Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, I just started Disgaea for the DS, which I understand is a port of the first one for the PS2. Any chance of getting some tidbits on this pretty overwhelming game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OxMan posted:

Any combat tips for Dragon Age on the CONSOLE? AOE spells seem absolutely useless as they hurt my melee guys attacking the enemies I'm trying to cast them on more than the enemies themselves, and attempting to position anyone is an exercise in futility. How am I supposed to do this? I tried telling everyone to stay in the same spot, then move people individually where I wanted them but this took so long that the enemies would be repositioned near the Wynne again by the time I finished moving Alistair, Morrigan, and myself. Combined with laying traps which, as a rogue (and as the game is pretty drat challenging), is pretty much required for any sort of non-cannon fodder fight, I find myself either dying repeatedly on an encounter until I get lucky enough to cheese it, or find each little fight taking 5-10 minutes due to all the micromanagement. The ghetto gambit system seems to be nigh useless on anything but their default settings.

Secondly, I've played a ton of WRPGs and CRPGs and I still can't quite figure out what kind of equipment each class does well with. Should I focus on spellpower boosting no armor stuff for mages, or should I outfit them in light armor that gives them some protection that gives bonuses to stats?

I'm currently fighting Sloth inside the Fade and by the time I reach his true form after the 4 shapeshifts my party's just tuckered out and I can't keep up with healing everyone.

I've played through the console version of DA:O a few times, and I keep returning to a ghetto stun-lock strategy: I make Alistair specialize in the various stunning shield attacks and rig his tactics to use them basically all the time. I have Wynne set to use mass rejuvination and/or Glyph of Repulsion. Morrigan is set to use Winter's grasp and Paralysis or Mass Paralysis. Then my character rolls in with the highest-damaging attacks possible.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

casual poster posted:

Can someone point me in the right direction for a starting tutorial for Demon Souls? Theres alot to learn so I don't want to ask.

If you're playing a female, play offline for a good while. You can get basically the best armor (female only) in the game if you get World 1 to pure white tendency and fight a special boss. Playing online can change the world tendency pretty drastically almost arbitrarily, and you have a limited number of chances to get World 1 to pure white tendency since you can't fight black phantoms there or resurrect blue ones.

I have almost never found a reason to be in body form; dying in a World while in body form lowers the world tendency. Suicide in the Nexus to return to soul form.

Armor level is important, but don't sacrifice mobility for it. If you can't roll smoothly, your armor is too heavy.

As a matter of fact, I would just look at a guide. This is a game where it's very possible to permanently miss a lot of stuff.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thegloaming posted:

Can I get some advice about item management in Dragon Age? What should I be selling? What should I be keeping? Is money even all that important?

Look up a list of unique items. Sell everything else.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bbcisdabomb posted:

My advice is to pick up whatever guns you like using. They're all pretty useful.

I agree - the game is so incredibly easy that the difference between the best and worst gun is negligible. Well, except the mine thrower, which is useless no matter how you look at it.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just started playing Tactics Ogre for PSP and am having a pretty hard time with it. Can anyone help me out?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fungah! posted:

Archers are the god-kings of damage, try to have at least one, maybe two in your party all game. If you give Canopus a bow, he's unbelievably deadly and can get anywhere on the battlefield.

Damage spells blow unless you're using them on dragons or golems. Use status effect spells instead. Earth and Dark have the best status effects, but water's the only out-and-out lovely element. Be very careful when you're using missile spells, I can't count the number of times I've hosed up and nailed one of my own dudes

If you're using Rune Fencers/Valkyries, outfit them to be roving buffbots, they'll never do enough damage to help out more than a few times a battle and they take damage like wet toilet paper.

When you get a chance, get a Lobber, stick it on your cleric, and give her the highest level of Field Alchemy you've got. Voila, you've now at least doubled your healing effectiveness.

Those are all kind of general things, where specifically are you and what are you having trouble with?

Thanks! Specifically, I'm having a hard time dealing damage; it seems like most of my dudes are doing a piddly amount of it.

Also, I really like to know ahead of time if a class or ability is useless in any rpg. Not a lot of time for trial and error as an adult. :)

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What should I have known before starting Darkest Dungeon?

I can't make much progress, game is brutal.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yip Yips posted:

I've never played Skyrim. What's the most fun class (alternatively what boring class should I avoid) and are there any mods that are no-brainer must haves? I don't want to go crazy with modding right off the bat but if there's stuff that makes the game not crash or seriously improves quality of life like the inventory sorters in Fallout I'm all ears.

Do yourself a favor any never touch enchanting or blacksmithing. Both are completely broken and trivialize any items you will find in the game.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone give me some stating guidance for STALKER: Call of Pripyat?

People tell me it's a great game but I'm finding it kind of impenetrable. There are just a few general tips in the BIP wiki.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone give me a rundown of how the FOB invasion stuff works in Phantom Pain? Is there a way to have FOBs but not deal with the invasion stuff?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I guess what I'm worried about is getting busy with work or going on vacation for a week and coming back to discover all my materials are gone and I have no security staff. So these things don't require constant tending?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody have anything for Arx Fatalis? The wiki seems a little sparse.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ahhh that's the good stuff. Thanks.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kruller posted:

Anything for Factorio? The stuff I've looked up so far is hilariously complex and makes no sense. Speak to me as though I am a child.

Honestly, just play through the campaign and come up with your own designs. Pay attention to the machinery that is already set up for you when you start the missions - that's how they introduce concepts to you. The game isn't that hard, and you'll only need the needlessly complex stuff people are talking about in the online guides if you're hitting efficiency ceilings. Oh, since you said speak to you as a child, I mean when your machines aren't producing stuff fast enough.

As far as general tips:

- Spread out, you don't need to make super tiny compact factories unless you want to.
- Make sure to understand that conveyor belts have two sides and which side your inserter is grabbing from/putting down. Inserters can grab from either side but place on the far side of the belt.
- Don't be afraid to remove machines and redesign. Your conveyor belts will fill up with materials but whatever is producing the materials will automatically stop.
- If you're feeling especially nerdy, use something like this to visualize your production lines.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kind of a modified "before" I play question, but steam apparently ate my hundred hour blind play save of Dark Souls. While I would love to put the time in again I am an adult so it took like months to do it the first time and I want a way to cream the early game.

So is there some early game stuff I can do to get powerful somewhat quickly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoshi posted:

I grabbed Rimworld on a whim after jonesing for a sci fi DF for years and seeing it mentioned in one of the PYF threads. I've been playing for maybe an hour now and it's really cool, just wondering if there are any things I should watch out for.

My advice would be to avoid looking up anything about the game. There is no win-state, so once you have everything optimized then the game is essentially over. It's easy to look up strategies and descriptions of everything you encounter, but once you build a colony that can take any challenge then there's really nothing left to do.