Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

sexual rickshaw posted:

Anyone have any tips for Devil May Cry 4 or Spellforce 2?

Change the shooting controls with Nero to a shoulder button like L1 instead of Square. This allows you to charge shots all the way up while you're fighting normally, then you can release L1 at anytime and unload a huge attack at will.

Also, don't try to do everything with Dante at once or you'll feel like he really sucks compared to Nero. Once you get familiar with his strengths he's actually quite a bit more powerful.

Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow
These games are very similar and they run together in my head so my advice might not pertain to the one you're playing at the moment. Biggest piece of advice: Save often! It refills your health and saves your progress, it's never a bad idea to save. I remember getting a lot of use out of the Witch, Mandragora, and the Erinys souls. I believe these were all in Dawn. The Witch has a homing ranged attack, and the Mandragora and Erinys are both close range blast attacks. Also, Death is probably the hardest boss in both of these games.

edit: There was a new page! I'm smart. It bears repeating though, map it to L1.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I just got Uncharted from Gamefly and am looking for anything I should know before I start it up.

I remember in the PS3 thread some people mentioning the game is actually harder on easy because the game discourages turtling in one spot and shooting. I couldn't remember whether people recommended starting out on Normal or Hard, though.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 7, 2009

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Kuno posted:

I doubt either of them are particularly complicated games but No More Heroes and Mario Galaxy are coming in the mail tomorrow, anything to watch out for?

Congratulations, you just got the two best games on the Wii!

When you get to the end of No More Heroes choose the "Real ending" as it's just an extended version of the "Ending." The "Ending" is literally the first minute of the real ending followed by credits.

As for Mario, Mario moves way faster when he is long jumping (crouch while running then jump). This'll make the foot races in the game considerably easier. Back flipping at a wall then jumping off and spinning can get you up onto most high walls. Finally, on the really difficult water race in the trial galaxy, the timer shows 1:30 as the best time, but you have an entire 3 minutes to complete the race. Take it slow, trust me.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Rueish posted:

Adding to this, make sure you get every beam saber in the game, do not miss one.

It's been a while since I've played this. I got them all. Does something happen at the end if you miss one or was this just a piece of advice completely unrelated to the ending?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I just got Bully: Scholarship Edition for the Wii from Gamefly. Anything in particular I should know? Any side content that I should make sure to see?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I'm going to be playing through Planescape: Torment soon. A friend of mine mentioned that I should start with my intellect (or wisdom) up really high to get the best experience. I don't know anything about the story, so please avoid spoilers in your responses.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Planescape: Torment
I'm just starting out but have a few questions.

I have a lot of items in my inventory that I probably don't need. Should I hold on to all of these notes and bracelets and earrings that I'm picking up? Do I get a storage of some kind?

I can't seem to rest anywhere. Do I have to use bandages or wait out all the damage I take? Where is resting available?

Should I be taking notes down on paper for myself, or will the Journal be able to guide me along throughout the game?

This is probably the first game I've ever played that feels like more emphasis was placed on story than gameplay. I've only just started talking to people around Sigil, but the world is incredibly immersive. Some of the conversations go beyond the usual questions and get pretty deep. I'm enjoying this.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Awesome, thanks man.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

A shrubbery! posted:

Unless you're playing with vita-chambers off, don't worry about dying. Ever.

Again unless you're playing with vita-chambers off, the way to deal with big daddies is as follows: hit it until you die, then keep hitting it. When you die, you simply respawn at the vita-chamber with no penalty, and the big daddy retains its HP from before you died. Unless you're far away from a vita-chamber and don't feel like a couple minutes of walking, you never need to worry about using health packs.

Ugh. Don't listen to this. It's accurate information, but the game will be significantly less fun if you just throw yourself at Big Daddies and wack them until they die. My advice: Enjoy the Big Daddy fights. One of the best things about the game is plotting out ways to take them down. You will have a much better time if you setup explosive rigged hallways to lure them into; or fight them in a room with friendly gun turrets while you zap them with electricity to immobilize them; or charm another Big Daddy and have one kill the other; THEN kill the weakened one.

The rest of the advice is helpful. I just don't recommend playing like death doesn't matter. It'd be like playing the Hitman games without using any disguises and just running in guns blazing. While you can technically beat the game that way, you're missing out on all of the fun the game has to offer.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

The Red9 is the best but you have to get a stock for it to be worthwhile. I'm not sure if I could have handled the lack of space my first time through the game, but now whenever I go through it I always use it (along with a TMP, Riot Gun, and Broken Butterfy). I don't remember a specific upgrade for the Butterfly that made it better than the Killer7, just when all is said and done it winds up being more powerful by the end. And you get one for free.

If you're playing on the Wii the stock isn't necessary. It improves aiming precision on the Gamecube and PS2 versions, but doesn't affect the Wii pointer on the Wii version.

Gamefly is sending me Infamous. Any advice? I've heard conflicting advice on whether to do good then evil on hard or vice versa. Also, any advice on how to collect all the trophies in two playthroughs would be helpful.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is this for all stocks? I got the Wii version since I couldn't stand how much time I was spending on aiming (and missing) on the PS2.

Use both Magnums and be glad to have that much ammo at once. Just use the strongest Magnum at the time, for those Garrador. I almost never find the stuff and I hope it isn't so rare on the Wii.

From my experience the stocks on all the guns just make the pointer a bit shaky on the screen instead of completely steady. The aim looks shaky, but you're still able to aim perfectly. Personally, I feel that the slightly shaky reticule is worth the extra inventory space.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I'm about really far along in Planescape: Torment and the game has just decided to take a gigantic poo poo on me. I'm fine with a little bit of combat now and then, even though the game is about interacting with all sorts of different characters. Currently, I'm banging my head against the wall dying repeatedly for no apparent reason.

I'm currently in the Curst Prison and I've probably died about 30 times. I keep making progress little by little, but it doesn't seem like it's going to end anytime soon. I got the sword to free Trias, but then a group of guards killed my entire party, so now noone except me has any equipment. I really don't feel like dying another 20 or so times just to get their equipment back. Am I going to have to fight like this many more times in the game? This is pretty much ruining the game for me at this point.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Corridor posted:

I don't think I can help you much, but just so you know, that place is a huge loving oval office and I had to save/reload pretty much every goddamn battle so my characters wouldn't end up dead in inconvenient places. I think it's where I quit the first time. Curst isn't you having hosed up your build, it's the game, and I don't think there is any easy way around it. As awesome as the writers were, they weren't so good at programming and game balancing. It's the reason why I tell people there's no shame in cheating a little here and there (although many PST hardcore fans will disagree). :shobon:

Maybe Annah can sneak past and grab the equipment and/or pickpocket poo poo? I remember in some areas I just ran/sneaked through the swarms to the exit zone, but I also remember that Curst has a lot of locked doors and armed dudes carrying keys.

Thanks for the response. I was thinking I had hosed myself over because I missed a few areas where I could level up a bit more prior to coming to Curst. Most of the time in this game it's been 5 or 6 guys on my side versus 2-3 bad guys, this area just turned that on its head though. Now there's 7 or 8 of them and all of their hits seem to get through :(. I'll push on though. I am immortal after all.

When I met up with Trias, I thought he sounded just like the actor who plays Jane's dad on Breaking Bad. Imdb confirms, it's the same dude. Also, Tony Jay! :black101:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Awesome. Thanks.

After getting in some serious fights in the prison I was trying to run for the goal and that was the worst thing I could've done. I ended up with a bunch of groups of guys that had to be killed through persistence. I'm glad to hear that the rest of the game isn't going to be a dungeon crawl.

I really like the story in this game, but dislike the gameplay in general. It's one of the few games where I feel like the less you actually "play" or in this game, fight, the better. Fortunately the vast majority of the game is spent in conversation, otherwise I would've stopped playing long ago.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I'm really early in the game, but so far I don't seem to be getting points to use on skills when I level up. When do I start getting those, and which skills are the most useful?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

The wiki is down, so I'm sorry for what is almost surely a repeat question.

I'm playing GTAIV finally, and was just wondering if there's anything in particular to do/not do at any point in the game.

I remember reading somewhere, possibly in this thread, that agreeing to go out with someone and then calling to cancel the plans is less damaging to social links than outright declining invitations.

Anything else? It seems like I only get icons on the map if I've been to that area, is that the case with all of the paynsprays and food joints in the game?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Mass Effect

A few questions:

Is there a way to change your party without returning to the Normandy and leaving?

When should I fit in the Bringing Down the Sky DLC? I've done the Dig site, and was going to go to Feros and then Noveria, but I wasn't sure when I'm good to do the Asteroid.

Will doing too many side quests make the game too easy, or too few make it too difficult?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Cool, thanks for the replies. I didn't want to end up in a situation where I can't win and I can't leave.

One more quick question:

When I find something that says I can't decrypt it, does that just mean a character in my party doesn't have a high enough skill or does my player character need to have that skill? As far as I can tell I can't even train in that with the soldier.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Holistic Detective posted:

I just picked up Dead Space on steam for :10bux:, anything I need to know before starting/tips to maximise my enjoyment of the game?

I've heard several times that the game is almost unplayable on the pc unless you turn on/off a certain option. Hardware cursor possibly, I'm sure someone else can chime in.

As for the game itself:

For the most part, you get ammo based on what you have with you. It's a good idea to limit yourself to 2 weapons instead of carrying around an arsenal. The plasma cutter is the first weapon you get and one of the best weapons in the game. I used the plasma cutter and the force gun and it worked well throughout the entire game.

I'd steer clear of the ripper and the flamethrower the first time through. They look cool, but aren't as easy to use effectively as some of the other guns.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Don't bother upgrading the sword. Later in the game you get a better sword, and it comes fully upgraded.

This is all good advice except I disagree with this. You get a better sword at the very very end of the game. If I remember correctly, you get it and then the final boss fight is available to you.

Therefore, I would say that if you dig the sword, upgrade it and use it throughout the game. I used it and don't regret it even though you do get a better one just before the ending.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I already looked at that knife. I can tell she was making jelly sandwiches right before I found her. Is it bad that I know this?

I had to fight him because I was locked in a room with him and he has Cloud's sword from FF7. Plinking bullets off his hat made him move in slow-mo so he couldn't land the Omnislash. Then he drowned himself.

Your description of Silent Hill 2 is fantastic. I'm picturing that showdown with Pyramid Head in a whole new light. (It's looking more like a DMC cutscene)

As to the knife... Now that you know about the Jelly Sandwiches you can't UNKNOW it. Even if you reload to a save before you looked at it, YOU will still know. Think about that. Good luck thinking about anything but that.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Whoever can maintain that page might want to change a few things. Chronicles is misspelled at the top, but more importantly there are Valkyrie Profile tips in the middle of the page about endings.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Don't get Force Storm. No matter what kind of jedi you choose to be, you'll just end up spamming it repeatedly until everything around you is dead. It trivializes the game (at least on lower difficulties - there are difficulties, right?).

The same can be said about Force Speed. If I remember correctly it makes you attack more quickly AND gives you additional swings with each swing. What I mean is, when it's maxed out each swing you take counts for 3 or 4 individual swings. With a great Lightsaber you can basically kill the last boss in one or two swings.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

You people have no idea what you're talking about. Force Storm is only overpowered in the second one and force speed is pretty much essential.

I'm not saying he shouldn't take it, just that playing through the second time with it maxed out made it too easy to murder everything. I think I enjoyed the game more the first time with some skills that weren't incredibly useful.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Zvahl posted:

As for other tips, if you have a Classic controler, use the hell out of it for the minigames. It was infinitely less frustrating for me that way. Pick one that you like and that is moderately fast, and just do it over and over again to make money. I liked the first exterminator game, but if you're good at them and they aren't hideously long, any of them should be fine. The Space junk minigame is apparently the best, but I was godawful at it.

The amount of money you get from winning Space Junk is based on the amount of time left on the clock when you bring in the last clump of junk. To get the most out of it, you should bring in all of the junk except for the last piece and intentionally die to restart the clock. Then with a bunch of time left on the clock, you bring in the last piece and get a really big time bonus.

In my opinion, the bonus is only big enough to be worth the hassle on the last stage of Space Junk, so just blaze through the first 3-4 without dieing and trying for the bonus.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Little Blue Couch posted:

So Planescape Torment, right? I'm pretty much just gonna pour all my initial stat points into Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma. Anything else I oughta know? Also, should I install the restoration pack that like adds the missing spells and quests in, or should I just patch in some bugfixes and then play it vanilla?

There's a lot of information here: http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/PlanescapeTorment

My advice would be to talk to everybody and really appreciate all of the work that went into creating the setting. The combat isn't great, but the story is very interesting and pretty much sets the bar for "Amnesia plagued main character."

As for gameplay, I would recommend using a mod that lets you rest anywhere. It uses a DND ruleset which basically means you have to memorize spells to "load" them before you can use them. If you load up 5 magic missile spells, you can use 5 before you have to rest to reload. The game is kind of particular about where you can and can't rest, so a rest anywhere mod takes a lot of tedious walking to and from restworthy areas out of the game.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

SEE

When I was trying to decide all I could find were pages and pages of this. You people :unsmigghh:

But really it mostly comes down to the fact that Twin Snakes is really expensive and hard-to-find nowadays and the PS1 version is neither.

I don't know about calling Twin Snakes awful. They messed with the music and some of the cutscenes, but the core gameplay is the same if I remember correctly. In fact, didn't the guards actually have to call in an alert like in mgs2? If so, I'd say it's better in that respect. It looks fantastic also. I have fond memories of both MGS and the Gamecube Remake.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

21stCentury posted:

Getting the original Super Mario Galaxy.

This seems to be a straightforward game, but i'm just wondering if there's anything I should know.

The best piece of advice I can think to give on this game is that you move more quickly by long jumping than by just running flat out. There's a few timed bits and races, and they are all much easier if you take to long jumping instead of just running. The long jump is really useful for getting around in general also. Once you get a good feel for how far you can go with it you'll find it comes in handy pretty often.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Bloodcider posted:

- You have two chances to pick up the SOCOM pistol early on before the game automatically gives you one. You can get it in the truck in the heliport, or if you miss it there, the north-east room on the second floor of the tank hanger. Thermal Goggles will be here if you get the Socom outside.

I've played through MGS a million times, but I've never not grabbed the pistol from the truck or the goggles from the hangar. I had no idea that it was in other spots also. It's crazy to still be learning new stuff about that game this many years later.

I'm a few hours into Yakuza 3. It's pretty straightforward, but there's a few little things that I'm curious about.

I spent a bunch of time winning a stuffed animal in a crane machine, what can I do with this? It wouldn't let me give it to Haruka.

I've got some fish and snails that I caught from fishing, I can't eat them, will I be able to cook them or something later on?

There's so much to buy to eat and drink in the game. I realize that food restores health. Is there any in particular that is particularly useful? The ramen noodles I bought restored about half of my health. Also, when I drank something alcholic I had a little "drink icon" on the screen, but nothing about the game seemed different. What does drinking do?

How can one man be so wholesome while being so badass?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Hussar posted:

Finally going to try and be serious about playing Planescape Torment. I plan on using this mod guide: http://www.gog.com/en/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide/ before I start, but outside of that I'm unfamiliar with the game.

I've played the first 30 minutes or so before and that's it. So, what do I need to know?

site:forums.somethingawful.com intitle:"what should i know" "game name"

Throw this in google and you should find numerous lengthy posts from this thread with lots of advice.

Best advice is to realize you're playing the game for the story, because the combat isn't very good. Talk to everybody, there's lots of interesting stuff going on.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

standardtoaster posted:

Any thing I should know about Diablo 2? Never played it, but I'm about to.

clickclickclickclickclickclickclick

There's a ton of information about character builds in Diablo 2 out there. I'd suggest checking out a few builds of whatever character you're interested in making just so that you don't dump points into skills that aren't very useful.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Monicro posted:

Turn it to hard when you unlock spears because that's the only way to give anything else a chance.

You can hit the bullet hell orbs that bosses shoot at you to refill your magic bar, which can be helpful since you'll be doing the meat of damage against bosses with it.

No, it doesn't get any happier. No matter how much depressing poo poo happens, rest assured that Cavia will top it.

I just passed the halfway point and I went back to using the Beastbain 1h sword from the first half because it hits in an arc in front of the character instead of just directly in front like the spear does. What am I missing here?

It's actually a polearm, are you talking about a different weapon? Also, is Dark Wall useful? I don't see what it does exactly.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Awesome. Thanks for the info, guys. Nier is a pretty excellent game so far. The only bit I've gotten annoyed with is the room where you couldn't run.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

You can kinda game the upgrade system a bit in Vanquish. Hopefully I can explain this where it makes sense:

You get a weapon upgrade if you pick up the same weapon while you have full ammo.

If you're running around with an assault rifle w/ around half ammo and you find an assault rifle pickup you can either pick it up which refills the ammo OR you can find another weapon pickup to swap out your non full ammo assault rifle, pick up the assault rifle pickup which will give you an assault rifle with full ammo THEN go pick up your original assault rifle which will upgrade it by one level because your equipped gun has full ammo.

Basically instead of picking up a gun and refilling your ammo, you swap the gun out, pick up the full ammo gun, then pick up your old gun to get a free upgrade.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

Any tips on Castlevania Lords of Shadow? Especially routes, I just got to the swamp and there are so many branching routes I have no idea where I'm supposed to go (which is where I don't want to go, exploring for secrets :D). Also Marvel vs Capcom 3 should be arriving via post soon so any tips on that would be appreciated as well.

The branching routes chill out in the latter half of the game. Unfortunately there's no map system so you just have to guess and hope you picked a side route early on.

If you're getting frustrated with the combat, kick it down to easy. I had way more fun with the game once I did that. There's one last Titan to fight after the first few. If you don't know what to do once you're on it, I recommend looking up the fight on youtube and following along. Climbing around on that thing doesn't make a lot of sense and the game doesn't tell you where the weak points are.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ZebTM posted:

I wouldn't even put it in the top 3 Zelda games to be honest. Maybe even the lowest three if we ignore stuff like the game&watch and CDi games.

Man, I know people have different tastes in games but I can't even begin to comprehend this point of view. If this isn't just trolling, I'd sincerely like to know what you don't like about it.

I understand why people either love or hate Majora's Mask, but A Link to the Past has been nearly universally revered with good reason. Majora's Mask is also the poo poo btw.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Dayewalker posted:

I just finished up Assassin's Creed 2 and was about to start Brotherhood later today. I didn't see anything listed in the wiki, but is there anything in particular I should know going in or is it just more of the same?

Don't stress yourself out trying to get 100% sync on everything the first time through. Several of them require you to make it through a long area you've never seen before in a limited amount of time, while others require you to do long sequences of platforming and combat without taking any damage. Do the ones that seem interesting your first time through and skip these others. One of the cool features that Brotherhood added is the ability to replay memories after you've passed them in the story. If you can't do a sequence that requires not being seen for 100%, just fight your way through and come back to it later on.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Decrepus posted:

I just picked up Dawn of War II and its expansion. I don't really care for grinding so I usually run straight toward the objectives killing everything in my path but never sweep the map to kill everything for xp and drops. Is this going to come back and bite me in the rear end?

I've just started playing it so I'd like some advice also. It introduces the main guys that you play as but I don't feel like I know what do with them yet. The missions take me way longer than I think they should cause I'm trying to play really tactically when I could get away with guns blazing most of the time.

Also, I'm playing on easy cause I'm a giant rts wuss who is terrible at them. I like them, but I'm really bad at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

AASman posted:

What is the best way to replay Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors on Nintendo DS if you get a bad ending? I know you can fastforward through text by pressing right on the d-pad. Are you suppose to start over from the beginning or use the chapter select? Absolutely no spoilers please.

I think that you should play through it just choosing whatever seems best to you the first 2-3 times. After that, you can look up a spoiler free ending guide that will tell you what to do in order to see the entirety of the story. Great game :)

Also, the game will gray out choices that you've already made, so that you can see a different experience than you did last time. The only thing that gets tedious is having to redo some of the puzzle rooms several times. Fortunately, I've heard that the sequel improves the game by allowing you to skip past puzzles you've already worked out on a previous playthrough.