Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Ornamented Death posted:

Based on your love of Star Ocean 2, I would say the best advice anyone can give you is to not play Star Ocean 3.

Or play it and assume that the BIG TWIST is a farce and the plot is very tongue in cheek. I found the gameplay to be great and has many subtle nuances. Also, if you want a bit of a challenge don't abuse the orihalcum manufacturing.

Never did understand why people get so angry about the plot of 3 I know everyone says it makes the plots of the first two defunct, but i don't agree, the fact that the universe is a giant MMO doesn't mean that everything that happens in it is meaningless (its not like WoW which resets the story per player)

Rant over, any tips for FFTA2 for DS, i'm about 35 hours in and doing ok but was wondering what jobs i should be focussing on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Vinlaen posted:

Any tips for Assassin's Creed?

(Please no stupid responses like "Just press X")

Play in increments of about an hour a time, you're less likely to find it tedious.

Have fun just finding tall poo poo to jump off.

Explore the lab in the in between bits, there's a lot of story poo poo that is quite interesting.

A lot of the assassinations seem to be scripted so don't get frustrated if a target keeps spotting you etc, it's probably meant to be like that, main example being the trap in the church, which led to an awesome street wide chase.

Just have fun moving around, the animation is awesome in this game.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

The simplest way, however it relies on a bit of luck, is to put your cleric next to Laharl when he lands the killing blow. If they do a team up attack, your cleric will get XP too.

My method was to train my cleric in bows to leech exp off weaker enemy maps for a while, until she got access to slightly better healing spells, and had a bit of mana, then transmigrated into a star mage and switch to staves.

I was about lvl 100 with my cleric but i imagine you can do it as soon as you have enough mana for a genius reincarnation

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

When you get Mog, go back through the Serpent Trench one more time.

You have to be careful with the serpent trench the second time through as there's a way you can get permanently stuck, IIRC, something to do with taking a ship somewhere. I think you have to take a long route down to the velt by foot after running the ST.

Also, Genji Glove/Offering Combo is gamebreaking. The Genji Glove can be bought i think, but the Offering relic is found in the castle where you find Odin

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

zombieman posted:

Oh God, I've purchased Two Worlds! Advise me, Goons!

Keep at least three different weapons at all times, have one imbued with spirit damage, and one being a bludgeoning weapon. Skeletons go down faster with a paddle than a sword, and ghosts will most likely be one shotted by any spirit weapon.

Do all the side quests, you get mad gear in the process and pretty much everything you do gains you skill points. Upgrade lockpick and the skill that ups your total damage first, as for me anyway they were the most useful (I went full warrior, though i did keep a heal spell).

Be warned that the game is buggy as gently caress and occasionally poo poo will happen that has nothing to do with the difficulty or your skill as a player. It didn't happen too much for me when i last played it though.

I'm assuming you have the PC version, otherwise switch to that to make use of better controls and graphical options because the game can be so pretty if you want it to

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Blue Dragon is a game you either really like or don't, but i'd advise slogging on for a bit, at least til you get to the end of the first disc, where a load of cool poo poo happens.

My method with the game was to multi class the characters so they have high levels in two classes, and make sure at least one character other than Kluke has decent magic skills before the third disc because there are some horrendous battles in one area that you can get yourself save-trapped in, like i did :(

Also, when an item comes up 'nothing', those get counted and there's a dude under the bridge in Jibral who gives you prizes for getting a certain number of 'nothings', good prizes too, decent accessories.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anything I should know before really getting into Disgaea 2 (I'm playing it on the PSP if that makes any difference)? After about an hour or so, the basic mechanics seem pretty much like Disgaea 1 -- anything to keep in mind about the more advanced mechanics, character creation, etc.? Or can I basically approach it like Disgaea 1?

Each character and monster has a class/type special attribute so make sure you check this out first before storming into battle. For example, dragons are immune to fire attacks, so even if one has a -50% fire resistance fire spells won't do squat.

There are no statisticians in this game, instead the felony level you have counts as a semi-permanent experience booster (allbeit an incredibly loving tedious to get exp boost)

I dunno much about the PSP version apart from having loads of cool extra poo poo to do

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Morpheus posted:

You'll start the game as your own father.

This is the best way of describing anything.

Does anyone have any tips for making levelling up/farming item world residents less painfully slow in Disgaea 2? I'm playing through the PS2 version atm but have also been thinking about getting the PSP remake soon. Is it even worth playing now, or should i just give up, go back to playing FFX2 and wait til i get Dark Hero Days?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Just got Soul Nomad and the World Eaters, any tips?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

ActionPlatypus posted:

I just bought Two Worlds for PC from GoGamer for $1.90. I've heard the game was terrible at launch, but improved with patches and mods. Is this true, and if so, where should I go for said improvements? If it's still horrible, will it still be fun for shits, giggles, etc.?

The Steam version i have is fine, and its a fun game, just a few things to note really:

If an item has a permanent effect it needs to be combined with a potion in order to recieve that effect.

Boost lock pick asap because the majority of the best loot comes from advanced lock chests (obviously).

Do all the sidequests as it gets you buff for fighting some of the harder enemies.

Make sure you do all the sidequests in the oriental town at the bottom left of the map before proceeding with the main quest in that town,Orcs ransack the poo poo out of the place immediately after you get the scepter piece

Go full class whichever one you choose, mix matching makes your character pretty poo poo overall. If you are going for Mage, make sure you loot everything in order to get decent spells, and have a back up plan ready.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

If you don't want to spend a lot of time grinding, just run with one group. And I'd advise against filling it with unique characters because they get less xp or don't count as the class they actually are or something (I can't remember exactly what it is, but I know there's some drawback to loading a party with the unique guys).

The main character can get bonus stats from merging with certain townsfolk, making him/her quite strong as long as the other members of the group support him accordingly. I'm running with two pyremages, two archers and Vitali in my main team at the moment.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

wdarkk posted:

This is a really stupid question, but in the Wii version of Phantom Brave, what button do you hit to switch between characters with the Changebook? I have it equipped on Ash and I also have him holding it on the island but nothing seems to work. The guides I consulted said to hit the "R2" button so obviously I can't do that.

If its like the ps2 version it'll be whatever button the attack button is on the island, should be in the manual

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I've just started playing Mass Effect. Do I actually need to give lots of orders to the rest of my party or do they have good enough AI to help in combat on their own?

Yeah, basically just leave them to their own devices, only thing you really need to watch out for is what weapon they are using, the powers generally get used quite well

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

graventy posted:

Ah, my bad. SO3 is pretty enjoyable as long as the twist doesn't piss you off. Game lost me there. Towards the mid/end of the game it gets very easy to break things with the item creation system.

You have to know what you're doing to really abuse the system, and the 'BIG TWISTtm' isn't nearly as bad as most people think it is, its just a bit out of nowhere.

Voice acting is loving terrible though

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Alris posted:

Finally, there's a way to end most fights quickly using the Blue Mage character. Have "It" Eat a Mandragora, Mu, Axe Beak, Blazer Beetle, Jabberwock, or Catoblepas to learn an attack called Limit Glove, which will do jack poo poo unless "It" is at 1hp. So cast Auto Life on "It" (have "It" Eat a Carrion Worm, Gimme Cat, Cerberus, Yan, or Stilva and "It" will learn to cast the spell on "It"self.), kill "It, watch "It" spring back to life, then have "It" use Limit Glove on any enemies.

Any reason we're not revealing what 'It' is?

Make sure you utilise each characters abilities effectively, there's not much point having Garnet or Vivi attacking in battle unless you're trying to conserve MP (vivi has focus anyway so use that if you want give him something to do). Steiner's magic sword abilities are pretty powerful early on in the game especially if you abuse enemy elemental weaknesses.

It is useful to have Zidane use steal a fair amount just on the grounds that early on in the game it provides you with free healing items, and you'll find the occasional rare item this way.

Don't worry about the friendly animals too much, they're only really important for the endgame content.

Don't worry too much about missing treasure chests or whatever, most useful items you can buy later on anyway, and there are only a few items that are one offs

Don't bother with the Excalibur 2, it's Squaresoft making a moronic design choice and it's not that much more useful since by endgame you'll be hitting 5k+ with most attacks and the hard optional bosses don't get any easier if you have it

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Centipeed posted:

I believe the poster used "It" because it's hard to tell whether the Blue Mage is a he or a she.

Conceiling the identity of a character in a decade old game who was big in the promotional material anyway? Never mind.

Any tips for Growlanser Heritage of war?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
I've always referred to him as a he for some reason, his mannerisms seem more male than female, but yeah, i'm sure the game refers to Quina as a s/he or 'it'

I was just being fececious about the constant use of 'it' and 'the blue mage character' in the poster's remark in place of just using Quina.

Also I like the fact that the card game is completely rewardless in terms of game altering items, makes it more like actual card games

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Anyone care to have a shot at explaining the skill plate system from Growlanser: Heritage of War?

I get the whole 'things in a row highlighted get points during battle' thing but I don't know how to use it effectively

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Just downloading Saints Row 2 for PC at the moment. I'm aware that this game is a kind of horrible port, but is there any trick to it not playing like rear end. My PC can run TF2, Fallout 3, World of Warcraft etc, and according to the system requirements lab, this game as well as Mass Effect and the like.

Also, any advice for grinding the first few thousand levels in Disgaea 2 without me wanting to tear my hair out, would be greatly appreciated. I know about felonies CoO4 and so forth, as well as the Nekomata trick, but i don't really wanna do exploits if i can help it.

Also, with SH2, i haven't played the others, but about 90% of the gameplay experience can amplified by playing in the dark with the sound up. With minimal emphasis on combat other than a sense of 'SHITFUCKCUNTARSEHITTHATFUCKINGTHINGKILLITKILLITKILLIT', a lot of the game is the sense of dread you get when the radio starts crackling and you can't see how there coule possibly be any enemies around.

So yeah, play that one through to the end first before you attempt to play any of the other games

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Fray Joker posted:

Just got Nier in the post. Given it's Square Enix, I'm almost expecting for there to be missibles. Wouldn't mind a few other gameplay or combat tips if you got them.

It's not actually made by Square Enix, from what i gather the company that made it are massive trolls so yeah, i'm guessing there will be missables

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

21stCentury posted:

Something tells me you didn't like Drakengard.

Never played it, just going by what other goons have said. Do want to play Nier though, as it sounds pretty awesome, was just being pedantic about the publisher/developer thing

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

21stCentury posted:

I'm about to start Soul Nomad and the World Eaters for the second time.

Can someone explain how the rooms work? I remember having trouble understanding how it worked.

The rooms determine your character's attacks (based on their front, mid or rear position in the room), the number of fighters you can have in a platoon (up to 9), and have assorted permanent effects (to compliment the non-permanent room decor items). You can inspect rooms to level up characters which has the added bonus of increasing the stat gain from effects and decor placed in the room. It's really loving easy for the second time through if you use the Gideons, as they are awesome in any room position.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

(On Morrowind)
Try to find an athletic trainer and run everywhere. Boost Strength at level up for more Fatigue. You're weak as poo poo when you start out unless you cheese character creation to the max, and even then, you'll just be decent, so just keep training at all the skills you want to use.

How do you cheese character creation exactly?

Borderlands
I'm not finding this game that fun, mainly because the bosses are awfully designed. Any tips for this? Playing as a soldier, using revolver, shotgun, sniper combo atm, with leech grenades. Currently stuck fighting the horrible shielded brute which is wiping my shields in one hit and then two shotting me whilst i'm barely scratching his health.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Why do you have a Sniper/Hunter loadout as a soldier? You don't get the damage bonuses and soliders with assault rifles are loving scary.

I don't know if this will help your current situation, but it might help you overall to try and use the characters perferred weapon loadouts.

Ah, i didn't realise the weapon loadouts made that much of a difference, will give this a go in that case. I guess i stupidly fell in love with my other weapons and never seem to get many assault rifle drops. Thanks.

Also, tips for FF9, search around for chests wherever you are, as every piece of equipment you get will usually have one or two skills attached that you can learn either immediately, or save for a later character.

A lot of the sidequests are horribly obscure and you'll really need a guide for them (locations of the friendly animals mainly, but you only really need to do them if you're gunning for completely absolutely everything)

most of the QTEs aren't necessary, but most of them are touching or funny, so they're worth watching anyway

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

hundley posted:

Heavy Rain

People will say this to you, and you'll shrug it off like I did, but really, try to keep your experience as pure as possible (that is, don't reload, or use a guide). The story will play out dramatically and richly no matter what happens. If you're worried about missing plot details because you missed something or someone died, all I can say is that's not really a concern. The game will reach a conclusion no matter what, and though I didn't get the happiest ending I was very satisfied with my experience.

This, but applied to Alpha Protocol as well, just pretend there aren't any trophies and enjoy telling people to gently caress off, shagging material witnesses and generally being a sneaky jerkwad. Or not, if that's how you want to play.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Kin posted:

Yeah, wasn't that the one where the enemies scaled in difficulty according to your level. So you could go through the whole game at level 1 if you really wanted to.

Well, as far as i can remember, the enemies buff up for every 20 levels you gain, so its not like a 1-1 scaling, so it's worth levelling to, say, 17 or 18 and they should stay the same strength

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

Anybody have any suggestions for Eternal Sonata?

The battle system gets harder/more intense as you progress through the story (in that the amount of time per move is reduced, training wheels come off etc), so it's worth getting used to what each button does in combat and how each character works so you aren't caught with your pants down, so to speak.

One of the characters has the ability to take photos of enemies, which is pretty much the only way to make any real money in the game, though I never used him and got on fine with low income regardless so it's up to you.

Am back to playing Disgaea 3 at the moment, was wondering if anyone had any tips for pirate hunting. Got the levelling/duping etc down, just need to get into reverse pirating and having trouble finding pirates (I know they only show up after floor 20)

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Can I ask what you did for duping? I asked this earlier but got no response - I just don't see that many dropouts.

Some times i'd go through a dungeon with gently caress all in it, so i don't actually know the formula, but i think a higher character level increases the chance of encountering a dropout (I was always at at least level 80). A lot of it is chance too though, I went through loads of class worlds with either one or no dropouts, and then got one with four in it, of which three I managed to dupe. Some people suggest really high levels increase the odds to like one every floor, but I can't confirm that

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Playing Demon's Souls, killed two demon's so far Phalanx and the Armored Spider, are there any not very obvious things I may have missed with regards to the game, especially with equipment upgrades, is there anyway to upgrade armour or is it just weapons?

For reference I'm playing a thief so have been pumping dexterity and luck, have been upgrading daggers mainly and bought soul arrow just because it makes life easier.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Palleon posted:

Beating 2-2 should probably be your priority since it lets you upgrade weapons to their full extent.

Perfect, next stop some loving horrible thing that'll kill me stone dead :unsmith:
Sounds good, always thought i'd bomb horribly at this game, but i'm doing a lot better than my skill at games permits me. Maybe I just have an easy ride for the first two levels and then it's insta death all round

Are there any demon's soul's worth just consuming, or is it best to use them all in weapon upgrades?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Don't miss the 'blue mage' character. Near Lindblum there is a swamp forest on the world map. It's pretty hard to miss. Go into it.

You can't miss him/her as such, as you have to go through the swamp later on to get to Gargan Roo, i think, just you can pick him up earlier and get some skills for him.

Pay attention to what people say during the cutscenes, several times i've ended up missing vital lines pointing me in the next direction, and spent hours looking for where to go next.

The game's very class based and a lot of the enemies require differing tactics to beat them effectively (though many of them can just be attack spammed to death). Vivi/Steiner is a great combination to have because of the magic sword skill.

Trance is largely useless

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Winedeck posted:

Been itching for a JRPG on the 360 so I went ahead and picked up Blue Dragon. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Specialise in two classes for each character, just to give yourself a wide spread. One of the classes has passive abilities that increase your ability and equipment slots, so make sure you get some of those skills asap. Been a while since i played it so i can't remember any specifically difficult bits, though one of the dungeons is timed, though it tells you that in advance.

Also, the nothings are counted as something and can be handed in under a bridge for pretty useful items

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Jjaarreett posted:

Demon's Souls anyone? I made a knight, stumbled through 1-1, killed the Phalanx without too much trouble, started up 1-2 and well yeah. I couldn't really make it back to my bloodstain after that and ended up leaving. Now I seem to be stuck in "soul form". Any ideas on where to go next or should I just start over fresh?

Soul form has benefits, you make less noise which means alerting enemies less, when you die world tendency doesn't shift towards black etc. It's better to work systematically through the X-1 worlds as the X-2+ worlds tend to be exponentially harder if you go through in order. Good order is 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 2-3, 1-2 etc. This way you're bumping up both your soul level and new equipment.

Don't be afraid of dying, also, check out the Demon's Soul's thread, at the mo someone just put up a more detailed but short length beginners guide in one of the posts

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Dragon Quest 9, am about halfway through Batsureg and Swinedimples to go My main team is Warrior, Priest, Mage and Thief with subs in Paladin, Ranger, ??? (to be decided for the mage), and martial artist.

Any tips, though I seem to be getting on ok with it, paladin and ranger are the only classes i've unlocked thusfar, can i unlock anymore at this point (got the quest for the armamentalist, just haven't done it because it's a load of bullshit)

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
I got Resonance of Fate for christmas, and i'm on Chapter Four. I have the basics down, things that have been mentioned in this thread many times over but was wondering if there was anything else i should know? Particularly with regards to the hex system and how to link those stations up, as well as tips for the challenge battles.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Mr E posted:

I just bought Resonance of Fate , and have no idea how the game plays, I just know that every friend that played it loved it. Anything I should know?

Go to the arena first, as that's where the tutorial is, that'll explain almost everything about the battle system from the start so pay attention.

Also, level everyone with all three weapon groups when you get the chance, it boosts your maximum health and weight limits more than just specialising in one weapon. (total level is sum of all three weapon levels)

The plot doesn't make sense, don't bother trying to understand it

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Orvin posted:

Any tips for Dragon Quest 9. I tried searching this thread, but nothing much came up.

Fairly straightforward game really, you get new party members from the inn at stornway, you learn new skills as you level up/place skill points, most of the stuff in this game is the same as previous dragon quest games, so just enjoy it and experiment with classes, you won't be locked into one specific one.

It is worth keeping a mage in the party at all times, as well as a class who can heal (priest, paladin, hunter etc)

Not all classes are available from the start, the unlockable ones come from rather irritating grind quests, but are useful to have

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Pick 3 characters and just stick with them once you get all 6. Your party is never separated so there's no reason not to just keep using the 3 you picked outside of Quickenings and Espers (You'll know once you unlock them). Trying to keep all 6 leveled and geared up will just make you go insane.

On the other hand, having the other three at least reasonably levelled and lisenced will help in situations where your main party gets wiped at the last minute, you can swap out gear and finish up which will save reloading. Doesn't have to mean you grind everyone up, just keep them within 10-15 levels of your mains and equip them with the double LP accessory while not in use/if your mains are using the double EXP accessory.

If you're in need of some quick cash mid to late game, a couple of laps of the first area of Giruvegan tend to rack up some nice spoils and will grant you a decent amount of EXP/LP from the Behemoths too. Boring, I know, but a single lap takes maybe ten minutes at most and that may be all you need.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

KingShiro posted:

I have Disgaea 3 coming. I haven't played the other two so I don't know what I'm getting into.

There's so much to run through, it's best to start off blind and pay attention to the tutorials first, then have a quick gander at some online FAQs as there is a lot of stuff they don't really make obvious, such as diagonal throws, item duping, same rarity equipment bonuses, extra gain and the teacher/pupil relationship.

Don't worry too much about the student council, it's meant to be ludicrously unfair to pass bills early on because once you get to a certain level you can firebomb everything in combat under the persuade by force option and win by bullying (lovely moral there)

Virtually none of the geo-panel effects are explained either, and whilst some of them are fairly obvious, I still don't know what mighty enemy or level 7 boost mean. So yeah, my question, what do they mean?

Basically, read an FAQ as there is loving loads of stuff to do in the game, i've stuck in about 70 hours and have only just unlocked the land of carnage, don't have all of the unlockable classes yet either.

Read an FAQ, the ones avvailable are brilliantly easy to understand (and you can ignore a lot of the percentile/statistic algorythm crap as it's only really there for OCD nutjobs who wank over numbers)

As for myself, starting Morrowind again, wanna know the top five mods for adressing gameplay and some graphical issues for it, as well as a good start for a mage/alchemist set up. Thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

Any particularly game-breaking hints for Two Worlds? I want the quickest path to becoming a one-man smiting machine of horrible voice acting.

Permanent stat ingrediants need to be mixed with a health potion in order to get the perma-stat.

All of the decent equipment is usually in locked chests so it's worth dumping some points into lockpick

Enjoy the gameworld, it's bloody gorgeous and by far the best part of the game, especially the dead forest to the south-east.