Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dongattack posted:

Is there anything i should know before starting Bayonetta?

Don't worry about getting a good score the first time through Normal mode. Just play around, try out all the weapons and have fun. There will be some arcade sections with inverse Y-axis that you can change in the options menu. You can equip some weapons on both hands and feet. If you dodge an attack at the last second, you're going to be invincible for a while - make good use of this. Press select during loading screens to enter training mode. Read the manual.

And for the love of god, don't take the story seriously. Just enjoy the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
You still have to endure the enormous creepy dead doll eyes you find in all heavily anime inspired games, though. I couldn't make it through the first area because of this and the too long inane drat cutscenes. And there are so MANY of them.

:EDIT:
It's even worse than I remembered. Are we actually supposed to like/care for any of these characters? It's just so... stupid. The music alone is enough to drive a guy insane. No amount of alcohol could make this fun to watch.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 21, 2010

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

pseudorandom name posted:

The European version has a lightsaber instead of the mace. :sigh:

Actually you get a mace the first time through the game. When you replay it you can get the lightsaber.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just started playing ME and Wrex is my favorite by far - I just like his grumpy attitude. Ashley was the first to go. I haven't played any other Bioware game, though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 27, 2010

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Press X when you've beaten an enemy to the ground and you'll instantly kick it to death (works on most enemies). Makes the whole game a breeze.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
This might not be the correct thread for this question, but I hope it's close enough.
Is the "Epilogue" DLC for Prince of Persia 2008 worth the price? Does the DLC have a satisfactory ending, or are you just awarded with another cliffhanger?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Hannibal Smith posted:

It's another cliffhanger. The prince does explain his reasoning for doing what he did at the end of the original game in the DLC, but the overall plot doesn't move forward much at all. It's pretty much just a tiny bit of setup for the inevitable sequel.

As for whether it's worth it, that depends on how much you enjoyed the original game. I personally thought it was one of the best games released that year, and I didn't mind paying the price, but if you just thought it was just average or decent, you're probably not going to get much more out of the DLC.

Thanks for the info! Too bad there probably won't be a sequel. I did enjoy the game, though, so I might pick it up anyway. Do you collect light seeds again or is it just a linear thrill ride? How long should it take to finish it?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Barudak posted:

Do you want the good ending? If so you'll want to make sure you talked to your dad twice, took the photograph, and played one of the random lyres hanging around. For the rest of the game, if you see a hookah smoke it, if you have a vision run at the monster as unless its the final one atop the tower at the end of the game (which kills you), some random junk lying about, and helping the homeless. You don't need to do everyone, so pretty much as long as you've done the ones in your hometown you should be pretty good for the rest of the game.

I just beat this game and got the "Bad" ending, and after watching the other ending on Youtube I honestly don't see much of a problem with what I did :colbert: I see what they were going for but I must say the main character must have smoked on the hookah a little too long to do what he did in the "Good" ending.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Talk to your party in Dragon Quest 8 all the time. Talk to them in towns. Talk to them after every loading screen in dungeons. Talk to them on the world map. They almost always have something new to say. By doing this you get some respite from the somewhat repetitive fights and also get to know the characters much better than if you'd only watch the story scenes. The game has two endings, one normal and another that you get by doing some optional quests after you've beaten the game once.

Also tension boosting is completely useless and not worth wasting turns on, at least from my experience.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Kuros posted:

Just a note about DQ8 tension:

Level 1: 1.7x base damage
Level 2: 3x base damage
Level 3: 5x base damage
Level 4(max): 7.5x base damage

So it is worth it if you have the time and you know you won't die from attacks. With some of the later bosses, it's better to have a single huge attack then smaller numerous attacks.

Huh, I didn't know that. I still managed to get both endings, though, perhaps I was over-leveled :shrug:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Quarex posted:

Yes, this is a minor point in your post, but something that seems particularly interesting about Dragon Age: Origins. The only reason I released Sten was because I found it so fascinating that the game had an unabashed (if somewhat apologetic) murderer as a potentially sympathetic figure. If I had been feeling slightly less "oh, what an intriguing artistic decision!" and more "why would I let the murderer out of the cage?" that day, I would have never known he was a party member. It even seems they made it like this so that people more likely to enjoy the style of play that meshes with Sten's personality are also more likely to let him out of the cage, though this may be an insane path of thinking.

I had no idea what party members you could get but Sten absolutely SCREAMED "recruitable character". There's literally no other reason to release him unless you're playing as a psychopathic criminal.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm going to start playing Armored Princess (the Crossworlds version) but I'm not sure which difficulty I should be playing. I'm pretty bad at strategy games but I still don't want to be able to steamroll every enemy with no need for tactics. How hard is normal?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Or you can level up stealth and kill 5-6 of them without them even noticing. And then pop three instantaneously with your gun. Repeat.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Mayor McCheese posted:

I didn't see this on the Wiki, any tips for Enslaved: Odyssey to the West?

Remember you can shoot the enemies even during stealth parts. This will save you A LOT of hassle. Some bosses are trivial if you have enough stun blasts. The counter ability is so hard to pull off it's worthless. You'll want to upgrade your shield and staff the most. You have a move that makes Monkey hit with his staff in a wide angle and pushes enemies away - this is very useful and gives you some time and space to avoid being surrounded. The enemies are very fast, surprisingly so, and can kill you in seconds if you mess up. The most important thing about fighting is positioning - shooting and stunning (which gets unlocked later in the game) with the staff is pretty drat useful.

Other than that the game is pretty straight-forward and will tell you all you need to know. DO NOT look up videos or anything before you beat the game.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 11, 2011

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Captain Beans posted:

About the play the uncharted games starting with 1. I've heard the difficulty level just makes guns do more damage even vs enemies and I should play with it turned up so the bad dudes are not bullet sponges. Is this true? Should I start on Hard? or is there a higher difficulty I should be on?

You really should start on normal. The enemies kill you in seconds on the harder difficulties which should only be played if you really enjoy the game (and know where those cheap loving close quarters shotgun enemies spawn.) If you want to kill them quickly aim for headshots or use magnums and shotguns whenever possible. I never got the "bullet sponge" complaint in the game, anyway. The enemies in Gears of War are sponges. The bosses in Max Payne are bullet sponges. The enemies in this game can't take even close to the amount of bullets those can, and are stunned every time you hit them for that matter (also headshots actually work).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I don't usually say this but the English voice acting in Valkyria Chronicles is much better than the Japanese one, not to mention the fact that the characters's battle chatter isn't subtitled, so you need the English VA to understand them at all.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I happened to stumble upon a copy of Ninja Gaiden Sigma and couldn't resist buying it, even if I unfortunately had to buy it together with God of War 3 if I wanted a better price. I loved Bayonetta and Platinum'd it but I couldn't finish even the third mission in DMC3 because it was too hard for me. I've tried NG on the XBOX but got really frustrated with the first boss. Why the hell can he start attacking me while I'm in the middle of a combo? He should at least block my attack before he can start kicking my rear end! I beat him eventually but I had to use up my healing stuff.

Could you guys give me some pointers for NG Sigma? I enjoy a good challenge but DMC and NG have managed to beat me so far.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 7, 2011

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

jscolon2.0 posted:

What's unfortunate about this? GoW3 is great. Give it a chance.

I'm sure it's an OK game :) It's just that I thought the demo was really disappointing since it felt like nothing had changed from GoW2. Then I got Bayonetta and never looked back. I also have the latest Castlevania game but never finished it, so now I have a whole bunch of games in the same genre, when I only really wanted NG. Still, NGS is pretty drat rare (at least where I live) and I'm sure I'll play through GoW3 once at least, so I shouldn't complain.

Is there anything I should know before starting playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks you two. Can you replay chapters to get more money/exp like in the DMC games?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
A powered up Igni spell or two can DEVASTATE whole groups of enemies.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

bbcisdabomb posted:

There is an achievement for not shooting anyone and the combat isn't that great, but sometimes the best option is to shoot some dudes and immediately drop the gun. It certainly makes parts of the game easier.

Only scrubs use guns :colbert:

Sometimes it's easier to just run away, but at two maybe three points in the game you HAVE to fight to continue, not counting bosses.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Space Cob posted:

No, that makes sense to me. I intend on doing so. The first play through seems like "just survive! go faster!" while the second is more "how can i do this way better than last time." Both sound fun but in different ways.

Thanks for the tips guys.

There's an unlockable Time-trial mode where you race through the stages trying to get a Gold medal, and another mode with special stages where you don't have to fight enemies but can just focus on beating the best times. The challenge comes from finding the quickest routes (which can be pretty tricky) and then executing them perfectly (which can be HELLISH). Personally I love the time trials and spent countless hours perfecting my time records. I never got all gold medals, though. Just remember that the obvious routes are ALWAYS the slowest.

One important thing is to maintain your speed. Avoid unnecessary turning and jumping since it will slow you down. Momentum is VERY important and greatly affects how far/high you can jump, for how long you can maintain a wall run, etc.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 18, 2011

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Rakanakle posted:

On hard the enemies have less health (but hit harder) so if you're decent at the game you can probably get through it quicker on hard.

No, just no. The later levels get very frustrating on higher difficulties, especially if you're playing it for the first time. Play on Normal instead. It's OK to play UC2 on hard, though. It's much easier with the exception of the last boss (who's really annoying in UC2).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I just received Bulletstorm from that Gamefly sale. Should I know anything going in other than to just kill poo poo in ridiculous ways?

The game automatically locks unto the closest enemy when you aim which makes some skillshots more difficult to pull off, but it's possible to turn it off. Try to combine skillpoints for ridiculous multipliers! Other than that don't worry about doing every skillshot (I did and it made the game more frustrating than it actually is) it and just have fun with it!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Was pointed at this thread from the general DS/3DS thread so I'll ask here since it seems to be a better place to do so!

I just got The World Ends With You and I am totally overwhelmed by the combat system. Are there any good tips for what I should be doing or paying attention to more than anything else?

And is this one of those games where I can really easily miss some super-awesome items or do I not need to worry about that?

Also any other general stuff I should know going into this would be cool.

You can raise/lower the difficulty and your own level at any time. The only reason to make the game harder is to increase item drop rates. If you don't care about 100%ing the game you can make the game super-easy. You can also replay any chapter after beating the game so don't worry about missing anything. Just lower the difficulty and play around with the fighting system - it will be second nature before long! You can also make the 2nd character AI controlled until you feel you're ready.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Anything for Corpse Party, or is it pretty straightforward?

All I can say is that the game is incredibly annoying and is littered with bad design decisions. Many adventure games have the problem that you might know how to solve a puzzle but you have to go through ridiculous hoops to get the character to do as you want them too. This game has this in spades, which will often result in multiple game overs. Of course, the save points are placed so that you will have to watch long unskippable cutscenes before you can try and die again in seconds. I absolutely hate that game. My advice if you want to suffer through it is to always keep a walkthrough handy. Or just buy something enjoyable instead.

EDIT:
The music (or rather the single track) is pretty decent, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dr Snofeld posted:

- If you're playing a PS2 version, save when in a jail late in the game, and then load the save for a surprise. Unfortunately said surprise is absent from the HD version.

Does that mean the poo poo dream codec is gone too? Say it ain't so!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

pigdog posted:

You're supposed to watch the goldmined LP, rather than playing the actual game. There's so much stuff in the LP that a normal playthrough would have missed.

Yeah, watch the LP. I think I would have gone insane had I tried playing the actual game; it's such a mess gameplay-wise.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

al-azad posted:

Don't worry about money in Planescape. The best stuff is dropped and the only thing you'll be using money for are buying tattoos/upgrades for TNO and a few other items (BUY THE MODRON CUBE).

It's a pretty straightforward game but there's one sidequest that stumped everyone. During the final assassination side quest (I believe you have to kill a police deputy or something), you'll be in an alleyway with high windows. The game says the mark will appear here but he doesn't. He's actually in one of the windows and you have to send one of your snake things to kill him. This took everyone forever to figure out because all the windows look the same and the one he's in is distinguishable only by a small amount of light pouring out.

This one kept me busy for a whole hour - I was sure the drat game had glitched out on me.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dongattack posted:

If you get Warband there is no reason to get the first one, Warband is just better with updated graphics, updated gameplay and the ability to fund your own kingdom. Fire and Sword is generally considered to be not as good, but someone else has to chime in with why.

Some general tips for the early game:
Do quests for villages to make them like you more, the more they like you the more recruits you get from them. Sometimes you even get upgraded troops.

Recruit every companion you can find/afford and send them out to spread word about you aiming to become the king. This gives you right to rule and unless its about say 30 when/if you create your own kingdom, factions are gonna declare war on you as gently caress. You can just dismiss the companions you dont want when they come back tho.

Keep a few companions with you that have skills you dont have, worth planning ahead for this.

Also i would reccomend you dip into the mods pretty early, thats where the real fun is at.
Native Expansion is a good one to start with, and Prophecies of Pendor is a really fun one for when you get more experienced.

Edit: Oh and if you can avoid it, try not to fight the Khergiit to much. The units they have are ALL mounted and battles can be really frustrating, usually my main reason to play mods instead.

How about Fire and Swords?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
How is the Blood and Steel Mod? I've heard some good things but you never know.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I played the level below Ranger and it was fine. My biggest problem was the lack of airfilters for my gas-mask - poo poo got really intense at certain points.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm getting Alan Wake from Gamefly, any tips?

What the others said. Also, the game is pretty hard in the beginning but gets easier as the game suddenly turns generous with weapons and ammo. I also recommend that you take breaks between chapters to avoid tedium.

EDIT: After you've beaten the game there are two extra chapters in the Chapter Select menu.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

al-azad posted:

You can't really play it like Max Payne 1 and 2. It's a cover shooter, Max moves slower, and slow-dive is mostly useless because hitting any object in a dive breaks it and Max takes a while to stand up. Take cover and use regular bullet time for maximum effect.

This is all kinds of wrong. Only use cover when reloading or if you need more bullettime (getting shot at refills it, even while in cover). Move move move while shooting - the enemies are crack shots when you are still and in cover but as soon as you move they start missing! Max IS slower which means that timing is everything! You don't need bullettime to shoot-dodge so ABUSE THE HELL OUT OF IT. Just make sure to aim for cover when you jump as any remaining enemies will tear you to shreds otherwise. Armored enemies take forever to kill if you shoot them in the chest - aim for the head or groin! Some very annoying areas are actually "skippable" as in you don't have to kill everyone to proceed. Now, for the biggest tip;

You can use the cover button after shoot-dodging! If you are close enough, Max will crawl to cover position himself behind it. This is insanely useful.

Again; MOVE, use shoot-dodge as much as possible, and only use cover when you absolutely have to. The final boss was HELL when I tried to play the game as a cover shooter, but now I can beat him on my first try every time by abusing shoot-dodge and the cover button. Shoot-dodge, cover, shoot-dodge, cover etc.

DON'T play the game as a cover shooter - it's much more enjoyable if you take risks and do some crazy poo poo, just like the other games!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Destrier posted:

Any tips for someone about to start Nier?

Even if you don't complete every sidequest, make sure to speak with every quest-giver for some amusing dialogue. And do every sidequest involving Popola and Devola - you won't regret it!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

owl_pellet posted:

Maybe I spent too much time loving around in the early to mid-game gas mask levels scrounging for items then. By the time I got to the first level with the librarians I was completely out, so I did that level and the one where you play the distress signal or whatever it was on the radio running around frantically looking for filters and memorizing where they were before suffocating and having to start over. At the time I did read in various places that other people were having similar problems though.

This is exactly what happened to me, so be sure to buy extra filters when you have the chance. And do play on Ranger Hardcore.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Xander77 posted:

Hotline: Miami

General what I should know stuff, and a specific question:

Am I supposed to be getting a lot of interference, the screen flickering and stuff as a part of the game's ambiance, or is that something about my graphic settings?

Not during a stage, I think. I've never noticed anything distracting while playing.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

What about the exclusive ps3 rpg FolkLore ? I bought it with Nier a while ago but never played it even though Nier left me disappointed. I probably should have chosen Folklore to play first.I have a hard time starting games as it is.

I loved Folklore when I played it a couple of years ago. It's an action-RPG with a kind of super-natural murder-mystery story set on Ireland, with a touch of Pokemon thrown in. It's really pretty and atmospheric, even if the story is pretty incomprehensible at times (probably due to the less than great translation). It can get a little repetitive if you try to get everything, so don't feel like you have to level up every monster or get every costume.

The game-play is pretty straight-forward most of the time but to capture some monsters you need to do some puzzle-solving. Every monster has a weakness that you have to find before you can capture it - and sometimes you don't have access to that kind of attack and need to return later. There's a in-game picture book you can consult for some hints. You can always tell if an attack is working or not - the enemies' blue "souls" will pop out for a second when you hit them with their weakness. Try to "stun" as many enemies as possible before capturing them all in one go for extra XP. The more of the same monsters you capture, the better they get.

It's no Devil May Cry in terms of action, but I love the design, music, atmosphere, and the story is pretty unique as well. And to be frank, I enjoyed the game-play as well, even if it's a little simple.

Don't fret about which of the two characters you should play first, just do their stories in any order you want to. The female character is more passive, and lets her monsters do the fighting. The male character rushes into harm's way and is more action-oriented.

EDIT: For goodness sakes - download the free Folklore Holiday Add-On from the PSN store. There's literally no reason not to, and I played the whole game with the male character looking like this:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 13, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I loved UC1 and 2 but absolutely hated 3. The chase scenes are stupid as hell, the animations look worse for some reason, the gun controls are floaty as hell unless you turn on a special option, the story is literally all over the place, and most of the characters are completely wasted. I also had problems with bugs that forced me to replay entire levels. Naughty Dog's B-team worked on UC3 and it shows in every aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's not only abstract, it's actually bugged. You will need to assemble something for that puzzle. Save before you combine any objects. If you put them together in the wrong order, they won't work and they can't be disassembled.

Yeah, that exact puzzle forced me to restart the game. Thankfully there is nothing else like it for the rest of the game.