Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tylana posted:

Prey 2017 already has a sufficient page on the wiki.

Can't answer much for PC Okami, other than you are a monster for hating the speaking warble. :P But not, silencing them should be fine, if eerie.
The loading minigame is nothing important. Maybe some extra demon fangs or something?
When swimming it's probably you know, how long until you drown.
There are interactions with brush moves and the world. If they are important you'll be told to do them. This is Wolf Zelda (no, not that one.) after all.
EDIT : Also Okami is old enough to have actual Gamefaqs written for it, if you want to chase all the collectables or whatever.

The loading minigame nets you bonus demon fangs, which are always useful to have more of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You get them infinitely easier from fights, so I didn't find the minigames worth playing. The button mashing one is what, 50 presses per fang? Meanwhile you get a guaranteed fang from (almost?) every enemy by beating them the right way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Okami:

Every enemy, when killed by a specific technique specific to its enemy type, gives you a demon fang. The starter demons for instance are the slash brush stroke. This demon fang is independent of the one they will drop for peeing on them, a technique you can buy later and which seems useless and wasteful if funny otherwise.

Combining the above two things and you will be swimming in demon fangs and have no need to mess around with any other sources.

There is no penalty for caring dozens and dozens of healing items and popping them in the pause menu whenever you get hurt so you will never be in danger from a bossfight.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

srulz posted:

Prey:

1. Anything that I shouldn't recycle, especially ones not labelled as junk? I know quest items can't be recycled.

2. Any early trap skils that I should know? I guess Leverage is bad because you can use recycler grenades, but how about other stuff?

3. Any way at all for me to "farm" stuff? Respawning things etc?

1. All junk is intended for recycling. I would advise against recycling ammo and upgrade parts but everything else is fair game.

2. No trap skills. Even Leverage has a point, it just isn't opening doors but killing Typhon by throwing teacups and reployers at them. It also lets you turn all those oxygen bottles into conveniently placed grenades.

3. Enemies respawn as you progress through the story, items don't. I don't think you can farm anything per se (there is a later-game enemy enemy that has a chance of spawning in every area and will eventually come back if you kill it but it takes more resources to kill it than you get). That being said, farming isn't really needed.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Barudak posted:

Okami:

Every enemy, when killed by a specific technique specific to its enemy type, gives you a demon fang. The starter demons for instance are the slash brush stroke.

You actually hit them with this after they’re dead. They’ll go into a floaty slow-no death animation, and then you hit them one more time with the right brush stroke for the fang. Usually it’s power slash or blossom, but later enemies have some pretty unintuitive ones. It’s not always a technique that has to “hit” an enemy either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SkeletonHero posted:

You actually hit them with this after they’re dead. They’ll go into a floaty slow-no death animation, and then you hit them one more time with the right brush stroke for the fang. Usually it’s power slash or blossom, but later enemies have some pretty unintuitive ones. It’s not always a technique that has to “hit” an enemy either.

The Golden Fury skill will also get a Demon Fang off any demon, iirc.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

SkeletonHero posted:

Also keep in mind that you have one hit, period. If you're mashing attack and hit them after the slow-mo animation starts they'll instantly go into a much faster animation and can no longer be hit.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Anything for Space Hulk Tactics? Grabbed it on a sale a while ago on PS4, tried it a bit and got stuck in a seemingly unwinnable mission.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Afriscipio posted:

Anything for Kingdom Come: Deliverance?

Other than what is currently on the website:

Unlike most games in the genre, you do not start out as a badass capable of killing multiple low level enemies. You aren’t expected to win a fight until a couple hours into the game

The beginning area can be seriously cheesed. You can choke out farmers, then guards to train stealth. You can do the combat tutorial and ignore the instructions, just keep swinging at the trainer to train fighting. Pick all the weeds to train herbalism. Etc. however, if you get caught doing anything naughty, you will have to spend the rest of the prologue running from the guards.

The first herbalist perk you should pick is leg day.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Anything for Shadows: Awakening? Picked it up from Fantatical for 3 bucks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Seeing as I just replayed it, here's a bunch for Infinite Space on the DS;

• Money is actually fairly tight in most of this game. Never extremely so, but you're generally gonna budget around selling an existing ship of your fleet to get something better rather than having a fleet of spares. You'll know when you're gonna get an opportunity to upgrade to something good because a boss fight will just dump tens of thousands of G into your account.
  • If you click on the little DS image in the top-right when looking at ships in the Shipyard, it'll tell you any special details about them like built-in weapons or features like fighter capacity.
  • Fighters break the game clean over your knee the moment you can get them. Most ships don't bother with AA guns (or even decent ones), even some of the bosses, and will just melt under 60+ angry metal wasps stinging them repeatedly.
  • For those that DO have a ship with real AA, Formation Foe is your friend.
  • The multi-role fighters are really your best bet rather than the Strikers, because they capable enough to crush enemy fighters in seconds with zero losses on their way to sink the enemy fleet.
  • When you start seeing ships with Fighter capacity, don't go for the early carriers on offer. Save your money for the Eudora Cruiser instead; It has a larger hangar than anything else available at the time and a pair of these will see you through a fair stretch of the game before they need replacing.
  • There are a lot of recruitable crewmembers in this game, and the window for recruiting some can be pretty slim or esoteric. Just enjoy the game and know you're not gonna see everything in one playthrough.
  • That said, when you get missions that typically send you somewhere and back again, take the time to visit the (!) places on the way back if you had to stop on the way to your initial destination. Sometimes you'll get crew or even ship blueprints as a little thankyou.
  • The game is generally very blatant about branching paths (there are several through the game), but there is a very sneaky one relatively early-mid game that will affect late-game content significantly as a soft "Bad Route" if you flunk a few choices. It won't change the overall ending, but it will make things go worse along the way and make the game harder getting there. If you want to know what to specifically do, follow these choices after you've saved someone from a kidnapping;

• Buy and give real flowers
    • Yell at her
    • Side with Nova Nacio.

• HELP is invaluable and will describe every Command and Active skill in the game if you go digging through his menus.
  • If you get into a stretch of chain battles during the story, you may notice it momentarily drops back out to the cruising screen. If you can tap the icon in the bottom-right of the screen quickly enough, you can totally just fly back to the nearest planet and save.
  • This is a mid-game thing, but Do not go to Zenita on your first playthrough. They are not kidding about it being harder, and it's scaled for a NG+ run. Take the other path instead.
  • While Gen's gonna be your First Officer for most of the game due to Formation Foe, if you get stuck in a really hard boss fight try using Kira instead. Her Mercy Angel ability will heal your ships.
  • Unless you can find someone with a melee skill and higher Combat stats than Yuri, do not fill the Security Officer role in your crew as it replaces him in melee battles. Instead fill the secondary Security role first to add on to Yuri's stats.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Anything for Detroit: Become Human? I looked on the wiki but there doesn't seem to be anything. I'm playing on Experienced difficulty so it said something about characters dying?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bogmonster posted:

Anything for Detroit: Become Human? I looked on the wiki but there doesn't seem to be anything. I'm playing on Experienced difficulty so it said something about characters dying?

Characters can die at any difficulty - go into the game blind, if you're not confident about your skill with QTEs, feel free to play on a lower difficulty setting.

There isn't much to know about the game beforehand - it's a narrative game, and it's impossible to see every plot thread in one playthrough, so don't worry about it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

srulz posted:

3. There are random unexplained symbols sometimes. For example, when I'm swimming, there's this symbol over me? What does it mean?
The unexplained symbols tend to be fairly easy to interprete if you just look at them in the context of what you are doing. If you jump into water and get a meter that slowly grows smaller, what do you think will happen if it disappears? Yeah, it's your drowning meter and the visual indicator of "this long until you get kicked back out of the water." It mostly exists to make you avoid sequence breaking by swimming to places you aren't supposed to be able to reach yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bogmonster posted:

All Experienced difficulty does is make the QTE's less forgiving, and therefore more likely to get someone killed when a mistake is made.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Anything for Judgement?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Which one? There's two or three games by that name.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I have a hunch that it is Castlevania Judgment!

But Sega's Judgment is a more recent game, so probably that.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SoR Blaze posted:

Anything for Judgement?

Money seems tight at first, but a little ways into the plot, you'll unlock the VR mini-game (not real VR, the character goes into VR) and that can make you mad cash really fast.

Unlike Yakuza, some of the side stories aren't found on the street. You'll unlock three location where you can check for detective jobs and you should visit them between every plot event.

Tiger Style is better than Crane Style in almost every situation and gets a lot of upgrades from the skill tree. Unless you're trying to 100% the challenges checklist, you can stick to Tiger Style for pretty much the whole game.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Age of Wonders: Planetfall? Going to be playing on PS4 if that makes a difference.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TheHoosier posted:

Age of Wonders: Planetfall? Going to be playing on PS4 if that makes a difference.

The tutorial isn't too long and does a good job explaining most mechanics, you'll get most of what you need from it.

About the only mechanic it doesn't explain (since it was added in a later patch) is if you replace a mod on a unit with a different mod, any cosmite spent on the first mod is automatically applied to the cost of the new mod. Basically this means don't be afraid to mod out your units with early game mods, since any cosmite invested in them will carry forward once you replace them with better ones.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

SoR Blaze posted:

Anything for Judgement?

When you're drunk you build heat quicker so keep a few bottles of booze on you to keep your buzz. There's a few skills you can buy to enhance the benefit too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stranger of Sword City
  • Play the vita version called Stranger of Sword City: Revisited. It ads more content and considerably smooths out a ton of the games issues to the point where its a solid point to two points better on a 10 point scale than the base game. This update is Vita exclusive, so playing on any other system will be significantly more tedious and I cant in good faith recommend it
  • The main character cannot permanently die. This means your character should be very old at character creation, having one life point literally doesnt matter for them and the extra stat points will be great
  • When you get to the base, create characters to fill up your entire roster of available characters. Not only can you customize them, characters at base are a pretty significant source of money
  • The shop never restocks and the equipment it sells is basically useless. Use it to buy items
  • All easy mode changes is you get some free revives automatically, it does not alter the actual difficulty.
  • The character recovery mechanic is so punishing youre better off considering a character who falls in battle a save reload. Typically it will result in a full party wipe anyway so its not too much of a choice
  • Tying into the above, this means your characters you create should be as old as possible. If you're really worried about losing them forever make them 40 or so years old so they have two hitpoints
  • Invincible is a trap background skill, Knight gets this skill automatically at the point in the game you really need it and only your knight realistically needs this
  • There are mandatory hidden walls to progress, but theyre not very frequent. Id recommend looking up the games maps rather than dragging around a character whose starting skill is "spots hidden walls well".
  • Fairly early in the game youll unlock three dungeons and it will seem like you can go in any order. You can, but realistically the order should be Strangers Guild Dungeon, Palace Dungeon, Slums dungeon and you will progress in their sequel versions in that order.
  • Story progression is primarily gated by buying upgraded divinities. Very very few of the lineage demons are therefore actually optional.
  • Enemies up to 15 levels above your party are appropriate for you to fight. Yes this is stupid and arbitrary.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Anything for Xenoverse 2 assuming I can get it to stop crashing on trying to load the main game?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Anything for Xenoverse 2 assuming I can get it to stop crashing on trying to load the main game?

Apparently it's because the game doesn't account for leap years? Threads on steam suggest setting your computer time to before Feb 28th and see if that works.

As for actual in-game advice can't help, sorry. Only played a bit of the first one.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That did it, thanks. Weird bug, considering it's the 1st now...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

PMush Perfect posted:

Having a finished save from X1 provides a great jump start to leveling. Find the NPC who sells levels for zenny.

The story missions don't need to all be finished in a sequence. You can go partway and do the PQs to build up your money and buy early levels. If you want to play with multiple characters and do all the quests only their race can do, use the money your main has and spend it on leveling your alts.

You are permitted to fly in the hub when you advance the story. It sucks not being able to fly.

I wouldn't bother with the milk delivery quest, but the stone quest is worth it when you can do it.

Don't ever bother grinding for the perfect QQ bang. It is bullshit design. Get some low level stuff and fuse for more positive pips than negative. The perfect QQ bang is for cheating programs.

You can get all the items you want by flying around the hub and selling the cure condition items.

Masters take a long time to build relationship with before they can teach you. Bring their exact form partners with you (no Super Goku for the normal Goku Master) and Z rank PQs. Hit is the worst Master to deal with and his moves are garbage.

Most of the DLC is worth the content, except the music packs, which are garbage.

The tutorial missions will teach you stuff you won't ever find out on your own.

Take advantage of the training area in the Room of Spirit and Time to check out how moves work and how much damage they do. Pose buffs tend to be disappointing. You will know through training.

Pose whenever you can.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Any tips for Dragon Quest 7? Notice there's nothing on the site.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Talk to everyone. This is the most Dragon Quest of any Dragon Quest game and there's multiple occasions where I got stuck for a while because I missed someone in the second floor of the church or whatever.

The game is 80% vignettes to 20% 'main plot' so if you aren't feeling the side stories, save yourself the time and go play something else

Teach Ruff healing spells! He won't learn any on his own but his speed stat is obscene, and it's probably the best thing to be doing with his MP. Also some people will leave the party at inopportune times. Not Ruff.

Monster taming can be unlocked through somewhere around midgame so until then don't grind monsters hoping they want to be friends.

Any skills you learn from a Basic class are permanent and can be used if you change classes, but anything you learn as an Advanced class can only be used while you're that class. Anything learned from a Monster class is learned forever, and those are where all of the cool/rare powers are

Equipment is by character rather than by class, and character stat differences are more pronounced than, say, FFV, so you can make Maribel a Fighter but honestly you shouldn't.

ABC: Always Be party Chatting.

You will never find all those mini medals. Anyone who said they have is a liar.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

One more that I got myself.

- When doing combos/chase follow-ups, etc, you can queue your inputs slightly, like you could in a normal fighting game. You don't have to wait for the previous animation to finish before you put in the next command. And, in fact, trying to do so will leave you literally incapable of pulling off certain combos.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

TheHoosier posted:

- AOWP is a war game first, empire builder second. Focus on your armies and winning battles.
    - You can autoresolve a battle, if you don't like the result, you can re-fight it manually. You can also watch autoresolved fights to see what the AI does, it's not bad at combat.
    - Low level units with mods can carry you through an entire game.
    - They recently released a big economic rebalancing patch. Some of the old information on building your cities is no longer applicable.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

How long does Dark Pictures Anthology Man of Medan take to complete? Just story not 100%, I should be able to borrow it from the library soon and I'll have a week to play (or not play) before it needs returned. I use the library as a way to see if I like a game enough to buy and having played Until Dawn I'm worried about cost vs replayability.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not sure how much the anthology version does differently, but the base game is... I want to say less than five hours long, start to finish.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

juliuspringle posted:

How long does Dark Pictures Anthology Man of Medan take to complete? Just story not 100%, I should be able to borrow it from the library soon and I'll have a week to play (or not play) before it needs returned. I use the library as a way to see if I like a game enough to buy and having played Until Dawn I'm worried about cost vs replayability.

It's very short, about five hours. If you've ever tried to kill your characters in Until Dawn, you'll have noticed that the game is actually very forgiving about mistakes since you're going to be playing as the characters for a long time. So in a short game like this you can die quickly and easily, which actually makes it more replayable.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

GuavaMoment posted:

It's very short, about five hours. If you've ever tried to kill your characters in Until Dawn, you'll have noticed that the game is actually very forgiving about mistakes since you're going to be playing as the characters for a long time. So in a short game like this you can die quickly and easily, which actually makes it more replayable.

Or, like me, have one of the characters simply gently caress off for the entirety of the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GuavaMoment posted:

Killing people in a large cast means a whole lot of divergent AND/OR cases to account for throughout the rest of the game depending on who is currently alive for a given playthrough, so keeping them safe for most of the game cuts down all those variables. It's why Detroit: Become Human's frankly amazing for being able to just kill most of the protagonists early on and still have the story continue. Connor's replacements are the game's safety net as well as a plot point.

Cardiovorax posted:

Not sure how much the anthology version does differently, but the base game is... I want to say less than five hours long, start to finish.

Dark Pictures Anthology is the meta-series title. They developers are basically planning on making a bunch of small standalone games like Man of Medea as a horror anthology. More power to them too, they seem to have finally realized what people loved best about Until Dawn.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dark Pictures Anthology is the meta-series title. They developers are basically planning on making a bunch of small standalone games like Man of Medea as a horror anthology. More power to them too, they seem to have finally realized what people loved best about Until Dawn.
Ah, thanks. That just really didn't mean anything to me, I thought it was some kind of director's cut.

In that case, yeah, five hours or less per run, likely less.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, I played a full multiplayer session of Man of Medan with some friends and there is a significant risk that a character will die or leave the story within the first hour and just be gone for the entire story and that player gets to do nothing. Also a few characters get a lot more screentime than others so like, if you play multiplayer be aware that some people aren't going to play as much as others so set expectations accordingly.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Glagha posted:

Yeah, I played a full multiplayer session of Man of Medan with some friends and there is a significant risk that a character will die or leave the story within the first hour and just be gone for the entire story and that player gets to do nothing. Also a few characters get a lot more screentime than others so like, if you play multiplayer be aware that some people aren't going to play as much as others so set expectations accordingly.

That was me, except I was kind of happy about it since I wasn't really in the mood for playing a tense game with consequential decisions and such, so when that choice happened early on I was able to get out early and was quite pleased about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I'd actually say it's Before I Play worthy to say that even though there's a dedicated multiplayer mode, if you're playing with a group you might be better off playing how a lot of people did Until Dawn, which is to say not having different people make decisions for different characters, but instead just doing it as a group for all the characters. We started with multiplayer mode, and after my character disappeared for almost the entire game we went back to how we did Until Dawn and it was a lot more fun.