Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Without spoiling anything can someone tell me what's changed gameplay wise in Fallout 4 from New Vegas and 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

juliuspringle posted:

Without spoiling anything can someone tell me what's changed gameplay wise in Fallout 4 from New Vegas and 3?

You can build settlements which brings in junk that you can use to craft mods for your weapons or stuff for your armor. Vats only slows down stuff and doesn't pause combat completely. Your level up boosts aren't based on stats anymore, but rather perks. But crafting is the major addition. Also, weapons and armor don't degrade and no longer have to be repaired.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Also combat is actually good and the gunfeel is really quite fantastic.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Melee is remarkably viable, especially if you take the perk in the Agility tree that lets you dash to targets in VATS from range.
In fact, really every type of weapon is viable, especially if you don't neglect your crafting skills.
If you don't feel like dealing with Strongholds, you don't HAVE to.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

juliuspringle posted:

Well one of the big changes is the removal of the 1-100 skills in favor of a progression system tied directly to the perks themselves, which are unlocked by a combination of player level and SPECIAL stat level. Now when you level up, you get a single perk point like in Skyrim which you can invest into an unlocked perk of your choice.

They've also removed the weapon durability and repair system, as well as the Damage Threshold stat from New Vegas.

Other changes from New Vegas include the removal of specialized ammunition (except for one unique weapon AFAIK), a simplified faction system (meaning there isn't really much of a system now), and a much more fleshed out weapon and armor modification system. There is no hardcore mode, and Stimpacks have been changed from instant heal to a relatively quick heal.

The game now features sprint and dedicated grenade throwing functions. VATS no longer pauses the game, instead it slows it down by about 90%. Critical hits are no longer random--you now build up to a critical hit which you can save and then trigger in VATS when you've dealt enough damage to enemies.

Power armor now works more like a suit of armor that you climb into--it takes its own damage, consumes a kind of fuel, and confers a lot of cool benefits onto the player if they can keep it fueled. It also has some unique upgrades that expand its functionality. There's a few different types.

Radiation has been overhauled so that as you gain rads, your maximum health drops instead of your character just getting radiation sickness at a certain threshold. RadAway mitigates this. There's also radiation damage now, which can be extremely harmful to humans but non-damaging to robots.

There's a much bigger emphasis on crafting, and pretty much every object in the world that you can pick up is made out of components for use in crafting at workbenches. You can also build settlements and attract people to populate them.

The dialogue system is more Mass Effect-y and presents you with 4 speech choices, the themes of which are usually nice/positive, mean/negative, sarcastic, and curious for more information. There are no skill checks in dialogue outside Charisma and its associated perks as far as I know. There is no unique dialogue for unintelligent characters. Karma is out, as is Ron Perlman for the most part.

Companions are more fleshed out than they have been in the past. They now have their own quests, and can approve or disapprove of actions the player takes over the course of the game. Some companions don't like it when you steal, others like it when you do drugs, some are a dog and love you no matter what because they're a good boy yes they are, etc. You can romance many of them.

That's just the stuff off the top of my head.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Anything for Resident Evil Zero?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Phetz posted:

It sounds like a lot of the stuff that I liked has been removed. Is it actually good?

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

It sounds like a lot of the stuff that I liked has been removed. Is it actually good?

I'd say the basic loop of explore-fight-loot feels better than either 3 or NV but feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back compared to NV specifically. Combat feels a LOT better, companions are more reactive to your actions, there's more enemy variety, the crafting is great and the settlement building/management can be fun if you like Minecraft or that kind of thing, but I thought the story was pretty silly, the perks really bland, the dialogue system disappointingly flat and the settlement building not all that impactful on gameplay besides giving you a place to store all your loot and off-duty companions.

Mostly I was really disappointed about the lack of potential for roleplaying and gimmicky builds. In NV you could be a smooth-talking lone ranger who only uses revolvers and dynamite, a loveable, punchy dullard working with the NCR, or a psycho nerd who's always on chems and melts people with plasma for the glory of Caesar. In Fallout 4 you can be a nice guy who does quests for some folks or a mean guy who does quests for some other folks, and the perk builds are going to play very similarly, and you'll eventually get good at everything so it's all just a matter of what you want to unlock first. The roleplaying just feels really shallow in comparison.

That said, the world is fun to explore, fights feel so much better, some of the characters are colorful and interesting, and I just like being able to run around an open world shooting dudes with berserk darts, and maybe build a shack for my butler robot. I'd still recommend it but maybe wait for the GOTY if you're not chomping at the bit to play it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Phetz posted:

Mostly I was really disappointed about the lack of potential for roleplaying and gimmicky builds. In NV you could be a smooth-talking lone ranger who only uses revolvers and dynamite, a loveable, punchy dullard working with the NCR, or a psycho nerd who's always on chems and melts people with plasma for the glory of Caesar. In Fallout 4 you can be a nice guy who does quests for some folks or a mean guy who does quests for some other folks, and the perk builds are going to play very similarly, and you'll eventually get good at everything so it's all just a matter of what you want to unlock first. The roleplaying just feels really shallow in comparison.

All those builds are easily doable in FO4 though? Almost every perk from FO3/NV is still present in 4. I mean, you're right about the factions system and story/mission structure being way worse than New Vegas, but in my mind the perk based character system is a massive improvement. When I leveled up in FO3/NV adding points to those numbers always felt like a bit of a waste of time, since it was never clear what +5 points in Small Guns actually did and why I should care about it, in FO4 if I want to get better at guns I take one of the perks which clearly explains how it improves gunplay.

The rest of your post is spot on though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phetz posted:

I'd say the basic loop of explore-fight-loot feels better than either 3 or NV but feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back compared to NV specifically. Combat feels a LOT better, companions are more reactive to your actions, there's more enemy variety, the crafting is great and the settlement building/management can be fun if you like Minecraft or that kind of thing, but I thought the story was pretty silly, the perks really bland, the dialogue system disappointingly flat and the settlement building not all that impactful on gameplay besides giving you a place to store all your loot and off-duty companions.

That said, the world is fun to explore, fights feel so much better, some of the characters are colorful and interesting, and I just like being able to run around an open world shooting dudes with berserk darts, and maybe build a shack for my butler robot. I'd still recommend it but maybe wait for the GOTY if you're not chomping at the bit to play it.

The real nuisance is that the story is largely built on assuming the PC is a good and noble person. Instead of the murderous cannibalistic raider constantly high on Psycho you really are.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Gerblyn posted:

All those builds are easily doable in FO4 though? Almost every perk from FO3/NV is still present in 4. I mean, you're right about the factions system and story/mission structure being way worse than New Vegas, but in my mind the perk based character system is a massive improvement. When I leveled up in FO3/NV adding points to those numbers always felt like a bit of a waste of time, since it was never clear what +5 points in Small Guns actually did and why I should care about it, in FO4 if I want to get better at guns I take one of the perks which clearly explains how it improves gunplay.

The rest of your post is spot on though.

Specifically (well unspecifically) I was referring to the perks like Shotgun Surgeon, Cowboy, Pyromaniac and Grunt, which gave you bonuses if you used specific equipment, which in turn helped you give your character a different "theme." I haven't found everything in the game yet so I'm not sure if Fallout 4 gives you perks like these by exploring or whatever. Sure the bonuses didn't necessarily translate into a huge change in gameplay, but I thought they added lots of flavor to the perk selection and helped you build a character into something fairly unique--especially given how intricately the factions were designed. In addition to those, Fallout 4 also misses out on cool perks like Hand Loader and Vigilant Recycler since they got rid of the alternate ammo system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also glad that they replaced the skill system with the perks--I just wish they would have kept some of the interesting and specializing ones in there instead of having multiple tiers of "+X% damage for all pistols."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The real nuisance is that the story is largely built on assuming the PC is a good and noble person. Instead of the murderous cannibalistic raider constantly high on Psycho you really are.

Also this :unsmigghh:

Phetz fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 20, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Anything for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen besides what is in the wiki? Also, I'm not sure how much it's changed since the wiki entry was created.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Phetz posted:

Well one of the big changes is the removal of the 1-100 skills in favor of a progression system tied directly to the perks themselves, which are unlocked by a combination of player level and SPECIAL stat level. Now when you level up, you get a single perk point like in Skyrim which you can invest into an unlocked perk of your choice.

They've also removed the weapon durability and repair system, as well as the Damage Threshold stat from New Vegas.

Other changes from New Vegas include the removal of specialized ammunition (except for one unique weapon AFAIK), a simplified faction system (meaning there isn't really much of a system now), and a much more fleshed out weapon and armor modification system. There is no hardcore mode, and Stimpacks have been changed from instant heal to a relatively quick heal.

The game now features sprint and dedicated grenade throwing functions. VATS no longer pauses the game, instead it slows it down by about 90%. Critical hits are no longer random--you now build up to a critical hit which you can save and then trigger in VATS when you've dealt enough damage to enemies.

Power armor now works more like a suit of armor that you climb into--it takes its own damage, consumes a kind of fuel, and confers a lot of cool benefits onto the player if they can keep it fueled. It also has some unique upgrades that expand its functionality. There's a few different types.

Radiation has been overhauled so that as you gain rads, your maximum health drops instead of your character just getting radiation sickness at a certain threshold. RadAway mitigates this. There's also radiation damage now, which can be extremely harmful to humans but non-damaging to robots.

There's a much bigger emphasis on crafting, and pretty much every object in the world that you can pick up is made out of components for use in crafting at workbenches. You can also build settlements and attract people to populate them.

The dialogue system is more Mass Effect-y and presents you with 4 speech choices, the themes of which are usually nice/positive, mean/negative, sarcastic, and curious for more information. There are no skill checks in dialogue outside Charisma and its associated perks as far as I know. There is no unique dialogue for unintelligent characters. Karma is out, as is Ron Perlman for the most part.

Companions are more fleshed out than they have been in the past. They now have their own quests, and can approve or disapprove of actions the player takes over the course of the game. Some companions don't like it when you steal, others like it when you do drugs, some are a dog and love you no matter what because they're a good boy yes they are, etc. You can romance many of them.

You got anything that makes the whole crafting thing easy to understand? I JUST started the game last night and now that I can do that I feel fairly overwhelmed. I think the tutorial was just push this button to make stuff happen.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

juliuspringle posted:

You got anything that makes the whole crafting thing easy to understand? I JUST started the game last night and now that I can do that I feel fairly overwhelmed. I think the tutorial was just push this button to make stuff happen.

- Every gun/armor/power armor is basically a frame with slots in it, when you craft you change what is in each slot to change the item's stats. So, a gun has a barrel slot, and you can put a long barrel in it for more range, or a short barrel for better hip firing accuracy.

- What goes in each slot is defined by the frame, so if you have a standard gun frame, you can only put standard gun components in its slots. If you have an energy weapon frame, you can't put a standard gun's barrel in it, you need an energy weapon barrel.

- You can get components by taking them out of other weapons, so you can take the repeater from a sub machine gun and put it in your pistol to make a fully automatic pistol (assuming your sub machine gun uses the same frame as your pistol, it can be hard to tell sometimes)

- You can also make components yourself from pieces of junk you collect from across the world. You will also need the appropriate Perk to craft them (e.g. you need Gun Smith to craft a gun barrel).

- The crafting menu will show you every possible component that can go in a slot, as well as what junk pieces and perks you require in order to craft that component.

- Melee weapon crafting is almost useless, since there are far fewer options than with other items, and almost every worthwhile combination will turn up in shops anyways.

- Armor crafting is definitely worth it, and I believe gun crafting can be good too (though I don't have much experience with it)

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 20, 2016

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

- Every gun/armor/power armor is basically a frame with slots in it, when you craft you change what is in each slot to change the item's stats. So, a gun has a barrel slot, and you can put a long barrel in it for more range, or a short barrel for better hip firing accuracy.

- What goes in each slot is defined by the frame, so if you have a standard gun frame, you can only put standard gun components in its slots. If you have an energy weapon frame, you can't put a standard gun's barrel in it, you need an energy weapon barrel.

- You can get components by taking them out of other weapons, so you can take the repeater from a sub machine gun and put it in your pistol to make a fully automatic pistol (assuming your sub machine gun uses the same frame as your pistol, it can be hard to tell sometimes)

- You can also make components yourself from pieces of junk you collect from across the world. You will also need the appropriate Perk to craft them (e.g. you need Gun Smith to craft a gun barrel).

- The crafting menu will show you every possible component that can go in a slot, as well as what junk pieces and perks you require in order to craft that component.

- Melee weapon crafting is almost useless, since there are far fewer options than with other items, and almost every worthwhile combination will turn up in shops anyways.

- Armor crafting is definitely worth it, and I believe gun crafting can be good too (though I don't have much experience with it)

That stuff I get (though good to know about Melee) I'm wondering things like can people steal stuff from my house, is it better to breakdown everything in a house or leave it there for someone who might move in, basically the base building aspect.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

juliuspringle posted:

That stuff I get (though good to know about Melee) I'm wondering things like can people steal stuff from my house, is it better to breakdown everything in a house or leave it there for someone who might move in, basically the base building aspect.

Oh that, ok:

If you want more people, build more beds, food and water. It doesn't matter if the beds are in a luxurious mansion or outside in the rain, it doesn't matter if there's no route between the water pump and the people who want to drink, or the fields and the farmers. You can be as lazy or diligent as you like.

When you get a new place, scavenge everything so you can use it to make new things, unless you actually want to use it for something, since you get less back from scavenging an item than it cost to build it.

When it comes to what goes where:

- You need to make power lines from generators to electrical devices. These cost copper, which is kind of rare, so try and be economical
- Your settlement can be attacked, and your turrets will shoot invaders, if you put turrets in dumb places then obviously they won't help
- You can only put food and water things in particular places (e.g. You can only plant in dirt floors, not inside)

If you want to store something, then put it into a base's crafting bench. It will remain there safe forever, it can't be stolen or lost.

If you're serious about building settlements, you really need the Local Leader perk (charmisma 6 I think), since the alternative is fast traveling between settlements to transfer junk by hand which is an amazing pain in the rear end.

Finally, settlements have these functions:

1) They spawn annoying "XXX is under attack!" quests, which you can respond to. Building better defenses reduces the frequency of these quests (always build better defenses)
2) You can shoot off the flare gun to get militia men to spawn and help you, the number of men you get is related to how many settlements you have nearby
3) Later on you can build artillery batteries in settlements, and call down strikes by throwing a special grenade. The amount of artillery fire you get is determined by how many settlements with artillery you have nearby.
4) You can make your own shops in them
5) You can make farms to spawn fruit and turn that fruit into adhesive for crafting

1 is just annoying, 2 is pointless, 3 is hilarious and fun, but requires way too much effort to achieve, 4 is pointless, 5 is amazing since almost everything needs adhesive. Many people will have only one settlement which they use to make glue and then they ignore the whole system.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

juliuspringle posted:

People aren't going to steal your stuff, though some settlement objects like water pumps might get broken in attacks, which you can mitigate by plopping down defenses and by responding to them personally when they happen. You generally have a pretty good window to fend them off if you're not busy.

You can break down whatever you want as long as you make sure your settlers have enough indoor beds, food, water and defense. Basically make all the numbers at the top of the screen green and you've got the basics down. If you're in doubt of what to tackle, your settlers will tell you if you ask them what they want.

As for crafting, I'd suggest just picking a mod you want to build towards and just looking out for those components while you're exploring. You'll eventually get an eye for what components you mostly need, and what in-world items contain them. When you get a good haul, head back to your settlement of choice, go to a workbench and use the Store All Junk command to offload your components and see what you can build (make sure to store any unused weapon mods you're carrying too, they'll eat up your carry weight if you're not careful). I'll tell you now that Adhesive is going to be important, at least it was for my gun guy, and you can actually make Adhesive at the Cooking Pot with some naturally occurring ingredients. You can also buy some components in bulk from traders--make sure to check out the Junk category of the merchants you meet.

Also, just in case you didn't know, the Help section in the Esc menu has a lot of tutorial material that's either explained poorly in-game or not explained at all, so take a look there first if you're stumped by something.

Gerblyn posted:

Finally, settlements have these functions:

1) They spawn annoying "XXX is under attack!" quests, which you can respond to. Building better defenses reduces the frequency of these quests (always build better defenses)
2) You can shoot off the flare gun to get militia men to spawn and help you, the number of men you get is related to how many settlements you have nearby
3) Later on you can build artillery batteries in settlements, and call down strikes by throwing a special grenade. The amount of artillery fire you get is determined by how many settlements with artillery you have nearby.
4) You can make your own shops in them
5) You can make farms to spawn fruit and turn that fruit into adhesive for crafting

1 is just annoying, 2 is pointless, 3 is hilarious and fun, but requires way too much effort to achieve, 4 is pointless, 5 is amazing since almost everything needs adhesive. Many people will have only one settlement which they use to make glue and then they ignore the whole system.

The ratio of useful to pointless/annoying on this list is depressingly accurate :smith:

Phetz fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 20, 2016

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Anything for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen besides what is in the wiki? Also, I'm not sure how much it's changed since the wiki entry was created.

- Some of the Before I play wiki page is opinionated garbage and can be ignored. Specifically ignore what classes the author says are fun or boring and his thoughts on Warriors. Try all the classes, form your own opinion. Having said that, most players leave Mage to pawns (NPC compaions) because a lot of the exclusive mage abilities are support skills like healing. Sorcerers get the bigger "boom" spells.

- Pawn "inclinations" influence how a pawn acts, and some of them aren't as useful as they sound.

To give an example, Guardian sounds like it would be useful on a fighter pawn if you're a squishy wizard type. It's not, really. It makes it so the pawn doesn't really engage enemies until they take a shot at you and prioritizes staying close to you, even after taunting that big nasty ogre with wide rushing attacks that can flatten you. Guardian mages will also prioritize staying close to you over actually getting any spells off.

Scather encourages grappling on big enemies, so while it's great on a Strider, a Scather Mage might try to uselessly climb a cyclops instead of using spells.

Medicant encourages healing, so while it's good on a support Mage, you want it as a secondary inclination. If it's primary, the Mage will stop casting buffs or damage spells whenever anyone so much as skins their knee.

- Be careful when using pawn commands, because they can cause shifts in pawn inclinations. Using "come" in battle too often will shift your pawn into Guardian, while "Help me" will add Medicant tendency.

- You can force pawn inclination changes to your main pawn by using elixirs sold in the same room where you first got your pawn. The merchant that sells them shows up a main quest or two later. They cost rift crystals, which you can get a lot of easily if other players hire your pawn.

- You don't actually lose your pawn when it's hired out, other players just get a copy and you get rewarded after they finish with it and you rest at an inn.

- Character level and class ranks are unrelated. The only prerequisite to switching to a class is being character level 10 and having enough discipline points to buy the new class. Once you have acquired a class, switching to or from it has no cost. Advanced and hybrid classes are not straight upgrades, the base classes have their own niches. Warrior is the advanced Fighter class, but gives up on a shield for a huge two-handed weapon, so Fighters are still tankier, to give an example.

- Stat growth is determined by what class you have active when you gain a character level. You can min/max by leveling with a class with good growth for the class you want to use (like Assassin for the best physical attack growth). Dragon's Dogma isn't hard enough that you have to do this. Don't get to max level before playing the class you actually want to play. You'll steamroll everything by then no matter what you do.

- There are sidequests that are only available during specific parts of the story. Unless you use a guide, you WILL miss some. If you care about 100% completion, http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Side_Quest_Progression tries to keep the spoilers light until you click on the links for more details.

Anything else you want to know about?

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 20, 2016

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

juliuspringle posted:

Maybe it was patched but it seems like Settlers sometimes steal weapons, but I think that's only if you also store ammo since they need at least one bullet to use a gun, but ammo is weightless, so just always have all the ammo on you. I haven't noticed any theft myself, but some people swear it's happened.

Gerblyn posted:

- You need to make power lines from generators to electrical devices. These cost copper, which is kind of rare, so try and be economical

This is actually going away, current beta patch or maybe even current patch made it free.

Also yeah, the perk system is different than what we had but it does allow for specialized, crazy builds, they're just going to be different. Like there's a perk for upping pistol damage, one for single shot rifles, and one for automatics. Doesn't matter if the single shot is a shotgun, sniper rifle, plasma rifle, whatever, it'll get the bonus.

Most of the perks have multiple ranks, and some of those ranks have basically secondary perks. Like I think rank 3 or something of Sneak gives you Light Step and you won't trigger floor traps, rank 4 of Strong Back let's you fast travel while encumbered, etc.

Here's a tool you can gently caress with for character builds: http://www.levelbased.com/guides/fallout-4/tools/special hovering over each perk will show you what each rank does, and yeah, you start with fewer points to put into Special, but you can always burn a perk to increase a Special stat similar to Intense Training.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can I patch up existing houses or do I have to build everything from scratch?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

juliuspringle posted:

Can I patch up existing houses or do I have to build everything from scratch?

FO4? Pretty much from scratch. You can build things like around or on top of existing buildings but you're going to hit lots of limits. You can put items inside them like beds and stuff and workbenches though.

The houses that are just ruined you should just go ahead and knock down and build free-form structures on top. But any houses that look good I don't think you even have the option to remove, and those you may as well use as well to build on top of.

Also stuff like the red rocket gas station you can totally build walls around it and put things on top of it and stuff.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
FO4 chat: it's worth mentioning too that INT gives a bonus to experience gain, so it's not the dump stat you might think. Don't put anything above an 8 when building a character because the game still has stat bobbleheads (+1 to special stat, one for each stat), and you can find a book in your house after the intro that gives +1 to a stat of your choice.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I have a few old hopefully good posts on DA if you want to look them up; sadly some dubious stuff made it to the wiki IIRC so check in with the Dogma PC thread if you have any specific questions. They're very helpful!

Off the top of my head:
-keep at least 10 of everything in the Material category for upgrades. Shove everything in Other into your box, as it's likely quest related.
-builds are largely unimportant. Switching classes for their cross-class skills IS important. The game is a pain to min-max and the benefits are pretty meager, so go nuts.
-your pawn will be stupid at the outset of your journey no matter how patrician you are at the game. Proper inclination setup will help, but growing your pawn's bestiary knowledge will help even more.
-only Mages have healing magic and they also get some of the best buffs (for the classes pawns can be, anyway). Once you're well on your way to godhood you can forego the Mage for more firepower, but early on they're pretty indispensable
-you can switch from Hard to Normal/Easy anytime, but going from anything to Hard will move your character over to a NG cycle. Do this and then switch back to Normal if you feel you've hosed something up extremely badly (failing Lost and Found or Chasing Shadows are good reasons).
-Hard Mode increases monster damage by 450% and doubles your stamina drain, among other things. It also drops crazy gold and doubles your EXP and DCP (job points). I wouldn't do it on a fresh lvl1 character, but in NG+ it's worth checking out.

Hope this helps!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Eldred posted:

FO4 chat: it's worth mentioning too that INT gives a bonus to experience gain, so it's not the dump stat you might think. Don't put anything above an 8 when building a character because the game still has stat bobbleheads (+1 to special stat, one for each stat), and you can find a book in your house after the intro that gives +1 to a stat of your choice.

Yeah going a few points into INT early game is extremely powerful and I would recommend everybody do it unless you take idiot savant, which is nearly as good (fairly OP). If you do take idiot savant than you want to do the opposite and leave your INT as low as possible for the entire game.

Note that some fun stuff like nuclear physicist requires high INT, so if you plan on using power armor a lot you should do the high-INT strategy early so you see lots of XP payoff. Otherwise commit to the idiot savant early on so you maximize how many random XP bonuses you get.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Eldred posted:

Don't put anything above an 8 when building a character because the game still has stat bobbleheads (+1 to special stat, one for each stat), and you can find a book in your house after the intro that gives +1 to a stat of your choice.
Following up on this, the bobbleheads can put a SPECIAL stat to 11, if it's at 10 before picking up the bobblehead. Importantly, an 11 doesn't open up any additional perk options so 11s are usually a bit of a waste compared to bumping other lower stats (and unlocking their perks) instead.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I put all my skills at 4 (i think, i know INT is 5 now), how hosed am I? I haven't really done poo poo besides hoard things for 4 hours so I'm not above starting over.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

I put all my skills at 4 (i think, i know INT is 5 now), how hosed am I? I haven't really done poo poo besides hoard things for 4 hours so I'm not above starting over.

Not even a little bit hosed, you have functionally infinite levels and you can spend a level to increase a stat, so just beeline for whatever perks you want. Any rank in a perk past the first has a (generally higher than you'd expect) level requirement anyway, so you're not ever really wasting levels.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

juliuspringle posted:

If you're not gearing towards any particular playstyle you're not hosed. If you wanted to be more about sneak attack sniping, or punching fools while in power armor, or fighting using mostly VATS and crits, you're going to get to the perks that help those playstyles much more slowly. But you can and will get there.

Once nice thing about having no skills per se this time around is that you can basically use any weapon and do mild lockpicking/hacking from the get-go. Companions can also help cover some bases. Do what you feel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Not to mention you can easily re-roll your stats using console commands if you're on PC, although make sure you save before you do because it can be very buggy.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Random Hajile posted:

- Some of the Before I play wiki page is opinionated garbage and can be ignored.

Reading through it, you're not kidding. There's a lot of bad advice in there.

I would also like to comment about character weight. It's a non-issue as it doesn't take too long to unlock the trait in the Fighter tree that increases the Light-Weight window size. There's also a Stalker trait that allows you to run at one threshold below your current encumbrance.

And as the others have said, don't worry about min/maxing. Even if you need your pawn to be a tank after being a mage its whole life, it will benefit from the magic defense and other stats. Only worry if you notice your pawn is constantly winded as they may need a little bit more stamina (this again can be offset by traits).

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah going a few points into INT early game is extremely powerful and I would recommend everybody do it unless you take idiot savant, which is nearly as good (fairly OP). If you do take idiot savant than you want to do the opposite and leave your INT as low as possible for the entire game.

Note that some fun stuff like nuclear physicist requires high INT, so if you plan on using power armor a lot you should do the high-INT strategy early so you see lots of XP payoff. Otherwise commit to the idiot savant early on so you maximize how many random XP bonuses you get.

It's worth noting that, like all Bethesda games, 90% of the content is level-scaled. Therefore, taking INT just for the XP gain is questionable at best.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gynovore posted:

It's worth noting that, like all Bethesda games, 90% of the content is level-scaled. Therefore, taking INT just for the XP gain is questionable at best.

Yeah but there's still a ton of potential that requires skills. Things like crafting can really give you options, and things like accuracy make a huge difference regardless of level. The damage scales with level but accuracy doesn't, and you mostly get accuracy from skills and levels, not damage. Plus just being able to hack terminals or pick locks or things like that to get access to more stuff.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but there's still a ton of potential that requires skills. Things like crafting can really give you options, and things like accuracy make a huge difference regardless of level. The damage scales with level but accuracy doesn't, and you mostly get accuracy from skills and levels, not damage. Plus just being able to hack terminals or pick locks or things like that to get access to more stuff.

Also why wouldn't you want to rush through the early levels in a Bethesda RPG, where your character is totally useless?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Zaphod42 posted:

Worth noting that even with 10 Int the Perk Idiot Savant can still pay off, I believe the actual difference between Int 1 and 10 for it's effectiveness is something silly like 5%.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If I recall, each point of INT is approximately 3% XP bonus.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brightman posted:

Worth noting that even with 10 Int the Perk Idiot Savant can still pay off, I believe the actual difference between Int 1 and 10 for it's effectiveness is something silly like 5%.

Idiot Savant does still give you a bonus at 10 int, but its very minor compared to the bonus at 1. That's wrong, its definitely more than 5% difference.

Int 1 with idiot savant L1 is the same as Int 8-9

Int 10 with idiot savant L1 is the same as Int 12

So you can see its massive diminishing returns as you gain int, but its still worth taking at 10 int if you want more XP.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 20, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thanks for the Dragon's Dogma tips. I was downloading the game last night when I posted about it, so I'm off to finally try it tonight.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Zaphod42 posted:

Idiot Savant does still give you a bonus at 10 int, but its very minor compared to the bonus at 1. That's wrong, its definitely more than 5% difference.

Int 1 with idiot savant L1 is the same as Int 8-9

Int 10 with idiot savant L1 is the same as Int 12

So you can see its massive diminishing returns as you gain int, but its still worth taking at 10 int if you want more XP.

Sorry I think I meant frequency since it activator randomly, or is that what that graph is? Point is don't take idiot savant and dump int just because of it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Eldred posted:

Also why wouldn't you want to rush through the early levels in a Bethesda RPG, where your character is totally useless?

If you want to skip the first half-dozen levels, scrap everything in Sanctuary. Then sleep for an hour, eat a Mentats, and build a whole bunch of poo poo. Make a purified water factory. Ring the whole place with metal walls and hang pictures of cats on them (seriously, you can do this). Steal the Abernathy's tatoes and plant them.

Or, if you're on PC, you could, I dunno, use a console command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Random Hajile posted:

Some of the Before I play wiki page is opinionated garbage and can be ignored.

paco650 posted:

Sadly some dubious stuff made it to the wiki IIRC

Mayor McCheese posted:

Reading through it, you're not kidding. There's a lot of bad advice in there.

I added your various tips, and removed the items that Radom Hajile specifically pointed out.

I'm keen to keep it to tips that most people would agree on, but I haven't played Dragon's Dogma. Would one of you be willing to essentially copy and paste the tips, remove the bad ones, and then post the remainder in this thread so I can make sure the wiki page doesn't have any crap in it?