Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Double post, but separate topic.

In Ghost of Tsushima, I've liberated the first area completely, but when I am somewhere high up and I can see far, I notice that what I believe is Komatsu forge is still showing a column of black smoke. I understand if that's because there's a forge there, and it produces black smoke, but it's visible from anywhere on the map so it looks like an enemy camp that I need to liberate.

Can anyone confirm this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

ahobday posted:

Double post, but separate topic.

In Ghost of Tsushima, I've liberated the first area completely, but when I am somewhere high up and I can see far, I notice that what I believe is Komatsu forge is still showing a column of black smoke. I understand if that's because there's a forge there, and it produces black smoke, but it's visible from anywhere on the map so it looks like an enemy camp that I need to liberate.

Can anyone confirm this?

Sure, I'll check right now.

Yeah, I'm in act 3 and if I climb the pagoda in the Golden Temple I see black smoke at Komatsu. It's just the forge.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Another Ghost of Tsushima thing that probably took me way too long to figure out: If a golden bird leads you to an empty building for seemingly no reason, look for an exterior place to climb with your grappling hook

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Anything for Children of Morta?

Very early in the game, but it felt strange walking through long stretches of wood without any hidden chests tucked somewhere. Just curious if I missed out something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I would recommend concentrating on progressing through the main quest until you've got most or all of the characters unlocked, which should be around the beginning of the third chapter or so. It's much easier and faster to power-level a new character in the later maps than it is to keep everyone at the same level the entire way through the game, so I'd pick one or two of the early characters and just rush through the story missions until you've got everything in the house unlocked. The game becomes much more interesting to play once you actually have all your abilities and power-ups, so don't bother grinding low-level content while you're still basically missing half of your toolbox.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Cardiovorax posted:

I would recommend concentrating on progressing through the main quest until you've got most or all of the characters unlocked, which should be around the beginning of the third chapter or so. It's much easier and faster to power-level a new character in the later maps than it is to keep everyone at the same level the entire way through the game, so I'd pick one or two of the early characters and just rush through the story missions until you've got everything in the house unlocked. The game becomes much more interesting to play once you actually have all your abilities and power-ups, so don't bother grinding low-level content while you're still basically missing half of your toolbox.

Is there a penalty or not to focus only on 1 char all the time? Other than not getting the family passive? I've read conflicting statements on this.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

srulz posted:

Is there a penalty or not to focus only on 1 char all the time? Other than not getting the family passive? I've read conflicting statements on this.
Characters that are used for multiple runs in a row get a debuff called "corruption fatigue" which reduces their maximum health, but it's not really that big of a deal. Unless you die a lot, rotating between two characters every two or three runs is usually enough to keep it at or close to zero.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

You'll want to spend some time with each character because they all have universal passive skills that you can unlock. Some of these really help in later areas.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
OK thanks guys, after I've unlocked the fireball girl finally my latest char got the Corruption status (-56% max health!). It's probably a deliberate decision by the devs though since early on you got a very limited roster anyway.

Monk guy really felt good btw, 1st time play I go on to finish the whole dungeon (the 3rd part of 1st biome), including the boss.

Some additional questions:

1. I'm starting to feel the need to grind now. Am I just upgrading wrong, or is the gold/exp income supposed to be this slow? Bear in mind that I just got to the 2nd biome.

2. How does the Animal thingie work? I try giving them treats early on for some buffs, but then the buffs reset to 0 somehow? Do I need to give them treats after every run? Or just focus on 1 animal? I may have accidentally skipped through the tutorial for that one.

3. Which hub upgrades are absolutely vital early on? I focus on damage + hp pretty much for the armory, and 1-of everything for the other one. Seems to be especially important when you get to unlock 2 relic slots later.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

srulz posted:

1. I'm starting to feel the need to grind now. Am I just upgrading wrong, or is the gold/exp income supposed to be this slow? Bear in mind that I just got to the 2nd biome.
The amount of gold you get per run always seemed very low to me, so that might end up the biggest bottleneck for you. XP scales up very quickly as you progress, though. In the first part of the third biome it is already easy to pull a character from sub-level 5 to level 12+ within one or two runs. It only goes up from there.

srulz posted:

2. How does the Animal thingie work? I try giving them treats early on for some buffs, but then the buffs reset to 0 somehow? Do I need to give them treats after every run? Or just focus on 1 animal? I may have accidentally skipped through the tutorial for that one.
Haven't played it yet, but the release info on the Steam discussion page says it's basically a maintained buff. You feed animals treats to increase happiness, which has three stages and decays over time. The happier the animal is, the stronger the effect of the buff. Keep regularly feeding them to keep the buff high. If you run out of treats, you have to find more or they stop being happy, pets being the ungrateful little jerks that they are.

srulz posted:

3. Which hub upgrades are absolutely vital early on? I focus on damage + hp pretty much for the armory, and 1-of everything for the other one. Seems to be especially important when you get to unlock 2 relic slots later.
Personally, I recommend prioritizing damage and movement speed. Killing enemies faster does more for your survivability than the max HP bonus and swiftness allows you to kite enemies more effectively. It also helps you get to the next group faster, which very is important for the boy in particular since you're really only at full effectiveness when your frenzy meter is maxed.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

The main thing I'd add to BotW is that nominally peaceful animals are not necessarily so. Some drat goat I hadn't bothered that had no reason to be hostile to me headbutted me off a mountain and nearly killed me. Since then I don't suffer goats, bears, etc to live.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Some Mortal Shell tips please?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

chairface posted:

The main thing I'd add to BotW is that nominally peaceful animals are not necessarily so. Some drat goat I hadn't bothered that had no reason to be hostile to me headbutted me off a mountain and nearly killed me. Since then I don't suffer goats, bears, etc to live.
But that's hilarious. :allears:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

chairface posted:

100% accurate goat behaviour.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Speaking of animals in video games. In Ghost of Tsushima you can kill deer but you don't get any loot for doing so because deer are sacred animals on Tsushima.

This comes up only in loading screens (or if you happen to be familiar with Tsushima's culture) so most people probably killed quite a few thinking they might drop hides for crafting.

Ops.

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

oldpainless posted:

- There are three temple zones that you need to clear to beat the game, you can take them in any order but I would recommend doing it in the order of Fire shrine -----> catacomb/Ice area ------> the Obsidian tower
- However to unlock additional weapons, you need to interact with a book and defeat a mini-boss each time. All the books are conveniently located right at the entrance of each temple zone. So consider visiting each temple once and find the weapon that suits your play style best.
-abuse the Harden ability in combat, it's a one-hit invulnerability that runs on a cool down timer, activates instantly even in the middle of an attack and you can hold the button to remain harden for a long time. Always have Harden ready to activate right before you make a risky attack.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Spiritfarer is an extremely chill Stardew Valley-like experience that has a couple of really dumb early annoyances that I think people should know about.

On your map, there are a couple of areas marked off by a line, one in particular a blue one to the north west. You can't cross this at the start of the game. If you to try to plot a course through it, the game won't warn you, but at some point your ship will just stop, and sit around doing nothing till you figure it out. You'll need to back up and go somewhere else.

When you're fishing (possibly some other points too) you might receive a bottle of glim. This is currency, but you don't actually get it until you go into your inventory and open the bottle. Same for a couple of other items. So keep checking your inventory. You'll need cash early on and you'll probably have enough if you check your inventory. Again, the game doesn't make this clear at all.

You can put more than one item in anything by selecting it multiple times, even things like the oven where nothing says this is possible.

--

On the one hand, "waaaah, why don't games tell me everything?" On the other, pointless annoyances to a very casual game.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Actually for Spiritfarer I will add :

- In case it isn't obvious, the artbook is MASSIVE SPOILERS.
- Take your time and read (if you care). The journal is good for updating your current task but stuff that is meant to evoke emotions and stuff does not repeat.
- There are movement upgrades, if you can't get somewhere you might have to wait, some early areas have a chest behind late movement
- If you forget how to play your guitar, hold the button that opens your inventory. (Y on Xbox controllers)
- You can quickly tap reel when your rod is red to keep a fish from running away while your rod recovers.
Progression stuff.
- Spirit flowers for certain upgrades are from doing your job at the Everdoor.
- Even after you've done your job you can still do gathering such a jellyfish by going to the icon that shows up when sailing through them.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 27, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I did not know that about fishing, thought you had to wait until it was back in the yellow. Nice.

Tylana posted:

- Spirit flowers for certain upgrades are from doing your job at the Everdoor.
- Even after you've done your job you can still do gathering such a jellyfish by going to the icon that shows up when sailing through them.
How about :

- some materials can only be gathered or crafted once you've found the right blueprint or done your job at the Everdoor. If you can't figure out where to get something, you'll probably have to do one of the two.
- you'll always be able to do minigames like jellyfish courses or lightning storms.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

My Lovely Horse posted:

I did not know that about fishing, thought you had to wait until it was back in the yellow. Nice.

How about :

- some materials can only be gathered or crafted once you've found the right blueprint or done your job at the Everdoor. If you can't figure out where to get something, you'll probably have to do one of the two.
- you'll always be able to do minigames like jellyfish courses or lightning storms.

Those work too. I could try to wiggle and jiggle wording all day but it's not that important.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Any tips for Deadly Premonition 2 yet?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

oldpainless posted:

* Watch out for beartraps.
* Always be ready to harden. Harden when the enemy starts swinging, even if you're in the middle of an attack. Harden while parrying. Harden when you finish one guy in a group. Harden when its time to pay rent.
* Beeline for the central tower. It's pretty much directly in front of you after the tutorial area. Inside you will meet your level-up lady and be able to detect where the other shells and weapons are. The weapons are all also at the entrance to the three dungeons you need to clear.
* Thoroughly explore the tower. The first floor holds your shells and the level-up woman, the second floor has your weapons and forge, across from that is a crumbling tower with a large armored birdman thing who will grant you the ability to parry, and going outside on the second floor and jogging around the tower will lead to a set of steps near a bell that takes you up to a merchant and a cat you can pet.
* Keep in mind the difference in tar and glimpses. Tar will drop when you die, glimpses you will hold onto but are exclusive to the shell you got them with. Make sure you're in the right shell before going ham with the glimpse-giving items.
* The shell you start with is kind of lame, it's not real great at anything but farming. The best shell, I think, is the Venerable, which you will find in a kind of blasted-out area surrounded by monoliths. It has enormous health and you should unlock its ability to gain "execution stacks" ASAP which will make it incredibly powerful. It has a small pool of stamina, but considering that stamina comes back faster when hardening, it's not a big deal at all.
* Mushrooms respawn every five minutes. There's a pretty good circuit you can carve out around the central tower that will net you ~6 healing mushrooms and ~4 poison mushrooms every lap, if you need the items and have the time.
* Using an item more will raise your familiarity with it, and maxing that out will either improve its effect or unlock a secondary one. The aforementioned poison mushroom will inflict you with poison the first time you eat it, but from then on it grants poison immunity.
* There are three acids you can get almost right away, which will level up your weapon damage and be a huge help. One is in a chest at an encampment near the big burning effigy, the other two are for sale at 2500 tar each, which seems like a lot but its worth the grind.
* There is an upgrade for the starting sword right by the tower, in a cave across from the entrance. There's a big wolf-beast boss in there, but you aren't locked into a fight with him. You can just sprint in, grab the treasure behind him, and sprint out before he even goes full aggro.
* It's best to start with the fire dungeon, past the giant burning effigy and where you find the mace weapon. It's the easiest, though by no means a cakewalk.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tylana posted:

Actually for Spiritfarer I will add :

- If you forget how to play your guitar, hold the button that opens your inventory. (Y on Xbox controllers)

I've been playing this game for 12 hours and that's news to me, thank you!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've been playing this game for 12 hours and that's news to me, thank you!

You may need to be taught to play at all/given a song first. Hard to test.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Question about Final Fantasy VII Remake: I like to have an easy time of it in JRPGs. If I skip all of the sidequests in this game, will that cause me issues, especially in terms of making the game easier?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ahobday posted:

Question about Final Fantasy VII Remake: I like to have an easy time of it in JRPGs. If I skip all of the sidequests in this game, will that cause me issues, especially in terms of making the game easier?
It's not a very hard game to begin and there are difficulty levels to make it even easier. Most sidequests are dialogue and item-driven, they generally do not involve combat, so you largely don't miss out on that much.

Mind putting the Children of Morta hints on the wiki, by the way? I think some of that was useful enough that it's probably worth having an entry for it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I did all the sidequests so couldn't tell you exactly what happens if you don't, but easy mode in the game is generally really easy, so I can't imagine you'll be set back too much. Especially if you actually take the time to actually master the mechanics of the combat system.

There are also plot beats in the game that change depending on how many sidequests you do, and one of them requires you to do no sidequests at all (except for one mandatory one that you can't skip anyway), so I have to assume the game's difficulty accounts for this

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FF7R is pretty linear and the sidequests are limited to certain chapters. If you don't do any you're going to miss out on some fun story beats but your characters won't be worthless without them. Not sure how strictly linear you want the experience to be but you would miss out on a lot of equipment and Materia if you stick to the main path and waypoints only. Going right when the game points you to go left, e.g.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 28, 2020

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Lobok posted:

FF7R is pretty linear and the sidequests are limited to certain chapters. If you don't do any you're going to miss out on some fun story beats but your character's won't be worthless without them. Not sure how strictly linear you want the experience to be but you would miss out on a lot of equipment and Materia if you stick to the main path and waypoints only. Going right when the game points you to go left, e.g.

I've heard the game has some filler, and I'd like to avoid it if I can, but if some powerful stuff is locked behind the filler I'd like to know. I've got no problem with exploring off the beaten path, though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ahobday posted:

I've heard the game has some filler, and I'd like to avoid it if I can, but if some powerful stuff is locked behind the filler I'd like to know. I've got no problem with exploring off the beaten path, though.

The big issue is that some of the main path feels like filler - like, there's a story beat that takes you through the underside of the top plate, and it's nice to look at but just takes too long. Or a rush back to Sector 7 due to an emergency means going through this entire train graveyard that has like its own little subplot and similarly is just like can we hurry this up please. But if you look around off the beaten path during these moments, there are materia and such to find.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ahobday posted:

There's definitely powerful stuff or good equipment that's part of the filler but you'd have to check a guide to know which ones to skip or not. Thankfully when it comes to general exploring of routes the game is pretty good at showing you Materia that you have to figure out how to get to if you want.

Also I'm not sure if this fits the definition of side quest but there are mini-games and gameplay challenges that will reward you with good stuff as well. Doing the VR kid's challenges or excelling at darts, things like that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wish I could remember specifics but I feel like there's definitely some powerful materia that you need to do sidequests/chadley requests/explore dead ends to find. Like I think there's only one magnify materia (the one that lets you cast spells on multiple targets) in the game and it's just lying in a tunnel somewhere.

I'm sure you could beat the game on easy without them but I still feel like the game's more fun if you get them. Also echoing above, some of the "filler" is in the critical path of the game, they added some extra plot beats and padded out some dungeons to add length to the game, you're not really going to be able to avoid it entirely.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Any game that has skills or equipment is going to have the player do side content to reach their full potential. You can survive and beat these games by bee-lining to the main story conclusion but you'll never have everything or be at maximum power.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is Children of Morta good on a controller? Can't find much about the controls online

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

PJOmega posted:

Is Children of Morta good on a controller? Can't find much about the controls online

Played through it on PS4, yeah the controller works fine. The characters that shoot stuff might be a little harder to aim, but that's it.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Suikoden II

Most of the war battles are scripted. If winning seems impossible, it probably is and you should instead focus on keeping your units alive until enough turns pass.

The default unit assignments for the war battles aren't that great so feel free to talk to Apple to change them to your liking. For example, having two characters with the cavalry ability in the same unit is redundant since you only need one cavalry character per unit to get the extra movement. However, putting a cavalry and a flying character in the same unit will stack to grant 3 movement

Most of the stars of destiny can be recruited anytime but there are a few exceptions:
-Gilbert can only be recruited during a war battle in Muse. You'll need to inflict damage on his unit and then let him talk to one of your allies on the following turn.
-Outside of a glitch exploit, Futch and Humphrey can only be recruited at the highway village during the first visit to the Matilda region.
-When you recruit Badeaux he will give you two listening stones. You can use them to recruit two out of four possible monster allies, but for some reason the red octopus will not count as a star of destiny.
-You will need a listening stone to recruit Ayda at the forest village. After defeating the griffins you'll need to use a stone to recruit her and Feather, or she'll leave forever. If you don't want Feather you can lose the battle and then talk to Ayda at the north end of the village to recruit her.
-After the conclusion of the events in Tinto, Jess will talk to you. Accept his apology to recruit him, otherwise he'll leave forever. It's the first dialog option so you don't need to worry about advancing the text too quickly.

If you want the true ending, the last chance to do any recruiting is after defeating a skeletal dragon boss and before you deploy on your next mission.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Morpheus posted:

The big issue is that some of the main path feels like filler
I mean they padded out a 5-6 hour stretch of a game to full 2020 game length, it very literally is filler.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Metal Wolf Chaos XD

- Invest in machine gun upgrade research until you get the MG200 and then the GG-RH (Richard Hawk's gatling guns). You can experiment with the other weapons but as far as I can tell the top tier machine guns can wreck poo poo fast and bring bosses to their knees.
- The M72A3/BU rocket launcher is hilariously broken because the cluster bombs it splits into can do insane damage when they all fall on targets. This is crazy useful on some boss fights. You can literally kill the cloaked dudes in Phoenix without blowing up the radars because the splash damage will hit them so hard. Just make sure to aim upwards of the target you're trying to hit so the rockets can explode into the cluster bombs.
- Shoot the statue of Michael's dad. Don't listen to what he says.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 29, 2020

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Anything for Littlewood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

SoR Blaze posted:

Anything for Littlewood?

For Littlewood mostly I'd say "No, just play." but :

- You can move everything in your town, including flowers and trees and stuff. EDIT : And if you try growing flowers, you remove them as a decoration to pick them. And probably want to look up a guide.
- Fish spawn whereever you leave a decent sized pond so you can mess with that too.
- Do most things while hanging out with someone for random extra money.
- Your journal tells you what to sell to make various travellers visit with gifts.
- Yes the monkey in the yellow hat is rude but keep talking to him.

And a number of the grinds have been much reduced from launch, so you don't need to super optimise anything.