Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I want to kill (a life)time and just reinstalled Dungeon Siege 2.

I basically just want to steamroll it without cheating. It's been ages since I played it now, what are the imba skills and are there any mods and patches I should get my hands on? I got the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Someone posted about The Witcher before but didn't get a response.
I just picked up this game to, and I'm enjoying it immensely, but the amount of things to do seem overwhelming. What starting talents are good and should be picked first?

I just got to The Outskirts of the village, done/doing some small quests (barghest skulls, lighting fires and similar).

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Witcher stuff

Cheers for this. :)

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

the Boost Ball boss in MP2 being a total bitch to beat.

Yeah this, had so many problems and so much frustration with this jerk. I don't think anyone will berate you if you decide to read a guide on that particular boss when (not if) you get stuck.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Some quick pointers on Bioshock 2 that I picked up while playing. I'm trying to not crossover the advice from Bioshock 1 because the games are pretty similar. Some changes that can be worth highlighting however:

- Health kits are abundant. Don't buy the maximum amount at the vending machines and don't be afraid to use them. You might have to leave some behind on the ground if you fill up at a vending machine before you search the area/corpses.

- EVE Hypos, while not as common as health kits, are also not uncommon. Don't use your plasmids sparingly just to conserve Hypos. Get the tonics that restore EVE when using health kits/health stations if you still find that you tend to run out of Hypos.

- Almost any method can be used to take down enemies. Don't be afraid to experiment. The drill is especially good at taking down big numbers of weak enemies if you upgrade it and use the charge well.

- You can now use plasmids and weapons seamlessly without switching them on or off. Use this to your advantage (hint: electro bolt).

- Teleporting enemies getting on your nerves? Stun them or use phosphorous buck.

- When travelling on the sea floor, keep your eyes open and look around. There is a unique item type lying about that can only be found out there, though it's rare.

- Take note of the location if you find a glowing corpse.

- Learn to use, over-use and love trap rivets.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
A few from the last couple of games I've played:

Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising (and normal Dawn of War 2):
Feel free to experiment with corruption levels.
However, don't keep one of your favourite squads much lower (more corrupted) than one of your non-favourite ones. You'll see why.

Get Thule's gun-sweep attack and overuse it all the time. On the whole, once you get used to his clunky movement and turning, use him a lot.

Don't underestimate cover.

Don't overestimate cover (in boss battles especially).

God of War 3:
Use Ground-slam moves against big opponents to give you a small edge.

Dodge or learn to dodge. A lot. Especially against said big opponents.

Don't hoard your mana and/or rage. Mana chests are overabundant and getting rage seems easier and faster than the earlier games. And the rage mode seems less powerful too.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
About to start playing Napoleon: Total War. Haven't played any Total War game before, but I've played a ton of other RTS:es. Anything I should know before I get too deep in the game?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I'd like to toss out Napolen: Total War again, as I'm having trouble getting a foothold in it. I tried the Italian campaign a few times and it went better each time, but the time limit (a bit less than 2 years) fucks me over everytime. Anybody have any handy tips to hand out?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Any tips for Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume? It should be arriving today.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Omega Hans posted:

Any tips for Icewind Dale 2?

Did you play the first game or any other infinity engine game (such as Baldur's Gate 1&2)?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I'd like to toss out Dragon Age: Awakening.
I played and finished Origins twice last year, picked up Awakening when it was released but didn't really have time to dig into it, decided it's time to finally give it a thorough go. Is it structured in the same way as Origins? If so, what area is best to start in? Is Runecrafting any good?

Oghren's joining ceremony is the best thing in the game, by far.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I've finally figured out that my PSP can download games from the Playstation Network, so I'm going to be playing Metal Gear Solid

Cardboard boxes can be used to quickly ship yourself from one end of the base to the middle and to the other end, remember that you need to have the "return" box if you don't want to walk all the way back though. This can be handy when you get the later security levels of cards to get back and open previously closed doors.

If you have played any other Metal Gear Solid games you probably know this, but call people frequently, do weird stuff to people, call people while you do weird stuff to other people, etc. etc. There aren't as many conversations as in the other games, but the ones that are there are pretty funny nonetheless.
In this vein: Stare down Meryl when you get the chance to stand still with her.

To get safe passage through the wolves: The first time you pass through their lair (or habitat or whatever), punch the girl and quickly equip a cardboard box. A wolf will pee on it and you can run through their lair with it equipped later on without being attacked.

Never be afraid to experiment and bullshit around. The game was released in 1998, but it was still very innovative for its time. It's very satisfying to manage to sneak through a room instead of shooting it up.

Anyone that have any tips for Evil Genius (I read the tips on the wiki)?

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 20, 2010

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Had my fill of Evil Genius, about to try Sim City 4 now, any tips?
For the record, I haven't played any simcity games before, though I played a lot of The Sims (1, 2 & 3), so I'm familiar with the interface.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Started playing some Titan Quest to kill time, gotten to the satyr war camp place. It's going pretty well, but it feels like I'm missing something because I keep having to chug health pots in every fight, using two or three on a small encampment is not uncommon.

I play Warfare/Dream (because I read that that's badass), level 11 or 12.

A few questions I have:
Should I favour stats or raw dmg/armor on my gear? I kill most non-boss enemies fairly quick (2-3 hits) so my damage seems ok, but the amount of punishment I can take is laughable.

Are there any must-have skills in those trees? I started with warfare and picked dream at level 9 or so. I've got Onslaught, the whirlwind-thingie and bits and pieces in other skills, got the slow/dmg-cone attack from dream.

Using sword and board.

General tips are also welcome, of course.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Earth 2150: Escape from the Blue Planet. Eurasian Dynasty campaign in particular, but all tips are welcome.
I love this game but I don't know anyone else that does. :(

Eurasian tips: Your cannons always hit, the enemy walkers' grenades don't. Circling around them while firing can be hard, but ultimately pay off.

You've probably played the first mission already, but anyway: Don't scout, stay put and mine. It's boring as poo poo but it saves you a headache. I don't think there's any backlash from this.

A few general tips:

Always transfer money left on a mission before ending it, either via transport if you want to keep it for research/units or via the other thing that deposit it straights toward your space-fund.

The same goes for units, including harvesters and builders. The goal of the game is to mine up 1'000'000 credits, be economic. There's no hard cap on the amount of units you can have, if I remember right. Repair owns.

At the start of the game (for the first 10-15 missions, maybe less) you should research what's available, when the catalogue gets bigger you can sort out the good stuff you know you'll use.

If there's a mission telling you about some kind of technology, do them first as the tech you get can be a pretty great upgrade. Some of them are hard though.

Arrange your units in neat lines in your base if you're idling too much, it's fun!

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Will setting units to "dynamic attack" help there?

And speaking of attack settings, is there any way to get my helicopters to fire at will without setting them to "chase enemy" and watching them fly into the enemy base and get reamed?

There is a cap (on combat units only), based on total cost. Support units and buildings are uncapped. The cap seems to be going up after each mission, though.

I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with the money to research everything; on the other hand, I've been sending more to the spaceport than I'm asked to, so maybe I should be diverting more funds from that. I just don't want to come up dry later...

To be honest I never played around with the platoon settings at all, I prefered to use traditional control groups (ctrl+1, ctrl+2 etc). Do mess around with it though, might make it easier to dodge them.

Alright, been a while since I played it.

How many new researches do you get per mission? If it's still around 2-3 you should get them in my opinion. Towards the later half of the game you get some missions with massive mining capabilities. As long as you don't dawdle with the time limit you should be able to come out on top economically, but for your first playthrough you should probably play in a way that you like. If you notice your units start dying a lot faster than your opponents or you're at a disadvantage overall you should probably be researching more.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

fozzie dunlop posted:

Shadow Of The Colossus seems pretty straightforward, but is there anything unapparent that I should know?
Edit: New page, nothing to see here. :downs:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Getting Final Fantasy Dissidia to have something to do on the bus every morning/afternoon.

Also just got Little Kings Story.

Any tips for those two?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Thanks for the tips about Dissidia/Little Kings Story earlier.
Got some more questions about LKS though.

What was that about Onii circles? I just got the letter from The Onii Kings calling me a jerk, is the Onii circle thing something I will get eventually or did I miss something?

Is it supposed to be pretty grindy? Right now I am just going around killing the same monsters for some loot so I can get the woodcutter's hut. I think I've found most of the holes for loot. Is there some obvious way to make money that I missed? Beside the taxes of course.

Will I ever be able to make my castlehut look like a real castle? :(

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

I love this thread. In an platonic manner, I mean.

Theme Hospital, of all things? Playing for the first time in the better part of a decade, and I ran out of money on the second level.

Been ages since I played TH. It's a fantastic game though. If I remember right, the difficulty curve is pretty steep, so don't be surprised if you hit a bit of a wall. Also, don't accept every emergency call you get. They can be great for money, but if you can't handle them your reputation will drop, this can be especially bad in the later levels.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Gonna put some Fable 3 here, even though it's all new.
If you've read about the game these aren't very big spoilers, but I thought I'd play it safe.

Your dog is more of a tool than a companion now, he won't need feeding, petting or healing, though you can still interact with and cuddle with him. His combat effectiveness is on par with F2.

Dick around. I'm serious, the game is not very long, and there is no rush to do anything main-quest related.

If you plan on playing the good guy, buy lots of property before you take the throne, then do sidequests to let the gold trickle in. You will need a shitload.

Once you travel to the other continent, there is no going back, once you return the revolution will start for real.

Once you're king, go to Sunset House and speak to the demon door.

Much like in the previous games, the gnomes (gargoyle equivalents) shout obscenities at you, open your ears and kill those jerks.

The collectibles statistics you see on the overmap in the sanctuary is for the main zone as well as any subzones of that zone (example: Brightwall Village is a main zone, The academy is a subzone of Brightwall).

Big spoiler: After you have ascended the throne: The days will count down very very fast towards the end. If you go into court with 121 days left you can't do anything until after the attack (such as getting moneyz)

You can keep attacking during slow-motion attacks that aren't scripted finishing moves. For example, if you fire at a monster with your rifle and it shows the monster being hit in slow-motion up close, you can still fire off-screen at any remaining enemies. Overall I'd say those slo-mo effects happen a bit too often.

The Mourningwood quests about two dead people are by far the funniest.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 2, 2010

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Anyone got anything on Two Worlds 2? (the title makes me think of the SA member everytime I read it :()

It's kicking my rear end. I just reached the savannah, and most fights seem to be very "either I get hosed in 2 seconds or I dodge and gently caress someone else in 2 seconds". Is the combat clumsy or am I just not getting it?
Is archery useless?

Any other general tips?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Just grabbed King Arthur - The Role-Playing Wargame for cheap on steam, any tips? Heard it's possible to gently caress you up badly if you make some wrong moves.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Jarrik posted:

Just got Temple of Elemental Evil from GOG. My D&D crpg experience is mostly SSI gold box games and Baldur's Gate - anything I should keep an eye out for? I know it's 3.5 rules so any specific advice on party balance etc would be helpful.

It's fun, but it's buggy as all hell. Check this site out, they have done some pretty major changes to the game with fanpatches and such. I just got it myself so I can't comment on much else though.

http://www.co8.org/forum/

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Started playing Terranigma yesterday. Haven't played it for more than 10 years so I'm really rusty. I just resurercted the birds, any helpful hints?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Just got ahold of Valkyrie Profile, played through the first dungeon and Freya just left.

Looking at the system with a fixed time limit makes me think it's pretty easy to gently caress myself over from the start and make later things/the end impossible, or am I wrong here? Anyway, anything permanently missable or general tips?

One question that has popped up: Will using the "finisher/purifier" (or whatever it's called that pops up when you reach 100 on an enemy) on an enemy with 0 hp net any special rewards, or is it just there to do b onus damage if the enemy didn't die already?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Ashmole posted:

Starcraft
I started playing this recently. How is this game played? That is, does it encourage being ultra-aggressive or turtling (defending until I get high tech gear)? I know that some games will reward both styles of gameplay, but it seems like every unit in this game dies in about three seconds so how would one play aggressively in a game like this? When I say "aggressively" I mean making early pushes and ending the game as fast as possible.
The kind of tips you'll need to Starcraft is largely dependent on whether you've played RTS's before or not, and which ones.

I'm assuming you're talking about Starcraft 1 and single player. If you're talking about multi player you're in for a wild ride because SC has been one of the biggest competitive online games since it was released more than a decade ago. There's literally millions of websites dedicated to online strategies and tactics.

But for single player. Admittedly it's been a while since I played it last, but here's a few things:

The game can be divided into macromanagement and micromanagement.
Macro is the larger operations, like building bases, moving large groups of units long distances and such.
Micro is the small things you do, like moving wounded units away at the right time, kiting melee units with ranged units, using abilities etc.

To be good at the game you'll have to be good at both. If you're just looking for some fast-paced RTS action you don't really need to worry about it.

The reason I'm writing about it is because you can either turtle or be aggressive. IF you want to turtle you focus on macro while just defending until your army is big enough to steamroll everything, while if you want to be aggressive you can move out with less units and play smart and micro the units well.

The game is built on a rock-paper-scissor principle. No unit is all-powerful and there is a counter to everything. You need a good unit composition (different types of units in an army) in order to be succesful. However as you progress through the campaigns the units are introduced one by one so you'll figure out what's good against what eventually.

Those are the general tips, more specific hints could be:
- Scout. Even in single player. Send out a lone unit or a few units to find out what the hell is going on. In campaign mode the AI has a pretty standard way of playing, so find out where the enemy base(s) is(are) and place a lone unit between yours and his to get an advance warning when an attack is coming.

- You can build multiple production building of the same type and they will produce more units. Every building has an individual production queue. For example: one barracks can produce one marine every X seconds, two barracks can produce one each every X seconds, three barracks can produce three etc. etc.

- Use control groups (ctrl+#, # to recall group).

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Chinaman7000 posted:

Anything for Crysis(I have Warhead too) or Metro 2033?

Crysis:

- Don't play it like a conventional FPS (i.e. Call of Duty, Battlefield etc). Your suit makes you superhuman and a lot of the fun in the game is loving with the enemy soldiers and killing them in odd ways. You can of course play it like any other FPS, but where's the fun in that.

- When you get to the tank section, don't be scared to jump out and kill stuff on foot if you're taking heavy fire. The tank is a great asset when you can fire with impunity, but a destroyed tank ain't killing poo poo.

That's all I can remember really.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Erfsom posted:

Anything I should know for Dungeon Siege 2 including the expansion?

- It's a looong game compared to DS3. If you want to see the end of it solo prepare to set aside a lot of time.

- Use the intro/tutorial to get a feel for what playstyle you like, then stick with it. Realizing halfway through act 2 that melee is boring poo poo and you want to cast spells is not a good idea unless you want to grind a lot.

- You can't do anything with the ghosts until act 2.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Steam's Summer Sale is going to put me out on the street, but at least I'll have fun until then

Anyway, any tips for The Longest Journey (and Dreamfall) and SpaceChem?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Just finished Crysis 2, thought I'd drop some knowledge:

- Aliens are more vulnerable from behind (the tendrils).

- Aliens use similar tactics to humans, but you have to beat them in a different want. Using mobility and getting up close and personal is a great way if you have a shotgun.

- One of the best ways to fight heavies is to find the sweet spot between where they can melee you and where they can shoot you. If you keep moving they can't really attack you. Use armor.

- Armor and Stealth are both very useful, but remember that as soon as you fire out of stealth your energy goes to zero right away.

- Stealth kills do not drain energy.

- The perk that lets you see bullet paths is extremely useful for messy fights.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
e: Nevermind.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

unleash the unicorn posted:

Should I keep playing Borderlands?

I played for a couple hours and it seems like it's only going to be more of the same.
Is that correct or is there some gamechanger right around the corner?

It feels like Just Cause 2 has more story than this.

It's pretty much designed around playing with (up to three) friends. If you're flying solo and are bored already then no, you probably won't be more excited about it if you keep playing.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I've been trying to start playing King Arthur - the Roleplaying Wargame two times now, but everytime I manage to fix Excalibur I get my rear end kicked. Can anyone give some tips to get me rolling at the start? Should I beeline for one of the strongholds or play it cool for a bit?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

From Earth posted:

While we're on the subject of DoW2, I've got a question:

Is this it?

I mean, is the singleplayer campaign ever going to more much different than what I've seen so far? Because I'm about ten mission into the campaign (two or three missions after the not-Zerg show up), and I'm already fairly bored with it. My main complaint is that almost every mission more or less comes down to "Go over there and kill some aliens". Maps are all rather uninspired networks of canyons and/or bridges with enemies scattered throughout, and most of my time so far has been spent just making my way through it and clearing out of groups of enemies one by one. There's no sense of urgency either, since enemies are almost completely passive, most seem to be content just chilling at their programmed spot waiting for you to show up. Even the motivation for the missions themselves seems to boil down to "There's aliens in that sector, you should probably kill them". It all seems to repetitive and uninspired, especially compared to DoW1 and Company of Heroes (which has the best RTS campaign of all time).

I know this isn't a thread for ranting, but I've got to ask before I sink more time into the game: Do the singleplayer missions become better and more varied later on?

There are some missions that are unique, but they are pretty much exclusively story missions, the rest of the fluff is pretty much always "go here, kill X"/"Stay here, defend Y".

I was wondering about Xenoblade. I know it's pretty new and that it's got a thread of its own, but I don't want to sift through it and potentially spoil myself because the story is pretty good so far. I've just reached the "leg" part (where you rescue the kid on the buggy).

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Mr E posted:

On the other hand, I found the Stealth aug to be pretty much useless and completely unnecessary to take.
The main drawback of the stealth aug is that it burns energy too fast. The best use I found of it is to get out of sticky situations by just sprinting past a guard or two or put it on then dodge between obstacles if a guard just refuses to look away.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
My longing for Heroes of Might and Magic VI got too big and I bought Disciples 3: Renaissance after trying the demo of it. SO I've played through the tutorial and it looks fairly complex. Any sweet hints?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
About to start playing Batman: Arkham City. Any sweet hints? I finished Asylum.

Also, I found out that Uncharted 3 was released the other day. I started playing Uncharted 1 ages ago, but heard that number 2 is a lot better. Should I skip the first game and go for 2 then 3 or play all of them? I own Uncharted 2 and borrowed the first from a friend.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Sweet batman hints

Awesome, thanks! Gonna start it up today or tomorrow.

I also finished Uncharted 1 yesterday. Surprisingly good but seriously gently caress the last 10 shootouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Bought Dragons Dogma the other day and staying out of the thread to keep it as fresh as possible.
I'm not new to the genre really, I played and greatly enjoyed Dark Souls and am familiar with open world games. It's still kicking my rear end though and I feel like I can't really go anywhere without getting ambushed by 10+ bandits which slaughter my pawns (same level as me +/-2). I just finished the escort mission with the Hydra Head. Any starting tips and hints? For the record I play as a mage.