Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

apekillape, I wrote a little note in the discussion page of the front page of your Wiki. I figured you'd get emailed when I posted it, but perhaps not? It's on there, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Holy Cow posted:

Any tips for Tales of Symphonia?

Play the game once through for the story, or to get a general feel, and then farm GRADE until you can afford the EXP x 10 New Game+ feature, and then play it through again with a guide and do all of the extra stuff.

Then again, my first play through was 70 hours or so, so I can't imagine that many people would want to play it a second time straight afterwards.

Getting the most powerful weapons is fun, but you'll have to look at a guide to find out what they are/where you can get them, and learning all of the most powerful spells/attacks is fun, but again you need a guide. 10x EXP just makes all of that stuff much easier.

Edit: Whilst I'm here, is there anything I can do (Already part way in) to give myself a big advantage in Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria? I'm already over levelled (And I don't mind the negative impact that has on learning skills). I'm just wondering if there's anything else I can do that'll give me a boost.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 13, 2009

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Have some tips already been posted for Final Fantasy 6? I'm thinking about playing through with an aim to breaking the game. Making it too easy for myself.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Thanks so much for all of that, guys.

How much of this applies to the start of the game? A lot of it seems to be late game stuff.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

This is likely a long shot, but does anyone have any tips for Battle For Wesnoth?

I've just started the main campaign and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help me win easier.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Funkyboss posted:

Thanks to the God of War collection, I'm finally getting to play these games for the first time. I'm starting with the first one, and while it's a pretty straightforward beat-em-up, what's the best way to upgrade? Should I focus on the blades, since I use them the most? Or should I just upgrade whatever I can as soon as I can? Or is there some magic ability that completely destroys everything at a certain level? Any other tips?

Poseidon's Rage is the first ability you get, and also extremely powerful. If you want to gently caress poo poo up, upgrade that. Upgrading your blades is also important, of course, since you don't want to be just chipping away at later enemies.

I don't think there's any upgrade path that will severely gently caress you over, however, so just do what you feel like.

For your second play-through, if you get to it, you can have a lot of fun by getting infinite magic, using this glitch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOHvvp6Xshg

It'll take you a few tries to get the jumps right, but I did it pretty quickly so it's not too hard.

Part way through the game there's a large hall, with two holes in the walls, on opposites sides. Unlimited harpies come out of these holes until you stop them. If you have infinite magic, you can get as many red orbs as you want here by standing in a corner and holding down Medusa's Gaze.

The harpies stop giving out red orbs from attacks pretty quickly, but if they're petrified and then fall to the ground, you get three orbs each time one dies, and they keep on coming as long as you need them to.

I can't remember how long I stood there (It was a while), but I upgraded everything I had and got enough to upgrade everything I would get later in the game, I believe.

Note that I have NO clue whether or not these things work in the God of War collection (That's the HD version on the PS3, right?).

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Even though Ape was pretty awesome for hosting a Wiki, he hasn't been around and his site is down entirely, so I decided to put up my own just in case it never resurfaces:

http://www.centipeed.com/wsik

I went for something simpler. There's a search box and a list of games (Not alphabetized, but in the order I find them in the thread.) available from the left menu.

But HOLY gently caress, is this a time sink.

So, if anyone wants to donate some time to me, you can each take a page of the thread and I'll give you the password to the Wiki's editing features.

I've just done all of Page 1, which took about half an hour, to give you an indication.

It needs to be co-ordinated so that no-one does overlapping work, however, so if you'd like to email me, the address is centipeed AT gmail DOT com.

I'll assign you a page number in the thread, and give you a little guide on how to create the pages. It's pretty simple.

Any takers?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you still need help come Sunday night I've got a few days off and could devote some time to the effort.

For sure. Thank you.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Well, darn. Your Wiki has died.

That's why I set up a new one in his stead.

http://www.centipeed.com/wsik

Only a couple of pages from the thread have been uploaded though, with the help of One Year Later.

I need more help.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Jolo posted:

I've heard several times that the game is almost unplayable on the pc unless you turn on/off a certain option. Hardware cursor possibly, I'm sure someone else can chime in.

I believe it's vertical sync?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Brimruk posted:

I can help! Just PM me or something and give me the details, I'm on break and not doing anything. :)

I haven't got a platinum account, but you can email me at centipeed at gmail dot com and I'll give you all the details!

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Agent Nick posted:

That wiki of yours, Centipede, is getting poo poo all over by someone who is obsessed with seeming "cool" and "edgy" by continually making references to Lu Bu. We get it, whoever you are, you're totally "in the know" about video games culture and contemporary catch phrases. It doesn't take a trip to urbandictionary.com to tell that you're a complete oval office.

Those tips all came from different people, actually, in the first couple of pages. Seems to have been a running joke at the beginning of the thread. So it wasn't one person, but rather multiple people, and it was easier to leave it all in that edit it out.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Just wanted to let you all know that Brimruk is doing a fantastic job in contributing to the Wiki. He was up to page 20 last time I checked, so if you're going to ask about a popular game, check there first, since it might already be up!

http://wsik.centipeed.com

ahobday fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 2, 2010

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I was just checking the visitor stats for my site, and they had jumped quite a large amount. At first I was confused, but then I realised that since the Wiki is in a subdirectory, and not its own subdomain, the stats for WSIK get mixed in with the stats for my main site.

I'll try giving it a subdomain now and see if that fucks anything up.

Edit: The subdomain works fine. As does the old address. But for the sake of my statistics being accurate, if you could point your web browsers at wsik.centipeed.com, in the future, that would be fantastic!

ahobday fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 31, 2009

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hey Centipeed i don't work three days in a row so I'll try to get back to the site when I've got some time to kill. It should be a lot easier to add stuff as more and more game specific pages have been made, maybe I'll alphabetize the list for easier browsing or something.

The list has already been alphabetized, my friend!

Also, before you do any more pages I'd have to ask Brimruk to skip some so that you can do them, since he's still going strong as far as I know, and I'd hate for you guys to do the same work as each other!

CloseFriend posted:

When I was considering making this into a full-fledged website like the original JumptheShark.com, I thought about categorizing each bullet point, e.g. icons for things that could render the game unwinnable, missable items/quests/characters, recommendations to make the game easier, explanations of how the game works (like for God Hand or Unlimited Saga), and so on. That may be something to consider adding to the Wiki.

Hopefully I haven't hosed myself by choosing NOT to use MediaWiki for the website, since I'm not sure if there'd be an easy way to implement this (Graphically) on the software I'm using currently.

Edit: I spoke too soon. It turns out pmWiki has a pretty decent support for addons.

I've enabled Smileys, and added custom smileys, which can be seen in action on the Help page:

http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/Help

I've also added these to the editing screen, so that when you're adding tips for a game you can just click the smiley icon and it'll be inserted into the text.

I took your four categories, CloseFriend, so thank you for the suggestion. If there are any more you can think of, let me know and I'll include them.

Hopefully the icons I threw together aren't too garish.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 31, 2009

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I had some questions about a tip from the Final Fantasy 9 wiki page. (http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/FinalFantasy9)

quote:

- The ATE thing is determined by following a fixed path you are currently heading. You can head back to the other path when you are done.

Can someone clarify what "heading back to the other path" entails? Sometimes I'll get two options for an active time event, and then once it's over I won't get the option to see the other scene, and I don't want to miss any.

Also, does anyone have any more tips which aren't on the wiki page? I just started playing FF9 (Never played it before), and I'd like to avoid any surprises.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

A shrubbery! posted:

Can anybody add to the wiki? I'm trying to add a new game to the list and it wants a password.

The are two reasons for this:

1. Cuts down vandalism (Although to be honest that isn't likely. I just want to be careful).

2. Cuts down on people adding stuff only from the latest pages. Right now the thread is being added from the beginning onwards, and if people start adding tips from the latest page, for example, then it can confuse what needs to be added next.

So, if you want to add tips to the wiki (Page 30 was the last page added, so you'd have to do from page 31 onwards if you want to contribute.) then I can email you the password.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 2, 2010

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Sworder posted:

For what it's worth, you have listings for both "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" and just "Symphony of the Night." Those two should probably be merged.

I've merged them. Thanks for the heads up! If you or anyone else notices any more errors like that, just post it in the thread, and I'll be much obliged.

A shrubbery! posted:

Thanks, I wouldn't mind doing some of this. email is futurist2017 at live.co.uk

I've emailed Brimruk to ask him if he could skip a few pages, since as far as I know he's still going strong. I'll email you as soon as he's gotten back to me.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Hey bros. I installed the STALKER complete mod as you guys recommended and so far I really like the game. It's pretty drat hard but it's a refreshing challenge. However I don't know if I'm "playing it right".
  • So far I just took some missions from some guys at the base camp and went around collecting magic rocks and assassinating mutant dogs
  • I actually got to that one point where I help other STALKERS fend off an attack by some Russian military dudes. The Stalker leader then showed me some kind of underground sewer tunnel place that I think I was supposed to go but I can't find it anymore since I wandered around so much
  • Is there a fast-travel mode or a car in this game or do I have to keep running back and fourth from place to place on foot?
  • I think I died because I didn't have a midnight snack before sleeping.
Any nudging into the right direction would be appreciated.

It probably doesn't answer any of these questions directly, but I just wanted to point out that the wiki page is pretty full of advice, in a more general sense.

http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/STALKERShadowOfChernobyl

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

zombieman posted:

Any hints and tips for The Witcher?

(From the wiki)

quote:

- Get the intelligence talent that lets you gather herbs first, then you can shift click every plant you pass when moving about to grab potion ingredients instantly.

- Prioritize strength and stamina talents above all others, intelligence too if you use signs a lot.

- From there the simplest way to go is to just upgrade sword styles, try to have a few points in fast silver before the end of chapter 1 even though you don't have a silver sword yet, trust me on this. If you want to be more sign heavy Aard and Igni are great, but the others shouldn't be ignored.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

ConradPoohs posted:

Any tips for Vagrant Story? Specifically, I feel a little overwhelmed by all the stuff concerning weapons. Mine came without a manual, so there's classes and affinities and types and all these numbers oh god. :gonk:

Any other tips would be appreciated as well. Assume I know nothing, because I do.

http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/VagrantStory

I'm starting to assume that people don't check the wiki before they ask for tips. I can't blame them, I guess, since there's not much we can do for its exposure, except what I'm doing right now of course.

CloseFriend: Would you mind changing the link in the OP to wsik.centipeed.com instead of what it is right now? If you link to the subdomain rather than the subfolder, it doesn't mess up my visitor stats as much.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 6, 2010

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Agent Nick posted:

If people stop asking questions here, then how are you going to get additional good starting advice for your wiki? And besides, do you want your wiki to kill this topic? Some of us like posting here on the forums, instead of just sifting through your wiki without any interaction with other people at all.

I was going to ask for starting advice for Metal Gear Solid 3, because I've started one of those backlog things and it's pretty much the first game on my list, but I haven't played it in years and I'm absolutely dreadful compared to how good I used to be. Also, the wiki gives advice for MGS4 in the MGS3 area, so I guess this really is the best place to ask for the help.

You make some good points. All I'm really suggesting is that people look at the Wiki first, since it might answer some of their questions before they make a post. Obviously the information there isn't exhaustive, but it's designed to collect past information so that repetitions aren't necessary in the thread.

Are you saying that the tip on the Metal Gear Solid 3 page of the wiki is actually a tip for Metal Gear Solid 4? I don't play the games, so I wouldn't have caught that. If it is, I'll move it, and thank you for the heads up.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Agent Nick posted:

I'm just interested in making sure the thread doesn't die because of it, because inevitably if the thread dies your wiki dies. And I need the wiki if I'm going to finish all these games I want to replay.

I'm absolutely with you on this one.

And I moved the MGS3 tip to the MGS4 page, and got rid of the MGS3 page. Thanks again for the heads up. If you notice any more errors, let me know.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

joats posted:

I am just going to throw this out there since I can't edit the wiki and hopefully someone can (I couldn't find any info on the wiki about the password).

Hey! Thanks for pointing this out. I rewrote the help page a while back, and accidentally got rid of the part about the password.

It's up there now, on the help page, but basically you have to email me to get the password. We need to add the tips in this thread from the beginning forwards, and it's been added up to page 33, so far. We don't want to miss anything here, and we want to avoid duplicating anything.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Agent Nick posted:

Hey Centipeed, I would like to go through and edit the wiki to fix little spelling mistakes and stuff like that, as well as to help rearrange the tips and tricks so that they're in a better order (some pages have tips for the end of games at the top, and then tricks for starting the game off at the bottom). Email is theagentnick at gmail dot com, so if you could email me the password that would be great and then you wouldn't have to do any more work than absolutely necessary...

Awesome! I've emailed you.

Whenever tips get added to the wiki, they're just copied and pasted, so we never check for mistakes or arrangement. This will definitely help!

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Phoenix Downs will always revive characters with 1 HP if used in the menu (random single digit HP if in battle).

This isn't true. The single digit HP revive is the same in the menu and during battle. I was trying to get the blue mage to 1hp through the menu, and I had to reset several times before it revived for 1hp.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Polite Tim posted:

Any reason we're not revealing what 'It' is?

I believe the poster used "It" because it's hard to tell whether the Blue Mage is a he or a she.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I beat it for the first time this weekend. It took me around 9 hours, but I had watched someone else play it before and I had played Episode 1 already, so I wasn't completely new. It's a pretty accessible game, although there were some confusing sections in the city and one of the larger battles was bullshit.

There isn't a whole lot of advice to give, most of everything is easy to figure out. As far as personal enjoyment, use every weapon you have. There are always ammo caches for difficult parts or segments where you need a weapon (rockets lying around when you shoot down helicopters), so if you hoard your supplies you're just depriving yourself of fun.

For the zombie level (We Don't Go To Ravenholm), keep moving, many of the zombies respawn. The crowbar is good for manhacks. The gravity gun isn't a massive part of combat, you can still shoot things for 90% of the game.

This reminds me: Ammo can get tight during Ravenholm, and there's a reason you go through that area right after getting the gravity gun. There are lots of sharp objects (Circular saw blades, for example) lying around in Ravenholm for you to pick up with the gravity gun and fire for decapitations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

All this advice is just what I remember from earlier in this thread:

You are fully healed after each battle, so the idea is merely to survive.

Don't overgeneralize with the main character. Pick a few skillsets and stick with them. Side missions grant you additional abilities, so don't be upset that you can't do everything at the start.

Lower Battle Rank means easier battles. Battle Rank is increased by fighting battles. Don't fight everything you see.

If you capture an enemy, chop it up into parts unless you already have plenty of whatever it will break up into. The parts are necessary for weapon upgrades.

When you get Mr. Digger, don't be afraid to use him. Using him to dig levels up his digging abilities, resulting in more and better items obtained. When in a new dungeon, though, save a couple of digs in case any oddly-colored dig points show up; those usually have some nice items (and may increase the maximum number of digs).

After a certain point -- the Nest of Eagles, iirc -- whatever side missions left incomplete will become unavailable. You should be sure to do them by this point. In fact, you may want to look at a guide, because I think there is another point-of-no-return that I don't recall.

Also, the system by which you get upgrades/new moves/new skills etc is completely esoteric, and even after reading some stuff online, I don't know how it works completely.

It's part of the reason I got turned off the game, and prefer games with clearly defined experience/weapon systems, such as Rogue Galaxy/Dark Cloud 2.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Panic Restaurant posted:

Finally managed to track down a copy of Ico. Anything in particular I should know before I jump into it?

Nate RFB is right. There isn't much you need to know. If you like hidden stuff, though, there's a weapon you'll likely miss unless you look up its location. It's not at all necessary, though.

Edit: Also the save screen music is kickin' rad.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Orvin posted:

I figure here is a good a place as any to ask this question.

Is there a big difference between Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES?

Is the extra content in FES a must have, or will just playing Persona 3 be enough if I only plan on playing through 1 time.

I've always heard that it's worth it to buy FES.

But just in case you need more detail, this review seems to cover it:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/persona3fes/index2.html

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

Just picked up God of War and God of War 2. Anything special I should know? I played Chains of olympus, and so far I'm getting by pretty well.

Poseidon's Rage (The first spell you get) is super powerful, so upgrading it is a good idea for getting out of those tight spots against more than one powerful enemy.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Jolo posted:

Whoever can maintain that page might want to change a few things. Chronicles is misspelled at the top, but more importantly there are Valkyrie Profile tips in the middle of the page about endings.

Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

C-Euro posted:

EDIT: Is there any chance of the wiki being updated sometime? I was looking for Assassin's Creed II tips for a friend and didn't see them on the site, though I knew they had been posted :)

SiKboy posted:

Cant speak to the wiki, although I know they were starting at page 1 and moving onwards, dont know how far they ever got

It's still all operational and ready to go, as it were, but it sort of relies on contributions by helpful people with little else to do, and those tend to be few and far between.

I'm almost certain we got up to page 50 or 51.

So if any of you want to help update it, I'll be happy to send you an email with all of the details :D

It's just mildly tedious, so it doesn't attract a lot of productivity.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just thought I'd mention that bbcisdabomb has been plugging away at the Wiki like some kind of awesome plugging machine.

More than half of the thread has been added, now.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just bought Freespace 2 from GOG.com.

I'm a few missions in, but if there's anything really useful I'm missing out on (Still haven't figured out everything), I'd be happy to hear it.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've just reached a mission in Freespace 2 where you're going undercover as one of the bad guys, and you have to protect a large ship from bombers, and then asteroids that are on a collision course.

The ship keeps getting destroyed. Does anyone remember this mission, and the easiest way to beat it? I'd rather not repeat it until I get lucky.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

So on the wiki for Arcanum: Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura it says that Mages should get the spell Pain, but I don't see it on the spell list (at char gen anyway). Did someone mean Harm instead?

I edited it to read "Harm" instead of "Pain". Thanks for the heads up.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I played through a hefty portion of Super Mario Galaxy without learning all of the different jumps you can perform. It's been a while, so I've forgotten them, but there are some standing tall jumps etc. that are very useful, and that you wouldn't know existed, because the game never tells you.

Look them up somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

synthy posted:

I've checked the last 5 pages and couldn't find anything on it so sorry if this is a repeat. I just got FF9 on psn, any tips I should know about or is it straightforward final fantasy?

http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/FinalFantasy9

Have you seen these tips?