Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It's pretty similar to how it was on release, tbh. I think there have been some quality of life upgrades and a few more materials/upgrades, but it's basically the same beast.

E. Re: No Man's Sky

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I picked up Mass Effect Andromeda today, for Xbone. Anything I should know?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

It's pretty much another mass effect game, but one thing to keep in mind is that when you go to a new planet beating its story mission before you faff about exploring and side-questing will =help you out considerably in some combination of making the area more navigable as well as contributing a huge chunk of points to upgrades on the planet.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Some of the tips for xcom: enemy unknown leave a little to be desired...

"A powerful psychic is just as amazing in this game as it was in the first one."

Ok I mean I never played the first one but I think the gist is that they're good?

"Beelining for lasers is as good an idea now as it was in 1994."

Again, I never played the first one. Sounds like going for lasers is good?

"It's all but impossible to research everything in a normal game, so don't stress out about it, just research what you think you'll need."

Is this true? I'm at what I think is a point of no return I have a soldier that can use the gollop facility, but it seems like i can just keep scanning for activity and ignore advancing the plot.

I'm playing on normal difficulty, if that matters.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

The beforeiplay entry mostly has it covered but I'll add a couple things.

Your first respec is stupid cheap so you can and should try out a lot of different skills and profiles when it's cheap to get those skills to see what you like and then respec to focus more on the ones you like once you've figured things out more.

You can change your profile and skill set up mid battle (though it resets your power cool downs) so you can definitely do long range sniping as an Infiltrator before switching to Vanguard and charging in for close range. There's a favorites menu that makes this easier.

Power combos are an important part of builds that aren't focused on weapons so experiment. Some powers are primers, which set up a combo, and others are detonators, which trigger the combo. Whatever the primer is (biotic, cryo, flame or tech) determines what kind of combo you get. With the cheap respec, I encourage you to experiment a lot in the early levels to see what you like.

If you don't see certain weapons in the research menu, it's because they're part of the set of basic blueprints that unlock new levels at different level milestones. Find them in development.

Augmentations are the very definition of hit or miss. Some augments (beam emitter) don't seem to work at all, and others pair horribly with certain weapons but great with others. You can dismantle a crafted gun to get the augment back along with part of the minerals.

Your first two cryo pod perks should be the laboratories and the hidden caches and everything else after that to taste. Hidden caches will only provide weapons up to the level you can currently research (for example, Lv IV won't appear until level 20) so consider holding off on hidden caches if you have enough guns for the time being.

Finding guns in the wild or buying them is a good way to try out different weapons before investing research and minerals into a crafted version. Remnant guns don't spawn in the wild, or at least after 65 hours I've never seen them.

And finally my personal take as far as choosing what to do and what not to do: You definitely don't have to do all tasks. If you want to get a new batch of quests and advance some long term ones, doing a main story mission will often bring about a new set of content. I also prioritized finding different worlds so that I could change the scenery if needed.

There's certainly some jankiness and weird bits, but overall I find it to be very fun.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Some of the tips for xcom: enemy unknown leave a little to be desired...

I don't have editing rights on the wiki but I'd pare it down to this personally:

quote:

The most important upgrades from the Officer Training School are the ones that increase party size. Get them ASAP.
No one is invincible, but Rookies are cheap.
SHIVs take a lot to build. By the time you've gotten them formidable, they're probably outclassed by just about everything, so either be ready to throw yourself into SHIV research, or don't feel bad about passing them up.
Interrogations usually make research in some other area go quicker, so do those first when you can.
Assaults can equip rifles in place of their default shotgun. A shotgun Assault plays completely differently from a Rifle one, and using one like the other will quickly get them killed.
There's an Assault skill that makes the first Reaction Shot against that character each round miss. Get it, it increases their survivability by leaps and bounds, and the other skill is only good with a very specific, specialized build.
A powerful psychic is extremely good and it can be worth training one up before the story requires you to.
If you want to break the game in half: Get a Sniper with Squadsight, drat Good Ground, Double Tap, put them somewhere high up, and rejoice in your angel of death.
Always, always be ready to fire 2-3 satellites into orbit at the drop of a hat. Get your engineers going early (and make sure you have a lot of them!) and make uplink construction a priority.
Countries with 5 panic dots will leave XCOM at the end of the month. Satellites placed in a country reduce panic a little immediately. You don't get any income from them until the monthly report. Therefore, a good idea is to hold onto your satellites until the day before the report, and launch them into any countries with full panic.
If you haven't spotted aliens yet, best thing to do is take your move action and Overwatch with everyone. Don't dash into unknown territory.
Flank, flank, flank. If you sit around taking potshots from cover for ages you'll get nowhere.
Beelining for lasers is a good strategy, the increase in killing power is extremely noticable and being able to reliably kill Thin Men in a single shot is a massive boon.

Attempting to get rid of the "obvious enough it doesn't need to be stated" information and give a little more context to the vague tips.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

I don't have editing rights on the wiki but I'd pare it down to this personally:

Attempting to get rid of the "obvious enough it doesn't need to be stated" information and give a little more context to the vague tips.

I have login, I'll update it today. Good list

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"Obvious enough to not be worth mentioning" is always kind of an iffy proposition because there's a pretty big difference between "obvious to someone who has played the series before and is just looking for extra tips for this particular game" and "obvious to someone who has never played a game like this at all."

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Cardiovorax posted:

"Obvious enough to not be worth mentioning" is always kind of an iffy proposition because there's a pretty big difference between "obvious to someone who has played the series before and is just looking for extra tips for this particular game" and "obvious to someone who has never played a game like this at all."

I'm aware, but stuff like "an enemy type that shows up after like 5 hours of playing is not a pussy" is not particularly useful, while "flank the enemy!" is super obvious to most people but worth reiterating.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Count Uvula posted:

This is a good improvement imo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tollymain posted:

caves of qud is gamma world reimagined by a poet and packaged as a roguelike

That's very good, especially the poet bit. It's beautifully written.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There's nothing on the wiki for Diablo 3 - any tips?

I've played Diablo 1 & 2, Torchlight 1 & 2 and Path of Exile. I'm not really fussed about endgame or min/maxing. I basically just want to click on things, make stuff die and ideally have fun without thinking about it too much.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I've played Diablo 1 & 2, Torchlight 1 & 2 and Path of Exile. I'm not really fussed about endgame or min/maxing. I basically just want to click on things, make stuff die and ideally have fun without thinking about it too much.

- Set your gameplay settings to Elective Mode so that you can use as many abilities of one type as you want. Set cutscenes to auto-skip so that you never have to see the story.
- Normal is literally for people who have never played a video game before. D3 has very customizable difficulty settings and you should switch them up freely whenever things start to get too hard or too easy.
- If you make a new character on the seasonal ladder, you'll get a free starter set for accomplishing some very easy tasks. This set rotates every new season and is active for all classes. Basically Always Play Seasons.
- Save your legendaries with interesting effects while leveling because you can later extract their powers from the cube.
- Don't overthink gear and skills too much while leveling, just go with whatever gives you the most green numbers and cool effects.
- Completing the rotating weekly challenge rift can start you out with a lot of solid crafting mats prior to hitting 70 with your first character.
- Save your blood shards until level 70 and then try to gamble up the cheapest power increase for your class (so orbs for Wizards, quivers for DH, shields for Crusaders, etc.)
- The fastest way to level is just to run regular rifts on the seasonal ladder, or have someone power you to 70 in 15 minutes.

Lots of other little things along the way but that should get you started! There's a D3 thread in the Blizzard subforum if you have any more detailed questions.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

- Normal is literally for people who have never played a video game before. D3 has very customizable difficulty settings and you should switch them up freely whenever things start to get too hard or too easy.

I'll second this. I'm a babby who plays most games on easy and even I bump it up to at least hard. Normal mode is joke difficulty, and also hard gives you a 75% xp boost (I think--haven't read the tooltip in a season or two) so there's absolutely no reason to play on normal unless you like, forgot to equip a weapon and you're having trouble with a boss

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

In addition to what other people have said:

Change your game mode from Story (I think it is) to Adventure, which unlocks all the waypoints, gives you world quest type objectives for bonus loot, unlocks all the mercenaries for use immediately, etc. You'll level much faster and really since you've played the first two Diablos, you get the jist of whats going to happen in the story anyway.
You have to leave game to up the difficulty, but not to lower it. If you end up raising it a bit too high you can lower it in anything but a rift, so no harm there.
There is a small benefit to loot from being able to farm on at least Torment I difficulty, but honestly don't worry about that, just play on whatever difficulty is fun for the gear you have (though as others have said, Normal is a joke).
If you play on Seasonal, it'll give you an extra set of objectives that as you complete them unlock you a set for whatever class you're playing. You only get this bonus once per season, but it's a nice gift to get you started once you hit max level.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just worth mentioning that you can't unlock Adventure mode until you beat the campaign once. you can always ask someone else to boost you through the campaign with a higher-levelled character, however, and there's almost always someone willing to help out a lowbie. You only ever have to do it once though, so if you want to get another character going, jump into a game with some higher-level characters, leach XP and items and watch your levels skyrocket.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I would not suggest skipping the campaign. It gives you time to try new builds and skills while gradually ramping up the difficulty and adding more enemy varieties as you go, and the game has some absolutely beautiful set pieces and zones that are imo best seen in the order they are presented.

Adventure mode is the way to play when you're into the "I'm playing Diablo now" stage, but doing it first by boosting through with a friend cheapens the very high production value of the campaign, even if the story is a series of cliches.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Anything for Valkyrie Profile: Leneth? The wiki is barebones.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Never play the game on easy, it cuts out a bunch of content. Normal and hard have some different dungeons, and some aspects of the game are randomized; it's meant to be replayable.

The big thing with the game is that you'll probably need an FAQ if you want to see the best ending, it's some baroque nonsense.

I'd recommend playing the game once on normal just playing by ear while you figure out the systems. There's a bad ending if you mess up too bad, but it's extremely hard to get unintentionally.

Also, on hard mode every character starts at level 1, which means it's harder to level up more characters, but everyone gets more skill points so it's not actually harder than normal for the most part.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Need some DLC recommendations for Stellaris. Played a bit of vanilla, I want to start it up again.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

What Twitch said, but to add to the difficulty stuff, the game gets easier on Hard compared to Easy or Normal, because you have access to more content/dungeons/gear. It's an odd design choice.

The secret ending/dungeon requires Hard mode and a guide. It's nearly impossible without one as there's weird poo poo like not visiting parts of the map until certain chapters, sending certain characters with certain skill sets to war, and other pointless poo poo.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm a little unclear of what the core loop is. Am I supposed to go to every location? Hut each new dungeon as I find them? Re run old dungeons? Do I only get recruits when I have visions about them?

Remote User posted:

Need some DLC recommendations for Stellaris. Played a bit of vanilla, I want to start it up again.

Check the thread, it has a great breakdown of what dlc does what and why you'd want them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850079&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 29, 2018

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

I'm a little unclear of what the core loop is. Am I supposed to go to every location? Hut each new dungeon as I find them? Re run old dungeons? Do I only get recruits when I have visions about them?

Bare with me here as it's been a long rear end time since I played it. But from what I can recall you start a chapter by scanning for souls/recruits, level them up to hit a threshold required for the war, ascend them, and start the next chapter.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Outside of a couple points where the game shakes things up, you generally will get a vision for every recruitment event/dungeon. Once you've exhausted all of the visions for a given chapter, you can re-run dungeons if you really need the experience, but bosses and treasure don't respawn, only the regular enemies. Generally you'll find everything and have a bunch of time left because the game gives you a buffer in case you die in a dungeon and have to try it again.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Valkyria and Angrim are your core party members, and you should have a rotating cast because you'll be constantly sending people up, and in some chapters the people you recruit aren't the best to send up (also, they start from level 1 in hard mode, so you may take a bit to power them up).

Pay attention to the skills Freya (maybe? It's been a while), recruit everyone and then decide who are you sending, leveling them up as you go.

IIRC, you should not send artifacts up? If you're doing well Odin will be happy anyway.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Got one for Pillars of Eternity (first one):

There is no post game, and some of the side quests and dlc affect your outcome in the ending, so if you care about a narratively cohesive experience, wrap up everything you care about before crossing the point of no return. The game warns you before you cross it, and automatically makes a separate save for you to come back to if you want to keep playing, so it’s not the end of the world to do things out of order, but I think it’s worth knowing.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Got one for Pillars of Eternity (first one):

There is no post game, and some of the side quests and dlc affect your outcome in the ending, so if you care about a narratively cohesive experience, wrap up everything you care about before crossing the point of no return. The game warns you before you cross it, and automatically makes a separate save for you to come back to if you want to keep playing, so it’s not the end of the world to do things out of order, but I think it’s worth knowing.

While there is no DLC for the game (yet) this also applies to the second in full.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone played the Combat Mission games sold on battlefront.com? Their website doesn't even have https and the price seems a bit steep, but it looks like something I'd seriously enjoy.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

rt4 posted:

Anyone played the Combat Mission games sold on battlefront.com? Their website doesn't even have https and the price seems a bit steep, but it looks like something I'd seriously enjoy.

The Grog game swears by them. I also was put off by their incredibly lovely, 1990s website, but apparently they are legitimate (if incredibly groggy). Up to you whether they're worth that price and potential risk, though. You should probably swing by the Grog games thread and see if they can recommend one specifically. Also I think most of them have demos?

[EDIT] Grog game thread

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Anything for Everspace or it's DLC, Everspace: Encounters?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

1redflag posted:

It plays similar in core loop to FTL. It's a permadeath roguelite with macro advancement.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

1redflag posted:

It's about blowing things up in space in arcadey first-person perspective, dying frequently, and purchasing upgrades between deaths. I absolutely love it.
Expect to use keyboard and mouse rather than a controller. Graphics are awesome, but it works pretty well on my slow, fanless GT1030 after I turn down a few settings.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

rt4 posted:

It's about blowing things up in space in arcadey first-person perspective, dying frequently, and purchasing upgrades between deaths. I absolutely love it.
Expect to use keyboard and mouse rather than a controller. Graphics are awesome, but it works pretty well on my slow, fanless GT1030 after I turn down a few settings.

Did you get the dlc? If so, is it worth it?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yes, and I'd say it's worth it if you already like the base game. It provides more variety in the experience. If you've already beaten the main game and can't handle more repetition, you'll be disappointed that the addon content mixes in with the base game instead of being its own campaign.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Anyone got some advice specific to Yakuza Kiwami that's not in the wiki for Yakuza?

I'm like 4~5 hours in, at the point where I'm not being railroaded and can wander around town. A decent amount of stuff has been added to my knowledge (I haven't played the original) and some stuff has changed (the dog food wasn't at Don Quixote, I wanna say it was at the convenience store near Shine?).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Basically what was already said but I'll try to be a bit clearer: If you only want to play through the game once, but want to see most of the plot, just play on hard and read a guide from the word go. This is not ideal and the game was obviously meant to be played multiple times, but it will work.

If you're going to do it the hard way, play on normal once and then hard once. You will still need a guide on the second playthrough to get the last ending but this time it won't ruin the magic of the game, which imo is figuring out exactly what the hell is going on, and discovering all the stories scattered around the world. The game is pretty idiot-proof so you're free to just experiment with what different options do as you go, and you can pretty much use anyone you want in your party although some characters are clearly better than others, and some are obviously suited for the chapter requirements.

Once you're playing hard mode the secret is that characters starting at level 1 is actually beneficial to you, because you can get several accessories that give boosts on level up, meaning more levels to grow is always better.

Oh, and it's not strictly necessary but I would eventually, maybe for the second playthrough, look up how to unlock the best crafting items because that is also a completely opaque process that gives you some really cool poo poo.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Tell me what the gently caress is going on with Baroque (specifically the PS2 version.)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nohman posted:

Tell me what the gently caress is going on with Baroque (specifically the PS2 version.)

What specifically are you looking to know and what have you done in the game so far? It's a difficult game to cover, because the whole thing's so loving obtuse. Anyway, a couple of brief tips:

Each time you get to the end of a loop, you meet the Absolute God. The first time you reach God, shoot her with the gun. That starts your second playthrough, where the depth of the tower increases a bunch of floors. Once you reach God that time, walk into her for a few seconds. That starts your third loop. After that, it's just a case of continually fighting your way to the bottom of the tower again and again, increasing the depth of the tower and either killing or walking into the Absolute God.

Talk to everyone around town repeatedly, either after a loop or dying. You need to do certain things to progress the game there as well. For example, when you talk to Longneck after reaching the bottom of the tower enough, he will bury himself in the ground. Hit him and you'll get an item. Throw it at everyone to get different reactions, but save the hulking Angel in town for last.

When the girl says she wants 'Pure Water', she means the item called "Your Sephirah". You'll get that after the Angel buries himself. The item respawns in the room you find it, so don't worry about losing it if you die.

The huge spiky orbs in the tower are Memory Orbs. They store items for your next run, but they can only hold one item at a time. There's always one on the final floor, so if you have a good weapon or armour, toss it in. You can pick it up from the Collector in town.

Don't even think about trying to collect all the voice samples. Most of them require very precise/counter-intuitive actions to get, and you need to do three entire playthroughs to get everything.

Most of the tips above won't make sense until you get to the parts where they come into play. If you need something less general and more of a direct 'do this then this' breakdown, I can help out with that too. The game is not player-friendly in the slightest.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The game is not player-friendly in the slightest.
Sting games :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nohman posted:

The game isn't supposed to make sense and being lost and confused is central to your engagement with the setting. I didn't play it long enough to have any better tips so I'd listen to the above, but if you're saying "what the gently caress is going on", you're getting it.