Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

paco650 posted:

I'm only a couple hours into the game, but maybe I can help:

-Play on Easy
-Terminal messages that have door codes in them are highlighted in your Log
-Don't be afraid to haul rear end from enemies; stealth turtling only goes so far
-Do be afraid at all other times
-Hacking the air conditioning gives you refreshing spring mist action, does not conceal you from murderous crazies, rampaging androids, xenomorphs.

Yeah i'm on easy mode and have only had maybe a half dozen annoying deaths. I don't know how anyone would want to play on hard and add 4-6 hours to the length of the game on reloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

Anything for Alien: Isolation that'll make the game more enjoyable, but not completely neuter the challenge?

don't crawl unless you are in the same room as an enemy. don't run unless you are either before or after the alien portion of the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

for farcry 4 make sure you take 2 outposts without being spotted asap because it unlocks faster movement and that's a godsend in that game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

juliuspringle posted:

Ok so, with that mod in Breakdown if I hit a Juggernaut with a truck the truck won't take damage right? Because if that's so than the mod isn't working for me.

I think theres a bug in the base game where if you back over zombies it doesnt do damage to the car. just do that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xander77 posted:

You craft a potion once, you get a potion item with a certain # of charges (I think the charges are affected by your skills). When you meditate, any potions refill their charges if you have alcohol in your inventory, one per potion that needs to be refilled.

from playing the game, it seems like its actually just one alcohol for all your potions and bombs to refill at once.

You meditate, one booze disappears, all your stuff is full.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Proest witcher tip.

underwater you swim directly away from the camera so get used to steering with the right stick rather than the left when geralt is wet while also pushing the left stick forward to keep him moving. if you can get creative and hold x while doing this you'll go faster.

if you try to do it any other way you will be very frustrated.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xander77 posted:

Anything I should know about Apotheon?

in hades, just run.

if the game crashes or breaks its normal

the save file size is over 300mbs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xander77 posted:

What?

*Checks*

No. The whole save folder is 25 mb.

i assumed ps4 since it was a freebie this year, where it will cost you 1/3rd of your total cloudsave space to play.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Skilleddk posted:

Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but the shield you pick up is still goddamn useful for your first playthrough. Keep it up when exploring new areas, enemies can jump out of nowhere and at least you'll block one hit. Then you obviously switch to 2-handed, pistol or torch, in actual combat the shield is loving awful. It's meant to protect you against surprise hits.

a shameful post.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just cause 2:
what weapons/vehicles do I want to max?
Whats the best source of ammo other than buying guns/going back to a stronghold? I never seem to find any

Pillars of eternity:
What kind of main character builds are fun?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

-Limited fast travel
-Running draining stamina, so you can't do it perpetually (you can enchant items to get around this, but it's extra work to accomplish a thing that most games are smart enough to just do by default)

these are in tons of games released more recently. witcher 3 comes to mind.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

one thing to know about transistor: the move planning tool doesn't account for knockback so any combos you do with moves that reposition enemies will fail to fully connect unless you do those moves last.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the pace of battle is really slow and you spend a lot of time running away on cooldown. i hope they make bastion 2

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there is not only a tales thread but also a general rpg thread

Fat Samurai posted:

I don't have time to play 50 hour RPGs several times anymore. What class/race combo should I choose in Pillars of Eternity to see as much of the game as possible in a single pass?

i asked a few pages ago they said druid is super good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does FM3's combat system get deeper as you progress? I played the first 6-7 missions and it feels like a standard tactics game. I had hoped i could have my guys moving in and out of cover to shoot on the same turn and that i would be able to target specific systems on enemies but so far it hasn't happened and i'm getting bored.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my shop in fm3 is items only. I just infiltrated the base for the flight plans on alisa's story mode. when do i get to buy parts? is there a password i can use to speed this along?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nm i figured it out

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 15, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

once you pass through the steamy room in AV you must keep going forward (up and right) until you loop back around. you cannot go back the way you game. your run will be 2 hours longer than it should be if you don't know this because you get a lot of movement upgrades and none of them are enough to get you back over the gap.

then the lovely boss fights start. oh boy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

blackguy32 posted:

Bloodborne again.

How can I level myself up?

find a boss to get your first point of insight or use a madman's knowledge item. you must have a point in the games insanity meter for the level up person to be awake in the dream

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

The insight vendor messengers will stop taking to you completely if you don't have enough

Incorrect. :eng101: this was patched to be just one point instead of 10

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow, what the gently caress?

Dude I already answered him, literally the post below his question. And I did a better job than you. AND I used spoiler tags, since he explicitly asked for spoiler-free assistance.

Lol

Eat the cords. 2 guaranteed, 2 you can gently caress yourself out of. 3 are needed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything for Arkham Knight that I wouldn't know from playing asylum and city to death?

I'm not too worried about collectibles or 100%ing the game, more interested in any gameplay stuff I need to know, and in any must-have upgrades (there's an overwhelming number of upgrades)

I'm on ps4 so hopefully I'm in the clear for bugs and such

change the tank mode controls to toggle instead of hold and save yourself the aggravation

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah upgrade batmobile combat as much as you can so that it is over faster because once you've done one encounter the novelty wears off fast and there are very many to do

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

I've started playing the Wither 3. When's a good time to download the free DLCs and start using them?

the earliest dlc armors and weapons get put in the first merchant's inventory in white orchard so you can use those from the start.
I never found the other ones they go to some merchant somewhere else i guess so you'll be level appropriate by the time your find them (and even if you aren't you can up the difficulty to rebalance things)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

Oh man, loved that game. Uuuuh, kind of hard to think of things you'd need to know beforehand though since it's been so long since I played it. You're kinda sorta meant to play through it three times with one god being your patron and its polar opposite being your enemy, which unlocks the "real" ending. I also remember getting the purple god's power to be something that's off the beaten path so you may want to look that up.

the game is basically rock paper scissors with the three gods colors so my tip would be don't be color blind because every puzzle is choosing the right color.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you tire of the sanity gimmicks its super easy to jog in a circle for 20 seconds to get the mana to cure yourself. you can take them totally out of the game if you want which seems pretty strange unless there was a lot of division over the issue among the designers.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

African AIDS cum posted:

I'm playing Fire Emblem on GBA, like 9 chapters in, 3 characters have already died, I guess I won't get them back? Am I supposed to start over? Or can you restart missions where people died? I have no clue how to play this. Is there a right way to do it?

just keep playing you're fine. don't be like me and shut the system down everytime you gently caress up. be a perfectionist on the next run.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

you can beat all of FE:A on normal with only 4 characters. the 2 the game requires you to use each hiding in a pairing with the super knight you aren't supposed to use because he can't level very far but blocks all damage and the merchant lady with the 99% evasion who never takes damage.

basically don't put too much thought into your decision making unless as they said above, you are going all our hardcore.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

What should I know before playing Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes?

I've not played a Metal Gear game before, but I'm really interested in the setting of Phantom Pain so thought I would give this a go.

read the in game manual because there is almost no tutorial and the controls are very complex (but excellent once you know what they are)

experiment with everything too. don't just skulk around for a few missions and call it a day. when you are comfortable with the controls you are the master of that army base and can gently caress up whoever you want in very silly ways

in terms of backstory, just know that you are going to rescue two kids that were part of your offshore mercenary club before capture. one of them double crossed you in the previous game so getting her out is important so she doesn't spill the beans about your secrets. you hate the us military because they manipulated you on a mission to save the world from a rocket powered russian nuclear tank and you ended up having to kill your mentor and then later an AI version of her. its hosed up.

tldr: you=badass rescue the kids.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 21, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

unfortunately from what i remember the story missions hand out important items for way too long in the game so you have to play a lot of crap to get some key abilities that make the open world stuff better.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in BF you can just hold the block button until your health refills if you ever get low and the ai can't do poo poo about it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

supply drops knock out snake, enemies, even some bosses if they land on their head.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Foxhound posted:

I can't believe there isn't an entry for Bloodborne on the wiki. Anything I should know for it? I've played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1/2 to completion.

there's a learning curve coming from those slower paced games, especially if you aren't good at parry timing, but once you get it the game is much easier for the most part than its predecessors because doing damage after taking a hit heals you and you are lightning fast.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

supply drop her on the head twice guys. Free S rank without moving

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

juliuspringle posted:

Far Cry 3 complete or ultimate or whichever is $14.99 on Playstation Store right now as opposed to $40 or $50 or whichever 4 is (I'm not checking) I've never FINISHED a Far Cry game (I found the first one to be really slow) so I figured I'd grab 3 and if I liked it I'd get 4 eventually since I'd heard they are similar.

they are the same game in different locations with more toys in 4.

like if there weren't mountains in the 4 skybox you could easily get confused which one you are playing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

those games looked kind of unfun to play.

yeah standing in a gas room with a locked door and taking off your mask to try each of your 10 key cards on the door is not fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

riot smg is the best secondary non lethal. burkov pistol fully upgraded to silenced non lethal is great too. WU is too slow imo but if you're good at aiming it doesn't matter

if you used quiet go with an AR or shotgun and the cluster missile launcher

if you use d walker rolll with silenced sniper and the semi auto grenade rifle

with dog or horse you can do whatever.

everything else is just for fun. :3 water gun :3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'll say this though; I've had a FOB for a few weeks now and I honestly don't think I've been attacked even once

same. i wont draw firstblood

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fox engine was built to be optimized for multiplat releases and does its job really well for what will now only be used as a yearly soccer game engine going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

you will get enough points to fully upgrade everything except like one main weapon by the end of the game. just prioritize the cestus and one other of your choice until you max them.