this case, just gives the most stats overall.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Herobotic posted:

Everything I would have said can be found on the wikia: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Chrono_Cross

Well, that and: There is a fullproof way to get the best ending. Most people think you have to be lucky, but if you max out each of your characters elemental grids, then max out their stamina, you are 100% guaranteed to succeed if you start the sequence correctly. That probably won't make any sense until you get to the end, but there it is.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fruits of the sea posted:

Company of Heroes

Is there any way to combine depleted squads or get them to stop manning machine guns/mortars? I'm running into situations where I just don't have enough infantry because they are all stuck manning captured equipment.

Any other advice would be appreciated too! I already checked the wiki, which has a couple of useful tips.
For your first question the answer is no to both. Look at how much a squad costs to build from scratch and how much cheaper it is to reinforce. If you are going to man a weapon and lose squad members make sure you have one or two left over to run back to base and reinforce.

Don't man equipment if you are in a firefight and less obviously if theres a good chance you are about to be engaged.

Watch replays of higher rated players and learn hard and soft counters for every unit. Soft counters are there to delay until you can get the hard counters out if necessary.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
What should I know about Resident Evil 6?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just picked up Dragon's Dogma. I feel like I recall talk of it in the thread, but I don't remember where, and I don't see it in the wiki. Basic tips (or more advanced ones, if this is the kind of game that requires such things on easy mode)?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Ainsley McTree posted:

I just picked up Dragon's Dogma. I feel like I recall talk of it in the thread, but I don't remember where, and I don't see it in the wiki. Basic tips (or more advanced ones, if this is the kind of game that requires such things on easy mode)?

Some quests are time sensitive, so they may automatically cancel when you complete certain story quests. The first ones cancel after you go to the pawn guild in Gran Soren. Specifically, the first quests that send you to witchwood should be done otherwise you get locked out of a later area.

Bandits are arseholes

Make sure you have plenty of oil if you're going on a long journey, the game's visibility reduces to almost nothing at night. Also, don't go out at night until you have a few levels under your belt.

Invest in empty bottles, when you come across a healing spring, fill the gently caress out of your bottles, this will help you out a lot in the long run. Because of the way healing works, your pawns will end up with really low maximum health eventually and spring water heals the whole party.

There is no fast travel as such, but you can buy ferrystones from someone in the noble quarter which zap you back to the pawn guild in gran soren if you're stuck in the woods with no healing items or something.

Other than that, most things are easy enough to pick up and it's a fantastic game, enjoy!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Polite Tim posted:

Some quests are time sensitive, so they may automatically cancel when you complete certain story quests. The first ones cancel after you go to the pawn guild in Gran Soren. Specifically, the first quests that send you to witchwood should be done otherwise you get locked out of a later area.

Bandits are arseholes

Make sure you have plenty of oil if you're going on a long journey, the game's visibility reduces to almost nothing at night. Also, don't go out at night until you have a few levels under your belt.

Invest in empty bottles, when you come across a healing spring, fill the gently caress out of your bottles, this will help you out a lot in the long run. Because of the way healing works, your pawns will end up with really low maximum health eventually and spring water heals the whole party.

There is no fast travel as such, but you can buy ferrystones from someone in the noble quarter which zap you back to the pawn guild in gran soren if you're stuck in the woods with no healing items or something.

Other than that, most things are easy enough to pick up and it's a fantastic game, enjoy!

This has been very helpful as I've been playing, thanks!

Something else I've been wondering about--are there any craftable materials & tools I should be hoarding, or can I get by just fine by selling materials for gold, and just buying supplies? I get easily overwhelmed when it comes to inventory management, and this is the kind of game where if I start hoarding crafting materials, I'm never going to stop, and I'm going to be constantly heavy and/or overencumbered...my instinct is to just sell all that stuff and keep myself supplied with items from shops, which seeeems to be working so far, but I just want to know if there are particularly precious items that I should be hanging on to when I find them.

Keeping in mind that I'm playing on easy mode and don't need to be powergaming.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Ainsley McTree posted:

This has been very helpful as I've been playing, thanks!

Something else I've been wondering about--are there any craftable materials & tools I should be hoarding, or can I get by just fine by selling materials for gold, and just buying supplies? I get easily overwhelmed when it comes to inventory management, and this is the kind of game where if I start hoarding crafting materials, I'm never going to stop, and I'm going to be constantly heavy and/or overencumbered...my instinct is to just sell all that stuff and keep myself supplied with items from shops, which seeeems to be working so far, but I just want to know if there are particularly precious items that I should be hanging on to when I find them.

Keeping in mind that I'm playing on easy mode and don't need to be powergaming.

Most items are pretty useful. If you find ferrystones, hold on to them for dear life, though you can buy them at a discounted price from fourneval after a certain quest midway through the game. Healing items are generally useful, but spring water heals everyone in the party. Harspud juice/sap is really good too, and you can usually find it lying around in dungeons.

Also, it's useful to note that you don't lose any items you give to pawns if they die or you send them away, so load up those pack mules and sprint off freely into the distance like the scumbag arisen you truly are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Gynovore posted:

Gonna disagree here, with Jury Rigging you can repair any power armor with junk like Metal Armor. It's great from a convenience standpoint and makes money a complete non-issue since every high-end item you find and don't use can be repaired with something useless and sold