Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Team Fortress 2 is free to play. Is the game newbie friendly or is it like Heroes of Newerth on free weekends? Is it okay to play as a few classes I like or should I really stick to just one?

From scanning the wiki I understand that in addition to cosmetic items there are ones with stat bonuses and very strong effects. Do I need to familiarize myself with the majority of items people use or can I come to understand them as I use them and see others with them in matches?

I would also like some very general tips please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks a lot for the TF2 tips guys.

Funcrusher posted:

Any tips for Shiren the Wanderer DS? The game does a good job of making you feel overconfident then kicking your teeth in. I know about the free riceball and using the warehouses to stash crap for your future adventures, anything else that might help?

Never bring your A game. Keep your super incredible sword in the warehouse. Bring your B game so it's not as bad when you die.
IDing things is important and making use of jars later. Be creative with your supplies and used ranged weapons and halls/bottlenecks to your advantage.

Helping random people online lower level than you with rescue requests isn't bad either, but it's almost always some kind of monster zoo at the that got them.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Star Ocean 2 on the PSX.

How grindy is it? Anything in particular to look out for or avoid or go out of my way to do/get?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for the hot tips about Star Ocean 2 guys. I love a game with some hilarious break to it. I guess I'll play it kind of normal first but I'll have your guys cliff-notes with me.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dark Souls. I played Demon's Souls for hours and hours before it finally clicked and was fun. I'm worried that Dark Souls will be equally impenetrable because I don't know what wiki articles to read, which class will be the easiest after leveling up, or which easily missable pickups and merchants will make the game that much easier. I'm willing to die two or three times to figure out the boss's attack pattern, but I'm not so willing to retread the same 3D environment figuring out which of the several "jump here" hints is serious and not trolling me into kill myself. I get that it's part of "the experience" but I just want to play the metroidvania rougelike rather than wrestle with it.

PTizzle posted:

Been done to death no doubt, but I'm trying to get into Skyrim and I want to start a new character. What's a few fun builds to do? The main issue I don't want to continue the current playthrough as I feel like I've spread myself too thin and am very ineffective at actually fighting (dropping the difficulty doesn't really make it any more fun) and I'm also a bit lost due to a long layoff from it.

I'd just like some recommendations for effective types of characters, or some you've found fun personally.

I like to explore in games like this too, are there any good places early/mid game that aren't necessarily main quest related but are worth trekking off to?
When you arrive at a new area in Skyrim the monsters are tuned to your level. If they are too hard then try coming back after you've gained a couple levels; they'll still be what they were when you entered. Cerain enemy types are just harder than others.
The combat in Skyrim never seriously picks up so if you're not willing to slog through it then I'd say go for a warrior / strength build and keep it on an easy difficulty. You will get access to magic and shouts even without high mana and then you can wear actual armor.
When you're about to fail a lockpicking minigame the lockpick 'jiggles' towards the correct direction. With this and saving in mind you can beat any lock with intermediate lockpicking skill, but it doesn't hurt to put some points into it either. It's just doors and loot but it scratches that exploring itch.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for all the pointers on Dark Souls guys. It seems a lot less daunting now.

PTizzle posted:

Cheers for this. I'm guessing it's mostly just the combat never picks up as I just really haven't been finding it satisfying in my first playthrough whether easy or difficult. I'll keep that in mind when I go around again and just do whatever's fun, I quite enjoyed magic in my bits and pieces playthrough so I might try that.

One thing that was a bit frustrating though was that I never seemed to find equipment that felt any different. Should I be looking more at smithing or just exploring more? I had the same few weapons for basically the whole time I played the first time (about 10 hours, around when it came out) and there wasn't much of a sense of progression with it.

Also since it's a Bethesda game and I know there might not be a heap of it - any quests/questlines/locations that I should definitely seek out or do if I see them available?

The combat only gets easier as you get perks, but not really better. Put your points into things.

The only weapons I ever got that felt any different were ones that set enemies on fire or staffs that shoot a magic spell. The enchantments on armor do beneficial stuff but don't really ever feel different.

If you're playing it on PC do yourself a favor and mod in a flying broomstick and higher jumping.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Beware the infinite sidequests. When you join a cool kids club and NPCs give you missions without voice acting, these quests are actually randomly generated and you can play them literally endlessly if you don't know any better.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah. I was actually pretty impressed when one sent me to the modded-in marijuana dispensary.

Go easy on the mods or you'll just be Sephiroth selling weed to the Jarls and killing entire villages.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

On a related note is there anything I should know as I go into Final Fantasy XIII-2?

The plot of FFXIII.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

How 'bout the Goemon game on the N64?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

The first one? I actually think that one is pretty straight forward with nothing that can be missed.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. I don't know much about the series. Is there stuff I should buy first or just dive right in?

I've otherwise only played the unrelated first Famicom game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Damonic posted:

It's pretty easy. I will recommend that when you get to Impact (you'll know what I mean when you get there), look up how to do the moves to maximize the fun. Otherwise, just approach it like you would any 3-D Zelda game.

Also, the camera can be a little weird, but if you just stand still for a second or two it will center itself behind you.

Edit: Just dive right in. Hit up the fortune teller if you get lost. And be sure to pick up the map from the tea house in the first open area just outside of town.

Awesome, thanks.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a good way to break Legend of Legaia or Final Fantasy IX?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Draile posted:

FFIX:

Always be stealing. Bosses tend to carry equipment that you won't be able to purchase or find for a while, so stealing from bosses will keep you ahead of the game's gear curve. Even regular enemies have stuff worth taking. Almost all enemies carry multiple items that you can steal so don't stop after you get one thing. There's another reason you want to be stealing, too:

A couple characters eventually will get attacks that get stronger as you accomplish certain objectives. Late in the game Zidane will get a low-mp attack that does damage based on your number of successful steals. You can get this to 9999 damage guaranteed with some grinding, making it easily the best attack in the game and a nice additional reward for all the stealing you've been doing. Freya gets an attack that deals damage based on the number of dragons you've killed. You can grind out dragon kills to make this deal 9999 damage guaranteed as well. Both of these are helpful (maybe necessities) if you want to challenge the game's mega-boss.

For your sanity, the second you can learn the abilities that speed up your xp and ap earned, learn them, equip them, and leave them equipped for the rest of the game except for a couple of very rare instances.

As soon as you have access to Chocobo Hot and Cold, play it until you've exhausted all the major treasure in the area (the moogle will tell you when). At the very start of disc 3 you can do a massive amount of this side quest and doing so will give you the very best gear in the game, so you'll be overpowered for all of disc 3 and 4.

Thanks for the hot advice. With this and the wiki page I think I'll give the game a go sometime soon. It's been years.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What's the best game in the Descent series?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DiRT 2, 3, 3 complete, or Showdown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Any tips for Satisfactory? I realized I should split ore before going to a smelter and rebuilt my whole setup. I'm feeling the inefficiencies and recognizing that some things need to be produced way more than others and I'd rather start fresh on a new site than tear it all down, especially since I got coal power.

Probably later than the intention of this thread but I'd like some newb tips.