Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

TadGhostal posted:

Just got X-Com: Enemy Unknown after liking the demo. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

You eventually reach a point in the game where you can test your squad members for psychic abilities. DON'T DO THIS ON ANYONE LOWER THAN COLONEL. It is based on the person's Will, which goes up with each promotion. Once that person is tested, they cannot be tested again. Make sure to also strip them of any useful gear tey are using before you send them for testing. They take it with them and you can not access it without waiting for the testing to stop or cancelling the testing.

Echoing the take it slow in regards to story. It will say things are a priority, but there is no time limit. Taking things slow in this game is a VITAL part of EVERY mechanic.

Take enemies alive whenever you can. There is no bigger relief then researching weapon technology and realizing you have a surplus of weapons from the aliens you stunned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Colon V posted:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)
-If you want to break the game in half: Get a Sniper with Squadsight, drat Good Ground, Double Tap, and a Sniper Plasma, put them somewhere high up, and rejoice in your angel of death.

Later on you can research a suit of armor that has a jetpack. This makes them a literal angel of death.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

PJStelford posted:

I know someone posted (Non-Spoilery) hints for the new X-Com, but it isn't on the Wiki. Anyone care to direct me in the right directions?

I don't know if it was just a glitch for me, but grenades don't injure Outsiders.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Bought the GTAIV Franchise on Steam. Any particular mods I should install to make the game more enjoyable? Should I play the games in any particular order?

In GTA IV, ignore the pigeons. There are something like 200 of them and all you get for killing them all is an attack helicopter. Don't waste a minute of your time killing them. If you do, you will want to cut yourself afterward once you realize how much of your life is gone forever. It isn't even like the packages in the other games, which you should find as many as you can as soon as you can, where you get weapons at your safe houses.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Renegade doesn't have an auto-save feature. Save often. Getting 45 minutes into a level and having to start completely over because you died will take you to new levels of rage. The later levels get really unfair as well. Saving after every room or two is a good idea then. If you do die always pick load save. If you hit restart you lose all of your weapons, except the pistol.

Ion Cannon beacons shouldn't be hoarded. If you don't want to clear out a building, just beacon it. If you feel the need to clear out all the buildings, I would save destroying them till afterwards. You never get a flashlight and it makes them really dark. Most buildings are also the same no matter where they are. Been in one Hand of Nod, you've seen them all. don't forget you can destroy buildings with vehicles. If they have an engineer repairing them, it might not be possible.

There isn't a way to repair your vehicles unless you mod the game.

Playing online in this game was groundbreaking when it first came out and is still a lot of fun. For multiplayer you need to download RenList. If you get the chance to play a match of two, I HIGHLY recommend you give it a shot.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 17, 2013

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

PJOmega posted:

I am restarting and it's been awhile. Does drat Good Ground play well with Archangel Armor?

I'm pretty sure it does.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Randler posted:

Good advice until shotguns are somewhat useless.

I disagree. The first signature shotgun is ridiculous and I used it for most of the game. It only lost out to the auto-shotgun because it is an auto-shotgun. They also have more range then you think they do.

Play with the flamethrower. The flame physics in this game are just as good as Far Cry 2. It is just too much fun to use the invincibility drug and clear an outpost by setting everything on fire.

Animals are dicks to everyone. Sometimes it is just better to watch as a tiger mauls everyone in an outpost to death. You get the credit regardless of how it was cleared.

On the topic of the hunting missions, it doesn't matter which gun you use as long as it is the same class as the one they provide. If they give you the crappiest sniper rifle, you can still kill it with the explosive shot sniper rifle and get credit. Knifing or using throwables to kill the animal also gives you the credit as long as you are holding the weapon it tells you to kill them with.

Don't waste time finding all the collectibles unless you want the achievements. I would suggest finding at least half of them to make sure you get the special weapons and drugs.

Always be using drugs. This cannot be overstated enough. I actually stopped using cars when I could make the hyper speed drug. The invincibility drug means invincibility form EVERYTHING. Take it and jump off a cliff. As long as it lasts, you'll hit the bottom and just walk away.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Dragonrah posted:

I'm sure this has been done to death, but what can you tell me about KOTOR 2? The Steam version if it matters.

I've never gotten to play more than a hour or so of it and after beating KOTOR on my iPad I figure it's time to play the superior one.

When it comes to becoming friends with your companions and learning their backstory, you need to have them sufficiently happy/angry with you. Doesn't matter if it is happy or angry, and some companions respond better to being treated like poo poo.

Most human, non-Jedi characters can be made into Jedi. It might be all, but I'm not 100% on that.

It is possible to beat the game with any build. I wouldn't try something like a blaster only run until you have beaten the game a couple of times and plan that poo poo out from level 1.

Unlike KOTOR 1, there isn't a level cap. There aren't any places to farm, unless you know/find re-spawning enemy exploits

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Kanfy posted:

you can't move and Overwatch with a sniper rifle on the same turn.

If you don't care about cheesing the game, they never took out the glitch where you can switch weapons after you overwatch. Use 1 AP to move the sniper where you want him, switch to the pistol, overwatch, then select the sniper and press X. You'll have a sniper rifle overwatch without needing snapshot. Also, NEVER TAKE SNAPSHOT. Squadsight is hilariously broken at times. The switch weapon thing works for every class, though it isn't as useful.

Don't build satellites until you get a few engineers, but make sure to build some 21 days before the council report. It took me a shamefully long time to figure that one out. Always wondered why I was always short on cash at the start.

The most important Officer School upgrades are the ones that increase the amount of people you can take on a mission.

Kanfy posted:

Avoiding the main story isn't going to stop enemies from getting stronger and you'll most likely end up with too much global panic for you to handle if you're always sidetracked. There's no need to rush massively but just be mindful of it.

This also effects story missions. The longer you wait, the tougher the enemies are going to be. There are 2 enemies that won't show up until after you do certain story missions. They will replace whoever was the leader of the various ships you shoot down.

Adjacent bonuses stack, but only count once. If you have a 4x4 block of something, you only get 4 adjacency bonuses.

On Classic and Impossible, the computer doesn't get smarter, it cheats with bonuses to aim and crit.

The most important piece of advice is no matter how compelled you feel to save scum, DON'T. I know it is depressing to lose a colonel, but it happens. Just deal with it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

pentyne posted:

2- Every character has an influence level with you that if you raise high enough you unlock more dialogue options and other things. It's pretty easy to figure out for most, and can be easily unlocked through regular dialogue, but some of the NPC's have to be present during specific moments when you give a response in order to get enough influence points for them to progress. If you really want to see everything it's better to just play the game once and then use an influence editor to see the extra content.

I'm pretty sure with influence it doesn't matter whether you have a lot of negative or positive influence with a character, as long as you have enough of it. There is at least one character that responds better to negative influence then positive.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything to know for XCOM: declassified or whatever the proper name is?

Use Battle Focus all the time. If it has been more then 10 seconds and you haven't used Battle Focus you're wrong.

If you don't give your squadmates directions, they aren't very good. If you tell them to fire at a target, they do much more damage.

Spam your abilities. Things that give you reduced cooldowns are really good. When hiring new Agents, choosing the reduced cooldown perk is a good idea.

If you see a Minion Commander or Tech Commander make them your first target. They can throw out drones that heal.

Try to always use abilities to compliment each other. Using Lift then Critical Shot is crazy powerful.

Spam your abilities.

For Dispatch missions think about the ranks of the Agents when it comes to the order you send them. If you send a Rank 4 and another Rank 4 right after him on an 8 difficulty mission, you can only send those two. If you send a Rank 4, then a Rank 3, and put another Rank 4, you didn't hit the cap until the third soldier. All three can go.

This is an XCOM game, so the hardest missions are the first ones after the tutorial. Once you find better weapons and get some levels it gets easier. Death is also permanent. Flanking enemies does a lot of damage.

All the classes are useful. Take different combinations of classes to see how they pair together.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I've been dabbling with Sleeping Dogs and I'm not too far in, but my question is which DLC is worth getting, and when should it be played? Is it legit or mostly piecemeal costume bullshit a la SRTT DLC?

The Zodiac Island one is alright. If you like homages to kung fu movies, you should get it. You can do that whenever.

I really liked Wheels of Fury even though I waited until the main game was done. That was a HUGE mistake. If you think driving around Hong Kong in a loving James Bond car is cool, buy it. It even has some missions attached to it where you test the various things it can do. Do that first thing. Loved driving around playing dubstep with the EMP.

Year of the Snake is a standalone mini-campaign. You have to switch over to it in the main menu. It isn't bad, but it isn't mind blowing either. If you thought the gameplay was fun and you want some more of it, buy it. This is completely disconnected from the main game so you play these whenever.

Everything is either cosmetic poo poo, there is a poo poo load of it, and things that didn't seem interesting to me.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

al-azad posted:

Nothing in the wiki. What should I know in Natural Selection 2 to not be useless? I know some basics like destroying cysts to remove infestation but any experienced player tips are welcome.

General
- Always attack as a team. Once you've played for a while, you'll understand how to play solo. Even then you should attack as a team.

- Attack the enemy's res points. Even if you have to go alone.

- Listen to your commander. They see more than you do.

- Buy a loving mic and use it. The bare minimum of communication can mean the difference between winning and losing.

Marines
- Buy a god drat welder. They cost 3 res and are very useful.

- Don't run backwards. You move at half speed and are very easy to kill.

- Jump physics don't work like you would think they do. When you jump you keep all of your momentum and can spin in mid-air to shoot things.

- When someone is building watch their back instead of helping them build.

- When mines are researched buy at least one set. They will one-shot a skulk without carapace. Lay them around buildings and chokepoints.

- Only one person needs to stay behind at the start to build. Everyone else should spread out and take as much territory as fast as possible.

Aliens
- Run on the walls whenever possible as a Skulk. Get used to jumping off walls and objects for a speed bonus.

- Mutating Gorge right when the game starts and dropping a tunnel in base and somewhere else is really useful. Be aware marines can use them too.

- When putting down Clots as a Gorge, try not to completely wall off a doorway. Some of the bigger Aliens will be stuck on the other side if you do. Putting them down on Hydras protects them and the Hydras can shoot over them.

- Be aggressive. The Marines are much better at defending than you are. If you don't understand why, just wait until what should have been a 15 minute game goes on for 45 minutes instead because of a Marine turtle.

If you have any more questions the Natural Selection 2 thread can answer them.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Same question for Saints Row 3. I have whatever DLC missions came with the ultimate pack that was in that humble bundle some time ago. Can I do those missions whenever I want, or should I save them for after beating the main storyline?

The Weird Science one is really good. I would wait until you are a high level before you try it.

The others are uninteresting slogs I would just ignore.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I got the God of War trilogy for the PS3.

What should I know about these games? Is there anyway to take stress off my thumbs or are they really this button mashy?

It isn't as button mashy as you think. The best combo in any of the games is Square, Square, Triangle. Large damage, stun, and easy to get off. The combos are not that complicated. Most combos are press Square until you feel like pressing Triangle.

Dodge. Learn it, love it, do it every chance you get.

Learn to time blocks. When you level up the blades enough or get certain items it allows you to counter attack out of a block. The counter attacks are usually good.

You gain bonus experience when you combo hits together. Usually multiples of 10. Doesn't seem like much but it really adds up.

In the second and third game you start getting more experience from executions (Circle).

You will die. Sometimes in extremely stupid ways. It happens.

Level up area of effect magic. Poseidon's Rage in the first one, Krono's Rage in the second. I don't remember what the third is. Using these will make your combo counter orgasm.

If you can destroy a door or part of the scenery it makes your controller vibrate. This is helpful with finding secrets. A lot of the secrets are tricks with the camera.

Don't worry about missing health and magic upgrades. There are more chances to get upgrades than what you need. If you find enough to max out early the rest of the chests that would have held them are experience instead.

Every game towards the end has a gauntlet of sorts. Just long stretches of combat without a break. The one in the first game is especially bullshit. Don't be scared to use magic as there are chests/orbs during them to refill with.

Try to not let the first one turn you off to the series. Three is really good but Two is the true winner.

If you have any specific questions I played this game way too loving much.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Teledahn posted:

I know this isn't the best place to ask about new games, but it has been two months, so if anyone has any thoughts about Wolfenstein: The New Order they'd like to share that'd be super neat.

I suppose I should find out if my computer can even play this new game I've bought first.

Some of the explosive perks are INSANELY hard to get. Find a tutorial video that shows you the best place to farm them online.

Some of the collectibles are also crazy hard to find, so don't worry if you are missing a few.

Leaning is really important. Especially against later enemies.

The difference between the two timelines is which hacking minigame you have to play. a character is different, and whether you will get health upgrades or armor upgrades. Health upgrades are better.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

XCOM - Enemy Unknown/Within? The stuff on the wiki is a little sparse.

You will lose soldiers. Just shed a tear and move on. It sucks but it happens.

Only 100% shots are guaranteed. I've had soldiers miss 98% shots a few feet away from an alien.

Non-discovered aliens will teleport around the map. Usually not behind you, but this is XCom.

Always remember XCom will gently caress you over in the stupidest ways imanageable. That is part of the game. Just roll with it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Any tips for Banished? There's nothing in the Wiki and doing the thread search thing came up empty too.

I've had one shot at it so far, so I know how all the basic stuff works, but I found that after a certain point I went from having near-full food stores for several years to running out completely, despite the population not growing particularly much. Even after the population dropped due to starvation deaths I still struggled to bring in the food I had coming in before, even with the same number of farmers/fishers/hunters etc. My other game-ending problem was running out of iron completely, despite having a few people working the mine for it, resulting in all my tools running out so no more iron could be mined to make more tools...

Any advice for building placement/efficiency, what to prioritise and so on would be appreciated!

The problem was your population wasn't growing. If your population becomes stagnant you will find that workers will die off faster than they are replaced. If you haven't built a town hall, do it. It allows you to track statistics like food production and population growth.

Every year you should be building a few houses. The biggest problem with a growing a population is you have kids living with their parents and there just isn't enough room for a baby. Plus who wants to gently caress with their parents in the same house.

I usually set up my town with 5 house side by side in a row. I then put another 5 running parallel to them. Farms are directly across from the houses to cut down on walk time. I always try to build the biggest farm you can. I think it is 15x15. I then put down a log cutter, blacksmith, and weaver. Depending on my population and trade I might put down multiples. When you have a surplus of labor and a steady growth going, put down a school. Warehouses are very important. Build a lot of them for the years you don't produce as much.

It is possible to fish and hunt the wildlife to extinction. It takes a lot to do that and you should never run into the problem if you don't overlap hunting cottages or fishing docks. After I figure out where I'm putting my next expansion I would find a spot of untouched wilderness and put a gatherer's hut, hunting cottage, herbalist, tree cutter, and a house or two all together in the middle. Hunting lodges don't need to be where there are deer.

There is a removal tool that allows you to just collect a certain resource. If you find you are running low on iron, click the tool and make a huge square over iron. If you are still low on tools, make more blacksmiths.

My year usually starts with me pulling everyone from their usual jobs and making them farmers. When you click on a farm you can adjust how many people can work it. Large farms should have 6 workers, and at least 4. Orchards are luxuries. They take years to see a return and even then it isn't much. When winter comes I reassign all the farmers to various other jobs I need. Most buildings can have the maximum worker count raised, and it should be. Having one fishing dock with max workers is better than 3 with 1 or 2 workers.

It is possible to reach a point where your town becomes self sufficient. A friend of mine tried it. He said there would be years where a large population of the community would die off, but would rebound many years later for a surplus. You will be cursing old people in this game for taking up valuable space for a 20 year old to have a baby with a 11 year old.

I wish I could explain more about where to build poo poo, but without diagrams and screen caps I just can't explain it. Experiment. If you need more info on specific things let me know.

Only had one game where I lost. Had a huge famine where I lost about 250 people out of about 400 in a summer from starvation. The next year I had a tornado rip through my town killing another 50 or so. Still rebounded back from that. Lost many years later when another famine killed 3/4 of my population. Just wasn't enough people left to work.

gently caress tornadoes.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 15, 2014

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

For lack of better words, how does that loot system work in State of Decay? Is it the same stuff every time or is it random? I started a new game and only got 1 large backpack and a small instead of 2 large and at least one small like in my first game.

It's randomized. Of course you can cut back on the randomization by looking for things in certain containers. You're more likely to find weapons and ammo in gun stores and police stations, medical supplies in medicine cabinets and medical buildings, poo poo like that.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Taerkar posted:

I've never played it myself but from my understanding it's pretty much just sandbox with an 'Increase difficulty' option that causes the entire area to reset and tick up all of the sliders a bit more.

That's the gist of it. You can only take 5 characters with you when you reset but you get to keep everything in your storage locker. Resources reset to zero and if you want more survivors you have to find them again. There are certain challenges you can complete to get special survivors and any with perform X amount of actions also reset back to zero. Once they are unlocked and you go save them you don't have to redo the challenge.

A good idea is loading up the survivors you take with weapons and items that have a high influence so you can put them back in the stash after the reset to get a nice influence bonus.

I would also find a mod that auto locates the RV after a set amount of time. Searching for it is nice the first few times but that mother fucker can be EXTREMELY well hidden. I think I spent 5 hours only searching for the RV at one point.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

How can you tell if that mod is working? Everything seems the same to me.

Take out more than 30 rounds of the same type of ammo. If it shows up as 2 separate piles in your inventory it isn't working. The mod raises the maximum ammo stack to 255.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

I had two stacks of 30 bullets in my inventory. What do I do? I was pretty sure I unzipped the mod where the instructions said to. Did I need to also download that file it said I didn't need to run the mod?

It's been a while since I've installed the mod but you might have to start a new game. Otherwise try installing it again.

It's possible the mod doesn't work with story mode. Once again it's been a while since I used it/played the game so I'm just guessing here.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

poo poo, I forgot. I'm right in thinking that I need to go get survivors before I can start my own base though right?

Getting a base should be priority one. Most of the time when you reset the map and go up a level you complete a challenge for a survivor. Once you pick them up you should have enough survivors for a few bases. There is a Mexican restaurant you can use as a base close to the burnt out school on the east side of the big southern town. You shouldn't need anymore survivors other than what you brought to grab that.

The early Breakdown levels are quite forgiving so you can take some time to figure out what to do. As you get higher you should get enough survivors to grab whatever base is close. Ignore the industrial warehouse and fairgrounds for your first map reset base. It will take too long to get enough survivors and the RV is really vulnerable to attack.

Bear in mind that Breakdown starts to get really hard around level 10. Ferals and Boomers will start showing up everywhere and killing a Boomer will start summoning Ferals. When that started happening I tried to spend as little time as I could on each Breakdown level. I had more than enough equipment in my stash and my RV team was awesome.

Take your time in the early levels getting to know the map. The loot may be random but supplies will have a really good chance of showing up in the same spots. By the time you hit level 5 you should know where all the bases are and good places to find the supplies you need. Hell, by that point I had used all the bases.

When I played there was also a resource glitch. If you find a cache of let's say ammo that has one ammo box in it radio in for someone to come pick it up. Once the radio bitch confirms someone is coming grab it anyways and get out of there before the runner arrives. As long as you are in another place away from the runner they will still pick up the ammo box that shouldn't be there. If you found 2 ammo boxes you have to take one out first before doing the trick. This works for all resources and is a god send in the early game after a map reset.

I should also mention all survivors other than the one you are controlling at the moment have infinite ammo. It isn't a bad idea to give them grenade launchers, but be carerul. Friendly fire is on and I have lost a modern pickup that was filled with resources because someone in the watch tower saw a zombie next to the truck. When you are nowhere near base it is awesome and wrecks hordes.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 24, 2015

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Anything for Spec Ops: The Line?

A couple horrific atrocities you will commit can actually be avoided, kind of. If you ever get to a point where the game tells you to do something, it is ok to just say no and turn off the game. It was designed for that to be an option. You won't finish the story or know what happens, but sometimes that is preferable. If you don't know about the White Phosphorus incident you'll understand why that is an option afterwards.

This is a game where I would encourage dying. Towards the end of the game the loading screens stop having hints and start getting weird.

No matter what happens

Brightman posted:

-Remember: You are a good person :)

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Pierzak posted:

gently caress no, I'm playing this game to commit war crimes and be worse than Hitler :v:

the ethical run is for the second playthrough if I like it

Just so you know, the only "ethical" run in this game is to not play it at all.

You should also pick up collectibles when you get the chance and read/listen to the text that comes with them. They are really good and flesh out the world. One, which the game throws at you, humanizes the interrogator. I'm not saying you need to pick them all up first play through or comb through areas after you clear them. Do make it a point to at least look for some.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Turning on Ironman in Advance Settings is a good way to remove the temptation.

As much as it blocks you from save scumming I wouldn't suggest this. XCOM still has a lot of weird bugs and some of those bugs can completely ruin a game unless you have an older save.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Don't worry about stealth capturing every outpost. There are enough of them that getting enough stealth outposts for whatever skill is attached to it should never be locked out. A couple of outposts should clear themselves just from a random tiger or bear stumbling upon it while you are around. Be aware the same thing can happen to you. I played through it a couple of times and at least once early on I was ambushed and eaten by a tiger out of nowhere while scoping out an outpost.

One of the early rewards for some collectibles is the recipe for a syringe that gives you complete invincibility for 20 seconds. Always keep a couple of those on you at all times. There is nothing that compares to strapping some C4 to the front of a car, using the syringe while you drive it into an outpost, blowing the car up with you inside, then setting the loving place on fire with a flamethrower while laughing.

Crafting better gear is really important. I would do the hunting quests first chance you get.

Mind the alligators.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Anything for Civilization Beyond Earth?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Gynovore posted:

If you haven't bought it yet, don't. It's really not that great.

Let's assume I'm asking because I bought it and decided to give it a try.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Get a refund?

Any serious answers or is it just going to be people being assholes?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Centipeed posted:

I searched through the thread and collected up all of the tips that had already been shared in the past.

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Civilization:_Beyond_Earth

Thank you.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i got my hands on a copy of dead rising for the first time. never played it before, just started. is it known for being a really dark game? i've got the tv brightness up and i didn't see a brightness slider in the game but its really dim and i checked that its not a console issue by playing another game.

also i passed kent's quest but i don't know what he wanted or what exactly I did that got me the right picture. i just took like 50 photos of him jump kicking zombies until one of them was good enough. learned how to reload the camera which is good i guess. is there a way to check mission criteria while you play? are lots of missions as vague as this early one?

Also a barricaded survivor ran up and killed me and lost me an hour of progress when i was low on health. i assumed survivors would be my friend - did i piss him off or are there certain characters you just need to knock around a bit before they calm down?

I think sometime during the first night you get a call to check out a ride that seems to have started on its own. The boss there drops a really good weapon that respawns whenever you exit and enter that area. It respawns where you had to go to start the fight. If you manage to pick up the correct 3 durability books, one of those weapons can last you the entire game. Unless you decide you want to kill 2,000 or so zombies with it.

The gun shop is on opposite side of the map in an alley and you have to fight a boss before you can use it. If you wait until night of the 2nd day I think the boss might despawn.

Don't underestimate the power of giving 3 or 4 survivors shotguns/assault rifles/sniper rifles and bringing them to a boss fight.

If you give some survivors guns or good melee weapons don't forget to take them from them before you get back in the vent. The only way to do that is pick up something worthless on the roof or leading up to the roof and give it to the survivor.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 15, 2015

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

superstepa posted:

Is there a list that tells you which companions have the most lines for each one of the planets in Kotor ii? I'm starting my second playthrough of the game and I want to try to get as many dialog options as possible.

The only way to get max influence with Mandalore is to use console commands.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

2) Shortly after you do the Alien Base raid, you'll get an event where the aliens raid your base. It'll deploy random characters from your roster. Make sure you keep a good number of soldiers trained up at least to rank 3. There's no warning for it, so if you get unlucky with the timing, your entire A-team might be injured. lovely deal.

To expand on this it isn't just 6 random characters. You'll have a bunch of random recruits that aren't part of your roster and the 6 best non-injured soldiers you have. You start with a couple of recruits and main guys with the rest showing up as you kill guys and progress the level. The game doesn't let you choose your gear when the mission starts and the main guys spawn with whatever they currently had. I was sitting most of my A-team out to level other guys the first time and had to fight without any gear on them. Imagine doing a harder Alien Base Assault with default poo poo.

It might not be as fun for you since I had no loving clue anything like that was coming. Surprised the hell outta me.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

What happens if you fail?

The world ends.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Zaodai posted:

When you do Chaos Rising, you can import your guys partially, but due to events in the story your good poo poo (like the Terminator Armor) is damaged and can't be used for balance reasons.

You'll lose most of your gear in between Vanilla and Chaos Rising except for the gear you had equipped on the last mission. It helps make the first mission in Chaos Rising easier. Otherwise the default gear you get is pretty bad and makes that mission a whole hell of a lot harder. Terminator armor is very situational and might make a couple of the skills you've taken worthless. Even though Avitus is VERY strong in terminator armor most of his ranged skills don't work anymore. Particularly the ones that get rid of set up times and provides bonuses when he is in cover. I found terminator armor best for the assault squad though it still is stiuational.

In terms of skills for the first playthrough put points into the obvious paths. You could make the assault squad and force commander into ranged powerhouses but it requires a better understanding of the game. Be sure to always do defend missions. They are fairly easy and will allow you to do multiple missions in one day pretty easily.

If you don't want to mess with the item drop system you could always download a wargear unlocker. Keep in mind there is a metric gently caress ton of gear and some you won't see even after multiple playthroughs. This is also one of the easier ways to try out different builds on your characters.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your first upgrade points for your Suit should go into the Mapping skills. The rest aren't really useful (save maybe the grenade ones), but knowing where all the collectibles and upgrades are is always good.

I would suggest putting points into the one that lets you switch weapons and weapons mods faster. Later on in the game the fights get long and you will have to switch weapons and mods on the fly.

The mapping skills are definitely super important, even if you doing another play through.

Probably the best rune is one you pick up later that gives you infinite ammo above a certain amount of armor. If you upgrade it gets even crazier. It is also a flat amount so you can have infinite ammo for longer if you upgrade your armor. This includes weapon mods like the rocket launcher for the assault rifle or the turret for the chaingun. Sadly it doesn't work for the chainsaw and BFG. Otherwise for runes figure out what you like and go nuts. I usually rolled with the infinite ammo one, the one that gives you armor when you glory kill to keep the infinite ammo, and then whatever I felt like.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Anything for the first Fable? Never got around to any of them before, just picked up the HD version on steam. What there is on the wiki looks like min/max advice and I'm not interested in that, just if there are ways I can screw up my character that I should avoid or whatever as often happens with RPGs.

It takes some investment but trade goods can net you a gently caress ton of money. Ge in the habit of buying all the trade goods you can at every vendor. When you get about 30 or so sell them all to the vendor. The price changes based on how many they have. If you sell them a lot the price to buy them drops immediately. You can then buy them really cheap. The key here is the prices immediately change. If you buy all the bags of grain he has he will pay a premium for them. Immediately sell them back to make a bunch of money. When you get around 100 of a good you can make a shitload of money this way. The hard part is getting that critical mass of goods. You can even do this with gems like rubies or emeralds. It's just harder to find merchants buying and selling those.

There is a good merchant for this in Silverpines I think it's called with the werewolves, but for some reason the game puts a very high chance on him being killed by the werewolf. You won't know if he was the one killed until you kill the werewolf.

There are other tricks that involve abusing the save system with the arena but I know you said you don't care about that.

I will mention that there is a place to get a stupid amount of experience. Like the poster above mentioned the shield is very important. After you do some stuff in the graveyard and open the path to the prison you come to an area with a bunch of undead. It seems like the enemies won't stop spawning but they will, eventually. Throw on the shield and go to town with the AOE lightning spell. You can easily get your multiplier above 200. The experience potions you get are based off your combat multiplier and are great for that area.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I just started Massive Chalice. I've played my fair share of XCOM so I understand the basics of combat and building a base but any advice would be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

I just started Massive Chalice. I've played my fair share of XCOM so I understand the basics of combat and building a base but any advice would be helpful.

Anybody have any advice for this?