Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

Secret Ooze posted:

I just picked up Earth Defense Force 2017 for $3 at a garage sale today, and you guys have given some awesome tips for everything so far.

My buddy and I have played an unreasonable amount of this game, so here are some of the things I've noted.

- You do not have a reload button, but you do have infinite ammo. If at any time you aren't under attack and you don't have a full magazine, just fire into space until you reload. There's nothing more terrifying than running out of ammo when you're surrounded by spiders.

- Turrets are amazing, and are always worth taking as they effectively add another player who cannot be damaged and has a kickass machine gun. They won't target weak points though, so they really can't take out anything that requires you to hit a specific point to inflict damage (e.g. UFOs).

- Weapons drop randomly based on the stage you are playing, so if you want something specific you can check the drop chart (I believe Gamefaqs has a detailed list) and do that until you get it. A few things I highly recommend are the Lysander Z, ZEXR-Gun, Stingray MF and AF100.

- Armor drops give you the same amount on any difficulty level (1.2 per icon), so if you want to farm up your HP I'd recommend doing it on Easy.

- The Health display stops at 9999, but your actual max HP can go higher than that. I have no idea what the actual cap is, and you should never need to go that high, but it's an option if you're stuck.

- Rolling is faster than walking. If you need to get somewhere in a hurry, turn slightly to the side and start repeatedly rolling in that direction.

- The final stages in Hardest and Inferno are horribly brutal, and you need to play them differently than you did the lower difficulties. Farm up health, bring turrets, and keep your distance. When a tide of bugs approach, just throw out your turrets, activate them, and start rolling in the opposite direction. A good setup for most levels would be for P1 to have the Stingray MF/ZEXR-Gun and for P2 to have a Lysander Z/ZEXR-Gun. P1 tries to thin out swarms while P2 goes for critical targets like UFOs or artillery robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

Anything for Too Human?

Basically what you want are tips on how to avoid dying constantly.

- You are completely, 100% invulnerable while dodge-rolling. Yes, Even to damage over time effects like poison and being on fire, or to area of effect attacks like explosions. Rolling straight into a volley of missiles is safer than trying to run away. No, it doesn't make sense. Few things about this game do.

- Stack Armor bonuses on your equipment, it's better than other mitigation effects.

- Berserkers hit hard, but die ridiculously fast if you ever stop moving. Bounce around like a pinball of doom and you'll do much better. Or just play a Commando and keep shooting while backpedaling, it's all good.

- The miniboss of the final level is a pain in the rear end if you haven't built up any ranged weapon skills.

If you want anything else, poke your head into the 360 games thread and a certain somebody will give you all the advice you could ever want.

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007
Pretty sure this has been answered before, but it's not in the wiki.

For Dragon Age: Origins: what items can I sell, and what should I hold on to? I've bought every backpack I've found so far, but I'm constantly running into the inventory limit in the middle of dungeons. I've got a whole mountain of crafting and "other" non-gift items that I'm not sure if I actually need for anything.

(If it matters for any reason, I'm playing a sword & shield human warrior and am trying to be a nice guy.)

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

I picked up more games on the cheap.

Any advice on:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

I still can't believe I went through the trouble of beating this on the highest difficulty, but I might as well put what I learned to some use and try to make this less painful for you.

- Force Throw easily the most powerful tool at your disposal. Only resort to lightsaber combat if your opponents are immune to being thrown and there's nothing to throw at them. You can kill jetpack troopers with throw by slamming them into walls. Everybody else you can throw should be directed to the nearest chasm.

- Force Lightning is useful for stunning enemies who can be electrocuted. Using it for damage generally takes way more force power than is worth it though, so just shock someone to stun them and get back to throwing or, if there's nothing to throw, slashing it with your blade.

- Never stop moving if there's an enemy with knockdown attacks in range. And seemingly everything in this game other than blaster-wielding stormtroopers has knockdown attacks. Aside from preserving your health, this is important because the Apprentice has no invincibility frames like you might find in better games from this genre. You can get knocked down again while you're in the middle of a recovery animation (and most knockdown attacks are unblockable, so your only defense is to not be where it hits). You can get stunlocked, and a full bar of health will be gone in seconds.

- QTEs are not random, and will follow the general pattern of the buttons on your controller (e.g. if the next move involves your lightsaber, you'll use the lightsaber button. Lightning attacks will use the lightning button, etc.)

- Offscreen enemies can and will shoot at you. This is infuriating (particularly if they're using a projectile attack that can knock you down), and is all the more reason why you need to be moving at all times.

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007
Picked up Majesty 2 on the Steam sale. Neat idea for a game, albeit incredibly rough around the edges. Anything I should know about it in general? I've also got some more specific questions.

I've played a few campaign missions so far and one thing that drives me nuts is that there are constantly monsters in my town. I see the sewer entrances they come out of, but it says I can't destroy those. Best I've come up with is to put Guard Towers around them, but that gets expensive since each one costs more than the last. The monsters don't seem to ever actually hurt my economy in a significant way, but the constant red circles on the minimap are seriously annoying.

Also, there's no way to make it so only certain types of heroes go after a flag, is there? I'm thinking of stage 4 or 5 when you have to take out that castle with all the mage towers around it. The answer's pretty clearly to send Dwarves at it, but since I can't specify all I can do is watch everyone else rush it and get slaughtered while waiting for the Dwarves to wander over and do their thing. I won handily, but it seemed really absurd and would have been a problem if that wasn't the end of the mission.

Finally, what's the benefit of parties? Guys already seem to cooperate just fine on their own if they're in the same area. For how difficult it seems to be to corral the guys I want near the same Inn it really doesn't seem worthwhile.

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

Jolo posted:

I just passed the halfway point and I went back to using the Beastbain 1h sword from the first half because it hits in an arc in front of the character instead of just directly in front like the spear does. What am I missing here?

It's actually a polearm, are you talking about a different weapon? Also, is Dark Wall useful? I don't see what it does exactly.

Spears are entire class of weapons (the other two being 1H and 2H "swords"). You can tell what class a weapon is by looking through your inventory. The initial spear isn't obviously unbalanced, but later ones are much faster than 2H swords and only slightly less damaging.

What you're missing is that spears become insanely unfair when you stop pressing X and start pressing Y (special attack). Instead of the normal thrust you instantly do a fast forward lunge that breaks through guard in one or two hits, knocks off tons of armor, and knocks enemies off their feet. It also hits a much wider and deeper cone in front of you than the standard thrust, so you can reliably hit a huge number of guys at once with it. You can do it from the air if you want, and it will move you in the process so ranged enemies will almost always miss. You can do this as often as you want with no restrictions. Basic enemies become trivial no matter how many dozens of them the game throws at you, and even most bosses will just melt in front of you.

The spear lunge also keeps you moving forward, unlike the swords, so you can keep killing enemies and move toward your goal at the same time. Even if you're not in a fight you can rotate between lunging and rolling to cut down on travel time.

Everything about spears is entirely unfair once you understand how to use them.

Khurath fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 18, 2011

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007
Just started Fallout: New Vegas, and aside from the tips on the wiki I'm looking for answers to two sort of mundane character management questions.

1. Is there anywhere I can acquire a stable base of operations (a la the Megaton house or Tenpenny apartment in FO3?), and if so where/how do I start the quest line to get it? I need some place to drop all my extra loot.

2. Are there any seemingly mundane items that I should grab whenever I see them in the field? I'm particularly thinking of things like Sugar Bombs, Blood Packs or Pre-War Books in FO3, where they're actually much more valuable than their stated value but you wouldn't know it unless you've already encountered the one person who really wants them. If there are other things I'd like to know about those too.

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007
The Mantis Ant is just sort of poo poo like that. If you know he's coming you can grind up to level 2 or 3 and buy some low-level armor before talking to the elder. If you don't, just abuse those revives and get through it.

al-azad posted:

Once your characters learn magic the first thing you should learn yourself is using the quick-keys to select them (assuming you're controlling the boy) and abusing the animation times. It's easy to lock an enemy by constantly spamming magic but enemies can also interrupt your attacks and become invincible during casting as well so watch out.

I'm just going to clarify exactly how you do this, since it's incredibly useful. When you cast a spell from the ring it goes through two stages: summoning an elemental and then the actual spell effect. You can start casting again as soon as the first stage is finished (open the ring and your spirits won't be grayed out anymore), you don't have to wait for the second stage to go off. Attack spells will hold an enemy in place while it's hitting them, with the time varying depending on the spell. The longer the spell's impact animation, the bigger the window you have to stack. Some spells are really short, like Fireball or Earth Slide, and so are more difficult to do this with. Others, like Dark Force, are so long that this is trivially easy to do. Doing this method makes it possible, so long as you have the MP, to stunlock most bosses while also piling on ridiculous amounts of damage.

The caveat to this is that all the different spells will count as one hit for the purpose of damage, and are subject to the 999 damage cap (even if you mix in multiple types of spells). Any damage you do above that won't occur. So you should cast once or twice at the start of each battle to test out how much each individual cast does to that boss, then cast as many as it will take to reach the cap using the above method. Let the damage counter pop up, then start again until you expect to cap again, etc.

This is also really, really useful for grinding spells. All of the spells you stack on count as one hit for damage purposes, but each one counts individually for spell XP even if it's overkill. You can stack a fifty casts on one hapless opponent and get XP much faster than you would if you were to just cast at a normal rate since you have to spend less time looking for targets.

You can level the princess's support magic this way too. Just park yourself in a cheap inn, burn through all of her MP casting on the same target repeatedly (target whoever you aren't controlling, since targeting yourself with force you to wait out the spell animation), then rest when she's tapped out. Her hostile magic still requires you to go out in the field.

Even using this method grinding new spells to a level where they're useful is boring as hell, so load up some podcasts or music or something to make this go easier.

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

Any tips on Castlevania Lords of Shadow? Especially routes, I just got to the swamp and there are so many branching routes I have no idea where I'm supposed to go (which is where I don't want to go, exploring for secrets :D).

If you're stuck, try looking up for a grapple point. Pretty much any time I was stuck that turned out to be the problem. The game's camera is sometimes bad at pointing them out.

Later on in the game you'll be ascending a tower with some electricity currents blocking your path. One of them will seem impassable unless you realize that you can kick off the wall multiple times then pull yourself up and over it with the resulting momentum.

A bit after that you'll be in a large deserted area. When you see a skeleton in a cave, walk up to it then go right. The tunnel continues even though you can't really see it.

Use your subweapons liberally, particularly the daggers. Enemies drop them frequently enough that you'll rarely find yourself short, particularly if you find a capacity upgrade or two.

The heavy direct ground attack combo ability (hold X, then press X up to eight more times) is probably the most overall useful attack. Lots of damage, will stunlock most enemies while you do it, and few enemies can block or counterattack out of it.

edit:

Luminaflare posted:

Actually as an addendum does someone know of a secrets list or something similar?

Hidden items and such? GameFAQs would probably have a few. Anything that can be collected in a stage shows up on the map, so just look for anything that you missed from there and dive in to that specific stage.

Khurath fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 11, 2011

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Dead Rising 1

In addition to the things mentioned in the wiki (which is getting kind of unwieldy and contradicts itself a few times):

- Guns are pretty poo poo in your hands (not including the one that unlocks once you complete Zombie Genocider) due to the game's archaic aiming system. Melee weapons and, later on, your own bare hands are much more effective at clearing out packs of zombies.

- There's a katana (fast, powerful melee) on an awning that you can jump to from the Roastmasters. It will respawn every time you re-enter

- There's one SMG on top of the sign in the Food Court, a second on the overhangs in Paradise Plaza and a second in the fountain in Al Fresca Plaza. Keep these with you to arm female survivors.

- Although there are a ton of weapons available in the game, don't neglect to learn Frank's unarmed repertoire. The Somersault Kick is the best single-target unarmed attack in the game considering how fast it executes, how little recovery time it requires, and how much damage it does. Knowing how to use it makes the true final boss much easier than you'll initially think he is. The Double Lariat is a very efficient way to clear off a pack of zombies. The Knee Drop will allow you to fall from any height without taking damage.

- Weapons do not degrade or spend ammo when a survivor is using them. While most survivors are dumb as a sack of potatoes, a squad of them holding a few shotguns (most healthy young adult or middle age men) or SMGs (most healthy young adult or middle age men or women) can hold a position indefinitely. This is really useful when you don't want them to follow you while you finish off other objectives in the area.

- Disarm your survivors once you reach the rooftop! Take back anything useful (shotguns, SMGs, katanas, unique boss weapons, etc.) by handing that survivor something useless. If you don't have anything, bust open some of the boxes. Once you enter the air duct, anything they're carrying is gone and you'll have to go get new ones.

- A psycho appears in The Hunting Shack starting in the first afternoon. He's a pain the first time you fight him, but keep at it until you win. Once you do you'll have access to a large number of firearms which are useful for passing off to survivors.

- There's an easy way to defeat the psycho at the Wonderland roller coaster that works even if you're just starting the game. First, collect any combination of two shotguns or SMGs. Next, wait outside the entrance to Wonderland Plaza until you get the call informing you about the Japanese tourists. Now enter Wonderland and get the tourists to join your party (if you don't know how: pick up the Basic Japanese phrasebook in the shop you find them in, then talk to them until they join. Take a picture when they bow for large amounts of bonus PP!). Give each of them a gun, then go trigger the roller coaster psycho fight. Place a guard point for the two of them near the base of the stairs to the coaster, then wait near them. When the psycho comes near they'll open fire, causing him to block. With both of them using shotguns or SMGs, they'll keep him locked in his guard animation while slowly chipping away at his health until he dies. (If he breaks away to jump over the balcony, just wait. He's targeting you, so he'll eventually find his way back to the kill zone.) You can't contribute much since you have finite ammo, but it's still funny to watch and trivially easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

zombieman posted:

Any tips for Brutal Legend (360)?

Some tips for the campaign:

- Use pyrotechnics on chained dragon statues (upgrades Eddie's stats) and the earthshaker on the orb-holding beast statues (unlocks additional backstory which will explain some plot points which are otherwise never directly addressed). I don't recall this being explicitly mentioned anywhere in the game and a lot of people in the thread never figured out what to do with them.

- Always be on the front lines double-teaming, playing solos, or driving the Deuce. Nearly every stage battle is easier when playing offensively than it is playing defensively. Carry your rally flag with you and keep your army on you unless they're in the process of taking a fountain.

- The final mission is probably the only exception to the last tip. Take all points, place a rally point in the center of the map such that your army will attack anything that arrives on the field, then turtle until you hit the unit cap. This is because the type and number of enemy deployments depends on how much progress you've made attacking the main objective rather than being bound by the game's regular resource and teching mechanics.

- Double-team with a squad of Groupies if you see the enemy avatar. You can shoot them down surprisingly fast and at reasonably long range.

- When fighting the Drowning Doom, focus on killing their debuffing units (Brides and Organists) first. Their regular troops are better than yours when your guys have a debuff active, but are weaker under normal circumstances. Debuffs apply to you too, so the easiest way to do this is double-team with some Groupies and attack from outside the debuff radius.

- The summoning solo works differently in campaign than it does in skirmishes. Instead of being based on tech levels it's based on whatever hunting sidequest you last completed. Always summon something when a stage battle begins, it will probably be much stronger than tier 1 units and can buy you some breathing room.

- The final solo is on a clifftop in the southern part of the eastern region. Try to find it, because it's both extremely powerful and something you have to see at least once.