Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

For Overlord don't get too attached to your minions as they'll just die in some battle or another. While they technically pick up equipment from killing enemies its almost entirely cosmetic and doesn't really add anything to their abilities so don't be afraid to just send them to their deaths. While its good to have a mix of minions once you unlock the other races you'll want to mainly stick with the brown ones since they do the most damage to just about everyone.

That's not true at all, equipped minions take less damage and deal out more damage. Early on in the game it doesn't make a lot of difference, but with the equipment they pick up later it makes the minions hugely more effective.

Other hints:

1. Put all your blues on a flag near a fight, they'll automatically run out and resurrect any minions who die. Make sure they don't get attacked though, because they die really fast.

2. Prioritize unlocking up all four different types of minions first, it helps cut down on back tracking.

3. If a creature is on fire he can't fight and he'll take more damage, so having a few reds around is always helpful.

4. A green minion who's attached to a creature will do a lot more damage than an attached brown, a green minion who's not attached will do a less damage than a brown who's not attached.

5. The first level minion boost spell is probably the best spell in the game, since you retain total control of your minions like normal.

Using 4 and 5 together you can take down some of the most powerful enemies in the game extremely fast. For example, to kill a unicorn:

1. Let it charge you and dodge it
2. As soon as it's gone past you, send 5 or 10 greens at it and turn on the minion boost spell at the same time
3. Bye bye pit pony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Bouchacha posted:

For overlord, I would say to not bother upgrading or forging anything until you get the third forge. Save your lifeforce and gold because you seriously gently caress poo poo up with fully upgraded Aracanium equipment. You can solo most of the dungeon at that point.

Also, if you have the Raising Hell expansion, there's a recipe for a magic helm in the Halfling domain's expansion level that doubles the amount of life force you collect. This makes farming life force for forging items a lot less painful (though still dull as hell)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

bigHEADinc posted:

Be it Elixirs in Final Fantasy games, grenades of all types in Resident Evil 5, or even the Hammer Bros. Suit in Mario Bros. 3, I'm still that guy when it comes to saving something for "later". There never is a "later". You will get magic that heals you up fully so you'll never use the elixirs, it's hard to switch to the grenades when they're really useful, and your rear end in a top hat little brother is gonna put on the Hammer Bros. Suit and get killed by a loving Goomba because he couldn't figure out how to use the goddamn hammers...

To all hoarders out there, stop waiting for "later"... It just ends in heartbreak.

Try playing Persona 4, seriously. "Later" comes with the end boss of each of the last 3 dungeons. I burned through so many special items in those fights it was unbelievable. Even items that I never use, like DEF and ATT boosters, were being munched up like candy and I still only pulled through by the kind of my teeth. Alternately, I may just suck v:shobon:v

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Overlord II

- On PC, don't play with a Mouse and Keyboard, if you can plug in a X360 controller and use that, your life will be A LOT easier.

- Browns are your meat shields, they have high defense but do poor damage. You almost always want to send them into a fight first.

- Red do high ranged damage, but are physically very weak. Try and keep them shooting, but out of the melee. Most enemies won't fight back when they're on fire.

- Greens have the highest damage output of any minion type, especially if attached to a creature, but are barely any tougher than reds. With lone, large enemies (like Pandas and Eradicators) a good tactic is to put all the rest of the minions somewhere safe, then hide the greens on a flag between you and the enemy. Then run up the enemy and kite him past the greens, who'll repeatedly jump on and attach to the target, killing it very fast. Make sure you kill any bugs/rabbits/parrots first though, otherwise the greens will unstealth to attack them.

- Blues are pretty much useless for combat, they have the same damage output as browns, but very low toughness. In big fights, just put them on a flag nearby and they'll automatically run in and resurrect any minions that die. Generally enemies will never attack blues if there are other minion types around. If you want blues to actually attack something, then lock on to it and send, otherwise they'll just blink through.

- Magic can seem kind of useless at first but used properly can make a big difference in fights. The most powerful spell is the Halo minion boost, which increases damage output and defense, cast it just after your minions are engaged. The halo area of effect attack is also powerful, but it does not affect most formations, the minion missile spell does. Sacrificing a minion gives you a protective shield if you have to fight yourself. Casting the presence spell (lightning) might not kill enemies, but it will slow them down making them easier for your minions to kill.

- Domination alignment makes you better at magic that involves letting go of the spell button early (subduing people, minion missile and minion boost). Destruction alignment makes you better at magic where you keep the button held down (killing people with lightning, minion sacrifice and the halo area of effect spell).

- Formations are weakest at the back and strongest at the front. Best general technique to kill them is: Reds on a flag nearby, sweep in all browns, then sweep in all greens, then cast the halo minion boost spell before wading in yourself.

- If you keep dying while trying to do something, the chances are you're not supposed to be doing it. See if there's another way round to attack your target, or something in the level that can help (like a ballista, explosives or friendly NPC)

- On the spider elevator, you don't have to press all the buttons at once, you can sweep a spider up to difficult to reach buttons and leave him there on a flag. When you go to do the puzzle properly, those buttons will automatically be pressed letting you skip them out with the spider you're sweeping.

- Wolf mounts have a good chance of knockdown, spider mounts will paralyze enemies they attach to and red mounts are mobile flame throwers. Red mounts are probably the most effective for doing the final section of the game.

- To do the Overlord's finishing move on an opponent, you have to lock onto him while he's knocked down before striking.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 4, 2009

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

McKracken posted:

Persona 4

You really shouldn't be having that much trouble with the first dungeon, and given what you've said I'm not entirely sure why you're having so much difficulty. If you're focusing on weaknesses then most fights should be trivial once you figure them out, just knock them all down and then group attack. The most obvious things:

- You can warp out of the dungeon with a special item (forgotten the name, but you can buy it in the pharmacy), save, and then jump back to the last floor you were on when you re-enter. If you're worried about dying then do this often. You lose money buying the items, but it's much less frustrating than the frequent deaths.

- You can safely waste 2 or 3 afternoons per dungeon, so if you're out of mana then leave and come back and do the rest another day when it's recharged. If you need more time, then try and go on rainy days, since there are only 1 or 2 social links you can boost on those days anyway.

- The things that boost your stats the most are the items you buy from the blacksmith. Armor is *much* more important than weapons, since often you're not using physical attacks to kill things. Assuming you've collected enough random junk from enemies, you should unlock armor that makes all the non-boss fights trivial by the time you've gotten about 80% of the way through it.

- Make sure you can cover the 4 elemental bases (ice, fire, wind and lightning) with your party, preferably have personas that allow your main character to do all of them. Only about 1 in 5 of the enemy types has no vulnerability to any of those types, most of the rest will be vulnerable to light or dark which you haven't unlocked yet. Occasionally enemies will be weak to physical attacks too, which is something I sometimes missed while spamming magic all over the place.

- Make sure you have take direct control over all your team mates. The AI is okay if the fights are easy and you're feeling lazy, but it's nowhere near as smart as you are (hopefully ;))

- Don't be afraid to combine the personas you pick up from enemies to get new ones. You can always get the persona back again from the ledger or from a fight. If you're having difficulty with a particular enemy, there's probably a persona which will help.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 9, 2009

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

McKracken posted:

It seems that only the really easy enemies have weaknesses. By the time I waste 2 or 3 turns figuring out what the weakness is I'm already near dead against some enemies, so I just resort to physical attacks, except that...physical attacks seem near pointless but I'd waste all my SP if I didn't use them.

I guess I shouldn't have left the entire dungeon for the last day. I had no idea it would be like this.

As far as combining goes, just try and combine anything you have to get anything you don't have. You should quickly get a big repertoire of personas that have a lot of different skills.

Physical attacks are pretty rubbish, even when boosted with the special skills. Most of enemies should have weaknesses though, the general idea is that the first fight vs an opponent is tough then the next times are easier, when you know which spells do and don't work. If you're really stuck, then skip ahead past the deadline, I've never done it myself (I'm too l33t) but I believe it should give you the option to skip back a week, so you can get some breathing room.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

McKracken posted:

B) I spent the time doing social link activities because I could swear I read that was the most important thing to doing well in this game.

This is true, but do not expect to 100% all the social skills without a walk through. It's not just about spending a lot of time with people, but also making sure you do things at particular times so you boost your social skills to the right levels and also making sure that plot events give social link boosts when you need them rather than when you don't. I did it blind using only my experience of persona 3 to back me up and save scumming to always choose the best conversation choices and I still ended the game missing about 15 of the social skill levels that are available.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 9, 2009

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

McKracken posted:

Is it a major detriment not to max out all the available social links? I don't feel like playing this game with my face attached to Gamefaqs. I've already got most of the social links I have at the moment at level 3 or so. Is there any major bonus in increasing them all the way to 10?

You unlock the ultimate persona for that arcana. They're not crucial to have, but certainly useful. It's much more important to level S-Links with teammates than non-teammates, since they get extra bonuses like special abilities and at max level, their personas evolve and become more powerful.

Also, you should probably disregard some of my combat advice for what Salt Block Party said. It's been a long time since I did the early dungeons and I did have a lot of SP run outs when spamming magic early on. Identifying weaknesses of new enemies is extremely important though, just knocking down one of your enemies then striking it again to stun it can give you a nice edge in fights that you're not sure of.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Anyone got anything for Valkyria Chronicles? I've just cleared the first proper mission and am having fun, but there's a lot of stuff that confuses me. For example, the guy said that engineers can lay land mines and sand bags, but I have no idea at all how to do this...

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

PrinnySquadron posted:

Are these rings in the area for the Archstone of the Small King?

Yeah, the first area you visit before the other arches unlock.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Omega Hans posted:

Any tips for Icewind Dale 2?

Save frequently, it's one of those games where the right spell in the right place can cause havoc on your enemies. Similarly, their spells can have the same effect on your party.

3rd edition rules are much easier to get your head around than 2nd edition. Every single check, be it a saving throw, attack roll or whatever works the same way. The roll has a Difficulty Check (DC), you roll a D20 and add whatever bonuses you have and if the result is higher or equal to the DC you win.

So an attack roll is:

DC = 10 + Target's armor class + Dexterity Bonus
You roll: D20 + Base Attack Bonus + Strength Bonus (or Dexterity for a ranged weapon) + Extra Bonuses from weapons/buffs

A save versus a spell is:
DC = 10 + spell's level (e.g. 3 for Fireball, 2 for Web) + Caster's int/cha/wis bonus (depending on caster type)
You roll: D20 + Relevent save value (i.e. Will save for mind spells, Reflex for most damage spells, Fortitude for poison/death magic, etc)

Also, fairly early into the game chapter 2, by giving beetle shells to the insane halfling in the airship you can get full plate armor. Because of how the armor system works, there's almost no point in giving a character a dexterity higher than 12 if you want them to wear full plate.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Pain of Mind posted:

Any good tips for Final Fantasy XIII with regards to item upgrading? I just started the 2nd disc (chapter 5 I think) and I have not upgraded a single weapon or accessory. I mainly am not sure which weapon each person will end up using and I don't want to upgrade the wrong one.

It's probably best to find a guide online which shows you how all the different weapons upgrade, and make your choice based on that. You'll find some choices might be no brainers e.g. Vanille gets a weapon that makes her Saboteur attacks more powerful but other times it'll be a straight choice between more physical damage or more magical damage.

The only other thing to remember about leveling items is that generally speaking, the more expensive an item is, the more cost effective it is in terms XP it gives to your equipment, so it's better to buy 2 50,000gil items than 200 500gil items.

As someone else mentioned though, it's probably not worth it until the end game. Often you'll upgrade a weapon, only to pick up an unupgraded weapon that has better stats an hour later.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Handgrip posted:

Anything I should know before I start Mass Effect? Just picked it up on Steam.Are there any character builds that make the game unplayable or far too easy?

One last thing no-one's mentioned, ALWAYS have someone in your party who has Electronics and Decryption (or have it yourself) because you need both of them to unlock crates and things. You'll want to focus on pumping both skills up to Master level as quickly as you can, to avoid having chests you can't unlock. Also, boosting Electronics gives you a big bonus to your shields, which really helps your survivability.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

Thanks. Anybody got info on Ninja Gaiden 2 that might make it less apt to send a controller through my Xbox?

There's a special move you can do to execute an opponent once you've removed one of their limbs, you want to do this as frequently as possible since you're completely invulnerable while doing it. Also, when you kill the turtle, block immediately.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

joooohn posted:

EDIT: Also, now that I've gotten a little further than this point, in Persona 3 what happens if you DO hug Yukari?

Do you mean when you're on the beach? Nothing much, she gets a bit shy but she seems to appreciate it, then Junpei turns up and she gets all embarrassed. AFAIK it doesn't really affect anything else. However if you do it while on a date with her for the social link at level 5 she completely freaks out at you and storms off, making the relationship reverse

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
After reading a bunch of XCOM/UFO LPs I just went and bought UFO: Afterlight from Steam. Does anyone have any advice they can give me? (Apart from the obvious "Cancel the download now and play XCOM:EU instead"). According to the reviews I've read the main problem people run into is balancing expansion and research, so anything in that area would be great.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Thanks for info guys!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

SnipeShow posted:

Just picked up Dragon Age: Origins and Deadspace. Anything I should know in regards to these?

Sorry if these have been covered, it's a big thread.

With Dead Space, it's a good idea to find 1 or 2 guns and stick with them. Apart from in a few places, the game will only drop ammo for the guns you have, so constantly flipping can screw you over. Also, it's better to have a couple of fully upgraded weapons than a load of half upgraded ones. The starting weapon (Plasma Cutter?) is one of the best guns and I also went for the Line Gun for crowd control, but your milage may vary.

With Dragon Age, the City Elf and Dwarf Commoner origins are considered by most people to be the best, with the Dalish Elf one being the worst. Generally mages are the most important factor in a fight, if you see an enemy mage, try and kill him first because he'll probably be the dangerous opponent by far. For your own mages, I find it easier to focus on spells that stop enemies from fighting rather than going for straight up damage. Early on, direct damage is good, but it doesn't scale very well, whereas paralyzing/sleeping/force caging/freezing an enemy is as useful in the end game as it is in the beginning.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

OxMan posted:

If you have multiple choices in a move to make, even if you need mana for a particular spell, you don't really need mana for any spell. Your priority is always not giving the computer a good next move, you'll get the mana by playing normally eventually. With that being said, always try popping gems as close to the top as possible. That way, less falls all the way down, giving the computer less new gems to play with. You'll notice the computer will also do this to you, unless it wants mana for a spell, or wants something to fall in the visible spectrum so it can have it.

All my experience is with Puzzle Quest 2 on X360, and I was using a character that needed piles of mana, so maybe my priorities were different, but I found the opposite to be true. By always clearing lower on the board you increase the chance of making chains and keep bringing more new gems into play, which in turn minimizes the chances of having no moves left on the board, so you don't lose all your mana.
I remember also thinking sometimes the computer was cheating, but eventually I just came to the conclusion that it was just better at the game than me.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mean Bean Machine posted:

What should I know about Dragon Age: Origins (PC)? Just bought it.

I answered this a week or so ago:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=145#post381311532

Another thing that occurred to me is that you shouldn't sell any Garnets you come across in your travels You need a bunch of them for a side quest from the inn keeper in Denerim

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

So a bit earlier I asked for advice on Disgaea 1 on the PS2; I was hoping I could get a few more things clarified.

Is it better to Transmigrate units within their class? Or should I simply create a new character every time I unlock a more powerful unit within the class?

What is the best way to level up non-combatants like Rogues and Clerics? Just constantly have them doing combos with other units? It's so hard to keep them up to speed with the rest.

I always transmigrated within classes, (i.e. fighter to better fighter, etc) but it's completely unnecessary for beating the main game. It's definitely better to transmigrate a new guy over rather than making a fresh guy in the new class though, since they'll be stronger.

For levelling up non-combatants, look for the main story levels that have invincibility pyramids. There's a couple where you can make every square on the map bar one or two grant invincibility, do that and then chuck all of the monsters on top of each other, and then onto one of the non invincibility squares. With all their levels combined, the resulting monster will be like level 90 or something, but it doesn't matter since you're invincible when you stand next to him. Then it's just a case of letting the character you want to level try and get the last hit in. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end sometimes, but the person who kills the mob will go up from lvl 30-40 in one go.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Polite Tim posted:

One of the characters has the ability to take photos of enemies, which is pretty much the only way to make any real money in the game, though I never used him and got on fine with low income regardless so it's up to you.

The photography thing seems to be a feature for people who can't be bothered to farm cash through fighting and looting treasure. You get such a ridiculous amount from selling a few photos that there is literally zero reason to try and save money in the game.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Any tips for Monster Hunter 3? I went back 10 pages searching for previous mentions of it, but i did not see anything.
Most annoying is the continually spawning monsters bothering me while im trying to harvest or loot their friends, also is there a lock on system i have somehow missed? Im having trouble with my character being locked in place during every frame of my swings and hitting small creatures is also really hard.

Id love any game tips as well, but these issues are making the game extremly unfunny for the moment.

There's an option in the menu that changes the direction of rolling to be the direction relative to the camera, rather than relative to the character's facing direction, it's possible it will help you out a lot, especially if you find yourself rolling in weird directions sometimes.

For looting just kill everything and loot afterwards, unless they're pretty far away, they'll never leave you in peace until they're all dead.

As far as I know, there is no real lock on system (unless I've forgotten about it, it's been a while since I played it).

In terms of being locked in place while you attack, that's just the style of the game. I hated it, so I just always used the short sword and shield, where it isn't so much of a problem, with any other weapon it's just something you need to get used to. Generally, the key is to be aware of where you are in relation to the enemies before you start a strike, so you can get off some hits before anything can hit you, then dodge out of the way immediately. Most enemies will telegraph their strikes, so try and learn their patterns so you can figure out what they're going to do next.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Anonononomous posted:

Garnets are needed for a sidequest, though. I think it's garnets, at least.

It is, it's a pretty dumb side quest really since unless you know beforehand, you'll probably have sold all of yours and there won't be enough left in the game by the time you get the quest. Also, certain kinds of gems (I can never remember which) can be given to the Dwarves at your camp for an experience bonus once you complete Orzamar.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

McCoy Pauley posted:

I realize there's probably a tremendous amount I should know, and that I most likely would benefit from reading some part of the thread here specifically about the game, but any very general starting out tips for Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii, particularly for somebody who has never played any games in that series?

- Collect everything you can, and keep it in storage in your house. Almost everything can be used to make something. Early on, the most critical things are Honey, Herbs and Blue Mushrooms, since they can be used to make healing potions.

- You can learn new recipes through trial and error, in combine mode just choose one item and everything that can't be mixed with it will be greyed out. Once you've mixed 2 things to make something, the recipe will be stored in your journal. Often, the things you make can be combined again to make new things.

- Different sets of equipment give different bonuses, but the bonuses don't tend to have any effect until you get them to +/-10 (some are 5). So, if a suit of armour gives a -10 fire vulnerability, using a charm/embedded thing to knock it to -9 will negate its effect. Almost every monster type can be turned into a suit of armor and some kind of weapon, assuming you kill enough of them to get all the bits you need.

- The monsters all have tells which telegraph their attacks, learn them and get used to using the dodge button to get out of the way of them. You may find it useful to go into the options and tell the character to dodge in a direction relative to the camera, rather than the default of relative to the character's facing direction.

- All the weapon types handle very differently, so it's usually a good idea to find one you like and stick to it for most of the time. The bow gun uses different armor to the melee weapons, so if you want to use it, you're better off not wasting too many materials making melee type armor.

- You'll usually get more stuff in the long run by capturing a boss rather than killing it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I just got Mount and Blade: Warband on Steam, anything I should know? I really have no idea about what the game's about, just a few things I saw in the new screen shot LP. Also, are there any mods I should consider getting? There seem to be a lot of nice graphics mods floating around, but I'm not sure which ones are good and which will work with the Steam version.

Also, for characters I like playing as Girls with Swords, any hints so I don't bone my build from the outset?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Jjaarreett posted:

Demon's Souls anyone? I made a knight, stumbled through 1-1, killed the Phalanx without too much trouble, started up 1-2 and well yeah. I couldn't really make it back to my bloodstain after that and ended up leaving. Now I seem to be stuck in "soul form". Any ideas on where to go next or should I just start over fresh?

I'm terrible at Demon Souls, so I can't offer much advice, except that being in Soul Form is pretty normal and really isn't anything to be worried about. Somewhere hidden in 1-1 is an item (a ring I think) that gives you a buff while in Soul Form, so you may want to run back and get it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I've just started playing The Last Remnant and I have a quick question. I'm running off with to go to some conference thing, and I've just gotten the ability to make 3 unions with 9 units. The 4 generals and Dave have joined the party, but I'm wondering if they'll actually stay in it this time? I've gotten enough people to fill all my unions without them, but I don't want to leave them under leveled if they're actually going to be permanent characters instead of disappearing at the next cutscene...

quote:

So, I should focus on school social links first and foremost during school days? Those are, IIRC, the school council and classmates, right?

I've only played vanilla, but pretty much yes. If school is open, you should be seeing school people. There are a couple of other things to bear in mind as well (unless they changed it in FES):

1) If you don't see somebody for a long enough time (6-8 weeks I think), the person will get mad at you and the relationship will go into reversal (which means you'll have to waste a few days apologizing to them to fix the relationship)

2) At some point when seeing a girl, it will say that she'll get upset if you start seeing another girl. I'm not sure of exactly what triggers the reversal though, since I did a full walkthrough assisted run once, just to 100% it, and the walkthrough had me dating multiple girls at one point without them getting mad.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Captain Novolin posted:

I think there's a short period where they do go away again, but it's only for one or two missions. It's worth it to keep them in your party since they're really, really good.

Edit: I want to say you go back to the castle and they go "hey, see ya later" and leave your party, but join immediately after you leave the city again.

Yeah, that bit just happened, hence me getting a bit paranoid. Another quick question, people kept babbling at me to go and get some Goslin Copper or something, so I went and mined some. How do I actually give it to the guys? Also, there seem to be weapons I can make which I can't equip myself. I made one (the Stone Sword), just to see what happens. What should I do with it now? Will one of my team members suddenly go "I'll have that!" like they do with accessories sometimes?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Captain Novolin posted:

You can manually equip weapons on party members, but every now and then they will go "hey I'll grab <x>" for a weapon, and it's always worth it to give it to them.

Ah, okay. I guess that must be something that unlocks later? I just tried it on the "Check Equipment" screen, and I couldn't find a way of actually changing the equipment...

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There are a few ways and they're all kind of annoying:

Ugh, that is a pain, why on earth can't you just give them the stuff you're already carrying? Anyways, thanks for the info.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

In addition to having powerful units who were fairly cheap, they have a readily available and easy ways to get infinite money. I don't remember the specifics but some building cost less to build than to sell. In addition they have a unique power that is based on the number of all dead on the battlefield, which basically just means if your opponent doesn't win early on you've got a giant box of deadly magic juju to unleash on them. There is some glitch where dead that shouldn't count do and as such you build it far faster than intended.

When I said they were broken I meant it. In addition Soul Storm breaks a lot of other things like some buffs, randomly changes units sizes, voices, and pretty much anything else.

I'm pretty sure most of this stuff was patched, I know the infinite cash bug was. They also patched my favourite bug, where the Dark Eldar super unit's special attack would do like 10 times as much damage as it was supposed to :(

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

PRL412 posted:

Just picked up Borderlands GOTY edition and I'm surprised to not find any info in the wiki.

Me and a friend started playing split-screen, and we're at level 18 or so now. I'm the berserker and he's the soldier if that helps.

Watch out for the order you do any of the extra DLC content in. I just did a playthrough where I did the OC, then Zombie Island (which level scales), then the Armory of General Nox (which doesn't). So, when I tried to do the Armory DLC I was level 42 and the enemies were all level 35 and the whole thing was ridiculously easy. I got sick of the whole thing, and I didn't try the Claptrap Robot Revolution DLC, so I don't know if that does scale, but I would guess the best order to tackle the DLC would be:

Armoury Of General Nox
Claptrap's Robot Revolution
Zombie Island of Doctor Ned

There's another DLC which is just arena fights, but it sounded so dull I never even got it.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 25, 2010

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Captain Failcon posted:

I could use some good tips and whatnot for making a good economy in Tropico 3

Here's my general strategy:

1. Build a couple of tenements, no housing makes people upset and you should generally try and make sure you always have enough places for people to live.
2. Use the map to find nearby mining resources, usually you'll have some iron ore nearby. If you can, build two mines. These will be your main money makers for the first couple years. Even one mine will give you a nice lump of cash to play with.
3. After the mines are up and running, try and find a place to make a couple of farms for a cash crop (sugar, coffee and tobacco are the best)
4. Once these are in place, start looking into placing one or two garages to allow your workers to quickly get to the mines/farms
5. Get a clinic and a church, maybe some cheap entertainment like restaurant or bar.
6. Factories are the next step, you should be able to find one which matches your cash crop (i.e. Cigar Factory for Tobacco, Rum for Sugar, Cannery for Coffee). But you need high school workers to man them, you can either try and import them directly, build an immigration office and set it to attract skilled workers, or build a high school. I'd do a mix of the first two, since its faster, but it's up to you really. You'll want a high school and college eventually, but they're expensive so I tend to get them late.

And that's about it really. For more general tips:

- You'll want to occasionally go and look at the factions tab, and check to see if any of the factions are upset at you so you can fix it (The militarists may be upset about the lack of armory, for example). This is much easier to do than looking at individual unhappy people to see why they're upset.
- Don't be afraid to go into the red for the first few years, as long as you're spending money on things that improve your economy, you'll be able to pay it all back later.
- Use your dictator, send him to mine/factories/farms to make them work harder, or to building sites to make them build faster. If there's a protest, you can get your dictator to go and calm the protester down (he's the guy holding a little sign) but don't bother if he's far away, since the protest will probably have ended by the time the guy gets there. Don't have him give a speech from the palace! Since everyone will stop and listen to him and the whole island will stop working for ten minutes.
- As your town hits mid size, you'll need another builder's office and teamster's office, otherwise your economy will grind to a halt.
- Keep raising the wages of your workers as you go, since this generally makes people happier. Try and make sure the wages for vital things (e.g. builders and teamsters) are slightly higher than for less vital things.
- There's an edict which makes everyone learn skills faster (Literacy Program?) try and switch it on early.
- Don't panic if you have a lot of rebels, protests early on, its kind of unavoidable. As long as you have a minor army presence, it's never that big a deal (unless you completely screw up).
- If you grow your industry too fast, you might run out of workers. You can see this is happening by using the tab to show how many unemployed people there are. You can use the immigration office to attract lots of people fast, but don't leave it switched on too long otherwise you'll flood the city with more people that you can handle.
- Don't forget you need farms to feed people. A farm takes a year to start producing, so by the time people start starving it may be too late to fix it. If you're worried, you can build farms that produce an edible cash crop (papaya or pineapple). In an emergency, you can make fishing huts, since they start to produce faster.

You can also try going for a tourism strategy, where you generally want to avoid most types of industry, because they make the place look ugly. One of the early campaign missions has you setting up a tourist industry and makes for a pretty good tutorial on how to do it.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 28, 2010

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

^^ Unreal engine, actually - that's not something inherent to the engine, but a gameplay choice. A lot of the DX1 devs (including the lead designer, Warren Spector) were also involved in the System Shock and Thief games.

Also, seconding the "just play it however you want" people. Pick skills and augs that look fun, or that complement your playing style. For example, first time through I found myself naturally gravitating towards stealth, so I went for lockpicking, electronics, pistols, rifles, melee, invisibility, radar transparency, silent running, spy drone, and infravision. Next time through I took the ultraviolent approach and went for rifles, SMGs, explosives, fast running, aggressive defence...you get the idea.

I tried to play the game a few years back, but could never really get into it. Maybe I should try it again, anything I should know about the Steam version working with XP? Any mods I should get to make the game look pretty or more enjoyable for a first run?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
A few tips for The Last Remnant since I've just wasted the last month or so of my life on it:

- Your battle rank goes up as you kill monsters, and certain enemies and fights will scale up with your rank. I only had trouble with one fight because of it though, so it's not a big deal.
- If you're having trouble with a fight with lots of monsters, try putting Dave in charge of a union. Occasionally he pulls a special move that will literally kill everything on the field. Similarly, a few other leaders get special moves that they only use when in charge of a union.
- A huge number of areas and quests in this game are missable. The only real way to make sure you don't miss something important is to visit every Pub and speak to everyone with a red bubble on their heads before you go to advance the plot. Every time you advance the plot. With a couple of minor exceptions, there's almost never a reason to talk to anyone without a red bubble.
- Characters get better at using arts by using them. Even if the attack is queued and never fires, the character will still get some XP for it. This means you should never just choose straight attack, always get your guys to use arts, regardless of how weak an enemy is. Note that the union leader is far more likely to use arts than anyone else.
- Choose a weapon type for Rush and stick with it, just about everything works, though sword and board or dual wield seem best for an all rounder.
- This game has the most ridiculously overcomplicated crafting system I have ever encountered, you will end up with literally hundreds of different components. Many components will only be dropped after you get a particular magazine as a quest reward for completing a guild task.
- If a character explicitly asks for a component, that means it is somehow possible to get it without advancing the plot. It may not be worth the hassle however of explicitly looking for it though, since occasionally the characters change their minds about the items they want for no apparent reason.
- Look out for rare monsters (they have green names when you select them) early on they may obliterate you, but it's always worth trying to kill them. Many union tasks require you to kill rares and trying to get them to spawn deliberately can be an amazing pain in the rear end.
- Look out for the characters you recruit hanging round in the town you recruited them in. If you find one, then speak to them, go back to the world map and then go speak to them again. Repeat until you feel your sanity beginning to crack. After a while, they'll show red bubbles, and after enough red bubbles you'll get a special stat bonus for them. Sometimes they'll give you a quest first, and you need to speak to them again after doing it to get the bonus. Also, sometimes you'll need to advance the plot to a certain point before you can get their bonus/quest. For a couple of people, doing their quests will unlock their supermoves.
- If you're a completionist, you will need this website:

http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Remnant_Wiki_-_The_Last_Remnant_Guide

You'll also need the patience of a saint and vast amounts of time.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 7, 2010

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Anybody got anything for Muramasa Demon Blade? I just messed around with it for while, and it seems pretty fun. The number of different things I make get seems pretty overwhelming though. Also, as someone who likes a challenge in a game, but doesn't really like very hard games, should I be playing on the Normal or the Hard mode?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
^^^ Nope ^^^

gravyflood posted:

This may be cheating, as I've attempted it a few times before, but any tips for Viva Pinata?

I played this game to death.

You'll constantly get pestered by red pinata, beat them to death with the shovel as soon as you see them and smash any red sweets they drop, since they'll make other pinatas sick. You can get rid of a species of red pinata by creating the right conditions to make it move into your garden, once it's moved in, it'll change to a friendly and you'll never see the nasty aspect of it again. Also, the converted pinatas tend to have useful special abilities, like healing sick pinatas and eating weeds and stuff.

The annoying vandal guys will keep coming back, but you can buy place a special statue that keeps them away. It's called the Commander's Statue, or the Commander's Sword or something. If that's not available yet, then all you can do is beat them with the shovel 'til they run off. In the sequel, some of the bigger pinatas (like the dragon) would chase them away too, but I don't know if that works in the first one.

If you get one pinata to move in, you can ask the hunter to bring you another one whenever you like (even if the original is no longer there, or you're in a different garden). This can save a lot of hassle, especially with some of the more picky pinatas.

Fertilizing plants makes them grow bigger, so they'll sell for more money and produce more/bigger fruit. Different plants need different colored fertilizer, you can tell when you got it right because it will make a sort of ping noise. With small things, like flowers or vegetables, you can apply 3 doses all at once and forget about it. With bigger things, like trees, you can usually apply 3 (sometimes only 2) but only at special times. You can almost always apply one dose once it's first planted, the other times you'll need to find by trial and error (or use the wiki).

The game has a huge number of weird special things hidden in it, you may find them yourself, but you may want to raid the wiki to find them since you'll never see them otherwise. For example, if you breed a snake, and you smash the egg it lays at a particular time (something to do with when it bounces, I can't remember) with your shovel, it'll hatch into a two headed snake. The same trick works with the 2 headed snake egg to get a 4 headed one. Another is one of the insects will mutate into something else if you set it on fire with a lawn ornament, then put it out with your watering can. Plus, my personal favourite, you can get the pig and the swan to mate and create some weird mutant winged pig monster thing.

You'll go nuts constantly trying to change your garden to get all the different creatures (like the swan, who wants huge amounts of water), it's generally much easier to just start a new garden every once in a while rather than constantly keeping the same one. All your upgrades/cash carries through, and you can put pinata in boxes to transfer them between between gardens.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 9, 2011

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

My roommate just got Infinite Undiscovery. I'm sure he'd want to know if there's any missable stuff, as he is a huge achievement whore. Huuuuge. Any gameplay tips (though not how to break the game over the knee) would be appreciated as well.

I didn't get very far in the game because I discovered after a few hours that I hated it, but I do remember that a lot of the achievements were gained from doing plot related things very well (e.g. Do this escort thing without the caravan taking any damage). If he really cares about achievements he may want to check them all up online, I remember I missed 2 or 3 achievements without even realizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Centipeed posted:

I just got the "Rich" achievement, so the first two questions interest me as well.

Although I looked up Spectre gear and it's apparently only weapons.

Any information on the best gear other than Spectre gear (Armor, biotics etc.) would be appreciated.

Edit: Of course this was answered while I was replying.

If you have the Bring Down The Sky DLC and complete it, you can spend vast amounts of cash on weapons that are even more powerful than the Spectre ones, though it's kind of a crap shoot since I don't think it tells you what you're buying until you get it.