Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is probably dumb but any tips for Resident Evil 5? I've played REmake, Zero, and 4 before without getting tremendously far in any of them, but I want a campy horror game to play co-op with my girlfriend (she's never played any of the RE games) and apparently RE5 has been sitting forgotten on my shelf for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

PRL412 posted:

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Demon%27s_Souls

-If you feel like you're going to spend an appreciable amount of time with the game, look up a guide for world tendency and character tendency.
--Character tendency is similar to Sin in the later Souls games.
--World tendency will come back to bite you if you don't know how it works. If you're not a completionist, you can ignore world tendency by playing online.
-Pay attention to the location of glowing items that are out of reach, and take time to look for alternate paths of approach. Some items require vertical platforming in poorly lit areas. Be prepared to make a leap of faith but don't expect survive on your first try.
-There is a vaulting mechanic in Demon's Souls that was never used in Dark Souls 1 or 2. You simply hold the left stick towards a waist high ledge and you will automatically climb over it.
-When you go to world 1, if you look carefully you might see an NPC overlooking some enemies. I believe it's just past the blue eyes knight, through the fog door, at the bottom of the stairs. You can vault over the ledge here and speak to him. Make sure to pick up the item behind him, as it comes in handy throughout the game.
-When you go to world 2, bring a piercing weapon.
-When you go to world 3, bring your best rolling technique and your preferred weapon to ambush/stun-lock enemies.
-When you go to world 4, bring a blunt weapon.
-When you go to world 5, bring fire. And Lotus.

Major, major portions of world 4-1 and 5-1 can be skipped entirely with some creative jumping. It's particularly useful in 5-1 because that level is annoying.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I've just bought Destiny for cheap, which I've heard is a good decision. However, I'm worried I'm about to enter a game where I'm under powered and no one wants to co-op my low level poo poo. Any tips?

This is really late I realize, but Destiny is a good game overall. People bitch about the item grind but you can go pretty far just by playing PvP after you finish the story content with Crucible bounties to get your faction reputation up, and the PvP is pretty fantastic (in my opinion, at least).

The Hard/Weekly missions (useful for getting rare currency and upgrade materials) can be a pain in the rear end, don't be afraid to look up videos on how to beat them online. Honestly, for some of them I have no idea how you're intended to beat them without outright cheesing them, the one from last week left my fireteam and I plinking away at the boss from under a platform where they couldn't hit us for a solid seven or eight minutes. The "regular" story missions won't have that level of ridiculous difficulty, but it's there for if you want it.

Also, it's fun and profitable to warp down to a location and just do Patrol missions for an hour or so every once in a while - it's the best way to get Legendary upgrade materials, it will earn you faction rep, and there's usually at least a couple Vanguard bounties for "complete 6 patrol missions on X" or even just "kill 100 enemies without dying" or with precision damage that are a breeze to complete when you're doing patrols.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

rhetoricalAcrobat posted:

While NWN 1 and 2 have mediocre stories, Mask of the Betrayer, one of the expansions for NWN2 is loving amazing, story-wise, and everyone should play it if they get the chance to do so.

Was Kingmaker any good? I bought TWO disc copies of NWN Diamond and lost them both, and when I got around to rebuying the game on GoG so I didn't have to mess with discs anymore apparently Kingmaker was excised for it's M rating. Am I actually missing anything by not playing it?

(Also how many years does it take you to block the "Aye, it's done!" sound bite from memory? I'm going on three or four years now...)

E: Maybe I'm alone in this but NWN2's user interface is a huge step back from the one in NWN. I have no idea why they went to that menu system, is there some advantage I'm missing?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Anything not covered in the wiki for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? Is Adrenaline Surge still bugged because that is some laughable Final Fantasy 1 poo poo right there.

E: Also, can you change difficulty mid-game?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Kind of an obscure one but any tips for Baroque? I played it a ton like seven years ago and recently had the urge to jump back in and try to beat it, but the game is so freaking cryptic I don't remember much of it.

I'd prefer spoiler free stuff - I know the plot progression is loving difficult and bizarre but I'm going to try to figure that out on my own, at least. Vague hints would be great though. Wii version if it matters.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Anything for Tales of Hearts R?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Speaking of Persona: anything vital for Persona Q?

Also, to the person asking about DXIW last week: multi tools and lock picks were rolled into one item in this game....except badly. So there's two exactly identical multi tool items that will not stack with each other and will probably result in headaches. It's good if you want to carry more than the max number but you really shouldn't need to. I think the glitched second stack ones first show up in Cairo.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

What's the new hotness in Morrowind modding? Back when I played it was basically Better Bodies/Faces but I thought I read that there's a massive mod pack that includes those and others that's usually recommended.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Never use a perk which just gives skill points to specific skills, there is always a better use.

I really strongly disagree with this in FO3 - a lot of the perks are questionable and some of the skill based ones are like +5 to both Guns and Repair or Science and Energy Weapons, both of which are a solid half-level worth of points for a not-quite-max Int character. They can be a great way to get an edge quickly particularly for knowledge skills like Science or Lockpick that are basically worthless below set thresholds.

Maybe it's not possible to 100 every skill with those perks but I wouldn't know because that seems like the antithesis of fun.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Anything for Lost Dimension?

And anything the wiki doesn't cover for Disgaea 4 (Vita version, if it matters)?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Thanks! Is it always one red text per possible traitor on the current team? And is it worth isolating the three red texts members as early as the first floor? Seems like it could potentially take a while but would be doable...

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Anything for The Last Of Us (Remastered)? I started the game, put it down for a few months, now I'm in a dilapidated collapsing office building with a clicker and half a dozen runners and I have no goddamn idea how I'm supposed to make it through with the absurdly lovely supplies I have on hand.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

al-azad posted:

Yeah, don't Google Ghost Trick. It's one of those games like Danganronpa where one of the most common images of the game is also a major spoiler. It's a straightforward and linear puzzle game, I wouldn't even look up solutions unless you're super stuck.

gently caress this poo poo forever, I googled a spoiler free present guide for DR2 and the header image was a spoiler that wasn't even in the actual game anywhere.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Anything for Yo-Kai Watch? It didn't seem to have an entry on the wiki.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Kind of a specific question but does Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered fix the issue the original had where like 99% of controllers wouldn't recognize the second stick? That game was almost unplayable kb+m but my current PC game pads didn't seem to work with the original (which I had played in like 2005 with a really old Logitech dual stick that worked fine but has since died).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Probably a weird one but is there anything I should know about Life is Strange before going into an otherwise blind run?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Kruller posted:

Another tip for Jade Empire if you're playing the Steam version. There's a pretty nasty bug in the game where the Steam overlay murders performance, whether you look at it or not. Turning it off makes the game run fine. Unfortunately this turns it off for all the other Steam games as well.

Is this a recent bug or something that's likely to be fixed? The Steam Controller doesn't work right without the overlay and playing Jade Empire from bed on the big screen seems like it would be great.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Anything for Freedom Wars?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Dishonored is fantastic. The best advice you can have playing it is not to worry about ghosting runs too much - I did mostly nonlethal throughout the game and then slaughtered literally hundreds of people on the last two levels and still got the best ending. There's a ton of cool murder gadgets and at some point you should let loose and have fun with them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

paco650 posted:

One thing to note is that the style is "whalepunk" and that style is RELENTLESS. If you didn't like how it looked/felt/sounded in the first mission, you might as well stop because that poo poo's never ever going to change. It's kinda neat though, a sort of different take on Victorian sensibilities that isn't loving steampunk.

Keep playing past the first level until you meet the Outsider at least. It's a really cool looking area compared to the first level (which is just a grimy prison).

There is one more thing to know about Dishonored: leaving unconscious bodies on the ground will make them corpses. Rats will eat unconscious people, but they can't climb onto tables or boxes or anything.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I have a few basic questions about Disgaea 4.

-What good does reincarnating/stored levels do? Obviously reincarnating with higher base stats is good (as is reincarnating to better versions of the same archetype) but overall it still seems like a net loss.

-I'm doing Chara World to get some magic on some non-magic characters - this is the only way to do it, right? In 3 I thought you could just have a unit stand next to a unit they sired and you'd be able to cast all their spells and retain them for yourself when they hit Lvl 2 or something.

-On that note what in the hell determines what can and can't be lifted in Chara World? Obviously they don't let you lift Geo Blocks in mono-color stages because that would prevent CW from being a horribly unfun slog (and that's clearly the point), but I've seen two stages now where I was able to lift one Geo Block, throw it to eliminate some other ones in a chain, and then be unable to lift any other Blocks at all until I'd cleared like half the level with skills and regular attacks. EDIT: figured this one out, Disgaea doesn't let you lift a Geo Block touching another of the same color. It comes up so rarely in Item World that I'd forgotten all about it. D'oh.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 11, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

PJOmega posted:

In Disgaea stat growth per level is based off of your l1 stat. So a 10 strength gains 10 strength per level on a 100% growth character. 20 starting strength therefore doubles your stats at any level.

That's off of memory but should be right.

Yeah I get that aspect but if you reincarnate at the highest level mana cost (and thus the best base stats) then you don't really have any reason to, right? I guess my question really could be rephrased as "what, if anything, does the Stored Level contribute to a reincarnated unit's stats."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

In order:
-If you have the other games and are trying to play them in order, I'd suggest skipping Returns and starting with Dragonfall. The campaign in Returns is pretty bad and the combat system got improved a lot between games. If you really want to play through Dead Man's Switch, you can import it into Dragonfall or HK and play it with updated mechanics.

I can't speak to updated mechanics but I don't recommend skipping Dead Man's Switch at all if you were a fan of Shadowrun's (or even Earthdawn's) worldbuilding. The whole game is a love letter to some of the central setting conceits and while it means that if you've ever read a Shadowrun sourcebook the "twist" is more of a countdown to the characters figuring out what you already know, it's really fun interacting with all these major players from the world.

And now I want to finally play Dragonfall.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I grabbed Rimworld on a whim after jonesing for a sci fi DF for years and seeing it mentioned in one of the PYF threads. I've been playing for maybe an hour now and it's really cool, just wondering if there are any things I should watch out for.

I also have a character from the random quickstart who can't do like 3/4s of the kinds of work there are - it seems like that's due to her background story and there's no way around it, right? Just checking.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

SMT: Soul Hackers? I know basic SMT stuff but I'm wondering about game specific things like MC stats.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Zushio posted:

I've played more games than I would like to admit like this. The game looked really rough and ugly last I saw it. Is it at least mechanically sound?

I outright hated the first ten minutes but I've played for a few hours now and the dash mechanic stuff is actually really fun. The game is ugly as sin and the level design is putrid garbage but I'm having fun despite that.

Some things I'll add:

-The shoulder button diagonal jumps are super useful and will save your rear end all the time in boss fights - the jump one has I-frames and the jump and shoot one is the only way to get the buster aimed down, for example to kill the sticky lightning rod things the Volt boss shoots.

-Down + dash increases the amount you crouch during a dash so much you can slide right under most enemy shots. There's at least one place in the game where you need to use it to progress and the game will throw a tool tip at you about it, but your life will be much easier if you start using it to dodge early.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Erdos posted:

Just bought RimWorld on steam and I didn't see anything in the first few pages of it's thread. Any tips?

Rush researching microelectronics followed by gun turrets to buy some really decent early security.

Never ever ever ever build your colony under a mountain ever.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Dwarf Fortressing into a mountain as a starter base sounds like a good idea but in reality it takes forever to mine out rooms and when you finally do the whole place will be dark and filthy. Dirty rooms give a negative mood, if your whole base is dirty then people will go insane pretty fast.

This is not at all why you don't want to dig into mountains.

If you do have problems with your base being dark and filthy set your most annoying colonist up with only cleaning and hauling duties. Don't forget to also train some animals to haul. And if things are dark, put lights in.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

1redflag posted:

No Man's Sky?

There's a glitch that can bite you in the rear end when you're shopping and buying multiples of items that don't stack. Let's say you're at a terminal and there are four Suspension Fluids available and you decide to click the "buy" up to all four. Complete the purchase, your money gets deducted, but if you didn't have suit slots to accommodate all four of them they're lost for good and you're out that much cash. Always buy unstackable items one at a time.

Remember that beacons are in 3D space, even when you're on a planet. One early quest sent me to a factory that even though I was flying towards the popup kept staying at about 20 minutes away. I had to pop out of atmo and pulse jump to the other side of the planet to get to the beacon.

The melee+jetpack thing is invaluable and I think might be intentional - it seems to reset the cool downs on both actions, and one of my exosuit mods gave me a better jet pack that makes it absurdly good.

"Anyone got any quick tips before I fire up this game, that they could post in this thread for quick tips before firing up this game?
"Sure, just read this 300-page thread, friend! I'm a huge prick!!" that's not a word filter.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I lost my drat mind and bought a Wii U and a ton of games, what can people tell me about Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

al-azad posted:

Don't even do an image search. There's official character art that straight up spoils the ending.

Seriously, this cannot be emphasized enough. I found a "spoiler free" gift guide that had, as its header image, a huge loving spoiler about Danganronpa2. It's absurd.

Going to disagree about turning the trials to Easy though - the mini games are all kind of clunky, yeah, but I still found them strangely satisfying to complete.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

This isn't really the right thread for it but I can't find the old recommend me a game thread - are there any cool mecha games out right now with lots of customization options and stuff? I have AC For Answer sitting on a shelf here but I've never played an Armored Core game and would have to find a controller for my fall asleep to Netflix machine PS3, and I'm sure something better has come out since then anyway.

I have pretty much every system other than the XBone, as well as a pretty gnarly gaming PC.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Thanks for all the mech game recommendations everyone, I guess I'm firing up For Answer tonight. Any tips before I start since I've never really done an AC game before?

Also for the DanganRonpa stuff, while basically every piece of information everywhere on the internet spoils something or other, I felt like the story really wasn't super strong to begin with - it's really more the experience overall. So even if you spoil yourself on the final antagonist of either game, it really isn't the worst thing in the world.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ghost of Starman posted:

This is... kinda embarassing to ask, but: I just picked up Battlefield: Bad Company 2 when it was on Steam Sale. I think the last "pure" FPS I played was, like... Unreal Tournament. And dicking around in single player has confirmed that, yes, the FPS has evolved a bit over the intervening decade, and I suuuuck. :blush:

Rather than getting pissed (goddamn hitscan psychic bullshit AI snipers :rant:) I'm going to assume it's my expectations & playstyle that need to be recalibrated (I must've died over a dozen times in the first real firefight, in the snowy village. And the South American village was a pure clusterfluffle right up until my game crashed). Anyone have any tips for surviving modern military shootmans gameplay in general, and/or B:BC2's highly-destructible environments in particular? Or if there's a general "modern shootmans" thread I could go to...?

Uh it's really definitely worth knowing that snipers in BFBC2 are not hitscan at all and model bullet drop and time to target.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Is there a universally liked guide to RE/make? I'm pretty sure I own Resident Evil on literally every system it's ever been released on including a couple of Japanese import copies of Biohazard and I've never gotten very far in the game. I know it can be beaten in a couple of hours if you know what you're doing and I'm looking for a nice quick game right now, but running down dead end hallways for hours sounds like a drag.

don't judge me, I got most of them for like a buck or two at most, I don't make a habit of buying tons of editions of a game I don't particularly like.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

That is now on my list though $40 it currently is is too much for a COD.

The twist I was talking about is you were the bad guy all along.

That's not really the plot twist in any of the BLOPS games, it's pretty much the surface reading - I mean, they're called Black Ops for a reason.

But if you like shooters at all you really owe it to yourself to try BLOPS3. I do not like CoD games - past MW2 I kept buying them every year to play with friends for a month or so but they never held my interest at all. BLOPS3 is so, so much better than the rest of the series (as far as I've played, at least) that it's kind of crazy.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Anything for Offworld Trading Company?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Wrecking Skyrim with a bow is even easier than that, the Bound Bow buffed by the Mystic Binding perk is the most powerful bow in the game DPS-wise and its only requirement is 50 Conjuration and the mana to cast it. Comes with infinite arrows and a free Soul Trap effect with Soul Stealer too.

Really though, that game falls apart in front of stealth no matter which weapon you use.

Bound Bow is great but lol at calling it the best bow in the game DPS-wise in response to a post about the enchant+alchemy loop. I mean, my bow does 1600 damage on hit plus fire damage, but sure, I'm sure Bound Bow is very nice, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Another thing for Pokemon Sun and Moon
- Unless you are constantly adding/removing/rotating members of your team, or intentionally want the main game to be as easy as possible, keep your EXP Share turned off. It essentially almost quadruples (350%) the amount of XP you get from battles, and the game is already not exactly hard.

This is obviously just my opinion, but I'm going to argue that if you're not constantly rotating your team in Sun/Moon you're missing out. Besides, since you can choose which Pokémon gets sent to a box when you catch one and your party is full (as opposed to the new catch automatically getting shunted off into cyberspace) it's easier than ever to keep checking out new monsters.

This also makes it the first game where the Heal Ball isn't completely and utterly useless by the time you get one.