Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anything I should know before diving into Two Worlds 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Austrian mook posted:

I'm really into Macabre stuff and Visual Novels and my friend recommended Song of Saya to me. It looks... alright but I don't know I want to blow 30 bucks on something I'm gonna end up hating and playing 4 minutes of, is it good?
It is very, very Japanese. And not in the "cutesy and weird" way. More in the "don't let someone see you playing it, because even IN context, some of the scenes are pretty hosed up" way.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Just picked up Fiz. consistently making a profit on anything higher quality than Grubbs Light seems beyond me. Is it hopeless?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Leper Colon V posted:

It is very, very Japanese. And not in the "cutesy and weird" way. More in the "don't let someone see you playing it, because even IN context, some of the scenes are pretty hosed up" way.

Sounds like it should be, at the very least, something worth experiencing? Nice.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Psychonauts? I heard this game is really good but I'm having a hard time getting into it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Couple things for Gemini Rue, though it's an adventure game.

- Turn combat to easy, it sucks

- You can double left click to repeat the same action(Eye, Hand, Mouth or Foot) you last used. Helps reduce tedium sometimes

- You can't pause in the middle of dialogue

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

AASman posted:

Psychonauts? I heard this game is really good but I'm having a hard time getting into it.

I tried Psychonauts year ago, loved the story and graphics, but I'm not a platformer fan and the controls sucked (PC version). I would have killed for a cheat/trainer that lets you slam through the game and just experience the story.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Austrian mook posted:

Sounds like it should be, at the very least, something worth experiencing? Nice.

If that was what The Leper Colon V was implying, I'm going to have to strongly disagree. My old terrible :spergin: of a roommate loved that game, he wouldn't shut up about his loving "loli waifu" and man there's some real dumb poo poo in there.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Just picked up Fiz. consistently making a profit on anything higher quality than Grubbs Light seems beyond me. Is it hopeless?

Are you selling in Eddy's? Have you gotten the upgraded version of Grubb's? That one sells well.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 22, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Austrian mook posted:

I'm really into Macabre stuff and Visual Novels and my friend recommended Song of Saya to me. It looks... alright but I don't know I want to blow 30 bucks on something I'm gonna end up hating and playing 4 minutes of, is it good?

Imagine John Carpenter's The Thing crossed with Fate/Stay Night and you'll have some idea: effective, visceral horror, painfully written sex scenes you'll want to skip through at warp speed.

If you're playing through, there's only really two main branching paths. The first is when Saya offers to repair your vision. Saying Yes leads to the shortest ending, so save before that and pick it. Feel free to go through the rest as you will.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Can someone do one for Awesomenauts. Like is health-regen just a really important starting buy or a scrub crutch to overcome? Is Froggy G God? What should I be focusing on early in the game? How do I use the octopus man that I'm falling in love with but seems impossible to use at times?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Geektox posted:

If that was what The Leper Colon V was implying, I'm going to have to strongly disagree. My old terrible :spergin: of a roommate loved that game, he wouldn't shut up about his loving "loli waifu" and man there's some real dumb poo poo in there.
If he's the type who got "something that needs to be experienced" out of my warning, there's nothing we can do for him. He's already the target audience.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Can someone do one for Awesomenauts. Like is health-regen just a really important starting buy or a scrub crutch to overcome? Is Froggy G God? What should I be focusing on early in the game? How do I use the octopus man that I'm falling in love with but seems impossible to use at times?

Health regen is a good option for everyone who doesn't have some kind of leech ability. Being a MOBA, speed is also very important.

The most broken characters that I rarely see used effectively are Genji and Raelynn. Raelynn's sniper rifle has long range, line of sight, it's pretty difficult to dodge, it does ridiculous damage, and it can even hit people hiding in the bushes. It's really easy to defend lanes and combined with her wall you can easily line up hard-to-hit 'nauts or slow down bots. She's also easy to feed and even has a skill that gives her more money for kills. Genji's a strong healer and a good Genji player will never let their team die.

But their two best abilities, and one you should always have equipped, create bots. In Genji's case he turns a bot against the enemy so it's twice as good. These abilities win games. You should be using them the moment the cooldown resets. I rarely see people playing these characters this way and I don't understand why, the object of a MOBA is to destroy the towers and bots destroy towers.

My other favorite characters are Gnaw and Yuri. They lay traps. Put traps in the bushes or during the apex of a bounce pad and laugh whenever you get a kill because of it. Derpl is kind of hard to play effectively but he can really poo poo on towers and his nuke's range is ridiculous. Use it to hit 'nauts hiding behind a tower or trying to teleport away. For even more fun, nuke the bushes. There's always someone hiding in the bushes.

Generally speaking, the bank upgrade seems like a waste but getting the extra solar right from the start is really helpful. More importantly for Genji and Raelynn you get to buy their bot creating skills right from the start. Health regen is key to most characters but generally you'll find out the best upgrades for your character as you play. Just remember, the goal of the game is to get bots to towers. Don't get swept up trying to kill the enemy because a good bot push is all that's needed to win.

Swiggins is my least favorite character. He just feels outclassed in every way by the other melee characters.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 23, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Leper Colon V posted:

If he's the type who got "something that needs to be experienced" out of my warning, there's nothing we can do for him. He's already the target audience.

I like really weird poo poo, what are you going to do.

E: VVVVV: Thanks man!

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 23, 2013

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
There's a visual novel thread in ADTRW where you might want to take questions on stuff like Saya.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Gynovore posted:

I tried Psychonauts year ago, loved the story and graphics, but I'm not a platformer fan and the controls sucked (PC version). I would have killed for a cheat/trainer that lets you slam through the game and just experience the story.

If you just want to experience the story/little things, there is a pretty good VLP here

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Valdis Story: Abyssal City?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

So, how about that Shadowrun Returns? Am I failing at searching or has no one said anything about it?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

So, how about that Shadowrun Returns? Am I failing at searching or has no one said anything about it?

al-azad posted:

Did they add in passive adept skills yet or is that coming with the expansion? If not, I wouldn't bother taking adepts either because they're sorely underpowered at this point.

Shamans and mages have the best ability sets followed by riggers. Being a turn-based game, "action economy" dominates the battlefield meaning you want to have more potential turns than your opponent. Shamans can summon powerful creatures and practically every level has a free summoning point available. The best spells are area effect that reduce enemy AP or boost friendly AP for obvious reasons. They nerfed shotguns but they're still a great weapon choice especially in the end game when you fight super powerful immortal enemies that like to get in your face.

Drones suck at first but once you max out the skill and gain access to S level drones you become a one-man army. I made the mistake of ignoring riggers for most of the game but they get free items that refresh every run and repair kits are cheaper than med kits. Enemies also seem to prioritize them over your other runners.

Bump up charisma to get the shadowrunner thing then never touch it again. This should maximize your nuyen gain.

Damage is a status that doesn't stack. This means if you take 20 damage followed by 2 damage, you can only magically heal 2 damage. Enemies follow the same rules so continuous damage abilities like fire are disgustingly good.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Anything for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance? Other then 'Learn to Parry ASAP, I've already heard about the importance of that.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Game is all about ambiance, story, lore, and mystery. If you like reading every log and talking to every NPC because you like immersing yourself in a story, then you will enjoy this game. If you just want lots of turn-based combat, play XCOM

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spalec posted:

Anything for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance? Other then 'Learn to Parry ASAP, I've already heard about the importance of that.

Buy the dodge move(Offense defense?) ASAP and get some practice. It can be quite useful. Also you should practice your cutting because you will need it later(well you don't NEED it, but it is more useful if you can cut stuff rather than the alternative). You can move while in blade mode by clicking down on the left stick. This will let you get a better angle on stuff to cut.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Spalec posted:

Go watch Chip Cheezums gameplay video where he describes how to play the game, he does a better job than the devs. Parry, Offensive Defense, and pick up blade canceling once you get into the higher difficulties if you're into that.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Gaggins posted:

Anything I should know before playing Inquisitor?

Prepare for pain. Even while cheating. The combat is rear end, the magic is weird, the stamina regeneration is a joke, the enemies respawn way too fast, and by all means get the loving revive spell when you get the dog/a companion.
Just give yourself all the money, and buy goddamn potions. Makes it much more playable.
| \givemoney # where the # is the amount of money you want.
After that, fill two pages of the inventory (one good thing it has, it has a really good inventory, and most items have great flavor text) with stamina potions. Healing potions and mana potions (particularly mana) are less important by far.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Anything major for Ni No Kuni, other than typical JRPG-isms?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anything for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen? The website is a little thin. Should I be buying new equipment and upgrading it, or should I just wait to pick it up in the field/quests? Any skills I "must" get for striders/mages/etc.?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Grump posted:

Anything major for Ni No Kuni, other than typical JRPG-isms?

There are some tips on the wiki, but generally the game is pretty kind to you.

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Ni_No_Kuni:_Wrath_Of_The_White_Witch

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Got a few questions about games I'm currently playing or about to start.

1. Assassins Creed 3, are there any points in the game where it requires upgrading the ship or buying anything really? I've literally just been doing the main story and occasionally jumping out of the animus to read emails and put those power cells in their slots so I have basically zero cash. If there's a point where it becomes required for me to grind out some money then that'll probably kill my playthrough dead right there so I'd appreciate knowing now, would just watch an LP of it then (I know how it ends as well). I expect with this and my next game someone will tell me to just skip this and go onto 4 but I want to see the story through.

2. Anything I should know about AC4 before I start? Played a little bit of it a few times, from when you first start getting ship upgrades to when you get the diving bell. Nothing before or after that.

3. Resident Evil 6, I've heard the game does a piss poor job of teaching you really useful things so some of that would be good, along with good weapons for upgrading and such.

4. Bravely Default, the thread for this game is full of blacked out stuff, most of which seems to be tactics for the game but no indication about whether they're that or actual plot spoilers. Some of what I've read makes it sound really finely tuned so people are really using the job system and doing shitloads of damage but just about winning rather than utterly trouncing the enemies. I'm worried that since I usually don't utilise those sorts of things in games in the best way that I'll be getting killed all the time. Do they do a good job of introducing the job system and then new jobs to you gradually?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Me and a friend are planning to get into Anno 2077 alongside one another. Is there anything important to keep in mind?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

thebardyspoon posted:

3. Resident Evil 6, I've heard the game does a piss poor job of teaching you really useful things so some of that would be good, along with good weapons for upgrading and such.

You don't upgrade weapons or even have weapon choice in 6, your character just has/gets certain weapons. Instead you slot skills, at first 3 at a time but later (after completing any campaign IIRC) 8 sets of 3 you can switch on the fly.

Early good skills include Defense and Item Drop Increase, the latter of which will maximize the rate you get skill points. Once you're comfortable with the game, I'd run Firepower 3 / Melee 3 / Combat Gauge Boost 2. Other good skills to use are Critical Hit and maybe Field Medic if you're going all solo.

I'm going to assume you played 4 and 5, and so should know it's really about the melee, the guns are just to set up melee opportunities. Melee uses up your combat gauge, and if you're empty, you can't melee effectively. No combos, slow limp-armed swings, that sorta thing. Combat Gauge Boost is thus a pretty goddamn good skill to get, especially with Jake.

While aiming, press a direction and Space/A/whatever to dive. This is important to get out of the way of stuff and also looks cool as hell when you dodge a zombie attack by jumping backwards and shooting him in the face. While diving you can stay on the ground by holding aim while falling and shoot from the ground. This lets you fire without having to wait to get up after a dodge. On the ground, quick tap a direction to quickly scurry in that direction, hold to slowly move.

There's a feature, Quickshot, that is super awesome. Hit both mousebuttons/triggers at the same time and you'll do a quick shot (:v:) at the nearest enemy and stun them, setting them up for a combo. Some characters, at least Helena, have special combos with this: quickshot back to back a few times with certain weapons to do cool poo poo. With Helena, a Hydra quick will not only stun everything nearby thanks to being a shotgun flung around, but also reload at the end of it. Also superhandy for shooting those loving dogs out of the air if they leap at you.

al-azad posted:

First thing you should do in RE6 is turn off the aiming reticle. I don't know why they even made this an option but the laser dot is 100% accurate whereas the reticle isn't so it's literally useless.

Jesus I forgot about that thing. Yeah do this, the reticle is loving garbage.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 27, 2013

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I didn't have that experience, so much. Playwise, I have two recommendations...

1) Melee is actually pretty fun in this one with a satisfying counter system. I played a melee build (melee and defense skills) and didn't regret it.

2) For the love of god, play co-op. It's a fun game with a couple of frustrating parts co-op. It's the opposite if you solo it. Co-op or No-op.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Me and a friend are planning to get into Anno 2077 alongside one another. Is there anything important to keep in mind?

I just posted this in the Anno 2070 thread but here's my list of things you should know, from someone that didn't play Anno 1404. Much if it is obvious but here you go:

- Middle click to rotate buildings has saved me some frustration.
- It's often a good idea to set each warehouse to keep a minimum amount of vital supplies so they don't trade your last unit of fish or tea. I think you just hold right-click on the resource in your warehouse and drag to set an amount that won't be traded. You can also double-click the number itself and type in the exact amount.
- Clone building is extremely helpful if you're not already used to using it - click "N" (or whatever you have it set to)
- Same goes for build road and bulldoze, use those hotkeys (great tip I know)
- You just need a single house to upgrade to the next tier in order to unlock the first few new construction options, so consider forcing all houses to not allow upgrades, except for a couple you have manually assigned. This isn't always necessary but can help focus your resources better. It's a lot easier to provide only a few houses with the new luxuries instead of your entire island of unwashed peasants. Or you can just build huge and stockpile your resources on another island, and send huge amounts over all at once to trigger those upgrades.
- Make sure you have the requisite supplies stockpiled to actually get your houses to upgrade - Tier 1 to Tier 2 housing costs tools and construction materials, which can add up quickly if you have hundreds of buildings. Depends on one's playstyle I suppose.
- Only a certain percentage of houses will ever reach the higher tier, so you will always have some amount of Tier 1 housing regardless of how many luxuries you are providing. You can read all about it on various wikis, some of which also have efficient city layouts if you don't consider that spoilers:
http://anno2070.wikia.com/wiki/Residences

http://anno2070.wikia.com posted:

No matter how well the population is taken care of, a certain percentage of residences will be stuck at their current level. They form a permanent lower class for your society and will only retain the needs for that level. Each upgrade layers upon the last so that 80% of all housing may advance to Employees, 60% of those Employee houses may advance to Engineers, and 40% of those Engineer houses may advance to Executives.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First thing you should do in RE6 is turn off the aiming reticle. I don't know why they even made this an option but the laser dot is 100% accurate whereas the reticle isn't so it's literally useless.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

poptart_fairy posted:

If you want to optimize everything (which can be fun but rather spergy) find a calculator online (http://odegroot.nl/anno2070/calculator.html) and input what you have, or what your goal is, and it'll poo poo out exactly how many farms and tea factories and meat plants that you need.

That said, that can take some fun out of it, but it's really the only way to get to the "endgame".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Rollercoaster Tycoon 1

Do not build paths more than one tile wide. The AI is such that it decides what to do at every intersection. Two tile wide paths create an intersection every tile. It's best to reduce the possible paths, so don't have two entrances going to the same path tile or two shops across from each other.

Interest is basically nothing in this game. Max out your loan and invest it in rides. The game stops sending you guests after a certain point depending on how many rides you have, so always keep making more rides.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

If you want to optimize everything (which can be fun but rather spergy) find a calculator online (http://odegroot.nl/anno2070/calculator.html) and input what you have, or what your goal is, and it'll poo poo out exactly how many farms and tea factories and meat plants that you need.

That said, that can take some fun out of it, but it's really the only way to get to the "endgame".

That's a pretty handy calculator. I always used a screencap of this page which is slightly less cheaty, but I guess has the same end result in that it takes the guesswork out of how many buildings are needed.
http://odegroot.nl/anno2070/production_chains.php

Malcolm fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 27, 2013

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The way I look at anno, if you want to chill and relax then just play and not worry about min/maxing. If you are going for a monument or optimal placement, then cheat as much as possible within the confines of the game.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

thebardyspoon posted:

Got a few questions about games I'm currently playing or about to start.

1. Assassins Creed 3, are there any points in the game where it requires upgrading the ship or buying anything really?

None that I recall but is has been a while since I played. I think the only things I bout where bullets and I didn't spend a single cent on the ship.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

1redflag posted:

Anything for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen? The website is a little thin. Should I be buying new equipment and upgrading it, or should I just wait to pick it up in the field/quests? Any skills I "must" get for striders/mages/etc.?

I'm not a super pro, but some hints that were either passed on to me or I figured out:
- This game isn't too hard if you're resourceful, so go ahead and try all of the classes (including your pawn!). There are some cool augments you can carry over to other classes; the warrior and sorcerer have some burly damage enhancing augments, and iirc the fighter and assassin have some that let you carry more poo poo
- Buy stuff, you will get lots of money and upgrading gear is fun
- Generally, complete all the sidequests you have discovered (except notice board quests) before progressing the main story quest line. It's usually pretty easy to tell what is the main quest so don't worry about that
- The exception to that is to do the first two Wyrmhunt quests on the list as soon as they are available, because you will get rewards that will save you a lot of time traveling, and the story won't move forward
- Don't use a guide if you can help it, but I'd go ahead and spoil the "Escort Duty" quest because I was pissed when I learned about what I missed
- Many of the pawn inclinations suck. Your pawn can have a primary, secondary, and hidden tertiary inclination. Scather/Challenger as primary and utilitarian as secondary seems like a good combo. Guardian and Nexus can be pretty bad unless you know what you are doing and have some scheme in mind; avoid hiring pawns with these inclinations
- Regarding skills, I would just google for threads discussing the best skills or look in the comments on the wikia. Or just don't worry about it too much, you'll have enough points to experiment. Again, you will crush this game eventually if you are halfway decent so don't sweat it too much.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

- Many of the pawn inclinations suck. Your pawn can have a primary, secondary, and hidden tertiary inclination. Scather/Challenger as primary and utilitarian as secondary seems like a good combo. Guardian and Nexus can be pretty bad unless you know what you are doing and have some scheme in mind; avoid hiring pawns with these inclinations

Related to this, don't use the D-Pad commands, they will change your Main pawn's inclination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
I searched the thread but couldnt find any tips for Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman. Anyone got any tips for it?