Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Taeke posted:

Given it's a matter of strategy/preference for more experienced players (though I think the early boost is way more valuable considering how snowbally the game is) I'd take it out. Especially when keeping in mind it's meant for new players who will gain more from the early benefit than the mid game boost. You might want to put in the same doesn't go for tiles that give two or more food, though. Settling on a three food tile doesn't add to the food production over settling a one or two food tile, I'm pretty sure.

Eta: might also want to add that settling on bonus resources is a waste, but settling on certain luxery resources can be a good idea sometimes. For example, settling on hills with gold (iirc) can be a huge benefit because you get both the hammer and the gold (from the luxery) added to your city production without having to work the tile, while also instantly getting the luxery resource once you've researched the needed tech without having to build a mine on it first.

I believe that you get the bonus 3rd food production. Cities have a minimum yield of 2F/1P but if either value is higher then you get that new production. Main thing you miss out from settling on a resource is that you don't get any bonus from techs that increase improvement yield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
True. I personally feel that a windmill's 2 hammers plus 10% toward buildings outweighs the initial 1 hammer, but it's up to you. The only *really* important things are: build next to a river, and build so it can harvest something.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I remember hearing that Vampyr's skill system had some fairly obscure gotchas, but I can't find any specific mentions on the wiki... I know Bite is OP, you need some source of shadow damage (Abyss) but I vaguely remember that there was something really counter-intuitive about combat, I think revolving around applying stuns?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

I remember hearing that Vampyr's skill system had some fairly obscure gotchas, but I can't find any specific mentions on the wiki... I know Bite is OP, you need some source of shadow damage (Abyss) but I vaguely remember that there was something really counter-intuitive about combat, I think revolving around applying stuns?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Claws is pretty bad, avoid that.

Personally, I love increased bite damage. If you're using a high stun two hander like you should be, it's extra free damage that stacks up quickly and gives you blood to boot.

Pistols are pretty dog poo poo as well past very early game.

Unless you are a playing a "embrace nobody" run, there is a very difficult boss fight that has a priest sitting in the middle of the arena. Kill that fucker unless you want the fight to be turbo stupid.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I never use the parry move, there's no need when 3 hits knocks their asses out. If you want to do that though, there is a Prywyn stake that is fully upgradeable for your offhand, don't remember where it is though.

I swore I read that the priest in the boss fight counted against the "not even once" achievement, but maybe I'm wrong. Kill that fucker.

Embracing nobody gives you the best ending, but like they said above, you get up to 4 for the good ending. They do that specifically so you can murk a couple people that fuckin suck.

Speaking of, embracing certain people will cause things to happen sometimes after next rest. Example, embracing the crazy chick who thinks she's a vampire will cause the burn victim dude to become a monster in the morgue the next night, who is actually worth more experience to kill than if you bit him, and doesn't count against you!

Always check your map for ! and do them before resting. You can be permanently locked out of some hints that can gently caress up things for you later.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Perfect, thank you!!

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Anything for 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I suppose that's probably something you already know since it is part of the selling point of the game, but in case you don't: the narrative is non-linear and chronologically out of order, so expect to see a lot of things that will not make sense right away and may in fact not make sense until a second playthrough.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Breadnought posted:

When choosing which abilities to upgrade, look out for party members with something called a "Hyper Condenser." This will upgrade another of that party member's abilities, making those units very powerful if you upgrade those abilities and use them in battle (make sure to equip the Hyper Condenser as a skill after unlocking it though).

You never need to use the rest function and lose your score multiplayer. If a unit is suffering from brain overload, they'll automatically reset to 0 and be useable again after you play another mission. So if you're about to go into a mission and you want to use one of your overloaded characters, just go back and replay the first mission or something with your B-team and your overloaded A-team units will be good to go.

I ended up playing the game on casual mode just to see the story, so I'm unqualified to give any advice on how to play the game in any kind of challenging way. However what I will say is that if you do choose to play on casual, what you can do is just deploy 1 or 2 units with the "interceptor" ability (even better if it's improved with hyper condenser) and just spam that and allow the battles to play themselves basically automatically (whichever units you don't actively deploy will still show up as AI defenders around your node and contribute to the fight).

I S-ranked just about every mission in the game this way on the first try. The final mission finally sent me too many respawning waves of enemies for my interceptors to chew through, so I had to actually use my melee units to take out the factories, but everything else was very mindless. So if you are finding that you aren't enjoying the battles and just want to get on with it, that's basically a mindless win button that doesn't require you to micromanage too much. Again--I can only testify that this worked on casual, I assume this advice does not apply on higher difficulties

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Breadnought posted:

Sentry guns are stupidly overpowered

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nachos posted:

Sentry guns are stupidly overpowered

This along with interceptors is another keystone in my "deploy one unit and let the game play itself" casual strategy

As far as the story mode of the game, the less you know the better honestly. It's basically a visual novel, just enjoy the ride.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Breadnought posted:

Even though the story looks like there's a bunch of branching places, it's almost totally linear.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Thanks for the tips all!

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have any tips for starting out in DemonCrawl? The concept of a Minesweeper RPG seems pretty solid to me, but after my first few runs I really feel like I have no idea what any of the items do or what I should be trying to do in a given run other than "Don't click on monster squares." In particular I'm not sure what, if anything, I should be doing to work on progress between runs. Anyone have any advice?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any tips for starting out in DemonCrawl? The concept of a Minesweeper RPG seems pretty solid to me, but after my first few runs I really feel like I have no idea what any of the items do or what I should be trying to do in a given run other than "Don't click on monster squares." In particular I'm not sure what, if anything, I should be doing to work on progress between runs. Anyone have any advice?
In all honesty, while I feel like the metaprogression stuff can be helpful, a successful run will come down more to what the RNG gives you during that run, especially on higher difficulties. About the only major advice I'd offer is to figure out how "chording" works. Basically, if you have all of the mines marked around a number, you can left-click on the number to open all of the remaining unrevealed squares. So for example, if you have a 3, and there are already 3 mines marked around it, clicking on the 3 will open all of the other squares around it without having to click on each square individually.

Not only do some items rely on chording, it's an important distinction because chording a number only counts as one turn, and it also counts as only clicking on the square that you chorded. So if you want to open a burning square (which would normally damage you when you click it), you can chord a square next to it and you won't get hurt (because you didn't click it, you clicked a different square!). You also know what number you're clicking on, in case one of your items or stage mods makes you want to click/not click a specific number. Best of all, you can't gently caress it up. If you have a 3 and try to chord it with only 2 mines marked, it just won't let you. It's an incredibly useful technique both for speed and gameplay benefits.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I picked up the STALKER series as part of the Steam autumn sale. Is there anything I need to know for Shadow of Chernobyl or Clear Sky, or can I just apply what the wiki has for Call of Pripyat (aside from clearly CoP-specific stuff)? Recommendations for stability/QoL mods (if any) would be great too.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Any tips for crusader kings 3? I played a bit of 2 but never got far in it, so far this seems like the same game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Paper Tiger posted:

I picked up the STALKER series as part of the Steam autumn sale. Is there anything I need to know for Shadow of Chernobyl or Clear Sky, or can I just apply what the wiki has for Call of Pripyat (aside from clearly CoP-specific stuff)? Recommendations for stability/QoL mods (if any) would be great too.
There's a page for Shadow of Chernobyl here, it's just badly named: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=STALKER:_Shadow_Of_Chernobyl

By and large, though, the games are very similar. There's mostly nothing that wouldn't work in one of them which wouldn't also work in the rest.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Any tips for Deep Sky Derelicts?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pay close attention to your energy. For your first few missions, it's going to be the biggest limiting factor because scanning is important and you don't get many easy ways to restore it. Carry batteries whenever you can, because having to cancel a mission for lack of energy can easily leave you in a downwards spiral where you end up stuck because you money to buy energy and no energy to earn money with.

Also, the game is very repetitive, so if at any point you feel a sense of "so, that's it?" you've pretty much reached the point where you've seen everything the game has to offer. At that point, you should only keep going if you really enjoy the gameplay for its own sake.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

There's a page for Shadow of Chernobyl here, it's just badly named: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=STALKER:_Shadow_Of_Chernobyl

Thanks for pointing this out. I've changed the name.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anything for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Paper Tiger posted:

SOC really does need a quality of life mod but there are plenty that do it now. Get a rifle ASAP, best place is at the military checkpoint at the tunnel just north of the starting area. No shame in spamming the quick save/quick load until you get one, the starting weapons are just miserably bad. It's important that you don't go to the ending area until you know everything about Strelok, or you'll get a shorter and lamer ending.

The faction system in Clear Sky is pretty broken unmodded. You get some gear out of engaging in it but I wouldn't make it much of a focus unless you want to go down big time modding rabbit holes. Once you're done with the starting Swamps area of Clear Sky there is only one exit to the next area, and it spits you out into a challenging situation. If you are repeatedly dying in that situation, you can go back into the Swamps and it will have added another exit, you just have to leave the Swamps and re-enter them. You'll have to do some backtracking around and it's really not ideal, but if you are getting frustrated, it's an option. Waiting until night also helps, or some of the mods make the situation less challenging. Yes, the enemies' skill and accuracy with grenade throwing is absurd. You just have to accept that everyone else in the CS Zone is an alumni of the Ukrainian shot put team. Some mods fix this.

SOC is the one that covers the most story, and the plot will make the most sense if you play that one first. I think it's the best one too. Either Clear Sky or COP you can go with next but COP is the most polished and second best of the three so I would probably wait on Clear Sky until you are really sure that you love the STALKER world and want even more of it. Even though it's the worst of the three, it still has some cool parts.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 28, 2020

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Luring soldiers from the southern military outpost to the loner camp is also a good way to get a rifle early.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Check the forum thread for the current best Stalker mods. Shadow of Chernobyl is the best horror game out of the three and a good introduction to the series. Clear Skies has some serious bugs and is the weaker of the three, so consider skipping straight to Call of Pripyat.

The plot is frankly a little hard to grasp no matter what, because it’s badly translated Russian magic realism. So don’t feel obligated to do it all in order.

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007
So I'm about to start playing Bloodborne, so I asked a friend who is a Bloodborne veteran what he thought of the tips I saw on the site. Regarding this one:

"The other big change is that parrying and backstabs are out, instead you can do a special type of parry using guns only."

He points out two things.

1. A special type of parry using guns only is still a parry, so they are not actually "out".

2. Apparently backstabs are totally in the game?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Backstabs are still in but they're much harder to pull off, and may not do as much damage? Not sure on the second part

Backstabs require charged attacks this time, not just positioning and a light attack like before

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Backstabs deal pretty big damage because its combined damage from the initial charged heavy attack + follow up visceral attack.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Backstabs are Visceral Attacks in Bloodborne You dont have to be behind the enemy to do them, you have to:

A) A parry, performed by shooting something as it does an attack

Or

B) Hitting something in the back with a charged attack.

Youll know you can do a VA because youll get the cool sfx and the enemy will drop to one knee, allowing you to RIP AND TEAR. Also you get a small bonus to echoes dropped if you kill with a VA.

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 28, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The game calls them the same thing, but as mentioned, there is a separate kind of backstab. They do require charging up your attack beforehand, which makes them effectively useless in combat and something that you can really only pull off in specific circumstances. For all intents and purposes, backstabbing in the Dark Souls sense is not a part of the game.

Parrying in Bloodborne is very interesting and in a lot of ways it's easier than in its predecessor games, because not having to pay attention to your positioning means you can pay a lot more time to your timing. If you equip the right kind of gun, your parries also happen near-instantly, as opposed to in the middle of a relatively slow shield swing, so parrying is not only in the game, it's also very powerful and something that you should try to master as soon as possible.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's also possible to beat the game without too much fuss without parrying once, so don't worry if you can't get a hang of the timing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh yeah, you can definitely also do it without parrying at all, and some guns are in fact meant for shooting and hurting things rather than to parry with. It's incredibly powerful, though, and the game goes out of its way to make it easy for you. Even bosses can be parried and visceraled. The basic gameplay formula of Bloodborne is what they refined to make Sekiro in a lot of ways.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Got Rebel Galaxy for a couple bucks in the steam sale.

Is it best played with a controller or mouse and keyboard? I'm fine with either.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Got Rebel Galaxy for a couple bucks in the steam sale.

Is it best played with a controller or mouse and keyboard? I'm fine with either.
I'd personally suggest a controller. It's overall a fairly simply game and the "Sid Meier's Pirates!" style of naval combat works well with controllers. If it doesn't work for you, you can still switch, but that's my recommendation.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd personally suggest a controller. It's overall a fairly simply game and the "Sid Meier's Pirates!" style of naval combat works well with controllers. If it doesn't work for you, you can still switch, but that's my recommendation.

Excellent, thanks.

Also a little note for Monster Hunter World: A new tier of encounters and armour is unlocked after the second encounter with the big bad. So don't feel obligated to grind hunts for upgrades that aren't necessary before then. The new gear is way better.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone got anything for Sunless Skies?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
First time player for Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire though I did play PoE1 a long time ago.

Any advice or pointers beyond what is on the wiki?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Even bosses can be parried and visceraled.
I'd specify that many bosses can be parried, but there needs to be a big disclaimer that not all can. Without spoiling names, the human/giant human bosses all can be parried, and the smaller beast-shaped ones probably can be. But giant hulking beasts generally can't be.

I think you can visceral most of the bosses, but you have to do something different to stagger the ones who can't be parried to open them up for it. Many will stagger if you damage a specific limb or the head enough to wound it, which can have the added bonus of making the wounded part take more damage if you keep hitting it.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
FTL: Faster Than Light
  • It's a good idea to start on easy difficulty. The game's still no pushover until you get a grip on the systems and it gives you extra currency (scrap) so you're more free to experiment with different upgrades. It also isn't too bad an idea to leave advanced mode disabled until you've beaten the game once.
  • Try mousing over everything, the game's pretty good about providing info. The ship upgrade screen has extra tabs if you want to review what bonuses your crew gets due to their species or more detailed descriptions on your weapons.
  • If the enemy ship has shields, it's usually better to manually fire your weapons so they land simultaneously rather than shooting them asap or letting them auto-fire. Ion weapons can be an exception if you're using them to lock down shields and you may want to tweak the timing for things like missiles that you'd prefer to land first.
  • It's pretty hard to outright kill ship boarders with asphyxiation until the ship doors are well upgraded. You can still use it to weaken them and boarders will avoid low O2 areas which can be used to funnel them in/out of key areas. Usually the best option to fight in is the medbay since friendly crew can still be healed while fighting and even lvl1 makes them near immortal. There's some early impossible-seeming boarding events that can be solved just by sending all the crew to medbay, venting the rest of the ship, then intentionally letting the attackers into the medbay room with the crew and closing the door behind them.
  • Drones tend to be a bit mediocre, but one notable superstar is the defense drone I, which targets incoming missiles. Missiles penetrate shields, so they're always a concern but the drone's an easy counter. It'll also shoot down boarding drones, making them an overall godsend in the last sector.

yook fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 30, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

yook posted:

FTL: Faster Than Light
  • It's a good idea to start on easy difficulty. The game's still no pushover until you get a grip on the systems and it gives you extra currency (scrap) so you're more free to experiment with different upgrades. It also isn't too bad an idea to leave advanced mode disabled until you've beaten the game once.
  • Try mousing over everything, the game's pretty good about providing info. The ship upgrade screen has extra tabs if you want to review what bonuses your crew gets due to their species or more detailed descriptions on your weapons.
  • If the enemy ship has shields, it's usually better to manually fire your weapons so they land simultaneously rather than shooting them asap or letting them auto-fire. Ion weapons can be an exception if you're using them to lock down shields and you may want to tweak the timing for things like missiles that you'd prefer to land first.
  • It's pretty hard to outright kill ship boarders with asphyxiation until the ship doors are well upgraded. You can still use it to weaken them and boarders will avoid low O2 areas which can be used to funnel them in/out of key areas. Usually the best option to fight in is the medbay since friendly crew can still be healed while fighting and even lvl1 makes them near immortal. There's some early impossible-seeming boarding events that can be solved just by sending all the crew to medbay, venting the rest of the ship, then intentionally letting the attackers into the medbay room with the crew and closing the door behind them.
  • Drones tend to be a bit mediocre, but one notable superstar is the defense drone I, which targets incoming missiles. Missiles penetrate shields, so they're always a concern but the drone's an easy counter. It'll also shoot down boarding drones, making them an overall godsend in the last sector.
I'll add these to the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Can we get anything more robust for Demons Souls? I realize there are TONS of articles and tutorials on the web, but it seems like they all are for people who already know the ins and outs of the game. As someone who has like 5 bosses down, but still feel like I've misserably mis-specced myself, I'd appreciate any write up.

Edit: I'm at the point where the crescent falchion from 4-1 and my royal class no longer feels like it's the best option, but my strength build isn't really doing much with anything else either.