Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A dude posted:

sci-fi author is a great writer but a loathsome human being; racist, sexist, homophobic, you name it

I don't know if that's what you meant, but if you really are saying that all sci-fi authors are assholes, then you need to lay off whatever pills you're taking. Just off the top of my head, Asimov, Sagan, Clarke, Heinlein, Bradbury, Roddenberry and Fontana are all people whom I've heard to be decent human beings. In fact, the only other sci-fi author whom I heard was an rear end in a top hat is L Ron Hubbard, and it's debatable whether he can even be called an author.

EDIT: There's also Harlan Ellison, who is a cranky curmudgeon, but he's not racist or homophobic.

To get this thread back on track, anything for the latest Civ?

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gynovore posted:

Just off the top of my head, Asimov, Sagan, Clarke, Heinlein, Bradbury, Roddenberry and Fontana are all people whom I've heard to be decent human beings. In fact, the only other sci-fi author whom I heard was an rear end in a top hat is L Ron Hubbard, and it's debatable whether he can even be called an author.
I think you'll find every single one of those fuckers had views on sex, race and class that were not identical to those of a left-wing 21st century 20-something.

(Heinlein seriously did his level best to bring about WWIII though)

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Tell me about Breath of Fire 3.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

Don't sell any weapons during the first third of the game; there is a Master who requires you to have 15 different weapons in your inventory in order to apprentice under him.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Gynovore posted:

To get this thread back on track, anything for the latest Civ?

Districts are the new hotness and will change how you set up cities now. The best way seems to be founding 4 cities in a circle and putting industrial districts and an entertainment district or 2 in the center. Both of those districts get buildings later on that give the effects to every city in a 6 tile radius from the district. Those bonuses stack regardless of how many city centers are in range without any dropoff. Most games you play will be doing ok until you hit industrialization and build a couple of factories. At that point there is a HUGE spike in your production and production is king this game. That also means EVERY city you have NEEDS to have an industrial district. To make this extra stupid you have to become sezarian with Toronto. It extends the radius of those buildings by an extra 3 tiles.

Amenities replace global happiness but still operates under a lot of the same rules. A single luxury resource gives 4 amenities that get divided up among your cities with the amenities going to whichever city needs it most. Don't ask how it calculates that :iiam:. Multiple copes of a luxury resource don't give any more amenities and should be traded away (assuming the computer will even trade with you.)

The AI is dumb. Like really dumb even by Civ standards. You will have a civilization ask you for a joint war then immediately have them denounce you for being a warmonger in the same turn, even if that's your first war in the game. Usually every other civ will denounce you too for being a warmonger immediately. They'll ask for an alliance then immediately declare war on you. In my experience its better to just completely ignore diplomacy.

Warmonger penalties are gradual with there being none in the ancient era. By the Industrial era warmonger penalties are pretty severe. Since there is no penalty for war in the ancient era and cities don't range attack without walls you want to take over your neighbors when you have about 2 warriors and 2 archers, preferably 3. Seriously, wipe them out and take their empire. Its the best way in the early game to get cities and having more cities is king in this game. Go wide or go home.

Internal trade routes are crazy good. Production is what matters in this game and trade route cap is based off of a few things but can get ridiculous at the end. Its not unheard of for me to have over 30 trade routes by game end. If you find Carthage you can get that number over 50.

In terms of good civs Germany and Sumeria are incredibly strong and Scythia being game-breakingly OP. I'm talking "Who the gently caress thought this was balanced and how are they not fired yet?" I won't go into why Scythia is stupid other than she uses the "Horse Economy." Otherwise every civ is a little broken depending on the circumstances.

Its a good and fun game in its current state, it just needs some serious patches and a content update or two. Then again, that's every new civ.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

limp_cheese posted:

To make this extra stupid you have to become sezarian with Toronto.

Genuinely curious what people from Toronto think of this

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Capsaicin posted:

*Don't try to min/max Masters based on point gain/losses. You eventually get a place where you can create stat items by the dozen.

*Most Masters exist to teach you a couple skills in which most won't be useful. Some end game Masters can teach you some AoE that costs too much and poorly scales. Magic attacks fall behind.

*Fishing is either a day job or something to skip. Unless you want to get an end-game Master related to catching all the biggest fish, you can get a weapon that is slightly better than available before you invade a huge mansion early in the game and fish for whales at the end of the game.

*There are no good rods and the ultimate rod is garbage.

*Fahl is an excellent Master for all characters.

*Many enemies have gimmicks like growing stronger or level you up when hit with certain attacks. A guide will help.

*There are a certain number of Faeries with fixed names and stats. You can safely kill off the few with terrible stats so better ones become available.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 16, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Genuinely curious what people from Toronto think of this

About Toronto being one of the City-States or the bonus Toronto provides? It'd be pretty hard to treat either as offensive or inaccurate given the size and range of our industry and economy relative to all the rest of Canada.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Lobok posted:

About Toronto being one of the City-States or the bonus Toronto provides? It'd be pretty hard to treat either as offensive or inaccurate given the size and range of our industry and economy relative to all the rest of Canada.

That bonus is also ridiculous when paired with some great engineers that increase the radius of the district buildings. If you do it right you can get most of the cities in your empire in the radius of something like 7 districts. That's an extra 70 production when all is said and done. Ridiculous.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

- At the start of the game when you're a dragon, check the first few bodies and you'll find a melted blade on one of them (hold onto it until you get to the master that requires you to have 15 unique weapons in your inventory)

- Give the fishing minigame a real chance; some love it, some hate it. It's one of the very few ways to get a reliable source of items to restore AP (MP) and it can lead to you getting certain equipment quite a bit earlier than you would normally.

- Want to make the beginning second half of the game easier? After getting past a certain volcano (you'll know when you get there), go north. There's a town there that sells weapons that will hold their own for a while.

- Don't feel bad looking up a guide on masters, some of their requirements are a little obscure or seem pointless. For the first half of the game there aren't any that are really hard to miss except two (if you get a fairy jewel or whatever it's called from hitting a tree with crows in it DO NOT SELL IT OR ELSE YOU WILL MISS OUT ON AN AWESOME MASTER).

- Abuse pilfer, especially on bosses which usually will have stat boosting items on them or gear.

- Speaking of gear, you can change your loadout mid battle, no problem under the item command without wasting a turn.

- All of your party members can be quite good, so don't feel like you're gimping yourself by picking your favourites.

- Near the end of the game you will be told to pray. The game wants you to not do anything for a few seconds here. No there are no real indicators that it wanted you to do this.

- Peco looks awful but actually can become hilariously broken if built a certain way (apprentice under Fahl. Laugh.) due to how his skills scale and incredibly high hp and def growths.

- Alternatively, if you hate peco for any reason, you can always be a little cheesy and not ever level him until you find a master with skills you want right now.

- Skill ink might seem limited, but you can effectively get an unlimited amount through fishing and some vendors.

- I don't think there's many, if any, vendors that sell Coin lures for zenny, so be sure to save before you use it to try to catch a manilo just in case something goes horribly wrong.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Titanfall 2? Looking for suggestions for either single player or multiplayer. Also, never played the first one.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Capsaicin posted:

There is an armor that revives you when dead. There are other means to revive, but wearing that armor allows you to keep all your buffs when you revive. The description is all wrong and mentions something about unlimited skill inks.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Gynovore posted:

I don't know if that's what you meant, but if you really are saying that all sci-fi authors are assholes

Psst: One of the most active areas of ultra-liberal activists is attacking science fiction authors. You should view statements attacking sci-fi authors as along the lines of someone posting a Rachel Maddow video. A group of reactionaries started Sad Puppies which is basically the UKIP to sci-fi writing's Eurozone. It is A Thing. Which is sad, for the reasons you noted.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

revdrkevind posted:

Psst: One of the most active areas of ultra-liberal activists is attacking science fiction authors. You should view statements attacking sci-fi authors as along the lines of someone posting a Rachel Maddow video. A group of reactionaries started Sad Puppies which is basically the UKIP to sci-fi writing's Eurozone. It is A Thing. Which is sad, for the reasons you noted.

Cool, thanks for continuing the derail

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

1redflag posted:

Titanfall 2? Looking for suggestions for either single player or multiplayer. Also, never played the first one.

-The game is actually pretty good about giving you tips relevant to your weapon/loadout/Titan at the beginning of every life, so pay attention to those.

-The floor is lava.

-Don't feel like you always have to ADS like Call of Duty, a surprising number of weapons are just as accurate fired from the hip.

-The floor is lava.

-You actually accelerate when wall-running, with the most speed gained by quick hops between two parallel walls.

-The floor is lava.

-Being a team player directly helps you: pulling an enemy Titan's battery gives you 33% charge on your own Titan meter, and giving that battery to a friendly Titan fills up the remaining 66%.

-The floor is lava.

-The AI Grunts aren't just scenery, killing them adds to your team's score and fills up your Titan meter. The Reapers (the white baby-Titans) are worth five points in Attrition and die quickly if you're in your Titan, but will kill you dead if you're not careful as a Pilot.

-The floor is still lava.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

PJOmega posted:

That's not very fair, there's tens of sci-fi authors that aren't homophobic AND racist AND sexist.

There's Iain M. Banks and there's also me! Why, that's two already!

Capsaicin posted:

Okay son sit right down and let me learn you a thing about one of my favorite games:

Peco is the most broken-rear end motherfucker you will ever see. Recommendations to have him study under Fahl are not made idly, the combination is completely loving ridiculous. (You can also use Giotto to make a pure HP build; Peco has a couple skills that depend on his current HP so even though Giotto reduces his other stat growth you can still end up deadly). He starts off at level 1 and has lovely looking stats and like no gear. This is a trick. In addition to being a badass tank, put him on point in the Attack formation and he will, if I remember right, counter every attack he takes.

Pretty much anyone can actually get broken once you know what you're doing with them, but Peco's simplest I think.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mister Adequate posted:

Pretty much anyone can actually get broken once you know what you're doing

All you really need to know about Breath of Fire 3 is that it's not hard, and most of it is chill as hell, so relax and enjoy yourself.

It's basically a JRPG road trip.

Edit: To clarify, this is the reason it's still one of my favorite games; I can find a game where I save the world anywhere. A game that just follows the misadventures of a JRPG party is still pretty drat unique.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 17, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Avernum 2: Crystal Souls, particularly with regards to trap builds and skills (eg going throwing weapons in the first one)? I played 1 but it was years ago and have no idea if any rebalancing took place so better provide complete newbie tips.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't touched a Battlefield game since Bad Company 2. Any multiplayer tips for the new one, Battlefield 1? Good gravy i'm awful at this game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Keeshhound posted:

All you really need to know about Breath of Fire 3 is that it's not hard, and most of it is chill as hell, so relax and enjoy yourself.

Yeah that's fair, the few things that are genuinely difficult can typically be overcome very easily just by going to the nearest town and buying an appropriate elemental resist armor.

Oh though one thing: At one point in the game you'll be tasked with trekking through an enormous desert. This is actually really cool in principle, except you'll get directions and those directions are incorrect, which caused no end of rage to people like me back in the day. I can't honestly remember the details of what's wrong and what's right off the top of my head, but when you get there, just look up online what you're supposed to do.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mayor McCheese posted:

I haven't touched a Battlefield game since Bad Company 2. Any multiplayer tips for the new one, Battlefield 1? Good gravy i'm awful at this game.

Gas Grenades are great for both racking up points and ruining people who won't put on their Gas mask.
On that note, if you're near gas put your loving gas mask on.

Anything explosive will damage behemoths, and you kind of need to bring them down with concentrated fire, so don't be the guy who refuses to swap to something with anti-tank damage (or a vehicle) to kill them in a semi-timely manner.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mayor McCheese posted:

Like in BC2, always press Q on everything.

The support's and medic's starting weapons are kind of lacking. For the support, the Benet-Mercie is basically a straight upgrade to the starter gun, for the medic it's the Selbstlader.

Behemoths have certain weak spots that can be destroyed for a chunk of extra damage. For the Zeppelin that's the nose, tail, and a section of hull on each flank right above the engines. For the train it's the individual wagons, and for the dreadnought it's the very front and back of the hull. Additionally, you can destroy turrets and gondolas to disable them temporarily.

In many situations, the thrown ammo and health packs are actually better than the bigger crates. A single pack will usually completely refill a teammate over the course of a few seconds, while the crates need way longer.

All the elite classes (that can be picked up on the map) and cavalry have body armour, meaning they can take way more punishment than usual. However, they still have weaknesses: A bayonet charge can kill all of them instantly (cavalry only when on foot, of course), and regular melee attacks are surprisingly powerful as well. Additionally, the Sentry (big armoured guy with a heavy MG/MP) cannot put on a gas mask, so gas is a good counter against him.

When you're on fire, you take less damage from it when you're prone, and more the faster you're moving. So stop, drop, and roll as soon as you're out of the radius of whatever set you on fire in the first place.

Only the pilot/tanker class can repair vehicles from the inside, so don't hop into burning tanks as an infantryman expecting to fix them up.

Infantry guns actually do fairly decent damage against planes, particularly the support's LMGs and the scout's K-bullets. So if a plane is annoying you, just light it up to drive it away.

You can rotate infantry guns more quickly by pressing A/D instead of turning only with the mouse.

And last but not least, the bayonet is life. Put your trust into it, and it will not let you down.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Always be spotting.

Get a friend or two to join you, the game is infinitely more fun when you have a squad to coordinate with and spawn on (and occasionally fully crew a tank with).

If you're in a vehicle, don't be afraid to back off to repair yourself. Getting yourself blown up because you just had to finish off that one dude means that your team will have to deal with being down a vehicle until it respawns. Repairing also works differently in this game; instead of slowly restoring the vehicle's HP, you fill up a bar and then the vehicle gains a bunch of HP at once. The bar gets interrupted if you get hit, so you'll have to get pretty out of sight to make a full repair.

Big change from BF4 (don't know about BC2): if you're in a close-range firefight and use up all your ammo but the enemy has a sliver of health left, melee him. Unlike BF4, melees from the front are completely safe and deal flat damage depending on your melee weapon, so they'll instakill anyone at low health.

Elite classes don't regenerate health on their own, but they will if a medic drops health for them. If you've got a friendly elite class nearby and you're a medic, be the guy who saves his rear end. If you're a cavalry don't forget you can drop health for yourself!

Don't snipe, sniping is for cowards who don't play the objective.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 17, 2016

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Anything for the newest Ratchet & Clank on PS4? Is there a way to run out of weapon upgrade materials?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the tips!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Don't snipe, sniping is for cowards who don't play the objective.

It's the only thing I'm good at. :cry:

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
For Breath of Fire 3 I remember something about a duel involving Garr. Afterward you can check some poor bastard's corpse for an amazingly strong spear. The only drawback is losing a little HP every turn. But that's all I remember about the item.

The instructions I remember for making sushi were not very clear. You must keep adding rice until the rice ball is big enough to reasonably place your tuna onto. Then you add vinegar in the recommended ratio, I think. I had no idea what I was actually making as a kid and thought like 4 or 5 rice was enough. It had me stuck for a while.

Anyone with a better memory is welcome to clarify this. They were two big things for me at the time.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mayor McCheese posted:

It's the only thing I'm good at. :cry:

Most of the time it's better to have bad people on a point than it is to have a dozen good snipers. If you're good at headshotting guys, take one of the semi-auto rifles and head shot them from closer up. It'll still benefit your marksmanship but you'll be useful to your team.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Zaodai posted:

Most of the time it's better to have bad people on a point than it is to have a dozen good snipers. If you're good at headshotting guys, take one of the semi-auto rifles and head shot them from closer up. It'll still benefit your marksmanship but you'll be useful to your team.

Agreed. In the few games I'm good at sniping, I find that I remain far more effective if I just take a battle rifle or marksman's rifle for midrange strikes.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Zomborgon posted:

Agreed. In the few games I'm good at sniping, I find that I remain far more effective if I just take a battle rifle or marksman's rifle for midrange strikes.
I think I remember a story in one of these threads about a a FPS player named "The Commissar" going around executing snipers on his own team for cowardice... It caught on and other random players on his team started doing it, too. And then their team started kicking rear end because there were suddenly a lot fewer dipshits hiding around contributing nothing except to their own K/D ratio.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Random Hajile posted:

I think I remember a story in one of these threads about a a FPS player named "The Commissar" going around executing snipers on his own team for cowardice... It caught on and other random players on his team started doing it, too. And then their team started kicking rear end because there were suddenly a lot fewer dipshits hiding around contributing nothing except to their own K/D ratio.

That's hilarious. Happen to know where to read about this?

VVV Still pretty funny.

Largejaroalmonds fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 18, 2016

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Largejaroalmonds posted:

That's hilarious. Happen to know where to read about this?
Found it! It wasn't quite as I remembered, but still good:

Agean90 posted:

A year or so back I was playing MAG on my friends PS3. My account name on it is Anti-Lincoln. For those of you who don't know, MAG is a Multiplayer FPS that has games with 164 players in them at once. To make this easier, players are divided into squads of eight, with platoons of 4 squads, and a company of 4 platoons. Each of these have leaders.

One game was going poorly. We were attackers, held up at a bunker, which in mag has a huge fuckoff chaingun turret on it. Several teammates were sniping ineffectively, leaving many of us incapable of destroying the bunker due to lack of numbers. Our squad leader was useless, either sniping or wasting his support actions (Bombing runs, uav, etc) In areas were weren't actually attacking. We lost that game. And the next game, I was the Squad Leader. I grabbed my mic and decided to have fun.

"Men, I am Political Officer Anti-Lincoln. Cowards will be shot. That is all" I said in a cheesy Russian accent. And lo and behold, more crappy snipers.

"SNIPING IS COWARDICE. COWARDS WILL BE SHOT"

Some quality time with my pistol later, and my team now had 3 team killed snipers waiting to revive. They tried fighting back, they really did, but their snipers, and lack practice at not getting shot. Treason was a form of cowardice after all. Many teamkills and some swearing directed my way later ("INSUBORDINATION IS COWARDICE") I noticed that we were winning, no doubt due to my tireless war against COWARDICE! causing most of our snipers to either quit or actually move towards the bunker. That round we won, and found myself wishing I could blast music from the Red Army Orchestra into my mic in celebration.

A few games later of this, and my speech suddenly had a response from 2 other players.

"And we're his Lieutenants. If he cant get to you, we will"

:ussr:

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 18, 2016

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

Edit: To clarify, this is the reason it's still one of my favorite games; I can find a game where I save the world anywhere. A game that just follows the misadventures of a JRPG party is still pretty drat unique.

Yeah, I agree with this totally. It's a chill game where you aren't trying to save the world, you aren't trying to save the princess, there's no love sub-plot and you get to turn into a badass dragon at will. A lot of games could learn from it to be honest.

edit: Also (even though I have played a decent amount of it, but mostly want to see everyone else's opinion) does anyone have any tips for Geneforge? Like specifically any real pitfalls for character builds?Is it ever worth levelling up your creations instead of absorbing and recreating them? I have the full series, so are there entries I should avoid specifically or make absolute sure I play? So far I've enjoyed the kind of moral gray area the story has brought up multiple times and basically playing pokemon: the crpg.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 18, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Avernum 2: Crystal Souls, particularly with regards to trap builds and skills (eg going throwing weapons in the first one)? I played 1 but it was years ago and have no idea if any rebalancing took place so better provide complete newbie tips.
Not sure about trap builds (throwing is probably still bad) but all the "get less XP" builds are actually far better than they look at first glance due to the way the game handles experience. Making up entire party of lizards and kittens with natural mage / natural warrior traits is perfectly viable / better than a pure Aryan human party.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Recently unlocked the job system in Dragon Quest VII for 3DS. Any tips on some fun or interesting vocations to target? Not necessarily looking to break the game (in fact, I'd prefer the game be tougher).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Count Chocula posted:

Anything for the newest Ratchet & Clank on PS4? Is there a way to run out of weapon upgrade materials?

If I remember right you are unlikely (it might actually be impossible or it might require a ton of grinding, I forget) to upgrade everything over the course the game, although you can certainly come close. But there is a new game + and you can carry your upgrades over. I am pretty sure that I got the platinum trophy and honestly nothing is jumping out at me as must-know. There are a couple of the collectables that are permanently missable (until the new game +), specifically in the first level (the assault course bit closes permanently after the tutorial) and I think the factory level (theres a section where you control Clank that you cant get back to later) but aside from those you can revisit planets to do stuff you missed (and sometimes you need gear from a later world to get some collectables so you have to go back if you want them).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone got anything for the current HITMAN? Just bought in while it's on sale.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ciaphas posted:

You'll have to dig around in here or ask in the hitman thread, but by default there are a lot of hints and assists turned on.

If you feel like it's too easy, they can be turned off. I like my games easy though, so I have no idea what settings to change.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Does Shadow Complex come before or after Empire? I've heard it both ways so I'm not sure. Shadow Complex is an incredibly fun game so far. Really nice that the guns have infinite ammo.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Ciaphas posted:

Save often and experiment. Try to scout around on your first visit to an area to find where opportunities pop up and where you can find disguises and weapons. I would recommend not trying to be a perfect stealth assassin on your first playthrough of an area because there are a lot of unknowns (it's not impossible or particularly difficult, just don't pull your hair out when you could just stab a guard and make things easier). Security guards and military personnel can have big guns and people won't panic, but big guns are highly situational and if you're using them you probably have a purpose. During your prep before a mission, I find the lockpick and the lethal poison you can dose drinks with to be the best things to bring. The lockpick means never having to scour an area for a tiny object, although it will raise suspicions if someone sees you use it. Coins are fairly common and the piano wire is really only useful for getting certain assassination challenges, as there are plentiful other silent ways of killing a person. Grab everything you can; having a pool ball or can of soup means you can knock people out at a distance, and having two means you can clear a room from the doorway. People say to turn off the hints, but I would recommend against that until you've played an area at least once. Following an opportunity can teach you how to get very useful disguises or move targets around into more desirable deathtraps, and they earn you experience at the end of the stage to unlock new starting locations and outfits, as well as new weapons and tools to bring with you (this is where the lethal poison comes from, you won't have it in the beginning). Make rolling saves to compliment the autosaves because you might realize something and not want to wait for the target to circle the whole map before going back to stand under a chandelier. Interact with everything at least once to know what it does.

There are a few "conditions" you can be in, which will be displayed about the minimap. Trespassing means you aren't dressed for the area and everyone knows it; Suspicious means someone saw you do something and they will approach you, but you can usually run away from them and they'll go back to normal; Searching means people are looking for the source of a noise or a murderer(!), but it doesn't mean they've pegged you so you can casually stroll away; Compromised means someone knows that the assassin is wearing what you are wearing and they can tell others, but if you knock that person out and hide the body (hidden bodies are never found), you are no longer compromised; Combat means you hosed up and people nearby will come to investigate, but you can hide or blend in or change costumes if you're quick enough.

It's a good game, and this is nothing you won't learn after playing a few stages. One last tip that you, having the whole season all at once, might overlook: play the stages multiple times. Look for silly costumes and take risks. Try the sniping challenges, or bring only explosives. It's very much a sandbox game but if you're doing everything in a linear fashion and not going back, you're missing out on unlockable equipment as well as the little details in each stage. If all else fails, just shoot the target and run away. A few times I've been cornered with a bad costume or just frustrated with trying to get the perfect assassination that I just stand around a corner where no one's looking at me, draw the ol' Silverballer and dome my target. Holster the gun and no one will be the wiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

Does Shadow Complex come before or after Empire? I've heard it both ways so I'm not sure. Shadow Complex is an incredibly fun game so far. Really nice that the guns have infinite ammo.

I think the intro of the game where you play as a random dude is meant to be a scene from Empire but I'm not sure. My best guess would be that both kind of happen concurrently with Empire's finale being the end of the story proper.

It has been a long time since I played or read, but that is kind of what I tooj away from it.