Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah upgrade batmobile combat as much as you can so that it is over faster because once you've done one encounter the novelty wears off fast and there are very many to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Ekster posted:

Start Origins, go to My Games, click on Mass Effect 2 then click on the 'i' icon for information. If you scroll down it shows what DLCs you already own.

As far as I know it's impossible to buy DLCs you already own through Origin.

I have it on PS3. Got it used from Gamestop so as not to give EA more than I have to.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

I have it on PS3. Got it used from Gamestop so as not to give EA more than I have to.

Clicking Downloadable Content in the main menu should tell you which are already installed.

Arrival is cool since it explains the opening of ME3 a little better. All the guns and skins are fluff but hey whatever floats your boat; most of the guns come back in ME3, gimmicks and all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

paco650 posted:

Clicking Downloadable Content in the main menu should tell you which are already installed.

Arrival is cool since it explains the opening of ME3 a little better. All the guns and skins are fluff but hey whatever floats your boat; most of the guns come back in ME3, gimmicks and all.

I think the ME2 gun DLC is worth it; the arsenal in that game is a little light (compared to 3 at least), having a little more to play with is neat. The armor DLC is skippable but at least the guns play differently, which is cool if you're sick of the vanilla stuff.

It's by no means necessary of course, but if you have DLC money lying around, there's no reason not to get it in my opinion. Buy mission/companion DLC first, but if you still have money to burn afterward, the guns are neat.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I beat 1 and 2 back before 3 existed so I figured since 2 seems to have the story dlc included I might as well play Pretty Shepard dress up space game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I spent all of ME2 in the big black ominious Terminus Armor intimidating everyone with the flashing red speech light while still doing (mostly) Paragon things :awesomelon:.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nothing like seeing your beloved space harem plant a big wet one on your slimy mouthless Collector face.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

juliuspringle posted:

If you got it used you might be missing the Cerberus Network DLC (contains Zaeed and a few other throwaway missions) since that was an "anti-used game" dlc. Double check your DLC menu though. All I know for sure is that on my digital copy of the PS3 trilogy, Cerberus Network was a separate download.

Also if any of the gun DLC in 2 is worth it it's the Firepower Pack. The Mattock as it is in 2 is the most obscene overpowered weapon in the franchise if you're a Soldier.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

If you got it used you might be missing the Cerberus Network DLC (contains Zaeed and a few other throwaway missions) since that was an "anti-used game" dlc. Double check your DLC menu though. All I know for sure is that on my digital copy of the PS3 trilogy, Cerberus Network was a separate download.

Also if any of the gun DLC in 2 is worth it it's the Firepower Pack. The Mattock as it is in 2 is the most obscene overpowered weapon in the franchise if you're a Soldier.

The Cerberus Network is a free download on PSN these days.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Any tips for King's Bounty: Crossworlds?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Agnostalgia posted:

Any tips for King's Bounty: Crossworlds?
It's all about minimizing casualties, more than anything else. Units that can summon or revive others are the best, by this logic. Some examples include Royal Thorns and Demonologists. Of course, spawns are mostly random, so you may not be able to get them, but I'm pretty sure there's at least a few guaranteed Royal Thorns on the first island. Also, Royal Snakes are a super good early unit.

Also, the Adrenaline system that Orc units use is pretty badly busted in the computer's favor - your Orc units typically start battles with 0 Adrenaline, which they need to use their fairly powerful abilities, but AI Orcs start with a hefty chunk and can often drop a few debilitating hits on your forces, so always try to substantially overpower Orcs when fighting them.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I'm about 2 hours into Final Fantasy Type-0 (HD) anything I should know?

Demicol fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 4, 2015

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I just bought Disgaea 4 (Vita) with the Summer Sale, any tips for this one?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I've started playing the Wither 3. When's a good time to download the free DLCs and start using them?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

PriorMarcus posted:

I've started playing the Wither 3. When's a good time to download the free DLCs and start using them?

As far as I know there's no real reason not to download them all from the start if you want them, they're integrated into the game rather than thrown at you in the beginning. You can also enable or disable stuff like the alternate costumes from the main menu.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

the earliest dlc armors and weapons get put in the first merchant's inventory in white orchard so you can use those from the start.
I never found the other ones they go to some merchant somewhere else i guess so you'll be level appropriate by the time your find them (and even if you aren't you can up the difficulty to rebalance things)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Real hurthling! posted:

the earliest dlc armors and weapons get put in the first merchant's inventory in white orchard so you can use those from the start.
I never found the other ones they go to some merchant somewhere else i guess so you'll be level appropriate by the time your find them (and even if you aren't you can up the difficulty to rebalance things)

The Temerian Armor set can be bought from the merchant in the first town but the other two are from merchants later on (namely Velen and Skellige) and do have level requirements. I think there are two different versions of each set depending on what level you are as well, one for low and one for high levels. None of them are massively overpowered compared to the base game stuff.

Also to my knowledge there are no purchasable DLC weapons except for the crossbows and they also have level requirements, the ones added in the other DLCs you'll have to find and craft.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I'm planning on booting up E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy for the first time tonight. I read the wiki entry on it, but is there anything else I need to know? It seems like a pretty non-intuitive and complex game system.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I'm planning on booting up E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy for the first time tonight. I read the wiki entry on it, but is there anything else I need to know? It seems like a pretty non-intuitive and complex game system.
With that username you'll be right at home.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

A lot of the systems seem super complicated but are actually simple and/or pointless. Treat it like a simple shooter at first and set the difficulty low if you need it, then poke around the other skills at your own pace. It's not as complicated as its insane presentation makes it out to be.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Just go with it. The game will do weird poo poo and you need to just be like "okay sure whatever, time to shoot stuff".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mayor McCheese posted:

I just bought Disgaea 4 (Vita) with the Summer Sale, any tips for this one?

How much Disgaea-ing have you done before?

Anyway, the level curve in this one is kind of brutal if you don't go take item world breaks or grind out levels on one of the really good grinding maps. 5-2, named "Lost Dignity" is the first really good one.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

How much Disgaea-ing have you done before?

Anyway, the level curve in this one is kind of brutal if you don't go take item world breaks or grind out levels on one of the really good grinding maps. 5-2, named "Lost Dignity" is the first really good one.

Sorry, I should have clarified. The first game I played a lot and Phantom Brave. I read they added a poo poo-ton of weird systems in place like pirates and nuked/reworked a lot of things, like the Majin class.

Should I bother with leveling monsters? Are there any classes that I should avoid? Where should I grind?

Things like that are what I'm leaning towards.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I see there's some tips for SaGa Frontier 1, but not SaGa Frontier 2. Anything I need to know before going in? Besides the fact that it's a SaGa game so I'll likely end up consulting a guide at some point anyway?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I made a little album for you. The pictures are worth about 1000 words each, which is good because I don't want to type them all. You're right though, the game is crazy convoluted but becomes very fun very fast when you simply let go of trying to make sense of things.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Anything in particular for Dragon Age - Awakenings? I'm familiar with Origins, I just haven't played the DLC before.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

MockingQuantum posted:

I see there's some tips for SaGa Frontier 1, but not SaGa Frontier 2. Anything I need to know before going in? Besides the fact that it's a SaGa game so I'll likely end up consulting a guide at some point anyway?

Consult a guide for some stuff, the story is pretty good but the gameplay can be counter intuitive at parts and it isn't always worth the headache.

If you get in a one on one fight with a monster, and your character has a sword, charge-charge-charge-cleave until you learn bear crush. Makes fights a lot easier, and you can usually pick it up in duels fairly early.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MockingQuantum posted:

Grab a guide for the duel combat mode because it's a great way to game the system and try to force tech sparks. Basically, you put in four "attack type" commands--swing, slash, stab, block, whatever--in sequence, and certain sequences correspond to certain techs. You can even learn top-tier attacks like this, so definitely grab a guide that tells you which combos teach which abilities. Some of them will even make note of "hey this particular encounter has a high Battle Rank so you should try and savescum it until you unlock <good tech>."

And believe you me, you really want those good techs.

Also good to know: if you use a particular tech a lot, you'll eventually master it and you can equip it to any character you like. Time & Tide for everyone!

e: It occurs to me that it was kind of dick of me to just cut you loose and make you dumpster dive Google :v: http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/saga2/techs.shtml

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 6, 2015

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

paco650 posted:

I made a little album for you. The pictures are worth about 1000 words each, which is good because I don't want to type them all. You're right though, the game is crazy convoluted but becomes very fun very fast when you simply let go of trying to make sense of things.

these are awesome

additionally

silenced sniper will pretty much take you through the game
blocking with the sword will block bullets
you will never be high enough to truly understand the game 100%

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mayor McCheese posted:

Should I bother with leveling monsters? Are there any classes that I should avoid? Where should I grind?

Well the game explains a lot of its own systems so you won't be in the dark in that sense about magichange and fusions.

Mana is really important now, since besides passing bills it's also used to learn and boost new skills and pick up Evilities. As soon as you can handle the Item World consistently do try to get a Manager up to 300 ASAP.

You should level monsters, especially if that monster is Desco, because Desco is borked. She's too strong. The game can't handle her. And you should work on a Nekomata or a Phantom Beast because they magichnage into fists, and you need a fused magichange fist for Big Bang to one-shot Mt. Ordeals 4. If you're going to shoot for the highest power level, anyway. A lot of monsters are good actually. Pick ones out you like and work with 'em. Big props to the Alraunes for having Braveheart and other buff spells.

None of the classes in this game are abjectly bad in the way Disgaea 1 had bad classes.

Here's the Evil Symbol guide since some of those unlock conditions are obscure. The leader of a symbol gets stat boosts from the members so you can prop someone up by having cool dudes hang out. The training ground and aura pyramid are indescribably useful for grinding up units without actually having those wimps fight. The Discipline Room is mandatory for getting to the super-postgame zone Land of Carnage and for duplicating items via Puppy Paw Stick.

Here's a block of text from GameFAQs about unlocking generics.

code:
Archer	Healer and Valkyrie level 15
Armor Knight	Warrior level 20
Battle Suit	Warrior and Armor Knight level 30 and clear Episode 8
Beast Master	Warrior and Valkyrie level 20
Bouncer	Clear Episode 7 or Armor Knight level 100
Gunner	Thief and Skull level 15
Lady Samurai	Valkyrie and Archer level 30
Magic Knight	Warrior or Valkyrie and Mage or Skull level 30
Masked Hero	Thief and Warrior level 25
Ninja	Thief and Skull level 30
Onmyo Monk	Sorcerer and Ninja level 30
Professor	Healer and Onmyo Monk level 20
Sorcerer	Skull and Witch level 15
Also noteworthy is getting the Star Mage/Skull requires the fire/ice/wind duders at a sum level of 50. Star magic is still ridiculously useful in this game. Thieves are important for stealing since you can't buy things past rank 30 and only find them in enemy inventories and bonus lists. Create Box/Barrel can be used to grind up bonus ranks as long as your Thief's SP holds out and the enemies don't all die.

3-2, 5-2, 9-4, and Ordeals 4 are the big grinding spots, especially if you manage stronger enemy bills correctly. For weird math reasons EXP rewards drop past level 100 and only pick back up at 321. 5-2 and 9-4 change layouts after the first clear to be grinding spots, btw.

Generics double the base reincarnation mana cost each time, capping at 999,999 per. Story characters stay at 100 and gain 5% to their aptitudes for the first five reincarnations.

Always take mystery rooms in the item world because you can find weird and interesting things. Never talk to anyone in a mystery room more than once unless you want to fight.

There's a lot more but I'm not sure how much you'd get without context. I mean name-dropping Reverse Pirating probably just confuses at this point.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Whoops. Missed the Elder Scrolls megathread. Moving over there.

GoingPostal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 6, 2015

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for this! Also holy poo poo there's a lot of words I didn't understand but will probably encounter at some point ingame.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

PriorMarcus posted:

To add on to what everyone else said, the armors off vendors can be a good upgrade until you complete the Witcher gear side quests. Crafted Witcher gear, as far as I've seen, is ALWAYS better than anything else you can find, up until you're at a threshold for a new set of Witcher gear. Three of the DLC are just cosmetic for the 3 main women in the cast, but they're all nicely done and not fanservice garbage. The extra contracts and missions all have levels on them, and in this game you don't want to be doing stuff too high above you because it will murder you. The final DLC that was released isn't actually DLC, and is just New Game +. The Season Pass also doesn't add anything.

The Witcher 3 is DLC done right.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I bought Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate since I enjoy this crossover business well enough to play it. I've already gotten a couple of things sorted out and am having a blast, so I figure I can give a few tips for whatever that's worth for this kind of game so that people don't repeat the same stuff I did and waste their time.

-There's four types of character this time around rather than just three: Power, Technique, Speed, and the new type Wonder. Power type characters still get super armor while attacking, but they can't withstand certain types of attacks at all, such as grab attacks. Technique type characters can now do a sidestep by pressing Jump while strafing and get bonus damage when they hit airborne enemies with Charge attacks. Speed type characters still have the same stuff as always; that is, they can do an air dash and cancel their own attacks by jumping in both situations. Wonder type characters can knock an enemy off-balance by pressing jump after landing an attack (uses Musou) and also gets bonus damage on off-balance enemies.

-Everyone can duck out of being attacked by pressing the Special attack button to counter, whether they're in the air or on the ground. It's the same animation as if they did it normally, but who cares, you're using it as a "get off" attack.

-Instead of completing missions for skills per character like in the previous two games, each one only has one skill to start with and has to be promoted for the first time to get a second one. Having a good team that can complement each other is a good idea if you plan on playing on Hard or Chaos later on, but I wouldn't worry so much since I'm sure you'll know enough about how things work so that skill can compensate for a "poor" team. Just pick whoever you like, really.

-There are bonds in this game. By doing a bunch of various things, you can make fellow officers give more of a drat about each other, which will lead to them coming in the save you with an assist if you're hit while they're on your team, give you a buff after said assist, and hand you a weapon after the battle if they're not on your team for that battle but they're present on the field. You can raise it through parties, but you can't use them to bypass the checks at the first and second section of their meter. For that, you must participate in a fight with them. Keep in mind that one method of bond raising is doing missions. If you succeed, you get 80 points; fail, you lose 40. Yes, you can be booted back down to the previous section if you keep messing up. They get harder as the bond gets stronger, but the difficulty of the mission depends on the active character at the camp, so you can use that to your advantage.

-Some side battles during the story can be locked out unless you raise the appropriate bonds for who they're asking. There's sometimes another requirement, like having a certain person already recruited that may or may not necessarily be part of that battle in person. It's not too big of a deal as long as you use those parties.

-Weapons, instead of you having fuse others into yours to raise their base attack, can now get stronger just from playing as a compatibility bonus. Depending on the star rating, it can go from +7 on a 1-star to +18 on a 4-star. Big star weapons have a rather low base attack, but can have a pretty high compatibility bonus, making them really good if you're willing to put the time into them.

-DW characters have a giant "gently caress off" attack as their Musou which only uses a section of their meter. SW characters have the same poo poo as always; hold the button to do their attack or let go and use the increased attack speed and invincibility until the meter runs dry. This means that DW can still use Special attacks once they use their Musou, but SW can't, so mind when you use it. If they're in the red or next to someone they've got a strong bond with, they hit harder, and the SW characters get a strong finisher instead of the usual shockwave burst with a pose. Guest and original characters follow either of these two types.

-Don't bother with Gauntlet Mode unless you've beaten the main story or have a strong starting team. We're talking making sure the five you're starting with are at least level 50 before starting in earnest. Since the nature of the mode is "find exit that's randomly placed," you can push your luck and try it with a weaker set, but you will be forced into fights at certain points with about five officers on your rear end at once, and if you spend too much time, you risk the enemies getting stronger and being able to one-shot you.

-The benefits for promoting a character are better than if you don't because you don't want to start at level 1 again. With the extra stats you'll be pumping in and the extra item slots, you'll be glad you did with your favorite/best character. You can promote up to 9 times and basically be un-killable unless you horrendously gently caress up or spend too long in a Gauntlet Mode stage.

-With Gauntlet Mode, you'll be able to make Ultimate weapons with the materials you'll find. Get the ones for your best character and you'll be set since they have a ridiculously high compatibility bonus at +99.

-If your commander/person who needs to stay alive is about to eat poo poo (if the game says they're on the verge of defeat), you better haul rear end to go save them. You should already be on your way to help once you see them struggling. Keep in mind that the higher the difficulty, the more HP every AI character gets, so sometimes it might be better to roll with a higher difficulty than a lower one. All depends on circumstance and your own strength/skills.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but those are some of the more important things to know.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I'm getting close to the point where I've put in too much time to restart. Without mentioning 3 because I've never played it yet, what are some things to know for Mass Effect 2, especially as compared to the first Mass Effect. For instance, soldiers don't seem as good in 2 as they were in 1.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

1. Play Vanguard on Insanity, the only way to roll.
2. Use gibbed Mass Effect editor to give yourself 99999 of every mineral to skip the planet scanning minigame. You can even change your Shepard's class! (to Vanguard)
3. The game kind of favors going all Paragon or all Renegade for some important late game speech checks.
4. There is a mission late in the game called Reaper IFF. Don't do this mission until you've seen pretty much all there is to see because it starts a two mission countdown to the point of no return. If you don't do the Point of No Return right away, Bad Things Happen.
5. Remember to upgrade your ship and chat with squadmates in between missions to do their loyalties.
6. Paragon/Renegade interrupts are amusing but sometimes it's better to just let the scenes play out, your call though.
7. Try to get at least the Shadow Broker, Kasumi, and Zaaed DLC if you haven't already. Overlord is cool too. Arrival is,okay but skippable in my opinion, do it after the main campaign for maximum continuity. Get Kasumi right away, she kicks rear end and so does the SMG you get in her mission.

Beyond that, enjoy. Mass Effect 2 owns.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

juliuspringle posted:

I'm getting close to the point where I've put in too much time to restart. Without mentioning 3 because I've never played it yet, what are some things to know for Mass Effect 2, especially as compared to the first Mass Effect. For instance, soldiers don't seem as good in 2 as they were in 1.

Seriously, go Vanguard in ME2. It's easily the most fun class to play.

The "loyalties" exquisite tea mentioned are special missions for each of your squadmates. Don't neglect them. If you embark on the (super obvious, you'll know it when you see it) last mission with some loose ends dangling, expect bad things to happen to some of your crewmembers.

Pick an alignment and stick with it. If you don't like the red poo poo on your face from being a Renegade, there's a nonessential ship upgrade that will fix it (don't, though, because Terminatorshep is badass ok)

There will come a time in the late game when you are asked to pick who you want to go do certain things. Take a minute to think before assigning the jobs.

Oh, and I hope you like Steve Blum.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

paco650 posted:

Really loving helpful, thanks! My only remaining question is: Is this game too fast paced or complex to play while baked out of my gourd? This is important tia.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Really loving helpful, thanks! My only remaining question is: Is this game too fast paced or complex to play while baked out of my gourd? This is important tia.

It might be. I went in expecting it to be like Deus Ex, with small groups of enemies which you would deal with slowly and carefully, where it's actually quite hectic waves of enemies constantly spawn and attack you from all directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Can anyone give me some stating guidance for STALKER: Call of Pripyat?

People tell me it's a great game but I'm finding it kind of impenetrable. There are just a few general tips in the BIP wiki.

Savescum like a motherfucker, try lots of different things. Explore around and embrace the :darksouls: of it all. You're gonna die a few times before you get your bearings.

paco650 posted:

:wtc: