Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
This ones kind of specific but early on in Jeanne d'Arc on PSP is there any advice for dealing with soul affinity? It seems like more trouble than it's worth since affinity of enemies seems entirely random and you only get 3 buff slots. Should I just not bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

thegloaming posted:

Can I get some advice about item management in Dragon Age? What should I be selling? What should I be keeping? Is money even all that important?

Sell any weapon or armor you're not using, you gain nothing by holding onto it. Any item that just has flavor text and isn't a gift like merchant contracts and gems is just selling fodder it only exists for that purpose. Save garnets though for a quest I think you need like 10.

Consumables that reduce damage types are very useful on higher difficulty levels. On normal or easy you can just sell them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Rakanakle posted:

In Dead Space I also never bothered buying ammo or health and sold health packs if my inventory was getting cluttered. If you spend every credit you have on Power Cells you can upgrade a gun into a beast pretty fast. I upgraded the Force Gun relatively early and I've been pretty much unstoppable playing on Hard.

Which on that note, don't carry more than 1 or 2 weapons + The plasma cutter at a time. Focusing on upgrading a handful of weapons is better than a full set of mediocre ones, plus the ammo that drops is tied to what you're carrying, so as long as you only have a few weapons you'll always have ammo you want.

You can beat the game just fine with the plasma cutter too, at that, but I find that's kinda boring.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

rivals posted:

Finally playing Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. I'm really early still, just got to the first merchant and bought the rifle and scope. Anything I need to keep in mind?
1.You can sell the scope back its pretty unnecessary because there's a perfectly usable one built in, so save space.
2.Don't bother with the TMP, it sucks, you're better off selling the ammo.
3.for the treasure items read the descriptions carefully, some gemstones can be inserted into specific artifacts to raise the cumulative value, and it often indicates which ones can be.

Other than that the game is hard to screw up, so enjoy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nick Buntline posted:

- Melee everything you possibly can. Melee attacks save ammo and do more damage to more or less everything in the game.
Forgot this, optimum way is one shot to the face, roundhouse kick and then slash them to death on the ground. You can slash them in the face to make them stagger instead of shooting but this leaves you more open to attack and frankly you dont need to save ammo THAT bad.

quote:

- The mine layer...utterly useless.

Exception: Shooting crows is hilarious

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

RE4 loves sending waves of guys at you towards the end, and neither the shotgun or the handgun are really equipped to handle those situations.

They are if you level them up. I used the TMP my first run because I wanted to have one of everything not including the mine launcher. I found on later runs it was redundant and took money away from upgrading the handgun and shotgun.

The TMP is mildly amusing on the gondola ride though since one hit from anything knocks people off, so just spray and laugh.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Archers are considered pretty weak while mages break the game so pick your poison.
For Mage focus on the ice and healing skill tree. Ice can paralyze enemies for long periods and healing is always good.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Notinghamington posted:

Anything for Resistance 2? Never played the first one either, can't find it at my gamestop so a story cap can also help.

Pretty standard console FPS. The story in the original is minimal and that's being generous. You get infected with the virus that creates the enemy creatures but it ends up being a symbiotic relationship that lets you regenerate health. You help push back aliens. In resistance 2 you continue this. That's really it.

melon cat posted:

Any advice for Fallout 3 (PS3)? I'll be picking it up today. I've heard that there are some game-breaking bugs. :ohdear:

Pump the poo poo out of INT. The boost you get from skill points can override almost anything. I went to 10 but it's easy to stop at 9 for any stat because there's bobble heads, one for each stat and skill that boost stats by 1 and skills by 10. Leave a 1 in Charisma. All the other stats have a point other than boost relevant skills (e.g. while STR affects your melee weapons skill it also affects carry weight) Charisma's sole purpose is to boost persuade, which if you have a high INT putting skill points into Persuade is not a problem.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 14, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The Viper posted:

Requesting Civ 3 and its expansion, conquests. I've played a bit of it but I'm still not sure which race is best, and my tactics are borrowed from Civ:Call to Power 2, and therefore poo poo. Any strategy tips?

Play Civ 4. That's the only good advice im being unironic.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I bought Civ 4, did the tutorial, and still don't know what the gently caress im doing :(

Havent tried to play it after that.

Play on the bottom 2 difficulty levels, at that point the game lets you win. It's a good way to learn how it all "works".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Coulis posted:

I ordered Alpha Protocol, any thing I should know about character creation, dialog system and more genereal stuff ?

Specialize in a weapon skill. That's the only "essential" one because firefights cannot be ignored. Pistols break the game so I reccomend going that route.

Past that do what you want. If you dont wanna specialize in sabotage, put a point in it, lets you bypass the absolutely awful codebreaking minigame by putting relatively inexpensive mines on it.

Don't buy tier 2 weapons/armor. You don't get enough money to keep upgrading, just wait for tier 3 stuff.

Other than that do what you want. Alpha Protocol is designed in such a way that you cant do it "wrong", pissing people off and befriening them both have benefits, they're just different.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Well Darksiders for PC came out today and I went and bought it because I've been waiting for it for a while. Anyone got some tips for it?? I'm playing on the hardest difficulty setting.

Tiamat the first boss is hard as gently caress but dont give up, the game's difficulty drops significantly after.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Red Dead Redemption:

I am still fairly early in the game. John Marston's goal is to get to the guy in Fort Mercer. However, I've been doing some missions for both the marshal and the West Dickson guy. Both of them are telling me they'll help me eventually. My question is, do I have to choose one of them? If I do the missions for one of them, does that exclude the other guy from helping?
No.

quote:

Also, where the gently caress are all these wolves and cougars coming from? I used to come across one cougar once in a great while. Now, in certain regions, there's a never ending parade of them. Does the game adjust how much wildlife you come across as you progress or was I just lucky all along?

No, just bad luck.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

Try to leave items on places where you frequently pass or use some as bread crumbs.

Why? The game has a 3D map and the line that tells you where to go.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

I hate that kind of map and that line is for scrubs.

The line owns. It tells me which way not to go so I can explore every nook and cranny without accidentally triggering a cutscene that doesn't let me go back because I'm OCD as gently caress.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Polite Tim posted:

You can't miss him/her as such, as you have to go through the swamp later on to get to Gargan Roo, i think, just you can pick him up earlier and get some skills for him.

I'm sure he meant the first time, If you miss Quina the first time that's a significant chunk of the game where you're down a party member.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Planescape: Jack up your WIS to 18 to start. Then focus on CHA, then INT. This is a very very wordy game and most of progression is going to be about talking to people, not brute force.

Icewind Dale is the exact opposite. It is a diablo esque dungeon crawl and is actually pretty difficult compared to the other infinity engine titles. So focus on damage and lots of it.

Red Dead Redemption, do the Bonnie (first mission giver) quests until she gives you the lasso. The game makes a mistake of potentially letting you do the bounty hunter side quests before you have the lasso, and you cannot capture people alive without it (Alive bounties are always worth way more money which is helpful in the early game).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

21stCentury posted:

i just played Jade Empire and i am inclined to agree. I expected a cool kung-fu version of Baldur's PlanesGate:Tormanent. i got a silly game with John Cleese and perpetual rape powers.

I pretty much beat the final boss in 5 hits without taking any major damage, minmaxing or grinding.

Baldur's Gate was Bioware so I think he was taking a shot at that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

I.e.; set repair, the armor skill of your class, agility, the attack skill (be it magic or melee), and lock picking as secondary skills at minimum. Potion-making isn't a bad bet either to set as a secondary skill. Primary skills should be things like speechcraft, and unused armor and offensive skills. This does three things, a) leveling up is your choice, b) enemies only improve in your primary skills, and c)when/if you do level up you'll be able to get the maximum +5 bonus to the stats you use every time.

As an extension of this do NOT under ANY circumstances set athletics or acrobatics as primary. Hell I wouldn't set them up as trained at all, Athletics levels up by walking, acrobatics by jumping. Yes you can already see where this can be an issue I'm sure.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Running.

Semantics, who ever walks? Running is already pretty drat slow in the beginning as it is.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Gynovore posted:

I haven't played DotP, however, the best way by far to learn Magic is face to face with real people. Buy one of the latest prebuilt decks and hang out at your local gaming store. Most people there are pretty friendly and willing to help a newbie.

If you bought DotP and dont already play, buying real cards is probably the last thing on your mind.

Which deck are you using? Tips have a lot to do with the color of the deck.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

That's a nasty one. You kinda need to pick one of the decks and grind the first guy a few times because the default doesnt work.
Alternatively go into custom duel, set the Life and deck size for you to max and the opponent's to minimum. Easy way to fill up a deck.

Protip I recalled btw, when you unlock the artifacts that give 1 life whenever you play card of X color, take them out. They just clog up your deck reducing the odds of getting anything genuinely useful.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Jjaarreett posted:

Demon's Souls anyone? I made a knight, stumbled through 1-1, killed the Phalanx without too much trouble, started up 1-2 and well yeah. I couldn't really make it back to my bloodstain after that and ended up leaving. Now I seem to be stuck in "soul form". Any ideas on where to go next or should I just start over fresh?

Being in Soul Form is often preferable. Each world has a "Tendency" thats black or white. When you die in body form you sway it towards black, enemies get harder and drops improve. When you kill a boss it moves towards white, enemies are easier but less drops. For this reason on the first go its often easier to just kill yourself in the nexus, which has no tendency, everytime you get your body back. There's a ring you can get in 1-2 I believe that increases your max health in soul form so the difference becomes largely beneficial.
If its the one im thinking of...after you beat the blue knight in 1-2 and the soul door opens, you'll see a set of stair cases behind the soul door. Since you cant jump you have to sort of find the right time to run foreward "off" the stairs so you land on the waist high wall below. You'll see an NPC nearby. dispose of all the enemies near him and talk to him, he'll give you this ring as a reward.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Kruller posted:

Mass Effect even uses gender specific pronouns, and it stands out since most don't.

KOTOR 1+2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Jade Empire... They call the characters generic names like The Exile, (KOTOR1 spoiler): Revan, Warden etc. But Shepard is just as much of a "placeholder name". It's just an actual name instead of a title, plus a lot of characters will call you Commander too. It's just as gender-neutral as any other WRPG.

Seriously a lot did.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 16, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

skizzenstifte posted:

the Oblivion tips were great, thanks y'all. gonna try Fallout 3(360) now, any advice?

Extra bit of advice I have is on stats. Dont concern yourself with this if you're not really a min maxer, so just skip this wall of text if you dont care.

A high INT is the most important thing in the game imo. Your skill points each level are INT x 2. I personally try and have 10 INT whenever I play for this reason.

Charisma is a dump stat. All the other stats have a secondary use that cannot be made up for with skills. STR increases carrying capacity, AGI increases action points, CON increases HP, INT increases skill points, PER increases the range you see enemis on your radar.

CHA doesn't do anything but boost your persuade skill, you can just as easily max out INT and raise persuade really high to make up for any loss of CHA.

Other factor is there are bobbleheads, 1 for each attribute and one for each skill. The attribute ones raise a specific attribute by 1, and the skills raise a skill by 10. So ifyou want to be optimum you want to not raise an attribute higher than 9 (Since if you have 10 the attribute is capped at 10) and your skills higher than 90 (You cannot raise a skill higher than 100 with skill points, although gear still boosts the stat past 100 even if it doesnt say it). I personally didnt care about this, I raised my INT to 10 because skill points are worth it and I wasnt going to hunt down every last bobblehead anyway.

Theres 3 bobbleheads potentially missable forever.
1.Megaton in the sheriff's house is the STR.
2.On your dad's desk is the one for medicine, so grab this before you leave.
3.The other, to avoid spoilers, is in the big bad villian's secret base. You'll know it when you get there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

"Torch"? What is this Victorian times? We have batteries now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ToH is less a module and more a long practical joke though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

flatluigi posted:

Just picked up Arkham Asylum on the Steam sale. I'm a pretty big completionist; any achievements or suchlike that are missable on the first playthrough?

To add on to the 2 achievements these guys mentioned, you cannot miss any of the collectibles, in fact it's the inverse, many cannot be found until you have all the gadgets. If you ever feel like you've been locked off from something, you're not, you just need to get further in the plot. Grab the riddler trophies if you see them but do not pull your hair out doing it, some of them are just not accessible immediately.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Anonononomous posted:

Isn't the one in the cell where you fight Harley Quinn missable?

No? Why would you think that?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Anonononomous posted:

I thought I read people saying that it was. Like the door closes behind you and the escape route is also one way.

Oh. Well maybe? Seems like it'd be hard to miss because it lures you in with the trophy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Puppy posted:

I'm about to start playing Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core for the first time. What should I bear in mind? Are there any battle or ability mechanics that aren't very clear? I get bored with RPGs really fast if I don't have a good understanding of how everything works. Also, any missable events or items to look out for?

The entire thing is a missable event/item fest. Just dont let it get to you. Best advice: Don't overdo the missions. There are too many and they all recycle the same 3-4 maps. You will go insane and not finish it out of sheer boredom, and it makes you super overpowered for the main storyline.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would suggest playing on the hardest difficulty if you like challenge in your games. The regular difficulty is pretty piss easy in my opinion.

I wouldn't. Hard difficulty was added in the US version to make New Game+ a decent challenge. All it does is the standard raise HP amounts. It's really tedious, especially at the start when you dont have a lot of tools to play around with.

ToxicFrog posted:

Batman: Arkham Asylum. Picked it up during the sale and I just made it to the batcave. What should I know? Is there anything I can miss? I'm worried I've already missed something in Medical - I can't figure out how to get back to the underground floors now that I've left, and I know there was at least one riddle in there I didn't solve.

This is normal. You'll come back to every area in the game at least once as part of the plot, often you need a new gadget to get to places. Do not stress yourself about riddler trophies, nothing in the game is missable and in fact, you'll need all your gadgets to find them all. Grab the trophies if you see them but do not stress yourself out about it, more often then not you need to come back later.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I realize this isn't a game you should ask for help but im just plain stuck so I'm gonna ask. Very early in Amnesia:

I'm in the archives, I picked up a map and had a flasback talking about bordering up the walls against the shadows and then the room collapsed the way I came in. I'm guessing the exit involves the the hole in the wall you can interact with but I cant find a tool to break it

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 31, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I think you just need to throw something at it; I used a knight's helmet from a nearby rubble pile.

e: would have posted this sooner but my forums cancer kept interfering, sorry for the wait!

Oh der. I'll try that when it gets dark. I guess I didnt expect physics to be used like that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Captain Novolin posted:

There really isn't much reason to not take Wild Wasteland, and it doesn't really affect anything (a few encounters are different, but not by much).

The only thing I'd say is depends on how you like your fallout. If you like more of a Fallout 1 game, then don't take it. If you don't mind Fallout 2 with more aliens and pop culture references then definitely take it.

It really hinges on how big you are on MY IMMERSION.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

21stCentury posted:

So, I should focus on school social links first and foremost during school days? Those are, IIRC, the school council and classmates, right?

Just kinda go with what you want. The benefit of social links is pretty minor IMO. As someone said theres I think like 10 days of leeway assuming you do a perfectly optimum run and without a guide you wont be able to do that. So just kinda go with it and save a 100% run for another time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Astfgl posted:

You can also use some twice. If your example was this: {xxx{xxx} you could get two bonuses out of that, from clicking the second { and then by clicking the first {.

Finally if you just feel like straight up cheating, leave the hacking screen if youre completely out of attempts. It'll reset everything. Works for lockpicks too! (You get 3 mistakes before pins start breaking)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

That's horrible advice. Gambling is a great way to break the game.

Ok maybe not everyone wants to do that but still. But to say theres "no need" isnt really right.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Bloodcider posted:

Just ordered Splinter Cell Conviction. I remember from the demo it was nowhere near as nuanced as Chaos Theory and is more cover->shoot->sneak->cover, but I've been playing Alpha Protocol a lot lately so I'm cool with that. Anything I should know about it going in though?
Just use a silenced pistol, whichever one has the most Mark and Execute slots. Being able to do that makes the game a breeze.

quote:

And does it have split-screen terrorist hunts (or whatever they're called in this game) so I can bro it up with my roommate? We loving loved Vegas 1/2.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Dubplate Fire posted:

Just rolled a toon for the first time in Crimson Haze. Any good advice for newbie?

Don't do this.