Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I probably had less than 10 crashes combined between all of my time playing FO3 and FO:NV. I can't remember any engine bugs at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm about to start playing Diablo II (with the expansion) for the first time. What should I know?

What class are you planning on using? If you're playing by yourself there's some builds you're going to want to avoid. Not so much since they instituted respecs but a barb will be extremely equipment dependent and you're not going to have much without outside help.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Anything for Paper Mario (N64)? I'm not looking to make the game easier but anything to make it as enjoyable as possible would be nice.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Any words of wisdom for EDF Insect Armageedon?

Including possible tweaks for the PC version because it definitely has that console port feel.

edit - nevermind, the game has 15 levels per difficulty and they each play pretty much the same. That's disappointing.

Yip Yips fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 13, 2014

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Cyks posted:

If you plan to get heavily into the game, keep in mind there is no skill resetting like in diablo 3

This is no longer true.

If you plan to play on the higher difficulties I'd recommend a caster. They're much less item dependent. If you just want to play through normal pick whatever looks interesting because pretty much anything will get you there.

Runes and gems cannot be unsocketed without destroying everything socketed into that item. Gems are mostly worthless save lategame crafting but there are some cheap runewords that are great for low level characters. Arreat Summit has a list of all of the runewords, items, skills, etc. It's a very useful resource.

You can hotkey skills by hovering over them and pressing one of the keys you assigned to be a skill hotkey. This trips up people on occasion.

The defense statistic is mostly worthless unless you have obscene amounts of it.

The "ideal" build for almost every character is 0 energy, the minimum amount of dex and str your equipment requires, everything else in vit. Now that you can respec this isn't a big deal.

Mercenaries are awesome if you keep them leveled and give them decent equipment. An act 2 mercenary can basically solo act 2 normal for you. You can also give them potions (shift + right click iirc).

Gold and gambling are mostly useless these days. Save your gold for the rare piece of useful equipment from vendors but don't worry about it too much. If you do play a caster you might get lucky and find a wand or something with +3 to a skill you use.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Yip Yips posted:

This is no longer true.

If you plan to play on the higher difficulties I'd recommend a caster. They're much less item dependent. If you just want to play through normal pick whatever looks interesting because pretty much anything will get you there.

Runes and gems cannot be unsocketed without destroying everything socketed into that item. Gems are mostly worthless save lategame crafting but there are some cheap runewords that are great for low level characters. Arreat Summit has a list of all of the runewords, items, skills, etc. It's a very useful resource.

You can hotkey skills by hovering over them and pressing one of the keys you assigned to be a skill hotkey. This trips up people on occasion.

The defense statistic is mostly worthless unless you have obscene amounts of it.

The "ideal" build for almost every character is 0 energy, the minimum amount of dex and str your equipment requires, everything else in vit. Now that you can respec this isn't a big deal.

Mercenaries are awesome if you keep them leveled and give them decent equipment. An act 2 mercenary can basically solo act 2 normal for you. You can also give them potions (shift + right click iirc).

Gold and gambling are mostly useless these days. Save your gold for the rare piece of useful equipment from vendors but don't worry about it too much. If you do play a caster you might get lucky and find a wand or something with +3 to a skill you use.

Addendum to my earlier post:

Your chance to block with a shield is based on the shield's block rate and dex (a higher block rate on a shield will require less dex to reach max block). Max block is always 75%. There are definitely builds that benefit from maxing block. You can see your current block % by hovering over your defense statistic in the character screen.

I also want to revise my character selection advice to just say don't play a barbarian. They're the only class that doesn't have at least one build that can beat hell difficulty without good equipment (without a shitload of patience at least). Necro, sorc, and paladin are the easiest, followed by druid and assassin, then amazon, then barbarian in a distant last.

The reason defense sucks is that it effectively doesn't do anything if you're running. You're always going to be running. Block is unaffected by running. This is one of the reasons that block can be very useful.

Yip Yips fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 28, 2014

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

KoB posted:

Did they hella buff the difficulty in D2 or something? This sounds completely different from what I played like a decade ago.

Yes. For example many monsters are now physical immune, which is why playing an untwinked barbarian is a nightmare. It's not really that bad with some foreknowledge but it's much more difficult than it used to be.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

MMAgCh posted:

That's actually not quite true—your block chance is reduced to (!) one third of its usual value while you're running. That still makes it more useful than defence in this context, of course, but if you're playing a character that relies on blocking to avoid taking too much damage, you really don't want to be running near enemies at all if you can help it.

You're right. It's been a while since I played.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Sociopastry posted:

That's really weird, as it's just Legend of Dragoon on the box art.

There's a THE on there :ssh:

Unless we're talking some crazy foreign art I haven't seen.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And don't bother with the achievements. There's one for maxing out the AP on every materia in the game. I didn't even have the patience to do that when I was a kid with unlimited free time.

Eh, I got all the achievements and have 69 total hours played, which I'm sure includes a couple hours of idling. It's not bad.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

I really don't understand why it gets so much attention. Sure it's boring but it's like 4 rooms and if you've played Fallout 1 and know the system it's a total cakewalk that will take you 10 minutes (maybe 20 if you hadn't), or 2 on subsequent runs. I have poo poo for patience with video games yet I can't imagine quitting the game over it.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I'd call that bad design.

Yeah, it's bad design for sure. I just don't think it was so bad that it's worth quitting the game over.

Anyways, a couple Fallout things that aren't in the wiki:

You can type in a custom number when trading caps.
The number keys each activate one of your skills. Instead of opening the skill menu and clicking the buttons you can just press the corresponding number.
There's a button that initiates combat (I can't remember which offhand). If you hold it down as you end a conversation or enter an area you'll immediately initiate combat and get the first move.

Definitely read the wiki. It has some important tips and ways to avoid at least one killer bug.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Mortuus posted:

Anything for Warcraft III?

I played it when it first came out, but never really got very far into it. Anything in particular I should be leveling up for heroes?

For the campaign? There's not really anything to know.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I've never played Skyrim. What's the most fun class (alternatively what boring class should I avoid) and are there any mods that are no-brainer must haves? I don't want to go crazy with modding right off the bat but if there's stuff that makes the game not crash or seriously improves quality of life like the inventory sorters in Fallout I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Thanks for the Skyrim talk all!