Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sentient Toaster posted:

Play the game however you want. That's why it's awesome.

This. No, really. Without sperging too much its one of the few games I replay every x number of years and besides the quality of the game and the nostalgia its just how open-ended it is. First time I played, way way back, I pretty much ignored combat skills and sneaked myself about. Second time through I wanted to quicken things up so I blew the poo poo out of everything that moved. And it works either way.

3rd time through I decided to be quite methodical and explore the place as thoroughly as my patience allowed. There still nooks, crannies, items, loot and drops scattered about that I didn't see the first 2 times and that applied to the subsequent 2 or 3 times I've played through.

Its partially an aspect of how the engine the games based on (Dark Engine?) works. Unlike, say, the Source engine, picking up items is generally a case of looking at them and clicking rather than running on top of them. Makes it quite possible to stuff secrets all over the maps. SAme thing applied in System Shock 2 and of course the Thief games.

But then again I'm gay for all the Dark Engine games so beware the stench of fanboyism emanating from my words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nate RFB posted:

Well then, if I'm really only in it for the story should I follow a guide/FAQ/walkthrough?

Depends on how much you like a challenge. I'll just put it out there that I stopped playing Planescape because of an event early on where I had to run about like a headless chicken looking for a hammer and a chisel to repair a wall or some such bullshit.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Astfgl posted:

Other general PS:T tips:

I am saving this in a text file on my desktop and keeping it there until the day I finally get round to playing PS:T again.

Y'know, after I've ran through the Thief series, and Dragon Age. And Phsyconauts.

Because if I'd started with it, I don't think I'd have gave up.

Also, can someone familiar with Planescape Torment confirm whether I've done these things in my latest playthrough. Its just I've done the first 4 hours of that game a handful of times so I'm not sure about the progression:

I stopped at a part where I had to mend a talking wall. Does this mean I've done the whole underground segment with the Many-As-One? I really can't be hosed going through with that section again but I don't remember if you do that before the wall mending quest.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 1, 2010

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blastinus posted:

-Most importantly, if you're fighting against individual enemies, use the knife on them when they're down on the ground. It's very useful for saving ammo.

Actually, you don't realy have to bother with this. The more ammo you use, the more the game throws at you so its perfectly ok to be blast happy.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Any specific tips I should take into account for Dragon Age: Origins. Bearing in mind I'm an elf mage. I've just arrived at Redcliffe and I'm enjoying the game. The only thing surprising me is I'm enjoying the plot far more than the combat which is fun but feels a bit too hectic.

I'm playing on Normal with Alastair, Morrigan and some Rouge womam whose name I forget. Any particular tips on breaking the game by going a Blood Mage or similair tips?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anything to take into consideration before beginning the critically acclaimed godsend that is Beyond Good and Evil?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheTofuShop posted:

God of War, and subsequently, God of War II? I just bought the God of War Collection.

Thanks guys.

The majority of hidden items (to increase health and magic) are easy to find if you are thorough and explore the game areas. If you run right at the most obvious path of the camera you won't find very many. The game is great at having a ladder or a ledge or a balcony *just* offscreen.

So in between all the mindless bloodshed you should explore the maps carefully.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

I finally cracked and bought Torchlight, any tips before I dig through its actual thread?

Play on Hard becuase that game is a piece of piss.

Yes thats the same guy who did the music for Diablo 1.

You'll probably have more fun if you just jump in and play.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

enigmahfc posted:

So I was going to start a few games soon. Anyone got any things I need to know about Gears of War 2[/b]?

From what I remember, there really isn't a whole lot too it. If you see one of the "cog" decals on the wall theres a secret about somewhere but its a well designed game in the sense its always points you in the right direction and makes it obvious where you have to go in order to shoot more poo poo.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

I, uh, prefer the cutscenes from MGS, but I dig the voice acting from MGS Twin Snakes.

You *dig* the voice-acting from Twin snakes? That one boggles my mind. Its essentially the same script but you can tell the actors arn't having as much fun with it. Y'know, like how if you compare a recent Simpsons episode with one from the glory years of 10 seasons ago you can hear in the actors voices how flat and un-enthusiastic they are.

It killed a lot of Twin Snakes for me. The classic delivery of lines like "...A Hind D". or "Metal GEAR" are lost in the remake.

I don't know why they didn't use the original audio files because it was a fuckton more polished than the tripe of the remake.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

They had to record new dialogue for some new content and control prompts so they probably just decided to do the whole drat thing.

Really? After I posted my opinions I had a brief memory flash that suggested I'd read somewhere they wanted to use the old audio files but they had deleted them/lost them in a fire/somesuch bullshit. Which is a crying shame.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that makes more sense than them simply "being lost". Disagree about the accents being poo poo though. Far more character than in the original.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 28, 2011

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

McKracken posted:

Hack everything. Freezing something before you hack it makes the water move more slowly.

Hah, fancy that. Never knew.

I picked up Vanquish at the weekend. I've only bought it because its from the same people who developed Bayonetta. Any tips or tricks?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicFrog posted:

:doh: What have I been playing recently that has 1000XP/level?

Final Fantasy 8?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

al-azad posted:

You can still explore the island after finishing. The only missable achievement/trophy I'm aware of is party crasher(?). When you enter the long hallway of non-hostile thugs you have to beat them up right then and there.

I remember going into that hallways the first time I played AA and thinking "man these enemies look pretty chilled out, it would look badass if I just walked down the hallway with them cheering at the side". Yeah turns out the obvious reaction was actaully the right one. Beat the poo poo out of them for points.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm playing through Twin Snakes before I go through the MGS:HS collection. Anything I should know? I played up to Sniper Wolf once before.

If you really really fall for the series try and play the original MGS. It's probably too dated and clunky to get into thesedays but it shows that Twin Snakes is a very strange case of being a re-imagining rather than a straight up remake. I've often heard it said that Metal Gear Solid is what actually happened whilst Twin Snakes is the way Snake would tell the story to his Grandkids and if you've played both games you'll understand that sentiment.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mothership Zeta seems to be quite divisional among Fallout 3 fans. Personally, it was the DLC I was most looking forward to trying, and the first one I loaded up. Did about half of it and was so put off that I didn't touch F3 for a month or two afterwards.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Argon_Sloth posted:

I got Just Cause 2 and Infamous 2 as this month's PSN+ subscriber bonus.

Are the first games in either of these series worth playing? Or can I skip right to the second?

I'm kinda interested in this as well. When my first xbox broke I bought a new one with a bunch of games from a friend. Just Cause was in this bundle but I've never so much as glanced it. Anything of note to take into account before playing?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Doubt they'll be much but you never know with older games so what should I know before starting the Ratchet and Clank series.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Snofeld posted:

Assuming you mean the HD Collection:

Funnily enough, nope I'm playing the original. Just got a 360 here and I happened to buy it the week the HD collection gets released. Same as the price of a mini-fish-supper and I love that style of games just totally skipped by me first time round.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dark Souls I kinda fell into without knowing anything and while the first 20 hours or so of the game were frustrating it made it a far more enjoyable experience than it would have been had I wiki-trawled. Granted I've only maybe put another 10 hours in since then but its on the backlog.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Some things are explained really poorly in game though;

I agree totally with this and I've probably made at least two sperg-posts on here villifying the game for it but I still feel that it kinda works with Dark Souls becuase of its lack of leniency. Feels nice to be led by the reins rather than the hand with games thesedays.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Capsaicin posted:

God help me, DotA 2.

Find a hero you like, go on Youtube and watch a 'Purge Plays' with that hero. He'll teach you everything you want to know.

Random every once in a while, don't be one of these people who picks Faceless Void or Drow Ranger or Juggernaut every game.

Youtube really is your best bet, there is so much involved in playing a game of Dota 2 well that 'learning by doing' isn't really practical unless you have infinite time.

And finally, realise that even the most hardcore fans of Dota 2 will reach a point where they wish they hadn't invested all that time in one game just to ignore the rest of their library.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MMAgCh posted:

I don't know if it's necessarily that bad, but it is somewhat disconcerting to realise you've been playing for 500-ish hours and still are, essentially, terrible at it.

That, and also, for me personally, Dota kind of sucks the fun out of every other game I would consider playing, it ends up turning into a "well I could start this new game or I could just play another Dota match". It gets tiresome after a point, especially when your free time is limited as it is. Whatever, some people love Dota and that's fine.

Just so I'm not thread making GBS threads I'm planning on starting Transistor tonight and I've been putting it off for about a week because of some massive anxiety about it, probably since I didn't finish Bastion. Any words of advice?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

juliuspringle posted:

Anything for FTL? I'm getting tired of doing ok for awhile and then it just randomly pushing my poo poo in.

I felt the same way until I started playing on Easy but doing that made me feel like I wasn't getting the full challenge and the catch 22 between those 2 choices eventually put me off playing the game. Easy mode certainly makes it less of an annoyance to unlock the extra ships though.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

In what way is Dark 2 more forgiving than it's predecessors?

For most people, probably the hundred plus hours they put into Demon/Dark Souls.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Any quick tips for Monster Hunter 4? I've put about 5 hours in, done all the basic quests, but I feel like I'm still lost, haven't even touched anything like status effects or traps or bait, can't even decide which weapon to stick with although Sword and Shield seems most easy to understand so far.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a two-disc gamecube game that is in high demand. It is very expensive.

Its around 50 quid online in the UK which is expensive but not jaw dropping. I think I paid like £30 for mine a few years ago before it got pretty rare.

What is pretty depressing though is that I paid £80 for a PAL copy of Metal Gear 3: Subsistence and thats now dropped down to like £15 because of the HD re-releases.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anything for Don't Starve and Sleeping Dogs?

I played Don't Starve for about half an hour and it's a charming little game although I feel it tells you NOTHING

Sleeping Dogs I'm not expecting anything major I should know but hey might as well ask?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've put a good 20 hours into Binding of Isaac but the way people who know about that game talk, it sounds like a foreign language, I'm having a blast just running through the levels shooting stuff but I feel there is a bunch of hidden knowledge that would make me a more efficient player. Anything a new player should know about gameplay interactions etc?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wow Sikboy thanks

the one thing I would love is if there was a youtube video with every single item in the game and a short demonstration but I guess thats infeasible since there are so many items and combining them has so many effects

Cheers for the write up though, I had no idea that things influenced the deal with the devils/angels!

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Geektox posted:

Trying to play no-kill, no-detection put me off both DE:HR and Dishonoured. Not the games' fault, but really my stupid achievement obsession. My tip is to not play those games this way unless you hate yourself.

The worst part about that DE:HR achievement was that it didn't flag up when you automatically failed it so I, like many others, ran through the entire game feeling pretty confident I hadn't committed homicide and then no dice :cry:

Dishonored was super cool either way though, the 'clean' version of the last level was a bit drab but the changes from game to game at least made it interesting enough to play-through twice.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I bought Valkyria Chronicles after a friend of mine sung its praises to me, I know nothing about it other than it's a strategy game with some kind of anime version of World War 2, what should I know before I play?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Brutal Doom is incredible. It's basically doom ever so slightly modernised with added gore. It's hardcore poo poo man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Witcher 1 is a janky, ugly, slow, padded, low quality crap fest, and that was in 2007.