Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I know it's a pokemon game but anything for Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't you go get a glass of orange juice and spill it all over yourself like a big dumb baby

I just picked up Shadow of Mordor. Before I start playing, I'd like to know how I can get the most fun out of the Nemesis System. I keep reading all of these cool revenge stories people have had with Orcs, but I'm still a little confused about how it works. I know if you die, Orcs rank up and get harder to kill, so should I occasionally die on purpose so I can experience the Nemesis System? Or will that eventually cause a massive spike in difficulty?

Any tips about that, or the game in general, are appreciated.

WITNESS THE POWER! fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 7, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Don't force it. The system works because while its incredibly "gamey" (in that it's very transparent about how it works) it feels organic in how people's stories evolve.

Seriously, just play and it'll work itself out. I personally recommend not getting too sidetracked with sidequests early on because the game keeps giving you new tools to play with up until the end of the story mode and if you complete all the side content early, like I did, you won't have anything to really use those toys on except for random dicking around.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

I just picked up Shadow of Mordor. Before I start playing, I'd like to know how I can get the most fun out of the Nemesis System. I keep reading all of these cool revenge stories people have had with Orcs, but I'm still a little confused about how it works. I know if you die, Orcs rank up and get harder to kill, so should I occasionally die on purpose so I can experience the Nemesis System? Or will that eventually cause a massive spike in difficulty?

Also I'd advise against upgrading health much. Makes dying easier.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The best advice I can think of is to do story missions at a decent pace, because many of them introduce gameplay elements. It can be tempting to immediately go into the open world and screw around, but you should probably at least get to the point where you unlock branding before you start going out of your way to do open world stuff. You don't necessarily have to die for the orcs to level up, this can happen if you pass time at one of the towers. Some people suggest advancing time every time you fast travel for this reason, as an alternative to purposely dying.

The Iron Rose posted:

Also I'd advise against upgrading health much. Makes dying easier.

This is good advice too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
To enjoy the Nemesis system, just play the dang game. Seriously. Orcs DO rank up and get harder to kill, but are never indestructible, and have so much personality while doing it you won't mind in the least. While the end of the game sees you becoming an absurd god of destruction, in the beginning you'll probably die a few times without intending to, unless you played a lot of the Batman games are are an ace at Batman combat.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Iron Rose posted:

The game's level curve is not designed for you using the Exp. Share, so turn it off and leave it off unless you want to vastly outlevel the competition and steamroll an already easy game. Beyond some early early early-game stuff you'll never need to grind on wild Pokemon if you fight every trainer you can.

You'll never need Dive and Waterfall at the same time, so replace one with the other when needed.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing some PSX games I missed, anything I should know about SaGa Frontier 2?

There are some good comments on SaGa Frontier 2 on this page of the RPG thread and the one immediately after it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353352&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=325

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Also there's only so many variations to the orcs so eventually the same ones come back even stronger. Some people are confused whether this is a bug or feature but as you thin out Sauron's army you'll be getting more powerful orcs appearing.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

With EXP All on, you can essentially skip all wild encounters and a good number of trainers. Unavoidable gym fights and leaders, rival battles, trainer speedtraps and scraps with Team Aqua/Magma will keep you plenty leveled. While it does let you steamroll the game if you keep the same team for any extended amount of time, it also lets you swap pokemon in and out more often without falling too far behind or having to grind too hard to catch up. I'd turn it off if you know exactly who you're going to use throughout the game and still expect even a marginal challenge. Turn it on if you like gimmick teams.

Amie happiness and actual happiness are two different stats. A high Amie rating will grant you extra EXP, extra criticals, more dodges, spontaneous status heals and holding on by 1HP, and some flavor text during fights. High happiness is what you need to evolve Golbat, Chansey, Eevee into Umbreon or Espeon, all the baby 'mons, and a handful of other evolutions. On a side note, regardless of happiness, Return and Frustration are still useless moves.

Look up a guide if you want to get into Contests. There are like 500 goddamned berries and it is not very intuitive which combos will make superior blocks. I believe the taste preference mechanic from RSE is gone, so stuff the little dudes with whichever blocks you like. If you're looking for Cosplay Pikachu you get him after your first contest win by an admiring fan.

DexNav gives more information and finds better variants the more you fight a certain pokemon. If you're hunting for that perfect Lotad, fight a dozen shittier Lotads first.

You can fly to any route or landmark from the AreaNav screen. Keep this in mind before passing over berry planting spots or clever secret base holes.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

paco650 posted:

On a side note, regardless of happiness, Return and Frustration are still useless moves.

Hm? I was under the impression that a max-happiness Return was one of the more powerful Normal-type moves, especially considering its lack of downsides. Are you just saying 'don't bother with Normal-type moves, they're poo poo', or is there something else I'm missing?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

Hm? I was under the impression that a max-happiness Return was one of the more powerful Normal-type moves, especially considering its lack of downsides. Are you just saying 'don't bother with Normal-type moves, they're poo poo', or is there something else I'm missing?

At max happiness, the BAR is 102. That's fairly high, and with 20pp and 100 accuracy it's actually a pretty good move at first glance and definitely one of the better Normal straight-up haymakers.

But, it lacks any extra effects without held items, and the fact that you have to get happiness that high in the first place to make it do that much damage limits it; it'll only be worthwhile on pokemon you've been babying and probably have given better movesets, or on pokemon you've specifically ground happiness for (Igglybuff, Buneary and Chansey are the only Normals I can think of that NEED happiness, and none are particularly brawny).

Also, it's a Normal attack. It'll never be super effective, won't harm ghosts at all, and is one of the many types resisted by popular Rock and Steel defensive stalling-types. Normal doesn't get enough love.

im cute fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 7, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
It's pretty easy to get something to max happiness. And Return is also good on pokemon with Aerilate or Refrigerate or whatever all those abilities are.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Flame112 posted:

It's pretty easy to get something to max happiness. And Return is also good on pokemon with Aerilate or Refrigerate or whatever all those abilities are.

Well, I tried my best. Maybe Return isn't so bad. I still stand by Frustration being a poo poo move.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

paco650 posted:

Well, I tried my best. Maybe Return isn't so bad. I still stand by Frustration being a poo poo move.
Frustration is garbage because every time your mon wins a battle it becomes worse. Return is a pretty solid nuke in the maingame though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, Return is one of those moves where at the end game, it's rarely the BEST move in a Pokemon's arsenal (unless it's Normal type in which case it is ridiculously powerful), but for any Pokemon with a decent Attack stat, it's a pretty good one.

On that note, some tips I posted about X/Y that still apply:
Physical attacks (yellow starburst on red) use Attack, Special attacks use Special Attack (white ripple on blue). When a 'mon uses an attack that matches its type, its power is boosted by 50%. This is called the Same-Type Attack Bonus (STAB). Use this information when deciding what moves to use.

For a rough estimate of different moves' relative power, multiply the user's relevant attacking stat by the move's power.

Don't be ashamed to keep a type-interaction chart handy. Some of them are pretty obvious (Fire beats Grass), while others are... less so. (Dark is weak to Fighting and Bug.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 7, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The Iron Rose posted:

Also I'd advise against upgrading health ever.

Ever.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I personally don't really agree with getting no health upgrades even later on the game you can die in 2-3 hits to the high level orcs if they have the buffed up attack/poison or whatever kind of effects that screw you up.

To guarantee you'll run into "that one goddamn orc that won't die" is to finish them off in ways that aren't the combat execution(your Y+B on Xbox or your Triangle+Circle if you're on Playstation) because that particular execution will more than likely behead them which is the only way to ensure somebody stays down for good.

Other than that try to get creative with your kills to see the various ways dudes will change, if you brand them a lot the side of their face gets hosed up, if you grabbed them and shanked them alot they will have scars near their kidneys and etc. My personal favorite is throwing them off of a ledge and running into the same guy later for him to say "That fall couldn't kill me, let's see if it works on you!"

If you can think of a way to interact with somebody there is most likely some dialog for it that you will see the next time you run into your buddy,so have fun!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I personally don't really agree with getting no health upgrades even later on the game you can die in 2-3 hits to the high level orcs if they have the buffed up attack/poison or whatever kind of effects that screw you up.

That's pretty much the only way you can die because you're generally a walking God of death by that point, and not upgrading health forces you to try different approaches based on their strengths and weaknesses(or just be good).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anything I should know for The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing I?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've been replaying the original Digimon World because I re-read OFS's LP, and while I personally feel like running around and figuring poo poo out is half the fun, there's a couple things that really help with having the groundwork for that.

- If you answer no to the first question, you'll get Agumon as your starter. If you answer yes, you'll get Gabumon. Agumon is a bit easier for a starting player, if it matters.
- Talk to everyone in the town before you leave, and again every so often. It's usually useless, but sometimes, it sets off a flag for a quest, or gives you items.
- The only place you can sleep is inside the starting house, and you have to use the menu option. Using the chair is really just a free (but slow) heal.
- Try to always remember where the nearest toilet is.
- Press triangle while in battle to throw healing/MP items at your monster. This is crucial pretty much constantly.
- Your first order of business should be upgrading the meat farm and opening the item shop. If you're lucky or experienced, you can do both on the first day, but it's alright if it takes you a couple days.
- Opening the item shop: There's a coastline a couple screens from the start. (Specific directions: From Jijimon's house, go South, West, South, Southeast, East) In the later afternoon, there's a shadow in the water. Talk to it, then go back around the newly-opened bridge and talk to it again. It will open the item shop, where you can now get healing items.
- Upgrading the meat farm: In the southern part of the starting plains (Specific directions: From Jijimon's house, South, West, South, South) is a 'flower'. Talk to it until it fights you. This is the first 'boss battle', so make sure your monster is healed up and you're stocked on items. Beat it, and from the next day on, the farm will give you Giant Meat instead of regular meat. This is more filling, and increases your monster's weight more efficiently.
- Once those are done, you have a bit more freedom to explore, since you have better free food and a consistent source of healing items. Good places are the starting area, the cave in the west, and once you're a bit more confident/stocked up, across the east bridge.
- At the end of day 3 or 4, your Rookie will evolve into a Champion. Try to be somewhere near 30 weight when that happens, or you're very likely to get Numemon, who is utterly awful.
- Sometime around day 10-13(ish), your Champion will either evolve again, if it meets the prereqs for an Ultimate, or keel over if it doesn't. Don't feel bad if your first Champion dies, it happens to everyone.
- Despite appearances, it's impossible to permanently screw yourself over. Worst case scenario, your monster dies and you have to raise a new one, but your town improvements will remain.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 8, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

paco650 posted:

Return is the move for physical normal 'mons and physical 'mons with -ate abilities. A thing about those abilities is that they boost the move's power by 1/3 for free, so a Mega Pinsir's Return is catastrophic.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 141-166 (39.8 - 46.8%)

I mean, it's a good thing for a physical wall with absolutely maximum physical defense investment to take 2/5 of its health from a physical attack, right?

Then you have things like Mega Lopunny where nothing but the staunchest toughest dudes want to take its Returns, and Diggersby having attack scores well over 400 with a STAB Return. It's slightly harder-hitting than Earthquake, for pete's sake.

Frustration also maxes out at 102 power. Its only tactical application is using it when you'd use Return anyway, but you want to try to screw over Ditto through technicality as Transform doesn't copy happiness. For regular use in-game then Return is all you need as the things you'd do anyway like level up and run around increase happiness.

Poison Mushroom posted:

- The only place you can sleep is inside the starting house, and you have to use the menu option. Using the chair is really just a free (but slow) heal.

Sleeping can be done anywhere but only when the Digimon's active hours are up and it is its bed time. Resting can only be done in the chair at Jijimon's house or at the Clinic, once its open. Resting is good for restoring fatigue before the active hours are up, something that hits when trying to train all day.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Sleeping can be done anywhere but only when the Digimon's active hours are up and it is its bed time. Resting can only be done in the chair at Jijimon's house or at the Clinic, once its open. Resting is good for restoring fatigue before the active hours are up, something that hits when trying to train all day.
This is kind of like making a rules mistake in Magic and getting corrected by the national champion. Hi, OFS! I got a MetalGreymon! And I have no access to Mech techs! :shepicide:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Poison Mushroom posted:

This is kind of like making a rules mistake in Magic and getting corrected by the national champion. Hi, OFS! I got a MetalGreymon! And I have no access to Mech techs! :shepicide:

It shouldn't be too hard to do the Whamon thing, just a bit tedious if you've got jack but Metal Sprinter. MetalGreymon's stat requirements are so high you're going to be tough enough to clear that to get access to Factorial Town and thus All-Range Beam. You've got a 9% chance of getting Megaton Punch after a battle, if all else fails.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Forza Horizon seems pretty straight forward. Is the map I'm in at the start all there is in the game? Any tips or stuff that's easy to miss?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It might also be good to mention that the "save battle data for arena" thing in Jijimon's House also actually saves your game for reals. I had no idea of this as a kid so i'd play for much much longer than i ever wanted to because i thought having your Digimon sleep was the only way to do it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What should I know about Assassin's Creed: Unity?

I'm aware of the game's quality issues, I'm only looking for tips on the game itself :). I'm not used to having to level up and improve my gear in assassin's creed games, so this one's got a bit of a different feel.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It might have been mentioned before but anything for Suikoden? I just got it on my Vita.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

KingSlime posted:

It might have been mentioned before but anything for Suikoden? I just got it on my Vita.

I don't remember anything specifically, but it's probably best to use a spoiler free guide for the 108 Stars of Destiny. There are some surprising ones from a story perspective, unfortunately, but it's generally pretty hard to get them all without a guide. If I recall, Muse is one who has a really, really narrow window of recruitment, and he needs certain other stars to actually be recruited.

Pahn is going to be in a mandatory solo fight, so use him until this fight. It's not hard since Pahn is actually pretty good.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Cool thanks for the tips, is it a big deal if I don't feel like getting all 108 stars and just want to play through to the end?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

KingSlime posted:

Cool thanks for the tips, is it a big deal if I don't feel like getting all 108 stars and just want to play through to the end?

Not at all. You might miss out on a few useful upgrades for your stronghold but Suikoden is a pretty simple RPG unless you want to dive into the huge list of characters.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
There is a dice game in one of the first villages where you can save scum and make loads of money if you're patient

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Anything for Shin Megami Tensei 4?

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Does anyone have any helpful tips for King's Bounty: The Legend?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Anything for the evil within?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zaggitz posted:

Anything for Shin Megami Tensei 4?

Here's what I said last time someone asked. Context: they had played Persona 3 and 4 before.

quote:

If you already know the value of buffs and debuffs you're already mostly set. The other thing to know is the press turn system. The Persona games didn't really punish you for flinging a Maragi to hit the one fire-weak enemy while the other three nulled it, but in SMT4 it'll cut the stuff you get to do before the enemy murders you in half. The enemies can also wipe your party if they can probe a weakness successfully, sometimes.

Focus on either physicals or magical attacks on the MC, since you control his levels. +1 luck and +1 agility every level so you don't miss, dodge some, and aren't a sitting duck for statuses and instant kills, and have a good smirk rate. Then +3 magic for a spellcasting MC or +3 dex for physicals, since physical skills are more influenced by dex than str. Don't be afraid to dress in rainbow pimp gear.

Besides the obvious extra skill slots and stock apps, purchase the Scout-related apps until you get Scout+. Getting an extra demon each recruitment gets you a lot of fusion fodder and effectively halves the cost of scouting.

The MP Recovery Apps are also useful as passive MP regeneration makes dungeon crawling significantly easier. Nearly every boss has an elemental weakness to exploit, and quite a few of the minibosses aren't immune to instant death. The MC dying doesn't cause a game over instantly like in P3/4 but you also are going to be really hurting without him. Can't think of much else at the moment that beating P3 or 4 wouldn't have already told you.

If you haven't played an SMT game before then there are a lot of fundamentals to go through. Buff skills (~kaja) and debuff skills (~nda) are really, really useful for bosses. A few levels of rakukaja and tarunda to make the boss not hit as hard, and some sukukaja and sukunda to make them miss will mean you don't get wiped the hell out. Tarukaja/Rakunda to kill the boss faster is sort of secondary to not dying.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Drashin posted:

Does anyone have any helpful tips for King's Bounty: The Legend?
The most important thing in any King's Bounty thing is to minimize casualties so you can keep fighting. The best way to do this is having troops that can summon, resurrect, or both. Demonologists are one of the few that can do both and are amazing. The spawns are random, though, so you'll have to adapt to whatever the game decides to roll for you.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

theshim posted:

The most important thing in any King's Bounty thing is to minimize casualties so you can keep fighting. The best way to do this is having troops that can summon, resurrect, or both. Demonologists are one of the few that can do both and are amazing. The spawns are random, though, so you'll have to adapt to whatever the game decides to roll for you.

Barring that, you can always have a stack of some infinite spawning unit, then use Sacrifice in the middle of battle to regrow your important stacks. If you're a Mage, you can also Mind Control something, THEN Sacrifice it.

Edit: Also I don't think The Legend has demonologists.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

KingSlime posted:

Be very careful when you're doing the rock-paper-scissors military battles. There is perma death involved.

Party members that are lower leveled get bonus xp (a lot I might add) and will catch up quickly. The game wants you to experiment.

Stick with it. Its sequel is drat good and I like how they incorporate a good deal of the cast from the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

A thousand people have already replied but I'll also add do the story missions first, then side quests. You don't get your final power until literally 3 missions away from the end. Also once you beat it it seems like the orcs that spawn in are a higher level. In the second area all the orcs that would spawn on the bottom would be minimum lvl 15. And don't worry about being overpowered, a lvl 20 poison hard hitter chief will 2 or 3 shot you even maxed out, and you can finangle yourself all the to bodyguard one chieftan for the ultimate 10 FPS rumble.

OxMan fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 15, 2014