Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jade Rider posted:

Any tips for Omori?
-Omori's Bread Slice is a good early way to build up a supply of healing items.
-You can double and triple stack emotions for larger buffs, which is something that you will likely learn by accident eventually but it's worth knowing ahead of time.
-When you're in a section that feels like you have very little resources on hand (money, healing items, or even a way to heal at all) don't worry too much about it and just go with the flow.
-Other than an obvious point of no return, no sidequests should be missable. Also missing sidequests in the grand scheme of things is super low stakes so also don't worry too much about it, there's not real plot or honestly gameplay mechanics that are going to be drastically affected.
-Basil's flowers will wither if you leave them alone, and a good friend wouldn't let that happen so water them from time to time every chapter.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

A few tips for an Early Access survival/crafting/robot killing game called Volconoids
Can I ask whoever's adding tips to the wiki to mark tips submitted for Early Access versions? I'd hate to visit the game later and learn too late that they were from an outdated version that got overhauled before the final release.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 25, 2021

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Some tips for Curse of the Dead Gods that just came out of early access.

- Be mindful of your stamina, when you are out of stamina you can only run around and basic attack. This isn't a game you can button mash and you will be punished harshly for button mashing.

- When you kill an enemy it starts a Greed Kill chain. The more enemies you kill in a chain, the more gold you gain. You don't have to kill another enemy to refill the Greed Kill timer, as long as you damage an enemy it will refill the timer. Enemies with a blue health bar are summons and do not refill the timer.

- Enemies that are stunned will have a circle above their heads. Keep that in mind because an enemy that isn't stunned can still attack you even if you are hitting them.

- You can replay levels to get more skulls and rings for progression. If a level is giving you a hard time, replay easier levels to unlock more items.

- The Parry timing is very tight compared to the dodge timing. It does restore 2 stamina on a perfect parry and puts the enemy into a weakened state though, so it's worth learning eventually.

ArkOfTurus
Apr 23, 2008

Jade Rider posted:

Any tips for Omori?

Keep an extra save file from some point close to the end of the prologue.

goodposter
Sep 1, 2018
Some tips for Valheim, not that I've gotten too far in it, but because nobody has posted any before

- You can demolish anything built in your workbench range by equipping a hammer and middle-clicking the mouse. Doing so will return all of the demolished thing's components, so feel free to destroy and rebuild things to organise your base as you please.
- You can put markers on the map by double-clicking. You can choose which icons from the bottom right. Right-click to remove markers.
- When you die somewhere far away, put a manual map marker near your corpse just in case. If you die during your corpse run, then the game will remove the old marker and mark your fresh corpse instead, leaving you guessing where your original corpse was.
- Killing bosses opens up new progression options. The second boss's altar requires Ancient Seeds that you get from Greydwarf nests and some elite enemies. If you're wondering about Swamp Key, then it opens crypts in Swamp areas where you can mine Scrap Iron
- You will need to sail to new islands before long. Make sure you carry components to a portal before you depart, and place one at a safe-ish place when you can. Of course, also make sure there's a spare portal in your camp to link it to.
- Take good care while parking your boat. When you land, make sure your boat doesn't have its sails up, or there's a bigger chance it will get blown away into the sea. That's why you want to be ready with the portal.
- Gold, rubies, amber and amber pearls are spent at a merchant, who is an extreme pain in the arse to find, at least at this point. He lives somewhere in Black Forest, potentially somewhere at the arse end of the world. Here's a Reddit thread that can help you find it through some cheating . Hopefully the devs will add some hints on how to fairly find him, in the meantime, gather a stack of gold and a few stacks of the valuables, any more is not very useful.

goodposter fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 27, 2021

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for pixel art 2D action platformer Foregone?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Kuros posted:

- When you kill an enemy it starts a Greed Kill chain. The more enemies you kill in a chain, the more gold you gain. You don't have to kill another enemy to refill the Greed Kill timer, as long as you damage an enemy it will refill the timer. Enemies with a blue health bar are summons and do not refill the timer.

hitting summons does refill the timer they just don't increase the multiplier when they die.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Yakuza 0

- Hold LB to block. Once an enemy starts wailing on you with a combo, you can usually still start blocking partway through and avoid some damage or getting knocked down. Trying to dodge out of the way once you've already been hit once tends not to work.
- The person portraits on the map indicate where the different fighting style trainers are once you've met them the first time in the story. Kiryu's beast style trainer isn't on the map, you need to take a taxi to the pier instead.

yook fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 1, 2021

Zushio
May 8, 2008
This is relevant to all the Yakuza games, including 0.

If you hold down L2 you can hit Triangle without engaging a Heat move. Useful to extend some big combos and such, or just to save on Heat.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zushio posted:

This is relevant to all the Yakuza games, including 0.

If you hold down L2 you can hit Triangle without engaging a Heat move. Useful to extend some big combos and such, or just to save on Heat.

Hah, I've beaten three of them without knowing this. (hardly matters, since heat conservation is very rarely needed, but nice to know)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for pixel art 2D action platformer Foregone?

You're unlikely to get all the points you need to fully enhance all of the special abilities in one run so find 1-2 you like early on and focus on them.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Kennel posted:

Hah, I've beaten three of them without knowing this. (hardly matters, since heat conservation is very rarely needed, but nice to know)

It is probably most useful in 3, especially boss fights. Mostly because the bonuses you get for having High Heat are more important than the moves themselves. In that one case.

It also comes up for some of the more complicated Heat moves, like in Judgment. That game has a few that call for something like □□□△△ while enemy is launched △. In this case the first two △s are heavy hits and a launcher while the third activates Heat. If you aren't holding L2 until the third △ you will do a different Heat move after the the first △.

It is totally unnecessary to know this to beat any of the games as mentioned above, but does have some edge case utility. Since Heat moves do less damage every time you use the same one in the same fight it can pay off by using the longer high damage combos that include △ to take down lesser threats.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 1, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zushio posted:

Since Heat moves do less damage every time you use the same one in the same fight

...I'm up to Yakuza 5 now and I don't think I knew this

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yakuza 0 tells you this in the heat move tutorial, I think.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Kiwami tells you about the L2 thing, which is why I had added it to the Kiwami page (which links to 0's page for combat tips) as I hadn't realized it was also functional in 0. Easy enough to move though.

There's also a Rush skill in Kiwami that contradicts this and specifically allowing dodging out of combos:

yook posted:

Yakuza 0

Trying to dodge out of the way once you've already been hit once tends not to work.

But I can't recall if that existed in 0?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

goodposter posted:

Some tips for Valheim, not that I've gotten too far in it, but because nobody has posted any before

- You can demolish anything built in your workbench range by equipping a hammer and middle-clicking the mouse. Doing so will return all of the demolished thing's components, so feel free to destroy and rebuild things to organise your base as you please.
- You can put markers on the map by double-clicking. You can choose which icons from the bottom right. Right-click to remove markers.
- When you die somewhere far away, put a manual map marker near your corpse just in case. If you die during your corpse run, then the game will remove the old marker and mark your fresh corpse instead, leaving you guessing where your original corpse was.
- Killing bosses opens up new progression options. The second boss's altar requires Ancient Seeds that you get from Greydwarf nests and some elite enemies. If you're wondering about Swamp Key, then it opens crypts in Swamp areas where you can mine Scrap Iron
- You will need to sail to new islands before long. Make sure you carry components to a portal before you depart, and place one at a safe-ish place when you can. Of course, also make sure there's a spare portal in your camp to link it to.
- Take good care while parking your boat. When you land, make sure your boat doesn't have its sails up, or there's a bigger chance it will get blown away into the sea. That's why you want to be ready with the portal.
- Gold, rubies, amber and amber pearls are spent at a merchant, who is an extreme pain in the arse to find, at least at this point. He lives somewhere in Black Forest, potentially somewhere at the arse end of the world. Here's a Reddit thread that can help you find it through some cheating . Hopefully the devs will add some hints on how to fairly find him, in the meantime, gather a stack of gold and a few stacks of the valuables, any more is not very useful.

- Also, while you can't demolish a boat with the middle-click method, you can just, y'know, smash it up with your axe, and recover all the parts. Just make sure it's low tide/that you've thoroughly beached it so that the nails don't sink into water too deep to grab them.

- Doing this will let you portage your vessel across a landmass, or carry it through a portal to choose a more favorable starting point for your voyage.

- Early on in the game, you'll find tons of thistle and mushrooms; grab and save them; they will be your bottlenecks for mid-late game high quality food and healing items.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Just picked up Exit the Gungeon on Ps4, anything I need to know? I've had a couple of runs of it, and so far I am super glad I have the back paddle attachment for the controller, given how important jumping and dodging are (and they are both different buttons, unlike Enter the Gungeon which just had dodge).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
AC: Odyssey page could use some work. Game's gotten a lot of patches + the DLC which has changed some stuff up and there's some minor issues with a few tips.

I went ahead and took a crack at redoing the whole page, organized things a bit better, edited a few things, added a couple new tips. Hopefully it looks good: https://pastebin.com/NbxVxXB1

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

AC: Odyssey page could use some work. Game's gotten a lot of patches + the DLC which has changed some stuff up and there's some minor issues with a few tips.

I went ahead and took a crack at redoing the whole page, organized things a bit better, edited a few things, added a couple new tips. Hopefully it looks good: https://pastebin.com/NbxVxXB1

Thank you. I've replaced the tips on the page.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Count Uvula posted:

hitting summons does refill the timer they just don't increase the multiplier when they die.

Oh, I must have not noticed. I'll check for that the next time I play.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Something for Yakuza 4 that wasn't immediately obvious for me:

Early in the game, there is a clown in Naomi's palace who will give you item packs. Some of the packs contain weapons; however all of the non-Kiryu characters have some restrictions on which weapons they're allowed to use, and you can't trade items until towards the end of the game. What this means is that if you pick up all the packs as someone other than Kiryu, some of the weapons inside them will be unavailable until the end of the game when you can swap them between characters.

Specifically the restricted weapons are:

Kali sticks & nunchaku: Akiyama only
Guns and Katanas: Saejima only
Spears and Tonfa: Tanimura only

Kiryu can use everything, but you don't play as him until the final chapter of the game, and inventories aren't shared until the end of his chapter. All the other weapon types (knives, batons, etc) can be used by anyone.

Haven't started 5 yet, dunno if the same is true there or not.

I know that's a little long, but I'm not sure how to tighten it up into a single bullet while still containing enough information to be useful (knowing that there are restrictions doesn't really help unless you know what they are, and I don't think the game actually tells you until the end). It's also not a game-breaking issue or anything, there are other ways to get weapons, and it's not the kind of game where weapons matter too much (or at least they didn't for me, but I did play on easy), but I did have a quick "well that sucks" moment once I realized Akiyama was going to be sitting on a pile of useless guns and katanas for most of the game

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Kanfy posted:

Kiwami tells you about the L2 thing, which is why I had added it to the Kiwami page (which links to 0's page for combat tips) as I hadn't realized it was also functional in 0. Easy enough to move though.

There's also a Rush skill in Kiwami that contradicts this and specifically allowing dodging out of combos:

But I can't recall if that existed in 0?

Rush exists in 0, but only for Kiryu, not Majima. Majima instead has Breaker.

But yeah outside of the specific case of Rush you're better off blocking or countering to get out of a combo. Particularly with Beast don't underestimate the power of simply ignoring that you're getting hit and mashing attack constantly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm starting Outward and it definitely seems like a game worth puzzling out for yourself, but are there any particularly stupid/enraging traps or gotchas that I should be aware of? The wiki page is handy but quite bare.

blackguy32 posted:

There is a mission down the line that you need to take care of in like 20days, or else Cierzo gets destroyed. I don't think the mission starts until you join a faction though.

I am also interested, if anyone has any more tips - the game's kinda daunting

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ainsley McTree posted:

...I'm up to Yakuza 5 now and I don't think I knew this

I'm on the cusp of finishing Yakuza 3 and this would have been good info about twenty hours ago. So much time time spent waiting for random thugs to stand up so I didn't waste a heat move stomping on them :gonk:

Any tips for the Uncharted series? I've had a free copy of 1-4 forever and installed it recently on an impulse.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unless you're aiming to platinum the games and find every treasure there isn't too much to keep in mind other than combat wise nathan gets better with each game so like don't forget he eventually can start throwing grenades back and other little niceties.

The other is in Uncharted 2 you'll encounter some later game fur-covered enemies. They are ridiculously resilient to everything but the weapons they carry so when you start encountering them you'll want to swap to carrying one of theirs to deal with them faster.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

chairface posted:

Rush exists in 0, but only for Kiryu, not Majima. Majima instead has Breaker.

But yeah outside of the specific case of Rush you're better off blocking or countering to get out of a combo. Particularly with Beast don't underestimate the power of simply ignoring that you're getting hit and mashing attack constantly.

I know Rush exists in 0, I just wasn't sure if the Rush skill you unlock in Kiwami that lets you dodge out of combos was in 0 is all.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I am also interested, if anyone has any more tips - the game's kinda daunting
I've finished it now and I'm not sure I have any super helpful tips, but a lot of that is smoke and mirrors, to be honest. The weather is a total non-issue after the first few hours and after you get past the initial gear/supplies scarcity you'll have enough money to just buy loads of healing/stamina potions and mostly ignore food, cooking etc. I actually ended up with tens of thousands of coins because I had no need to spend it on anything apart from potions, that 25 silver for a healing potion might seem prohibitively expensive at first, but when it's your only real cost...

The death mechanic where something weird happens to you and you respawn worked in my favour like 90% of the time because you just wake up in a nearby safe place and can head right back into wherever you got killed, enemies usually even keep their HP loss so for at least one boss I just battered my head against him repeatedly taking off 1/4 of his health every time lol. Don't do that during timed quests obviously but unless you do that, the only penalty is that food spoils, and chances are the loot you get from whatever you're doing will make up for that 10x over. Also chests, dungeons, plants etc reset every few days so you can immediately go on a fishing/mining/looting loop and make bank.

Basically if you've played a Pirana Bytes game or even Morrowind, Outward is nowhere near as daunting as it looks.

Personally I would recommend looking up the skill trees, because you can only see them at the individual trainers and you can only train three skills fully (each of the... 8-10 trees has a "breakpoint" in the middle and you only have three "breakpoint points" to spend). Also download the mod that lets you fast travel to each discovered city from the caravans, by the time you can easily afford the cost, you can also sprint across entire maps without ever getting into any danger so it's literally just saving you from pointless padding and busywork. I also downloaded one that gave me a second quickbar because 8 slots is absolutely not enough - three are immediately used up by the three restore potions, two for swapping between my axe and my gun, and one for the fire/reload gun skill. Leaving me with two quickslots for the entire range of my skills and spells. No.

A lot of this is opinion so I don't know if it belongs on the wiki in a cleaned-up fashion, but hope it helps!

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 3, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

A lot of this is opinion so I don't know if it belongs on the wiki in a cleaned-up fashion, but hope it helps!

Oh, definitely, thank ye

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Anything I should know going into "eurojank" famous ELEX? Trying to stay spoiler free, but any general tips are welcomed, also any fan patches I should look into that fixes bugs and stuff?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a Gothic-like, so don't expect the game to match your level. If you go somewhere you can't handle yet, you will die. As the wiki says, don't go too far from the settlements until you've progressed the story far enough to get a companion. The game is pretty much balanced around the assumption that you will have one.

Also, don't put a lot of points into non-combat skills early, because the game is pretty unforgiving and you'll hurt more from the lack of combat skills than you'd benefit from whatever gear you can access through lockpicking or whatever, which you will likely be unable to wear due to lacking the necessary stats and skills anyway.

Finally, the jetpack will prevent all fall damage if you use it just before you hit the ground. This is useful for accessing things you shouldn't at least once in the game.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Im_Special posted:

Anything I should know going into "eurojank" famous ELEX? Trying to stay spoiler free, but any general tips are welcomed, also any fan patches I should look into that fixes bugs and stuff?

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=ELEX Has some tips, no idea if they are good.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
^^ Good tips, thanks.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007
Any tips for Loop Hero?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Anything changed from Just Cause 3 to Just Cause 4?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nothing beyond what the Steam page for the game would already tell you - weather effects, some new grappling hook gimmicks, that kind of thing. If you're familiar with the series, you can jump right in, you won't be tripped up by anything particular unexpected.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Largejaroalmonds posted:

Any tips for Loop Hero?

Don't go look up spoilers, as a large part of the game is the fun of discovery. Try different tiles near different things.

When you unlock the Encyclopedia, it'll tell you directly what mobs drop so there won't be ambiguity in that if you're worried about it.

Ultimately it's a progressive idle game, there's not really anything you need to know before you start playing. Just go nuts.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Largejaroalmonds posted:

Any tips for Loop Hero?

- Progress to the boss is determined by placed tiles, not number of loops

- As number of items and cards max out they get converted to resources

- I might just be an idiot but the wording was confusing to me, the Oblivion card removes a single tile or mob, not everything that you placed down since the game started.

- Keep an eye on the deck selection card as you start new rounds, you will unlock new cards over time

- Try placing groups of cards together, they can synergize into new things.

- Don't be afraid to bail if you start getting overwhelmed

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've heard people say that the game hits a major progression wall pretty much right after the point where the demo ends, to the point where the speed of progressions slows down by 90% or so. It also starts to introduce some annoying mechanics, such as brigand mobs that can steal equipped items from you. That's more of a 'before I buy' than a 'before I play' thing, though. Still, some people might appreciate knowing about this, I guess.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

One big gotcha I feel dumb for not realizing sooner is that if you pause the game while your guy is on the camp tile, the Retreat button gets a yellow border and will let you leave the map with 100% of your resources. I spent hours mistakenly thinking that the only way to leave with all your stuff was to beat the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Largejaroalmonds posted:

Any tips for Loop Hero?

You can retreat while at the campfire and keep everything you found. If you press and hold the run away button in the bottom left, your dude will pause at the campfire the next time he goes through it. You can also turn on 'pause at the campfire' in the options menu.

When the first map's boss spawns, he fill every empty tile around the campfire with a tile that buffs him. If those tiles are already have stuff in them, they're not replaced. So it's a good idea to fill up that area before the boss spawns.

Some bad tiles can spawn as a consequence of placing down other tiles (ex: the bandits who break your poo poo spawn a camp every 2 villages), so make sure you bring the card that can delete tiles.