Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Polite Tim posted:

Borderlands
I'm not finding this game that fun, mainly because the bosses are awfully designed. Any tips for this? Playing as a soldier, using revolver, shotgun, sniper combo atm, with leech grenades. Currently stuck fighting the horrible shielded brute which is wiping my shields in one hit and then two shotting me whilst i'm barely scratching his health.

As a soldier, you should be using assault rifles. I found all the skill points in the left-most tree to be the most useful (plenty of assault rifle and shotgun related skills). You'll eventually find assault rifles with low magazine size (~12 shots) that fire very high rate-of-fire, very accurate 3-rounds bursts, and they're great for dealing tons of damage in mid-range combat as long as you aim for the head. Use shotguns to finish off enemies that get close.
Also, as a soldier, use that turret you have. Use it all the loving time. Even if it doesn't kill enemies outright, it's invaluable to keep enemies busy and prevent them from attacking you while it's active.
Finally, get healing shields. Unless you have a fast-recharging standard shield that has at least 50% more shield capacity than your healing shield, you should probably stick with the healing shield, even during combat (otherwise use the fast-recharging shield in combat and the healing shield once combat is over to regenerate health).

Also check the vendors (gun and medical vendors (for shields) mostly) every time you load the game or you get the "Stores have new inventory" message for the unique items they sell, sometimes you can get pretty drat good equipment that will be useful for ages there.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Big L posted:

Anything for Silent Hill 3 ?

Supply closets / store rooms are usually filled with tons of health packs / ammunition, try not to miss any of them.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Scalding Coffee posted:

*Save your money until you reach one million. There is very little reason to ever buy an equipment upgrade since you are a space hobo.

To expand on this;
If you reach one million credits you will get access to special equipment you can buy at vendors which is better than any of the stuff you can find / buy regularily, so it's worth to wait for this before buying anything. You will find plenty of equipment from killing enemies and looting crates anyway.

EDIT:
Another hint:
When you get skill points, always invest as many as you can in your conversation skills when leveling up.
Unless you play on Insanity, the combat is easy enough that you won't get stuck if you don't max out a skill or anything, but not having your conversation skills maxed out as much as posssible will actually lock you out of conversation options (the blue / red Paragon / Renegade options that show up in the conversation wheel) which are usually far more beneficial to you and the overall story.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 16, 2010

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

KingShiro posted:

Borderlands

Stick to the type of weapons that your character gets bonus talents with (i.e. assault rifles as soldier, sniper rifles as assassin, etc.).

When leveling up, check all of the three skill trees extensively and stick to the one that you think gives you the best bonus talents. You can re-distribute your skill points at any point in the game but it costs a bit of money (not really an issue later in the game) but some of the trees are just a lot less useful than others, especially if you're playing the game alone and not in co-op.

Get a healing shield to heal you up after battles (doesn't need to have a high capacity, use a high capacity or fast-recharge shield when you get into fights and pop in the healing shield after a fight to replenish your health, then switch again). This is a lot better than carrying dozens of healing items (and wasting equipment slots on them which you could otherwise use to carry looted weapons which you can sell afterwards).

Check the vendors frequently. They will get new items every couple of minutes (you'll get a message when this happens) or anytime you load a saved game. The special items on sale are sometimes pretty good. Speaking of stuff resetting, the weapon crates you find throughout the game also reset when you load a saved game, so you can just keep loading a game and taking a tour through a town with lots of crates to gather all the stuff and sell it if you feel like it, although it's not really necessary to get decent equipment or become rich anyway, so unless you're desperate it's really a waste of time.
You should check out all the nearby crates every time you load up the game and start playing though, and that's not too much cheesing either in my opinion.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 1, 2010

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Orgophlax posted:

A few pages back I asked for hints on Mass Effect and a few people said to go female renegade. Does this actually gain you something eventually or is it just considered more entertaining?

It doesn't make a difference, gameplay-wise.
Male / female really boils down to which voice-actor you prefer, and they have different romance options but that's about it.
I also wouldn't recommend doing a renegade-only run just because some people find that more entertaining (this really just affects how some dialogues play out and the conclusions to some quests, no major plot-altering stuff). Go with whatever type of Shepard you want to play or just pick whatever dialogue options you feel are most appropriate for a given situation.
There's no harm in making a mixed character that picks both choices equally.
There is one advantage to sticking to a single path (either completely paragon or completely renegade), and that is the fact that some dialogue responses are only available if you have a very high paragon / renegade meter, so using a mix of both may lock you out of a few response options in the game (because you won't have both meters maxed out), but it's nothing that will lock you out of a ton of content or anything.

You should be playing the game for the story, first and foremost, so make your choices according to what YOU feel fits best instead of letting other people tell you how to play :)

EDIT:

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

The better voice actor.

Which is debatable.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 5, 2010

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

It's not actually. I'm just saying.

Yeah not around here, I know.
You're right and everyone who disagrees is wrong :)

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It doesn't block out a ton of content, no, but using charm and intimidate can be pretty fun (intimidate especially) and the only way to reliably do it is to pick one option and stick with it, switching it up kind of gimps you. If you don't care about using charm and intimidate, then no, I suppose there's no harm in it, but if you do, you really shouldn't try to sit on the fence. There's a very fun benefit to maxing out charm or intimidate towards the end that I can't really talk about without spoiling anything but people who know what I'm talking about know what I'm talking about.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I absolutely endorse maxing out charm and intimidate (both of them), and mixing responses will limit you with regards to how many points you can spend in them, but the first time I played the game I used a mixed-alignment character and was locked out of maybe 2 or 3 charm / intimidate options throughout the entire game.
My point is that even by remaining on the fence so to speak, you will still be able to spend tons of points in both alignments and I found the mixed responses (and their consequences) to be more rewarding than going full renegade or full paragon in my subsequent playthroughs, that's all I want to put out there :)

tl,dr; I think people should jump into the game and just pick the responses they prefer instead of letting people tell them how to play it because there's not really a huge disadvantage in that :I

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Pron on VHS posted:

Any tips for Mass Effect 2? I haven't played the first one

Play the first one then. Don't just watch a plot summary video or something but play through the entire first game.
Not doing it would be like starting to read a book from the second half onwards while completely ignoring the first one. Also you can import your savegame from ME1 into ME2 and it'll make some sidequests and some of the storyline a lot more enjoyable because not importing a save game will have you start out with the worst possible consequences from the first one.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Largejaroalmonds posted:

I loved ME2 but found ME1 incredibly tedious. YMMV I guess (though it was nice to have been able to make some of the choices instead of having them made for me).

When in doubt, one can just blast through the main storyline on one of the lower difficulties without doing any of the sidequests. It shouldn't take more than 8-10 hours and it'll still make playing ME2 infinitely more fun in my opinion.
Then again, I really enjoyed the storyline of the ME series so far. I guess if someone just wants to play the game for the gameplay and shooting stuff you can safely ignore ME1 without missing anything v:shobon:v

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

McKracken posted:

I just started Mass Effect 2 and I've already gone through the thread for most of the tips but I have a question about the renegade/paragon stuff.

I've seen hud pop-ups that have said +4 paragon, +2 renegade etc, but when I look at the squad menu, the scales for each don't appear to be any different. In fact, it looks like they lack any form of indicator entirely.

What's the deal with that?

If you haven't imported a character, don't have your passive class talent leveled up (which gives a flat % bonus to both alignments) and just got a few points, you will hardly see any indicator, it's literally just a few pixels in each bar.

As you progress, the bars will fill up with blue / orange bars significantly.
If you can't see the bars even after you've done a few storyline missions, I have no clue and it's probably a glitch with the UI I guess.
It shouldn't happen anyway.

EDIT: Uploaded a screenshot to show what it looks like once you progress;

Again, if you can't see them now it's probably because you don't have enough points for the bars to be really visible yet, but if you can't see them after a few major missions it's probably a bug. Never heard of this happening though.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 10, 2011

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

treat posted:

2 - In carrying over your character to Mass Effect 2, are you locked into the same class as your ME1 character? Is there freedom in what skills you can learn despite being locked into that class? I'm playing Soldier through ME1 since it seems the most appropriate, but I'd like to change that up in ME2 if possible.

Nope, you can choose a new class at the beginning of ME2, even for imported characters.
Skills don't carry over or anything either, you can start the game with your imported character just as if you'd start a new character -- the only exception to this is your character background (Spacer, Earth Born, Colonist) and psychological thingy (War Hero, Sole Survivor, Ruthless), those will be carried over and cannot be changed.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, your character's gender cannot be changed either, but I guess nobody would really expect this to work anyway :downs:

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 13, 2011

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

treat posted:

Similarly, when given the option to kill or let die any of your squad mates, is it worth it to do so, or is it more of a gimmick? Is this something I would greatly regret later in ME1? In ME2 with an imported character?

There's absolutely no point in choosing to kill them (if you can avoid it!) other than for roleplaying a space rear end in a top hat. Technically, it gives you Renegade points IIRC, but that's the about only aspect that might be considered useful or positive I could think of.
Other than that, I'd try to avoid it if at all possible, as keeping them alive is much more rewarding in ME2, at least in storyline terms.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

thebardyspoon posted:

Does combat get much easier in Fallout? I've started the second one multiple times and the last time I got about an hour or two in, I think I was in the rat cave and got hosed up by some gigantic albino rat. I got pissed off because I got it down to about 6 health then missed 4 times in a row and got critically hit from near full health to dead and then realised I hadn't saved it for ages. I think I'm just poo poo at these games for some reason or I'm missing some fundamental feature. I might install 1 and give that a bash but any help would be welcome. Like a character setup for a gunslinger type and some tips on what to focus on in 1 and 2 would be useful.

It really depends on the type of character you're playing. Focusing on Energy Weapons / Big Guns will probably leave you struggling for a while, until you run across a decent weapon (and ammunition for it). I think focusing on Small Guns is the most straightforward way to get through most combat in both games reasonably well (and fast), though running across even a decent handgun could take you a tad longer in 2 than it does in 1. Either way, a 10mm pistol should be easy enough to run across fairly soon in both games, and it should keep you alive until you can acquire a 10mm SMG / shotgun / magnum, all of which can take you through a good portion of the game quite well as long as you keep leveling your Small Guns skill and aim for the eyes :clint:

EDIT: As for the rat cave in FO2, I vaguely remember having a 10mm pistol at this point in most of my playthroughs, and you can definitely beat the "boss" rat with that gun. Remember to spend tons of points on Agility (at least 8) if you want to play a gunslinger type of character. Combat is a bit clunky in both games, but getting a shot or two off and running away before enemies get into melee range is a decent tactic for most encounters. Once you've gained some distance over your enemy, get another shot off, rinse and repeat.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 23, 2011

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Captain Beans posted:

I want to play the Mass Effect games before the 3rd one comes out and I'm wondering what do I want to get them on? PC or PS3?

Obviously there isn't a choice on the first game but are these games something that really need mods or what? I know that I was really happy about getting Fallout on PC instead of console but maybe the open world-ness lent those games to being more mod friendly.

Honestly, ME1 really is an amazingly awesome game and you should play it if you want to play the entire trilogy. I'd get the games on PC for that reason alone (if your only alternative is the PS3), because the interactive comic that takes you through the story of ME1 on the PS3 version isn't a proper substitute for playing the first game at all.
Starting the series without playing through ME1 is like starting to read a book from the middle onwards. If you end up enjoying the games and the universe, you might bite yourself in the rear end if you haven't started getting into it by playing the first game.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Capsaicin posted:

Actually, if you want an easy way to beat the huge acid spitting thing in the Mako, just stay still and a little bit out of range (I don't know if it has a melee attack). It will just spit stuff at you every few seconds, but you can easily dodge those by doing the mako hover. Just keep pelting it with bullets and it will go down easily.

Honestly, those were the easiest fights in the game.

That, and shoot the Thresher Maws down to just a couple of pixels worth of health (in their health bar), then exit the Mako and do the finishing blow with a sniper rifle / shotgun to get twice the XP points.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Cervixalot posted:

Picked up Fallout New Vegas and i've never played any of the Fallout games before. I checked the Wiki for tips on builds and weapons, but as far as general gameplay goes, any tips? Should i do the quests in each town I encounter, or will I unlock more stuff by heading straight to New Vegas then exploring at will?

Are there any particular perks for having good faction with certain towns/cities that I can screw up?

The game pretty much leads you towards the main storyline places you need to go to in a straight line; Specifically, it even prevents you from going to places you aren't supposed to go yet by placing high level enemies in your way that you probably won't be able to beat unless you're leveled far enough.
Unless you're trying to roleplay a specific character or do a gimmick run, I'd just ride along the main storyline quests and do all of the sidequests you can do in each town / place it'll lead you to, before moving on to the next town.
Whenever you feel like it, feel free to move off and explore peripheral places you run across every now and then. The game world in FNV is fairly large and it's not a big deal to take a break from the main storyline and just explore stuff.

As for general builds; A high INT, high AGI character with Guns and Speech skill (additionally possibly Lockpicking to have all 3 of the arguably most useful skills tagged) is probably the "powergaming" build you might want to take if you want to have most options available for most quests.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Captain Beans posted:

I'm a few hours into Mass Effect and I am realizing soldier is kind of dull, is there a save game editor so I can swap to vangaurd or something? I can only find editors for the second game.

Also can I buy more grenades or only find them? I wouldn't mind being a soldier if I can use them a bunch because they are fun as poo poo.

Dunno about a save editor, so you might need to start over if it really bothers you that much.

Grenades can't be bought, you'll have to rely on drops / finding them (they can be re-stocked if you own the Pinnacle station DLC and have finished it though, but the DLC isn't really that great and arguably not worth buying if you don't own it already).

Aside from what other people have said;

- Always spend any talent points you have available on Charm / Intimidate. If you want to stick to one of the dispositions, just max that one out. Personally, I think exclusively sticking to either Paragon or Renegade is boring as hell and I like to play characters that use both skills (Charm and Intimidate) a lot, so I always max out both talents. This means I have less skill points available for other stuff, but it ensures I can always choose at least one option (depending on which skill I can max out higher) in dialogues and I found this to be a very interesting way to roll.

- Teammates that use sniper rifles and shotguns can be surprisingly effective if you equip said guns with High Explosive Rounds.

- The first three storyline planets you get are Feros, Therum and Noveria (as Zedd already mentioned, you might want to do Noveria last). Eventually you'll get a fourth storyline planet - make sure to complete the three mentioned above before you do that one.

- Talk to your squadmates back on the Normandy between missions. Eventually, some of them will ask you to go on a sidequest with them -- do these sidequests (at least Wrex's, and do that before you head off to the fourth storyline planet).

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

DarkDude98 posted:

I played 5 hours into Mass Effect 1 a couple of years ago now and stopped playing on the first planet you get to pick from. Is it worth going back and finishing Mass Effect 1 before jumping into 2? Not sure if I would be able to pick up from that save due to not remembered what's going on so would most likely start from the beginning of Mass Effect 1 but part of me just wants to go straight into Mass Effect 2.

How much would I miss out on story wise and decision wise for skipping the first?

If you want to enjoy and appreciate the story of the trilogy, definitely play through the first game at least once (you can even roll through it on Casual difficulty if you don't like the combat).
The sidequests in 1 can become a bit repetitive and you don't really need to do them (although some of them are fun too), so feel free to skip those. At best, some of the minor sidequests have a little callback that basically consists of a single email in 2.
Starting 2 without importing a savegame (or creating a modified one) is really underwhelming with regards to some characters and main storyline decisions though, so you should always do that when you start a ME2 playthrough anyway.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Centipeed posted:

Is there a recommended early-game progression with Mass Effect 2 as there was with the first? I'm at a point where I can either recruit the Convict, recruit the Krogan (I WONDER WHO IT IS?!) or go to the Citadel to get cooking supplies for my mess officer.

Can I do them in any order?

It's not really important in ME2 (unless you want to take specific characters into specific missions for whatever reason). The main storyline missions will pop up after you've done a certain number of recruitment (and side-) missions, but doing them in a specific order doesn't affect the main storyline or any dialogues at all.

Pretty much the only thing I'd recommend doing at a specific point is the Arrival DLC, and I'd save that until you're done with the entire ME2 main storyline, as it ends up being a bit silly if done before that.

EDIT: Also, the usual ME2 advice; If you want to get the 'best' possible ending, make sure to finish any mission and assignment you want done before you attend a certain mission with the word "IFF" in the title.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 5, 2011

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'd go in the thread to ask, but I don't want anything spoiled--in Deus Ex: Human Revolution's boss fight against Barrett, is there a non-lethal way to take him down? I took him down pretty easily by throwing remote explosives at his feet and taking cover, but I'm going for a no-kill playthrough. I'm inclined to think that because he explodes himself at the end of the fight, it won't count as me having killed him, but I'd like to know now if I need to reload and do the fight again.

Boss fights don't count towards that achievement, and AFAIK there's no way to resolve them non-lethally anyway.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'm about to start STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. Are there any mods that are mandatory before starting?

The STALKER Complete mod is your best bet. SoC is a bit buggy (still) out of the box and the Complete mod takes care of most of that while not changing the base gameplay or balance too much (like the Oblivion mod, among others, does).

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

gohuskies posted:

Borderlands? The wiki seems mostly to be about the DLC missions and multiplayer, I've started a solo Mordecai.

Some things off the top of my head:

- Pick, at most, two or three weapon types initially and try to stick with those (i.e. sniper rifles and revolvers, or sniper rifles and SMGs, but don't use all types of weapons all the time). You'll level up your weapon proficiency by using a type of weapon often, and this in turn will give you a bonus to reload speed, fire rate, etc., and it's better to have just two or three types of weapons leveled up very high by the end of the game than to have low levels in all weapon types.

- This also applies to skill trees -- obviously you'll want to build them around the types of weapons you want to use (I think Mordecai has some skills and weapon mods that cater to using pistols / revolvers so they're a good choice for your secondary gun). Don't worry about skill trees too much though as you can re-spec them (albeit at (low) cost).

- Rocket launchers are basically useless.

- Don't forget that you have grenades. You'll find replacements all the time and they're pretty useful. Along those lines, the Transfusion grenade mod can be a kind of a panic button; They'll add the damage you deal to enemies to your health so they're useful to throw at an enemy if you're about to die.

- Elemental weapons deal less damage on enemies that have the same kind of elemental thingy going (i.e. fire weapons will deal less damage on Fire Skags), so arm yourself accordingly.

- Weapon crates will re-fill upon loading a saved game, so you can be cheap and restart the game a couple of times and keep looting the same crates over and over. New Haven in particular is a pretty good place to do that because it has tons of crates in a relatively small area. Even if you're not deliberately reloading, it's worth doing a single crate-run whenever you fire up the game and continue to play.

- Check the gun stores frequently. You'll get a message when they re-stock and they sometimes carry very good guns.

- There are different types of shields, and you should always use the one with the highest capacity. In addition to that, you should always carry a healing shield to switch out between battles so you can get healed up. In fact if you have a healing shield that just has a marginally lower capacity than any other one you can find, just use that all the time to save you the hassle of switching.

Pierzak posted:

Don't believe the sniper rifle propaganda, get a proper marskman rifle (assault rifle + 2-3 round bursts + zoom). Served me well. Also if/when you find a corrosive weapon, keep it unless all the other stats royally suck.

While I agree that the low capacity burst assault rifles are probably more versatile and useful than sniper rifles, I wouldn't recommend using them (at least not as a primary weapon or over sniper rifles) with Mordecai, if only because his skill trees and class mods aren't really focused around using them.
If you want to use assault rifles, start over with Roland.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 18, 2011

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

burnsep posted:

I've always loved the Fallout games, but after the bugs in FO3 I decided to let time pass before buying New Vegas. I also heard of some atrocious glitches and general gameplay problems.

A year has gone by and I'd like to know if it's been patched into a more functional package, and if the DLC is worth buying. Also, any tips you can throw my way (no spoilers please!).

New Vegas is perfectly playable in the state it's in now.
It still has a few glitches with some quests here and there but it's nowhere near as bad as it was right after release, it has received tons of patches since.
I haven't played Lonesome Road yet, but all the other DLCs (Dead Money, Honest Hearts and Old World Blues) are good fun, each offering a couple of hours of solid gameplay. OWB is by far the best of the three of those, with some of the funniest writing I've ever seen in a video game.

As for general tips;
If you want to get the most out of the storyline and the quests, Speech is pretty much the most important skill. For gameplay, a gunslinger type of character (Guns skill, high Agility) is your safest bet. Energy weapons and explosive weapons are viable, but regular guns are the easiest to come by (and get ammo for).

A typical "powergaming" build would have high INT (8-9, mostly because high INT will give you tons of skill points with each level), high AGI (if you're going for guns, otherwise (if you wanna do energy weapons / explosives) high PER and better than average LCK (also helps you to get rich by winning tons of money in casinos).
Don't put more than 9 points in any stat because you can find ways to boost them within the game, so it's not really worth to max them out with the points you get initially.

Lockpicking and Science are obviously useful to get into locked stuff (lockpicking more so than Science, though Science does have a couple of dialogue checks provided it's high enough).
Barter is actually reasonably useful because it has tons of dialogue checks associated with it which will often net you nice rewards for quests, but it's not impossible to get ridiculously rich even with a low Barter skill.
Survival will let you craft some really powerful healing and combat boosting items, but you can get by just fine without those as well.
Melee works reasonably well and is fun, but again, if you want to powergame, Guns is a better choice.

As for the general game progress;
The game is pretty straightforward in terms of where it leads you to with the main quest. Following that route and exploring some locations along the way is probably the best way to play through the game (as opposed to taking some weird shortcuts early on). In fact, the game actually prevents you from going to places you're not supposed to go just yet by placing really difficult, high-level enemies in those places. Fighting them is pretty futile, try to find another route if you encounter enemies you can't take on yet.

EDIT:
One more thing.
Don't take the Four Eyes perk.
It sounds good on paper if you plan to wear glasses all the time, but the way it's calculated internally will make it lower your PER by one point for all the dialogue PER checks, even if you are wearing glasses, so it's annoying as hell to miss out on those.

EDIT 2:
Oh, also, Repair is an incredibly useful skill this time around. A high repair skill will also eventually enable you to gain one of the most powerful perks (Jury Rigging), which allows you to repair really expensive guns / armor using vaguely similar, cheap guns or armor (i.e. repairing a really expensive Power Armor with a Metal Armor). It's absolutely worth to invest points in this.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 23, 2011

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Goofballs posted:

Anyone have any advice for Dead Island? I've only been playing for a little bit (about an hour) and it seems really cool. I took the blunt weapons guy. What are good things to get in the level up screen and should I really try to play online like in Borderlands or would that just murder the atmosphere?

The problem with online play is that there is absolutely no difference in terms of zombie spawns or their health or anything like that compared to singleplayer, so it becomes ridiculously easy with four people. Playing it with friends is good fun, but it seems to end up with people just dicking about because the entire zombie killing business is trivially easy.
If you're enjoying the game and the atmosphere so far, I'd say go for a singleplayer run first.
In terms of skill trees, make sure to get the skill that allows you to do head stomps on downed zombies as soon as possible, it's easily the most important skill in the entire game.
The survival skill tree should be avoided until you have most (if not all) of the combat skills you want to have because most of the abilities there aren't really that useful and the points are better invested in other skills (I've only played as Logan so far but I think this applies to all characters).

Guns are fairly useless against common zombies but your best choice against human enemies. Also, most human enemies carry guns and ammo so you're pretty much meant to fight those with guns. For anything else, use melee weapons.

Thugs can be a bit tough to take on initially, don't be afraid of using molotovs / grenades against them (which pretty much instantly kill them), you'll eventually find plenty of those anyway.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I'm about to play Mass Effect(to be followed by Mass Effect 2) for the first time and I'm not sure which class to pick between engineer and sentinel.
I'm leaning more towards sentinel but I'm a little worried it may be abit rubbish or am I over thinking and it wont really matter anyway?

Also is there anything I need to know before I start?

Biotics are really fun in both games, and hilariously overpowered in ME1, so between those two classes, I'd side with Sentinel if only because the abilities are a bit more fun to use, but it doesn't really make a huge difference.
With the possible exception of Infiltrator and Soldier (because they both get to use sniper rifles properly and there are actually tons of opportunities to use them in ME1, unlike in ME2), all of the classes play pretty similarly in ME1.

Some other things you should know;

- If the sidequests become boring, don't sweat skipping them, except the ones given to you by your party members. You should do those. Also you'll get a sidequest on Earth's moon, definitely do that as well because it'll give you a class specialization.
- Talk to your squad members on the Normandy regularly between missions.
- At some point you'll have 4 main storyline planets to visit, Therum, Feros, Noveria and Virmire. Virmire will only pop up on your mission screen after you've done two others.
You can do these planets in any order, but it's highly recommended you do Therum before heading off to Noveria, and do Virmire as the very last one.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 3, 2011

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Hannibal Smith posted:

I see this advice a lot, but I can't figure out why people always suggest saving Virmire for last. I think it's much better to do Noveria last. Not only does it contain the hardest fight in the game, it seems to fit the story better.

I disagree, I think doing Virmire last seems to fit the story flow a lot better, what with (warning, MASSIVE SPOILERS) the Wrex situation, actually encountering Saren and having a battle with him and the consequent lockdown of the Normandy at the Citadel and the endgame being initiated by that all going down in a straight line without any interruptions.
But hey, the game gives you the ability to do it in any order you wish :I

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

oh one more thing are the DLC (Bring Down The Sky/Pinnacle Station) for Mass Effect worth getting?

What Mr. Smith up there said!

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Colon V posted:

Frozen Synapse

All of those are very good. Some more that popped into my head while reading over your list;

General
* In Dark Extermination (or any other Dark gamemode), always activate the "Continue on sight" mode when you tell your units to move between cover, unless you specifically expect an enemy to pop up somewhere along the way, in which case you should walk by aiming in that direction as it'll give you an edge over an enemy that is just walking regularly.
The only exception to this are shotgunners, which should always attack on sight, as they will pretty much instantly shred an enemy that is within range and you don't want to miss out on a kill because you had your shotgunner set to "Continue on sight".
* Related to this, anticipate where your enemy might have units placed that will engage on sight, especially machine gunners and snipers.
If you have a unit popping out of cover and an enemy machine gunner sees this unit, it will take a couple of seconds until the enemy machine gunner starts firing and kills your unit. This is precious time to get the drop on that enemy with a shotgunner or a second machine gunner of yours that can pop out of cover and take the enemy down, while your first "bait" machine gunner safely ducks down behind cover again, just before he gets killed (the "bait" must not have "engage on sight" activated for this to work, obviously).

Rocketeers / Grenaders
* In general you should avoid firing a rocket or grenade in the middle or towards the end of your turn. The reason for this is that the explosion won't happen until the next turn, and your enemy will, in the meantime, see the trails of the rocket / grenade and will have ample time to get out of the danger zone, thus wasting the shot.
If possible, always try to fire rockets / grenades early enough in a turn for them to explode in the same turn.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Soul Glo posted:

Mass Effect 2

If you haven't done so yet, do play through ME1 first and import your character into ME2. You'll be able to appreciate the series a lot more that way.
Also, if you're willing to shell out some extra money for DLC, get Lair of the Shadow Broker, Overlord, Arrival and Kasumi. All of those include storyline missions (as opposed to just new models or some new guns and armor) and they're quite good.
Make sure to get all the ship upgrades you can.
Do all the loyalty missions for your crew members.
Eventually you'll get a main storyline mission with the word "IFF" in it; Make sure you have all other missions and assignments that are open in your list at that point done before you continue with that one.
When you level up, spend the skill points on your class talent and max it out to level 4 ASAP. At level 4, pick the variety that gives you more boost to your Paragon / Renegade points as those are very important to get the more interesting dialogue choices.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Fallout: New Vegas for the first time and planning on running with a smooth-talking brawler type character.

It's absolutely viable. Speech is easily the most important skill if you want to solve most of the quests in the 'best' possible way. Along these lines, Barter has tons of checks in dialogues this time around so it's kind of useful even for quests, but it's absolutely not required to get rich or anything like that.
Also there's plenty of 'Unarmed' weapons around, so you should be ok with that.
High END will come in handy for this, obviously, as it determines your base skill level for Unarmed and you'll probably take a tad more damage than with ranged weapons so the extra HP will be useful.
I'm currently playing a character with Unarmed as my second combat skill and the character also has a luck of 10, which is hilarious and generally useful, but I think a high level of luck is particularly useful for Unarmed fighters because of the critical hit chance.
In any case, it probably won't hurt to have at least one other, secondary weapon skill. Guns is probably your best choice as it will profit from a high AGI score, which you should probably go for because of the increased action points and movement speed that synergize well with Unarmed combat.

EDIT:
Also,

GhostBoy posted:

I'd just mention that Charisma can still be used as a dumpstat for talkers

Absolutely seconding this. If you tag Speech initially and always keep investing skill points in it, you'll be able to pass the vast majority of speech checks even with a CHR of just 2 or something like that. Besides, CHR is probably the easiest stat to boost temporarily what with various kinds of alcohol, mentats and clothing, so you can easily get like 5 additional points in that just from temporary boosts. Add in a skill boosting magazine and you can get an instant +20 skill points if you really need them for an important check.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 7, 2011

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Any tips for Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Some stuff about augmentations;
There are a couple of augmentations that are required to access some areas / see unique stuff;
Social Enhancer for unique dialogue stuff
Icarus Landing System to access some areas where fall damage would kill you otherwise
Punch Through Wall to access some rooms and unique alternative routes
Move / Throw Heavy Objects similar to the wall punching thingy
and possibly the Jump Enhancement aug to ... well, jump to places you wouldn't be able to reach otherwise.
In addition, you might want to consider upgrading the Hacking aug to hack even level 5 systems, which are often the only way to get into containers or rooms that are inaccessible otherwise.
The Double Takedown is contextual and really handy in the few situations where you get to use it, but nowhere near required.

All of the other augs are basically just optional enhancements and you aren't gonna miss out on anything by not having them, so I'd suggest not spending Praxis points on anything other than the augs listed above until you've got all of those if you're a completionist.
Note that you can get by perfectly fine without having all of those things maxed out, it's just that you won't be able to get and see absolutely everything in the game in a single run, so, again, unless you're a completionist, this isn't a huge deal, but stuff like level 5 hacking and the ability to move fridges to access vents / block doorways can come in handy. I'd probably get the Social Enhancer aug ASAP though, as you'll be missing out on unique dialogue otherwise.

Other than that, the standard pistol is probably the best weapon because of the abundance of ammo (except for the last 1/5th or so of the game, at which point you should have stocked up on plenty of ammo for it anyway) and the small inventory size it requires.

The tranq. gun and stun prod are really good if you're going for non-lethal kills, so hang on to them if you find them.

If you get the chance to buy hacking software (nuke software / stop worm) at a vendor, buy as many as possible. The things are really useful and you'll be swimming in money soon enough anyway, also there are few other things worth spending money on anyway.

That's pretty much the most important stuff I can come up with off the top of my head.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 17, 2011

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Universe Master posted:

I bought all the Fallout: New Vegas DLC during the Steam Thanksgiving sale. I played through the main game twice when it was first released, but haven't done any DLC. In what order, and about when in the storyline should I start each one?

I'd recommend doing them in the order of their release (Dead Money > Honest Hearts > Old World Blues > Lonesome Road).
DM, OWB and LR are kind of linked and doing them in that order is probably the best way to experience their storylines. HH is kind of its own, isolated story and you can do it at pretty much any point, but doing it too late (i.e. if you're at really high level) might make the enemies a bit bullet-spongey. Same for OWB.
The game will give you a prompt that includes some advice on which level you should be at if you start each DLC, but in general the recommended level is way too generous and it's completely viable to do them even at like 5 levels below the recommended one (i.e. Dead Money's recommendation is level 20 or above, but it's fine to start it at level 15, especially if you want to have a bit of a challenge).

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Bigass Moth posted:

My advice for F:NV DLC is to skip Dead Money and Honest Hearts altogether (unless you have the ultimate edition). They are both pretty boring.

Old World Blues is really amazing and Lonesome Road is worth playing. I wish all DLC for all games could be as good as Old World Blues, got drat.

For every person saying DM and HH are bad, you'll get another one claiming the exact opposite. For what it's worth, I think they're the less interesting DLCs out of the four, but they also have some good things going for them and people's tastes are different enough that it's really hard to get a clear consensus on it, so I would absolutely recommend getting all of them and play them yourself, as it's the only way to find out whether you like a given DLC or not.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Centipeed posted:

how am I going to make up the rest of the Effective Military Strength?

Multiplayer basically.
I think the tie-in iOS games can increase the War Readiness % as well, but playing a couple of rounds of multiplayer will do the trick.
Just make sure you level it up to 100% before you attend that final mission and you should be good.

EDIT: To clarify, if you've done all the sidequests and scanned all the systems, etc. up to this point, there won't be any assets left that will allow you increase your EMS. That said, a Maximum Strength of ~5600 will be absolutely fine provided your War Readiness is at 100% (which can be achieved by playing multiplayer games). You can also promote multiplayer characters to get more assets and increase your Maximum Strength, but by the time you've played enough to promote the characters you'll have your War Readiness multiplicator up to 100% anyway and your EMS will be at > 5000 so there's really no point to that.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 29, 2012

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Ein Bear posted:

Thanks for the tips guys! :)

Started as Brick at first, but his skill tree looked a bit too focused on punching things, so have started again as Lilith - invisibility sounds pretty cool.

Have played up to the first 'boss' encounter, and this game is awesome! Only an hour in and I can already feel myself getting addicted to collecting loot... can't wait to get a bit deeper into it.

Just be aware that Lilith can be a bit fragile at the beginning of the game and for quite a while. The aggressive playstyle inherent to her class doesn't help.
At around 1/3rd into the game or so she becomes an unstoppable killing machine though.

Obviously you'll want to go with SMGs first and foremost with her. Double Anarchys are the weapon type with the highest DPS output in the game and work well with Mercenery class mods (it'll take a while until you get class mods). Alternatively, Hellfire SMGs and Phoenix class mods work well.

The game actually encourages you to stick to just a single type of gun because the more you use one type of gun, the faster your bonus skills (reload time, accuracy, etc.) for that type of gun will rise.
However, there's nothing wrong with carrying a shotgun or revolver as a secondary weapon and using that every now and then. Especially if you have a class mod that gives you a bonus to elemental damage, you can put out a lot of damage with a shotgun / revolver that has the same kind of elemental effect.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Here's the deal (re: Mass Effect):

Mass Effect 2 is probably more of a corridor shooter than ME1 because the Mako sections are entirely gone and therefore most missions take place indoors (and the outdoor areas might as well be indoor areas because of how linear and closed they are, compared to ME1's "open" planets). But all the missions are actually unique (even the sidequests), with very polished levels and not just the same 3 the copy & paste prefab buildings / spaceship interiors scattered about.
The combat mechanics are vastly improved.

If you're 3/4s through ME1, definitely stick with the game and at least finish the main storyline. Don't bother with any sidequests if you're sick of them and just do the main storyline planets (and the Bring Down the Sky DLC mission if you haven't done it yet).

The gameplay feels pretty different in ME2 (and it's vastly improved in pretty much every aspect) so it's hard to say whether you'll enjoy it based on how much you enjoyed (or loathed) ME1's alone, but unless you absolutely hate 3rd person cover (corridor) shooters in general and if the major problem with enjoying ME1 is the sidequests, there's a pretty good chance you'll enjoy ME2.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Pierzak posted:

Yes. You lose a whole lot of XP by playing run-and-gun.

Which, to be fair, you don't need if you're not playing stealthy / non-lethal anyway :v:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Centipeed posted:

I'm guessing double takedowns are what they claim to be, and let you take down two enemies at once?

How close to they have to be standing to one another/how do you activate it?

That's exactly it, yes.
The enemies have to be fairly close to each other, like a couple of feet. If it is possible to pull off, it'll just replace the regular non-lethal option on Q (or whatever button it is) meaning you just take down both enemies by hitting Q instead of just one.
Think of it more like a contextual ability like the wall-breaking augmentation; There are basically a couple of very defined and specific situations throughout the game where it applies, but it's not a universally applicable combat tactic or anything.
That said, it is very handy because obviously the devs have placed pairs of enemies in some very critical positions here and there that cater to just that aug.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

WarLocke posted:

The combat is not the main draw of the game, and I had more fun simply playing it for the plot and atmosphere.

People keep saying this but I've had tons of fun with Bioshock's combat. The combination of plasmids and weapons that felt pretty satisfying for the most part was good fun. Of course, if you don't enjoy it, turning down the difficulty a notch is in order, but I think it's definitely worth to give it a try on a higher difficulty because the combat is genuinely fun, contrary to popular opinion.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

WarLocke posted:

If you like the combat have at it, I just had more fun by making my dude all but invincible so I could focus on the rest of the game.

That'll happen regardless of difficulty anyway :v:

But yes, the game is excellent either way, I'm just surprised so many people are complaining about the combat (some of them indeed saying it's actively bad) when I've had pretty much the opposite experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Jastiger posted:

Team Fortress 2

If you're playing engineer:
Set up a teleporter entrance as soon as you exit your spawn. And once you've reached the frontlines, set up an exit. Even if you don't have time to upgrade it, you've just become 500% more useful to your team than if you'd just run out there and start building and upgrading your sentry / dispenser, die, and do it all over. Setting up teleporters should be your #1 priority unless you're at a point in the map where your entire team is defending right outside your spawn.

If you're not playing engineer:
(and you see a friendly engy's TP entrance outside your spawn): Quickly go back inside your spawn, switch class to engineer, and upgrade the entrance to level 3, then switch back to whatever you originally wanted to play. This is also quite important during the set-up time before a match starts. The only exception here is if you're playing medic, in which case you should spend the time building up Übercharge.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 31, 2012