Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

al-azad posted:

About to play Mass Effect. Tried it for 30 minutes before but now I have serious time to sit down and finish it. Thinking about playing that engineer/psion mix class because playing straight up warrior characters in RPGs is super boring to me.

Tips?

This has actually been covered rather thoroughly. To spare you the time digging through the thread, here's a link to the Mass Effect page on 'What Should I Know?'.

The Wiki doesn't get enough love. Whoever made the Wiki, you don't get enough love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Xander77 posted:

There's really nothing particularly useful to be gained from Paazak or Swoop racing (two mini games). Only play them (mostly the second one) if they entertain you.

The final boss is a bitch if you don't have maxed out destroy bot / drain life, but destroy bot is a pretty great utility spell anyway, so it's all good.

Lightning isn't half as good if you go light side, so you might substitute force push for that.

I'll agree that saving all your levels to trade them for Jedi will make the early game more difficult than necessary, but you'll probably gain a level or two one the quest to leave the starting planet, and those you might as well save for an hour or two.

Swoop gives you a lot of money and a small but useful bit of plot if you get through it all. I don't remember Pazaak accomplishing a lot.

Take new levels until you can beat the last guy (You'll know which one this is, trust me.) in the arena on the first planet. After that you're good enough to make it to Jedi. And feel free to level up your team on time, and to switch off their autoleveling if you know what you're doing with Star Wars D20.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

SinetheGuy posted:

Planescape: Torment

First off, as someone who never really got into isometric/Infinity Engine-style RPGs, I'm totally floored. Took me long enough to discover this one.

Second, I never really played 2e DnD, although I played 3e for a while in middle and high school, so some things that are peculiar to 2e (THAC0, namely) are always a little beyond me. But I know the basic ideas well enough.

My main question is about levelling. I don't get how the levelling/class system works. I get the impression that the game is more open to multiclassing than most, although I might be wrong on that. I didn't realize that I'd start as a fighter, so I gave myself more of a CHA/INT/WIS oriented attribute build. I'm not getting assraped or anything, but when can I take on another class? Trainers?

I guess any other non-spoiler advice would be cool, too.

1) Particular people to do it the first time - party members can do it for you afterward. Trainers just let you spend proficiency points. And technically you don't get to multiclass - you're simply able to switch classes wholesale, and experience doesn't carry.
2) You built yourself right. And don't worry so much about yourself dying - only party member deaths are a concern.
3) Combat is kinda crap unless you're a mage (and then it's only a little crap), but that's not what this game is for. Good thing you loaded INT.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Bellmaker posted:

Anyone have advice for the original Shin Megami Tensei? I know there is a megathread but I don't want to stumble across spoilers and stuff about the other games in the series by accident...

Demons don't level up, and you can't fuse anything higher level than you.

Also alignment matters. You can't even SUMMON things that aren't aligned with you.

You can't buy guns at the shop in the very first ward with the translation patch on, and if you don't get them there you may not be able to later in the game. If you take it off, you can buy them the first time, then you can put it back on and you're set.

Swords are better, though.

And just walking around and fighting will chaosify your alignment-o-meter over time, even after the point where your alignment is supposedly fixed. Yeah, the translation patch had some bad bugs left in it; I don't think they could have fit in anything cleaner, though. Protip: If you're going for the neutral ending, take down the Chaos side first or the game could become unwinnable. (Trust me; you'll know when.) There's also Law and Chaos endings, which are pretty straightforward (and you'll be able to figure those out when you get to them).

Status effects work a lot more reliably than in other RPGs. And you'll probably need to use them, and figure out counters to them.

Marin Karin and Magic Bullets can charm your enemies. Combined with the information above... it's not quite a 'SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI IS OVER' button, but it pretty much wraps up everything in the game except for boss fights.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 3, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I'm finally getting around to playing Makai Kingdom, and maybe Phantom Brave after that. I'm assuming standard NIS rules are in force (put heal on someone who can fight well and take hits, and have them do everything except for the guys that throw him, and you have a Win Button; the campaign is just the beginning; several other common things), but is there anything peculiar to these titles that I'd be best off knowing sooner rather than later?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

PJStelford posted:

So, picked up Alpha Protocol. Is running as 'Rookie' my first time to unlock Veteran for my second playthrough a terrible idea? Also any other advice? I played through the first 'zone' using stealth/pistol (chain shot is crazy) but am considering doing Rookie now.

you fool

Recruits can pick up 10 points for using every recruit option available, but that still leaves a 21-point gap from base classes, which will lead to frustration times.

Recommend you pick a base class to start with - you can change everything after Saudi, and the game's short enough (and different enough each time) that you can always use your knowledge on Recruit later.

Good eye for picking the two best talent lines, by the way.

Also: Alpha Protocol's Veteran is goddamn broken. You may in fact WANT Hard Mode on that run.

v v v Ayup. 120 points to spend any way you choose. Have fun.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 30, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

elf help book posted:

It is two, but the way game lays things out it seems like one for most people.

Activating Legion counts as one even though it's not much of a mission. If you don't bother to do that for some reason, you could do two actual full missions.

Quite the opposite.

Only activating Legion will buy you a second mission. And if you're not a douchebag, you'll spend it on Legion's loyalty.

If it hasn't been brought up, you should save Tali's loyalty for after this at least once, and then bring Legion along - it's hilarious.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Brian Fellows posted:

I managed to savescrew myself in Final Fantasy VI.

That's kind of impressive, actually.

Can she runic with whatever Locke's packing?

EDIT: If it makes you feel any better, yeah I was like 13, but I managed to be caught on a save with two characters in double digits with no healing items and an encounter with monsters that could one-hit either of them in that state queued up for two steps away. And I was way farther in the game.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 9, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

mcvey posted:

So anyone have anything for Suikoden 2? Characters that I have to get, items I have to get, etc? I just got finished infiltrating/spying on the Highland camp with Jowy and the main character.

Suikoden II (in fact, the series in general) is the reason humanity irrationally hates the number 108. For the people who played it, this hate is rational.

Get a guide, at least for the stars.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ape canyon posted:

So I just got La Pucelle Tactics. Was this a bad choice?

Maybe. The NTSC version has no New Game +.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

So I have a 3ds and was thinking of getting Shin Megami Tensei that's out or coming out, but I've never played any of the other gam in the series before. Are the plot lines for these games heavily serialized, or can I jump right in without needing to read Wikipedia entries on the other games in the series to know what the gently caress?

It helps a bit, but you won't really lose anything from the plot or the enjoyment if this is your first Megaten title.

But seriously? GET THEM ALL :unsmigghh:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

FuriousGeorge posted:

I'm about to start playing Valkyria Chronicles. Anything of critical importance I should know going in?

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Valkyria_Chronicles_1 (WARNING: Will snap the story mode over your knee. Hard mode, on the other hand....)

quote:

I've heard the game is like Fire Emblem where characters can die permanently so if a story character dies are they, like, out of the story?

Yeah, but only if you can't get to them before the opponent or by the third turn after (whichever comes first). There's a medal for not losing anyone in this fashion. (VC was before trophies and was never updated for them.)

quote:

Also, how is the English voice acting?

Hit and miss, but the hits are worth the misses.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Agnostalgia posted:

Alright, here's a tough one. I'm getting ready to start Shin Megami Tensei I & II for the SNES with the Aeon Genesis patch. I've played most of the newer SMT games, so I'm not going in to the series blind, but anyone have tips for these in particular?

Your demons don't level up. This takes away any pretense of hanging onto them until you get some desirable spell on them. However, there's no compendium in 1 or 2, so you'll have to remember how you got them, and there's still no excuse for leaving holes in your lineup, even if you really want more powerful demons.

Also there's limits on what demons you can acquire based on your alignment. Law PCs can't get Chaos demons, and the reverse is true for Chaos. Anyone can get neutral demons and neutral PCs can get any demons. (This is more restrictive than the limits in Strange Journey; on the other hand the fusion system is a lot more complex, especially in 2, so don't consider it an absolute dealbreaker.)

New Moon isn't a thing to worry about, except for spell durations. Full Moon can still screw with summons and negotiation. I don't remember if it's possible to negotiate under ANY circumstances with demons during the full moon (like if you're cursed or something).

More for other players, since you probably know this already, but: Unlike most RPGs, status effects and buff/nerf spells are devastatingly effective - for both you AND them.

Same goes for instant death spells. You should try to be strong to holy and curse attributes, and you should never allow yourself to be weak to them unless you know you'll have a chance to switch back before the next time they show up. (So pretty much never be weak after ... well, you'll know when.)

And charm spells. In fact, there's a point where you can buy bullets for guns that charm people. And then use them on a multi- or everyone-target gun. And there aren't a lot of charm-resistant demons or bosses, although there are some that are resistant or even immune to gunfire - but the strategy works as well with spells and swords. So despite all the caveats, this is commonly referred to as "Shin Megami Tensei is Over".

On that note, the patch for 1 is glitched such that you never get the chance to buy guns. You may have to take your save to the unpatched game for a moment before leaving the starting town and unlock the gunantique shop there.

The patch for 1 is ALSO glitched in that your alignment slowly creeps toward the chaotic over time (at a rate of 1/65535 of the bar per step) regardless of what you do. Even after your alignment is supposedly set in stone extremely late in the game - trust me, you'll know when. This can effectively break a run at a neutral ending, since it needs to be between 7000h and 8FFFh to count as neutral, and the plot triggers check at trigger time, not on what you had when alignments were fixed. Needless to say, you want to be just the neutral side of law (7000h) if you're going for it.

Yeah, don't expect a fix for the SMT1 patch.

You can tell what your alignment is by looking at your icon on the world map - clockwise is law, CCW is chaos, bobbling is neutral. If you're going for the neutral ending, I doubt anyone would question your victory if the only thing you cheated up was a more precise alignment meter.

There's less inventory space. Fewer items and fewer multiples of each. Keep it in mind.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 17, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

SSNeoman posted:

Crew Tips:
-Be absolutely loving sure to put someone into livability. Otherwise your tiredness gauge will skyrocket as you travel, forcing you to keep docking at ports. If you don't, your action gauge in battles will increase at a snail's pace and I don't have to tell you that that's A BAD THING.

Security staff also boost livability. And keep in mind that only the stat listed under the position affects it.

quote:

-Put Kira as your co-pilot since she has medic. Use it with option 2.

True for any character with a C (Command) ability. Also you only need this if you're taking unreasonable amounts of damage. This will be less necessary as the game moves on.

quote:

-at levels 20, 40, 60 and 80 your guy's abilities increase by 1 level (Yuri's Final Roar will increase from lvl 1 to lvl 2 and so forth)

The only exception is Yuri's fleet commander skill, which says how many ships you can field, and increases as the plot dictates.

quote:

-In chapter 4, Minas will join your crew. Travel to a port and keep talking to Help (like talk to him and quit. Talk and quit....etc.). Eventually he'll explode (no really) and Minas will repair him as a robot girl who will join your crew (her name is HELP and the original Help will be back to his post for some...reason...). Now despite her awesome combat stats and her space warrior ability, She should go into an operator post due to her insane Cool and Calm ability. Just watch your battle gauge after this. Its charge speed will be loving ridiculous.

You can actually do this in one shot. It just counts that you've ever viewed 30 separate help topics when you leave the help menu.

Feel free to move her to the second Combat post if melee sections are coming up (and if you're raiding something on the ground, they are), or you need livability (reduces fatigue rate) more than gauge speed.

quote:

-Aim at the ship on the front lines at all times. Don't aim for any other unless you have the Formation Foe ability active. Otherwise you will never hit (the one on the front lines has [<]<< this sort of icon.

The plot will kick your rear end if you do this all the time. If there's a unique name, or if the plot dictates, you may have to go around a flagship on the front row. This is, in fact, the only way to get a few characters - ones that you will want. The middle row is easier to hit than the back, but yeah, this is another reason you'll want fighters.

quote:

-If the outline on your enemy's ship icon goes from red to yellow, that means they are in dodge status. Don't barrage, use your normal attack.

Or yellow to green.

quote:

-Try to have all the battle parts on your ships be top notch, top notch radar, engine, fire room and so forth...
-...but make sure to also put a cargo hold, science bay and all that other good stuff.

Except not.

You'll need to make tradeoffs. Armor is fairly useful throughout the game, and so is AS, but mobility is generally more valuable point-for-point than either, and you can push it higher than almost any other stat. It only comes on two module types, though... but armor only comes on one. Shield generators just boost defenses vs lasers, and your enemies will by and large abandon these when you do.

Also getting your crew leveled up, trained up, and allocated according to their highest stats can more than make up for ship and module shortfalls.

If you're using all your guns and getting in either really close or really far radar isn't going to help that much. Especially near the end where you can actually have ships with a native 16~20000 radar range.

Only three ships have room for 90 modules, and one of them is a branch exclusive and another is ridiculously expensive. The next nearest are within a couple of 80 and have the same distribution problems. Stuff like medical and security things stack across the fleet. I don't know if +EXP stuff does; you may get away with just one of each through your entire fleet.

Also holds are only necessary for making money - you can never lose money from travel, and hold sizes scale with length, so the Junkyard may not be the best ship for hauling cargo anyway.

quote:

-The junkyard is the ship with the most space in the game. Buy one or two, they help a lot and they look pretty cool.
-Having the Absoluta as your main ship isn't a bad idea. Its passive effects increase your aim and your dodge quite a bit. PROIP: Go Zenito in the storyline to get this ship.

In fact, anything that isn't carrier or Absoluta should be a Junkyard, probably until the endgame. Also how much a hangar can hold also scales with length, so better carriers WILL present themselves during the game.

Also is there any solid evidence that you can't use Automatic ship abilities unless they're a flagship, or is that just something people say because it's what they always heard? It certainly applies to command abilities, but it seems kind of senseless that all automatic abilities except the fighter launching boosting one would be subject. I would have something to say here, but last time I tried I'm pretty sure I spoiled the results with my navigation crew's huge throbbing stats.

Double also: Don't think that just because the Absoluta is "Infinite Space is Over" that you need it. After all, there's two other places you can go instead of Zenito, and they wouldn't have been put in if they were game-overs.

ADDITIONAL TIPS:
There's another crew member that lets you dodge like mad, just in case you don't want to go to Zenito. You'll need to side with Nova Nacio (you'll know when) and have 5000 fame.

Don't put people into section chief positions until that's all that's left - Yuri can silently step in for at least some of those, and there are three command abilities only Yuri or a security chief can use - and the chief's command ability overrides Yuri's, even if it's nothing.

Keep an eye on how much damage you deal. Armor reduces the base damage on multi-shot weapons, not the multiplied or distributed damage, and non-targeted ships only get hit for half what the target does. You may have to go to single-shot or single-ship weapons just to do damage. EXCEPTIONS: Criticals ignore armor, but of the two ways to guarantee these, one of them (Final Roar) is vulnerable to Dodge, and the other (Inciter) is a command ability and doesn't show up until late in the game. ... You know what just use fighters.

Automatic crew abilities raise the section's stats by 5 each per level of the ability. They are suggestive, not conclusive. (Angel Voice works in any position and raises gauge speed by 5 per.)

Fleet ALSO raises gauge speed. Livability prevents it from decaying, but that's still important. Expect to have to make tradeoffs here too.

There is never a good reason NOT to get fame.

If you want to have everyone and everything, you'll need a guide. Full stop. Also it will STILL take six playthroughs, plus Extra Mode, plus thanks to horrible horrible bugs some crew members get locked out of Extra Mode when they get locked out in Story Mode and there's one ship that doesn't ever appear in Extra Mode even though it should.

Yeah you probably shouldn't try to get everyone and everything. You'll still want some neat things that can only be gotten with a guide, though, but this can be saved for New Game +. (You start a New Game + by loading a clearfile. You only carry over crew stats and money, as opposed to Extra Mode, which carries over crew/ship/fighter/module unlocks, but not levels or money - and doesn't carry back into Story Mode.)

Some of the best stuff isn't available until New Game + or Extra Mode.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 25, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

SSNeoman posted:

Radar also increases your accuracy in battle. So it does pay to put them in. Shields are still good even to the end of the game, the enemies still use lasers as does the final boss.

Ehhhh....the junkyard's good but it's not that good. Meh, my opinion. The players can decide on what they want. I just like to mix it up and try out new ships, but w/e.

I can see your point, but between abusing fighters and overloading on mobility....

Also you can always add shield frames to Junkyards; they certainly have enough room.

(Oh, a thing on fighters both of us forgot: You only benefit from 120 fighters. Having more helps if you're against enemies that kill them a lot, but they don't contribute to the damage pulse.)

quote:

The fighter launching one isn't subject? That's news to me. Do you mean the capacity or the actual "Gravity Catapult" (or w/e it's called) ability?

Gravity Catapult doesn't appear to be.

For that matter, Energy Discrim Radar isn't either.

Which is why it makes more sense that all the automatic abilities are exempt from the flagship rule... or that none of them are, the graphics are lies, and EDR is a plot flag. (You know, because bugs. You'd think that between Nude Maker, Platinum, and SEGA they could put together a QA teohhhhhh.)

But that doesn't change the fact that you should probably only run one ship with a command ability, since you won't be able to use any of the others and if your flagship falls it's game over anyway.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 25, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

gohuskies posted:

I got Saint's Row 3 in the Steam sale. I heard the "don't do activities until they are introduced in the story" thing, anything else?

Don't worry too much about the How To Make Sense of the Story guide in the SR3 thread.

You shouldn't do easy activities until introduced. You can do medium and hard activities freely (except for Guardian Angel - both of those are introduced in missions), and no new activities are introduced after you've got all the activity issuers as homies (not necessarily after Gang Bang, but if you put that off long enough it'll be the only mission on your list), so any easy activities left after that are fair game.

For the same logic, you may not want to buy the $100 property or the $100 Friendly Fire until it comes up in plot. It's only a couple lines, but hey. At least the gang operations from that one don't show up until that mission.

Also you might find a couple of gang operations on top of buildings, rather than at ground level.

Don't skimp on weapon upgrades. They're as valuable as character upgrades. Also some weapons get added to Friendly Fire's inventory, instead of to your crib, so check back after every major mission, or at least if the game says it gave you a weapon and it's not at the crib.

On that note: You will eventually run out of things to buy at Friendly Fire. You will never run out of things to buy at Rim Jobs.

A few of the challenges and assassinations get balls hard to do if you wait too long to do them - not because they're impossible to fight through, but because there's just not enough of what you need left in circulation to set off certain triggers: Don't finish taking over Espina until you take out Andre; don't finish taking over The Grove until you take out Almonzo; don't finish taking over Steelport altogether until you've successfully taunted 50 Syndicate members (if you get a Taunting popup under your Respect meter it counts).

And stick around for the credits. It's worth it.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 24, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Anonononomous posted:

What happens [in the SR3 credits]? I don't recall anything.

Remember Pierce and the Boss singing along to Sublime's "What I Got" in the early missions? ALL the Boss VAs sing along to it during the credits. AT THE SAME TIME.

It's not a gameplay improvement or achievement thing, it's just fun as hell.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 25, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Xander77 posted:

So, any recommended mods?

Autosaves will ruin your life. Get CASM. (Yeah, you'll need a script extender, but unlike in Fallout 3 NVSE actually plays nice with Steam.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Gynovore posted:

Just take Repair to 50 and memorize what you need to make Weapon Repair Kits; scrap metal, tape, glue, electronics, and a wrench. Jury Rigging is handy, but IMHO it's not worth taking Repair to 90 _and_ a perk.

Weapon repair kits don't work on apparel. And even if you have all of the caps, repairmen won't fix apparel with no DT (or DR, on the rare occasion something uses it).

Also kits are 50% more effective at 100 than at 50 (although only 25% more effective at 75 - or 99 - but if you're going for repair 90 then you may as well).

Note that there's mods both for making weapon repair kits work on armor and helmets and for making kit efficacy a gradient rather than a set of thresholds, although these may unbalance the game pretty hard if you piss off factions with valuable armor.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

That's the odd thing: You really can't screw up your game in Alpha Protocol. At least, not in the story choices you make. Or, if you do, you can still clear it, possibly in hilarious fashion.

Obsidian's kinda good at that sort of thing.

Also AP is something of a goon favorite: here's its Before I Play Wiki page and here's its thread that still gets occasional traffic.

I can't really speak to GTA 4 or Assassin's Creed since I hung with GTA through San Andreas, got about two hours into GTA 4, and then [obnoxious avatar-related disclaimer] and I never touched Assassin's Creed.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Genkibowl actually has some legs to it and the Trouble with Clones was fun (although most of its spectacle value was overshadowed by Saints Row IV) but Gangstas in Space is pretty much just one dick mechanic after another.

Skippy Granola did a Let's Play of Saints Row: the Third recently. Even he had trouble getting the story DLCs to look play-worthy.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

"The fat ho" is pretty much any of them not wearing just a bikini. Like, even the ones in crop-top polos and low-rise pants work.

Why yes, Zimos and everything involved with him is an exercise in invoking and exacerbating gender issues.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

There are cheevos and challenges associated with what ^ ^ ^ brought up, so if you care about those - might want to get those out of the way early. (EDIT: Actually, near-missing cars on foot might only be a stunt, not challenge-related. It's been a few months since I played.)

Also at some times the police are inconvenient, and Tornado virtually guarantees they'll show up.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

[Fallout: New Vegas PC-specific advice, unsolicited and cross-posted from the Steam thread, and also I have the worst thread timing]

Fallout: New Vegas is kind of an amazing game that doesn't get the respect it deserves (all of it) because it had to go through Bethesda Softworks QA, and it was cross-platform with the 360 and PS3. Conspiracy theories aside, this pretty much means that you need to mod it or you're going to have a miserable time - on the other hand, you don't have to mod it much, and once you do it's the best version of the game by a fair margin. You'll have to run it once from the Steam library or shortcut to make New Vegas visible to third-party tools.

To get all this stuff (and most mods) working:
New Vegas Script Extender - Adds extra features to the Creation Engine to make some very useful things possible in game that aren't normally available in Oblivion's progeny. Goes where FalloutNV.exe is. Use the beta.
LOOT - A quick and easy load order manager, to keep basic game packages and mods from colliding with each other in spectacularly bad ways. Goes most places, but also sees Oblivion/Fallout 3/Skyrim, so maybe not in New Vegas' folder tree.
FNV4GB - Enables Large Address Aware for FalloutNV.exe, giving it 4 GB of address space to play with instead of 2 GB, to keep it from running out of memory so quickly. Useful if you play too long, and necessary if you use too many mods (or a big video card). Only useful on 64-bit Windows (duh). Goes anywhere as long as the .exe and .dll are together, but might as well go where FalloutNV.exe is. Invokes NVSE if it sees it, so you'll be running New Vegas from this from here on.

To keep the game itself from falling apart:
New Vegas Anti Crash - Adds sanity checks and exception handling to stop some of the more common crashes-to-desktop. The NVSE folder goes in .\data.
Cipscis' Automatic Save Manager - An autosave mechanic that won't corrupt the poo poo out of your saves like the built-in one will! Now configurable in-game. Also goes in .\data (as do most mods).

The only game-changing mod that's actually recommended:
jsawyer.esp - A set of tweaks to bring the game's mechanics closer to originally intended, composed by Josh Sawyer, who directed Fallout: New Vegas. Strictly optional if it's your first time through, but hard to play without once you've used it (although it changes combat enough that you may want to visit the difficulty slider). .\data, and you'll need the Ultimate Edition or equivalent (all four side stories, all four pre-order packs, and the Gun Runners' Arsenal) or it straight-up won't work.

Actual unofficial patches (or at least mods claiming to be) are generally counseled against because they almost uniformly take some liberties that are either not in-line with Fallout lore, or socially ignorant, or just absurd, and when they are actually tolerable they're usually just doing stuff that jsawyer.esp already covered.

For more information, more mods, and/or more control over mods, check out our New Vegas modding thread.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 4, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

That you drove up to in a clearly labeled police cruiser.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Don't listen to people who complain about how long or boring some of the challenges are - protests from people who actually get the game (see SRmods and SA/games) got them to knock down any ridiculous challenge times.

But you may want to get "Aliens Taunted" out of the way early for the same reason you want to get "Gang Members Taunted" out of the way early in SR3 (you eventually run out of enemy patrols).

Don't sperg out about the collections; you'll get to them all eventually (and you don't need every single one of them except for a couple achievements).

The activities, on the other hand, are balanced around co-op, and often around professional gamers in co-op. If poo poo's just too tedious flip that switch to casual.

In fact, get used to using the difficulty toggle - on normal I never died in my first playthrough, and outside of activities you might actually want a challenge.

You still have regen in the real world.

There are a few timing bugs that cause low framerates to torpedo missions. Adjust your graphics settings accordingly and put two in Raptr's face if AMD forced it on you. This... really isn't bad considering that there's still poo poo from Saints Row 1 floating around in the code and asset base (just not very much).

There's a saint in all of us.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 26, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

juliuspringle posted:

Any Saints Row 4 tips? I picked up the National Treasure edition today.

Oh, I forgot: If you don't know what weapons to upgrade, you should remember that the Alien Pistol/SMG/Rifle are the only wheel weapons you get in the real world, and sim upgrades carry over. They may not be the greatest things in the simulation, but at least don't neglect them.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Foxhound posted:

Anything for Rune Factory 4 on the 3DS?

Probably best off checking out the OP and highlights in the Harvest Moon thread.

Not sure what the OP/wiki maintainer would want to bring in from it yet.

Also it can take like a year (120 days) of game time for the event that opens up the third act to pop once you've finished the second act.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

rj54x posted:

Almost all of the tips on the wiki for Fallout 4 seem to be centered around crafting. Any advice for somebody who wants to avoid the crafting minigame as much as possible?

I hear New Vegas is pretty neat.

Seriously, crafting is sort of what Fallout 4 has over other Fallout games or RPG-mechanics-driven sandboxes and Bethesda has gone all-in on it. If you're here for Fallout 4 but not for the crafting you might literally have a better time with an LP of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Wyvernil posted:

Was going to start playing Saint's Row 2 again, any advice that isn't already on the wiki?

I'm also trying out the mod recommended on the wiki, what does that add besides general bug fixes and extra customization options? Are any of the "optional" parts of the mod worth using?

1) Ignore the gang order lines on Before I Play. Do the missions in whatever order feels right to you, whether or not that means jumping between gang plotlines. I know it blargs about difficulty if you already destroyed other gangs but I don't actually remember that being a thing? I guess I'd page IdolNinja to see if this is actually the case, since he's the driving force behind Gentlemen of the Row, but he might be limited in what he can tell now that he works at Volition.

2) There are no bonuses or penalties for the game difficulty, at least on Windows. Choose whichever feels right to you.

3) The timing issues with the Windows port of Saints Row 2 (running too slow or fast) only exist in Windows 7. The GOG version is frame-limited, ostensibly so the in-engine cutscenes don't go off the rails, but can otherwise be treated like Steam version 1.2 for GotR purposes.

4) As for optional parts of Gentlemen of the Row, I dunno, maybe being able to alter your wardrobe clothing colors without having to buy new clothes? (Section 5, option 3) (They'll still default to the colors you bought though, and you can't change the style from there. If it feels cheaty or something to you, then don't I guess.)

Also GotR changes a few of the unlockable bonuses, but usually favorably, and the GotR Reference gives you the details. I don't think they're spoilery but :shrug:

A lot of it you might have to feel out for yourself.

EDIT: Oh yeah, mouse aiming in Saints Row is what the video game community officially considers "imba hax" and you can switch between controller and KB/M at any time, or even use them in play simultaneously, in all of the Saints Row games on PC. This will probably help you with the tow truck the one time you have to use it during the story (it's early in SR2 and easy).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 14, 2018