Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

apekillape posted:

I only mention it like every 10 pages, I'm self-conscious about seeming needy, haha. I'm currently at page 36 or so, hope to get caught up to the current page by the end of the week. Then the exciting categorizing and prettying up starts.

You should get a medal for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Raptop posted:

Any advice for someone just starting Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders ??

The basic campaigns will teach you a lot, and you'll need to go through them to unlock the last two, so go through.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH EXP-You can't get back what you've spent, even if you delete the skill. You can end up in an unwinnable/extremely difficult situation if you're not careful.

EXP comes from kills, of course. Gold is earned by using SP. So don't let SP sit around unless it's important.

The Big Three are your main unit, Archers, and Cavalry. Anything else is gravy.

With Lucretia, make a second archer unit, and upgrade it. Don't bother with Rithrin-he leaves. Also, make a second magi and upgrade her. Do bother with Cirith, but don't go too far. Same reason as Rithrin.

Many general units, when in your group, have multiple specials based on what equipment they have.

Take note of elemental weaknesses, and set up skills accordingly-your enemies can't equip for resistance like you can. Example, most human units have a weakness to Lightning and Earth magic, Ghouls hate Fire and Ice as well as Holy, etc. You can check resistances in the status/equip screens. A bit meta-gamey, but the damage increase from doing it can seriously help.

On the subject of elemental attacks, if your teammates in your main unit have magic skill, that magic's element will be added to their attacks and specials. This can increase damage drastically.

Elemental Boost uses the highest magic skill level in the group. This is of importance to Lucretia, who has a Curse magic user in her group. Thus. keep Morene's Curse higher than Cirith/Magi's magic skill, as the Curse effect is powerful(and usually can't be gotten on a unit).

Paladin Holy Explosion is more effective than you'd think. It's more than a regen boost-it also makes the unit dramatically tougher. Things that would cause heavy damage and kills get shrugged off. Keep it up whenever possible. They're my usual fourth unit.

If you need more clarification, ask. Be aware, the game is quite hard.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 27, 2009

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

Blight Runner posted:

I would ask about Armor recommendations in Scavenger and Nightmare mode, but I figure you don't have a choice with the limited selection and the "I'll die no matter what attack hits me" difficulty. All I can think of are the armors that drop you to 1HP when hit with a deathblow.

You got all the attachment info right (Well, other than it's Crystal Skull not Red, but that's just nit picking really) and the info about the gunblade.

As for armor recommendations, honestly I never really thought about armor choices too much and just went with whatever upgrades I got for free. Although just like the normal game you are best off if you save up belt pouches for one of the later/better armors instead.

The only armor with anti-deathblow I believe was the chicken plate which you can only get by doing the bad ending so I never really bothered getting it. No idea how much it'll help if at all. It might help you, but all the benefits from doing the good ending outweigh it I believe.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I got the Titan Quest Bundle from the d2d sale, made a ranger (hunting/nature masteries), got him to level 11 and am getting my assed kicked because I have no way to deal with groups that started becoming frequent around level 8. I randomly threw points everywhere so I believe my character plain sucks.

Tips? should I stick with this character or play something else? While pretty, the static maps will probably only make me once on normal.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lakbay posted:

I got the Titan Quest Bundle from the d2d sale, made a ranger (hunting/nature masteries), got him to level 11 and am getting my assed kicked because I have no way to deal with groups that started becoming frequent around level 8. I randomly threw points everywhere so I believe my character plain sucks.

Tips? should I stick with this character or play something else? While pretty, the static maps will probably only make me once on normal.

The main problem with TQ is that there's no way to know what's viable before you try out a specific class, and the maps are static so it makes finding the right combination a complete pain.

I heavily recommend for anyone to download a trainer or cheat program like TQ Defiler and use its feature that wipes all your skills and returns your skill points to you, allowing you to respec again in-game.

As for a bow character, Hunting/Dream and Hunting/Rogue are the most viable, by far. Hunting/nature isn't terrible, though. I played co-op, so I can't attest to how easy it is to level this character on your own, but I spent my first 15-20 levels on nearly 90% hunting skills. For going against big groups, by far the most important skills are Puncture Shot, Scatter Shot, and Volley. The combination of these three skills, when facing a group of enemies, make you do more damage than any other class in the entire game.

Throw in some dream mastery buffs or rogue mastery +piercing damage and you're a monster. Before you get scattershot and volley though, both top tier skills, you're pretty ineffective. That's why I blitzed straight to them ignoring the secondary class. The other problem is single target damage wont be as high as some other classes, and you may have to engage in a lot of kiting against some bosses.

The reason why this skill combination is so powerful is that if Piercing Shot procs, the arrow will travel through every single enemy on its path (it checks when you fire, not when it hits an enemy). When you have scattershot, those fragments will come out of every enemy that gets hit by a single arrow. With volley procing as well, that's three arrows at once traveling through all enemies and causing an insane amount of fragments to appear at once, causing absurd damage. Again though, this is easier with at least one other player to back you up online.

For a probably easier class to play as, you may want to consider a warrior combo for your first game. They're pretty fun, especially with the rag-doll physics you don't get to see as an archer, and they can also be really drat powerful. Warfare/Dream is the most popular and probably most overpowered class in the game, it can do the highest single-target damage out of any class, and has lots of AoE abilities. But really, warrior combined with a lot of other classes can be strong. Warfare/fire is a nice hybrid class, warfare/earth can give you nice defensive abilities, warfare/rogue can make for a really nice spear oriented class, and so on.

Also it's been said before, but Dream mastery is the most overpowered one in the game. It's abilities can go with literally every single other mastery and any combination with Dream is a good combination, so don't be bashful about picking it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 23, 2009

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

advice

Thanks! I think I'll go warfare/dream since I found blue text axe and armor that seem warrior-ish.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

KillRoy posted:

I just picked up Jean D'Arc for the PSP. I always end up missing something in these games.Any hints?

Unlike Final Fantasy Tactics and other SRPGs, you can't move after you attack in this one. Your turn will either go "Move -> Attack" or just "Attack".

And the more characters nearby, the stronger your attack will be.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Any tips for Rune Factory Frontier? I just started and am on Spring day 6 or 7. I haven't gotten an axe or fishing pole yet and would like one soon, and I got to the end of the first segment of the Whale Island cave but couldn't figure out how to get through the door. I figure I'd just spend more time farming and the game would let me know how to progress, but I want to know if there's something in particular I should be doing in early game.

p.s. already noticed that mining isn't broken like in the original

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Don't want to bug, but seriously, Blue Dragon? I want to give it a go since I'm off work next week but got distracted after I dropped into the first cave - is there a key to making it interesting, does it get better, what should I be aiming for?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Blue Dragon is a game you either really like or don't, but i'd advise slogging on for a bit, at least til you get to the end of the first disc, where a load of cool poo poo happens.

My method with the game was to multi class the characters so they have high levels in two classes, and make sure at least one character other than Kluke has decent magic skills before the third disc because there are some horrendous battles in one area that you can get yourself save-trapped in, like i did :(

Also, when an item comes up 'nothing', those get counted and there's a dude under the bridge in Jibral who gives you prizes for getting a certain number of 'nothings', good prizes too, decent accessories.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Finally gotten around to playing Valkyria Chronicles, any tips? I've never played an SRPG before so it would be much appreciated.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

french lies posted:

Finally gotten around to playing Valkyria Chronicles, any tips? I've never played an SRPG before so it would be much appreciated.
I haven't gotten very far in, but this has helped me...
· The main thing is to pay attention in the tutorials. It takes a little effort at first to understand the individual units and their functions, but once you build a rhythm for it it pays off. Especially watch the snipers and the engineers; a lot of the snipers die easily and the engineers are the most technical of the units.
· Also, don't hinge your entire strategy on having a tank on the field. There's a lot the tank can accomplish, but you can't plow through the battles with it. Basically, don't trick yourself into thinking the game's Disgaea and the tank is Laharl.

EDIT: Other advice from earlier in the thread...

blackguy32 posted:

For Valkyria Chronicles

1)Try to get your soldiers to level 11 as soon as possible, since you get elite status. Level up your scouts first so they get rifle grenades, then do your shocktroopers and then your snipers.

2)Abusing orders makes some sections of the game piss easy.

3)Always take Rosie, Largo, and Alicia since they give you extra CP to use.

4)Take as few members into a mission as possible. Don't bring in additional units til you capture a field camp. You don't want to bring in a Sniper at the beginning of a mission and find that he is lagging behind everyone else due to their low AP.

5)Chapter 7 will test you, but its not that difficult. Make sure that you keep your units away from the upper right corner of the map (I think that's it)

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 25, 2009

Fray Joker
Nov 3, 2007

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.
Okay, this is a bit of a strange request. But I'm looking for some very specific Okami advice.

Recently a friend and I played through all of Twilight Princess with her manning the remote, and myself using the nun-chuck. In short it was a blast and we're looking for our next fix and I think I found it in Okami. Is there any particular aspect of the game that would prevent a play-through in this style? (for instance, a lot of the advanced sword techniques in Zelda were practically impossible playing like this. It was still playable but made monsters like darknuts much much harder)

Similarly can anyone think of any tips that would make a play-through like this a little smoother?

I guess while I'm at it, general advice for the wii version would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance! :)

Oh and while I think of it, a few contributions about Etrian Odyssey II seeing as I've been playing that lately.

- As has been pointed out, survivalists are a great way to make some dosh. Getting an alt party of five going with 4 ranks in chop, mine and take together will let you pull 60 items per run an in-game day cycle. A bit of esc and agi up, when you get around to it a few ranks of Ambush and 1st hit. Once you get them going, a quick run through the strata and hitting up the resource points is a great way to grind for cash and better weapons.

- Don't forget to buy a warp wire before you leave.

- I think it's on the third strata that you come across stalking FOEs. Great way to deal with them is use arrow markers to plot out a path past them. They will always react and move the same way, so this can be a real time saver then faffing about trying to find a gap past. Also means less random encounters to deal with.

- Going into the labyrinth? Did you remember your warp wire?

- Just don't have anything to do with FOES where possible. Use bells and abilities to distract them, go out of your way to avoid them, and always run away if you go into combat with them. If you have to fight, say you're backed up against the wall or are doing it for a quest those "trump card" focus abilities are a life-saver, otherwise spam special attacks and try to keep everyone alive to get in more hits.

- For the love of all that is good and holy, DO NOT FORGET TO HAVE A WARP WIRE AT ALL TIMES.

- Speccing a Landsknecht to swords gives you access to some of the best multi-hit abilities which are invaluable coming up against some of the larger random encounters.

I might write a few more things if I think of them.

Fray Joker fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 25, 2009

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Fray Joker posted:

Okay, this is a bit of a strange request. But I'm looking for some very specific Okami advice.

Recently a friend and I played through all of Twilight Princess with her manning the remote, and myself using the nun-chuck. In short it was a blast and we're looking for our next fix and I think I found it in Okami. Is there any particular aspect of the game that would prevent a play-through in this style? (for instance, a lot of the advanced sword techniques in Zelda were practically impossible playing like this. It was still playable but made monsters like darknuts much much harder)

I played Okami's original release on the PS2, so I'm not sure how it controls on the Wii, however I would imagine Okami will be significantly more difficult than Zelda to play in the manner you described. Just about all of the brush techniques you learn are essential to use at some point and some of them are finicky (PS2 version) and depending on how the controls are split up it might be fairly tough. Also not that Okami is hard by any means, but I thought the difficulty in TP was laughingly easy.

Okami was a great game, I would just play it solo...unless someone with experience on the Wii version thinks playing the game the way you want to wont make it miserable.

If you're after a fun co-op experience, as disappointing as the overall game was for me, RE5 was the most fun I've ever had with a friend in a co-op setting.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Halo 3: ODST

-Play on Heroic or above. Seriously, anything less is just gimping the experience.
-Contrary to what you might think, Stealth does actually work. It's a bit like Far Cry 2 - the enemies aren't as dumb as a brick and even if they don't know who killed one of their own they will know that it happened and where the shot probably came from. If you stick around they will catch you, but if you stay back and find some cover you can give them the slip and they won't find you that easily.
-The Silenced SMG is kind of meh, but the Automag is the poo poo. The classic "noob combo" works so drat well here: Fire an overcharged plasma pistol blast at a brute and quickly switch to the automag for the headshot. Congratulations, you're virtually unstoppable.
-If you get a sniper rifle, use it. They're limited in ammo but they're incredibly powerful. 90% of the time you will get the jump on the enemy in the overworld and a well placed shot can gently caress up a brute's day.
-Finding audio logs will unlock supply caches. It's worth doing this as it's the only reliable way to get extra ammo for your SMG and automag.
-Engineers can be a pain in the rear end. They sometimes self-destruct if you get too close to them as they've been rigged to blow when they come in contact with a human. They'll also give overshields to any covenant in the area, but a plasma pistol/automag combo will sort that issue out.
-VISR is essential in the overworld but in the flashback missions it's usually not worth it unless you're in a dark area as it amplifies light and can make it harder to see things.

cAtf00d
Sep 3, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Great Persona 3 tips.

This clears things up a lot, thanks!

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Im going to run through Dungeon Siege again. Any fun gamebreakers?

Thats to those that gave me tips for Star Ocean 2. Ive never had that much fun steamrolling through a game. Makes JRPGs a shitload more fun in my opinion.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Dungeon Siege

It's pretty simple. Half RPG and half small-scale RTS, but not too deep in either case.

It's very linear, with no backtracking at all. There are a few side quests, but they're mostly "Go tell my cousin I miss her, and she'll give you a healing potion."

You can specialize in melee, ranged, or two flavors of magic. IMHO, they're all good. However, contrary to Chris Taylor's blurbs promoting it, you ARE gimping yourself if you spread yourself around, or switch styles halfway. Granted, the default game is pretty easy, so you can do so and still win.

About a third of the way through, in the goblin caves, you get a sweet grenade launcher, which has 200 charges. What the game doesn't tell you is that the charges regenerate over time, so don't save it for a rainy day, use it!

The final boss is just a big sack of hitpoints.

Save the knife you start the game with, it's used to unlock an Easter egg later.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I'm thinking of buying NWN2 (which doesn't include Mask of the Betrayer) and Storm of Zehir on the D2D sale. Will the lack of MotB prevent me from playing most community created modules?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Since my translation has obsolesced in the face of the official one, here's what I have for Revelations: Persona, in the original Japanese, for PSX. Most of this should be transferable to the PSP Persona game.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (PSX)
· As with other SMT games, strength/weakness is EVERYTHING in battle. Even a level 99 character will only do piddly damage against a Level 40 enemy if s/he doesn't have the right tools.
· The dungeons look like Peano curves approaching their limit, and are about as long. There are also random battles with a very, very high encounter rate. If you hate dungeon crawling, this isn't the game for you.
· As soon as you get past the level of an enemy, try to get its Spell Card. This is how you get more Personas, and just having the Spell Card will allow you to get rid of the enemy in any subsequent battle.
To get a Spell Card, do everything you can to max the enemy's Interest. This is really just finding one command that piques the enemy's interest and hitting it repeatedly.
· As soon as you enter the gingerbread house, conversation choices you make will affect the ending, and you can potentially lock out the good ending and only find out hours later. Go read HLaPierre's FAQ for more information.
· On the sixth floor of Deva Yuga is a light puzzle. You want to have all the red floor lights match up with the ceiling lights. You'll know you're done if you hear a beep.
The trick is to backtrack a lot.
· Beating a boss does not necessarily mean the end of a dungeon. Have fun backtracking.
The mall dungeon is the longest dungeon I've ever been through in my life, and you have to do it twice in succession because the boss is a bitch. Deva Yuga is the second longest. At the end you have to fight one of the hardest bosses in the game, and then backtrack about halfway through.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hmm, well, thanks for dispelling any curiosity I had about that game. Now I know I can safely ignore it. Is Persona 2 any better? (the one in english, of course)

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Hmm, well, thanks for dispelling any curiosity I had about that game. Now I know I can safely ignore it. Is Persona 2 any better? (the one in english, of course)
Both are. Innnocent Sin got fan-translated twice, once in a follow-along translation and again recently in translation hack/ISO form. Both games are absolutely stunningly awesome, especially taken as a pair. Again, weakness is everything and there are a lot of random battles, but the dungeons aren't nearly as Sisyphean or claustrophobic feeling.

I should point out, though, that the PSP port did boast "revised" dungeons. I'll play that again and see if what I said about the dungeons in particular is transferable to the PSP "remake." It also mentioned a rebalanced battle system. Again, I'll play into the game and see if what I said still holds.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Which one comes first, Innocent Sin or Eternal Punishment?

Project Oni
Oct 19, 2007
Fanclub is full

Ddraig posted:

Halo 3: ODST

-Play on Heroic or above. Seriously, anything less is just gimping the experience.
-Contrary to what you might think, Stealth does actually work. It's a bit like Far Cry 2 - the enemies aren't as dumb as a brick and even if they don't know who killed one of their own they will know that it happened and where the shot probably came from. If you stick around they will catch you, but if you stay back and find some cover you can give them the slip and they won't find you that easily.
-The Silenced SMG is kind of meh, but the Automag is the poo poo. The classic "noob combo" works so drat well here: Fire an overcharged plasma pistol blast at a brute and quickly switch to the automag for the headshot. Congratulations, you're virtually unstoppable.
-If you get a sniper rifle, use it. They're limited in ammo but they're incredibly powerful. 90% of the time you will get the jump on the enemy in the overworld and a well placed shot can gently caress up a brute's day.
-Finding audio logs will unlock supply caches. It's worth doing this as it's the only reliable way to get extra ammo for your SMG and automag.
-Engineers can be a pain in the rear end. They sometimes self-destruct if you get too close to them as they've been rigged to blow when they come in contact with a human. They'll also give overshields to any covenant in the area, but a plasma pistol/automag combo will sort that issue out.
-VISR is essential in the overworld but in the flashback missions it's usually not worth it unless you're in a dark area as it amplifies light and can make it harder to see things.
Also:

- Have some friends to play with. I've been hearing too many people trash this game just because they don't have enough people to play with.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Which one comes first, Innocent Sin or Eternal Punishment?
Innocent Sin.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Project Oni posted:

Also:

- Have some friends to play with. I've been hearing too many people trash this game just because they don't have enough people to play with.

I have to go against this and say its 10x better by yourself. in firefight the more the better but they really tried hard to build up a great atmosphere in this game and playing it in co-op, while certainly fun, robs it of some of the feel of the game.

Personal preference I guess.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

Both are. Innnocent Sin got fan-translated twice, once in a follow-along translation and again recently in translation hack/ISO form. Both games are absolutely stunningly awesome, especially taken as a pair. Again, weakness is everything and there are a lot of random battles, but the dungeons aren't nearly as Sisyphean or claustrophobic feeling.

I should point out, though, that the PSP port did boast "revised" dungeons. I'll play that again and see if what I said about the dungeons in particular is transferable to the PSP "remake." It also mentioned a rebalanced battle system. Again, I'll play into the game and see if what I said still holds.

The PSP version adds three difficulty modes. The layout of the dungeons is unchanged but the encounter rate has been decreased tremendously and there are more save points + a quick save feature since it's a handheld game and all.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

im_sorry posted:

I'm thinking of buying NWN2 (which doesn't include Mask of the Betrayer) and Storm of Zehir on the D2D sale. Will the lack of MotB prevent me from playing most community created modules?

It will prevent you from playing modules that have any MotB of SoZ in them, even one little thing. I've never been to D2D, but I suspect that if they don't have it now, the 'Platinum Edition' will show up soon, prolly for not much more.

BTW, I played "I'm Sorry" on MAME. Dear Lord, what a weird game.

Project Oni
Oct 19, 2007
Fanclub is full

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I have to go against this and say its 10x better by yourself. in firefight the more the better but they really tried hard to build up a great atmosphere in this game and playing it in co-op, while certainly fun, robs it of some of the feel of the game.

Personal preference I guess.
Well alright, I hope you're not being sarcastic... although I've played some of campaign solo, and I do understand what you're getting at. I actually like the music too, which is something that is lost over the banter in a co-op campaign.

Project Oni fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 27, 2009

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Fray Joker posted:

I'm going to have to disagree with McKracken here, I think it would probably be a lot of fun. Some of the brush techniques are tricky at first, true, but since they're done entirely with the wiimote it shouldn't be any different from doing it on your own. I mean, the whole thing sounds a bit awkward to me, but if you enjoyed doing it with TP I think Okami should be fine.

Edit: besides, you should find out pretty quickly if it's workable, and if not, you've still got a great game to play through on your own.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Gynovore posted:

It will prevent you from playing modules that have any MotB of SoZ in them, even one little thing. I've never been to D2D, but I suspect that if they don't have it now, the 'Platinum Edition' will show up soon, prolly for not much more.

I bought them anyways... for $5 each, I couldn't resist. :) (I also bought Drakensang, which was also $5, and supposedly pretty good). They had the complete edition of NWN2 (which also included SoZ) for $54, and NWN2 Gold (with MotB) was $40, and MotB alone is $20, so even if I later decide I need it, it'll still be a lot less than the complete pack.

It looks like a fair number of modules require it - I'll probably have to pick it up at some point.

Gynovore posted:

BTW, I played "I'm Sorry" on MAME. Dear Lord, what a weird game.

Yeah.. it was one of the first things I discovered when I discovered MAME about a decade ago. That game alone totally justifies MAME's existence.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

As for a bow character, Hunting/Dream and Hunting/Rogue are the most viable, by far. Hunting/nature isn't terrible, though. I played co-op, so I can't attest to how easy it is to level this character on your own, but I spent my first 15-20 levels on nearly 90% hunting skills. For going against big groups, by far the most important skills are Puncture Shot, Scatter Shot, and Volley. The combination of these three skills, when facing a group of enemies, make you do more damage than any other class in the entire game.

I'm going to disagree a little here and say that Hunting/Nature is one of the strongest builds, it just trades some defensive abilities for the highest damage output in the game. Later on if you max out refresh and Call of the Hunt/Exploit Weakness you can have Call of the Hunt on at all times and do stupidly high damage (use the wolf aura and no nymph). Poison and Heart of Oak will help defense wise, but you are more prone to dying than the other Hunter combinations. Hunter/Nature was my first class (specifically because I read about the highest damaging classes first) and I can play at the very end parts of the game and still 1-hit kill most monsters before they get near me.

Oh yeah, and as Dr. Video Games said the bow skills will make things easier at first, and throwing in 2 wolves / Heart of Oak should also help.

Also it's been said before, but Dream mastery is the most overpowered one in the game. It's abilities can go with literally every single other mastery and any combination with Dream is a good combination, so don't be bashful about picking it.

This is definitely true. Really, most combinations should work fine, although you might need a guide or something. The only mastery that is really sub-par is Earth.

This should help a lot: http://www.titanquest.net/forums/skills-strategies/26315-poinas-guide-all-skills.html

Edit: OH! And download the fan made patch, it fixes a lot of bugs and doesn't do any balancing. You can find it on those forums if you look.

Dr Strangepants fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 27, 2009

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
I'm expecting to get Fallout 3 and Burnout: Paradise some time this week. I've searched the past 10 pages but didn't see anything. Anyone got words of advice? Especially for Fallout 3.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

danifestmestny posted:

I'm expecting to get Fallout 3 and Burnout: Paradise some time this week. I've searched the past 10 pages but didn't see anything. Anyone got words of advice? Especially for Fallout 3.

For FO3, play exactly the way that you want to play. Nearly every skill set/stat build is viable.

If you want to go the easy route though, I would upgrade Small Guns.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

danifestmestny posted:

In fallout 3, energy weapons are amazing in the higher levels. Throwing some points in there is always good. Edit in response to post above: Small guns are great early on, and stay handy, but after a while energy ammo gets abundant and the weapons get amazingly accurate/damaging.

Until the story tells you don't go into vault 112, you can easily wander in and skip half the main quest.

Other than that, wander around and experiment. For a second playthrough, try unarmed/explosives. you'd be amazed how much fun it is.

For Burnout: Paradise, if you're on PC, get a 360 controller or a racing wheel or something that has analog input.

Do burning routes as soon as you unlock them. You get upgraded versions of the cars, and later some of them are entirely different types.

Drive around, learn the city, and find what shortcuts work for you. Yes, the 500GT's burning route is physically possible, you just need to get the right route, and have a bit of luck.

If you can't get a billboard/jump, don't worry, you'll get a car that can do it later.

Also: check out the Burnout Paradise thread for a bunch of other stuff.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

danifestmestny posted:

Don't read any skill books until you reach level 4 and take the Comprehension perk. If you're playing good, you'll have a place of your own to stash them. For neutral or evil characters, I use a house in Minefield.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

Yes, the 500GT's burning route is physically possible, you just need to get the right route, and have a bit of luck.

Oddly enough, I just did that today. Took at least half an hour of not being close and then I beat it with 16 seconds to spare.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Still looking for advice (general, not specific/spoily unless it is on the order of "be careful you only get one chance to do X" on System Shock 1, but now I'm looking for a similar class of advice on The Dark Spire, too!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

danifestmestny posted:

Fallout 3 has a completely open world. Unfortunately, that means you might short-circuit parts of the main storyline by visiting one area before another. There are two such spots that I can remember: One is fairly minor -- visiting Rivet City before Galaxy News Radio. If you do that, you'll miss a bit of exploration in inner DC, but that's pretty much it. The other is a pretty big storyline skip, so don't enter a vault inside a garage until you've visited Project Purity.

With respect to actual gameplay, Small Guns is the most common combat skill and is worth putting points towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

im_sorry posted:

(I also bought Drakensang, which was also $5, and supposedly pretty good)

Yeah same here. I'd appreciate if anyone could do a write up for this