Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

dylan14 posted:

What should i know before i play Shin Megami Tensei:Nocturne ?

I can't give you any specific advice, but you might get better answers if you ask specifically in the Atlus Games Thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

dylan14 posted:

Welcome to Grindtown, population you. Also, it will be a good plan to start getting some force-immune allies, as the will make one chokepoint very much easier.

Also, here's a great guide for UFC Undisputed not by me:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3122367&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post361105089

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 24, 2009

Rude Lion Guns
May 7, 2008

dylan14 posted:

-it's not as hard as you think it will be
-save as MUCH AS POSSIBLE
-try to have a dedicated healer with Mana Refill or Mana Drain. It will make the dungeons much, much easier
-Hama and Mudo are useless - skills that deal Light and Dark-based damage (NOT instant kills) are not
-remember that the main character can only learn each skill once. Try to give him at least an elemental spell, something to refill MP, and possibly Focus + the physical attack of your choice. My typical boss-destroying strategy was to fully buff the MC and fully debuff the boss, Focus, and then use Divine Shot. Bam, 1500+ damage in one blow.
-on that note, use buffs and debuffs as much as possible
-you can change the moveset of a soon-to-be-fused monster by canceling out of the fusion screen and reselecting its parents
-really, just pay attention to what you're doing

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Tried the CRPG thread but got nothin', I was thinking about busting out my copy of Might and Magic 6. I played it a little bit when I was much younger but the concept eluded me. Anyone got some tips? Should I just move on to 7 or what?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

dylan14 posted:

You will receive a Pixie early on. Never get rid of her. You can fuse her with other things, but never sacrifice or dismiss her. Ever.

Also there are like six endings you poor bastard.

Also Fog Breath is a useful early-skill.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

YggiDee posted:

You will receive a Pixie early on. Never get rid of her. You can fuse her with other things, but never sacrifice or dismiss her. Ever.

Also there are like six endings you poor bastard.

Also Fog Breath is a useful early-skill.

Fog Breath is a useful always skill. Also for maximum cheese fuse monsters with both Dark Might and Bright Might and challenge bosses only on new and full moons. This makes any boss who isnt void to physical a cake walk because you're getting 8 turns to wail on him. Taking down some of ultra hard optional bosses in the amala network and the fiends turn into cake walks with this strategy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

Fog Breath is a useful always skill.

Fog Breath is obsolete once your demons get Debilitate and you become a powerhouse damage dealer.

More advice:
Make your dude into a physical attacker. It is slow to start since Phys skills suck at the beginning, but the best skills in the game are based on Physical attacks.

Never forget Focus. 5 MP is a better loss than an additional 20%+ of your HP.

The best magatama in the game gives you +10 to all your stats, so don't go above that from stat increases.

The demifiend has an innate 50% resistance against light and dark attacks. This is very little comfort.

Twelve Beers
Nov 29, 2008

Oh yeah, what a great fucking ideeeeeeeea.
Just got off school and looking at Neverwinter Nights 2 to burn some time up. I've heard mixed reviews, but I only remember people bitching about the storyline. Look, I don't care about storylines that much in RPGs, I just like the world, dungeons, killing poo poo and upgrading my character through levels, spells and equipment in RPG games. Anything I need to know before getting the Gold edition?

(Also, I enjoyed Diablo series and these kind of games, but never got into the Neverwinter series...yet.)

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Twelve Beers posted:

Just got off school and looking at Neverwinter Nights 2 to burn some time up. I've heard mixed reviews, but I only remember people bitching about the storyline. Look, I don't care about storylines that much in RPGs, I just like the world, dungeons, killing poo poo and upgrading my character through levels, spells and equipment in RPG games. Anything I need to know before getting the Gold edition?
Rogues get shat on in the OC. Traps aren't even remotely threatening, there are spells and items that can handle any locks you'll want opened, and on you'll be fighting a LOT of enemies that are immune to sneak attack, especially around the endgame.

So unless you really, really like the rogue NPC you recruit, there's no real reason to ever play one or bring one along until the 1st expansion, at which point you'll earn a high enough level to get a feat that allows half-damage sneak attacks to enemies that would be otherwise immune.

Also, the magical crafting system doesn't let you make magical bows, so playing an archery-based character probably isn't the greatest of ideas either.

As for the complaints about the story, they're mostly about the first act, where you're sent on all sorts of boring, pointless errands in order to pad out the length of the game a bit.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 25, 2009

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Any tips when starting out with Star Ocean 4?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Any tips when starting out with Star Ocean 4?

Don't play on 1080p.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bloodly posted:

The formula for Elemental is annoying: PA+2, half the result, times MA.
Ahh, that helps, I probably should be leaning more toward MA than I usually do with that job. Odd that the job that gives the PA boost would get more boost from MA.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

CrashCat posted:

Ahh, that helps, I probably should be leaning more toward MA than I usually do with that job. Odd that the job that gives the PA boost would get more boost from MA.

Don't forget that their success rate of inducing a status is somewhere between 20% and 25%. Carve Model can be a live saver in a few battles if you get lucky.

Kid Presentable
Dec 21, 2005
I can't really remember if it's been mentioned yet, but I just picked up Star Ocean: First Departure. This is my first run at a Star Ocean game and I'm wondering if there's anything I should know

Varrack_85
Nov 10, 2004

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

During my present DOS games jag, I elected to play through the Quest for Glory series. Having enjoyed but never completed the first two games as a kid, I'd like to try them with my superpowered adult man-mind.

I know these early adventure games are notorious for loving you over with minute details, and I don't have the patience for games I used to have.

I've played through the first game many times and I have to say that the puzzles are not too out there. There's a few times where you'll tug your hair out in frustration, mainly in the endgame. However, most problems can be avoided by not dropping any items you acquire.

A few other tips:

-Money can be acquired by working at the castle, in the stable. Talk to the stablehand and he'll put you to work. 5 silvers a day. You can also pick mushrooms from the faerie ring (3 times) and sell them to the healer for 1 gold each. Finally, you can pick flowers from Erana's Peace (head north from the centaur tending his field north of the town, go one screen east and then north again) 3 times for 5 silvers each.

-Erana's Peace provides you with a safe place to sleep and free food everyday. It will also fully restore your health/stamina and mana when you sleep there, as opposed to the inn (which costs money) or the stable (which requires you to work there that day before you can sleep there). Sleeping outside gets you killed, and sleeping in town (not in the Inn) gets you robbed.

-If you have parry/dodge skills, you can spend a gold (10silver) to train with the weapon master in the castle. Use the arrow keys to fight (up = stab, down = parry, left/right = dodge left/right). This is a relatively safe way to improve your fighting skills without worrying about being killed by monsters.

-Make sure you have climbing skills. When night falls, if you can't climb, you can't get into the castle (to sleep) or the town, (also to sleep/purchase potions from Zara's magic shop). There are a few ways to build your climbing skill; the easiest of which is to go to the back of alley in town and attempt to climb the wall till it says you've been at it for long enough; someone is sure to notice. Leave the alley and return.

I'm sure other people have some helpful hints they can offer regarding QFG 1.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Varrack_85 posted:

I'm sure other people have some helpful hints they can offer regarding QFG 1.

When you make your character, you can give them whatever skills you want. I like making a fighter with magic skills, for instance.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

CrashCat posted:

Geomancers are horrible. Unless you're cheating, get Attack UP from them and then pretend they don't exist. Even though they use both magical and physical attack, their Elemental powers often hit for about as much as Counter Tackle.

The main use of Geomancer is that it gets the best overall stats while leveling - level down as calculators and level up as geomancers to get the best stats.

(Mimes get slightly better physical stats but no MP)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just bought Freedom Force and Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich off of Steam, but what are some general tips on how to play the game. Also bought Empire Total War as well.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Random Hajile posted:

Also, the magical crafting system doesn't let you make magical bows, so playing an archery-based character probably isn't the greatest of ideas either.

Are you sure about this?

I know you can make stuff like Darkwood bows and the like (Which give mighty bonuses), but you can't enchant them?

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I searched all 36 pages of this thread for Crysis but didn't see anything. I'm moving along at a good pace, but I feel like, the way everyone raves about the nanosuit, there have to be some sweet things I'm missing. Also it seems like there's a ton of real-estate between objectives and not much to do with it. Any tips?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Taerkar posted:

Are you sure about this?

I know you can make stuff like Darkwood bows and the like (Which give mighty bonuses), but you can't enchant them?
I'm fairly certain. Sure, you can get the mighty property by using exotic materials, but you won't be able to make yourself +X or +elemental damage bows or arrows.

Edit: Just found an override that enables it. http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2HakpaksOriginal.Detail&id=214

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 30, 2009

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Veritron posted:

The main use of Geomancer is that it gets the best overall stats while leveling - level down as calculators and level up as geomancers to get the best stats.

(Mimes get slightly better physical stats but no MP)

Geomancers don't get exceptionally good stat gains, Calculators are not the best class to level down as, and there's no point in worrying about which class you're leveling up in because it makes very very little difference unless you have like 50+ levels of Mime under your belt.

As said before, the best things about Geomancers are their equip options and stat multipliers. Elemental is a nice bonus.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Rirse posted:

I just bought Freedom Force and Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich off of Steam, but what are some general tips on how to play the game. Also bought Empire Total War as well.

I bought it too though I already have the games (but lost the cd keys). It's been a while since I played it but, from memory:

-The game is surprisingly pretty tough, especially if you are looking to do the optional objectives. Save often and in a couple different slots.
-Early on, it's almost always worth it to turbo charge Minutemans basic attack to do a one hit knock out rather than soak up counter attacks and bullets from other thugs.
-In addition, early on, if you think there is even a chance of going up against thugs with guns, activate Minutemans active defense. But I don't think you really need to put points into it.
-With the Steam version you eventually gain access to a hero named Supercollider, who is pretty much the TG Cid of Freedom Force. He's a game breaker, almost.
-Knockback attacks are your friend. If you're fighting on a roof you pretty much can 1 hit guys by knocking them off, most of the time. If you are fighting on the ground you can usually knock someone far enough back that you don't have to worry about them for a few seconds, allowing you to mop up.
-Power up man bots inherent powers until he gets flying or he's pretty much useless, as he's slow as molasses.
-Bullet is, in my opinion, the best character to control actively. He's fast enough to where you shouldn't get hit often and you can support the rest of your team all at once.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Rirse posted:

Pause the game and take a minute to search the map for canisters. These can provide health, power and xp bonuses.
Try to have a flyer on your team when possible.
Seconding the knockback recommendation. It's almost cheating on the final missions in the first game.

Dioscuri
Feb 6, 2006
Two birds with one stone.
Sure, why not.

Missile Command (Arcade)
- No, you're not imagining things, the missiles really ARE switching speeds. To compensate for it, keep in mind that your middle silo fires faster than your outside two.
- Only go for the bombers/UFOs on the first few stages, otherwise focus on the missiles, as the bonus you get from repeatedly saving each major Californian city outweighs the points a moving target will get you.
- You can launch missiles with pretty much no delay. If you see a large group try firing a couple of missiles at them, the resulting explosions may cause a chain reaction, taking them all out.
- This game will give you nightmares. It gave its own PROGRAMMER nightmares.

Gorf (Colecovision)
- In the final "boss" stage, try to ship away at the armor in front of the glowing portion of the mothership; this is the "core", hitting it will cause the whole thing to go Hindenburg rather than you just chipping away at it.

Operation: Jackal (NES)
- It's easier to hit-and-run the gun turrets than do a full assault, as your jeep is pretty fragile. Don't forget that you can run over the troops!

Lemmings [SNES]
- Before the trapdoor even opens, PAUSE! Take a look at the level, go left and right, and make a plan.
- Let a couple guys thru (usually builders) and set up blockers almost immediately, but keep your eye on both groups.
- As soon as you hear the "click click click" sound of a builder finishing, get that cursor on him. This can help with building really long bridges or alternating directions of ramps.
- Don't get discouraged! Traps can show up where you least expect.
- No, you aren't a bad person for enjoying watching them blow themselves up; the lag is hilarious too, which bring me to...
- Play 2-player, it's a thing of beauty.

Super Return of the Jedi
- Avoid Chewie in the first stage, he shoots too slow, aims awkwardly, and by hammering buttons you can kill anything with Luke or Leia ridiculously quickly.
- Leia on Jabba's barge is actually cool too because you can just hold down attack, unfortunately this means she can't block projectiles.
- Wicket's stage: In case you haven't guessed, as with most "multipath" stages, the object is just to get to the highest level, where the boss is waiting.

Jet Force Gemini (N64)
- Fish food is used to feed fish. That's it. It may also attract drones, but I've never seen it.
- Like Myst, take loving notes. You'll likely see something that you'll need to come back to with another character later.
- SAVE before you collect every ammo expansion. Most of them you can evenly distribute, but seriously save every Homing Missile expansion for Juno, as the final battle's impossible without them. To a lesser extent, tri-rockets too.
- MAKING you get a gold on each Floyd mission is one of Rare's worst tricks, eclipsed only by making you beat Donkey Kong with only one life in DK64. Just keep trying, and take a break if you're getting agitated.
- Speaking of Floyd, get a second player once you get him, as he's quite useful for crowd control. Plug in a second controller, and Player 2, as Floyd, get unlimited semi-automatic lasers.
- Plasma Shotgun is absolute poo poo.
- To contrast, Shurikens are THE poo poo, especially against drones with riot shields. Good for decapitation, too, and you can recollect ones you've thrown.
- You can get cheat for carefully getting headshots (or gibs) on drones and then collecting their heads. 300 heads gets you the best prize...
- Lastly, if you must take out your frustrations on the poor ewo... tribals, it's ok, as they'll respawn if you restart the level.

Fallout 2
- Strength really needn't be higher than 7, and that's if you want to be able to handle the heaviest weapons as early as possible.
- Similarly, INT at 5 is pretty decent, though it will shut you out of a few quests. Luck is good, but Agility is tops. You can never have to many action points!
- Stealing or bartering is a good tag, from there it's Small or big guns. Small is great early on, but if you survive to the point where you can get at least a light support weapon (NCR occasionally has them), Big weapons will make you the loving terminator. With a minigun or RPG... fuhgeddaboutit!
- Keep an eye on the clock. The entire town of Gecko was annihilated because I kept wandering around.
- Conversely, if you've got time, don't forget that you can rest to regain health! Go to your pip-boy and click the bell next to the time, and click "rest till healed"!
- Partners are also pack-mules. While Sulik may be a puss, he has a great storage capacity for fallen raiders' gear. Trade with them until you're fully stocked, then head to market.
- I'm not really sure how, but you can lose your car. Always leave town from the same direction that you entered, or it'll be lost for good.

Star Wars: Rogue Leader (Gamecube)
- Don't leave the targeting computer on too long, just pop it on and off. Too long, and you won;t get that gold medal.
- When assaulting a Star Destroyer, say your missiles for the bridge, and you won;t have a lot of time to shoot before you're pulverized, so just spam missile, proton torpedoes or whatever at it.
- Look, the Buick Electra is the best ship, even better than the Naboo Starfighter from the last game. Just cheat for it already.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Mid-air loving dodge.
- Mario and Link? Nerfed. Game and Watch and Luigi? BETTER.
- It helps to be selfish around big item drops, like from a party ball. If you want items, try and draw the person guarding them away, then circumventing them, smashing them away and jamming on the 'a' button.
- Carfeul of fast attacks! Capt. Falcon's forward-B leaves you without a third jump, as does Meta-Knight's cyclone. Worse, Marth's final smash can actually launch you off the stage if you miss!
- Unless you're great at timing PK Flash, Lucas is (sadly) better than Ness.
- Don't pick New Pork City unless you want everyone to loving hate you. Electroplankton is a close second.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Dioscuri posted:

- I'm not really sure how, but you can lose your car. Always leave town from the same direction that you entered, or it'll be lost for good.

If memory serves, I'm pretty sure you can only lose the car in New Reno, and even then it's not irretrievable. Ask around town until someone directs you to the chop shop, and there you can pay to get the car back. Or, if you're playing as a female, you can gently caress for it, which is handy.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Astfgl posted:

If memory serves, I'm pretty sure you can only lose the car in New Reno, and even then it's not irretrievable. Ask around town until someone directs you to the chop shop, and there you can pay to get the car back. Or, if you're playing as a female, you can gently caress for it, which is handy.

This is true, for the plot related car loss, but I think they might have been referring to the car loss glitch, which is well documented in Per Jorners excellent and unreasonably exhaustive faq http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/fallout2.html

This guy is on the NMA forums, so proceed with caution, but I have found this faq, and the one for fallout 1, useful and really fun to read.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ydaetskcoR posted:

I recently grabbed Mass Effect from ebay for pretty cheap. Any tips for that?

My biggest tip for Mass Effect is this: don't worry about your alignment. For your first run through the game, I highly recommend just responding to situations in whatever way feels natural or amusing to you. It's not like KOTOR where you're gimping yourself if you don't max out light or dark side to unlock the crazier powers.

The other thing is that you should play as a female, because the female Shepherd voice actor is better, and you'll be hearing a LOT of it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Question for Shining Force for GBA, may apply to Genesis as well. How do you equip weapons? I got a new lance for Ken, but cannot see any equip option. I tr to use it and that didn't work in town or in battle.

Also, for Mass Effect: Start with the Dig Site.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

dylan14 posted:

5 hours or so into the game you'll fight a boss called Matador. Unless you've been grinding for hours on end, this guy will brutally rape you without mercy when you first fight him. For God's sake make sure you and as much of your party as possible has wind resistance.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What are some good tips for Cross Edge and Folklore for the PS3. I heard Cross Edge is pretty complex, but gets good once you understand the mechanics.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

projecthalaxy posted:

Question for Shining Force for GBA, may apply to Genesis as well. How do you equip weapons? I got a new lance for Ken, but cannot see any equip option. I try to use it and that didn't work in town or in battle.
The character has to have that item in his inventory. If you buy a weapon for that character, the game should give you the option to equip it.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Also, for Mass Effect: Start with the Dig Site.
[/quote]

I'd say this isn't really a "start with Liara" as much as it's a "don't go to Noveria first, because holy poo poo the boss will kick your rear end"

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Just started with Independence War 2 - Edge of Chaos. Note that I've already played through it some years ago but I almost remember nothing of it except you fight Maas at the end and there are aliens and that there was a bug in an escort mission that makes it (nigh?)impossible to compleet without the patch. I'm mostly looking for mods that'll make the game more enjoyable while staying as close to the intended game/story as possible. Although other advice is more than welcome.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Infamous just arrived in the mail, lay your wisdom upon me!

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Resident Evil 5. I've played this a lot with others, but I'm working on my own file single player, and I've heard mostly terrible things about the AI partner. Is there a certain way to play that'll make her tolerable and not gently caress up the game for me?

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

Sunday Punch posted:

Unless you really suck, after the first mission the game will assign you the the 'hard' difficulty. Switch back to easy immediately, mainly for the fact that hard difficulty yields roughly half the exp that easy mode does. Vital if you want to max out your powers by the end of the storyline.

id107
Aug 1, 2004
put optional title text here

Rirse posted:

What are some good tips for Cross Edge and Folklore for the PS3. I heard Cross Edge is pretty complex, but gets good once you understand the mechanics.

Folklore
It has been a while since I played it so I may be a little of.
- Some folks are particularly weak against some other folks. Some of these relations are depicted in the picture book. Otherwise, use a folklore wiki if you get stuck. This effect is most obvious in the underwater world. In the rest of the game you can typically kill by brute force as well.
- To upgrade your folks, if the game says kill x folk A with folk B, don't take the id away but keep on pounding folk A until it really dies.
- You don't need to upgrade/grind every folk. Folks which attack in groups (2 or 3) are always very good to grind towards. Grind also the folks which are needed for the boss fights.
- You can target/lock-on specific folks. I forgot myself about this one and the game became brutal.
- You need to play both as Keith and Ellen to finish the story of the game.
- The levels with Keith are shorter and he has less folks to control.
- Choose a character and stick with him/her until the story demands you choose the other.
- The story and the cut scenes get better in the late game.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
I have Siren: Blood Curse for PS3, thinking it would be a little more approachable than the first one for PS2. It does seem to be, but I still feel kind of like I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Basically I feel like I'm hosed if I get caught by Shibito, and I'm trying to escort others around while I fumble around in the dark since I want to make sure not to attract anyone with my flashlight out in the open, and the sight-jack system is only SORT OF useful in figuring out where these enemies actually are.

I guess I'm wondering if it's supposed to be so hard and if I should be as confused/lost about knowing what I'm actually supposed to do as I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sunday Punch posted:

If you're ever hurting for power or health you can always just start zapping something metal until it has a good amount of electricity around it and then drain that. It won't give you a lot but it will usually give you enough to heal.