Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I give the same advice to just about everyone who hasn't played Total War in ages. Look up a guide about the new hotkeys for controlling units in the battle mode, controlling units is less fidgety than it was in the old games.

Out of the TW:WH2 factions specifically for a beginner... probably Lizardmen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I would recommend reading the Total War Warhammer thread instead, because the kind of early-game walkthrough you seem to be asking for might be going a bit beyond the scope of this thread.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'd agree with looking at the thread, but in general:
- It's easy to overextend yourself with too many armies, because upkeep gets murderous. Stick to one army and consolidate your areas for a while, until it feels like you have too much money and nothing to spend it on, in which case you can probably afford a second (and then a third, etc.).
- Building walls is actually super handy, both for delaying AI attacks and for giving you some forces that can fight off AI/rebel stacks. Even the smaller settlements can often use walls.
- I typically build a single province for unit production and the rest dedicated to economic concerns, because gold is king.
- When it comes to battle, ranged units are often really strong. If you are playing a faction with decent archers, they can do unreasonable amounts of damage if you can keep them out of melee. (So don't do this with Vampire Counts or Lizardmen, because they don't have good archers, but definitely do it with High Elves, Skaven, and Vampire Coast.)
- A few artillery are really handy for forcing the AI to come to you and doing outsized amounts of damage. Mortars, cannon, plagueclaw catapults, etc.
- As always, the hammer & anvil of melee infantry & cavalry is great. Depends on a bit on faction, but if you have good cavalry (i.e. are Bretonnia), definitely do it.
- For lord skills, lightning strike is absurdly powerful. Most lords that feel like they can be good in combat (i.e. aren't mages) can, in fact, be pretty good in combat, so feel free to pick those yellow skills if you want, but typically the red-line skills are really good.
- Don't be afraid to put your agents in your armies. If you've mostly played earlier total war games, you might assume your priests/spies/captains are mostly overworld heroes. And they are great on the overworld, to block armies and punch holes in walls, but they are also often really good as combatants. This is often the best way to get mages in your armies, it can give you really nice replenishment boosts, etc.

Good newbie factions tend to be relatively straightforward and depend on what DLC you have access to and whether you have Warhammer 1 or 2. I'd recommend Empire if you are vaguely interested in them. They're not the most exciting faction, but the army basics are very intuitive - build some archers/crossbowmen/handgunners and screen them with swords/spears/halberds in the early-mid game, occasional cavalry for flanking smashes. Late game, rocket batteries are absurd, steam tanks are neat but not particularly overpowered, demigryph knights hit like trucks, etc. Plus you have a great spread of magic to experiment with.

High Elves are similar newbie factions from the Warhammer 2 factions. Your early archers are bonkers strong, Lothern Sea Guard can substitute for them and are totally fine in melee if you get caught, and Sisters of Avelorn are absurd in the late game. You get access to awesome dragons to play with if you want, and your cavalry are good too. The big downside is the artillery is kinda poo poo, but build one or two and just accept that you mostly need to do something other than artillery.

Lizardmen are also awesome for newer players, because dinosaurs are amazing and really show off the great combat animations in the game. Early on you'll discover that skinks are kinda poo poo, but at least they're cheap. Saurus warriors are...aggressively mediocre until you get the later ones. BUT YOU HAVE DINOSAURS. Carnosaurs are brutal at knocking out high value targets. Stegadons have artillery on their backs (and are arguably better than the Ancient Stegadons that are better in melee but have archers instead of ballistas). I haven't played much with their flamethrowers or fliers, but those are neato too. Lizardmen are also really forgiving because, if you get a surprise wardec and are in trouble, you have an emergency "SUMMON THE DINOSAURS" button to build an army in an instant.

Dark Elves are probably neat, but I don't really know their army roster. Shades are super annoying and great early on.

Skaven are awesome, but might be trickier for a newer player. They build absurd gun lines, but their blocking infantry run away super fast, so you need to know how to funnel/delay enemy armies while you commit war crimes against them. It's like playing World War One against Napoleonic foes. You mow folks down with machine guns, flamethrowers, mustard gas, poison catapults, and giant lightning guns, and they die horribly until they make your front line evaporate. (Minor unintuitive tip - Plague Priests are bonkers because they can summon chaff to block for your armies.)

E: Dwarves used to be a really good newbie faction, because they're really straightforward. Build a wall of grumpy dwarves who don't want to move. Have quarrelers/artillery behind them to erase your enemies. Repeat, layering in flamethrowers and better artillery later on. Unfortunately, the most recent Orc DLC really buffed them and the Dwarves have a hard time early on.

Beastmen have amazing combat animations but are in a rough spot.

Vampire Counts are unique because they don't have any ranged units, but they have cool spooky monsters, can drown people in hordes of zombies that you just re-raise when they die, they're great. Play if they look fun.

Tomb Kings are also neat, because you play as spooky mummies. Their big strength is also their monsters - giant scorpions, statues, and sphinxes are killer. Like the Vampire Counts they have great chaff in their line skeletons, and you absolutely don't care if you have to re-buy six new units every fight, because they're free. They also have some archers, which is nice. But their campaign mechanics are a little unintuitive at first and their economy takes a while to figure out. (Very low income, but no upkeep costs.)

Vampire Coast I'm not as familiar with, but I think they get a gunline of artillery and have zombies in front to block for them. Play if you like pirates and sea monsters?

Chaos & Norsca I dunno, be annoying with good melee infantry and super frustrating skirmishing cavalry, then be sad because you live in the frozen north and the only thing you love is the hellcannon mommy left you?

Wood Elves go pew pew with archers. And have trees? Dunno much about 'em.

Bretonnia are also a totally fine newbie faction. Early on your archers and trebuchets are good, though they'll fall off as the game progresses. But by that point you'll have better trebuchets and, more importantly, the best cavalry and air cavalry in the game. So sacrifice some peasants to let your pretty dudes on horses kill everything in their way.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 13, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Anything I should know about Operencia?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The voice acting is hilariously terrible.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anything about Troy?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Lone Badger posted:

Anything about Troy?

Total War: Troy, you mean?

- Resources are broken into building (wood, stone) and unit (bronze, food) now. Food is generally the upkeep currency, although some high level units require bronze upkeep as well as food.
- Pay careful attention to unit cards. Some frontline Spearman have bonuses against sword (breaking the TW holy trinity), while others are just anti-large still.
- Make sure you are praying to the gods, researching (called "royal decrees"), and checking your racial bonus menus (like Lion's Share for Aga) regularly because the game will not remind you to do so.
- Only Sparta can use the global recruitment pool function afaik
- Nations will have their resource supply listed when you get them into diplomacy; if it is listed in red then they have far too much of it, and if it's in green then they want it. You can trade for lots of undervalued materials for pretty cheap, although often they just have a ton of food.
- There's a hard divide between the major faction groups so you can pretty easily get some military alliances set up with people on your side of the fight.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

food court bailiff posted:

Anything I should know about Operencia?

you will need to backtrack, which you can do later in the game, to get extra challenges, loot, et cetera

i don't think enemies respawn, like, ever, so once you've cleared a level, you've cleared it

you'll get a vendor a little bit into the story, like 2-3 levels in

this is an SMT style game where status effects are not useless

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Kind of an offbeat request, but is there anything specific for Dynasty Warriors 8: XL, or do the tips from 7 still mostly apply?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Kind of an offbeat request, but is there anything specific for Dynasty Warriors 8: XL, or do the tips from 7 still mostly apply?

Don't have anything to say, but if you're playing on PC the Xbox button prompts mod has been taken down from the links that used to exist. If you want, I can set up a place to download the zip from.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

FanaticalMilk posted:

Don't have anything to say, but if you're playing on PC the Xbox button prompts mod has been taken down from the links that used to exist. If you want, I can set up a place to download the zip from.

Oh hey that'd be rad, thanks! I got the buttons remapped, but the icons have definitely been throwing me.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Any tips for Red Dead Redemption 2 aside from what's on the site?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's a free Schofield Revolver you can get by robbing the doctor in Valentine. It's one of the better handguns in the game, so that gives you a bit of a leg up.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh hey that'd be rad, thanks! I got the buttons remapped, but the icons have definitely been throwing me.

Here's the link for the DW8XL buttons:

https://mega.nz/file/KVEBiKAI#QZ8hp4n3AZFnbtag7_vCG_q_Jwa6fCTTBtTUdtVHSJo

Also, here's a link for button prompts for DW8 Empires:

https://mega.nz/file/3AdxiCJT#9t61scA-9n6lwfwtZK4WVP8uUZUOsjHn-FGSc1kbOQI

And here's a description of how to apply the mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2082941826

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Rad, thank you! :)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

municipal shrimp posted:

You never actually lose your money, although you may be separated from it for a while

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is the smartphone version of EVE online any good (at least, by the metric of how close it is to the PC version)? Can you still use ISK to buy time?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

food court bailiff posted:

Is the smartphone version of EVE online any good (at least, by the metric of how close it is to the PC version)? Can you still use ISK to buy time?
There's a thread for it, I think.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anything for Total War: Troy? It's my first total war game since RTW, and I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed.

So far I've noticed two non-obvious things, not sure if they're worthy of being proper tips:

Heroes are great at capturing walls, because they can't get mobbed from all sides and the AI won't bother sniping them with ranged units.

Having other factions join your wars, even if you don't need their help, is actually great for your diplomatic relationship. You're now "allies" and you're doing the bulk of the fighting against "their" enemy, which the appreciate.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

municipal shrimp posted:

From a story perspective, Chapter 3 is probably the best place to dick around doing side stuff. Or at least, that was the general opinion when I was playing.

Personally, I'd also recommend not doing the orchid collection side quests. I normally love an open world collectathon but that was incredibly tedious even for me. That's just my opinion though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Replaying Breath of the Wild, so I cleaned up the entry a bit.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

Replaying Breath of the Wild, so I cleaned up the entry a bit.

quote:

Don't wear metal in a thunderstorm. Take it off or take a bolt to the head. If you see flickers of lightning around Link, you've got metal on.

I noticed that if you go into your weapon select screen with the d-pad, electric items will have little zappy backgrounds on them if they aren’t safe to wear in a thunderstorm (flammable items work the same way in firey zones). Weirdly, metal armor seems ok to wear in storms, it’s just weapons that’ll get ya

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not only weapons, shields also count for that.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'd remove that tip, it's not something you need to know before it happens and it's a neat thing to discover.
And I'd also remove almost everything from the spoilers section besides maybe the bandanna.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Being told about this kind of thing before it fucks you over at the worst possible moment is exactly what I think the wiki is for, honestly. This is a big game and you can lose a lot progress very quickly if you're not all that diligent about saving regularly. I don't see any reason to get rid of the hint, even if it is a neat little feature.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

I'd remove that tip, it's not something you need to know before it happens and it's a neat thing to discover.
And I'd also remove almost everything from the spoilers section besides maybe the bandanna.

The heart containers thing is important and doesn't spoil anything. It's good to know that you will have a goal to work toward (and don't blow all your spirit orbs on stamina).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm not sure if there's a satisfying way to draw a line between "things you should know before playing for the first time" and "things you should discover for yourself while playing for the first time" that everyone's going to agree with; especially for a game like Zelda, where part of the appeal is a million little things for you to figure out on your own, maybe people read the wiki at their own risk? It's tricky but I think you could argue about pretty much any tip on there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I removed all the secrets except bandanna, 13 hearts, and dogs (because the dog rewards are never big, it's just a cute feature you might not realize the game has.)

Edit: Also took out 'metal in a thunderstorm'. There's an actual in-game tip for that, so telling someone before they find out for themselves is just redundant.

Edit 2: Also added a TL;DR at the top for someone who wants minimum possible spoilers.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 20, 2020

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

This is a big game and you can lose a lot progress very quickly if you're not all that diligent about saving regularly.

BOTW saves incredibly often, how would you even manage to lose a lot of progress by dying from a bolt.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

BOTW saves incredibly often, how would you even manage to lose a lot of progress by dying from a bolt.
Turning off autosave... somehow?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PMush Perfect posted:

Turning off autosave... somehow?

If autosave defaults to on in a game, and you turn it off, you're probably beyond "Before I Play" territory in most cases.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Please add a before i play notice not to turn off Autosaving.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

lunar detritus posted:

When I played the game, it didn't seem to. Lost like an hour of progress once getting stomped by a random Lynel, it just punted me right back to my last manual save. I didn't know there even is an autosave setting to turn off.

I just don't really like the idea of people unilaterally removing things from the wiki based on a matter of personal opinion on what is worth knowing about without at least some real discussion.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 20, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I just don't really like the idea of people unilaterally removing things from the wiki based on a matter of personal opinion on what is worth knowing about without at least some real discussion.
I double-checked, it's already a loading screen tip, and the game warns you the first time on a new file when you're vulnerable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fair enough, I just meant in general.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Any tips for Tales of Berseria? I played a couple hours until the first boss and died (probably because I wanted to try out Hard mode). Not really feeling it so far, the graphics are really rough looking but I hope narrative picks up after the prison place.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Any tips for Tales of Berseria? I played a couple hours until the first boss and died (probably because I wanted to try out Hard mode). Not really feeling it so far, the graphics are really rough looking but I hope narrative picks up after the prison place.
I've played about two or three times that far in and I've got to say that I personally thought it didn't. Tales Of games aren't what I'd call riveting storytelling to begin with, but Berseria seems more uninteresting to me than most.

Anyway, I would recommend exploiting the chain fight mechanic. The game may have told you so already, but you can chain monster fights for bonus XP and drops. This adds up very well and it makes leveling up much faster. It's not exactly exponential, but the bonus is enough to make the struggle worth it.

Keep a copy of each equipment item. Once you have learned its skill, it is yours forever and you can hand the item off to the next person. Since you keep getting new characters, it's worth hoarding skills for later use.

Also, inflict status effects whenever you can. It restores Soul Gauge, which you can use for more powerful artes, so the more you use status effect artes, the more of them you can use.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

- I don’t think the game makes it super obvious but the quick save option is just a permanent save you can make at any time, which can help with wiping when you’re getting bored with the lower difficulty of randoms
- I think the higher difficulties nerf healing skills so there’s that.

If it looks like a PS3 game upscale that’s because it is iirc. The game picks up narratively once the party starts forming I felt like, and I ended up playing it more for the characters than the gameplay (not that that’s bad except for there being too much since the dungeons are kinda big)

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Anything for Descenders on Xbox Game Pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

The game picks up narratively once the party starts forming I felt like, and I ended up playing it more for the characters than the gameplay (not that that’s bad except for there being too much since the dungeons are kinda big)

I'm definitely the opposite. I'm a big fan of the Tales games, and I play them because of the combat. Whatever good story there is, is a side benefit. So I'd recommend playing until all of the combat mechanics have been introduced (Can't remember when that was, but I assume it's after the first boss), and if you're not enjoying it at that point, the only thing I remember about the story is how much angst there was.