Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr E posted:

I'm still stuck there, have been for a year. :(

If we're talking about the white room with multiple enemy waves use the shock-wave move constantly and hope enemies drop t'lan. Don't be afraid to get up close before they spawn to ensure it hits, and use superjump to clear distance. Then lead them around the arena, do the straight punch and jump away. Its tedious as hell but its the only way I ever beat that game on the various difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Twitch posted:

One of my friends wants to get me playing Counterstrike. Should I get the old Counterstrike or Counterstrike Source? I only want to buy one, unless I end up really getting into it.

Beyond that, what do I need to know as someone who's never played before?

Get source, try to find servers with plus 6 people a side, otherwise you'll die and feel like an impediment to your team and your chances of winging a wounded guy and getting the kill drop tremendously. Another benefit is you can follow team members around and see where they go and what they do on any given map.

At first you will die. A lot. You just kind of have to accept that until you get familiar with the maps.

When you start out submachine guns are your friend, they're cheap, accurate at mid-range even while holding down the fire button, and deal okay damage.

As you get better, practice using the ak, the famas, and the m4. Learn to aim for the head and fire in bursts, which is why the famas is useful for training as its secondary fire is a burst mode. Get good at sniping if the server you play on allows awps, which brings me to the next point.

As quickly as possible determine how you feel about the AWP. It is a one hit kill sniper rifle. When I say one hit I mean, if it grazes you in the foot through a wall, you will most likely die, even with body armor. I personally do not play on any server that has them enabled. Most servers will let you know their stance on that gun in their server name. When you start play on both kinds and the decide how you feel about that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

Edit: and also, where do you get Vincent in FFVII? I managed to skip about half of disc 2 by forgetting where to go and accidentally sequence-breaking.

Hes in nibelheim in the basement of the shinra manor. You need a key to unlock his door which requires you to open a safe inside shinra manor's upstairs area by finding the numbers and such throughout the manor. Open it, beat boss, take key, go downstairs, open door, get vincent. Tell him you plan on fighting sephiroth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

Just picked up Metal Gear Solid 2, any important things to know? I know some mgs basics, since I've beaten 1, but since I bought it used I don't have the manual.

there is no check the back of the CD case moment so don't worry about the lack of manual.

1)The tranq m9 you get early on is, if you want to avoid alerts, the best option. Hell on normal just pop a guy anywhere on his body and he drops, easier than real bullets.

2)Run plus bottom face button (A on 360/X on PS) makes you do a kickflip. It is only needed to cross gaps where the railing won't let you.

3)Coolant is for waking up guards by spraying them in the face till they awaken, if you want their dog tags.

4)If you hear a guard talking on the radio, avoid killing or knocking him out as he has to make regular updates to command or guards pour into the area.

5)The plot is, uh, the plot. Thats all about that I can say

6)Moving the thumbsticks around makes the faces in codec conversations move. Clicking them makes it zoom in. It serves no purpose except to help you pass the time during the dialogue.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

I just started Metal Gear Ac!d, any tips for it? It's not exactly what I was expecting, but in a good way.

Always use like ammo. What I mean by this is every type of gun has a type of ammo it produces and requires. Try to only use this gun with an equivalent gun, without mixing ammo types. Some guns produce more ammo but deal less damage, so use them only as ammo, and use your high damage low ammo guns as your equipped weapon. You get several bonuses and it streamlines your deck rather rapidly, and can absolutely wreck any guard you come across.

Additionally, if you can get it, the "fortune" card from the MGS2 set is absolutely broken.

In terms of gameplay, the best idea is to fill your deck with health cards you plan to use to move with, and then tons of guns. You may want an RPG or nikita mixed in as well for a little variety. If you enjoy it, get the sequel which is pretty much a complete upgrade in every regard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bob Smith posted:

I just received Lost Odyssey for the 360 on my rental service - any tips/advice/warnings that are relevant?

The spell the boss is weak against is, at least early on the game, always in their dungeon. Do not attempt to progress through dungeons until you are 100% certain you have all their loot. The toughest boss fight in the game is the first one.

Do not sit around griding for levels, as the each area has a level cap. You'll understand what I mean when enemies stop giving you half a level a fight and instead start giving you 1-2%.

Immortals are the bomb, and should always be in your party. They don't learn skills naturally, they learn them by having an item equipped and then gathering enough AP. Humans on the other hand are stuck with what they learn naturally and two item slots. Since immortals can eventually have more than 20 slots for skills you can see where I'm going with this.

Rings, on the whole, are unnecessary. If you have a ring that gives bonuses, kudos. Otherwise, don't worry too much.

Most importantly, when you have a chance, buy as many earth magic casting items as you can. Their is a section on disc 3 where you are trapped with a party of all casters who have to fight a boss you casts an un-removable reflect barrier and deals absurd damage. Unless you've ground up the skills on these characters expect to get raped to death by this rear end in a top hat without offensive earth magic items.

The only missables I remember are two magic spells. Everything else you miss can be bought at an auction house later. The two magic spells are bought in the magic shop of the Huge-rear end-Mechanical-City (TM)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Twitch posted:

Any tips for Devil May Cry (the first one)? I'm up to the first boss and he's kicking my rear end.

Also, any tips for Drakengard?

DMC is basically all about getting comfortable performing combos and rolling out of them. I know that sounds stupid, but effectively each boss is a test of how comfortable you are at repeating their damage pattern, sort of like a shoot em up.

You might want to check out Accounting Nightmare's LPs for good ideas for how to handle bosses. She's also handy because she collects every hidden blue orb which makes the game a whole lot less frustrating because you don't have to wonder where exactly you missed one.

As for Drakengard, don't play it. If you must, the Elf-Woman thing is the best partner, her magic attack is murderous on enemies and helps you mop up like no-ones business.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PrinnySquadron posted:

Any starting tips for Way of the Samurai 3?

Quite literally on the previous page, and never having played it I'm just regurgitating what they said.

If you want to unlock all the costume elements before you begin your journey to awesomeness, start the game, decline the fights eat a radish or other vegetable and bolt town. This gives you the vegetarian award and a ton of points towards the unlockables. Rinse repeat

Actual Gameplay:
Going on what they said it is very similar to previous Way of the Samurai games; Hard
What this means is don't be afraid to play on easy at first. Blows deal crazy damage and can sometimes be outright lethal. Get used to blocking and dodging while looking for openings. 3 introduces a push pull system. If the enemy is pushing, gaurd while pulling back on the thumbstick to make them stumble, if they are pulling swing into them to make them guard-break.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FalseShockWorker posted:

I'm about to play Chrono Cross for the first time (I found it really cheap at a used video store), anything I should know going in? Mainly I'm worried about missable things, because given CC's reputation, I'm not sure I'll be up for a NG+.

Other than the usual out of the way treasure chests their aren't a lot of hidden dick move items.

1) Enemies exist on the dungeon, touching them engages. If you kill them they disappear and do not respawn until you leave the dungeon. Fighting does not give you xp, only the chance to randomly boost characters stats. Bosses give you stars which passively boost all characters stats. Therefore swapping characters can be done relatively freely and often. You will not collect even half of the max 99 stars on one play-through

2) If you want all the characters, or at least as many as you can get on a fresh run, you will need a guide. Cannot stress that enough.

3) The magic system is fairly unique. By attacking in combat, you build up ranks of spells. Every spell is slotted to a certain rank. Once you reach the rank you can cast any spell in that rank. Doing so will consume stamina and the spell but only for that battle. To build a little stamina attack, to build a bunch guard.

4) New game plus lets you end the game at any time and gives you an item which makes the game run at I think 2x normal speed.

5) If you want to make the best use of element trap spells (the ones where if you lay it out, and your enemy uses it the attack fails and you steal there spell) look at a strategy guide.

6) Its better than Chrono Trigger :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics A2? I've already jumped into about 25 hours of it, but I'm not too far ahead in the story (I can't leave sidequests behind).

Learn these skills ASAP, dual wield, aura blast (or earlier on wind slicer), and strikeback. Only humans can learn dual wield and bangaa and humans can learn strikeback the other two. These skills are absolutely gamebreaking. Dual wield lets you equip two weapons which results in two hits. Aurablast is a no mp ranged attack that hits in a cross pattern dealing damage roughly equivalent to the melee attack of the user. Strikeback negates melee attacks and auto counters with a full strength attack. Most AI even into the late game content won't know what hit it, as your tanks effectively become ranged attackers who can't be hit and dish out crazy damage.

Dual Wield is a ninja skill so either do campaign mission 10 (House Bowen) as the katana is in a treasure chest there or collect a Gun Gear, Low Arcana, and a Screamroot to get it off the bazaar.

For viera, double cast is a red mage skill that for no penalty lets you cast magic of any kind twice in a row. Combine with the red mages move pool and whatever other skills your viera has to make a formidable ranged attacker.

Seeqs with illusion magic and the passive skill which halves MP cost can pound the entire screen with deadly magic of every element almost every single turn. You can often win fights before the rest of your crew is even in place to start the fight for real.

Moogles uh, do poo poo. They make pretty good ranged attackers with the handgun skill line as the moves deal as much damage as a normal shot while adding an element or random chance of inflicting a status condition.

Don't worry if you can't find any Seeq or Gria they have fewer classes than all the other races and don't usually appear as recruits until late in the game. I never used any other than quests that require specific quests and sailed through the content.

The female default name Adelle, becomes a unique class in post-game content. If you are interested in that use her through the game so she isn't cripplingly weak like she was for me.

Do the auction house early, but don't necessarily play to win. Play to do all the auction house challenges as they unlock various rewards the most important of which is the shop. This lets you buy chips at each auction house and therefore lets you simply out buy the competition at the end of the game.

People not in battle or on a quest still gain AP so even though they don't level up they can learn skills if you want to have a fully diverse cast.

Do you have any other more specific questions?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Sound like a solid party? I guess it doesn't matter if the game is super easy like Strange Matter said, but having a well-rounded party would still be fun :v:

Time magic isn't super beneficial for a nu mou to know, simply because they are the slowest to act and have the smallest movement. Haste only lasts three turns and you have to waste time setting up by waiting around with your more agile and faster party members. Then when it wears off because you have to waste a turn or two getting your newly hasted allies close enough to your enemies while your nu mou is no longer close enough to recast on them.

I don't mean to be harsh, but really time magic mostly serves to slow you down in this game.

One thing I failed to mention, the absolute best judge buffs in the game is the free regen spell you can get for completing one of the lower ranked clan proving challenges. You heal 10% of your health a turn, doesn't count as magic, and doesn't count as healing in fights that ban those things. It nullifies the need to have a white mage 90% of the time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Dante's Inferno and Bayonetta. I've minced my way through Darksiders on Apocalyptic difficulty, so I'm quite eager to try my hand at other challenging GoW-esque games. Is it worth starting either of these two on the hardest difficulty, or do they simply ramp up the amount of damage enemies do without really balancing much else?

I'm after a challenge, not a grind. D:

Dante's Inferno ups the amount and health of enemies that spawn. Its not a particularly hard game, especially if you go holy and get all the health regenerative techniques. The highest difficulty, inferno, is locked on start and is no different than previous difficulties. The dodge mechanic is useful only when enemies preform a glowing attack, otherwise guard and counter all day.

Bayonettawhile doable on hard as a fresh run-through is usually different enough from other GoW clones that people have problems. Especially in an early stage where it requires you to understand how to gain magic and use it on enemies quickly, something on your first run-through you probably won't be well versed at. The hardest difficulty mode removes you ability to use the games "Witch Time" mechanic making it quite a step up in the challenge.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rivals posted:

In Bayo you can't play hard or nsic until you play normal anyway.

Forgot about that. Your right. It makes the difficulty curve a lot nicer, especially since you've at least got some weapons and money to play with. And some understanding of the lollipops.

About Bayonetta, early on you'll receive Gold Records which unlock music. Eventually these will be replaced by pieces of a record. If you find a piece of a record the specific stage you are currently in has the rest of the pieces. Scour the poo poo out of the level to get them all as the weapons available are at minimum interesting.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Monk E posted:

Planning on buying FFX2 sometime soon any advice on how to avoiding missing anything important.

Thanks to one gigglefeimer for informing me I was incorrect on one of the tasks necessary to 100% the game.
Apparently I was trolled, as listening to that rambling pointless piece of poo poo of an NPC is apparently not necessary to 100% the game. I apologize. Thanks whoevers guide from launch day I followed, you made me hate this game more than I had to.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 5, 2010

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ted Stevens posted:

The Enemy Skill materia is the best thing to acquire. There's one monster thing that does a spell called healing wind or white wind that puts Barrier+MBarrier and heals your entire party in one shot.

There are only 4 enemy materia in the game, so don't miss them.

The enemy that casts this spell hangs out by costa del sol, and is the big bird looking thing. You have to use mind-control on him to cast it on you, but once you learn healing wind you can pretty much chuck the heal materia in the trash.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

I'm trying to play La-Mulana, but I've heard a lot about traps and puzzles that can permanently screw up your save if you fail them. I'd like to explore myself, but I don't want to lose my save if I do something wrong. Is there a list of dead ends somewhere?

The things you can lock yourself out of are two whip upgrades and your sanity. If you have any interest in completing the game or in knowing what to do you should consult a guide. La-Mulana was not designed with anyone but the programmer in mind.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Any Pointers for Digital Devil Saga?

Make sure to devour enemies whenever possible and to learn the skill Iron Stomach as a soon as possible as it prevents any negatives from consuming. The game is fairly grindy for both money and Atma, but knowing your enemies alignment or skill set allows you to utterly destroy them.

I don't know if you have both games, but keep in mind that while everything is answered in the sequel, nothing is answered in the first one.

There really isn't such things as towns, so having skills like chakra walk or whatever that gives you MP back for every step is incredibly useful. Healing magic is cheap so don't be afraid to get liberal with it, especially because certain spells consume HP not MP.

Never ever quit Demon Form. The number of enemies weak to bullets are few and the amount of buffs you get for being in Demon Form trivializes human form. The exception is a floating brain enemy called Omiokone which is weak only to bullets and drops huge amounts of atma and money.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just bought Splinter Cell: Double Agent. I played the ones leading up to this about 10 years ago it seems. I hear this one has a much more involved choice driven storyline. Anything I should know?

Also, am I missing a cutscene or something at the beginning? It seems as if the game starts with me jumping out of a plane with no rhyme or reason for me being at this powerplant or whatever.

If anyone has Conviction it would be great to know what you think of it.

Which version of Double Agent do you have? If its the 360 version its not really choice driven as its very, very easy to go into the final mission with maxed or near maxed rep for both factions. Additionally the mission structure is weaker.

The powerplant mission is a set-up mission to basically show off how awesome Sam is and how poo poo the new 3rd Echelon guy is.

Conviction basically removes some stealth in favor of more leathality. More 3rd Person Shooting/Stalking less 3rd Sneaking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fray Joker posted:

Oh and while I'm at it. I've got Fifa 10 I haven't had time to play yet. It's the first sports game I've ever owned, so any general skills that might apply would be great along with tips for Fifa 10.

If you're American, the first thing is pass pass pass pass. Always be passing. Sprinting is pretty much for stopping opponent passes, stealing, or making that final breakaway to take a shot on goal.

Learn the difference between the chip shot and the precision shot. For that matter, you usually only need to lightly tap the shot button and coming to a slight stop before shooting greatly increases your accuracy. The chip shot is used to kick it over the goalies hands when he comes in to try and steal the ball from you, and the precision shot is for when he hangs back and you need to angle it away from him.

Crossing is pressing the square/x button twice in rapid succession.

Once you've gotten passing down, a 5-2-2-1 or or 4-5-1 formation can be incredibly dominating as it lets you constantly shift to the offense, and using your d-pad to switch your AI buddies offense v defense perspective.

If you want to play manager mode, and are with a big club, first thing you want to fully upgrade is stadium, then scouting, then goalie. Stadium gives you straight up more money, scouting lets you cheaply, quickly, and easily find new talent, and goalie just improves the one player you can't control.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PrinnySquadron posted:

Does anyone have any advice for Metal Gear Ac!d? I haven't played yet, but I only know it uses some card-based system.

Copy pasted from earlier.

Always use like ammo. What I mean by this is every type of gun has a type of ammo it produces and one it requires. Try to only use a gun with an equivalent gun, without mixing ammo types. Some guns produce more ammo but deal less damage, so use them only as ammo, and use your high damage low ammo guns as your equipped weapon. You get several bonuses and it streamlines your deck rather rapidly, and can absolutely wreck any guard you come across.

If you can get it, the "fortune" card from the MGS2 set is absolutely broken.

In terms of gameplay, the best idea is to fill your deck with health cards you plan to use to move with, and then tons of guns. You may want an RPG or nikita mixed in as well for a little variety as some missions will require it and its incredibly annoying to get 15 minutes into a mission to find out you need it. If you enjoy AC!D, get the sequel which is pretty much a complete upgrade in every regard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

frogg posted:

I finally decided to check out Metal Gear Solid 4 and so far I've found that capping dudes in the face is a lot easier than incapacitating them and there isn't really a downside to this. I pretty much never die and the AI in this game seems horrible since I can apparently go prone right in front of them and become invisible. :psyduck: And if I do get spotted they're usually just staring at me instead of actually shooting me. The only other game in the series I've played is MGS2 and I remember that being a whole lot more stealth oriented than this. So I guess what I'm trying to ask here is, is there a point to sneaking around in this game at all when I could just be mowing down dudes and eating noodles instead?

Well at the start of Act 3 this would be a bad idea as its pretty much the only "spy" section ever put into an Metal Gear game and in Acts 4 and 5 its balls to the wall combat so, yes, Rambo is totally okay.

The first two Acts are what stealth in a firefight should feel like. You're some crazy dude on the battlefield who, as long as you're not shooting at people, isn't the primary concern when enemies are afoot. Although you can eat some healthy collateral.

MGS4 really isn't a stealth game. Its a game about Super-Science Spy/Soldier Snake

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sheriff Falc posted:

Thinking about playing Wild Arms 2, I got into the series after playing a bit of Wild Arms 4 on PS2 - is there anything that I should know?

Don't. The plot is an absolute mess and the translation fails you all the way through.

More pressingly though for actual advice if you intend to play it:
1) Healing items cannot be bought. They can only be stolen from enemies. Don't look for them in stores.
2) Since MP regenerates every single turn at the rate of one point per characters level per turn, when you get the option to make spells, make the heal spell as early as you can. You will never, ever stop casting this as it rapidly takes less MP than you regenerate in a turn.
3) When upgrading ARMS, remember that a reload is only 5 arm shots, regardless of the full capacity of the gun. Therefore, having a maximum capacity over 5 wastes your limited ability to upgrade these guns.
4) The game is choc-full of puzzles and many of them are arbitrary or very specific. Don't feel bad to look up a guide to finish them.
5) The plot is goddamned mess that really never picks up or goes anywhere, feel free to constantly skip.
6) The main character's power rangers-esque power-up mode is utterly broken so for most boss fights your strategy is have him wait until he has 100 magic then unleash the pain.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sheriff Falc posted:

Haha, thanks. I might take that advice. I was liking the whole western feel of the series, but I suppose if the plot is a mess then it's not really worth it.

I'm going to be honest with you, as a child I didn't understand the plot and hated it. When I was an adult I looked up the plot and was angry that my childhood self had thought he had missed something. Pacing is an alien concept to the game and the "revelations" it gives you are worthless and the things it refuses to tell you would actually be cool.

Not to mention that 3/4 of the game is like hunt down bad guys. Then it becomes a crap twist, and then I poo poo you not another dimension comes and tries to eat your world. Its inexplicable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CaptainRat posted:

The translation for Wild Arms 2 is also awful; it really feels like they ran it through Babelfish at times.

Feels like? I'm pretty certain they went to "Bob's Discount House of Translations" and said you know what, gently caress it too expensive.

There is a part where characters describe the dimension that is consuming them, and while staring at a black circle manage to destroy the English language to describe it. It grows, like an egg. I see a tail. It is like our souls.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Silent Hill 3 has the Shakespeare-reference puzzle, doesn't it? Where you need to explicitly understand a good number of the works of the Shakespeare simply to get halfway through a puzzle before doing something else just as difficult.

This is what puzzles should be like when you choose 'hard'.

And the incredibly disturbing puzzle poem about murdering a girl that you have to read to produce a solution to a keypad lock only through the most torturous of logic.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tracula posted:

Lost Odyssey

The absolute best advice I can give is read EVERY "1000 Years of Dreams" entry. I know, reading in an RPG can seem like a chore now a days (no sarcasm, I do understand that it can be annoying.) They seriously have some of the best writing in any game that I've ever played, and I might be a pussy for it, but some of them made me emotional.

Legitimately, consider the game the method through which you unlock the "1000 Years of Dreams" feature as while the plot is pretty decent by JRPG standards, the writing in the other stories make the game's plot look like dogshit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The_Fuzzinator posted:

I've been playing the Skate 3 demo and have been contemplating buying it, what should i know about it before i get too in deep.

Have you played the other Skate games? If not you could save a fair bit of scratch and just get Skate 2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I just started up Mass Effect, when I got into combat with flying drones, my pistol (I think) makes a loud boom sound around every other shot. Is that something my NPCs are causing when they shoot as well?

The only gun that makes load boom noise are the sniper rifles. The assault rifles and pistols make weaker pew-pew noises. None of the abilities make the guns louder so its certainly not that. Check what everybody is equipped with and see if that fixes it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Anything for Dragonage: Origins? It's not on the wiki.

In the brecilian forest is an elf store. He sells infinite elfroots, in batches of 99. He also sells flasks. Therefore he is your source of cheap, infinite health poultices. I don't know if you've started the game yet, but don't take herbalism on your main character. Off load that on a scrub sidekick and just have them make you all the potions.

If you want to get anywhere by persuasion, take the persuasion skill (duh)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kid Moe posted:

I recently bought Blazblue, anything i should know?

I'd like some help without any fancy terms as im not too familiar with fighting games, thanks.

Sup Blazblue as the diving in point buddy.

Okay, basics

1) Every character plays differently. I know thats a no-duh moment but they really do and their Drive attacks A on 360 X on PS3 are all completely different from one another.

2) This means take all the characters for a thorough spin in training mode until you find the character whose style fits yours. The easiest characters to start off with are probably Jin, Ragna, Noel, and V-13.

3) Once you have a character, learn their moves. I don't just mean learn what they do I mean learn when to use them, how to use them, and what situations they can go together. This will come in time, but also try to be able to reliably do the inputs.

Slightly More Advanced:

1) Don't be afraid to play online, its how you get good. Keep in mind that I hate learning, and in fact did not learn, complex 14 hit combos with my preferred and I still logged in 30+ online hours and hit level 50 online.

2) We can give you more personalized advice once you've decided on a character. if you want a general rundown on what each one excels at, ask.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

I'm starting a lot of games this summer and would like to save a handy .doc file for it all.

Keep in mind I already bought them, and I'm willing to go through them all eventually. (nice tax refund and such, and summer time!)

Skate 3
Sacred 2 (playing this with a friend coop, so good class combinations would be helpful)
Lost Planet 2
Prototype
Just Cause 1 + 2
Saints Row 1

Achievement whore here, so let me know if I can screw myself out of an achievement in those games.

Just Cause 1:
Since you own Just Cause 2, take JC1 but a trashcan outside and see how far you can throw the disc and still make it in the trashcan. Seriously, there is no benefit to playing the first game and it has almost none of the features that make the sequel an enjoyable and fun romp. Also, no plot connection or references between the two.

Saints Row 1:
Kill one gang at a time. This prevents you from loosing too much territory from each gang counterattacking you. Once you beat a gang, they never counterattack. When they attempt to capture your territory, kill them off since it gets you your money back and it gives you cred.

As early as possible buy new, purple clothes. This gives you a cred bonus on every mission you complete.

Use the cheap handgun as its easiest to buy a ton of from the shop.

Unlike GTA, you're health regenerates, so if you're hurt just hang around for a few seconds.

There is no order to the gangs, they are each self contained stories that have their own difficulty progressions. The final mission for a gang will not show up until you conquer all of that gangs turf.

Your money shows up at your safe-houses inside of a safe. Every 24 hours each territory produces its income and teleports to your safe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

Does anyone have anything for Majora's Mask? I just picked it up on VC, and I wanted to know if there's anything I should know.

Keep in mind that everything but masks, rupies, current item inventory, and completed dungeons resets when you play the song of time. Therefore, you have to make the best of the time given to you. Since there are only 4 dungeons in the game, don't worry if it takes you a test run to figure out a dungeon's or a mask giver's gimmicks before you are able to clean house inside.

You don't need to collect all the masks, but if you do you can transform Link into the Fierce Deity which is completely bad-rear end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

McKracken posted:

About to start Bioshock 2

Anything major I should be aware of?

The plot is, as I've said before The Karate Kid 3 to Karate Kid 1 in terms of cohesiveness and references.

If you want to cheese this game, and by god you should, grab the winters grasp gene as early as possible. With this equipped every single boss fight/big sister/big daddy/that rear end in a top hat that looked at you funny is breeze with winters grasp, drill, freeze, drill, death.

If you are a completionist know that unlike the first game, each level is totally independent of all the others. Therefore once you progress from a level (and you'll know when you have) you can never, ever go back. Keep that in mind if you want everything.

Just like the first game, enemies are assholes and infinitely respawn. Unlike the first game the shotgun remains an absolute wrecking machine throughout. If you want the all good ending, you have to spare every single life you have the option to "not-kill" up until you rescue you're daughter. Yes, that includes the guy who begs for death. After you rescue you're daughter there is no longer a way to save people and everybody has to die to progress.

The best achievement in the game is 9-iron and pretty much the strongest link to the first game that doesn't involve shoehorning new people in. It is unlocked in the Ryan Amusements section. To unlock it Telekinesis the golf-club into the Andrew-Ryan robot's head. The head will pop off and the achievement will unlock.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kid Moe posted:

Sorry for the late reply but so far my favourite characters are Tao, Tager and Ragna. I tried shishigami or whatever and i really couldnt get the hang of him at all, same goes for litchi. Also i'd like to know why after completing some story modes it says ive still got some left to do even though i just played through it normally. Thanks for the thorough reply, dude.

Most story modes, stupidly enough, require you to lose at each fight. When you complete them all 100% you unlock the actual plot of the game which is a Rashomon mish-mash of a bunch of the stories.

Bang Shishigami is pretty difficult as a character anyway, although goddamned hilarious when you pull of his super as the music for the stage changes to a Cheese-Rock anime opening theme.

Litchi is a lockdown character, trapping you in a corner and punishing escape attempts or turtling, who for some stupid reason requires learning really long attack strings as her actual lockdown moves don't deal enough damage/take to long to come out.

Ragna is you're protypical bum-rush fighting game rear end in a top hat. A ton of your moves have insane priority and anything that uses the Drive button heals you. For Ragna its a good idea to learn how to chain together his combos moves as he can launch into more of them really easily. Learn how to reliably pull of that dash-forward stab move he has. He hits hard with normal blows so memorizing complicated combo strings isn't particularly essential and he is pretty easy to wreck unaware people online with.

Tager is, honestly, either the easiest or hardest character to play as. His throws are utterrly devestating, and online its often impossible due to lag to break out from them. Keep in mind the Atomic Sledge attack ignores projectiles and has pretty high priority. Don't be afraid to close distance with it. His drive technique, magnetism, is with practice all but a garaunteed win in online if your opponent can't break throws. They keep getting sucked back to you and you keep throwing them. Keep in mind he has no air dash, is slow as poo poo, and doesn't exactly combo so great. against V-13 you're likely going to lose as that match up is bullllsshiiitttt.

Tao is, well, a mix-up character. To play her most effectively get used to learning long, long combo strings as her attacks to poo poo damage. Keep in mind that each of the buttons you use with the Tao projectile attack produce projectiles that behave differently. Her drive button lets her fly around the screen, and holding down on the d-pad lets her crawl under a bunch of moves including almost all of Jin's attacks, including his ice-car. Keep in mind that as Tao if you become predictable, you get dead. Do the same thing three times in a row and you should expect your opponent to unleash rape on your face since she doesn't have a lot of health.

If you're really fresh to fighting games and think you might someday want to dabble in others, learn Jin. He has a gigantic, gigantic movepool, and includes moves, techniques, styles, and button presses of almost every type. Also, Jin n Juice is how I roll.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 3, 2010

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You can't break his command throws period. Also he combos pretty loving well if he has any meter or has a Volt Spark ready.

I think the general rule of the thumb for Tager is be careful and once you have Magnetism its time to unleash the true power of SOVIET SCIENCE!

Although I will admit I blanked on the command throws. God I hate those things when he has magnetism.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zombieman posted:

I've just picked up Dragon Age: Origins for the Xbox 360. Any tips? (Other than "play the PC version!", as my PC is below spec.)

#1 most important thing in the game, in the Brecilian Forest is an elf shop who sells unlimted Elf-Roots and Flasks. This means infinite cheap healing potions of which you will use a ridiculous amount.

#2 Your mages must learn the healing spell. Make them learn it. It is vital and keeps you alive.

#3 The order the game expects you to go is Redcliff, Mages Tower (when it offers or when you finish Redcliff your choice), Brecilian Forest, and then Orgrimar.

#4 The mage's tower is a loving gauntlet of epic proportions, a large part of which your main will have to solo. KEEP AN rear end-TON OF HEALING POTIONS. Once you enter the tower you can no longer leave until you finish the questline.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 13, 2010

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Draile posted:

Can you leave before the solo part? I remember the door getting locked behind you as soon as you go in.

Actually, I think you're right. As soon as you enter you're completely prevented from leaving. Updated to reflect that.

God that tower was poo poo design.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mercedes posted:

Anyone have any good info for Bayonetta?

Dodge Dodge Dodge. You can dodge in a combo, you can dodge in the air, you can dodge on a bike, you can dodge anywhere. You will not survive if you do not get dodging down. If you have a handle on the dodge mechanic and learn to time yourself, you get witch time which is effectively crazy rape mode.

All the parts of a record to make a new weapon are in the same level. If you're missing a piece at the end you likely missed a side area.

Druga, the lightinging/flame weapon is beastly and makes fighting Grace and Glory enemies (the creatures that wield druga like claws) far easier.

The plot is godawful. Skip it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JaKyJe posted:

Final Fantasy XIII for the Xbox 360

I've only played Final Fantasy X, is this game going to make me want to stick a file in my eye?

Most likely yes.

The game pulls no punches about the fact that it treats you like a retarded younger brother for about 20 hours, and doesn't even offer you the full experience until you've beaten it.

The plot is terrible, the characters grating, the lack of anything to do but dungeons makes it tedious, and what little control you have is fed to you in bits and pieces over 20 hours. It takes 20 hours before you can set up your own party with its own default setup. Which when the game ads new characters to your party or after plot even the game then conveniently erases forcing you to do the setup work again.

If you want real advice, its Com Rav Rav is the best offensive setup up until you stagger, then its Rav Rav Rav. Sent-Med-Med is the best healing and defense but for the main game 90% of the time you're better off using Com Med Med to heal.

Don't sell items without consulting a guide, a few of them are one time only.

Potions seem useful since they heal the whole party, but magic is infinite and doesn't waste an attack so potions are only situational at best.

Libra everything as once you've done so you're party will always choice super effect attacks if available.

Sazh, despite being the only interesting character, has the most gimped stats and you should never ever use him if you have a choice.

You are not earning any XP at the beginning of the game until you crash-land in a frozen lake. Skip every fight you can until that point.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Buy a different game, seriously, it's awful despite having a couple of okay ideas. But in all seriousness, balance your upgrades of your scythe and crosses, since both are potentially useful. Also, most bosses are only vulnerable for a very limited time, you'll know when, since there's usually a pretty big visual clue. Otherwise, play very defensively.

On normal difficulty there is absolutely no reason to level anything but holy. The cross devastates enemies and can wreck bosses, the only exception being the rare magician enemy and the second form of the final boss. That path also gives you a healing spell that costs very little magic that also boosts your defense for a period after using it.

Once you max out holy, go unholy as the scythe upgrade is worth it if you plan to complete higher difficulties. The majority of the game would still be cakewalk on any difficulty so long as the cross is fully upgraded.