Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ahobday posted:

I've started playing Xenoblade Chronicles 1 on the Switch.

I don't think the game explains the quick time prompt that sometimes appears at the start of a battle, where a ring closes on a blue "B" button. Can someone explain what that does, why it appears, and whether the game does actually explain it?

When I try to search for this all of the results are about Xenoblade Chronicles X and 2.

That's the Battle Start Affinity, you trigger it when you start battles with the red fight button instead of using an attack. If you get the timing right, it raises the Tension, the Party Gauge, and Party Affinity.

This should be explained in one of the tutorials, after a while the game stops showing them to you directly and just dumps them into the menu.

1) Tension: High tension increases your crit rate, chain attack damage, and crit heal rate. Low tension drops your crit rate, your accuracy, and your dodge.

2) Party Gauge: One bar to revive a party member, three bars to start a chain attack.

3) Affinity: good for crafting gems, linking skills, and unlocking heart-to-hearts. It also lets you extend chain attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

YggiDee posted:

That's the Battle Start Affinity, you trigger it when you start battles with the red fight button instead of using an attack. If you get the timing right, it raises the Tension, the Party Gauge, and Party Affinity.

This should be explained in one of the tutorials, after a while the game stops showing them to you directly and just dumps them into the menu.

1) Tension: High tension increases your crit rate, chain attack damage, and crit heal rate. Low tension drops your crit rate, your accuracy, and your dodge.

2) Party Gauge: One bar to revive a party member, three bars to start a chain attack.

3) Affinity: good for crafting gems, linking skills, and unlocking heart-to-hearts. It also lets you extend chain attacks.

Yes all this and if there's one thing i can't stress enough about XB1 it's to switch up your controlled character as often as you want. Every character plays differently and they're all amazing in their own way

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I get the impression from my first 30 minutes or so that this game gives you some things earlier than it explains them, so the tutorial might be coming up. For example, I could buy arts from a shop before I could equip them or level them up.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ahobday posted:

I get the impression from my first 30 minutes or so that this game gives you some things earlier than it explains them, so the tutorial might be coming up. For example, I could buy arts from a shop before I could equip them or level them up.

In my limited experience with the 3DS port, I found a ton of new mechanics gated behind story progression, and I didn’t get very far at all. The main character wields a sword made of literal junk that can’t be unequipped. However, he spends a lot of time studying It doesn’t take an expert on JRPG tropes to figure out that sometime in the first two hours of a game called Xenoblade Chronicles.
It’s my understanding that the game is just so drat long, you unlock a new mechanic of some kind every few hours. As soon as you’re comfortable with the Monado’s starting ability set, you get a new power for use against really tough enemies. Once you reach the big open Gaur Plains, you find new uses for that same power, and soon enough you pick up a new party member whose ultimate /talent art works in a totally different way from Fiora and the boys. The game is like 100 hours, and I imagine this continues on for another 60 of those hours.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 29, 2020

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My advice for the Total War: Warhammer games is that if you're somewhat new to Total War or you haven't played them in a few years, look up a guide that explains the Battle Mode keybinds and movement systems. It gives you more advanced options than you had in previous games, and while it's not difficult to use once you know what you're doing, it was easier (at least for me) to pick it up by watching someone explain it than it was just looking at a keybind list and trying to infer when it would be useful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, that's probably a good idea. The Total War series of games looks like it's grand strategy at first glance, but the real-time battles are where a lot of the real meat is.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Is there any recommended order for tackling the DLC in Dying Light? I'm still doing story missions but I wonder if I should go to the prison DLC to loot the armory, or if that's for end-game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Captain Walker posted:

In my limited experience with the 3DS port, I found a ton of new mechanics gated behind story progression, and I didn’t get very far at all. The main character wields a sword made of literal junk that can’t be unequipped. However, he spends a lot of time studying It doesn’t take an expert on JRPG tropes to figure out that sometime in the first two hours of a game called Xenoblade Chronicles.
It’s my understanding that the game is just so drat long, you unlock a new mechanic of some kind every few hours. As soon as you’re comfortable with the Monado’s starting ability set, you get a new power for use against really tough enemies. Once you reach the big open Gaur Plains, you find new uses for that same power, and soon enough you pick up a new party member whose ultimate /talent art works in a totally different way from Fiora and the boys. The game is like 100 hours, and I imagine this continues on for another 60 of those hours.

Yeah don't fall into the comfy but efficient trap of Shulk,Sharla and Rein. You will not need her healing for a vast,vast majority of ordinary running around in the open world fighting regular enemies since you should be able to kill most things before healing is really a major factor. Bosses and the unique enemies are really the only time you would need so much healing done anyway.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ahobday posted:

The battle start ring tutorial shows up right after you go deliver Shulk his lunch at the beginning, it just shows up in the tutorials menu. There's a few like that, mostly new mechanics to the Switch version or clarifications on other mechanics, that are marked with a red dot on the tutorials menu.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sharla should be dumped from your party ASAP she is the only character whose special ability is "be bad" and the best way to heal bypasses all her mechanics entirely and doesnt require her. She is bad on purpose.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Barudak posted:

Sharla should be dumped from your party ASAP she is the only character whose special ability is "be bad" and the best way to heal bypasses all her mechanics entirely and doesnt require her. She is bad on purpose.

Okay, I’ll admit it’s been a long time since I played the Wii version but unless the switch version changes things this sounds insanely hyperbolic. Sharla is fine and you probably want to rotate everyone in and out of your party for the sake of building affinity.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

Okay, I’ll admit it’s been a long time since I played the Wii version but unless the switch version changes things this sounds insanely hyperbolic. Sharla is fine and you probably want to rotate everyone in and out of your party for the sake of building affinity.

Its slightly hyperbolic, yes, since its not like she prevents you from beating the game. She is, however, presented as the dedicated healer so lots of people feel like they need to stick with her always even though her healing isn't very useful as the game progresses, her dps is bad, and her core mechanic is an arbitrary limitation no one else has to deal with.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Barudak posted:

Its slightly hyperbolic, yes, since its not like she prevents you from beating the game. She is, however, presented as the dedicated healer so lots of people feel like they need to stick with her always even though her healing isn't very useful as the game progresses, her dps is bad, and her core mechanic is an arbitrary limitation no one else has to deal with.

but sharla has huge... gun

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Barudak posted:

I rotated through all the characters relatively equally to keep things fresh and I never had any problem with Sharla or any other character. I did easily 90% of the side content and there were times her healing abilities were extremely useful.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Are there any tips for Inquisitor: Martyr? I picked up the bundle with all of the DLC and just been clicking my way around in it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zikan posted:

Are there any tips for Inquisitor: Martyr? I picked up the bundle with all of the DLC and just been clicking my way around in it.

- Not everything is unlocked immediately, so just keep doing campaign missions. Usually when you meet someone, they appear on your ship offering a service after.
- Just beware of how it determines upgrades on the tooltip. It may say is +6 levels above your current gear item, but it may replace a useful stat for a totally useless one for your setup.
For example sniper ranged bonus for faster speed when not within an enemy radius.
- Save some of the random single map drops you get for later, as at the start they can be rather hard.
- Sniper rifles are amazing OP. You can select which part of the body to aim at, but the head can cause instant death even to elite bosses.
- A sniper rifle with an AoE attack makes a great side attack to the single target attack I just mentioned above.
- Melee attacks are better than pewpewpew when you have a lot of lowbies standing around together. So learn when to toggle TAB between stances.
- In some places you may see remote mines or turrets to place. Use them, as they can help.
- There are progress unlocks, like deal 500,000 damage to Chaos, that unlock perks or even new talent trees to invest points into. So concentrate on unlocking them if you want to specialize deeper.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 30, 2020

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Anything for Harvester (1996)? I heard it has some dead ends and standard old adventure design like "Oh, you didn't pick up an item in the second screen? Now you can't progress 10 hours later".

I'm even debating if I would be better off just watching an LP if that kind of stuff is way too prevalent, even though experiencing odd games like this one first hand is more interesting, and I can deal with jankyness.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 1, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, it's that kind of game. I'd personally recommend playing the game yourself until you get stuck and then just look at a walkthrough, or maybe do so from the start. It's one of those things that are better when experienced in motion, but there is a solid LP of it on the LP Archive.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Anything for Sniper Elite 4? I'm unfamiliar with the series so I checked the page for 3 and it seems pretty accurate from what little I've played so far, but is there anything I should know on top of that for 4 specifically? Thanks.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Mystic Stylez posted:

Anything for Harvester (1996)? I heard it has some dead ends and standard old adventure design like "Oh, you didn't pick up an item in the second screen? Now you can't progress 10 hours later".

I'm even debating if I would be better off just watching an LP if that kind of stuff is way too prevalent, even though experiencing odd games like this one first hand is more interesting, and I can deal with jankyness.

Sometimes places like gamefaqs have spoiler-free guides that just list the game ending bullshit to look out for. It might be worth a look.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

food court bailiff posted:

Anything for Sniper Elite 4? I'm unfamiliar with the series so I checked the page for 3 and it seems pretty accurate from what little I've played so far, but is there anything I should know on top of that for 4 specifically? Thanks.

General note to anyone who likes to quick load as soon as anything goes wrong:
-Enemies are stupid and it's not a big deal if you get caught. You can often either kill everyone who was alerted or just retreat 50 meters and they'll forget everything pretty quickly.

edit. -Achievements that have collectibles can't be finished without playing the co-op missions.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 2, 2020

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Cracker King posted:

Any tips for Just Cause 4? I feel like the game is too big and I’m not sure if I should even bother with the ‘events’ like wingsuit time trials.

The reward for doing those events is that you can change the properties of your tools. Depending on your playstyle, you will probably want one or two of these mods, but they aren't necessary, and you can get enough xp to get all of them without grinding. Having said that, the main game is pretty shallow, and playing the events that you enjoy is sort of the point of the game.

The vehicle challenges that unlock the vehicle in question for air drops will have that vehicle nearby. This is not necessarily true for other vehicle challenges.

You can use the grapple hook while you are wingsuiting. As long as you don't hit the ground, this is a good way to get around. It is not as fast as some of the vehicles, but it is more flexible.

When you are not wingsuiting, there is no fall damage when you are using your grappling hook. You can jump out of a plane, dive straight down the whole way, and use the hook at the last moment and be fine.

If you are having trouble destroying something, it probably means that you need to use the tether to move some shielding.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Anything for Indivisible? Outside of the fact that Razmi is best girl.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SweetBro posted:

Don't grind, you get your most significant power increases at key story moments.

The archer is the best option for building Iddhi meter you'll have for a while.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

SweetBro posted:

Aside from getting the timing down for perfect blocking, you should be good to go for most encounters. Be aware that there are a few enemies that absorb magic damage, which means Razmi won't be of much use aside from burning one bar for a light party heal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SweetBro posted:

There are no permanent missables

You only need 100 of the 108 collectibles to unlock everything in the game

I really recommend tracking them down, as you play, very few require true backtracking. Each increase of these, especially defense, is a monstrous boost of your power and survivability.

You may encounter weird dead ends in occassion with nothing in them. These are for party member sidequests.. The game does a really bad job of hinting they are available and they can only be done in the final act. You dont need to do any of them

Healers are trap characters

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, you can at the cost of Iddhi replace fallen party members with ones from stock, but I forget what buttons it requires.

EDIT : And I strongly disagree about healers being trap characters. But I would agree with "Healers are optional, play around with not having them."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Maneater isn't especially challenging or complex but here are some basic tips anyway :coolfish:

- Collectibles give off a sonar ping noise which you can hear at a fair distance as long as you're underwater.
- ABC: Always Be Chompin. There is no downside to eating any and all prey animals that cross your path.
- Tailwhip has a ton of uses. Jump up onto or next to hunter boats and tailwhip the crew off all at once instead of trying to eat them one by one. Grab an enemy, thrash it until it's about to escape, then tailwhip it into the ground--or onto dry land. Grab smaller fish and tailwhip them into a tough enemy; this is a huge help for dealing with alligators while you're still a teen.
- XP is based on nutrients collected, which means the Digestion upgrades will also level you up a bit faster. Get those gains
- Mash the jump button during a jump for added height.
- Eat humans to attract hunters, fight hunters to increase your infamy until a named hunter shows up, and defeat them for Bio-Electric parts that come with electric damage and stun effects.
- Complete hunt missions in a region and kill the apex predators that appear for Bone parts that provide extra defense and a ton of bonuses against boats. You can't get at the Fawtick Bayou apex predator right away--you have to advance through Dead Horse Lake into Golden Shores, and some more bayou hunts will unlock.
- Find 100% of landmarks in a region for Shadow parts that give you increased mobility and poison abilities. The Shadow Teeth in particular are fantastic for general use, with extra damage and a heal effect every time you chomp something, not just when you finish eating it.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 6, 2020

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Anything for FFXV besides what's in the wiki? I just started, and I'm feeling a little lost for I should be doing in combat and how I should be progressing my characters.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
PRE-DLC FF15 Opinion :- Mostly, doesn't matter. Combat is not super interactive, ironically for all the action-based combat feel of it. Look up some guides on how stuff works if it's confusing. Not much to miss, not much to spoil mechanically.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
There's no entry for Kenshi, and I think I could use a few mild pointers. I get that's it's an utterly open world game with no narrative, but I'm just kinda wandering around aimlessly and I'm worried I'm just gonna get bored. I've skimmed the SA thread for the game, and it's been helpful, but I just need a little beginner's guidance.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Last I saw in the thread was "Kenshi is huge, come to the SA thread and read/chat." https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862574

but here are links Search came up with for posts in this thread :

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=2969807&pagenumber=750&perpage=40#post492509087
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=2969807&pagenumber=747&perpage=40#post491899858

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Tylana posted:

PRE-DLC FF15 Opinion :- Mostly, doesn't matter. Combat is not super interactive, ironically for all the action-based combat feel of it. Look up some guides on how stuff works if it's confusing. Not much to miss, not much to spoil mechanically.

I'm playing on the PC and haven't really looked into DLC. Are any in particular worth it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

VikingofRock posted:

I'm playing on the PC and haven't really looked into DLC. Are any in particular worth it?

Ignis' is very neat, Prompto's is interesting, Gladio's is uhh eh.

I'd beat the game before doing any of them, especially Iggy's.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

VikingofRock posted:

Anything for FFXV besides what's in the wiki? I just started, and I'm feeling a little lost for I should be doing in combat and how I should be progressing my characters.

Like the wiki mentions magic is pretty drat powerful. To make the most of it, you need Libra.

Libra allows you to scan the enemy and to see what it is weak against and what won’t scratch its paint. To enable Libra you need to set Combat Type in options to Wait instead of Active. That may initially sound like you are turning things into a turn-based game, but it’s not. It means the game will almost pause if you are not moving in combat and if you are targeting an enemy you will scan it. This might take a second for the tougher enemies.

The scan will show you symbols for the weapon types and magic elements. Color indicates their strength. Black is normal, orange is weak against (you do more damage), violet is strong against (so less damage) and black with an arrow will means it absorbs the damage (so you will heal it).

The most straightforward magic spells you can create for tougher enemies is tricast spells (strike 3 times) dedicated to a single element.
So for example, you put the following in a magic flask:
- 99 points for your element of choice.
- 31-33 points for a second element. This will boost the damage, but won’t turn it into a multiple element spell or a ???/hybrid spell.
- An item from your inventory, the game calls this the “catalyst”. For the tricast effect you can use things like Elixir, Hi-Elixir and Phoenix Down. You can add multiple of the same item to a spell, but that’s probably not recommended in the early game.

Campsites are surrounded by elemental veins for each of the three elements, where you can draw energy from. These points will recharge after you’ve rested somewhere. You can also invest ability points in a certain skill tree to increase the amount of energy you will draw from an elemental vein. Investing in these means you have to travel less to gather elemental energy.

I didn’t understand any of this when I started FFXV, but it’ll make more sense eventually.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 5, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

If you're on PC you have all of them already apart from Episode Ardyn. It was intended as the first of I think 4 "season 2" DLCs culminating in an alternate/ultimate ending and the others were never released. Finish the game and you'll probably have a good idea whether you want to buy it or not.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anything i need to know before i play My Time at Portia? I checked the wiki but there's not much there.

Switch version if it matters

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=My_Time_at_Portia

I would say what's on the wiki is good.

I might add that having your birthday towards the end of the year is a good way to get a bunch of presents in year 1 if you've been talking to people and fulfilling orders.

Becoming friends with someone gives you a relationship bonus with everyone else they love. Its especially funny when you befriend one of those 7 brothers and it sends off a massive relationship bonus cascade.

Don't sell your ore. You need an absolute metric fuckton of it throughout the game.

Always have furnaces running. Carbon steel is something you can never have too much of. That poo poo is used in drat near everything.

If you are looking for a specific item and you can't find it just do the gold missions. Everything will eventually open up.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/474763/Sniper_Elite_4__Target_Fhrer/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqZg36JBBr8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've done a bit of editing and added the following for the page of Thief: Deadly Shadows:

quote:

* As with the previous two games, there is a fan-made fix pack called Sneaky Upgrade which is highly recommended for a smoother experience, fixing various issues and amongst other things removing the mission-internal loading screens.

* There are no autosaves or checkpoints even between missions, so be sure to save regularly.

* Higher difficulties can make for a more interesting stealth experience as the game is overall easier than the previous entries, but there are no bonus objectives tied to them this time.

* A persistent physics glitch can leave you floating in mid-air after trying to jump. You can recover by nocking an arrow and releasing it without firing with the jump button or Esc key.

* Money does carry over between missions, so you can save up and shop as much as you like. Note that not all fences buy all types of loot.

* Guards respawn in the city portions of the game, so don't bother trying to clear them out. Certain bits of loot also respawn between missions.

* The first time you die in the city streets will actually get you arrested rather than killed, leading to a short extra mission where you have to escape from prison.

* Especially on higher difficulties where you need to find most or all the special loot items, pay careful attention to notes as they'll often describe their locations and can spare you from a lot of backtracking.

* It's worth keeping the two factions happy once you unlock the reputation system. The cornerstones you need to fire Moss Arrows at for the Pagans can be hard to spot, but they're small green blocks at the bottom corners of buildings around the city. Hammerites are easy to please as in addition to rust mites being easy to spot, they also love you killing undead which are plentiful in certain sections.

* The "sweet spots" of most of the game's locks are in the four cardinal directions, so you can open them quickly using the arrow keys. Later locks also start using the intercardinals, and a couple are more complex than that.

* The new ability to hide by clinging to a wall makes you practically invisible in low light.

* Gas Bombs have a higher knockout radius than Gas Arrows, making them the better choice against groups.

* Flash Bombs can still be used to kill the undead and they blind practically anything, though they don't make guards vulnerable to knockouts like in the previous games.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 7, 2020