Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bart Fargo posted:

There are plasmids and tonics that make the wrench the most powerful weapon in the game. Might not use it on the final boss or Big Daddies, but everything else dies in a hurry.

There's a tonic that makes you invisible if you don't move for a couple of seconds. This helps a lot when doing the research photography. Try to place yourself near where the enemies path through, and you can take lots of good close-ups when they walk by.

The plasmid that makes enemies trip security alarms (or just hacking cameras and drones) is your friend when you are doing research. You cant phontograph friendly drones, but I believe drones summoned by a friendly camera are still technically neutral. They turn up, fight the splicers, and you stand there invisible, snapping away. That way you get bonuses for action shots (they are fighting), and for "Multiple targets" (assuming you manage to get a splicer and the drone they are fighting in the same frame).

Hypnotising big daddies can be used in a similar way, but there are less opportunities to do that, and the fights tend to be a lot shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fallout 3: If you are planning on being good/neutral, do the "disarm the bomb" quest in Megaton as soon as you have high enough repair (I think its something fairly low like 25). It gets you a house where you can stash gear you arent using, but dont want to sell, in the cupboards, and a bed where you can rest.

There are characters in various places that buy specific items for more than their value. So stash any Sugar Bombs, Pre-war books (NOT "Burned book" or anything like that, books that have the title "Pre-war book"), brotherhood of steel holotags, Nuka-cola quantum and scrap metal in your house, then when you find the related characters you can fast travel back and forth making a decent amount of money. I messed up a little by drinking a ton of nuka-cola quantum before finding the woman who buys it, and now I'm scraping around looking for another 7 bottles...

There is a level cap at 20 which I hit at about halfway through the story quest because I was wandering about looking a stuff and doing sidequests. I would prioritise lock-picking and hacking because if they arent high enough when you hit level 20, there will be some doors and computers you will never be able to access.

I dont normally use guides for games, but you might consider looking up the locations of the bobbleheads, each one either gives you +10 points in a skill or +1 point to an attribute.

There is a perk that gives you +10% experience that you can take twice. I wouldnt bother unless you are going for a second playthrough just to get the "Hit level 6/12/20 as good/neutral/evil" type achievements. There is plenty in the game to level you up reasonably fast without this perk.

It is definately a good idea to take the "animal friend" (animals dont attack you unprevoked) perk BEFORE exploring the yu ghui caves. The second level of the perk is largely pointless. It means wild animals attack your enemies, but personally by the time I took it I was one-hitting raiders anyway, and the supermutants had scaled so that molerats and dogs werent exactly a problem for them. It is still quite funny, but not useful.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CordlessPen posted:

I just started playing Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. There doesn't seem to be a lot of potential for loving up, since everyone levels up at the same rate as your main team (except for XP bonuses and simulations, I guess), and you can go back to any point in the game at any time, but I just wanted to know if there was anything, particularly Simulator Discs, that I can miss and never get again.

I'm no expert (I played about half the game then gave up), but I do remember that there is one simulator disk that it is possible to miss, as its in a place you cannot go back to. I think (I'm far from 100% sure on this) that its the Deadpool simulator disk, and that its in Asgard I think.

Fake edit: I just checked, there are 2 disks you can miss and then not be able to get back to: Deadpools in Asgard and Mysterios in Murderworld.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anyone got any tips for Mercenaries 2? I picked it up cheap for something to play because there is a bit of a drought in new games I'm interested in playing for like another month. So far I've not played much more than the tutorial level.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

muscles like this? posted:

Ignore the Reverse power unless you have to use it in a scripted part. It drains power too fast and isn't really that useful for what it does.

Seconded.Thirded. And when you DO have use it in a scripted part remember that it doesnt work like Sands of Time; everything else reverses, but you are free to move while it all goes backwards(there is a bit fairly early when a corridor gets destroyed that I had to redo umpteen times because I misunderstood that)

Edit: gently caress, beaten.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Salt Block Party posted:

Derail, but, why don't more games do this? Loading screens are, in general, a necessary evil. Why is Okami the only game ever made to incorporate a minigame into the loading screen? And not just any minigame, one that provides tangible benefits to the main game if you win.

There is a company somewhere who have an extremely vague patent that gives them the the rights to the concept of "loading screen minigames" as far as I remember. No-one wants to be the one to find out if that poo poo will fly in court, so they just dont bother with loading screen minigames.

Note: I could be wrong about this.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RotationSurgeon posted:

You see all this stuff about limbs? Ignore this. Shoot enemies in the head. It hurts more. The only time you ever shoot an enemy NOT in the head is if you either can't see their head or they have a weapon so deadly you feel you need to shoot the weapon. Or if they don't have a head. But seriously just go for headshots and you'll win; the game is never really that difficult.

Particularly when there is a perk that increases accuracy with rifles (there is one for pistols too), one that increases accuracy of headshots and one that increases accuracy with each subsequent VATS shot on the same body part. So target the head multiple times. There are (very) few occasions where you might want to target a weapon instead, aside from that if you can see the head you shoot the head...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RBA Starblade posted:

All those perks are worthless now though because the patch accidentally made it so none of them actually work.

It reduced the accuracy in VATS across the board (and particularly for headshots), but as far as I'm aware they still work. Or at least the stated % chance to hit definately goes up on consecutive attacks on the same body part using that perk. This is on the Xbox 360 using a patched game.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Secret Ooze posted:

Ive got Ninja Gaiden 2 on its way right now.

How badly am I about to get my rear end beaten? Especially since I havent played an NG game since the NES days.

Some of the bosses are total pricks, but aside from that its not too bad (at least compared to my only other experience of Ninja Gaiden, Ninja gaiden black (or was it sigma? The one on the PS3) where I played it at a friends house and we died about a dozen times on the first level). I'm crap at this kind of game, and I made it to the (pretty much) last level where you refight a bunch of bosses from earlier before getting frustrated and shelving it. Having said that, I had zero shame in turning the difficulty down to acolyte (or whatever they call easy mode). I normally play games on normal or harder, but for ninja gaiden 2 I made an exception.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

muscles like this? posted:

The biggest problem was that they stuck story bits into areas that looked interesting enough to explore on their own like Rivet City and the Jefferson Memorial.

Also if you do the story up to meeting up with the Brotherhood you can actually use power armor. Since you're unable to equip it until you get trained which only the Brotherhood of Steel can do.

This is broadly true, but to be honest the storyline missions are generally some of the least interesting/fun parts of that game. I just found the sidequests much more interesting.

With that in mind, what I'd say is that to avoid really annoying sequence-breaking do the story quests up until you talk to three-dog in person. Or at least dont go exploring the three mentioned locationsrivet city, jefferson memorial and casey smiths garage. If you do then you miss out on a helpful encounter on the way to meet threedog. Specifically: If you skip over meeting three-dog and sequence break his part of the main quest then you dont meet up with lyons pride on your way to GNR, and have to fight the behemoth on your lonesome without the benefit of a looted fat mat

If you are really desperate to get power armour training so you can wear power armour, then yeah, either follow the story quest until you can learn it that way (but be aware that you are then about 75% of your way through the main quest) or do the Operation Anchorage DLC mission. You gain power armour training at the end of that, regardless of level or anything else. Depending on what type of character you play and how badly you want to abuse the game there is a reasonable arguement for not bothering with power armour most of the time anyway.

I love fallout 3, but for me at least most of the fun of it was wandering around, doing side quests and exploring. If you are so worried about accidently breaking the quest that you stick to the main quest at all times, you are going to miss out on a lot of stuff. Hell, you'd only go further north than minefield once! Best thing to do in my opinion is: Just play the game the way you want. If you havent talked to three-dog and you see any of the three named locations in my first spoiler above, just dont go inside them.

Other more generic advice:

On your way out of the vault, take pretty much everything. If it isnt nailed down take it and sell it later.

Just before you leave the fault you have the chance to change all your skills and attributes, so dont worry too much the first time you set them.

You are usually better only focusing on one or two combat skills rather than trying to be a jack of all trades. Small guns are the most common weapon type that doesnt require you to be standing on someones toes to hit them.

Most areas scale to your level reasonably well, so dont be afraid to explore. Save often though.

There is a perk that increases the number of skill points you get per level. There is also a perk that increases the number of skill points you get from reading a book. Both these perks should be taken as soon as you can!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BrokenLinux posted:

Anything helpful to know on these 2?

I'm about to give the 14 Age of Conan trial a go.

Also I'm about to play through Half-Life 2 for the first time.

Checked about 10 random pages thoughout this thread and didn't see anything.

No help for age of conan (Hell, I thought that had folded already). Halflife 2 on the other hand...

My big advice is that the game is great, but the vehicle sections kind of suck. Power through them, they dont last THAT long (most people I know who played HL2 found that the boat section ended literally minutes before they were about to quit playing). The SMG sucks but you get a decent amount of ammo for it, the combine assault-rifle dealie is awesome but you can empty it with like 5 seconds firing. Use whatever gun you currently have ammo for.

Ammo/health/shield drops are based on your current levels of each. If you have a lot of ammo then very little will drop. If you are getting your rear end kicked then there will be health packs aplenty in the crates.

If you shoot the zombies in the head then it also kill the headcrab that was animating them, saves you a bit of effort.

gently caress fast zombies. Seriously.

Learn to love the gravity gun. There is something strangely satisfying about beating combine to death with a radiator.

To be honest its a fairly straightforward game, there arent really many parts you could really get stuck at. Just enjoy it. HL2 is great, in my humble opinion the episodes are better.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I just picked up Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge on the xbox, after realising I could pick the disk up on ebay for half the price of the downloadable version. Have played the first mission or two, seems pretty good so far.

So, is there anything I should know, fun hidden planes its possible to miss, anything like that?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Secret Ooze posted:

I picked up Dark Sector last night on impulse and 'ooo boxart' for dirt cheap. I just got the glaive and am so far enjoying myself tossing it around.

Any suggestions on this one? Or pretty much just play it as a 3rd person shooter?

I didnt hate Dark Sector to be honest, although a lot of people did. Dont get me wrong, it wasnt wonderful, but it was alright, providing you got it really cheap. My main problem with it was that there was really only 3 different enemy models, they just recoloured them to pretend there was more variety. I took a break three quarters of the way through because I got sick of it, then went back and finished it off a month later.

My advice: Save your money until you get the "save $X" achievement, then spend it on the best assault rifle and pistol you can. Then upgrade them both. What upgrades are up to you as long as you include the Enefron Shells upgrade. This makes your shells emit a gas that is poisonous to the mutant baddies (and also to you, so dont run through the gas, but its pretty shortlived) and makes it do a load more damage to them.

Most of the puzzles are pretty obvious; If you are given a source of fire you are supposed to set the glaive on fire and then use it on something. Ditto electricity and so on. If you are given an ability then the next boss or puzzle will use that ability (And then in 75% of cases you will never use that ability again).

Apart from that, and the fact the invisible boss is a pain in the arse so check a FAQ if you get stuck on him, just play it like a 3rd person shooter with a steerable weapon.

Oh, and also I didnt read the manual when I played it, so it took me a while to work out why you keep dropping the weapons; All the weapons the baddies drop have a chip on them which makes them self destruct after a certain amount of time, the weapons you buy dont.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I just got given Oblivion on the 360 by a mate of mine who loved Fallout and thought he'd give it a try. He hated it. I'm looking for any kind of generic tips for it really. I know there is something wierd about the levelling that makes it possible for you to make the game impossible by accident, but I dont know much more than that.

I'm just out the starting dungeon, my character is an imperial warrior with the thief star sign, because I figured that would be a fairly simple character for my first play through.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Thanks guys, thats incredibly helpful!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Blazing Ownager posted:

You shouldn't try to advance the plot until you are really ready to end the game, at least past the radio station. That's as far as you should go, period. Unless you bought the expansion (thus replacing the horrid ending), then you can go ahead and finish the plot whenever you feel ready since it won't just abruptly come to a retarded end on you.

And no, you really don't need secondary gun skills. You can almost always find some small arm to run with if you need to. In fact I'd only recommend a secondary skill if you are primarily a melee character.

Also make sure you do some exploring! There's lot of sub-plots, and I mean LOTS (I missed the majority the first time around), so take your time and enjoy all the little stories in the game, too.

Well, I wouldnt go that far; Advance the plot at least until you find your father. You can go a bit further than that if you like, just be aware that when you are asked to find a G.E.C.K you are past the two thirds mark of the storyline quest, and might want to leave it there until you are ready to end the game (the next few quests are in fairly quick succession).

I'd agree on the other two points; With small guns you dont need a secondary combat skill really. I always take one whatever my main combat skill eventually to give me a bit of variety, but you dont need to. And explore like a motherfucker. But! Unless you have already been directed to them by the main quest, DO NOT; Talk to Dr Li in rivet city or enter Casey Smiths Garage. Talking Dr Li or going in to Casey Smiths can sequence break the main quest, skipping a chunk in the middle.

Also, bear in mind that unless you got broken steel, the level cap is 20. If you are planning on getting broken steel by the way, I would hold off buying it until you are at level 20, or at the start of the mission titled "take it back". Basically there are a few small glitches with it (mainly the radio constantly announcing that its 2 weeks since <original ending of the game> even if you havent even found your father yet).

By level 8 you've probably figured out pretty much everything else you need to know. The only thing I'd add just in case is one thing the game never mentions; While hacking, if in the same line there is an open bracket (of any kind) and matching closed bracket, you can select the open bracket, and it will input all the junk in the bracket. It doesnt take up one of your guesses, and it either replenishes your guesses or removes a wrong answer. So for example <"£$&^$")>&^* would work, selecting <"£$&^$")>.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gaz-L posted:

I'm fairly sure the brackets thing is explained. Just, y'know, read the manual. (I seriously can't understand people who don't at least skim the things.)

Well, if anyone actually read manuals, this thread would be about half as long...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mecha Labrador posted:

Just a quick question on Fallout 3 and the GNR quest.

People keep saying that talking to Dr. Li will break the quest, but can't you just go back to Three Dog, and have him offer you the key to his private stash as a bonus? I was under the impression that doing this was the only way to access the stash. Or is there some other way I'm not aware of? Do you lose anything for not doing GNR first?

You can pass a speech check to get him to tell you what he knows about your father, then he still gives you the GNR quest with the location of the cache (which frankly isnt all that wonderful anyway) instead of the information as a reward.

What you lose is the scripted sequence of meeting Sarah Lyons/The BOS on your way to GNR. If you dont sequence break, when you go to GNR and its attacked by a behemoth then the BOS will help you, but more usefully there is a fatman on the corpse of a dead paladin next to the fountain that you can use to make the fight much easier. If you dont meet the BOS then that isnt there. If you really want to get the cache, technically the best thing to do is go to GNR, have the fight outside it, dont go in but go to rivet city and talk to Dr Li. Then fast travel back to GNR and go talk to threedog. Bypasses the need for a (fairly difficult I think) speech check.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

AnotherBodak posted:

Having quite a lot of trouble with Prototype - not sure if it's me or the controls, but I find myself getting blown up quite a bit if I ever try and stand my ground and take on more than 2-3 tanks and helicopters. I'm about an hour or so in,and have just lost my powers thanks to the virus the army guy gave me with mostly health and movement powers upgraded.

Any suggestions?

To be honest, you shouldnt be standing still when fighting, like ever. I'd also recommend hijacking as many tanks/helicopters as you can, if memory serves you dont take any damage until it blows up. Upgrading your health and getting the whipfist "remote hijacking" power (whatever it was called) are way more important than any of the combat upgrades (they are mainly pretty useless). Movement powers are also invaluable. Any time you are running low on health, run down a sidestreet, grab someone while running then consume them. Its marginally harder if you are going for the "no innocents killed" type acheivement, but in that case 1) grab an infected or a soldier and 2) gently caress that achievement anyway.

For the particular part you are at, I dont remember any specific advice, just power through until you get the powers back its not actually that much further into the game.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Echoes posted:

Anything I should know before I dive into Fallout 3, it's my first time playing this kind of game.

Okay, this is gonna be a wall 'o text, which I will try to keep spoiler free.

First up, things that are in the manual, but you would be amazed how many people dont know about. Your pip-boy has a built in torch. On the Xbox you turn it on and off by holding down B. When you are hacking computers, move the cursor around and if it highlights a matching open and closed bracket select that, it will either eliminate a wrong answer or replenish your guesses. If you are drinking from a water source you can hold down the button to keep drinking instead of repeatedly pressing the button. You can fast travel to locations you have already discovered through the pip-boy map. VATS exists. That last one is because a couple of people in the "times you missed a vital game mechanic" thread somehow missed it, despite it being part of the manditory tutorial section.

Oh, and if you get a book that goes to your inventory, you can read it to gain a skill point. I was an idiot and didnt figure that out for like 5 hours playtime.

Secondly, general hints about the game.

1) Dont try to be a jack of all-trades. If you try to do melee AND energy weapons AND big guns AND small guns you will spread yourself too thin. Pick maybe 2 combat skills to specialise in. Small guns are the most powerful/plentiful near the begining of the game, energy weapons take over around the two thirds mark.

2) I would NOT recommend either unarmed or melee for your first play through. If you want to give either of them a go, you NEED to also boost stealth to get close enough to enemies, and you NEED a back-up combat skill (most people go explosives) because there are the occasional enemies that you just cant reach.

3) The tutorial starts with you as a baby, but you dont need to worry about any decisions you make until Amata wakes you up with news about your dad. At that point, if you want to have all options open to you, try to get out of the vault WITHOUT killing the overseer, and looting everything you can carry on the way. If you do kill him its not a huge deal, but a later quest has fewer possible outcomes.

4) On your way out of the vault, you may want to grab the medicine bobblehead from your dads desk. If you dont, you only get one other chance to get it in the game. If you are wanting to get all the bobbleheads, you NEED to get that one either during the initial escape or the trouble on the home front quest. The only other permanently missable one is in raven rock. You only get one chance to get that one.

5) The game autosaves just before you leave the vault, and lets you change all your skills and stats, how you look, everything. If you want another playthrough, just load that save and make changes and off you go.

6) Lockpicking and Science are both important if you want all the loot. Speech lets you bypass a few minor bumps, and get better rewards, but isnt vital. Similarly Barter. Repair is important, unless you are running an unarmed character.

7) It is possible to sequence-break the main quest. If you want to see all of it, there are a couple of places you do not want to go into if you find them through randomly exploring, before a quest directs you to them. DO NOT go into; the rivet city science lab, Caseys garage or Galaxy News Radio. Obviously once a quest tells you to go there, you can.

8) If you are thinking about getting the DLC for it, the general consensus in the Fallout 3 thread boils down to: Broken Steel is great (and extends the main storyline, without this the end of the story is game over, with this you can get back to the wasteland after completing the story). Point lookout is also great for high-level characters. The Pitt is decent. Operation anchorage is linear and pretty much just combat, but with fantastic rewards. Mothership Zeta is frankly missable.

9) Dont bother taking the perks that give you +10% experience (swift learner). There is more than enough content in the game to have you hitting the level 20 (30 with broken steel) level caps without them. Similarly, I personally find the perks that give you +5 to 2 skills to be a waste of time. On the other hand, the perks that give extra skill points every level or everytime you read a book (Educated and Comprehension) are well worth taking as soon as possible.

10) You can stash things in containers and come back for them later, however most containers arent secure and the stuff you put in them may vanish. The only secure containers are in your house. There are only 2 houses in the game you can obtain, and you can only get one or the other, not both. Which one you get depends on your resolution of the "Power of the Atom" quest. Personally for a first playthrough I would recommend saving the town to get a house there, but whatever floats your boat. If you decide to go the other way, remember to loot the place before you do it. Including the strength bobblehead in Lucas Simms house. If you blow it up, its gone. You can get his key by pickpocketing him or by killing him and looting the corpse

Lastly, if you are wanting to break the game over your knee and make it your bitch:
Get the Operation Anchorage expansion. It scales to your level, I've run a level 5 character through it before without significant problems. The rewards for this mission include a laser sniper rifle, power armour training, power armour that doesnt degrade and the chinese stealth suit, otherwise known as the easy mode armour. You can also do the quest in rivet city to find the runaway robot ridiculously early, get his gun (the best energy weapon for about 75% of the game) and then the reward for turning him in.

If you come across frosted sugar bombs, pre-war books or scrap metal, stockpile them until you find the characters who will buy each off you for signicant amounts of caps.

If you have a lot of patience you can leave the vault, go up the hill to the barn behind the vault enterance which is a random encounter spot. Reload until you get a good random encounter (either the one where you find a wounded deathclaw and a wastelander with the dart gun schematics, or the crashing alien ship).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

stratdax posted:

The way I usually play these games is to do all the optional quests first before proceding with the main quest. The quest I'm currently working on is the Wasteland Survival Guide, and I have to go to Rivet City. In fact, I'm already there.

I have the "Following in his Footsteps" quest - the next step is for me to go to Galaxy News Radio.

I talked to the Doctor at Rivet City looking for more history to Rivet City (the Optional quest for Moira), and that completed the Following in his Footsteps quest (but I didn't get the achievement). How much of the main quest did I just miss? If the next stop after GN Radio was going to be Rivet City anyway, then I don't care. But if not, I'll load an earlier save and leave Rivet City until the main quest directs me to there. Is it worth it to do the Galaxy News Radio?

Not much. Three dog was going to tell you to go talk to Dr Li. If memory serves all you've really done is made a fight outside GNR slightly harder and changed the reward for the GNR quest (instead of telling you to talk to dr Li, he gives you a key to his secret stash).

I wouldnt bother reloading to be honest. I'm not sure if the achievement will unlock when you talk to threedog eventually, so if you are bothered about that (and dont intend another playthrough) you might want to just load an earlier save, go talk to threedog, get the acheivement and then resume your current game.

The other good news is that you are now past the point where you can sequence break the quest any further as far as I remember.

Oh, and to mention again, if there are any sidequests you want to do and you dont have broken steel, get them all done before you follow the giant robot (you'll know it when it happens) Without the expansion the game ends when you finish that quest, and shortly after you follow him is the point of no return for the mission.

Edit: Beaten! I assumed you had done more stuff since talking to dr li, if its 2 minutes, then go for it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Secret Ooze posted:

I bought myself Bioshock and have been having fun luring splicers into water to shock them. Im not much further than when you first get Electro Bolt, what should I be doing to get the most out of this game?

Any second now someone is going to post to tell you how to break the game, personally I think to get the most fun out of the game, you just play it how you want to play it. The only things I'd say are that mathematically, you are better to save all the little sisters than harvest them, and that the chemical thrower is theoretically the best gun (although I played through the game twice and used it maybe 4 times total, its still technically the best gun with the electric gel).

Oh, actually, if you want to get all the upgrade stations, and all the audio logs, dont (repeat DO NOT) kill Sander Cohen in front of his artwork. You'll know the bit when it happens. If you dont kill him you can get into his apartment later for an audio log and an upgrade station.

Other than that, go nuts, its a great game.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

You can keep taking pictures of the same thing, they just become worth less and less each time. I don't know if eventually you wouldn't be able to get anything from one subject.

If memory serves you get 3 usuable shots, worth less each time, and even then I think the last one pretty much has to be them attacking or multiple subjects.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 2, 2009

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Olaf The Stout posted:

1 How do clan auctions work? I understand the better nature of the game and have gotten decent with it, but is there any overall tips you have? What does it mean to own a region?

3 When I go to the bazaar and enter some items, most of the time it produces a "???" type good, but sometimes I already know the good my items are going to produce. Should I just buy it anyway, or is it redundant?

I can help with these 2 at least:

1. You can tell what other people are going to bid each round based on what their avatar was doing (crouching, walking, running, jumping). From memory the clan auctions are worth doing, but not a huge deal if you gently caress them up, but I only got about halfway through the game, they might become more important later (although they come up every year for each region anyway, so you only gain/lose control of the area for a year).

2. At the Bazaar when you are turning in items, it puts one of those items into the shop for sale, rather than into your inventory. If its ??? that means its an item you havent seen before, if it tells you then you have. Only trade in for a known item if you know you want it, otherwise its a waste. So (for example) if your trade in comes up as "fire stave", then if you trade in your stuff you get a fire stave put into the shop (you still have to buy it, and once you buy it you have to trade in more stuff before you can buy another one).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I just picked up Hitman: Blood Money on the 360 for peanuts. I have never played any of the hitman games. Anything I should know before I start?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Scalding Coffee posted:

There are those tentacles that grab you into their hole and those that flatten you. Having a bit more health is always helpful in case you ran out of kits or just got hit too hard that one time you forgot to heal to full.

Go play impossible mode.

Also, if memory serves the game doesnt pause while you go into your inventory to heal, so having a bigger maximum health can be useful as it means you are less likely to die when you are trying to heal.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I need some hints on Blood Bowl. I played the board game about 10 years ago, but I'm getting absolutely destroyed by elves in the 360 version. On top of which, I cant seem to get the inducements to work right. I hit "start match" and find that I have 80,000 gold to spend on inducements due to difference in team rating. Everything costs 100,000. So I quit to menu, reload, put 20,000 of my treasury into petty cash and find that I STILL only have 80,000 for inducements.

I'm playing career mode, turn based version, normal difficulty. With a human team. Also, if anyone knows a way to make the camera suck less or to change the size of the on-screen text (short of mounting a magnifying glass on the lower right of my TV, I cant find a single drat display option) that would help too. Enjoying the game even with all that though.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

From the wiki: http://www.centipeed.com/wsik/index.php/Site/MassEffect

The first two replies are

quote:

- Get Rich quick. No, really, get the "Rich" achievement as soon as possible, don't save anything as far as gear or drops, just sell it all, and sell it all to the doctor on the Citadel for max profit. There are exploits for infinite money, you don't have to use them, but the game is criminally easy as soon as you can get your hands on Spectre gear.

- Dont worry about getting the Rich achievement, it will come with time. AS you level up, the equipment that enemies carry gets better and you can sell it and be swimming with money. Just keep playing. Besides, that stuff makes the game really easier.

I'm literally about to start Mass Effect (I bought the drat thing with my xbox about 2 years ago, its never been in the drive yet, so its probably about time) and I dont know who to believe!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nitramster posted:

I've learned I have the day off tomorrow and decided to try to beat Half-Life 2 finally. I never got past some bullshit trap vent in HL1 (there are a couple of soldiers outside of it if anyone else got stuck there at any point) so I read the wiki before I started on 2. I'm just about an hour into 2, I've gotten this far about 3 times now and always get bored :(

I digress though, im focused this time damnit! I need to know why goons love this game so much so I was just wondering if there are any tips or poo poo i should know about certain points to keep me moving and kicking rear end. How long is the game anyways?

Seriously, the airboat section is a drag, the game picks up again after that. You just need to get your head down and power through. And the episodes are better than HL2 as well.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Perfect Potato posted:

Fallout 3: Focus on repair, small arms and lockpick at first, then max out everything through skillbooks and bobbleheads and get all 9's or 10's in stats if you have Broken Steel. It's insanely easy if you have an 8 or 9 in intelligence at the beginning. Perks too, I was basically taking whatever in the Broken Steel upper levels since I had all the good ones already.

To be honest, I wouldnt advise people to try to max out their character on their first run through, because then that means they have to hunt down the bobbleheads, and frankly most people will need a guide for that.

Just play the game, enjoy it, and accept that you will not see everything on your first playthrough. Hell, I've played through the game 3 times with different characters up to level 30 and I still havent seen everything.

What hasnt been mentioned on this page is that its possible to sequence break the main quest:

To avoid sequence-breaking do the story quests up until you talk to three-dog in person. Or at least dont go exploring the three mentioned locations rivet city, jefferson memorial and casey smiths garage. If you do then you miss out on a helpful encounter on the way to meet threedog. Specifically: If you skip over meeting three-dog and sequence break his part of the main quest then you dont meet up with lyons pride on your way to GNR, and have to fight the behemoth on your lonesome without the benefit of a looted fat man

If you are considering buying the DLC, Broken Steel lifts the level cap from 20 to 30 and prevents the game from ending when you complete the final storyline mission so you can freeroam, its pretty good. Point Outlook is very fun and quite challenging high level content (seriously, level 20+ would be recommended). Those are the 2 best ones. The Pitt is decent, Anchorage is linear as hell but with game-breaking rewards, and Mothership Zeta is frankly tedious.

General fallout 3 hints:

1) Dont try to be a jack of all-trades. If you try to do melee AND energy weapons AND big guns AND small guns you will spread yourself too thin. Pick maybe 2 combat skills to specialise in. Small guns are the most powerful/plentiful near the begining of the game, energy weapons take over around the two thirds mark.

2) I would NOT recommend either unarmed or melee for your first play through. If you want to give either of them a go, you want to also boost stealth to get close enough to enemies, and you NEED a back-up combat skill (most people go explosives) because there are the occasional enemies that you just cant reach.

3) The tutorial starts with you as a baby, but you dont need to worry about any decisions you make until Amata wakes you up with news about your dad. At that point, if you want to have all options open to you, try to get out of the vault looting everything you can carry and WITHOUT killing the overseer on the way. If you do kill him its not a huge deal, but a later quest has fewer possible outcomes.

4) If you are wanting all the bobbleheads (or just some free skill points) On your way out of the vault, you may want to grab the medicine bobblehead from your dads desk . If you dont, you only get one other chance to get it in the game. If you are wanting to get all the bobbleheads, you NEED to get that one either during the initial escape or the trouble on the home front quest. The only other permanently missable one is in raven rock . You only get one chance to get that one. Or technically if you blow up megaton without getting the bobblehead from lucas simms house.

5) Dont bother taking the perks that give you +10% experience (swift learner). There is more than enough content in the game to have you hitting the level 20 (30 with broken steel) level caps without them. Similarly, I personally find the perks that give you +5 to 2 skills to be a waste of time. On the other hand, the perks that give extra skill points every level or everytime you read a book (Educated and Comprehension) are well worth taking as soon as possible.

5) The game autosaves just before you leave the vault, and lets you change all your skills and stats, how you look, everything. If you want another playthrough, just load that save and make changes and off you go.

6) Lockpicking and Science are both important if you want all the loot. Speech lets you bypass a few minor bumps, and get better rewards, but isnt vital. Similarly Barter. Repair is important, unless you are running an unarmed character.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Vander posted:

Any tips for Grand Theft Auto III, San Andreas, or Vice City? (Thank you, Steam!)

Explore a bit between missions is my main advice. Have a wander round, see what there is to see. This is partly because at times knowing the shortcuts can make missions/escaping the cops a lot easier, but mainly because you'll find weapons and armour around the place. This lets you get armour and decent guns long before the game starts giving you them or letting you buy them, and can make earlier missions much much easier. Theres usually some body armour close by most safehouses, and it respawns in the same location. Also if you cant find enough secret packages you get weapons and armour delivered to your safehouse which saves a bit of time.

Seconding whoever said to play them in order, GTA III, Vice City then San Andreas. They tweaked it each time, and going back to GTA III and finding you cant (for example) bail out of moving cars really throws you.

Across all 3 games the talk radio stations are the best stations. Anyone who tells you different is a filthy liar.

Minor correction to what Al-azad said; While the jetpack IS the best vehicle in the game, you dont get it for getting all gold in the pilot school, you get it as part of a storyline mission. I have no idea what you get for Golding the pilot school because I suck so very badly at flying in GTA games.

Edit: It might be a side mission, but I thought it was storyline.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

C-Euro posted:

EDIT: Is there any chance of the wiki being updated sometime? I was looking for Assassin's Creed II tips for a friend and didn't see them on the site, though I knew they had been posted :)

Cant speak to the wiki, although I know they were starting at page 1 and moving onwards, dont know how far they ever got, but I can pretty much remember the tips for Assassins Creed 2, as I just finished the game;

-Upgrade the villa/town as much as you can as soon as you can, dont bother spending money on weapons or armour until you've done a healthy chunk of the upgrades (at least opening the shops and well, mines, etc). Pretty soon it'll be giving you stupid amounts of money every 20 minutes to the point where you can afford all the weapons in the game without worry about it.

-Learn to counter and it makes most fights much easier.

I'll add in from my own experience: Theres a trainer outside your villa who will teach you a new move for unarmed, long weapons, knives and pistols. They arent useful to be honest (but you get an achievement for using the unarmed and long weapons one on 5 guys at once) but the unarmed one is free so you might as well.

Also, personally I found the hidden blade so useful I used it for probably upwards of 90% of the fights, occasionally switching to unarmed if I wanted to disarm someone.

There is a point in the dream sequence/flashback where I got stuck because it required you to do something I'd never had to do in the game before; Jump straight up from standing. Hold RT (on the Xbox, whatever your "high visibility manuevers button" is) and press and release A (or again, whatever your run button is) without moving the stick in any direction. You only need to do it oncein the game to get to a handhold you cnat reach otherwise.

Its a far better game than the first one, much less forced reptetition.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Centipeed posted:

It's still all operational and ready to go, as it were, but it sort of relies on contributions by helpful people with little else to do, and those tend to be few and far between.

Well, we appreciate your effort, you are doing gods work. Presuming God is real and also about to start playing Planescape: Torment and wants to know if there are any missable items, but I think that theres at least a chance.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anyone got anything for the Saboteur? Things I should do/unlock as soon as possible, so on and so forth?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Masa posted:

People have given lots of advice for Fallout 3 but what about the DLC? When should I start each one? I just got the GOTY version and I don't want to end up starting them too early in the game and ending up with equipment that leaves me overpowered for the rest of the game or anything. And does installing the DLC have any effect on the game outside of the quests they add?

The DLC generally scales to level, sort of. You can do Operation Anchorage straight out of the vault, ditto the Pitt. I'm pretty sure Mothership Zeta more or less scales too. Broken Steel adds on to the end of the main quest, so doing it too early isnt possible. Be aware though that Point Lookout is deliberately designed to be high level (20+) content, so if you head out there unprepared hillbillys WILL gently caress your poo poo up.

If you dont want to break the stealth system over your knee, I'd avoid Operation anchorage til at least level 12ish. One of the rewards for the quest is a fantastic stealth suit that can essentially make you the predator.

The pitt I would do whenever you feel like it, some of the rewards are good but nothing is game breaking.

Mothership Zeta is (for me) the least compelling of the DLC, again the rewards are decent/interesting but not really game breaking as far as I remember.

As I said, if you arent level 20 or above, I wouldnt take the ferry to Point Lookout.

Broken steel can sometimes cause Threedog (the DJ) to report on storyline events that havent happened yet on your radio. I'd avoid installing it until either you are level 18/19 or you are about to follow a big robot.

As other people have stated, the only one that has any real effect on the gameworld outside of their own little areas is Broken Steel, but you shouldnt see most of that stuff until you are high level anyway.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gynovore posted:

Also Cherry Bombs and Lawnmower Blades.

To emphasise; You dont need to lug all this poo poo around, Once you get a house by either saving megaton or blowing it up you can plank it all in one of your cupboards*. Most of what was listed you only want a few of. The scrap metal, prewar books and sugar bombs can be sold/traded to specific people for a decent hunk of caps, the nuka cola quantum you need 30 of for an optional quest, the rest is used to make various weapons. To be honest most of the spare parts are pretty common so I wouldnt worry about them too much.

*I think it tells you in the game, but if you put something in a container that you dont own, it might be there when you go back for it... or it might not. The only containers that are "safe" are the ones in your house.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SpazmasterX posted:

A couple important things you should know, but play your own way.

-Seriously. Traps are actually really useful. Not that wind trap power you can get though. Don't bother.

Honestly, I liked the wind trap power this time round. Level 1 is okay, but when its level 2 you can charge up the trap with another plasmid, so as well as throwing them in to the air it electrocutes them/sets them on fire/holds them suspended/covers them with bees/whatever. Although level 3 which lets you set them on the walls and ceiling is totally pointless.

If you are defending a little sister, before you put her down cover the drat room in trap rivets/proximity grenades (you can pick up the ones that dont get set off afterwards), set wind traps in any water and charge it with electricity, traps in oil get charged with fire, and personally I just like covering everyone with bees because I find it hilarious.

They did a decent job this time around of making sure most of the powers are useable, so dont worry about it too much, just buy/upgrade the ones you like. The only ones I found totally useless were Scout and Hypnosis. I'd also buy and upgrade to level 2 the security alert plasmid, being able to summon friendly bots at will is fantastic.

I would buy plasmid slots/gene tonic slots whenever you can, you get a load of the good tonics from research (as soon as you get the camera research EVERYTHING) or just through the game giving them too you, particularly if you are saving the little sisters.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

pseudorandom name posted:

One more Fallout 3 tip: I told y'all to save your game often and not to rely on the autosaves, but here's one more critical piece of advice: Use multiple save files. At least three in rotation, maybe more. Maybe create a new save every time. They don't seem to get above 10 megabytes each, so a single play through will only run you about a gigabyte in storage if you keep all of them.

I discovered the hard way that the game can create saves that crash on load when both the autosave and my most recent manual save towards the end of Mothership Zeta locked up the game -- for some reason I got to and finished the bridge sequence without the girl (Sarah?) following me and the game was not happy about that at all afterwards because she was trapped behind a permanently locked door or something. Weirdly enough, it had alternate dialog for Somah to take Sarah's place, but it locked up when I tried to teleport back to Earth.

Fortunately, I had another backup save shortly before the broken saves, but if that one had been messed up also, I would've lost more than 90 hours of game play.

Dont use a new save each time, apparently there is some bizarre bug if you have like 90-odd saves that... does something. I dont know what as I use a 3-save system for pretty much every RPG but there was a guy in the FO3 thread who ran into it (It really was something like 90+ saves, so you are okay with a reasonable number). I think it locked his game up or something.

Much as I love the game, it does have more than its share of bugs and glitches (although personally I didnt run into that many that locked up my Xbox or anything, and nothing that broke the game). Probably a good idea to have a couple of save files and dont have all of them saved over too close to gether.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ArchRanger posted:

I'm considering buying Dark Void. Anything I should know?

Dont. I'm not even kidding, I'm not being that guy, I'm trying to stop you making a mistake I made. I own it because I figured "Its made by some of the guys who were invovled somehow with Crimson Skies which I liked, and it looks a bit like the rocketeer which was good, so...". Game is terrible, and freezes up my xbox like 50% of the time. I'm totally serious, about one time out of every two I put the disk into the xbox it freezes up, usually on the title menu.

If you have to play it, the flying bits play a bit like Crimson Skies retarded cousin, but with half the maneuvers removed. The fastest way to clear enemy fliers (of which I've so far only seen one kind) is to shoot them a bit, then do the lovely quicktime event to hijack them, then shoot the next one a bit, bail out and do the lovely quicktime event. There really isnt terribly much to know about the game to be honest.

The on-foot bits are a pretty poor cover shooter, where blind firing and melee attacks will actually get you pretty far. You'll probably have about 5 times as many game crashes as you will deaths in most areas.

Oh, and dont try and hit the jetpack in a designated on foot section, you'll be launched into a wall and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

monkeymagic posted:

I'm about to play through the first Bioshock and I've come to the stage where I can harvest the little girl for ADAM or save her. Is there a significant difference in the storyline or game if I choose either decision? Or does it pretty much end up in the same way?

Pick a side and stick with it. There are 2 endings*, one for saving them all, one for harvesting them. As for which is stronger in the game (spoilered as I'm not sure if thats what you are asking for or not) You get more adam right away for harvesting them, but if you save them you will occasionally be given an aid package with some ADAM and unique tonics and so on. I believe if you are going to deal with all of them in the game rather than just the ones you have to you are better off saving rather than harvesting Personally I saved them because I have a hard time being a dick in videogames. The story of the game until the ending cinematic is the same either way.

*Technically there are 3, but I believe the middle one is just the bad one with a slightly different voiceover. This annoyed some people, but the way I see it, either you are playing as someone who will kill little girls to save himself or you arent. Theres not really a lot of wiggle room on that one.