Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
And for the Fallout/Deus Ex crowd: Save constantly.
Before you leave a town, save. Fallout
Going to turn a corner, there's probably a robot/surveillance camera/guy with sniper rifle, shotgun pointed at your head nearby

Conserve explosive weapons- Deus Ex
Your basic pistol is your best friend throughout the game. It will always be useful for some purpose, whether it's popping some perps head or triggering traps.- Deus Ex

Use tactics and knowledge from other games to the new game you are playing- all games

That door/closet/weapon sitting all by itself probably has an imp or zombie right behind/next to it- Doom 3

When in doubt, a 6x6 grid is your best friend- SimCity 2000 (old, but I was just playing this game at work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

Arzy posted:

Fallout 3

If you want to play the game on easy mode tag Energy Weapons and complete the "Replicated Man" quest in Rivet City and get the Android's Plasma Rifle. Turns the game into a complete joke. If you have the right perks, you basically 1 or 2 shot everything.

I like Lincoln's Repeater myself. Also, is there any point to "Lincoln's Voice" and the other Lincoln thing?

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

Nocturne Sabre posted:

Based on my own experiences as a young lad so ymmv:

For one the best way to get money without grinding is to level up All materia...

If I remember right, 1.5 million gil. It's funny going to some total dive potion store and selling that thing for its full price. What I used to do was go to some store and buy a bunch of "All" materia, then equip your characters with double and triple rate materia growth weapons and armor. Even better is when you master a materia, you get another one of it (back to no experience, though) AND the mastered materia. I found the best/easiest way to level up was an island called Mideel or something like that. Once you get to a certain level, those monsters do essentially no damage to you and give you thousands of experience points and 200-300AP (materia leveling experience)a pop. Couple that with 2x/3x materia growth, and you're set.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
...and expensive as gently caress!

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

Pi Soup posted:

Luxury goods are stupidly good to trade with other cultures, so if you're big on diplomacy try to take as many luxuries as you can.

In the later era, you can trade these (and technologies) to other countries for hundreds of gold a turn. You'll never have to worry about money again if you play your cards right.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

Sentient Toaster posted:

It's been way too long for me, but I think I remember a laser sight mod in a bunker-like room in the area around the statue. Something about that and a bug that causes it to make the pistol perfectly accurate. Or was that the scope mod? That and pistol training to up the damage will give you a useful tool against all kinds of junk.

As for augs, it's hard to go wrong with power recirculator, regen and aggressive defense. It's a shame I don't remember more about it.

I loved me the pistol in that game. I used it even at the last part of the game. I never bothered with the stealth pistol.

Yeah, if you keep walking to the right, there's a bunker place that has a laser sight. It's right next to a place where a mercenary and 2 guards talk by a park bench. There will be a guard patrolling the outside and another inside. To get the laser sight, you have to use a multitool to deactivate the electric field.

My skill set was always: lockpick, pistols, and hacking. I use those skills non-stop throughout the game.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
Both Anna and Gunther have kill phrases that you can use to not have to fight them. I think they are found when you hack their terminals or find some e-mails. I never found Gunther's kill phrase, but you can cheat killing him.

At a point just before you have to fight him, just throw LAMs and fire GEP rounds as he's trying to talk to you. He'll never even attack.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
Stack Final Attack with Life2, so when you die, your character revives themself.

Mime is the greatest thing ever. You can do repeated chains of huge summons, like Knights of the Round.

Find the store that sells "All" materia and hook them all up to a character that has 2x/3x materia growth. Once that materia is mastered, just keep mastering All and you never have to worry about money again.

I really didn't mess around too much with the Added Effect/Elemental, because it hosed me over a few times with bosses that were healed with that poison/fire/lightning/etc perk.

The Enemy Skill materia is the best thing to acquire. There's one monster thing that does a spell called healing wind or white wind that puts Barrier+MBarrier and heals your entire party in one shot.

Ted Stevens fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 6, 2010

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
I forgot about the 2x/4x materia. There's also a slash-all materia that come in handy with large groups of enemies.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

HaroldofTheRock posted:

When a worker finishes his building offscreen, he will tell you "Job's finished" or something similar. If you press the space bar at that point, the screen will jump to him.

Holy crap, I've been playing that game for the better part of 10 years (granted, I stopped a while ago), and I never knew this.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
For Fallout 2, I have one thing to say. SAVE. Save constantly. You're entering a town, save. You see something shiny that you want to steal off someone. Save. You're going out exploring the wasteland, save. This game just plain hates you. You will die. A lot. Even when you're at level 20 with power armor, you never know when someone with a plasma weapon will make a critical hit on you or your teammate(s) and kill you dead.

I tagged Big Guns, Stealing, and I think lockpicking. For me, those are the most important skills. But, I constantly steal from everyone and pick locks; It's good to have those skills 100% ASAP. And early in the game I use small guns. You can pick up a lot of Guns N Ammo books to increase your skill in that. I like big guns because later in the game you'll find the Bozar which annihilates anything short of people in power armor. It's nice and it uses the very abundant .223 ammo. They call it a sniper rifle, but it fires in 15 round bursts.

This game is all about exploration, talking to everybody, and reading the wacky conversations. Piss some people off for the hell of it. I've played this game a number of times and each time I play it, I find something new. A number of people can teach you skills like hand to hand combat, melee combat, and others. After you beat the (lovely) temple, you can talk to a couple tribals and learn some skills, one of the guys can make you a sharpened spear, which is much more powerful than the regular spear.

When you get to The Den, piss off Flick. There's a funny conversation you can have with him before you kill him. He usually has some good weapons on him (.44 handgun, stimpacks, money, hunting rifle, etc.). Then, kill Tubby just to the north of him. You'll really have some firepower after killing those two.

Speaking of that, you can never have too many stimpacks. I've burned through 10 stimps just in one heated battle. Also, poison antidotes and Radaway, lots of Radaway.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
Walk up to bartender in Fallout 2:

mmm dink! :drool:

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

Dr Snofeld posted:

I love this thread. In an platonic manner, I mean.

Theme Hospital, of all things? Playing for the first time in the better part of a decade, and I ran out of money on the second level.

God, it's been a long time for me, but here are some things:

You should always be making money hand over fist after the first year or so. In the beginning, if I don't have enough money, I take out a ton of loans. You should be able to pay them off fairly quickly.

Always hire all the best nurses and doctors. You can really win a better market share/the level by that fact alone. From what I remember, all the hospitals pull from the same labor market. So having a couple extra doctors in the hospital helps. Also, in case of an emergency, they can pick up the extra slack if other doctors are busy. Also, they get all the dregs/malpractice-waiting-to-happen doctors.

In the earlier levels, always have at least 2 GP offices and in later ones, 4+. This is REALLY important in later levels.

Dedicate specific sections of the hospital for certain tasks. For instance: have one wing dedicated to GP offices/cardio/psych/general diagnosis, then another for treatments like inflator room/slack tongue, and another for things like surgery. The training rooms can be completely away from everything else. Just put a staff room near, so they don't apend most of their time going back and forth for breaks.

Speaking of that, make your staff take a break when they're only 40% tired. It will save a lot of headaches (and raise demands) in later games.

Have a big bathroom with lots of stalls and keep a 1:1 ratio of sinks to toilets. If you have a tiny bathroom, things get really messy REALLY quick.

In the later levels, have handyman dedicated to specific things like cleanup, another for fixing machinery, and watering plants. Have many of them, handymen are cheap.

Put the overwhelming majority of your research into case equipment and diagnosis equipment. Put a good chunk into specialization (in later levels), and improvements last.

Speaking of that, spare no expense in your research department. Hire anyone with any researcher skill. The great thing about that is that these researchers double as regular doctors, so they can pick up the slack.

Hire all surgeons, no matter what. Even if they're Dr. Nick, having a poo poo surgeon is better than not having the required 2 to perform the operation and end up killing patients.

Epidemics suck. I think there's a bug with that one, because I've failed the epidemic part many times for times where I quarantined all the sickos.

That's all I can think of at this time...

Ted Stevens fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

Random Hajile posted:

I've always liked having a full 10 action points. After you get the Bonus Rate of Fire perk, it lets you make two aimed shots or bursts per round.

Also, the .223 pistol is your friend. Find it, love it.

I always liked the .44 magnum and later with speed loader. 4AP per shot and 2 to reload. Some perk drops that down to 3AP a shot and the speed loader drops the reload to 1AP. It decimates any unarmored or lightly armored things. The ammo is very abundant.