Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

goblinsdoexist posted:

System Shock 2

I have never played this game before however I am very interested. What mods should I get? Should I just go vanilla?

General tips also appreciated.

*If you have the latest official version, then plain vanilla is fine. Although you may want to read the readme file for how to lower, or shut off weapon degradation and monster respawns. Generally, I like the respawn rate as it is, but the original weapon degradation rate is a bit too high, and prefer to set it at about 0.5.

*Get a good set of headphones, turn out the lights, and play at night for the first two levels or so. There's a reason this game shows up all the time on scariest games list.

*Broken shotguns still have one shell in them. So if you come across any shotgun wielding maniacs whose shotguns always break once they die, pick up the shotgun, unload the ammo, then toss the gun.

*Don't try to kill a protocol droid with a wrench. You're probably gonna try it anyways just to see what happens. Fine, save your game before you try to kill a protocol droid with a wrench.

*Either go all out with Psi, or don't do it at all. You can try being Navy or Marine with a bit of Psi power on the side, but you're pretty much gimping yourself.

*The code to get past the recreation deck is either 11046 or 14106.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Some more Evil Genius notes:

TGLT posted:

-Something you aren't quite told, you have to assemble the totem pole on the first island. It just refuses to fit together on the second. If it's not complete, it's just a pile of cursed Mayaztecan furniture.

-Another note about it the totem pole is that the pieces drain stats until the pole is completed, so store them in the freezer.

-The game doesn't explain it, but once you've researched freaks, you can create them by tossing body-bags into the bio-vat. If you want to get rid of them, tag them for weakening. They kill every agent they see, tagged or untagged, but they're handy if you've got waves of soldiers coming to your base.

-Don't make a spot completely inaccessible with objects. If you have an odd-shaped room where there's a tile that's blocked by items, saboteurs and thiefs can tunnel in underground and start destroying your poo poo.

-If a minion deserts due to low loyalty, you can capture them, then release them from their cell after a few seconds, and they'll go back to working for you. They run at max speed, but if you double click, they'll stop to salute you, even as twenty guys beat them up. This doesn't work for minions who desert because of a super-agent ability.

-There's an objective to steal two out of three research objects. If you get all three, you can research all the cool tech stuff, if you just get the two, you get cut off from a lot of the cool end game tech.

-Press 'P' to pause. Especially once you get to the second island, and hopefully have a couple of mil in the bank. The ability to just sit back and layout your entire lair from the get-go is pretty sweet.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 17, 2009

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Aratoeldar posted:

Arcanum

Will an NPC companion leave you if you go below their tech or magic requirements?

Been a while since I've played Arcanum, IIRC, but they won't leave you if you go below their tech or magic requirements, just for being too good or evil, or if you do something that would obviously piss them off.

That said, you'll probably want to kick them anyways, if they're really too far aligned against you on the tech/magic scale, since they'll usually be pretty worthless.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Corridor posted:

How the gently caress does that tech/magic scale even work? Does it rise with skills you acquire or with the skill usage? Why will NPC alignment make them worthless if they aren't the same as you?

It rises with the skills you get while leveling up. The in-game explanation is that tech and magic screw each other up if they're too close too each other. So if you go balls-out tech while leveling, then your NPC mage will fizzle at every spell he tries to cast.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 24, 2010

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

So finally this weekend, more than, I guess, a year and half after I bought it, I sat down to play Fallout 3 (for the 360). I'm just out of the Vault and have done the supermarket mission from Megaton, although I think I'm going to start a new game, now that I've had a chance to play the game a bit and think a bit more about skills and perks.

Anything in general I should know going into the game, beyond what's on the wiki?

A few specific questions:

Will I be well served by allocating points both to lock picking and hacking, or is it better to pick the former first? Should I prioritize repair early on above everything else?

I have all the DLC, I think, or maybe all but one of them. I have a level cap of 30, anyway, so I must have the post-game DLC. Should I generally wait on those DLC missions until later in the game? Should I do them early on? I'm not particularly concerned about getting overpowered and having the game be too easy, but I don't want to mess up the main campaign by getting to DLC too early (if that's even possible)

Point Lookout has some enemies that are a bit tougher than most of the stuff you'll find in the wasteland, so you'll probably want to wait until you're in the high teens or 20+ before doing it. Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta can both be done straight out of the vault.

Lockpicking is a bit more useful than hacking, so you'll be a bit better off putting more points into it than hacking. There really aren't any superweapons that are locked away, so if you can't open a door, it's not that big of a deal, since you usually have the option of going back later.

I usually focus on combat skill > repair > lock pick > hacking > medicine, and then spread a point on other skills like explosives and speech. Also, don't bother with the perk that gives extra XP, since there is so much stuff to do already.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 28, 2010

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

BigTeaBag posted:

I am just now getting around to Bioshock. Any advice? I have already started on hard mode. Will I regret that?

Playing on hard mode just gives the enemies more health and they hit a bit harder. If you're an FPS vet, and can pull off a bit of circle-strafing, then it isn't that hard.

If you're playing a patched up PC version, you can disable Vita-Chambers in the gameplay options to make death actually matter. (Not sure about the console versions.)

If you're running low on ammo in the early part of the game and don't feel like picking a fight with a Big Brother, you can always go back later.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
A few other notes on Fallout 3:

1.)Stealth is affected by your Pip Boy light and your radio, so if you're trying to sneak around with the flashlight and radio on, everybody is going to see you coming from a mile away. The nice thing about sneaking around is that successful sneak attacks are always crits.

2.)Early in the game, you'll probably run into a kid who wants you to help him find his dad. You'll want to hold off on doing that quest until you have a decent amount of ammo and raised your weapon skills.

3.)Even if you don't have many points in explosives, mines are useful for kiting around some of the tougher enemies that like to fight with melee or unarmed. Plus, they usually cripple your opponent's legs, so they run even slower.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Binowru posted:

Just picked up Fallout 3 and Assassin's Creed II, both on Xbox 360. School me. I already know I should probably be playing Fallout on a PC, but well, it was cheap.

For Fallout 3, for your first time playthrough, you'll probably want to tag small guns, repair, and lockpick.

For a little bit of min/max playing, Charisma is considered by most players to be a fairly crappy stat, since it only affects your starting barter and speech, which aren't that useful. Intelligence, on the other hand, is good for all play types, since it affects the number of skill points you get when you level up.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Crowetron posted:

So, I'm about to start Fallout 1 & 2. I've played both before, but I never get very far because I'm really bad at them. Any advice?

And while I'm asking, do I need to do anything special to get them to play properly on Windows 7? I'm using the Fallout Trilogy versions if that makes any difference.

There are some fan patches over at NMA that fix a lot of bugs.

A few tips:

-Don't give followers automatic weapons, especially in FO1. Ian:argh: with an SMG is more likely to kill you than a Supermutant with a rocket launcher. Cassidy is probably the one exception for this.

-Save often. You might be able to shrug off a rocket to the face in Power Armor, but getting critically hit and having your armor bypassed can kill you in one turn.

-You can speed up combat in the options. A lot of the fights can be excruciatingly slow with people shuffling about. You can also turn the gore level up to max to get the same effect as the Bloody Mess trait.

-Fallout 2 has probably the worst starter dungeon in the history of RPGs. You can cheese it by kicking a giant ant, then walking away and kiting the ants.

-Accept that you're probably not going to be able to do everything on the first playthrough. If you're at 5 Int and 5 St, then you're probably not going to be a fantastic boxer or chess champion.

-You can set a waypoint near The Glow, and pump yourself full of Rad-resistance meds before actually going into The Glow. Otherwise, you have about a half second window before you're horribly irradiated.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 12, 2010

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's horrible advice. Gambling is a great way to break the game.

Ok maybe not everyone wants to do that but still. But to say theres "no need" isnt really right.

High barter can also break the game, at least in Fallout 2. With quest discounts, vendors will buy high/sell low. They also sell books, so it's possible to exploit a vendor to get yourself up to 100 guns, science, and medicine, plus several thousand caps, and all the ammo you could eat.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Anything beyond this stuff for Orcs Must Die?

A bit late, but a few tips for Orcs Must Die:

-It's a hybrid tower defense game. While traps help out, you really need to kill a lot of Orcs yourself. Once you start getting the fire/ice/lightning abilities, abuse the hell out of them.

-The tooltip for the brimstone trap is a bit misleading, and makes it read like a one time use item. It does have a cool down period, but unlike a lot the mechanical traps, it doesn't have a reaction time, making it perfect for killing kobold runners. (Whoever runs over the brimstone trap while it is active gets burned.)

-Don't worry too much about trying to get 5-skulls in the earlier levels. It's drat near impossible. You can re-visit those levels later on, with better traps, and make them trivially easy.

-Look for corners where enemies have to make hard turns, or even U-turns, and trap the hell out of those corners. Kobolds can and will run right past wall arrow traps and floor spikes with one space before it ever fires. Force them to run through the entire range of the arrow traps. That will usually kill those bastards.

-When you open up your spellbook at the beginning of a level, you'll see what enemies you have to face on that level. You can mouse over them to see their weaknesses. So if you see a flame Ogre, bust out the frost gloves. If the Frost Ogre shows up, then fire gloves.

-You can sell off traps without a loss. This is really handy on Rebirth, where you have to trap the hell out of the North Spawn point for the first 3 levels, then the next 3 levels spawn from the south. Then you get a break, and can put traps back in the north spawning area.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Is the Tropico series worth playing and if so what am I in for?

If you like Simcity style city planning games, they're pretty fun. Depending on the version you're playing, you can easily face either an American or Russian invasion. Tropico 4 makes it a bit easier to keep both sides happy.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

TheUkuleleFanboy posted:

Any tips for Spacechem?

-You can move the Start command like every other command, and right click to change the starting direction.

-You can drag your mouse to select multiple commands. So if you want to restart a level you can select everything and press delete.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Agnostalgia posted:

The first two Fallouts were better about that because having different stats and skills tended to open up different dialogue options. A dumb character or one good at science could get some new options besides the default ones, as could a character focused on persuasion.

Torment's issue is that one type of character--a wise, charismatic one--has all the regular dialogue options, plus more that no one else gets. Basically, there is extra content based on build, but only for one build. So you're losing out on a lot if you do anything else.

New Vegas has a lot of that as well, with quite a few checks for skills like science or medicine, and some extra options for low int characters. If you want to be a super diplomatic character that talks their way past their problems, you're going to want to put points into speech, but it's not going to solve every quest.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

Just started playing Mass Effect. I checked the wiki, which gives some contradictory information. I have some specific questions.

1. I know somehow characters and decisions persist through the sequels. Will certain decisions end up costing me a lot of story in sequels? E.g., if you let such-and-such die, you miss a lot of cool dialogue/backstory/quests.

2. If you do multiple playthroughs with one character, can you complete multiple ally achievements? Do they all persist in the sequel?

3. For that matter, does any amount of min/maxing or achievements apply in any significant way to the sequels, or do you get a somewhat fresh start in terms of your character?

4. For party composition, how important is diversity? I'm really digging Wrex's and Garrus' dialogue, but they're kind of redundant for my soldier.

5. Can you switch Shepard's class on a subsequent playthrough without starting from scratch? I know soldier is supposedly the easiest for the first game, but is there any big story/content advantage to choosing a different class?

For background, my main interest in an RPG is usually getting the most story content. I generally don't have time for more than one or two playthroughs on most games these days, so I try to get the most out of each run. This often involves min/maxing mainly to unlock the maximum dialogue. I'm willing to do fetch quests if they unlock something really useful, new quests, etc. but not for crap like development artwork or something equally inane.

Conversely, if I'm not going to miss much by just pursuing stories/missions without trying to find every hidden piece of debris on each planet, then I'll just press forward.

1.) Nothing huge. While choices you make are referenced, it's more of a, "Hey, remember that time we did that thing?" So if you choose to let a character die, for any important quests, they usually get replaced by generic NPCs.

2.) I believe if you hit a million spacebucks, it unlocks some higher end weapons, and it carries over across characters. Personally, I found dealing with the crappy inventory system not worth the hassle.

3.) You get a bit of bonus XP and some of your paragon/renegade alignment carries over into the sequels depending on your level and alignment. If you're worried about it, you can go to https://www.masseffectsaves.com/ and grab a 100% completion shep with the choices you want. (Warning, whole lot of spoilers there.)

4.) It depends on the difficulty. My first time playing as a soldier, I usually had Tali and Liara in my party most of the time, just because their abilities complement the soldier's abilities pretty well. If you're killing stuff pretty easily with Garrus and Wrex, feel free to keep using them.

5.) Yep, Bioware made some pretty big changes to the way the different classes work in ME2, so when loading up a ME save in ME2 you get the option to switch classes. There's no real story changes between classes, it mostly affects combat.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Same here. DA2 was definitely a disappointing sequel, but by no means an awful game in its own right. I'd ignore everyone telling you to avoid it at all costs, it's at least worth playing to see if you like it. If not, fair enough, but it's not an objectively bad game or anything.

It's also one of the rare games out there with a free demo for you to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

bvoid posted:

Gonna pick up Planescape: Torment for the first (second) time. The first time I played it for about an hour and got too busy. I know about the widescreen mod and everything, but the first time I played it, I learned later on that there's little things I missed in the first area, and that bugged me. It had something to do with not killing a guard and getting back a memory or something. Is getting all these memories important from a completionist standpoint, or are they things that won't really matter in the long run? Also tips and tricks for someone who has played a ton of Infinity Engine games besides this one would be awesome.

Basically, stack Wisdom, and for most of the game if you die, just pick yourself up and carry on. You are immortal after all. Hell, you have to die to unlock some abilities.