Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Krazyface posted:

The final boss is an absolute fucker, and you shouldn't feel bad when you lose to it.

Also, the methods to unlock new ships are kind of convoluted; you should just look them up (after you've done a run or two).

It's also worth being aware that the final boss is sufficiently unlike the rest of the game's encounters that if you give it a few shots and are still stuck and insanely frustrated, boss guides will make your life tremendously easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Omi no Kami posted:

It's also worth being aware that the final boss is sufficiently unlike the rest of the game's encounters that if you give it a few shots and are still stuck and insanely frustrated, boss guides will make your life tremendously easier.

Yeah, FTL is really two games - the game up until the boss fight, and the boss fight. It's extremely easy to succeed at the former and not the latter. I think the first couple runs are fine to do blind, but if you really need help with the boss, don't feel any shame about looking up tips for the boss specifically.

For example,
the boss is nearly unbeatable without a teleporter and a boarding party to take out the crew, and it's great to have a cloak to activate specifically when the boss goes missile-crazy. But don't kill the whole crew because the boss can activate an auto-pilot without them and run everything without crew. So pick the least hurtful isolated weapon pod, kill everyone but that guy with boarders so they have one guy and aren't on autopilot, then the boss is in its weakest state.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 20, 2019

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I just found out about this thread and wiki in the PYF little things in games thread; thank you for this amazing resource! I'm looking forward to using it for all the games I bought and don't know where to begin playing.

We were asked to post here with any changes for the wiki, so here's mine: In Stardew Valley, you can talk to Robin the carpenter to move buildings once they've been built on your farm. The tips "Some decisions are permanent" and "If you do gently caress up" mention farm buildings being entirely unmovable.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

We were asked to post here with any changes for the wiki, so here's mine: In Stardew Valley, you can talk to Robin the carpenter to move buildings once they've been built on your farm. The tips "Some decisions are permanent" and "If you do gently caress up" mention farm buildings being entirely unmovable.
While we're at it, was this originally true but changed in a post-launch patch, or was it entirely a submitter mistake?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

gohuskies posted:

Yeah, FTL is really two games - the game up until the boss fight, and the boss fight. It's extremely easy to succeed at the former and not the latter. I think the first couple runs are fine to do blind, but if you really need help with the boss, don't feel any shame about looking up tips for the boss specifically.

For example,
the boss is nearly unbeatable without a teleporter and a boarding party to take out the crew, and it's great to have a cloak to activate specifically when the boss goes missile-crazy. But don't kill the whole crew because the boss can activate an auto-pilot without them and run everything without crew. So pick the least hurtful isolated weapon pod, kill everyone but that guy with boarders so they have one guy and aren't on autopilot, then the boss is in its weakest state.

Exactly, the boss has some very explicit mechanics that it neither indicates, nor really even hints at. (Big ol' mechanical spoiler follows): if you kill 100% of the boss's crew the AI will take over and turn it into a death machine, but if you take care to leave at least one crew member alive, the lack of sufficient manpower will effectively cripple it.

Also yeah, boarding parties are super OP- I don't want to say they quite trivialize the game, but they make large portions of it significantly easier.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Pierzak posted:

While we're at it, was this originally true but changed in a post-launch patch, or was it entirely a submitter mistake?

Yeah it was true in 1.0, not entirely sure which patch added the ability to move buildings. In the original release you had to manually edit your save if you wanted to move a building.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Exactly, the boss has some very explicit mechanics that it neither indicates, nor really even hints at. (Big ol' mechanical spoiler follows): if you kill 100% of the boss's crew the AI will take over and turn it into a death machine, but if you take care to leave at least one crew member alive, the lack of sufficient manpower will effectively cripple it.

Also yeah, boarding parties are super OP- I don't want to say they quite trivialize the game, but they make large portions of it significantly easier.

Boarding parties are essential but boarding drones are also great. I don't know if they outweigh the benefits of sending 2 rock or mantis crews over after the requisite upgrades though.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I just finished my fourth run and first Maddening run of Three Houses so I thought I'd rewrite the entry for it to reflect Maddening and a few things I wish I had known for my first run.

quote:

Difficulty:
-You can change difficulty to be lower than what you started with, but you can't move it up. Hard isn't actually that hard, and is honestly what I recommend for a new player and if its too much, you can always bump down to Normal, though such a reduction would be irreversible.
-Maddening is a good challenge but it definitely expects you to be very familiar with the game and the maps. If you're going to play Maddening, then I suggest looking up what triggers reinforcements in paralogues and story missions if you're not familiar. It can be really easy to trip up on a trigger and then get absolutely mauled in a way that ends up feeling incredibly arbitrary.
-If you play Classic, then characters that die (after you unlock Divine Pulse) will be "dead." They won't actually die in the narrative and will still show up from time to time when the story demands it, but they'll be unavailable for battle and you won't be able to get any supports for them. This includes students who die when being borrowed from another house. Casual just resurrects everybody at the end of a battle. If you're thinking Classic will be some emotional roller coaster where you tearfully say goodbye to your dear students... it's not that. It's just added challenge.

Recruiting/Support:
-Recruiting people from other houses has to do with a combination of your stats, skills and support level (Sylvain is free if you-'re playing as female Byleth). Having support level at B means that the person in question has a chance to randomly ask to join your class, but they may still refuse a direct request if your skills and stats aren't high enough. Ferdinand and Caspar cannot be brought up to support level B before the opportunity to recruit closes so you will have to invest in their required skills at least a little in order to recruit them.
-Who wants which gifts can be sussed out most of the time, and virtually all gift preferences are hinted at in one conversation or another in a support scene or in the monastery. However, there are hundreds of supports and it will take you ages and multiple playthroughs to see all of them, so if you're truly stumped, consider just looking at a guide to see who likes what.
-There's obvious ways to build support points that you'll be shown during tutorialization, but also there are some other ways that can help. Characters using Rally, Heal or Dance on other characters builds support, as does attacking an enemy within the other characters range. Having one character as the adjutant of the other also builds support between them. This can be really helpful for pairs of units who don't have easily procured meals that they both enjoy. It can also be useful to borrow a student you wish to recruit and then attach them to Byleth.
-You can recruit everybody if you want to, but you don't need to and probably shouldn't. The maximum you can ever deploy in a battle is 12 units, and most of the time its only 10 or 11. If you do recruit everybody, then you should still pick out about 12 characters to actually focus on as the team members you'll use most often. Spreading your limited training points and battlefield XP opportunities to much more than that can hold your units back.

Battles:
-Some of the best weapons in the game require rare materials to forge or repair. The best way to acquire these materials is by totally breaking the shields of monsters (destroying all four squares of the shield). Area of effect gambits are extremely useful for this purpose. Battles named Monsters In X will often have a lot of monsters in them and can be a great source of materials. Specific types of monsters give specific materials. Mythril is one you're likely going to want more of in the late game, and the big birds give that if you break their shields.
-You can enter a battle and go to the map to check out what types of monsters are available and what kind of loot they carry in a map. If you don't like what you see, you can quit back to the battle selection screen without losing a battle point and choose something else.

Training/Exploration:
-Gardening should be done whenever possible to get meal ingredients or flowers for gifts. The higher the yield, the rarer the ingredients you'll get and also the higher chance of obtaining a stat boost item. It's usually always worth it to do the best cultivation you have available unless you're totally broke.
-Fishing should also be done often to gain professor points. Fistfuls of Fish events will give you more professor points (and more fish) than other fishing days. The giant fish are used for stat boosting meals, and the large and small fish give fish for support building meals.
-You can change goals yourself in the training menu. Students will come up to you and ask to change goals. These requests are essentially random and can be ignored without consequence, especially if you already have training goals in mind for that character.

Misc:
-Just because a weapon isn't the weapon one would normally use for their class doesn't mean they can't be useful with it. In particular, it can pay to have high strength melee characters have a bow available to them because they can still do good damage with it at range even if they don't have the archery-specific bonuses of the archer classes. Equipment's weight only counts against a unit's attack speed if its equipped, so having spare weapons on hand doesn't hurt.
-Class masteries range from almost useless to phenomenal. Intermediate classes have some of the best ones, so it can be worthwhile to finish masteries for a class before switching units to a more advanced class.
-Chest rewards also range from ho-hum to phenomenal. Try to make sure you have a couple people with chest keys on them. Alternatively, bring Ashe or somebody in the Thief or Assassin class.
-Read quest descriptions. Some are very ho hum, but others will say that they unlock new merchants. These are ones you really want to do because they will unlock the ability to buy certain materials, fishing bait, gifts, and lots of other things.
-On the Black Eagles route, it is important to get to C+ support with Edelgard once its available or you may end up locking yourself out of a very important choice later on.
-If you have nothing left to train on a character, consider training them in a skill they'd need for another class you may want to put them in in another playthrough. New Game plus allows you to use renown to buy skill levels a character has already learned in a previous playthrough.
-New Game plus also carries over all battalions, so if you have spare cash and nothing to do with it, consider just buying all the battallions available since you may have use for them in a future playthrough. This is the sort of thing that seems unimportant in a Normal or Hard playthrough but can be extremely useful in a Maddening one.
-You may be asked to pick a character that you have feelings for in Chapter 9. This just determines who talks to you during one scene. It is not the Big Choice of who your romantic partner ends up being. That comes much later. Also you don't have to actually make that choice if you don't want to so if the whole concept of romance in this setting icks you out, don't worry about it.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I updated the Stardew Valley and Fire Emblem: Three Houses pages.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there anything I should know about Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches that isn't covered by general Dishonored stuff on the wiki? Specifically stuff like are there different endings depending on how many people I kill?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

pentyne posted:

Boarding parties are essential but boarding drones are also great. I don't know if they outweigh the benefits of sending 2 rock or mantis crews over after the requisite upgrades though.

I always preferred the mantis crews, but that's mainly because I love using the stealth system, and shields + engines + cloak is already a massive parts sink. (I forget, can you have two drones? Because I know preventing enemy crews from ever outnumbering my guys was also a big plus.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

juliuspringle posted:

Is there anything I should know about Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches that isn't covered by general Dishonored stuff on the wiki? Specifically stuff like are there different endings depending on how many people I kill?
The endings depend on your Chaos level, same as in Dishonored. There are extra achievements for not killing anyone, not alerting anyone and (in Brigmore Witches) ending the game with at least 10 000 gold to spare.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

The endings depend on your Chaos level, same as in Dishonored. There are extra achievements for not killing anyone, not alerting anyone and (in Brigmore Witches) ending the game with at least 10 000 gold to spare.

Being who you are in Knife I wasn't sure if killing still mattered and I wanted to check before I started.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Picked up Tom Calancy's Wildlands to play coop with a friend of mine. I want to squeeze out as much challenging "tacticool" gameplay from it as I can, any suggestions to make it more of a ghost recon game and less of a Michael Bay movie?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Neverwinter Nights EE and 2

How important is synergizing my Class and my Race? For example, Gray Orcs easily sound the most interesting from the blurb I got when I loaded up both games but I really wanna play a Sorcerer.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

How important is synergizing my Class and my Race? For example, Gray Orcs easily sound the most interesting from the blurb I got when I loaded up both games but I really wanna play a Sorcerer.
It can probably work, NWN2 being a party-based game and all, but the -2 charisma will hurt your spellcasting a lot - weaker spells, bigger chance of failure on high-level magic and so on.

It's not about synergy between race and class, but between stats and class - playing a limited-intelligence wizard, limited-strength fighter or a limited-charisma sorcerer can backfire on high levels when these values are actually needed. You can mitigate this to an extent by items but I sadly don't remember that much of NWN2's inventory.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 22, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

no race is interesting

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Picked up Tom Calancy's Wildlands to play coop with a friend of mine. I want to squeeze out as much challenging "tacticool" gameplay from it as I can, any suggestions to make it more of a ghost recon game and less of a Michael Bay movie?

My best advice is turn off the stupid enemy heat map thing. That way you never really know if you've taken out every last mook in a base, or if there just might be one more around that corner there. Keeps you on your toes.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh, yeah, the games don’t give a poo poo if you play a drow or human or miniature giant space hamster. Dialogue doesn’t really change. So pick whatever, although you really do want 18 in your primary stat.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, also I remember already putting it on NWN2's page but it's worth reiterating that if you play a caster in the sequel you ought to pick Spellcasting Prodigy as a background feat. You can only pick it at character creation and for a Sorcerer for example it's free +2 Charisma for spellcasting purposes which is kind of nuts good value for one feat, much less a lvl 1 one. At minimum it'll do a good job offsetting any penalty you get from an "ill-fitting" race/class combination.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 22, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't know if the rule still exists that you need at least 10 + X in your primary casting stat to get access to spell level X, but that used to be a thing, so it's worth making sure you can get at least to 19 on the whole.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Star Traders: Frontiers has so many numbers

how do I space

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ace Combat 7 tips please.

Gonna get myself some wings tonight

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Oh, yeah, the games don’t give a poo poo if you play a drow or human or miniature giant space hamster. Dialogue doesn’t really change. So pick whatever, although you really do want 18 in your primary stat.
For NWN 2 specifically, Grey Orcs were only added in the second expansion, Storm of Zehir. There's probably some cosmetic dialogue in that if you play one, but it's not gonna do anything for you in the original campaign. For similar reasons, your swamp rube foundling child can be a literal half-elemental with his head on actual fire and the 37 inhabitants of your village won't think this in any way unusual.

There is some dialogue if you play a Tiefling or presumably Aasimar but the story's not gonna change or anything. The story won't change much whether you play a fighter or cleric or sorcerer, for that matter.

e: I've said as much, I might as well come right out: NWN 2 pretty much assumes in its plot and mechanics that you're playing as a frontline swordsman. At any rate, that's where you'll find support.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 23, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

For NWN 2 specifically, Grey Orcs were only added in the second expansion, Storm of Zehir. There's probably some cosmetic dialogue in that if you play one, but it's not gonna do anything for you in the original campaign. For similar reasons, your swamp rube foundling child can be a literal half-elemental with his head on actual fire and the 37 inhabitants of your village won't think this in any way unusual.

There is some dialogue if you play a Tiefling or presumably Aasimar but the story's not gonna change or anything. The story won't change much whether you play a fighter or cleric or sorcerer, for that matter.

e: I've said as much, I might as well come right out: NWN 2 pretty much assumes in its plot and mechanics that you're playing as a frontline swordsman. At any rate, that's where you'll find support.

I was told race and alignment are mostly cosmetic in the first game but you get more specific dialogue in the sequel.

Is that untrue?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

I was told race and alignment are mostly cosmetic in the first game but you get more specific dialogue in the sequel.

Is that untrue?

mostly untrue for vanilla but i think you get specific prompts in mask of the betrayer. but not like the levels of specific interactions you may have come to expect out of shadowrun/pillars/divinity/etc.

i'd recommend some of the more detailed class mods--for example, the one that fixes dragon disciple to true 3.5 rules (half caster advancement instead of none... but it has the drawback of menushitting because it asks you to choose your dragon typing)--but i think the sites that used to host them are defunct.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone explain how bonecharm crafting in Dishonored 2 works? Like can I use bonecharms I won't use to make new ones?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone explain how bonecharm crafting in Dishonored 2 works? Like can I use bonecharms I won't use to make new ones?
Basically speaking, you can turn old bonecharms and runes into raw bone. When you get a bonecharm (or disassemble it, I don't quite remember right now) you learn its effect, a lot like enchanting in Skyrim. Depending on how good your Crafting skill is, you can put up to four enchants on a given bone charm. You always want to put multiples of a given skill on a charm, because they stack up to four. Like, four Fast Carry effects are far, far better than four different effects on one charm and you can equip tons of them at a time anyway.

There's a chance of failure in which case a single minor negative effect will also be put on the charm, something like "takes slightly more damage from slashing attacks," that sort of thing. If that kind of thing bothers you, you are free to disassemble them and try it over, there's no real penalty to that except for a minor loss in raw bone.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

juliuspringle posted:

When you dismantle a charm, you both a] learn to give its ability to to crafted charms b] get raw whalebone which is the resource you need to make new charms.
You also need the level the charm-making skill which decides how many effects you can give a new charm. Note that same effects can stack on top of each other, so having stuff like a 4x movement speed charm just makes you ridiculously overpowered.
Then again, it's Dishonored, being ridiculously overpowered is kind of the point.

e: f, b.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 24, 2019

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

juliuspringle posted:

Also for what it’s worth i think learned bonecharm enchants carry over to new game plus but the bonecharms themselves do not. This is a game you’ll probably want to replay in ng+ at least once for the other character and skillset.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In NG+, you can in fact use both characters' skill sets on either of them, so if you just want a run for messing around with everything, NG+ is the way to go. There are some funny synergies you do not normally get to use.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've added a page for Golden Krone Hotel with the following:

quote:

* Standard roguelike advice makes your life easier here as well. Be cautious, carefully go over your options, don't be afraid to use your limited resources, avoid getting surrounded and know when to retreat or avoid fights entirely.

* It's impossible to identify all potions without experimenting, so don't be too scared to drink stuff to figure out what it does. Focus your limited identifications on potions with potentially very good or bad effects, and remember that figuring out two potential effects of a potion automatically identifies potions with the third effect as well.

* The special named branches you come across are generally harder than the main path and are best left until late in a run. Many branches' difficulty also varies a lot depending on whether you're human or vampire.

* Use the map to locate things easily, especially items (marked green dots). Pressing 'I' opens a rough overall map which shows which floors lead to which branches.

* If you're about to die to a vampire enemy as a human or vice versa, check if you can make them friendly by transforming yourself to the same type as them.

* Vampires can't cast normal spells, so if you intend to spend a considerable amount as one you can usually neglect Intelligence during level ups.

* Vampires rely heavily on blood puddles to keep their health up, so be careful when fighting things that don't bleed and aggressively go after puddles as they vanish after a few turns.

* The beam fired by the spell 'Focus' depends on what kind of light you're standing in - normal light makes moonlight, moonlight makes sunlight, and sunlight makes fire.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anything for The Surge 2? There's no wiki page.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The basic gameplay is pretty much identical to Surge 1.

The drone is powerful and useful in this one. It's entirely possible to sever body parts with strategically placed single shots and there is a variety of useful attachments. It is no longer just for pulling enemies.

Do not attempt to use the directional parry until you also get the implant that shows you the correct direction to use it on. Enemies have very fancy animations full of flourishes and the direction an attack seems to come from often isn't what the parry thinks it should be.

There are as many loopbacks in this game as in Surge 1, possibly more. Seriously, the game loves them. There is always another.

Most of the stuff for upgrades applies to this game as it did to Surge 1. You can skip levels of upgrades by producing the higher-level stuff right away, that sort of thing.

Armor sets now have two stages for the set bonus at half the pieces and all the pieces. Many are very useful. There are also certain cosmetic pieces of gear that count towards anything else you are current wearing. They will be marked accordingly.

That's all of the big stuff that currently comes to mind.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Can anyone recommend a good first character build for Outer Worlds?

The wiki is a little bit too general, and I'm still overwhelmed by all the options when starting the game. Plus I've heard that there's no respeccing for Attributes. So can someone just give me build that I can use to explore the game as much as possible first time, since I very rarely replay games.

I do hear that the game is pretty easy, so I don't mind if that build actually breaks the game in half.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think your attributes don’t make or break the game, and skills end up being more important. You probably want to decide in advance whether you want to be melee or ranged, but I think each attribute still does things regardless of how you’ll play. You still want Strength for carrying capacity for example, because it takes a while before you learn that it is pointless to hoard items (unless you like shopping I guess).

I think I maxed one (Perception, for a ranged character) and made one the minimum (Intelligence, since that gives you stupid responses occasionally). Be sure to min and max everything once during character creation, because the guy unfreezing you has immediate responses for those.

Edit: When I played Outer Worlds, the tips on the wiki were completely different. The current tips make the game sound more complex than it is (on the normal difficulty at least). I don’t think you can screw yourself. Just pick two companions, give them heavy armor with the most defense and weapons with the highest DPS and watch them obliterate enemies.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 28, 2019

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Luigi's Mansion 3 has been really easy in the first few hours, but I thought I'd toss up a couple of tips since there's nothing on the wiki:

-Use the Burst move (ZR + ZL) to look for items you can interact with in the world. If it moves when you Burst, start suckin'/blowin'.

-Use the R and L buttons for your flashlight and suction cup instead of A and Y like the in-game tutorial teaches you. This will let you aim with the right thumbstick while using those tools.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Anything for The Surge 2? There's no wiki page.
- In character creation, your choice of background isn't just cosmetic. Depending on your background, some merchants will sell different gear or implants. In most cases, you can just find them elsewhere, but the Dynamic Redirector implant (grants energy if you get hit) is apparently only available to players who choose to be a mining wars veteran or search & rescue operator.

- Like in surge 1, you can get unique or v2.0 versions of weapons by beating bosses in a certain way. Generally this involves breaking their armor pieces before killing them, or killing them by performing a finisher on a certain part of their body. The v2 weapons are typically better than the boss's basic drop. Unlike the surge 1, you can still get the basic version of the weapon if you earn the v2 - it'll be for sale in the nearest shop. Here's a list of them in the order you'll encounter them. I removed the names so you don't get spoiled, but listed the areas they are found in.

Detention Center 2nd boss - Do a finisher on the right arm. Reward - singlerigged.
Port Nixon 1st boss - Break all the robotic arms before killing it. Reward - v2 poison twinrigged.
Port Nixon 2nd boss - Do a finisher on the right arm. Reward - hammer.
Gideon's Rock 1st boss - Either do a finisher on the right arm to get a one-handed, or do a finisher on the left leg to get a drone module.
Gideon's Rock 2nd boss - Break all its armor at least once before killing it. (You don't have to break it again if it regenerates) There's two arms to break in phase 2, and a head, body, and two legs in phase 3. Reward - v2 nano staff.
AID Command 1st boss - Break the mech's legs in phase 1 as well as its minigun in phase 2 for a drone module. Also, do a finisher on the pilot's right arm in phase 2 for v2 punching gloves with a powerful special ability.
CIT 1st boss - Do a finisher on any body part. Reward - one piece of his armor set (you have to wait til NG+ to get the rest)
Cathedral boss - In phase 2, break both robotic tentacles before killing it. Reward - v2 electric double duty with a special ability.
CIT 2nd boss - Break the tail before killing it. Reward - singlerigged.
AID Command 2nd boss - Do a finisher on the right arm. Reward - spear.
Great Wall boss - Break all of its armor before killing it. Reward - v2 heavy duty.

- You can also get a v2 singlerigged weapon by helping the Stranger with all his sidequests. Some of these will fail if you progress the story too far, so prioritize them if you want it.

- Like in the souls games, there are softcaps for the different stats you can level. In general all stats drop off to different degrees at 20, 50 and 100. The full details are available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdp2sln6t68zhuh/Surge_2_Stat_Breakpoints.ods Some of the more significant breakpoints include additional batteries at 25 and 75 energy, and prevention of one battery decays at 50 and 100 energy. In my experience, I found it was sufficient to just level all my stats evenly, but stamina drops off pretty hard after 20. As energy determines how powerful your healing injection is, leveling at least health and energy evenly is a good idea, as doing this will ensure an injection always heals a similar percentage of your max hp.

- Very early in the game, you'll meet a merchant named Rex in Seaside Court who offers you a sidequest. After telling him you've finished his sidequest, he will completely disappear from the game and only reappear again near the very end, many hours later. He sells a very useful drone module for 10k scrap that you can't get anywhere else (it doesn't use up ammo and pulls an enemy towards you, similar to the electromagnet from surge 1). Make sure to buy this drone module before telling him you've completed his sidequest. Grinding out 10k would be tedious this early in the game, but handily you'll get this much as a reward from the audiolog collection sidequest in the same location.

- Later in the game, you'll get a sidequest from a doctor in Gateway Bravo. If you want access to her shop, do her sidequest before killing the boss of the area, and don't ask for a reward. She has some implants and gear for sale.

- Midway through the game you'll get a notice in front of a door that basically says it is a point of no return. The game isn't kidding about this. Finish your sidequesting and exploring before going through.

- In the late game, you'll do a sidequest for a scientist to power up an implant for him. You have the choice of either keeping the powered up implant or returning it to him. If you return it to him, he'll give you a unique weapon, and you can find the implant for free a bit later in the game anyway. If you keep it, you just get the implant earlier and no unique weapon.

- Also in the late game, you'll run into a NPC who claims you owe him some tech scrap. It might seem like you can't pay him, but you can. Unlike every single other interaction with spending tech scrap, you need to have the scrap on your person, rather than banked at the medbay, in order to be able to pay him. He'll give you a drone module if you do. If you want it, don't tell him to piss off, just leave the conversation and use some scrap consumables then talk to him again.

- Note down the locations of nanite walls you find throughout the game. You'll get the ability to open them late in the game, and while some are just shortcuts or have minor loot, others have unique implants or weapons behind them. In particular, there's one in the cathedral with an implant, and one in the underground with a weapon.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 29, 2019

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything for Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus? I don't see anything on the wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mechanicus is generally speaking a pretty easy game and you only become more and more powerful as you unlock further attachments. You can exchange those freely and at will, so there aren't really any big gotchas. You can pretty much go in blind and be fine.