Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Oh, and one more thing for Bioshock: Hack Everything. Literally. There is nothing bad that can come from Hacking something.

Note that the flavor text about the camera magically sampling the targets DNA or whatever is bullshit and you can photograph security cameras, turrets, and helicopters.

Unfortunately, you can't photograph them after you've hacked them, so if you're playing for achievements/trophies, take the picture first, and then hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Almighty Pod posted:

Save points are usually pretty close to where boss rooms are. Save often and prepare to run into a boss without saving for a long time once or twice. If this happens, I just suggest you hit up a walkthrough for the boss as to not lose a poo poo ton of progress. It's really annoying.

The boss rooms are really obvious when you enter them and you can turn around and leave immediately if you don't walk too far into the room.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Orvin posted:

To make the game a bit easier, take pictures of everything moving with the camera. In addition to all the different splicers, you can take pictures of Big Brothers, Little Sisters, and Cameras/Turrets. You can also take multiple pictures of the same subject, but each successive picture will return less gains. The pictures typically make you do more damage to that particular subject, but there are some bonus tonics thrown in the mix.

Taking pictures of the cameras, turrets and security bots is especially useful because you can instantly hack them once you've maxed out your research level on those subjects.

Also, the games flavor text about the research camera suggests something about DNA sampling, which implies that it does nothing for cameras/turrets/bots, you can run out of cameras and turrets to take pictures of, and I want my achievements :argh:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

who cares posted:

I just started playing Fallout 3, and my friend lent me the discs for all of the expansions minus Mothership Zeta.

He told me to hold off on installing Broken Steel since it will populate the world with high-level enemies. Also, he said to do Operation Anchorage early since it will allow me to use power armor.

Any other tips like this relating to the expansions?

Collect all the ingots in The Pitt before installing Point Lookout -- for some reason a roof you need to walk across to get some of the ingots stops being solid after Point Lookout is installed.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

Collect all the ingots in The Pitt before installing Point Lookout -- for some reason a roof you need to walk across to get some of the ingots stops being solid after Point Lookout is installed.

Hmm. The Fallout wiki says this has been fixed, although I don't know what version of Point Lookout is on the discs.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Zushio posted:

Just fire the grenade from a different position so it has more time in the air.

Awkwardly placed grenade obstacles are supposed to be broken by sticking a grenade into foam.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

I read the wiki, but are there any other things I should know about Shadow of the Colossus? So far I've beaten two colossi, and I'm just running around hunting lizards.

Eat fruit while you're hunting lizards.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

al-azad posted:

It's a straightforward and simplistic game with no miss-able items except the mace which isn't required and you lose it anyways. Keep your eyes peeled because it's easy to miss environmental aspects like climbable ledges and boxes. Most of the time you're required to leave Yorda behind so you can solve some kind of puzzle but the game will warn you when shadows appear. Ico can't die (except falling down bottomless pits) but once Yorda is kidnapped it's game over.
The European version has a lightsaber instead of the mace. :sigh:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Orvin posted:

I just ordered Batman Arkham Asylum. Anything I need to know?

There are two missable achievements: rescue all the guys in the poison gas filled room and beat the crap out of the 20 Joker minions who clap and cheer for you.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Loofa08 posted:

I never get these perks, especially Bloody Mess. I personally think its super annoying when I shoot a guy in the chest and his arms, legs, and face explode. It makes no sense and happens almost every time. I could care less about the damage boost. And the game was never hard enough where I felt the Mysterious Stranger was needed. That's just me though.

Bloody Mess increases your damage by 5%, so that's useful.

Mysterious Stranger is fun, but somewhat useless -- there's only a 10% chance of him appearing when you've dropped an enemies health below 150 points and he'll sometimes be positioned such that he shoots you, your allies, or terrain obstacles if they're between him and his target.

My Fallout 3 advice:

At level 4, take the Educated perk. (This gives three additional skill points every time you level.)

At level 5, take the Comprehension perk. (This gives you two points from every skill book instead of one. Don't read any skill books you may have collected until you get this perk.)

Skill books are almost never in containers or on bodies, you'll find them laying around out in the open, so be on the lookout for anything booked-shaped that doesn't look burnt.

Don't take any of the following perks:
Lady Killer (not many dialog options, most enemies are male)
Swift Learner (you'll get plenty of XP naturally)
Child at Heart (not many children, the dialog options aren't useful)
Fortune Finder (you'll find plenty caps and stuff to be sold for caps as it is)
Scrounger (ammo generally isn't a problem)
Mister Sandman (you can kill people easily enough when they're asleep already)
Here and Now (again, you'll get plenty of XP)
Cannibal (the animation is long and you only get 25 HP)
Explorer (explore the world yourself)

At early levels, you'll be limited in your choice of perks to those that add points to your skills, so pick the perks that complement whatever play style you've chosen. Once you get better choice of perks, never take one that only increases your skill points -- you can always raise your skill points, but getting the other benefits that perks provide is hard or impossible.

When you're picking perks, keep in mind what your character is capable of through equipment and items -- for example, Rad Resistance may permanently increase your radiation resistance by 25%, but the max tops out at 85% and you'll probably be able to reach that by equipping the right armor and taking a Rad-X, so why waste a perk on that?

If you have the DLC, don't install Broken Steel until either a) you're about to hit level 20 or b) you're about to follow a giant robot. It's mildly broken in that some of it's content leaks into the game world before it should, which spoils the plot and can spawn dangerously overleveled enemies. The rest can be installed at any time, although Point Lookout is definitely end-game content and shouldn't be done until you're high level.

Other than that, be aware that (in the spirit of the previous Fallout games) the main plot can be accidentally short circuited while you're just exploring the world. If you don't want to miss parts of the game, avoid the Rivet City Science Lab and Smith Casey's Garage until you're directed to go there.

There's a wiki: http://fallout.wikia.com. It is hugely useful.

Finally, keep in mind that there's many ways to accomplish your objectives -- you can kill people, convince people, pick locks, get keys to those locks, hack computers controlling the locks, hack computers controlling the turrets that kill people for you, go in with guns blazing, sneak around and kill silently with a flaming sword, save everyone, murder everyone, do whichever pays the most, get paid twice and then murder them, etc.

Above all, have fun.

Edit: One more thing: Save your game! Do not rely on the autosaves -- they don't happen often enough and they can happen at inopportune times (e.g. two seconds before your follower gets killed). There is nothing more irritating than discovering when you die or when the game crashes (and it will crash) that the last time you saved was when you exited a building into the Capital Wasteland 90 minutes ago. Save after you level up, save after you read a skill book, save after you kill anything big and scary, save before you start conversations with quest-related NPCs, save whenever you can't remember the last time you saved, save save save your game.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 29, 2010

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Perestroika posted:

That list is already pretty exhaustive, I just got one more thing to add: In character creation, I recommend putting your Intelligence stat at 10, the maximum.
That way, together with the perks "Educated" and "Comrpehension" (as mentioned above), you should quite easily be able to get all skills to 100, provided you find enough books and bobbleheads.

I just restarted Fallout 3 with an INT of 6, and I'm on track to hit 100 in everything by the time I hit level 30.

Not that having a 100 in everything is necessary to have a great time.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

One more Fallout 3 tip: I told y'all to save your game often and not to rely on the autosaves, but here's one more critical piece of advice: Use multiple save files. At least three in rotation, maybe more. Maybe create a new save every time. They don't seem to get above 10 megabytes each, so a single play through will only run you about a gigabyte in storage if you keep all of them.

I discovered the hard way that the game can create saves that crash on load when both the autosave and my most recent manual save towards the end of Mothership Zeta locked up the game -- for some reason I got to and finished the bridge sequence without the girl (Sarah?) following me and the game was not happy about that at all afterwards because she was trapped behind a permanently locked door or something. Weirdly enough, it had alternate dialog for Somah to take Sarah's place, but it locked up when I tried to teleport back to Earth.

Fortunately, I had another backup save shortly before the broken saves, but if that one had been messed up also, I would've lost more than 90 hours of game play.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

NicktheBishop posted:

If you're playing it on an emulator make sure to use a controller and not the keyboard- you will need to be holding buttons down while pressing other buttons and most keyboards can't handle that poo poo.

And Dr. Video Games gave good advice. If you get lost or stuck or something, just keep exploring. Enjoy, it's one of the best games ever.

And one of the alternate control schemes is better than the default.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Assassin's Creed 2 Anybody?

I just got to Montereigattoni.

The complete list of things you need to know about Assassin's Creed 2:

* The game never tells you this, but you can buy/learn new combat moves from the training guy in your villa.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Oh, and at one point, during a dream sequence, you might have problems reaching a beam with a lamp hanging from it. Hold RT (on the Xbox, whatever your "high visibility manuevers button" is) and press and release A (or again, whatever your run button is) without moving the stick in any direction. That makes you jump straight up and grab the handhold above you. I was stuck on that for like 25 minutes because you never need to do that at any other point in the drat game.

I'm convinced that there's another way to do that part that doesn't involve this move, because I got through it with absolutely no difficulty at all.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

DominoRBG posted:

I don't know if someone's posted this already, but I'm about to start Dragon Quest VIII. Anything I should know, tips, tricks?

After the first boss kills you, go grind out five levels or so and then you'll never have to do it again for the rest of the game. (Until the post-game content, anyway.)

Also, don't sell your starting weapons, they're unique and can be crafted into even better things.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

Any good advice about Chrono Cross?

Play it on a PlayStation or PlayStation 2, not a PlayStation 3.

(The PS3 emulator will cause it to randomly crash during battles.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Quarex posted:

Yes, there is an XBox Live account named Quarex, but A. I think that was me too even though I cannot figure out how to sync the two and B. Why should that matter for an entirely different system?

It isn't an entirely different system, it is the same system. You don't sync them, you log in with the same email and password.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I suppose you'll have to try any email you may have used until you get the right one. Start with any active Windows Live IDs you may have now.

Or you might be able to talk a Microsoft support person into telling you which Windows Live account is associated with the Xbox LIVE account.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

skizzenstifte posted:

the Oblivion tips were great, thanks y'all. gonna try Fallout 3(360) now, any advice?

Search for my posts in this thread, I wrote up a big ole pipe o' tips a while back.

edit: Here it is.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 18, 2010

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pr0phecy posted:

Only 1 AFAIK.

At one point, you will be greeted by some friendly fellows, happy for your success. You will know when you see them. They will only appear once and you must crush them to get the achievement.

Two, actually. There's some guards very early on that need to be rescued.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dead Space

Your starting weapon is the only one you actually need (and there's an achievement for only using it through the entire game).

Don't carry weapons in your inventory unless you actually want to use them, because the game dishes out ammunition based on what you have. Never carry the flamethrower for this reason, it is completely worthless. The assault rifle is pretty terrible, too.

If you see a corpse laying on the ground, stomp on it. If you don't, a necromorph will probably infest it later.

Feel free to use the stasis and oxygen cheat codes liberally, the game doesn't penalize you for it in any way. There are also cheat codes that will give you power nodes once per play, also with no consequences.

Speaking of power nodes, always keep one with in your inventory, they'll unlock doors with lots of nice stuff behind them.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Don't sell any of your starting weapons in DQ8, they're unique and required for crafting recipes later.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

PS3 WAS 100% backwards compatible from the get go, it wasn't fanboy hype, but eventually Sony removed legacy PS2 stuff from the hardware to save on costs, and switched over to software BC. The emulator had issues that sony didn't feel like fixing, so they just completely axed BC altogether, the 80GB MGS4 bundle that was out a few years ago was the last system with it.

If she just bought one a month ago, then it's not. They removed the BC years ago.

It is actually more complicated than that -- the original consoles had most of the PS2 hardware inside them (but not the original PlayStation chip), then there were some consoles that only had the PS2 GPU, and then their software emulation team realized that the PS3 can't emulate the PS2 GPU in software, so they dumped emulation entirely when they eliminated the PS2 GPU chip.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Note that putting your phone in sleep mode halts story progression in some cases.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Stomp every corpse you see.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If you go through again to max out all the weapons, make sure you have something useful in addition to the loving flamethrower.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Does the PC version of AC2 have achievements? Because the kick-dudes-while-hang-gliding achievement is missable unless you buy the DLC.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Forceholy posted:

So I just got the game Red Dead Redemption today from Gamefly. I can't seem to find anything on the wiki. Any tips?

Never use fast travel. The world is a beautiful thing to look at, and lots of crazy poo poo happens.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

DarkDude98 posted:

Got a new 360 today so picked up a bunch of XBLA games I've missed, any tips on these?:

Costume Quest

Costume Quest was broken by the patch that added support for the DLC. Clear you Xbox 360's cache and then always refuse the patch when you start Costume Quest.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Is this a 360 thing only? I was aware of an unfixed post-patch bug, but I thought it only affected games with pre-patch saves (and even then only saves before a certain quest). In any case I just completed a post-patch game on the PS3 with no problems.

I'm not sure, I played the game start-to-finish long before the patch came out.

Ah, straight from Tim's message:

"-If you have an in-progress save game and have not yet completed the quest using the Fry costume, you will experience this bug and will not be able to finish the game."

Otherwise, you're fine. I guess the "clear the patch and refuse" strategy is for everybody who had a save in progress.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Red 9 with the stock attachment is the best non-gimmick weapon in the game.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

Chocobo Hot and Cold is immensely profitable, loot-wise, and good fun.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And once you've done the IFF mission, you have time for exactly one more loyalty mission.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Zedd posted:

- If you play on PC use gubbed's editor to give you a fuckload of minerals to avoid mining (also possible on 360 but harder)

I don't know if this advice is really worth the effort now that they've made mining faster and provide more minerals.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

- Stomp on every corpse you find

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Orvin posted:

I have Red Faction: Armaggedon and Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon coming in a day or two. Any tips for these?

- If you don't open the shrink wrap, you can resell them as "New" at a higher price.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Goofballs posted:

As much as its either of their faults its gamebryo's fault

Gamebryo gets way too much flak for what is very clearly Bethesda's fault.

Remember, Gamebryo is only in charge of rendering, animations, input, etc.

Every time a quest gets hosed up, the NPC AI does something retarded, you get stuck on geometry or the game crashes, it is directly the result of Bethesda shipping a buggy game.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Vidaeus posted:

What is the go with all the crazy buggy physics then? One that happens ALL THE TIME across multiple Gamebryo games (Fallout, New Vegas, Oblivion), is that when you pick something off a table/shelf, every single other item on that table shifts. What the hell is up with that? You would think they would have been able to fix that across 3 different games.

I suspect that's the result of the coordinates of the props not being stored with full precision in order to conserve space.

So the game loads the world geometry, then it loads the props for the area and places them within the world geometry. However, since bits are shaved off the prop coordinates to conserve space, they've all shifted slightly from their originally positions as placed by the map designer.

Until you actually interact with them, the game doesn't have any reason to start running physics simulations on them, so it doesn't realize that they're all floating and need gravity applied to them.

This really irritated me in Oblivion, because some of the unique items (staffs, mostly, IIRC) would have their positions get really screwed up when you saved and reloaded. It made decorating my house with my swag a chore.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

No other game you've played has persistent objects in the same fashion as the Bethesda games.

Remember, those props may have an initial position loaded off of the DVD, but as soon as you start interacting with the world, the game starts saving all the information about those props in your save file, and those save files can get big.

The only other game I can think of that does anything remotely similar is the original BioShock, and the load times in that game were atrocious. Fortunately, the Vita-Chambers eliminated the need for checkpointing, but transitioning between areas was a real pain.

Oh, and this still isn't a Gamebryo problem, because Gamebryo doesn't deal in large persistent worlds with thousands of unique interactive objects. Bethesda built all of that on top of Gamebryo themselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if the lovely player walking/running animation is totally Gamebryo's fault, though.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 5, 2011