Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Anything for Dex? Specifically the early levels before getting augmentations. This game is hard as gently caress and I can’t progress on any of like 10 open quests because I get insta destroyed in combat and hacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I would be interested in that as well. I never made it far past the very beginning of the game because it really is just balls hard with seemingly no real way to go.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I wrote this up years ago (and it's on the wiki):

You can defeat most melee enemies simply by blocking, hitting them with a combo, and blocking again. You can deal with ranged enemies the same way, once you get close (great for handling Armagear soldiers).

Unless you want to challenge yourself, there's absolutely no reason not to get the "hack enemies" skill. There are no hidden drawbacks - you can just hack everyone on the screen, take a bunch of enemies out, then hack the survivors all over again when they start to come around.

If you've installed the "Extra Outfits" DLC, you can access the outfits near the "Slicer Warehouse" in the Industrial Zone.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Any tips for Pathologic 2?

I'm surprised we don't have an entry for this, thought it has been brought up before. It's essentially a remake of Pathologic 1 so a lot of that carries over, but since it is a standalone...

- The primary way to get resources is trading with townspeople, and the items they want are often found in trash cans. Try and search every one you can find. Trades favorable to the NPC will raise your reputation in the area slightly.

- Kids tend to have the best items, and they will trade in exchange for nuts and anything sharp (due to a town rule that kids cannot own anything sharp)

- Shmowders are sometimes sold by kids, they require a lot in trade but they are far cheaper than the items they are a replacement for. Get one if you can when you see them, you'll find a use for them later.

- You will get a daily quest, make sure you get it from the hospital *before* you do anything to ensure your actions count for it. It's very easy to lose track of time and forget about the quest entirely.

- A lot of the language and background of the game will seem strange and arcane because it is intentionally written as if you are from the area and already know what all those words means and who these people are, because the PC is a guy from the town returning from afar. You're going to be confused, just roll with it and you'll pick up what you need over time.

- The medicine you use is going to be made from plants you find out in the steppe, these are both valuable on their own and useful for said drugs. There is someone in town who will offer you a lot for them, so if you find yourself with any relatively free time then wander out and look for some. They make a buzzing sound.

- The more medicine you have to use on yourself, the less you have for the town. Try to avoid getting hurt, and ten times over try to avoid getting the plague.

- There may come a time when a man on a stage offers you a deal. Don't take it, no matter how desperate you are.

- As a member of the surgeon caste you are given a special right by the town that allows you to perform surgery on bodies. This means that the cash value that you can get from a corpse doesn't stop at what is in their clothes. Doesn't mean the townsfolk will be happy about it, though.

- Most of all, just don't give up. Pathologic is a game about having no resources, and you're going to be starving and watching people dying around you for the whole game. There's no avoiding it, so just do your best. Not everyone is getting out alive unless you are extraordinarily lucky.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 15, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Greedfall? The wiki is rather sparse.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Greedfall? The wiki is rather sparse.

Oh dear me posted:

There will be some political shenanigans maybe half way though the game - until then, do your companion's quests promptly, or you'll miss your chance.

After then, make sure you visit the Bridge alliance to get their quests. The game doesn't tell you they're available at that point and you'll miss out if you don't check.

Those are the only traps I can remember - otherwise just play as you like.

The game really isn't that hard or complicated. Visit all the main cities and do the main quest there until you get a companion. I missed out on one for hours because I was doing other poo poo. There is only one companion per faction so if you get them right away gently caress off to another city and grab the next companion.

If you're trying to find secrets movement abilities and lockpicking are the best for that. You can get around this by swapping out capes and equipment.

There isn't a unique set of sailor clothes, much to my disappointment, but there are uniques for most other things.

Other than treasure chests every container in this game will eventually refill after 1 in game day, maybe 2.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

nachos posted:

Anything for Dex? Specifically the early levels before getting augmentations. This game is hard as gently caress and I can’t progress on any of like 10 open quests because I get insta destroyed in combat and hacking.

On an additional note, besides the advice offered earlier, you want to invest in Hacking and Hacking-related stuff anyway. There's quite a few mandatory hacking segments which will go down easier if you invested in the skill.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Planning to pick up Atelier Ryza on PC tonight or tomorrow, if anyone has any suggestions

Haven't even tried to play one of the series in years

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pooncha posted:

On an additional note, besides the advice offered earlier, you want to invest in Hacking and Hacking-related stuff anyway. There's quite a few mandatory hacking segments which will go down easier if you invested in the skill.
Oh yeah, that's also on the wiki:
https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dex

Didn't want to just copy it wholesale.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I want tips for Fable Anniversary because it's not on the website and the sum of goon knowledge for the original game seems to be "corner and beat your wife for massive gains".

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
fable 1 is fable 1, there isn't a lot of heads-up to give because it's a pretty straightforward and basic game.

leveling your abilities increases your age. anniversary reduced the rate at which doing so ages you compared to the first. you can reduce your age by up to 20 years by making valuable offerings to the jesus god and to the satan god, but save first because you can only get it once and making the offering only unlocks the highest age reduction, but doesn't necessarily give them to you.

might skills make your guy beefier, speed skills make your guy taller and lankier, and magic skills give you burning eyes and glowing blue lines on your skin but they build in intensity so slowly that you'll be an old man by the time you can even see them. simply accumulating exp without spending it WILL NOT increase your age.

the first time you pull the sword from the stone and fail, you have to increase your main strength stat by 2 (or to the maximum) before you can succeed.

"poo poo" is NOT the password

everything else about the game is kind of in-depth or secret knowledge you wouldn't find in a brief tips overview, like i can't list how to open all the demon doors or the best ways to cheese the lovely bar games, but there are various guides for them that go well into detail.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 17, 2021

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

It's either Fable 1 or 2 but keeping a big combo going trivializes combat by giving your tonnes of XP and you can just chain lightning onto everyone to get a giant combo.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Flannelette posted:

It's either Fable 1 or 2 but keeping a big combo going trivializes combat by giving your tonnes of XP and you can just chain lightning onto everyone to get a giant combo.

To piggy back off of this the potions that give you experience have the amount of experience they give tied to the combat multiplier. When combined with an area later that feels like enemies will spawn infinitely you can get a disgusting amount of experience. Since that's powergamery I would suggest saving the potions for the Colosseum.

I would also add trade goods are not worth it unless you exploit the money system. The game is easy enough as it is that's not really necessary.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The magic spell that deflects a hit will mean your combo does not reset, allowing you to farm ridiculous xp.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
When your magic gets low, he says "watch that".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

This is for Death Stranding's page. It has new tips and incorporates most of the old ones.

You can continue playing after the story is over and none of the trophies/achievements are missable.

There's a super exhaustive Tips section in the menu under Data.

Holding the triggers/mouse buttons makes it hard to stumble or fall. It does make you move slower.

Ladders are almost more useful as impromptu bridges than as climbing aids. You can use them to cross both bodies of water and just generally rough terrain. Always carry ladders (and never forget a climbing anchor either).

When you are not carrying a lot of cargo you are able to double jump when you're sprinting to get across small rivers. While wearing the Speed Exoskeleton it becomes a massive leap forwards, worthy of an Olympic athlete.

You need to stop moving to see/scan BTs. Scanning will keep them revealed for a couple of seconds, even if you start moving again.

There is little benefit to staying in Episode 2 to make additional deliveries. You'll get way more tools and things to do from Episode 3 on. You will also be able to travel back to that section of the game.

The only things in Episode 2 you might want are the Bridges cap and the harmonica. You get the Bridges cap for having 3 stars in Capital Knot City. Delivery Order #13 sends you back to that location with enough chance to also pick up some lost cargo on the way there. For the harmonica you need to complete the order the Musician gives you. You just need to find his shelter first.

From Episode 3 on you can steal a truck from MULEs. The amount of cargo it can carry is amazing. You can't park MULE trucks in the garage and have them be repaired, but parking under a roof will make them last longer.

If you want the ability to create your own trucks, you need to keep working on mission orders. After finishing the Junk Dealer's questline, his shelter will offer Order #35: Prototype Delivery and you can fabricate trucks after completing it.

Before you start bringing materials to an Auto-Paver to construct a piece of the road: check if that Auto-Paver falls within the chiral network because you connected a nearby settlement/shelter. An unconnected Auto-Paver won't receive material contributions by other players over time, so it would force you to be the ONLY contributor.

When selecting a bot delivery order, the percentage you see is how much DAMAGE the cargo will have taken upon arrival. It is NOT the CONDITION of the cargo, so 90% means you will get a terrible rating.

A handful of the prepper shelters are not part of any mission orders and you'll have to find the place they live first. They might be hesitant to join your organization. To get them to join: 1. Make a delivery, 2. Rest in a private room, 3. Read the e-mail they send you, 4. Repeat. You won't get stars for them by simply bringing delivery after delivery.

A lot of weaponry have effects when you hold the button/charge an attack.

There's a button for liking structures by other players and to have Sam shout into the world. The voice lines are different depending on when and where you press that button.

Your Porter Grade is visually represented by a five-pointed star. The toughest portion to level to 60/purple is Delivery Time, which goes up when completing Standard Orders that are marked as "time-sensitive" or "urgent".

Late game there are standard orders that are marked as "chilled deliveries". Transporting the cargo in one of your trucks will keep them cool.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 23, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Standard caveat of play your own way, etc, but there's zero reason not to to just keep on burning through the story from Chapter 3 to Chapter 5, as Chapter 3's pretty much a brief pause in the story expecting you to poke around the immediate area for a little bit before getting on with the plot (rather than roaming the whole map doing as you please). Chapter 5 gives you the last of the story-given tools and quality-of-life improvements, and from there you've officially got the whole map open to exploration and forming Strands.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've been playing Othercide and loving it, but the game structure is a little different than what I'm used to and the terminology is confusing. So here's a quick reference to how the game works

It's a tactics roguelite in that you do runs, unlock stuff, then either die or willingly start over from the beginning, now with a few upgrades.

Terms:

Recollection: a run. So you start a recollection, get as far as you can, unlock stuff, then eventually eat poo poo. Start a new recollection.
Remembrance: a global modifier applied to a recollection (daughters have +15% health, do 15% more damage to enemy X, etc). You unlock them during play, then activate them during your next recollection. Cost shards to activate.
Memories: consider them item drops from enemies that you can equip to modify your daughters' attacks. Costs vitae to equip. Are one time use, you can override one but cannot unequip it to use later.
Shards: rewarded from missions. Used to purchase remembrances you've unlocked for your next recollection. So you go through a recollection, completing missions and gathering shards. Eventually you die or voluntarily end your recollection and start a new one. Now you have a bank of shards you can spend on remembrances
Vitae: rewarded from missions. Used to create new daughters and equip memories to their attacks

And here are a few general tips:

If you're going to burst, there's no additional penalty for using all your AP. So if you need to spend 51 AP, you might as well spend 100.

If you want to heal a daughter, you must sacrifice one of equal or higher level. If you have a resurrection token, an ideal situation would be to have two daughters of equal level and low health. Figure out which one you want to toss into the wood chipper to heal the other, then use your resurrection token to bring her back. Just be aware of the following:
The daughter that gets healed will also receive a positive trait from her sister. This trait is dependent on the class of the sacrificed daughter
When resurrected, the sacrificed daughter will lose any memories she had equipped

Enemies operate in a clearly defined, predictable pattern. Until they loving don't. Be prepared for them to occasionally attack immediately after spawning, or a scavenger to disagree with you on which daughter is farthest away from him, etc.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Here's one for Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, which is free this weekend.

- Scroll up on the page with class selection. There is an extensive skill tree.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I've been playing Othercide and loving it, but the game structure is a little different than what I'm used to and the terminology is confusing. So here's a quick reference to how the game works

It's a tactics roguelite in that you do runs, unlock stuff, then either die or willingly start over from the beginning, now with a few upgrades.

I've never heard of this game before, but it sounds like it may be very much my thing, in that I love turn based tactics, and roguelite mechanics, and a quick google tells me I dont dislike the art style... Other than "You are loving it", are there any other impressions you can share, is it similar to other games?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

SiKboy posted:

I've never heard of this game before, but it sounds like it may be very much my thing, in that I love turn based tactics, and roguelite mechanics, and a quick google tells me I dont dislike the art style... Other than "You are loving it", are there any other impressions you can share, is it similar to other games?

At this point I am at about halfway through the game.

It's difficult to describe...but in a broad sense, it reminds me of Sting games like Knights in the Nightmare or Gungnir, in that just about every decision you make needs to be weighed. You have a squad of "daughters" that get sent out on missions. Combat is heavily dependent on the timeline (like Gungnir!), which you have some control over (like Gungnir!). You can choose to move and attack (or attack and move, or attack and attack, etc) until half your AP are spent. At that point you have a choice: end your daughter's turn and she will wait another 50 time units to act again, or push her over the threshold (called "burst" in game). Now she has another equal amount of AP to use but she will spend 100 time units cooling down. You have to make this choice for every daughter on every turn. It leads to some really interesting theorycrafting. "Ah gently caress, Celeste hit that monster but didn't kill him and he's next on the timeline; she's gonna get a knuckle sandwich. Hmm, if I have her burst, she can get another attack and kill him, but she'll still be in cooldown while that other monster can get to her. I could probably have Divine intervene like this..." etc. Adding to the strategy is the fact that it's difficult to heal your daughters. The only way is to sacrifice another daughter, so you cringe every time someone gets hit. Additionally, there are moves that are pretty drat good but require a health sacrifice to use. So you're trying to decide if it's worth it.

There are only three classes of daughters, but in my opinion that's enough; I think it would get overcomplicated with too many more. As your daughters level up they occasionally get the choice of new skills to learn, but in my experience there's usually one very clearly superior skill to get.

The upgrades you unlock are pretty meaningful. Especially some traits the individual daughters can earn...some real surprising (for me) game changers in there. Add to that the ability to assign "memories" to their skills and there is a tremendous opportunity for team cohesion. "If I equip Celeste with the memory that reduces the target's armor by 50, it would be ideal to have Hope follow up with a backstab...". Note, I haven't delved too deeply into this level of tactics, mostly because unfortunately the game doesn't communicate what daughter has which memory/skill equipped during battle, so I guess you're expected to keep a spreadsheet or something.

The core tactics are fantastic in my opinion and I can easily recommend the game if it sounds interesting. Having said that, there is a fairly long list of things I would like to see improved. It's one of those situations where the criticisms I make are in the hope that they get fixed or are addressed in a sequel, fingers crossed. Not like a "gently caress this poo poo what were they thinking" kind of way. There is a fair bit of jank. I just got wiped by a boss partially because the AoE markers she laid didn't disappear after the move. Then she casted it again. I was like wtf which squares are safe oh jesus. Also, enemies don't always act consistently, which is frustrating, especially when one of your daughters gets beaten on because the enemy decided to do his own thing. The crux of the game is to be able to plan poo poo out, but unreliable enemy behavior can ruin that. And any damage your daughters take sucks.

Prior to getting wiped, I was chuckling a lot because my top Blademaster, Celeste, was tricked out really well. Seriously she was OUT OF CONTROL, just slaughtering everyone (with support from her sisters). It was super fun. Then the boss fed us all some poo poo! I can't wait to start over with my new abilities now!

I'm going to stop now or I'll continue to blab about this game; it is very thought provoking even when you're not playing. If you want me to expand on anything let me know

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

WHY BONER NOW posted:

At this point I am at about halfway through the game.

It's difficult to describe...but in a broad sense, it reminds me of Sting games like Knights in the Nightmare or Gungnir, in that just about every decision you make needs to be weighed. You have a squad of "daughters" that get sent out on missions. Combat is heavily dependent on the timeline (like Gungnir!), which you have some control over (like Gungnir!). You can choose to move and attack (or attack and move, or attack and attack, etc) until half your AP are spent. At that point you have a choice: end your daughter's turn and she will wait another 50 time units to act again, or push her over the threshold (called "burst" in game). Now she has another equal amount of AP to use but she will spend 100 time units cooling down. You have to make this choice for every daughter on every turn. It leads to some really interesting theorycrafting. "Ah gently caress, Celeste hit that monster but didn't kill him and he's next on the timeline; she's gonna get a knuckle sandwich. Hmm, if I have her burst, she can get another attack and kill him, but she'll still be in cooldown while that other monster can get to her. I could probably have Divine intervene like this..." etc. Adding to the strategy is the fact that it's difficult to heal your daughters. The only way is to sacrifice another daughter, so you cringe every time someone gets hit. Additionally, there are moves that are pretty drat good but require a health sacrifice to use. So you're trying to decide if it's worth it.

There are only three classes of daughters, but in my opinion that's enough; I think it would get overcomplicated with too many more. As your daughters level up they occasionally get the choice of new skills to learn, but in my experience there's usually one very clearly superior skill to get.

The upgrades you unlock are pretty meaningful. Especially some traits the individual daughters can earn...some real surprising (for me) game changers in there. Add to that the ability to assign "memories" to their skills and there is a tremendous opportunity for team cohesion. "If I equip Celeste with the memory that reduces the target's armor by 50, it would be ideal to have Hope follow up with a backstab...". Note, I haven't delved too deeply into this level of tactics, mostly because unfortunately the game doesn't communicate what daughter has which memory/skill equipped during battle, so I guess you're expected to keep a spreadsheet or something.

The core tactics are fantastic in my opinion and I can easily recommend the game if it sounds interesting. Having said that, there is a fairly long list of things I would like to see improved. It's one of those situations where the criticisms I make are in the hope that they get fixed or are addressed in a sequel, fingers crossed. Not like a "gently caress this poo poo what were they thinking" kind of way. There is a fair bit of jank. I just got wiped by a boss partially because the AoE markers she laid didn't disappear after the move. Then she casted it again. I was like wtf which squares are safe oh jesus. Also, enemies don't always act consistently, which is frustrating, especially when one of your daughters gets beaten on because the enemy decided to do his own thing. The crux of the game is to be able to plan poo poo out, but unreliable enemy behavior can ruin that. And any damage your daughters take sucks.

Prior to getting wiped, I was chuckling a lot because my top Blademaster, Celeste, was tricked out really well. Seriously she was OUT OF CONTROL, just slaughtering everyone (with support from her sisters). It was super fun. Then the boss fed us all some poo poo! I can't wait to start over with my new abilities now!

I'm going to stop now or I'll continue to blab about this game; it is very thought provoking even when you're not playing. If you want me to expand on anything let me know

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time. It sounds pretty cool, I think I'll definitely be picking it up in the near future!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Anything for Sakuna of Rice and Ruin? I'm having trouble with basically all of it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm about to finish up No More Heroes and I'm going to start No More Heroes 2 and just want to know what changes I should expect.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leavemywife posted:

I'm about to finish up No More Heroes and I'm going to start No More Heroes 2 and just want to know what changes I should expect.

No open world, 8-bit pastiche minigames instead of the odd jobs and Dark Step is harder. Along with the new beam katana types (like Duel Wield), that..should be it? There's nothing you need to know in advance.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Cool! Does it feel better to play? Occasionally the first one feels a little...Clunky? Not smooth? I don't know how to describe it, but sometimes, it's a little rough around the edges, but not enough to make me quit. I'm having a fabulous time.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kruller posted:

Anything for Sakuna of Rice and Ruin? I'm having trouble with basically all of it.

Want words about rice game so bad.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Kruller posted:

This is disorganized, so bear with me.

First of all, don't worry, you're supposed have no clue in the beginning. Learning how to be a good farmer is part of the game's theme. The first winter, when you have almost no supplies, is going to be rough.

Talk to Myrthe to eat dinner and advance the clock to nighttime (if you talk to her at night it does not advance the clock). If you talk to her again, you can choose to rest until morning.

The foods you eat at dinner give Sakuna buffs and bonuses to stats in combat that last until she runs out of fullness. It's possible to manually set the menu; you can pick any five dishes that you have the ingredients to make. It's not required to have one main dish, side course, dessert, etc.; you can eat five servings of dried meat if you want. You need to eat a dish that gives Natural Healing in order to regenerate health in combat stages! Most rice and grain dishes give this buff.

Processing food prevents it from going bad, but rotten food is an important fertilizer ingredient. If you check the storeroom by talking to Myrthe, you can see what foods will spoil and how many more days they will last.

Performing farming tasks gradually gives passive perks, such as seeing a grid for optimal seedling placement or being able to work faster. You can deactivate these perks if you want.

When it's been raining for a couple days straight, talking to Tauemon will unlock the ability to pray for specific weather. The weather forecast is visible in the bottom right of the rice crop overview.

Checking the status of the rice (via the menu prompt in the center of your field, or by talking to Tauemon) gives you an overview. This overview has multiple tabs! The other tabs show you meters describing any maladies or protections. This is how you find out if your rice has mold and needs treatment.

Catching frogs, snails, and spiders pops up a little percentage. This number just describes the level of pest protection each of those critters is providing.

It's hard to screw up your rice. If you're protecting against pests and weeding rigorously, then you're going to be all right. Eventually you'll figure out optimal water levels, but anything other than serious overwatering is mostly fine; different water levels and timings just contribute to different rice ratings, which translate to different stats for Sakuna. Early on the game will give you a guide towards better Yield, and later you can get guides to optimize other ratings as well. (It is a good idea to work on improving Yield first, as it gives you more rice to eat and more seedlings to plant in the next season.)

Sakuna gains stats all at once when the year's harvest is finished. Story progress is somewhat gated by bosses, so if one boss seems way too difficult, wait until the year's harvest comes in and you get your boost. There really isn't time pressure, even when story events seem pressing.

Fertilizer does two things: provides nutrients to the soil and adds to the rice ratings. Nutrients (the triangle) stay in the soil until they're consumed. Adding Amber to the base boosts the nutrient content. The rating benefits (things like +5 to Aroma) only work for the 10 hour period after you spread it and seem to be more effective in the daytime when the rice is growing. So, age fertilizer overnight, spread it in the morning.

Sakuna learns combat techniques based on the rice ratings. You can see a menu with upcoming moves, and the numbers show you how many more points in a particular rating you need. So you can tailor your fertilizer composition toward learning moves, or just learn them over time.

Enemies become much stronger at night. It will take a harvest or two to be able to stand up to enemies at nighttime. However, in each region of the map there is a special material that only drops at night and is useful in crafting and making fertilizer.

When it comes time to hull rice, brown rice is much more Aromatic (which boosts Sakuna's Magic) and makes heartier foods with better meal bonuses. Fully hulled white rice provides a bigger permanent boost to most other stats.

At some point you'll be able to send companions out to collect resources. Kinta collects minerals, Yui collects fibers, Myrthe collects food, Kaimaru collects fertilizer base, and Tauemon collects a bit of everything. Send them out in the morning to maximize the time they spend collecting.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 29, 2021

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020

Leavemywife posted:

Cool! Does it feel better to play? Occasionally the first one feels a little...Clunky? Not smooth? I don't know how to describe it, but sometimes, it's a little rough around the edges, but not enough to make me quit. I'm having a fabulous time.

Pretty much everything about it is better but the bosses aren't as memorable on the whole.

Get every katana, you can switch them on the fly and they actually have different uses now instead of just straight damage upgrades.

Return to your motel after each boss fight to exercise your cat and sometimes unlock other stuff.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I've started Ghost of Tsushima and have looked at the tips on the wiki already. In addition to those, are there any skills that are worth beelining for that are essential or provide substantial quality of life improvements?

For example, the tip about the charm that increases resource harvesting was great!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I found the kunai and related upgrades and amulets were super powerful and always useful, while some of the other tools were more situational. Also, I’d beeline any “legendary quests” because the related gear is always worth it.

E. Also, upgrade your fighting styles ASAP, as the locked skills are all really powerful and make combat way more fun

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

1redflag posted:

E. Also, upgrade your fighting styles ASAP, as the locked skills are all really powerful and make combat way more fun

I never really found this to be true short of the one for busting shields because none of the others were really that different in how you fought the enemies, they just did more damage. I think what you unlock and how depends largely on how you play and the genericized advice would basically be that none of the unlocks are really traps if what it says it does sounds useful to how you're playing. They all pretty much act as advertised.

Also the sticky bomb skill that makes them kill on a direct hit is hilariously useful if you're playing aggressive rather than stealthy.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Some stuff for Zombie Nazi Trilogy, mainly if playing alone, but can also be applied if you're with a buddy or three:

- If you pick up some ammo when you're maxed out but your gun can be reloaded, the spare bullets will just go in the gun without having to reload. Depending on the gun in question, it can be a lot faster.

- The revolver is strong as hell and downs a zombie in one body shot, which is good when you need some space. Keep in mind that the reload is slow, which the above can help with since the game sometimes likes to throw pistol ammo at you. As for the other pistols, they can fire plenty faster, they're just weaker.

- For your secondary weapon, you're going to have to decide if you care about score or not. If you do, shotgun is the way to go. If not, pick one of the many machines guns and go to town. Regardless, reload after every encounter and every small break during a conflict.

- There is a kick and you should use it liberally. If the zombie is down, it's an instant kill with no points (so whatever), but it's completely free to use with no limit.

- Heart rate reduction (calming down is important in these games lol) is severely sped up compared to how it was in Sniper Elite V2. This is good because there are a lot of targets and they all know where you are, always. Changing stances affects your heart rate, so mind that if you intend on using Focus Time.

- There will be enemies that take more than one headshot and you will know them when you see them. Do not panic when you run into one and play a bit smart with your grenade tosses and traps and you should be fine. Expanding on that, do not set traps unless you are certain you can take out more than just a pair of targets. Pick-ups are frequent, but not that frequent.

- If alone, taking too much damage will just kill you dead, but playing with a buddy will just down you and make you use the sidearm while your friend comes over to help. Friendly fire can be turned on and off, which is nice.

- As you can imagine with zombies, they can sometimes come back if the head is not destroyed, but they only ever get the one mulligan. Down them again and they're out of your hair.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
This tip on the Metal Gear Solid 4 page could maybe stand to be trimmed...

quote:

The camo is retardedly useful. With good enough camo enemies will not see you at all unless they bump into you.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

This tip on the Metal Gear Solid 4 page could maybe stand to be trimmed...

Right you are - I've edited it.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

1redflag posted:

Also, I’d beeline any “legendary quests” because the related gear is always worth it.

Thanks all for the tips. For the advice above, do you mean the Mythic (blue) quests?

Also, what’s the deal with Legends mode? From what I can tell it’s a standalone multiplayer mode? Are there any item out skill unlocks tied to this mode that are worth it to improve the main campaign?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yesterday I was bored and clicking around on the wiki reading about games I already played, seeing if there's interesting things I never knew and stuff.

Boy, is the Morrowind wiki something. It's not so much a Before I Play guide and more of a walkthrough on how to trivialize the early game using exploits and telling you exactly where all the best poo poo is.

Like, that's fine if that's how ya'll want it to be, but if it were me I'd at least seperate the list in two sections: one with genuine advice that'll be useful for a first time player and a second, clearly seperated, list with all the exploits and stuff. I mean, there's literally a step by step walkthrough for a couple of early quests in there, which doesn't seem like the point of the wiki? (Also it seems heavily biased towards the writers favourite playstyle, but whatever.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There are much fewer pages like that than there used to be (I took a loving hacksaw to the Persona 3 and 4 pages for the same reason) but they still exist. If anyone has a better/cleaned up version they wanna prototype, I’ll happily format it and put it in.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Vidaeus posted:

Thanks all for the tips. For the advice above, do you mean the Mythic (blue) quests?

Also, what’s the deal with Legends mode? From what I can tell it’s a standalone multiplayer mode? Are there any item out skill unlocks tied to this mode that are worth it to improve the main campaign?

Legends mode is completely separate from the main campaign - it was added to the game sometime after the game was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Taeke posted:

Yesterday I was bored and clicking around on the wiki reading about games I already played, seeing if there's interesting things I never knew and stuff.

Boy, is the Morrowind wiki something. It's not so much a Before I Play guide and more of a walkthrough on how to trivialize the early game using exploits and telling you exactly where all the best poo poo is.

Like, that's fine if that's how ya'll want it to be, but if it were me I'd at least seperate the list in two sections: one with genuine advice that'll be useful for a first time player and a second, clearly seperated, list with all the exploits and stuff. I mean, there's literally a step by step walkthrough for a couple of early quests in there, which doesn't seem like the point of the wiki? (Also it seems heavily biased towards the writers favourite playstyle, but whatever.)

I've made some changes: Created two sections as you suggested, and combined some tips that were step-by-step instructions for specific quests.