Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

What I'd add to Magres:

Vaegirs: Vaegir Marskmen are actually quite good, they just don't have high-damage crossbows like the Rhodok Sharpshooter and so aren't as good in sieges. However, their higher rate of fire makes em comparable or even better in field battles.

Ranged: Throwing DOES suck and Bows ARE really good, but don't overlook crossbows as an option. A siege crossbow lobbing steel bolts is the most dude-killing firepower any single ranged weapon packs. Bring one and 3 large sacks of bolts to a siege and you can often win that poo poo single-handedly.

Final: For all that it seems like a game about warfare or something, it's really a medieval economics simulator as much as anything: Build a profitable business in every town. Trade for profit. Do people's quests for money. Once you get a couple heroes with high Trainer, turning a buncha Recruits into top-tier troops is quick and easy, but it never stops being expensive. Especially in the late game, how much money can you piss into leveling up dudes how fast is going to be the major limiting factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Diplomacy's probably the best Warband mod in terms of Vanilla+ action. There's also a Pre-Battle Orders and Deployment mod that's available packaged together with Diplomacy. Both mostly add features and interface tweaks with only minor gameplay changes. I highly recommend Diplomacy as it adds a trio of mooks to help you run a government with their dialogue menus.

Notable Diplomacy Features:

Send out recruiters to accumulate appropriate ethnic Recruits and drop them back off at your castle/town.
Send out caravans to take gifts to lords/ladies/settlements to improve relations.
Have one of your mooks train dudes in the garrison automatically.
Store lots of junk in inventories accessed by talking to the three mooks.
Set leaderless Patrols (their unit cap is your unit cap) to defend stuff (NPCs do this too)

All such conveniences cost denars, of course, and you have to pay the three mooks just to stand around even when you're not using them for anything, so it's pretty balanced.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Magres posted:

This sounds really great, one of the worst things about vanilla M&B:WB is that you have to hang around your towns and castles constantly to defend them. Getting assigned a town on a border with an unfriendly country is the least fun thing ever because you have to camp it the rest of the game if you ever want money out of it.

This is still a major factor as your patrols act just like lords and will run away from groups larger/more powerful than them. They also aren't particularly smart in terms of "I should go join the combat where a minor lord of my faction is losing to an enemy lord, rather than the one where one of our caravans is winning against some bandits." Still, the little bastards are great for bandit suppression, just be sure a leaderless group will still be fast enough. This means using cavalry troops exclusively or near exclusively in your patrols if you expect them to ever catch Steppe or Desert Bandits.

The other downside to patrols is that they're also stupid when it comes time to decide whether or not to take freed captives of a defeated group into their group or not. I sure am glad my 70 Khergit Lancer, 70 Khergit Veteran Horse Archer patrol decided they needed those farmers and peasant women they saved from some bandits and now go like half as fast.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Shadowrun Returns

Surprisingly not on the wiki, so wsikbip?

Also, Dead Man's switch is the default campaign and Dragonfall is the DLC, right? The two are in the same "start a new campaign" menu and Dragonfall is apparently recommended as the default new campaign. Any reason not to start with it?

No reason not to start with Dragonfall. The Dead Man's Switch original campaign does not tie in to Dragonfall, and like a lot of toolbox RPG sets the original pack-in campaign is a bit lackluster. DMS isn't bad; it just isn't particularly good. And that's despite a fairly strong start.

Still talking about warband posted:

M&B Warband advice:

Stat build for PC:

10 is the cap for a skill and there are often books you can read for +1 in a skill. So pumping charisma to 27 for leadership 9 and then reading the Life of Alexinius book gets you to the Leadership cap with "only" 27 charisma. Other charisma-based skills aren't really worth maxing. 12 str/agi will let you use all the armor, the vast vast majority of weapons and all the riding 4-required horses like Heavy Chargers or Heavy Sarranian Warhorses. I would not consider taking str/agi past 12 initially unless I was using bows and aiming for a very high power draw bow (power draw 7-8 or something.) For intelligence skills, inventory management and persuasion are the only ones that really matter to have on the PC rather than one of the NPC heroes.

Stat build for NPC hero:

Much like with the PC, 12 str/agi grants access to nearly all the good gear in the game, excepting only certain Champion horses, some heavy 2h bludgeons and high power-draw bows. Charisma pretty much only matters for leadership on these guys and only on the ones you're planning to spin off as lords in their own right later. Otherwise it's int-monkeys all the way down. I like to have the heroes focus on 2 skills apiece (ex: Borcha does Tracking and Pathfinding) in addition to getting all their relevant combat skills up to the 12 str/agi cap of 4. "Looting" is really the only odd man out as it's a group skill that's not int-based, but it's also easily the least import group skill to get up high. A huge roster of int-monkeys means there's lots of Trainer to go around as well. Really, anyone at any time with an "extra" skillpoint can throw it in Trainer.

Note in neither case am I saying it's bad to go past 12 str/agi (the extra damage from higher power strike can definitely be nice) but 12 is definitely the point of diminishing marginal returns for str/agi due to meeting all but a select few equipment requisites.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Gynovore posted:

The people on the Skyrim threads will tell you "Dear God, Skyrim is utterly unplayable without mods X,Y, and Z!!!" Ignore them, it's a very good game out of the box. Magic is a tad weak but not horrible.

That said, a UI mod isn't a bad idea. Also, if you are going magic, try "Apocalypse Magic". It adds about a hundred spells that are fun but not unbalancing.

UI mod for sure, even first time, and an unofficial patch/bugfix mod.

Honestly as far as magic goes I found it more boring than underpowered on vanilla. For straight damage-dealing magic's weak, particularly due to not working with sneak attack, but there are enough useful utility spells to make spellsword or magethief type characters viable. Relying on magic for primary damage dealing (and not, say, just to provide a decent ranged attack and some utility/buff spells to go with sword-chopping) isn't great, though.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Print out the birthdays for the villagers and their favorite gifts. You can find out this information ingame but it's only through events or dialogue.

Don't just toss items on the ground. This counts as garbage. Make sure you put weeds and such into the bin.

Your first year is going to suck when it comes to festivals.

Upgrade your ax, watering can, and hammer.

Don't leave animals outside in the rain. Don't leave your puppy outside until he's grown.

If I recall, your crops can be watered twice a day.

Try to ship 100 of each crop for each season -- this unlocks special crops.

I can't remember too much beyond these.

This is pretty solid. I'd only really add:

DO:
Get a basket ASAP
Take the basket with you when mining in the mining cave so you can cram lots of valuable ores in to sell; this is the best/only way to make any meaningful cash in winter.
Chop lumber like a motherfucker; you'll need it for house upgrades; can't get married without house upgrades.
Buy all the cooking utensils for sale on TV

DO NOT:
get exhausted while mining and lose your basket. Seriously stop at the point you literally fall over from exhaustion, but before you fall over and can't get back up.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

Was Kingmaker any good? I bought TWO disc copies of NWN Diamond and lost them both, and when I got around to rebuying the game on GoG so I didn't have to mess with discs anymore apparently Kingmaker was excised for it's M rating. Am I actually missing anything by not playing it?

(Also how many years does it take you to block the "Aye, it's done!" sound bite from memory? I'm going on three or four years now...)

E: Maybe I'm alone in this but NWN2's user interface is a huge step back from the one in NWN. I have no idea why they went to that menu system, is there some advantage I'm missing?

Kingmaker was totally forgettable and may well still be available on sites with downloadable campaigns anyway.

For whoever's looking at playing NWN for the first time, here's my build recommendation for the lackluster original campaign:

Rogue/Ranger/Wizard. You're really only dipping ranger for the two-weapon fighting, ambidexterity and martial weapon proficiency so you can snag exotic weapon proficiency and dual-wield kukris. Similarly having any wizard levels at all opens up some side-quests that are "spellcaster only" but give no fucks how good (or not) you are at spellcasting. The OC also has a lovely built-in crafting subgame that's only for "spellcasters" regardless of ability. Otherwise, rogue is probably the single most broken class in 3.0/3.5 D&D *and* NWN extra-breaks it by making sneak attack damage multiply on a crit (it shouldn't) which means kukris are *THE* rogue weapon to have. Take the cleric as your henchman and pretty much all the bases are covered.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Doesn't the base campaign have a metric effton of crit immune enemies?

Yeah OC has fairly limited crit immune enemies, and they're almost universally undead, so whenever your ranger/rogue/wizard will suck, your cleric henchman will wreck. Really the hardest foes doing an OC playthrough as the build I suggested are the Bodaks at the very end of the OC's first chapter where you're facing the evil cleric's undead minions

Edit: And they aren't that dangerous due to being crit immune; it's that whole will-save gaze attack instant death bullshit they pull. If anything, dipping a few wizard levels helps you more there than in any other chapter, for having at least 2-3 levels of a will-save-primary class in your build.

chairface fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 21, 2014

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm still sucking at 7 Days To Die

When you spawn in, goal 1 is to make a stone axe with a sharpened rock, plant fibers, and a stick. Get the stick by punching bushes, find a rock on the ground and craft it to get a sharp one, punch grass to get some grass and then craft it to get plant fibers.

Next priorities are a crossbow and a decent club. The crossbow is just sticks and plant fibers, and the stone axe makes harvesting more of that stuff easy. A decent club (and which club to use) is gonna depend on how much scrap iron (2 empty cans = 1 scrap iron) you can get before needing a club. Look up the wooden club, barbed club, and iron reinforced club.

The crossbow really makes a huge difference in your ability to handle zombies, especially bloated walkers and tundra zombies like the big frozen lumberjack guys; 1 bolt to the head drops anything but a cop on default difficulty, whereas even with a top-tier club multiple swings are required.

Day 1 the two big gates to overcome are getting a Forge Ahead book (allows you to craft a forge with rocks and an iron pipe; break toilets to get an iron pipe if zombies don't drop one first for you) and a cooking pot (needed to boil water and avoid dysentery.)

As you progress, an important thing to remember about 7 days to die is the "heat" system; things that attract zombies are "heat" and too much "heat" in an area spawns a group of spider zombies (fuckers who can claim, and can scream to summon a horde.) Dead animal carcasses, smells (from carrying meat, etc), using a forge or cookfire, torches, noise from crafting or opening/closing containers, gunshots, etc all attracts zombies. So do as much of these things as possible AWAY from wherever you're sheltering overnight. The Final Solution is to live down at bedrock and put your forges/campfires at the bottom of a chunk a handful of chunks away from your fortress. Some areas (burned forest or wasteland biome, urban areas) have slightly different heat rules; in heavily built up areas it pays to rely on stealth, crossbows and clubs rather than loud shotgun blasts.

Finally, the zombies seem both durable and hard-hitting early, but once you have at least a set of leather armor (read the leather tanning book to learn leather crafting) and a spiked club (requires 4 iron ingots from your forge) anything shy of a horde attack becomes pretty trivial. Once firearms and powertools enter the mix, even a horde is no big deal.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

sick trigger posted:

anything for Red Dead Redemption that isn't on the wiki? i'm playing the GOTY edition if that changes anything

The biggest thing I wish I'd known before playing that game:

Soon after teaching you how to break wild horses (like, THE very next mission) the game will give you a rope. Wait for the rope to try catching and breaking a top-tier horse. It took me over an hour to trap one in a box canyon where I could manage to get onto it without using a rope. :smithicide:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Warbird posted:

Good lord man, I can't imagine messing with that for that long. Were you not aware of the rope being in the game prior to that?

First time I'd played, and I did not have a thread like this. I thought it was supposed to be hard to get a top tier horse.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Pengu! posted:

Is there anything I should know before I play Ultima 4? The wiki was kind of sparse on the game.

Don't steal from blind shopkeepers.
The most humble is the one who does not boast of his humility.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Expanding a bit on the Dokapon advice:

Job masteries are one of the few things people can't take away from you and that have no negative effect on how the game will treat you or your overall progression. Get as many jobs mastered as fast as possible.

Pro tips for job mastery: In general you get job points for doing things your job does. So ideally always fight with a weapon that does bonus damage for your job type, as using an appropriate weapon matters. Otherwise, if you're a thief, steal things, rob stores, etc. Warriors should get into lots of fights. Magicians should cast spells both in battle and on the world map. Fighting poo poo lower level than you with a class-appropriate weapon (even if it's not the best pure damage output weapon you could otherwise buy) is a great way to grind out job masteries without gaining levels.

Why would you want to not gain levels? Well, here's the thing, remember how level ups get better as you have more jobs mastered, because each job mastered is +1 to a stat with each level up. So the more jobs you have mastered when you get a given levelup, the more stats you'll gain from the level. It can actually be problematic to level up too fast/early without having mastered many jobs, as by the endgame people who did work on their jobs harder will have considerably better stats.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

More KSP tips: If you do go for the career/sim mode option of collecting science to unlock new parts, be aware there's a shitload of science to be had just for exposing goo samples to different biome types and atmo levels. Don't be afraid to make a ScienceCar or SciencePlane just to fly around your home planet and expose goo for free science and thus new rocket parts.

My favorite first-mission science whoring is shamelessly stolen (probably from Manley?) and called rocket surgery. The basic "can of boom" solid boosters available for your first mission don't have any available stage seperation rings. But you can always just stack those cans of boom and rig your staging to fire em in order. Don't worry, the rocket exhaust from the next one will burn away the husk of the old one! With this technique you can actually go to orbit and back on your very first rocket test, which is worth a fuckload of the aforementioned science and thus new rocket parts. So you can maybe make a ScienceCar that is less insane than the Rocket Surgery model of blowing SRBs the gently caress up with your own exhaust.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

X-Com Enemy Within - I'm about mission four or five into this game, and it just seems unbelievably difficult. I am presently assaulting an alien base, I have a sniper, heavy and support guy and two mooks - there are trios of chrysalids who can kill 1.5 dudes per turn and then turn them into zombies. The Chrysalids have got 8 HP or so and zombies 10 HP, and the most damage I can possibly do is around 6-7 per turn. I managed to get past the first section after a few reloads but I'm in a room with 2 beam drones, 2 stealth guys and 3 chrysalids and it just seems completely impossible.

Is it the intent for me to fail this/some/most missions including having my 'best' guys die? Is it the intent to save and reload multiple times for the perfect execution?

It's perfectly viable to get through the whole game on Normal or even Classic without ever failing a mission, and without ever losing anyone important (always possible to lose random squaddies to crits, etc, early.) Particular savants manage it on Impossible Ironman even, but they're both getting lucky and are very very good on those runs.

If you're having trouble with Chrysalids, the important thing to remember is they only have melee attacks and have to come to you. If you move-overwatch, and aren't shy about using grenades, Chrysalids aren't that problematic. I think you're mistaken about attacking an alien base rather than a downed/landed UFO.... if you're not though, that's midway through the plot and you should've done way more than 4-5 missions before then.

The beam drones are meant to repair stronger mechanical units and do fuckall on their own besides plink; The stealth guys can ONLY strangle someone, which automatically decloaks them. S'long as people stay bunched up and mutually covering with overwatch, the stealth drones become non-issues as well.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for Kerbal Space Program? Just starting going through the tutorials.

Early mission priorities are basically to rack up science. Taking readings from the capsule, exposing science goo/labs to different biomes, even on Kerbin itself, will rack up the science points quickly. Once you've got enough science to unlock some reasonable parts, consider first building a ScienceCar and a SciencePlane to tour Kerbin and suck up all the juicy science your home planet has to offer. Then start looking at missions and putting things in orbit. Taking space tourists for rides to low orbit is an easy way to bring in some funds if money's a problem.

Once you're serious about attempting missions more complicated than tossing a satellite into orbit and parachuting back down in the capsule, it'd be a good idea to head to youtube. Unless you already work for NASA or something, you'll want such videos to explain orbital mechanics, how to actually get to the Mun, etc. Manly in particular does a great job explaining such stuff so you can smear muppets onto other planets with lego spaceships.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Score me as another vote for "That squaddie being the first to corporal is worth 2 alien weapon fragments - Grenade out" as an early strat. Keep good men alive, gear will come. That said yeah, get armor then lasers fast, pick up other utility crap, come back for more armor and plasma, the last utility crap.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Nothing in the wiki for these, anything for Fatal Frame 1 and 2?

IIRC, 2's decidedly less stingy with film, but like the other guy said it's still way more important to get good solid shots ("zero shots" etc) than to try to make quick shots. Also notable, if faced with multiple ghosts, you can (and likely should) switch between targets to keep one or more stunned at any given time. The goal is still to focus on quality over quantity in your shots; the solid hits stun longer too. Don't be scared to use the fancier film, particularly in 2.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

You don't really need to play the tutorials. If you're new, my biggest suggestion would be to start with one of the setups that gives you a lot of starting stuff in terms of ship/station platform and just play around with that stuff for a while. Don't worry about tearing it up cuz you can always just start over and get it all back. Play around with the starting stuff and then think about how you could make those ships better. Check out the platform/station setup you have and think about how you could make it better. Try building a ship of your own! Fail miserably several times! It's all part of the game.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

If you played Tropico 4, build less churches more entertainment, and parking lots are smaller and work better.

General Tropico 5 stuff not related to 4:

1. Immigration: Options are to let everyone in, which will get you a shitload of immigrants. Or you can close yourself like a hermit state (no one in, no one out) or a modern Visa Program. If you set your immigration policies to a Visa Program to bring in more educated workers, it really brings you more grade school educated workers over outright illiterates. So even if you have a shitload of high schools and colleges, adults with primary school educations immigrating will still need jobs for the uneducated. Note these primary school-educated immigrants are STILL better than outright illiterates at jobs that illiterates can do.

2. Labor: Making sure you have enough jobs for illiterates (primary school educated people still can only do 'illiterate' jobs but are better at them) is one of the bigger challenges if you're not closing yourself off from the world. As mentioned above, even if you have enough education for every tropican child to go to college, immigrants will still stick you with workers who need 'illiterate jobs' unless you go North Korean. Two big pitfalls to avoid in this area are your Military policy (I do NOT advise requiring soldiers to have a high school education; the military is an easy way to slap down some jobs for illiterates without much infrastructure) where any choice but Conscription excludes illiterates from military service. Another easy mistake to make is that plantations employ illiterates, but once upgraded to factory farms they require high school educated workers. For this reason it may be best to do the Organic Campaign and just keep your plantations while charging extra for their products.

3. Economy: Colonial era largely sticks you with only raw material extraction. Try to set up production of intermediate materials during this time; you may be stuck selling your wool and cotton to the crown today but tomorrow it could be making vastly more money in a textile mill. logs -> planks -> furniture, or coal + iron -> steel, any chain like that where you can sell the refined product using resources produced locally is the best way to make money in the long term. Every island should have at least one cannery, as well; you've got to feed your own people and sell the excess anyway, you might as well make extra money on the whole process. Don't be afraid to import poo poo anytime someone's offering to sell you stuff for less than you can sell it for. These are especially nice deals when you have the means of refining the materials further; Cuban logs at cheaper than market rates are nice, but when I'm ultimately selling them as finished furniture that's sweeter still.

4. Military/Foreign Relations: To defend from foreign threats, defend your beaches with watchtowers and have a large enough military to drive off the attackers. Tanks are somewhat mediocre vs. equivalent era infantry squads, but require fewer employees. During the World Wars it is important to get two embassies set up quickly so you can play the Axis/Allies off each other and try to avoid/minimize how often you get invaded. From the Cold War onward, domestic threats are likely to outpace foreign ones, especially since foreign powers are more like to have the CIA/KGB get locals to rebel/stage a coup rather than invading directly.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Lucas Archer posted:

This is great stuff, thanks. I'm just trying it out, my first Tropico game, but I'm having fun. I assume all those are mainly for sandbox? I've done the tutorial, which I lost, and the first couple of campaign missions.

Yeah, pretty similar stuff though, campaign missions just tend to be smaller slices of a sandbox game and many choices will already be made for you.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I just bought Wing Commander 3 from GOG because I realized that my WC experience jumped from 1 and 2, to Privateer (and 2), then straight to Prophecy.

I missed out on all the Mark Hamill CGI video ones. :negative:

So now I'm going to rectify that. There doesn't seem to be anything for WC3 on Before I Play though, so should I assume being a mission/plot-based flight sim there's really nothing to worry about and just dive in?

I'm gonna go against the grain here. Prophecy is fun as gently caress and the early games are lead ins to the fun of Prophecy. Prophecy's final mission is you vs. infinite aliens.. If that alone didn't get your dick hard, uninstall all wing command games now and trade in your loving dick.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

IAmTheRad posted:

Any tips for Tropico 5?
I do have the complete edition.

In general you want 3 of each raw material production per factory you refine it all in. So if you want a textile mill, ideally you feed it with 3 cotton farms and 3 llama ranches for best efficiency. Same deal with Canneries, etc. Ranches need open space around them for grazing land and if properly spread out can be really great.

Parking garages and churches are no longer king poo poo like they were in Tropico 4, but teamsters can become a major limitation quickly. Try to have a teamsters office per production building/dock.

My biggest struggle in 5 is managing to keep enough educated people around to do factory jobs without getting drowned in the uneducated folks who can only work on farms or as teamsters. I highly highly highly recommend keeping your military based around Conscription (recruits do not require high school educations) and your Immigration policy set to Visa Program (nominally biases immigration towards more highly educated workers but mostly seems to get you more grade school educated folks instead of high school/college grads, still they're better than outright illiterates.)

Use the almanac to keep track of your people's needs. There's a happiness tab that'll show you instant polling on how everyone feels about every aspect of your island, and there's a people tab that makes it easy to track how many are homeless or unemployed.

Even if you weren't planning on going heavy into tourism for its own sake, it's important to build up a tourist economy infrastructure if only to provide jobs for illiterates. Hotel maids and pool cabana boys don't need high school diplomas and by the time tourism is an option, most other good jobs will.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Anything for Napoleon: Total War:? I haven't really spent much time with TW games other than the original Rome, so the whole "gunpowder" thing is strange and confusing.

Our very own Total War Megathread starts off with some handy advice in the OP regarding how to deploy an army if you're not already a qualified officer or military historian of the appropriate era. Skip past the swords/bows stuff to the gunpowder stuff and you'll get a decent idea. Basically it's not much different from pikes in that you want as long a line as possible. However, depth must also be considered because if the line gets too thin, it becomes vulnerable to a breakthrough. A similar idea that carries over is that getting shot from multiple sides sucks pretty much as bad as getting stabbed with pikes from multiple sides.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

Napolean Total War? I feel like its been asked before but found nothing on the wiki.

Check out our very own Total War Megathread

The OP has some good stuff for folks new to the series.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Regulation Size posted:

I was going to play double's advocate here but I will swallow my prize and hole-hardedly agree that Agarest has some pretty confusing systems, and I wish I could lend in hand but honestly I'm pulling a blanket here.

For all intensive purposes, you are correct.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

EYE Divine Cybermancy has so many twists most people who beat the game still aren't sure what the hell happened.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Gonna disagree with the "don't play rogues" advice on NWN1. Rogues are great fun, and undead aren't nearly as prevalent as in NWN2 so sneak attack scales and stays relevant. Splash some ranger and wizard levels to get dual wield/ambidexterity and legit caster levels for good buffs like stoneskin and haste. Be sure to max out Use Magic Device (the best skill in 3.x D&D) for extra hilarity like wearing monk robes while you do it. Kukris are a great weapon choice for maxing crit capability.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

baram. posted:

how does it work?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

You could be a grumpy grandma like me and refuse to play anything newer than GalCiv2.

Space Empires 4 :colbert:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

The correct reply was Elite/Oolite

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Been thinking about giving Fallout Tactics a serious try.
Any Fallout Tactics main character skill loadout/stat/trait recommendations?
As much as I love it, I know that Jinxed trait is not the best choice for Fallout Tactics.

It's weird and not a normal fallout build but for tactics my legit recommendation for your pc is to tag Small Guns, Barter & Gamble. Later on you can tag Energy Weapons or not, depending on how many other guys you have trying to limp Small Guns through fighting robots and how much competition there is for poo poo like gauss rifles and emp 12 gauge shells. Also in Tactics and unlike Fallout 1/2, I really really like Fast Shot. Volume of fire counts for a lot and if you're not built to be a sniper in Tactics go for that instead of aimed shots.

Basically since you get a party of 6, ample combat monsters and other standard jobtypes (doctor, medic, lockpicker, sniper, etc) are available as recruit NPCs. There's not a valid "face" NPC until midway through and he's not really ideal, however. So I like my dude to be a champ at Barter & Gamble where every time I get access to a new merchant all their good poo poo can go straight onto my various combat monsters.

EDIT: Also noteworthy in tactics you will wind up with some dudes who are really good and need to be kept in the group for their specialized skills (like Stitch, your starting doctor, who is drat near blind) but have a serious combat limitation. In Stitch's case, it's that he's got very low PE. Proper weapon assignment is the key to dealing with these characters. Give the near-sighted, good-natured doc a shotgun and suddenly him having decent Small Guns while being nearly blind makes sense. Similarly there's characters who maybe aren't very bright, skilled, or perceptive, but have a nickname like "Refridgerator." Giving that kinda guy a machinegun goes a long way to making him a valued contributor to the group dynamic.

chairface fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 7, 2018

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

Might & Magic VII? Gonna try to get through some of my GOG backlog and that's what random chance chose

Might & Magic 7 is noteworthy in that both Might and Magic are very important. Comparatively Might & Magic 6 should've been called Magic, Magic & More Magic in terms of what was important for getting through the game. 7, however, changes up a variety of systems with the end result that you'll want at least one heavy physical combat character if not more.

Like most Might & Magic games, the real path to getting stronk is abusing fountain buffs. If you find a fountain that gives a good buff, make a note of it and abuse it heavily.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Lorini posted:

Any help for Starbound? My grown son and I are going to play it today for Mother's day (we always do a multiplay of some game so he doesn't have to spend money on me) and I'd like to at least have some idea of what to do.

it's a p chill game and a good choice for this. basically the tech gates are obvious and tied to quests in the quest book so it's kinda hard to ever not know what you should be doing.

Growing stuff to get food and plant fibers seems like a bigger deal at first than it winds up being in the longrun, just cuz it's so easy to make some p bombass food off poo poo you forage alone once you're enough of a hardass to just clean out the surface of a new planet.

So like as far as planets go, the skinny's this:

more dangerous planets have better poo poo (important for the tech gating bit) but are tougher. In general there's effectively unlimited of all kinds of planets and stripping the surface/raiding settlements is an easy way to get stuff fast. Also while for the most part settlements are there for you to loot and murder, trading with some of em can get you poo poo you want/need. Some dudes are just straight up hostile no matter what though so be prepared to kill anyone you meet.

The whole build-your-own-settlement mechanic doesn't do anything really worthwhile enough to recommend it but is a fun enough diversion since it's not like it's hard either.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah, I've finally started pumping out satellites but it's a slow process. What causes enemy deployments to scale up? Is it caused by a certain amount of time passing, or does it happen when I advance the story? I'd like to just not make this hyperwave thing until I have some more upgrades and satellites, but I'm afraid I'd be screwing myself by putting it off.

Really until you have satellites over everywhere, the goal of the game is to get satellites over everywhere. If you're making progress at that steadily and aren't getting your rear end kicked scooping up the downed ufos, you're officially doing it right.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is it weird that this bizarre discussion has made me more interested in Graveyard Keeper? All that sounds bonkers

Nope, me too. Game sounds like a hoot!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

What are the pros/cons of doing the main storyline in Skyrim? I finally got it on PS4 (I can't run it on pc) so I think I should finally be able to play without it freezing unlike PS3.

There's no real downside to it but as the above guy mentioned the biggest payoff comes from killing your first dragon. If you get to a point in your loving around past that where you think "man, I'd sure like to kill more dragons" there's several avenues for that in the main storyline. Course, random bartenders and poo poo also sometimes ask you go to slay a dragon for the local jarl to get a bounty so it's not like you're locked out of killing dragons otherwise.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

I got attacked constantly by dragons when I was playing it before when it was a new game on 360. I never got around to getting that far in the main quest and was just worrying it would lock me out of stuff like Bethesda likes to do. If I end up completing the main storyline can I continue dicking around? Ever since Fallout 3 (I know they changed it with the Broken Steel addon) came out I worry about not being able to finish stuff once I get to far in.

It's not fallout 3 at all; You can finish the main quest entirely and then decide to go be a vampire or werewolf or whatever other side poo poo interested you. Or you can do all that first and come back to the main quest at level 70.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Todd Howard on game mechanics improvement: what if cliffracers, except they take half an hour to kill?

The most compelling reason to progress in the main storyline quest is to gain the ability to MAKE a dragon land and fight you instead of wasting your time while it strafes villagers or whatever. Partly this is because they're fairly hard to hit with arrows or non-scanhit destro magic while in flight unless they're hovering to use a breath weapon AND scanhit destro magic does fuckall for damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright, if you say so. I guess I'll give it a shot the next time I feel like playing Skyrim, but I'll be honest: I have a hard time believing that twelve random German modders could put out anything as fully-formed as the 90+ professionals that worked on that game, as weak as it was in certain parts of it

Now, better than the main quest? That, I'll buy.

Some of the best mods in fact just fix oversights and sloppy work by Bethesda, like the Unofficial Patch. Bethesda.... aren't exactly far above the random modders and have lifted features off them wholesale repeatedly.