Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Very cool thread!
Id like to request some tips on mastering Silent Hunter 3 on higher realism and any possible mods that might be needed.
That game always kicks my butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Lightguy posted:

Dragon Age

I have been holding off on this game until my exams are over (which they are on monday), i REALLY wanted to play a ranger. Would you say that archery is a really stupid route to take or that its just kinda worse than the other options?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

MMAgCh posted:

Contrary to what the name might imply, being a ranger has nothing to do with going the archery route (i.e. the talents it enables are not geared towards either melee or ranged combat as such), so you should not let that hold you back. The brief ranger description in the manual actually is fairly spot-on. :)

I should have been more clear, i want to play the ranger AND use archery weapons, thanks for mentioning the talents tho, it made me dare to look at the wiki (spoilernerves), and i found out some plesant things about the talents.

al-azad posted:

Non-magical ranged attacks are overshadowed by magic. Actually, everything is overshadowed by magic. In an ideal situation, your mages will be dishing out the damage while a melee character draws aggression or quickly stuns enemy mages.

But don't let this discourage you. Normal difficulty is enough to let you experiment with any party load out for 99% of the game's fights and you can always change the difficulty at any time.

I dont really like magic all that much, i guess you could say i roleplay a anti-magic character, i wouldnt say that tho cause i think it sounds extremly nerdy :(
Casters in my party will be on healing duty i presume, so i can pretend they are clerics.

I'll just get a feel for archery as i go along :)

Are there any negative consequenses to switching the party loadout? As for instance in Mass Effect where you could miss out on a achivement. I dont even know if the game has achivements and i really dont care, but i could miss out on an ITEM :supaburn:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there anything i should know before starting Bayonetta?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker
Starting it rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright now, what should i know? Already played all the other games except the other PSP games.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Thanks, thats some good tips. I dont quite get the truck thing, but i have a feeling its one of those things i'll understand when im there.

Is there a point to doing the sidemissions? I never was that interested in marksmanship challenges.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any tips for Monster Hunter 3? I went back 10 pages searching for previous mentions of it, but i did not see anything.
Most annoying is the continually spawning monsters bothering me while im trying to harvest or loot their friends, also is there a lock on system i have somehow missed? Im having trouble with my character being locked in place during every frame of my swings and hitting small creatures is also really hard.

Id love any game tips aswell, but these issues are making the game extremly unfunny for the moment.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 13, 2010

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Post poste posted:

There is an entire topic semi-active about this game, with full weapon and crafting tutorials, in case you missed it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3297011

No, i knew of it, but i wanted the vague nudges and spoilerfree tips this thread gives, not tutorials. That's what really makes this thread great in my opinion.
As for Monster Hunter Tri, the lack of good aiming versus small beasts seems to be countered pretty well by the wide swings of hammers.
For the constant respawning monsters it seems that they CAN eventually run out, but having to commit genocide or dodge flying raptors while harvesting some bone just does not seem right, so i thought i was missing something, maybe like a monster repellant, but oh well!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Fight Night Champions, i realise the game is really new, but as i understand it the combat system is somewhat the same as the other games. I never played the other games and even tho im winning fights (at medium difficulty), the game is telling me im BAD AT BOXING.
I wish to be good at the boxing.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 6, 2011

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Polite Tim posted:

Just picked up Bayonetta, started on normal and have done the first two verses, anything i should know before i proceed other than to get a RSI wrist brace?

In the shop where you buy new moves, it would be prudent to leave one move unbought as afaik it is the only place where you can get the little tutorial area WITH enemies in it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
This may be a bit early, but anything for The Witcher 2?
Aspecially would i have had to have played the first to enjoy the story? There was a LP of it, but it died out very early when someone lured the OP away with some cheeze.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything good for Empire: Total War? I finally have a computer that can run it and I'm overwhelmed. I'm mostly looking for campaign map tips, there's...a lot to look at.

What techs should i be focusing on? I know I've heard fire by rank is an important one, so I've been going for that first, but after that?

How do I reliably make money?

What buildings should I be building in my capital cities (region capitals)?

Can I train new agents? I've only just started dicking around, but I don't see any way to train them yet. Does it come with a tech later, or do you get them some other way? I'd love to get more gentlemen to help with research.

What kind of army compositions should I be striving for? My instinct with games in this era is just to build a ton of line infantry because they're easy to use and they look cool, but that can't be right.

What's a good starting nation? Ideally something with not too many starting provinces and no super dangerous neighbors. I tried the UK but having to deal with two theaters from the beginning was a bit overwhelming, I'd like to just stick to Europe if I can. Austria? Prussia? Poland?

As far as tech goes i would go straight for "Fire By Rank" in the "combat" tree, but as you take land you will find out that you can fit many schools within your economy so you can do broad research on many subjects. But the most important things in my opinion is Fire By Rank and strong artillery.

Don't build everything in every province, plan out where you want army provinces and focus the others on economy, try to send Indiamen (tradeships) to the special theaters to claim tradenodes, you will have to contend with pirates and rival fleets down there tho, so try to protect them. Be vary of how much upkeep the various buildings and units cost and try to plan ahead. You said that you want to focus on Europe and that is find, but the real money is in India and America.

Army compositions, the AI will almost always come to you, a strong defensive position works wonders. A very basic tactic that works is a line like this:

Cavalry - Lineinf- Lineinf - Cannon - Lineinf - Cannon - Lineinf - Cannon - Lineinf- Lineinf - Cavalry

As the enemy line comes within range, hit them with canister shots from the cannons (think a gigantic shotgun), it will decimate them, then run around them with the Cavalry and hit them in the back while the Line Infantry holds them at bay, watch out for friendly fire on the cav.
Later on you will get mortars and at that point the enemy will have no choice, but to attack you to shut down the mortars.

For a starting position, England really is the best, you don't HAVE to fight in India or America and you have a natural fortress in the British Isles to launch attacks from, just remember to have a strong navy.
However a good second choice is Russia as it is on the edge of the map and you can eliminate the possibility of any attack from the North or East.

Hopefully you can work out your own methods with these tips and don't do 100% what i say, but rather use it to build on your own experiences.

You cannot train new agents sadly, but they are largely useless.

Don't play Shogun 2 if you want to enjoy Empire :P

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 29, 2011

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ainsley McTree posted:

Why's that? Is it a lot better?

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind. As for building navies, what should I be striving for there? Again, my instinct in games from this era is to just build as many of the biggest ships available as possible, because I'm simple and they look awesome, but is that not a good idea?

As far as parking trade ships on trade nodes, is there a limit to how many a node can take? Or should I always be building trade ships all the time always?

That's what i did for navy armies aswell, i found them kinda boring and a line of the biggest ships seemed to melt everything.

There is a limit to how many ships a node can take, but there are many nodes. This is a somewhat risky way of making money tho, so don't base your entire economy on it.

Shogun 2 is very different from Empire, i think Empire is a good game, but Shogun 2 is much better, but a very different game as i said. The thing is that the game mechanics, diplomacy, AI and agents are so much better that i don't think you could go back to Empire, atleast i could not.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anything for MAG? Played it a bit lately, but it seems so terribad, wanna see if im missing something.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
gently caress, my character is Raven, whats wrong with Raven!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Combat-Jack posted:

Their weapons have some of the worst stats in the game (I believe, there may be some people that can quote specifics) and generally they just have some of the least cohesive players. I consider it a great and holy day if I win two matches out of all that I have played.

Ok, that is the best tip i could get i think, i'll delete my guy and remake him into the dudes that wear garbage. Thank you!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
If you get Warband there is no reason to get the first one, Warband is just better with updated graphics, updated gameplay and the ability to fund your own kingdom. Fire and Sword is generally considered to be not as good, but someone else has to chime in with why.

Some general tips for the early game:
Do quests for villages to make them like you more, the more they like you the more recruits you get from them. Sometimes you even get upgraded troops.

Recruit every companion you can find/afford and send them out to spread word about you aiming to become the king. This gives you right to rule and unless its about say 30 when/if you create your own kingdom, factions are gonna declare war on you as gently caress. You can just dismiss the companions you dont want when they come back tho.

Keep a few companions with you that have skills you dont have, worth planning ahead for this.

Also i would reccomend you dip into the mods pretty early, thats where the real fun is at.
Native Expansion is a good one to start with, and Prophecies of Pendor is a really fun one for when you get more experienced.

Edit: Oh and if you can avoid it, try not to fight the Khergiit to much. The units they have are ALL mounted and battles can be really frustrating, usually my main reason to play mods instead.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 21, 2012

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've done some poking around for info on mods and most people said Diplomacy was the general improvement mod to get. Would you recommend Native Expansion over that?

The thing about M&B mods is that they dont really work together like say Bethesda games mods, so its usually either or. Diplomacy sounds really REALLY cool on paper, but it also means that unless that mod is packaged with another one you only get those changes. On that basis i would recommend Native Expansion over that, but having said that i also have never tried Diplomacy.

The only thing i can say about Fire & Swords is that i didnt like it, the core musket combat is just boring to me. Hopefully someone that has acutally spendt more time with that game is willing to swoop in and throw their cents worth on the subject.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Far Cry 3

"HEH REALISTIC SHOOTER GAME HUNTING SIMULATOR STEALTH, MUSIC WILL ONLY DISTRACT ME FROM THIS EXPERIENCE" *turns music off*

No, never do this like i did, the music is really really good at parts and really adds to the game and i wish i hadn't turned it off.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So you american infidels have had Brave New World for a while now, any tips? New UI shortcuts, things you wish you knew for your first game and etc?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
XCOM: Enemy Unknown is free this weekend, and it seems we don't have a wikientry for it. Should we scrape something together to put up there?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Anything to note before i get further into this game? Nothing on the wiki. I don't want to touch MP or Coop at all, (bad connection and people are stupid) am i gonna have trouble buying all the sweet stuff? I tried one of the optional missions, but it was one tiny square where enemies came from every angle at me and i almost quit the game there and then. But i did a plot mission after that and that was pretty rad.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

No but Hayter already voiced Naked Snake / Big Boss, so its still a switch.

Can't get into Sutherland myself. :smith: Hayter was soooo good.

Only reason i'm still on board is that it feels logical that Solid Snake and Big Boss will see screen time together and maybe Hayter comes back then. Well, and that the game looks like it's gonna be a good game. But i'm just as excited about MGS:TPP as i was about Shadow of Mordor at this point, which is still a fair bit, but it's not "holy poo poo new MGS, DROP EVERYTHING" and just "new cool game possibly".

Edit: Oh, this isn't even the MGS:TPP thread D:

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anything for Expeditions: Viking? I got the combat down pat, it's basically X-Com, but the game has TONNES of intricate gameplay mechanics that i'm worried i won't fully understand before it's too late.